1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

[RPG] Naruto Reincarnation!

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Thomas Johnston, Dec 31, 2017.

1. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Thank you.

Ok so... overall I enjoyed reading it. The writing is generally good... But there are some particular glaring issues with it.

I was positvely impressed by your characters, many things about them that I enjoyed. As well as your overall story, the decision to start some 20 years before canon.

I was very positively impressed by the fact that being the gamer's party only lets you communicate for 2.5 miles and show stats. Not power level you! This is a huge mistake most gamers fics do which vastly detracts from the fic quality, and you avoided that pitfall.

And not having gamer body makes for a much more interesting story. Although I feel you could have done away with HP entirely in this case. Since she takes injuries like normal the HP is redundant

Several things in that story's setup trigger me:

1. ROB... it cheapens things and could very easily be replaced by ANY in verse explanation, any kind of explanation would do really. ROB also tend to be doing things for their "entertainment" which really does NOT show at all. (if they were up for entertaintment they should be tormenting the MC with disaster after disaster instead. They just give the MC some OP power and let them live out their fantasy). Heck, just not explaining anything at all would have worked fine too! "MC died, reincarnated in naurto verse as an uchihua, assigns perks as a baby" gets the exact same setup you did but without a ROB. Even better would be if you changed the setup though so MC is not even an earth reincarnator. Just a native uchihua OC who suddenly awakened the power of the gamer due to reasons (either give an in verse reason like some have done, or just leave it unexplained)

2. Gamers growl, eye brow twitch, curse, and otherwise bitch at ROB and at their gamer power UI. Seriously you are given the best wish fulfiment ever and you do that? chil a bit and have some gratitude. Thankfully this only happened lightly and only in the first chapter. If it continued on to happen every chapter like most gamer stories I would have dropped it. But the only reason I didn't drop it in the first chapter and forced my way through it is because of your quest.

3. Gamer's mind activates to suppress emotions AFTER the emotional outburst happened. most gamer fics do this and I hate this so so so much. the original gamer mind was always on passive. It did not "auto-activate" to suppress the emotional outburst after the fact. Aside from canon misinterpretation, there is also the issue that this both chuuni and cringeworthy.

Also, for some reason gamer mind just seems to flat out stop working in your fic after a few chapters and remains non functional for the rest of the story. It actually makes for a far superior story that gamer mind doesn't exist and the story is much much better once it goes away, but you should edit the first 5 chapters so that she never had gamer mind in the first place instead of just having it silently disappear mid-story.

4. MC making choices which I would view as really really bad. Without any explanation on why she is making those choices. In selecting perks, assigning stats, her combat build, etc.

5. MC has seen the show of the verse they are being inserted into and has all this prior "canon" knowledge. Oh, they also apparently clearly know what "the gamer" is too ahead of time. This is a huge pet peve of mine and makes for a much weaker story. This also calls into question a lot of the life choices she has made throughout the story, where they would have made far more sense if she was a native.

6. Forced male to female gender bending of the MC. ugh, why.

Aside from things that outright triggered me. There are a few less severe issues:

A. I felt that the disparity between her growth rate on screen and during timeskips didn't match up. She would time skip for 2 years and her gains during those 2 years would be less than a single day of adventuring done on screen before the timeskip.

B. I felt the marriage was somewhat rushed. she had a few days of actual facetime with him, spent doing casual sex. and suddenly they are getting married. Yes there was a time skip, but during the time skip they were at different villages and didn't spend any time together.

C. Despite her trauma, fear, desire to get stronger to protect her loved ones (and multiple failures to do so), and so on. She is just way way too chill about things. She never goes out to systematically steal jutsus with her eye power. She never bothers to go to the clan or village library to acquire jutsus. She never bothers trying to acquire shadow clones despite having IC knowledge of the show. She doesn't grind (she went to the training field dungeon only once. then waited until her real life combat brought her to the point where she could go to the next field years later instead of repeatedly doing the one dungeon she could for levels). She doesn't ever wear weight clothes like rock lee does despite the fact she can train her stats. She doesn't even go to the hospital to learn more healing jutsu, even after maxing out the 2 healing jutsu her mom taught her. She reveals her gamer power to multiple people but almost never tries to give any advice/hints/whatever to avert majort disasters (she personally attends the birth of naruto, but doesn't think to insist on bringing, say, sarutobi or an anbu team along. so it goes exactly like canon; as for the uchihua massacre, she just specifically lives away from the uchihua compound for some reason until the massacre begins and then she runs there after the fact; I felt both of those were contrived in order to justify her adopting naruto and sasuke. And you know what, if she didn't have canon knowledge then those would have been sensible instead of contrived. Her canon knowledge never really comes into effect in the story except for making some of her reasonable IC choices become stupid and unreasonable and contrived. Story would have been massively better if she didn't have naruto canon knowledge and we could just say "oh, well obviously she didn't avert that crisis, she didn't know")

D. It takes way too long for butterflies to appear.

despite all those issues I still enjoyed it. I just felt it could have been so much more.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  2. verynew

verynew Versed in the lewd.

I hope we can avoid regular problems of gamer fics, such as ID, Uncapped stats, Luck and Charisma traps, Levels-Training trap.
    1. Instant dungeons are usually unfair system that provides free exp, loot, money and skill books with time-dillationon on top of that - overall mechanic could be usefull if it wasn't exclusive for Gamer (In mahou shoujo genre such mechanic is usually used by villains)
    2. Uncapped stats is invintation to break the the game, Fallout, D20, Elder Scroll provide mach better balance and sense of challenge.
    3. Luck is kind of reality-warping system, Charisma can turn one into (false) messiah.
    4. If level provide stat or skill points, then training those should be impossible
    The Gamer have counter-force to prevent excessive abuse of those systems and alternative ways to match Gamer's power (they are less effective, but they exist)

3. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

He doesn't have instant dungeon, but there are naturally occuring dungeons. However, MC almost never uses them. (in six years she went to a dungeon once)
    Those settings are broken as hell too. and even though they have stat caps, they are so high that you are literally invinceable long before. There is a gamer fic that used fallout in naruto setting... yea, MC basically became god (in those other fics).
    In his fic the MC still has lower stats than some other people. Although she does end up pretty OP it's mostly from skills and innate abilities (as an uchihua she eventually gets susano)
    MC never put a point in either of those.
    His levels only provide stats. Skills are gained only by training.

4. The Hangman's laugh

The Hangman's laugh Experienced.

[X]Shapemaster - Congratulations you have talent for Henge (which is actuall transformation), face, gender, species, clothes - it's all for you to decide, you start with intermediate Henge Skill
    [X]Sealmaster - Hey, they use Fuuinjutsu to seal Bijuu, would you really want to fuck with someone that has turned that art into an art of their own? - Start with Intermediate Fuuinjutsu Skill
    [X]Medic Nin - ‘You don’t FUCK with the white mage’ you heal your friends and destroy your enemies’ organs, now you just need to remember where you left your watch! - Start with several D-Ranked Iryojutsus

5. verynew

Then we should be unable to train our stats
    That was in original story - now it's a quest

BTW, what is our goal in this game? As Uzumaki it could be anything from restoration of clan/village/country, to revenge for it, to rediscovery of our art, to becoming emperor of mankind.

6. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

It is a reasonable argument. Although that does make a big change from the original the gamer which was pretty broken and op, and it is part of its appeal. In the fic, she could train her stats as well as put points in it.

I thought you were asking what happened in the story. As in "I am thinking of reading it, but I am not sure if I want to bother, can I ask some questions"

I misunderstood you. Yes, we the players would absolutely pump up luck and cha if given the chance. However we won't actually be given that chance
    We are not going to play as a gamer unlike the fic.
    Which is a good choice. I have stopped counting at 50 gamer quests and every single one of them crashed and burned. I actually helped the QMs of several of them handle the excel sheets needed and it still proved to be too overwhelming.

Become god, then ascend to become a ROB
    ... or knowing the QM, just survive at all.

7. Thomas Johnston

Thomas Johnston Ascended Scathach Enjoyer

Character Creation will be next, that one will be by Line Vote

I am running by the thought that we need to have a Kekkai Genkai to mix the elements, there may be a few that we can learn without it, kinda like how the First Movie villain used an Ice Release technique, but those will be limited and very rare to try and obtain

This one is currently a PLAN vote, sorry for not making it clearer, also mind PMing me on how to do the vote tally?

Glad you enjoyed it, and honestly, at this point, she's actually forgotten much of her canon knowledge, at no point have I said she has perfect memory, she's actually been forgetting her life for a while now without noticing it, seriously, she's been through wars she has other things on her mind right now

Survival is a good plan to have

MudkipSage and mrttao like this.
  8. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

All the more reason to not have given it to her in the first place. Since she didn't even really do much with it
    Well then. Everyone please take note we are voting by plan this time.

[x] Plan the basics
    -[x]Too Much Chakra - You possess Chakra reserves greater than most of your year. On the plus side, this means you can power up your Ninjutsu to devastating levels, and might be able to use Shadow Clones. However, you have always had Chakra control issues, and you tend to overpower your Genjutsu, meaning that illusions are practically worthless to you - Triples current Chakra Pool, but -50 to ALL Chakra Control Rolls until you reach ‘Mastered’ Status for Chakra Control
    -[x]Sealmaster - Hey, they use Fuuinjutsu to seal Bijuu, would you really want to fuck with someone that has turned that art into an art of their own? - Start with Intermediate Fuuinjutsu Skill
    -[x]Medic Nin - ‘You don’t FUCK with the white mage’ you heal your friends and destroy your enemies’ organs, now you just need to remember where you left your watch! - Start with several D-Ranked Iryojutsus

9. Xamusel

Xamusel Currently a Gamma-11 on FFN

I edited my prior post to be plan-based.

10. Stasis

Stasis Unverified Lotus

[x] Plan the basics

11. Derpmind

Derpmind Versed in the lewd.

Same here.

12. MudkipSage

MudkipSage Versed in the lewd.

[X] Plan: Mini-Flash
    -[X]Too Much Chakra - You possess Chakra reserves greater than most of your year. On the plus side, this means you can power up your Ninjutsu to devastating levels, and might be able to use Shadow Clones. However, you have always had Chakra control issues, and you tend to overpower your Genjutsu, meaning that illusions are practically worthless to you - Triples current Chakra Pool, but -50 to ALL Chakra Control Rolls until you reach ‘Mastered’ Status for Chakra Control
    -[X]Sealmaster - Hey, they use Fuuinjutsu to seal Bijuu, would you really want to fuck with someone that has turned that art into an art of their own? - Start with Intermediate Fuuinjutsu Skill
    -[X]Flicker - In your opinion speed is the greatest thing for a shinobi, and the Body Flicker Jutsu is the greatest ninjutsu ever created. - Start with the Body Flicker Jutsu, you have a hard time sitting still

Redoing vote/plan w/ new info.
    Chakra seems to be what seperates the scrubs from the A-Team.
    Flicker is a higher tier skill that can be used to get into better posiitions, maybe we can re-discover the flying thundergod?
    Sealing is for winning.

mrttao likes this.
  13. verynew

Fuinjutsu alows to store chakra, so you to get 300% of chakra without drawbacks for control and wasting perk-slot on it. Maybe if you planing to go full jinchuriki, then yes, you would need body capable to contain such volumes, otherwise it's a waste of perk.

14. MudkipSage

MudkipSage Versed in the lewd.

I'm of the "There is no overkill" school of thought. x3 chakra AND +300% chakra, is either 600% if they combine, or 900% if its multiplicative. And thats a good place to be.
    Plus, Seals also function as tranformative functions. Word of God, the only things seals can actually do is "Seal" things. But storing and releasing has a shitload of interpretiation for the When/How.
    I cant imagine that having x3 charka is bad, especially considering perfect chakra control is kind of a good thing anyways.

Uzumaki (our family by vote) are already chakra monsters, with sealing.I'm doubling down on standard uzumaki benefits. By my reconing, Ninja fights tend to boil down to 3 things. 1) who has the biggest jutsu b) Who is the cheatiest bastard 3)Who is the fastest on the draw.
    Chakra improves jutsu, Seals are for cheating, and flicker is for speed. So there are both Early and Endgame benefit.

mrttao and verynew like this.
  15. verynew

You are forgetting about
    Which not only decrease chance for success, but increase chance for failure and critical failure. Logically, "overkill" should rely on control, where you start with heavy penalty.
    And overall Henge is closest thing to Creation Of All Things, while Iryojutsu allows both self-modification and all sort of SCIENCE! And fuinjutsu should be used for collecting souls (Mortal Combat style).

16. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

he explicitly addressed it multiple times. by saying that we should be training control no matter what, so the debuff is temporary.

Also, YOU are forgetting shadow clones. since we are not a jinchuri (even if we could steal one, it has to be sealed into an infant or the chakra clash will poison us to death). We will be very limited on our chakra quantities.

Also, when has anyone in the show ever used seals to increase their chakra reserves? also chakra reserves relate to chakra recovery rate too.
    Flicker is a very common skill though, we will be learning it regardless later. I think starting out with healing jutsu is more important. both for our stamina, and also because the prerequisite high control. which mitigates the early game penalty of high chakra.

17. verynew

I think that initial control and reserve are inversly proportional - poor reserve allows better control, rich reserve means poor control, we would have spent entire academy years on perfecting control just to get rid of huge penalty, instead of studying something usefull.
    And how do you think we would get Shadow clones?
    Cursed seal said to increase chakra-level, without redudant stuff like Juugo enzime and spiritual anchor - so seal for increased chakra levels should be relatively easy (top intermediate fuinjutsu or bottom advanced fuinjutsu).

18. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Not inversely proportional, inversely related. 1/2 control for 3x quantity. If they were proportional it would be 1/3 control for 3x quantity.

And yes, they are, but the key word is initial. as the entire argument is that this initial malus can be completely eliminated.

19. Thomas Johnston

Alight, I think I should probably step in here and mention something, the [Too Much Chakra] does triple the starting chakra pool, while giving -50 to ALL chakra control dice rolls, which does include chakra control exercises so please keep that in mind when voting

20. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Question, how would it mesh if we take both Too Much chakra and Medic Nin?
    Since Medic Nin requires high control?

21. Thomas Johnston

I am going to say you can't take one with the other because of how much they conflict with each other, you can either go for high control, or high chakra to start with

22. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Thanks for clarifying. In that case my plan is invalid.
    Stasis you voted for my plan but it turns out to be invalid. better switch votes.

Vote Tally : [RPG] - Naruto Reincarnation! | Page 2 | Questionable Questing [Posts: 41-72]
    ##### NetTally 1.9.9
    [X]Shapemaster - Congratulations you have talent for Henge (which is actuall transformation), face, gender, species, clothes - it's all for you to decide, you start with intermediate Henge Skill
    [X]Sealmaster - Hey, they use Fuuinjutsu to seal Bijuu, would you really want to fuck with someone that has turned that art into an art of their own? - Start with Intermediate Fuuinjutsu Skill
    [X]Medic Nin - ‘You don’t FUCK with the white mage’ you heal your friends and destroy your enemies’ organs, now you just need to remember where you left your watch! - Start with several D-Ranked Iryojutsus
    No. of Votes: 3
    [x] Plan the basics
    -[x]Too Much Chakra - You possess Chakra reserves greater than most of your year. On the plus side, this means you can power up your Ninjutsu to devastating levels, and might be able to use Shadow Clones. However, you have always had Chakra control issues, and you tend to overpower your Genjutsu, meaning that illusions are practically worthless to you - Triples current Chakra Pool, but -50 to ALL Chakra Control Rolls until you reach ‘Mastered’ Status for Chakra Control
    -[x]Sealmaster - Hey, they use Fuuinjutsu to seal Bijuu, would you really want to fuck with someone that has turned that art into an art of their own? - Start with Intermediate Fuuinjutsu Skill
    -[x]Medic Nin - ‘You don’t FUCK with the white mage’ you heal your friends and destroy your enemies’ organs, now you just need to remember where you left your watch! - Start with several D-Ranked Iryojutsus
    No. of Votes: 2
    [X]Flicker - In your opinion speed is the greatest thing for a shinobi, and the Body Flicker Jutsu is the greatest ninjutsu ever created. - Start with the Body Flicker Jutsu, you have a hard time sitting still
    No. of Votes: 2
    [X] Plan Maximum Lewdness
    -[X]Pervert - You read the Icha Icha series, and do so openly. - Start with Stealth Skill and PERVERT! Perk, but will take a loss to your reputation whencaught peeping
    -[X]Illusion Master - Reality is an Illusion all of it’s own, make your enemies question that with your Genjutsu skills and confound them all, but you better not get caught up close with people, you are frail after all! - Start with several D-ranked Genjutsus
    -[X]Shapemaster - Congratulations you have talent for Henge (which is actuall transformation), face, gender, species, clothes - it's all for you to decide, you start with intermediate Henge Skill - submitted by Verynew
    No. of Votes: 1
    [x]Plan Zero!Assassin/Sasaki Kojiro!Assassin
    -[x]With this sword of mine - You’ve always enjoyed the way the light dances off the edge of a sword, some even think you like it even more with the blood of your enemies coating it. -start with Intermediate Kenjutsu skill.
    -[x]Shapemaster - Congratulations you have talent for Henge (which is actuall transformation), face, gender, species, clothes - it's all for you to decide, you start with intermediate Henge Skill
    -[X]Too Much Chakra - You possess Chakra reserves greater than most of your year. On the plus side, this means you can power up your Ninjutsu to devastating levels, and might be able to use Shadow Clones. However, you have always had Chakra control issues, and you tend to overpower your Genjutsu, meaning that illusions are practically worthless to you - Triples current Chakra Pool, but -50 to ALL Chakra Control Rolls until you reach ‘Mastered’ Status for Chakra Control
    -[X]Sealmaster - Hey, they use Fuuinjutsu to seal Bijuu, would you really want to fuck with someone that has turned that art into an art of their own? - Start with Intermediate Fuuinjutsu Skill
    -[X]Flicker - In your opinion speed is the greatest thing for a shinobi, and the Body Flicker Jutsu is the greatest ninjutsu ever created. - Start with the Body Flicker Jutsu, you have a hard time sitting still
    [X]Flicker - In your opinion speed is the greatest thing for a shinobi, and the Body Flicker Jutsu is the greatest ninjutsu ever created. - Start with the Body Flicker Jutsu, you have a hard time sitting still
    [X]Blow them Away - Even the greatest of mountains are laid low when it comes to the wind, You will blow people off their feet when you enter battle. - Start with Natural Wind Affinity
    [X]Wait, who was that? - You’ve never really stood out from the crowd, your face blending in with others easily making your infiltration missions much easier. - you don’t stand out in a crowd, for all the positives and negatives
    Total No. of Voters: 12

23. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

thinking about it. the fic's entire thing is that the MC is a medic. and I would rather not rehash that part. IC it can be justified with just how OP high pool low control chars like naruto are. And how amazing speed is. Setting up a strong foundation for following in the flash's foodsteps couldn't hurt.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  24. Stasis

Stasis Unverified Lotus

25. verynew

I still don't see why you guys want Too Much Chakra?
    Taking it requires us to dedicate almost entire academy-time to chakra control, instead of learning cool jutsu or improving other skills and abilities.
    Proper Mini-Flash build would be Knife+Seal+Flicker - nothing close to Too much chakra!
    Too Much Chakra would go with No Jutsu and Angsty Avenger, then we can build our own Muderbeast of Konoha.

26. Stasis

Stasis Unverified Lotus

No Jutsu would make Too Much Chakra entirely useless though. Considering No Jutsu means NO jutsu, and chakra is the stuff you use to form jutsu.

Also, you can always train your control, but raising your natural chakra reserves has a limit.

mrttao likes this.
  27. verynew

You can still use taijutsu and fuinjutsu with No Jutsu.
    And yes, there is a limit to raising natural chakra level, for Uzumaki it's called bijuu-level and going beyond that is useless.

28. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

No, we won't spend the entire academy time training control. We would spending training jutsus that don't require extreme control levels. Only control heavy jutsu are healing and genjutsu.

Naruto sucked at control and look at him.

29. Stasis

Stasis Unverified Lotus

Taijutsu sure, since it doesn't require use of chakra, but i'm pretty sure fuin does require using chakra. Edit: And this is besides the point, as you implied the only use for Too Much Chakra is in conjunction with an option that makes the main uses of chakra unusable.
    Btw, i can't actually remember a single time in canon that anyone mentions increasing their natural reserves, it's always using things more efficiently instead.

There's a huge difference between uzumaki and bijuu in terms of chakra, reaching bijuu amounts is not possible for a human, and since when could more chakra be useless?

mrttao likes this.
  30. verynew

We either go for such training or retain penalty, which can bite us at any moment. And at the end Naruto have restored Kakashi's eye, which means that he had perfect control.

4th Raikage was said to have bijuu-level chakra and somewhere at the begining Sakura's explanation of chakra suggest that it can be increased.