1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

In which I briefly look over: Arcane Steam Gems

Discussion in 'General' started by Lemonbarb, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Lemonbarb

Lemonbarb Very sour Grinch

Welp, since my last thread I had to request a locking due to being unable to 'justify' buying into crowdfunding projects, period. Under a red tape stop gap called 'justification'... But that same 'tape' likely to not strangle me as much on a horribly inflated Steam Market.

I'd thought I'd cut a glance on doing on a blue moon (read, free time.) Glance, see if there's any rare gems that I 'might' (keyword, might) justify enough to put on a wishlist. However, I cannot in good faith state I'd be able to justify buying...

Word of warning (bias wise), I'd be ideally aiming for games that I might justify buying. This 'justification' bias has a very dim view on 2D Games in general (bar exception.) And especially if it looks like something you can get out of a flash game, or RPG Maker. (Unless of course, it's free, and not in a piracy sense.)
    -

First of the list, is "Apocryph: an old-school shooter". And at a rough glance... It looks like what you get if you get a Hexen clone like, but with modern day graphics at a glance...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/596240/Apocryph_an_oldschool_shooter/

Doing some digging, the developers here seem to be giving quite a lot of thought into the gameplay. If nothing else, if going lazy, it'd be worth looking into under a "Wishlist now, wait until release, then check reviews" to see how it's promise/barely alit hype goes.

-

Second is one out of many horrors, known as a 'Simulator' game. Precisely; PC Building.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/621060/PC_Building_Simulator/

And frankly, given the amount of top brands on there, on top of it working under a 'step by step' installment, I think it would likely be both educational, and possibly less therapeutic than well, building a new PC by yourself, only to say; static discharge everything to death.

Eh, if nothing else, it'd at least be a game worth buying for the computer geeks out there. :p

Only bane is, it's Early Access. But game-play alone, it looks pretty good enough to stand on it's own feet, I feel.

-

Next, is something I'd likely call "Kusoge", or something I've tagged along the lines of "Retro Bullshit" that I can NEVER in any lens, justify paying even 50p/c.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/788770/Meteor_60_Seconds/

As is however, it's free. It's quirky, and something you might get your 'half minute hero' fix in an everyday, possibly cheap quirky manner, without forking 50p/c(or other 'cent') through the internet. That, and it's probably even rarer to know of than uh... Five Night's at Freddies?

-

And that's all I've found under (glance wise?) "Popular New Releases". Now to look and see if there's anything else...

*See's piles of really bad unity games, like SHIT later...*

... At most, I've only been able to find one more project. A seemingly good looking good homage to Darkest Dungeon.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/820020/Alders_Blood/

However, between a lack of response, and a cancelled Kickstarter project, the long term state of the game is thrown into... Question (if not Jeopardy.) If nothing else, probably a case of 'better wishlist for now', and wait and see on if there's a miracle on the horizon.

And hey, at the very least, here's hoping it'd actually release, more than some certain kickstarter game calling itself Bankster. *Shrugs*

-

And... That's it for me. And in no thanks to "since Steam Direct" on just a $100 charge, and a game's ready for steam. I've had to... Wade through a micro-scopic pile of shit. Indeed, if anything, it's this sort of 'lack' of quality control that'd remind me of a certain Video Game crash of 83 (or is it 84?), and if going 'indie', probably better of trying to get on another platform, like I dunno? Ubisoft, or better yet; Nintendo?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. Lemonbarb

Another day, of relaxation (or break.) That I might as well see on looking for more possible 'eye candy'.

In advance, this is all just all "first impressions" on front pages, and such (store wise.) And saying 'I could? Buy this?' (Before the 'Ultra HD Graphics' justification rolls in.)

First on the list, is a game called "For The King", and appeal wise... I think it has a sort of unique 'look' to it, that's kinda like Shoppe Keep, or something.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/527230/For_The_King/

Visual wise, it's more 'arty' than detailed, so if you're into high end graphics only (over gameplay?) Look away now. However, glance wise, it... May? Have decent gameplay, for all I know, pitch wise. And it 'seems' in general to have generally positive reviews.

Past that, probably will need a bit more time, before we have a more accurate review system, most likely? And is currently in a bit of a discount, otherwise it'd be generally around £15 here. Make of that what you will on the budget quality of the game itself.

-

Next up the list, is a surprisingly free foreign visual novel, called "Nekojishi" (with weird asian kanji on top.)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/570840/_Nekojishi/

And all I can say is... For those wanting gay furry visuals, probably the best freebie you'd get for some time. Outside of that, it's free, and for those into it; furry. So who can't complain at that price?

That, and there's extra's on top, for those interested.

-

Next, is Crush Crush. An idler that caught my eye, 'glance' wise. So I'll be brief on the link;

http://store.steampowered.com/app/459820/Crush_Crush/

If you're a cheap skate who wants something something visual dating novel, probably a painless download link, if nothing else.

-

And that's all I've found under the "Popular New Releases", because when I first had a glance on the general "New Release" tag, I was bombarded with shite such as this link here...

*Proceeds to add under 'Not interested at all, period' list on Steam, before continuing*

-

In advance, if going by a purely "2D Bias", I'd likely suggest against getting this. But visually, it might be different enough to be 'appealing', in a Downwell sort of manner.

Slime-san, it's called. And it's mostly in a white, blue, green and red appeal.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/473530/Slimesan/

It's at the time of my 'price search bias', around £11, weather it's good enough to buy at that price, I'd leave to you. But if going by 'heart', I'm under "It looks stylish, maybe?"

But if so, it'd need more than appeal, but ideally good gameplay to complement/justify the thought of buying, so eh? Better wait until it ideally has more reviews, maybe? That, and at least it's arcane...

-

Next, is a game that's released fairly recently, and has something akin to typical 'collect stuff'. And well... For a Space Game, it might be unusually interesting.

It's name, is "Scavenger SV-4", and it's apparently a part scavenger simulator, with elements of roguelike, resource management, and horror.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/779590/Scavenger_SV4/

Visually, it's... Oddly got a charm of it's own, in a sense of scavenging in a rover on an alien world, with the 'main' gameplay being behind a sort of static filled monocrome camera, with elements of some decent? 3D graphics, for an indie game.

And at roughly £11... I might, actually like this game, if under an 'indie' bias. If anything, I might justify it as a 'skinning'...

*Proceeds to add it to a wish-list for now. That, and it has mostly to very positive reviews in general'.

And that's frankly, it for now, for me doing lighthearted searching again. But eh, if nothing else, I got like, 'maybe' a better idea (or game) on how to search for possible interesting games by price tag, through the power of 'by price listing'. So eh, maybe you can find some better stuff from there?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  3. Lemonbarb

Gonna lazily use this as

-

Abstractism
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/781600/Abstractism/

I heard of this from a YouTube coverage, and well. Upon hearing and looking over it at a 'glance', I'd say one thing to a game that is too plain, to basic to be worth only a '50c/p' game I cannot, in good conciousness justify buying/purchasing.

In a nutshell. Is it a shite game, in a "cheap pence/cents"? Yes.
    Is it a grindy farm for trade cards trololol? Yes.
    Is it definately filled with a Trojan mining virus? Yes.

However, what makes this of note, is well... How it's abstractedly, made an insidious, ingenious of optimizing the rewards, and drops and everything. In such angles as to be optimal dream paradise, for bot farmers, who'll flood the market with spam items. On top of other reports, of some items being 'visually similar' to more legimate drops from Team Fortress. And this is before I even cover all the more trolling items that feature Hideo Kojima.

In other news, a warning. And a brilliantly horrific game, that is abstract greed at it's finest form, that asset flippers can learn a great deal from, at the expense of honor. And likely heavy violation to new EU rules.

All I can say from this, is "hmm... mm... Could I like, maybe justify that Crypotocurrency miner thingie. If, you know? Made it entirely optional DLC, with explicit warnings, then warnings of having to need consent before mining? And degrees/options of mining on top?"

But if that happened, such DLC would either be the most hated... Or most 'liked', because surely, being able to financially support an indie dev, with cryptocurrency, without the need of paying financially. Would be a seemingly good tempting bait. Until energy bills come up... :p
    In light of that... Insidious of games, I'll lurk for more. And what I found, was well. Something of note.

Mojo Hanako.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/892630/Mojo_Hanako/

In a nutshell, 2048, with a 'bit' of a quirk. Is free, and involves something which in a nutshell, I'd call "Strip tease Puzzle game." Since it's free, it's going in my Hue folder on Steam. Likely gonna play it like a 2048 Blackjack ace. But eh, at least I'd be entertained for tonight.

It also comes with if you look well enough, nude patches. Which is just from what I vaguely hear, a simple "look in folders, move XXX txt file to this location, and bam!"

Together
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/841300/Together/

At a glance, had a bit of a visual Undertale like vibe, hearts and all that. But hey, it's free, it's more of an artistic indie experience. And at the end of the day, it's probably worth playing a bit, in a sort of artistic medium/reference to the act called love.

One more, before I go afk for a bit here... :p

Lynne
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/885640/Lynne/

Another freebie, and probably one that has a "if you want a taste/shot on a free kinetic novel, experience wise? You can look no further." Only warning; may have a 'similar' vibe to uh, glance wise from the front screen; Doki Doki Litierature club. Except less meta, more "down to earth" wangst?

shashenka and Ddmkm122 like this.