1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mild server lag?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by Venumize, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Venumize

Venumize The Tinker Based Taylor.

Over the past few days I have been experiencing some lag issues with the site that doesn't occur on any other site. For instance loading up the create thread page for this took 24 seconds, and this is a very small page. Those with images can take a good deal longer and when clicking on a spoiler to load an image it can be a few seconds before it shows up.

Not sure if it is on my end with the server or what but seeing as no other site has been doing this I am just wondering what is going on? Normally it is pretty much instant, 1-2 seconds, but that isn't the case now.

Is any other person having this issue? Granted it isn't a severe issue but still quite noticeable at times.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  3. Venumize

Venumize The Tinker Based Taylor.

@alethiophile I am guessing the server is experiencing problems? It has been two days and the lag for me is the same and at times worse. For example it took well over a minute for this single thread to load, and while that might not seem much when compared to every other site loading within at most four seconds it stands out a great deal.

Is it some maintenance going on or some other thing that will be fixed in the near future? Or is it some insanely weird thing where this is just happening to me?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

Problems like this can come from either the server or from the network between you and the server. The latter problem can be geographically specific, and most large sites use CDN techniques to mostly avoid them; it's possible that QQ is the only single-location site you visit that's positioned for the lag to occur. Absent others also having a problem, I'm guessing that this is the issue. (I haven't seen any latency spikes in our server logs, anyway.)

Ddmkm122 and Venumize like this.
  5. Hidden One

Hidden One Not the Boss. Possibly a Playa.

I had a problem the last two days that might be related.
    As in, I got gateway timeout errors both yesterday and today.
    No details or anything, just the generic error page coming up after what felt like minutes and only getting through to the thread I was attempting to read after waiting several minutes and try again.

Ddmkm122 and alethiophile like this.
  6. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

Was this at around 5am EST? If so, you probably got caught by the daily backup run.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  7. Hidden One

Hidden One Not the Boss. Possibly a Playa.

I am actually not sure, I am usally rather sleepdeprieved or exhausted. My timezones actually GMT+1 and I think that problem was before high noon today.
    Not sure about yesterday, did too many things on too little brainpower then.

Ddmkm122 likes this.