1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

How about limiting the maximum duration of a threadban?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by Guardian Box, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Guardian Box

Guardian Box Theocratic Capitalist

Mostly talking about the stuff we spew in the rants subsection.

It seems to me that the current ever-escalating threadbans are kinda-sorta completely ridiculous. We are already at what, 3 months for an offense?

It sounds ridiculous. How about limiting it to, say 1 month max? It's still a lengthy amount of time, but not so as to constitute a noticeable amount of an average person's lifespan.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. MissileTeatime

MissileTeatime By the power of Vaporware!

So what, once month max or jump to permanent threadbans? That seems, not-unreasonable to me.

I don't know the actual details, I feel like a better use of escalating threadbans would be to escalate them per person. So maybe first offense gets a one-day threadban, second offense gets two days, third offense gets four days, fourth offense gets eight.... If I'm ignoring implementation difficulties, maybe some sort of cooldown on the escalation, so if it's been long enough since your last strike you drop a level? The advantage of a escalating proportional system is it lets first-time offenders get hit with a small (but still real and meaningful) punishment, while still hitting problem people with the equivalent of a Mac truck.

Acerrrr12, january1may and Ddmkm122 like this.
  3. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

This is more Generic_Generica one kohai war on derails and rule 8 breakings... you'll need to talk to tehelgee to get someone to tell that kohai she's a loose cannon. :3

4. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

The point of the escalating threadbans is to drive home Zero Tolerance for Rule 8 Fuckery. And the point of Rule 8 was to make life tolerable for the mods; moderating political "discussion" circa January 2017 was rapidly becoming untenable, taking up big majorities of the mod team's time for a topic irrelevant to the board's actual purpose.

The alternative to a zero-tolerance policy, here, is basically to get rid of the big Rants megathreads entirely, since they're where most violations come up. One presumes the escalating threadbans are considered preferable to this policy.

5. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Is it working, though? Seems Rule 8 breaking is still rampant on SB and SV thread, despite 'zero tolerance'.

Granted, it's on the thread I don't exactly shed tears if it explode. And I imagine not being able to post there isn't terribly damaging, unlike, say, subforum ban.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. MissileTeatime

MissileTeatime By the power of Vaporware!

I don't have a problem with the zero-tolerance policy in itself. I'm just spitballing about effective enforcement.

january1may and Ddmkm122 like this.