1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Issei the Gaming Pathfinder (High School DxD/The Gamer/Mythology/????)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Xamusel, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Threadmarks: Level 0 Post 3
    Xamusel

Xamusel Currently a Gamma-11 on FFN

Okay, my retard levels have been fluctuating some, which led to me deciding to post closer to 200 words of the planned update in this post... well, the revised planned update, that is.

Eventually, he was about to give up when he remembered something. He could observe his backpack before he continued on his way to school and made it to the opening ceremony on time. Taking his backpack off and holding it in front of him, he stared intently at it, wondering for a few seconds what he would see as part of the observa—

New Skill Created!

[Observe] (Active) Lv. 1: 0.59% Cost: 5 MP

Allows The Gamer to gather information on a target. Increased information at higher levels.

Issei closed the window in front of him, before another one took its place, this time to continue with the lesson at hand.

Whenever you do something for a long enough time with this ability, you gain a Skill unique to that action you did long enough to qualify for it. Of course, each action has a different time limit before the Skill can be created, like Observe took you five seconds to make. To make use of your new Skill, either think or say your Skill’s name. Why don’t you give it a try?

Issei looked back at his backpack. “Observe,” he said, not really expecting much out of this.

Issei’s Simple Backpack

A backpack that has the standard amount of spaces to put items in for schoolwork.

Issei nodded to himself, before he…

[] Took note of his surroundings (+5 bonus to ?)
    [] Continued to go to school (+500 relationship points with ?)
    [] Write-in (I'll determine the bonus when I see a write-in)

Please note that I wish to get at minimum a five vote lead on one of these three options before I decide to close it at 23:59 on the 7th of November my time... well, it wouldn't matter if I don't get that many votes, but I do plan to close the voting by that point in time.

2. Winged One

Winged One Not the Simurgh

[X] Continued to go to school (+500 relationship points with ?)

Issei would probably go for the relationship points. :V

3. Xamusel

Well... that's a good point, though I'd like to make sure you guys have more skills, like what you'd get if you choose the other option (eventually).

Also, I apologize about the content being lacking. I would've had more, but I had to post something that was less... idiotic of me. I absolutely don't want to railroad a quest here.

4. touhou ranfuku

touhou ranfuku Versed in the lewd.

[X] Took note of his surroundings (+5 bonus to ?)

I don't think he can improve his relationship with Sona just by not being late. There are many students just like Issei so why would him being not late on school improve his relationship with Sona? My guess is that either a student or teacher.

5. Walkir

Walkir Super Happy Awesome Fun Time On Vacation

Good point.

Which is what time zone?

6. Xamusel

I live on the West Coast of the Continental United States, so -8 UTC, otherwise known as PST.

Walkir likes this.
  7. Walkir

Thanks.

8. Xamusel

You're welcome.

9. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

Kind of hoping we can create an awareness skill be focusing on our surroundings a lot. The fact that it comes with a bonus to something is a good thing too. Although I nearly voted for the relationship points anyway, but not knowing who they were with is what made me decide against it. After all, what if it is +500 relationship points with the other 2 members of the perverted trio? That seems fairly likely to me.

10. the DragonBard

the DragonBard Creator of Worlds

[x] Continued to go to school (+500 relationship points with ?)

11. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

[X] Continued to go to school (+500 relationship points with ?)

12. Xamusel

Alright... currently at the point where I'm trying to decide whether or not to just offer a tie-breaker vote on my end. If nobody else wishes to vote at this point in time (between now and 11:59 AM my time), I'll just cut the voting period short and offer the tie-breaker vote, which will be kept secret until the time when it's offered.

Walkir likes this.
  13. Walkir

Meh. If it is a tie and no one decides to break it after a call like this, half the people will be disappointed anyway. At that point, you might as well roll dice if it keeps the game alive.

Edit: Or just cast your tiebreaker vote and go for whatever makes the game more interesting.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  14. Xamusel

Alright, one tiebreaker vote coming right up.

My vote for this is "Took note of his surroundings (+5 bonus to Perception)"... and I wasn't going to reveal what the skill was until the vote ended, much like I wasn't going to reveal that touhou ranfuku was correct until now.

15. Walkir

I was assuming you waited til the mentioned period is over so people can actually come in new or change votes to break the tie, but now that works as well.

16. Xamusel

Okay, before I forget, I'll be rolling a die based on Issei's Perception skill that he'll be getting in this update. If Issei succeeds at this roll, he'll be able to... well, do something that would be spoilerific.

Please stand by while this happens.

Xamusel rolled 1 die of 20 faces, total: 3+5 = 8
    For: Perception Check
    Rolled on: November-08-2015, 02:55am

EDIT: ...what? That's got to be one of the most crappy rolls I've ever done on here! Sadly, though, Issei will be blind to what is in the area... unless you guys somehow roll a better result than that.

17. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

Rolling
    Larekko12 rolled 1 die of 20 faces, total: 9+5 = 14
    Rolled on: November-08-2015, 03:37am

18. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

Well doubt it will help now, but if you are open to more rolling I'll try. Who knows, maybe my luck won't be as bad as normal in this thread?
    wayne82444 rolled 1 die of 20 faces, total: 17+5 = 22
    For: Perception
    Rolled on: November-08-2015, 04:20am

And 22. Maybe my luck in this thread will be decent after all.

19. Walkir

17 on d20 should hopefully do it!

And thank God it's a 3 on d20, not on d100. Then again, a 3 on d20 being bad feels even more wrong than one on d100.^^

20. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Would you be willing to also use threadmarks?

21. Xamusel

You guys are really lucky I decided to have you all roll for Perception... and I really wish I were able to work on the update more before I got back here.

Well, next update in this will take a while, given that I need to focus for a bit.

Oh, in regards to the Threadmarks, if only I knew how to work them in... otherwise, well, I'd use them as much as possible.

EDIT: ...okay, how could I have been such a complete moron that I didn't know how to Threadmark?! Sorry about that, guys... will do what's needed right now.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  22. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

at the bottom left of every post in a thread you started there is a button labeled threadmark. click it to open the threadmark interface, name the post in question (eg "Level 0 Post 3") and click "add threadmark". The forum software will automagically do the rest.
    If you want to rename or delete a threadmark, click on the threadmark link again for that post.

It takes 3 seconds per threadmark or so

23. Xamusel

Oh, right... thanks for taking the time to bring that to my attention, mrttao.

mrttao likes this.
  24. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

you are very welcome, thanks for the quest

25. Xamusel

You are most welcome. In fact... give me a bit to finish the update on the way.

26. Threadmarks: Level 0 Post 4
    Xamusel

Okay, this took me longer than I thought it would take, but I finally have this completed! Well, in this case, I had a lot of it already done before now, but I couldn't post it until I figured out how to finish it, or even start this segment.

Issei nodded to himself, before he took note of the surrounding area. He first noted that there was a tree in the area that looked rather… old, to put it lightly. What made him notice this particular tree was the fact that it was the only tree in that part of town, in an old property that looked like it had definitely seen better days. There were weeds everywhere, the buildings on the property looked to be on the verge of collapse, and the main building itself as if it were from the time of Nobunaga… if he were able to properly guesstimate how old the building was.

The second thing he noted was that there were signs of someone living in this property still, most likely a homeless person, but still someone living there all the same. He didn’t know who could possibly live in such a dilapidated house, but it was safe to say that the place needed to be torn down, to keep loss of human life down to a minimum. He honestly would prefer it if the people inside were moved out, if there was anyone in there, mainly because he could not, in good conscious, condone people dying while they lived in a place that should be torn down for real.

Other than that, there was something… off about the tree, mainly the fact that it was giving off a slightly golden sheen of light. If he didn’t know better—

New Skill Created!

[Perception] (Passive) Lv. 1: 10.86%

The Gamer’s Skill in noticing things out of place. Increased noticing power at higher levels.

—what was with him lately?! All he wanted to do was confirm whether or not the tree was important in some way. With that in mind, he turned his attention to the tree and said out loud, “Observe.”

Ancient Apple Tree

Within this Apple Tree is something that no mere mortal has ever unearthed since the day it was planted… which will go away whenever the tree gets chopped down.

Issei gaped in surprise. How come nobody ever tried to get this something from the Apple Tree?! He looked at the area around him further, just to make sure he knew where he was in relation to other people who seemed to own the land the tree was on. After a few seconds, he gave up, seeing nobody who owned the tree. With that in mind, he walked over to the tree and picked an apple off of it.

New Item Obtained!

Apple of Increased Magical Potential

Randomly increases Magic Power by 1.5 to 5 times as much for each and every level gained and yet to be gained upon consumption.

Issei was floored by the revelation of how much of a bonus he was able to get out of eating this apple. However, before he could think of eating the apple, another window showed up.

Lesson Zero-Two: Item Menu

It seems you found a really rare item that can’t be found anywhere else. If you value your items, you’d best put the really rare stuff into your Item Menu. To access it, do the same as you’d do for a Skill, but Item Menu this time.

“Item Menu,” Issei said, bringing up a collection of blank boxes, an image to the left of that, and a box with the amount of Yen he had under the blank ones. Deciding to take a gamble with the apple, he held the apple over a blank box, seeing the apple not being absorbed yet. He pushed the apple into the box… and found that it actually went in the box!

To close the Item Menu, please say or think “close Item Menu”.

“Close Item Menu,” Issei said, bringing his Item Menu to a close. He was promptly shown a new tutorial.

Lesson Zero-Three: Status Screen

In order to see your status, think or say “Status Screen”, and we’ll go from there.

“Status Screen,” Issei said, showing him his status screen.

Name: Issei Hyoudou
    Title: None
    Level: 1 - Experience: 0.00%
    HP: 100/100
    MP: 110/120
    Ki: 60/60
    Strength: 6
    Vitality: 5
    Endurance: 5
    Dexterity: 7
    Agility: 6
    Charisma: 4
    Intelligence: 5
    Wisdom: 5
    Magic Power: 1
    Magic Control: 2
    Ki Reserves: LOCKED
    Ki Control: LOCKED

Issei looked at the different stats to understand what each one did. When he didn’t discover anything useful by just looking, he pressed one to see what it did. He ended up getting the answer he was looking for.

Strength: How much physical power you can use. Effects usable weapons.

Vitality: How able you are to hold onto your life. Combined with Endurance, makes up base score for HP.

Endurance: How much punishment your body can take. Combined with Vitality, makes up base score for HP.

Dexterity: How much control over your motor skills and reaction time you have. Effects usable weapons.

Agility: How fast you can go and how well you can dodge.

Charisma: How charming and attractive you are.

Intelligence: How clever and creative you are. Combined with Magic Power and multiplied by Magic Control, makes up base score for MP.

Wisdom: How perceptive and rational you are. Combined with Ki Reserves and multiplied by Ki Control, makes up your base score for Ki.

Magic Power: How attune to your natural ability to use Magic you are.

Magic Control: How much you can control your output of Magic and Magic-related skills at a time.

Ki Reserves: How attune to your Ki you are.

Ki Control: How much you can control your output of Ki.

By the way, for finding the Ancient Apple Tree, you gain 1500 Experience Points. Enjoy the gift of experience!

Issei nodded in understanding, before he did a doubletake at the amount of Experience Points he gained. He gained 1500?! How did that stack up with the percentage to next level?

Name: Issei Hyoudou
    Title: None
    Level: 1 - Experience: 75.00%
    HP: 100/100
    MP: 110/120
    Ki: 60/60
    Strength: 6
    Vitality: 5
    Endurance: 5
    Dexterity: 7
    Agility: 6
    Charisma: 4
    Intelligence: 5
    Wisdom: 5
    Magic Power: 1
    Magic Control: 2
    Ki Reserves: LOCKED
    Ki Control: LOCKED

Issei blinked in shock. That… was a bloody lot of points he needed to advance in level from his blank amount of Experience Points before. Then again, where did he stack with the rest of his… class… ‘Shit! I’m late for the opening ceremony!’ he thought, before he turned to run towards the scho—

A soft and sudden snapping noise could be heard from behind him, stopping him in mid-motion for a brief period of less than a second. Within that period of time, he decided to…

[] Run like crazy (95% chance of ?)
    [] Turn around and confront the sneak (+15 bonus on ?)
    [] Write-in (Same as last time a write-in was made available)

Alright, now, there's a very important fact about this. Whenever it comes down to percentages in portions of the story like this, it means that it would probably be a stupid thing to do whatever the percentage is assigned to... of course, it depends on if you guys beat the odds.

EDIT: Oh, right, I updated the gDoc I linked in the first post. Just as an FYI.

Sanyam, sassafras, kinglugia and 5 others like this.
  27. Walkir

Now we need a manual to assign meaning to those stats. Also, curse the UI designer who chose "Level: 1 - Experience: 75.00%" instead of "Level 1 - XP: 1,500/2,000 (1,500 total)".

How many inventory slots do we have?

kinglugia and Winged One like this.
  28. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

[X] Turn around and confront the sneak (+15 bonus on ?)

Don't want to try for the %, since we don't know if the 95% is our chance of something good or something bad happening. It could well be a 95% chance to get shot for all we know.

29. Xamusel

...oops. I must have forgotten to provide a better UI designer for this. I'll fix that as soon as possible... as in, beginning in the first update of Level 1, to be fair.

Inventory slots... I'll be honest. Items vary on the inventory slots listing. For instance, Common Items have about 25 slots to them right off the bat, with a max of 99 of each type of item in each slot (2475 items total for these slots as of right now). Uncommon Items have a limit of 33 per slot, but they have 100 slots, instead. Rare Items are 11 in a slot, but have 400 slots. Really Rare Items, like the apple from the tree, are one per slot, but have near-infinite slots.

Does that help explain what's going on?

kinglugia and Walkir like this.
  30. Walkir

I was actually asking how many we have right now, but thanks for the extra info. :)

Edit: Wait, misread that. That wasn't number of slots depending on quality of backpack/belt, but different tabs for each category?