1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Of Ice and Men (Young Justice. Icicle Junior SI.)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Flightless Man, Apr 19, 2022.

?

Location of Team's base.

Poll closed May 4, 2022.
  1. Missile Silo in Nebraska

46 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Ski Lodge in Colarado

23 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Lighthouse in Hawaii

28 vote(s)
    25.7%
  4. Ranch in Texas

19 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. Summer Camp in Michigin

12 vote(s)
    11.0%
  6. Junkyard in Washington

17 vote(s)
    15.6%
  7. Rundown Hotel in North Carolina

17 vote(s)
    15.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Visual Pun

Visual Pun Reawakening Revenant (i.e. 'Venant'?)

When most of those involved in the conversation at Belle Reve would spell it N-O-L-L-I-D-J, no, not really.

Flightless Man likes this.
  2. Threadmarks: Chapter 15: Lock Him Up And Snow Away The Key
    Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Chapter 15: Lock Him Up And Snow Away The Key
    Belle Reve, Louisiana
    September 8, 5:07 PM CDT

Stepping out under the intense lights gets me to shield my face with one arm. The guards here aren’t as impressed with my accomplishments and shove me right along to the waiting room.

“This place is so clean, I feel kind of bad for mucking it all up.” Clayface pipes up with his nasally voice. How does sentient clay get the sniffles?

I know a few people use the name but I have no idea which one I’m stuck with. Maybe the original gangster one, or is this the actor instead?

“It’s you lot who will be cleaning up.” Gloats one of the many indistinguishable guards. “So make it as gross as you can.”

“Especially D-Block!” One of his fellow blurts out, drawing chortles from the rest as I glance down at the same letter on my jumpsuit.

“What is that?” Only one person is waiting for us on the same level, another inmate judging by the redhead’s own orange clothing. “It looks like walking shit!”

Stunned into stillness, Clay takes a few seconds to respond. “Can I just say... ouch.”

“That’s really not a very healthy colour you know.” The retort just slips out of my mouth before I have a chance to stop myself. “If that’s what yours looks like, should probably book some time in the infirmary.”

“You ain’t look like much either,” She snarls, revealing a row of filed teeth. “But at least I got a name for that smart mouth.”

Gathering some of the nerve I seem to have destroyed on the ride, Clay puffs up his chest. “And I assume you’re in here for biting of a john’s, johnson.”

“Do you believe in werewolves?” Instead of giving us the standard fair of bragging about her reputation, the woman who looks to be approaching thirty fires back her own confusing question.

Before I have a chance to ask if she means the traditional kind from legends or just resembling one, Clay bends over in laughter. “Maybe you should take our ride back to Arkham.”

“Silence!” A new and incredibly commanding voice echoes in the room, revealing the glaring Amanda Waller. “You are now in the biggest house we have. I will not tolerate anymore nonsense, from any of you.”

“If we’re good, will you sometimes remember to give us a warning before we get shocked?” The still unnamed woman snorts, only to end up on the floor a second later. The blast of electricity lasts far longer than any of the ones I got back in Arkham and I wince with sympathy.

Amanda finally nods to the guard with the button and smirks down at us. “You got taken down by the Blue Beetle and his new sidekick. No one is scared of you anymore Hyena.” Finally I can call her something besides ‘that crazy bitch’.

“Now as I was about to say, before being so rudely interrupted.” Our prison warden launches into an admittedly well crafted speech. But I’m stuck alternating between sheer terror and grudging respect the entire time.

Not playing any games with a woman like her. That’s almost as stupid as pissing off Batman or holding Kara hostage. Two out if three ain’t bad, so I just need to keep her content.

It’s when she mentions Doctor Hugo Strange being in charge of psychiatry that I frown. Has he ever actually been a good guy? In anything at all?

I’m not as sure as I should be and that’s what makes me the most uncomfortable. I haven’t been losing many more memories since I started insisting on my own identity. But the lost ones are still just out of my reach.

Hyena doesn’t bother saying goodbye when she gets lead into the female wing and I don’t feel the need to make one of my own. I just allow the far more professional looking guards, lead clay and I to our new cell.

I know the talk with Senior needs to come sooner rather than later. But I really would prefer to wait until I can touch base with Tommy. Better to look strong in front of old Capo and his men.

Once we get locked in the almost bare room, I carefully climb onto the top bunk. It was already hard enough to keep myself straight the whole ride here. I really don’t want to impale myself at the last second and waste all that effort.

“Uh...” Clayface gasps when I pull my shirt up, exposing the wound only kept sanitized by my lower internal temperature. “What the hell are you doing?”

It hurts a whole lot less than I know it should when I grab the scalpel pressed along on of my ribs. Though Clay doesn’t care and pretends to gag in disgust. At least I think he’s pretending.

“Making sure I survive dinner.” Is my retort as I cut a hole in my sleeve, sliding the weapon inside for later.

Once my few possessions are taped above my bed, I try to make less hostile conversation with my roommate. “So do you go by something in particular, or can I just call you Clay?”

“That works.” His ‘shoulders’ hunch at the same time he lowers his voice. “Just let me know what my part is. I’m ready for anything.”

His tone is almost deferential and I have to hold back a confused frown. Does he think he’s supposed to report to me? How many people are the Shadows sending in for this?

Since apparently everything hinges on the four of us with ice abilities, I have two targets to choose from first. Do I try getting Captain Cold out of commission first, or do I go right for the big dog?

If I go after Senior too soon, the rest of the Shadows will have time to adjust the plans. And take me out as painfully as possible. But if I’m too slow, dropping Cold might not be enough.

“We’re checking in with my pal Tommy before I decide on anything.” Once he knows his sister is doing well, I should be able to get some useful information. “I’m not making a move in here blind.”

I can’t do anything hasty, not until I at least have a rough idea of how many agents are in place already. Finding out how long I have before the breakout would also be plus.

If I just squeal to Waller at the first opportunity... I’ll be put in solitary and miss my chance to act.

“You ain’t going to work with your dad?” Clay finally seems to understand after far too many repetitions. “You want to take over his crew instead?”

“He always told me to be a man and look after myself.” The sudden flash of anger when I think of the man, doesn’t even surprise me anymore. “Well I realized something this summer. He’s the one who hurt me the most.”

Clay nods at that, his ‘face’ actually detailed enough to be called one. “And how did you realize that? Some kind of divine sign?”

“Not sure if it was getting my head scrambled during surgery or just having time to think for once. But I know it started when I realized how different Green Arrow treated his sidekick.” That admission surprises even me and I realize I really am getting desperate for friends. “I’m not sure my dad even knows my name.”​

3. TheToFu

TheToFu ToFu

that harsh truth at the end like damn.

4. Flightless Man

It's nice that he finally gets reunited with Tommy(his only self made friend his own age).

!Renzie0, Wild Transient and serenity like this.
  5. Threadmarks: Chapter 16: What's Your Asking Ice
    Flightless Man

Chapter 16: What’s Your Asking Ice
    Belle Reve, Louisiana
    September 8, 6:30 PM CDT

After a month with my company kept hand picked and under a dozen people with names, seeing the crowd gives me a fair bit of anxiety. Just find Tommy and get the scoop.

Do something incredibly dumb later. The warning to myself is going to be repeated several more times today. Starting to understand exactly how hard this is going to be.

What am I going to do, shank a few hundred inmates? Even if I pulled that off somehow, it’s not going to make me look any better when I make my appeal.

“Over here boss!” The incredibly welcome voice of the missing twin draws my gaze to the far corner of the room. “I saved you a seat.” Bless you Tommy.

Tommy has a small group seated with him and all of them are watching me with very obvious curiosity. Even though I can only recognize Cheapjack and Toyman by face alone, I don’t see any rage among the rest.

“This is the amazing Sub-Zero?” The creepy old man is first to speak, his glowing red eyes scanning me for something. “He is nothing special.”

“When everybody is special, nobody is.” I quote the Incredibles and let my own eyes slowly travel around the table.

Eagerly taking one of the free chairs, Clay eagerly digs into his cornbread. “It’s nice to finally have something besides that Arkham mash. This actually tastes better than what my high school served.”

Toyman seems to be in agreement with the senior villain though and narrows his eyes at me. “If nobody is special, why is Tommy hustling for you?”

“You better apologize.” Tommy cuts in with a suddenly serious snarl and it takes me a bit to make him relax.

“No need to get upset Tom. I just haven’t had a chance to prove myself to your friends yet.” What do they want from me, is it just an in with my dads crew?

Instead of instantly doubting me like his fellows, Cheapjack looks me over carefully. “You’ve changed a whole damn lot in just one summer. Not the same scrawny little bastard who could barely follow simple directions.”

“We know something big is going down soon.” The guy who introduces himself as Weather Wizard, has pencil thin goatee that I just want him to wipe off with a napkin. “We don’t want to get left out in the cold on this.”

“I told them how good of crew you run Boss. And I know you looked after my sister while I was in here.” Explains a very proud Tommy and I start to understand the situation. “They just want to hear your pitch before they agree to anything.”

“How exactly are you going to make us all rich?” Desperately asks Kiteman, his eyes frantically scanning the room for trouble. “We’ve been trying for years.”

Agreeing with him, Weather Wizard glares at me with crossed arms. “It’s not like any of us are stupid.”

“But you definitely used wisdom as your dump stat.” My retort gets an angry blush from the weatherman, making him sink lower in his chair. “How are you not already richer than Lexcorp?”

“I’m more interested in this claim of getting us out of here.” Counters a scowling Shade after I list a half dozen ideas off the top of my head. “Something claimed to be impossible.”

“What happens if you break out?” Letting a smirk grow, I stare down the incredibly creepy looking senior. “You can’t actually be seen in public without someone screaming. And before long, you will get thrown back in here.”

Toyman really doesn’t like the sound of that and lets it be known with his groan. “So your solution is to just serve our time?”

“My solution is to do the smart thing.” Oswald Cobblepot sold out anyone he had too and yet somehow manages to ride the line between the law. As I fill them in on the details of his trial, I shoot off suggestions for each of them.

None have been given much thought. But how did they all just ignore the obvious?

“Kiteman taxi service would make bank in California.” I allow myself a moment of pride when the aforementioned man starts to get excited. “Rich people love to think themselves above the rest of the world. Just make them pay premium for that arrogance.”

“How much are you talking about?”

Rolling my eyes at his lack of imagination, I point out how much it costs for just a regular cab. “Add in some eco-friendly and ‘above-it-all’ fees, you could be making around a grand each trip. Once you hire a crew, you just make them give you fifty percent of each drop off.”

“Told ya the boss would take care of us.” Brags Tommy and I get a wee bit concerned about his apparent promises.

“With how much money Hannah Land and Barbara World pull in each quarter, why don’t you have theme parks all over the world?” This next idea is directed at the shorter Toyman, who strokes his chin in consideration.

Clay doesn’t seem to appreciate me saving him for last and chimes in with a bitter tone. “And what about me? You know someone willing to hire walking mud?”

He really is an easy one and I prove it with only a few sentences. “How much money did the three biggest stars make for their last movie?”

“Lots?”

“Millions.” Silence greets that remark. “And can’t you look like any of them? All you really need to do is work on your voice acting.”

“I retract my earlier statement and offer my apologies.” The Shade speaks first and gives me a respectful nod. “These ideas are quite intriguing. Do you have any for me?”

I know he’s testing me but he’s honestly as simple as Weather Wizard. “We love to hit bank transfers, don’t we?”

“It’s just so easy!” Barks Cheapjack as he elbows his neighbour in the ribs. “Who could pass up those sitting ducks?”

“How much you think banks and art galleries would pay you to just move the goods from point A to B?” A whistle stops me from continuing and my eyes find Senior glaring at me from across the room. “But this will have to wait. Tommy needs to tell me what my dear old daddy has been up to.”

He does an adequate job of filling me in on the way, with tension filled eyes waiting as I hear about Senior's attempt to get dirt on me. Though with a few glaring gaps in the overall prison atmosphere. Hasn’t been let in on the Shadows’ plan yet, so he really doesn’t know how long I need to wait.

“Just Junior.” Calls out Icicle and I force myself to stop in front of his goons.

I have no idea who the muscular beast with the red mullet is. But Brick is definitely on my shit list.

“Don’t go by that anymore.” My tone is cold, taking all my effort to avoid a cracked voice. “Or is that why you stuck to calling me that? Was two names just too difficult for you to remember?”

“And here I was going to compliment you for finally growing a spine.” His eyes have narrowed into ones filled with cruelty, every ounce of it promising me pain. “But Psimon was just more wasted money, I’ll have to pay him a visit once I’m through with Morrow.”

“What are you talking about?” The guy who fought the Justice Society decades ago?

Smirking at me with absolutely no warmth in his entire body, Icicle hammers away at my reality. “I paid a lot for those upgrades. But all I got from it was you...” He hisses with rage, gesturing for his goons to make his point clear. “And I’m going to get my refund once this job is over.”

“I don’t think you understand Father.” Snarling as the two thugs press in from each side, I use my thumb to slide the scalpel into my palm. “I’m not following the orders of a has been anymore.”

“Get him boys!” The roar of Icicle sends the guy I eventually learn is called Mammoth, swinging dinner plate sized fists at my head.

Viktor gave me a few pointers on how Batman dealt with his powersuit. A few of which I can easily apply to anyone of a similar size.

I slash at the back of Mammoth’s right knee and nearly get deafened by his agonized scream. As he tumbles forward, I barely manage to avoid getting pinned beneath his bulk.

Though Brick easily grabs me by the scruff of the neck and hoists me off my feet, it only brings me closer to a weak point. Running the blade over his eye gets me thrown clear, his roar of pain silencing the room.

As everyone warily eyes those closest, I suddenly feel lightning course through my body. I’m not alone in the punishment and anyone within thirty feet joins me on the floor.​

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  6. Jkript

Jkript I trust you know where the happy button is?

So he killed his dad?

!Renzie0 and Flightless Man like this.
  7. Flightless Man

Cut Mammoth's tendon and blinded Brick in one eye. Dad was watching from a safe distance and got shocked with the rest of us.

8. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Senior: *Sends two tough motherfuckers to take on a scrawny nobody*

Sub Zero: *Cripples both within seconds*

Well, he's managed prison rule 1 of "beat the shit out of a tough motherfucker". Definitely helped his cred, and any recordings are gonna show Senior starting it.

I mean, this is Belle Reve, so that won't matter, but it'll matter if it's ever brought up for lawyer shit.

His new crew are definitely more likely to follow him now, at least. Villains be simple like that, sometimes.

No? From what I'm getting he fucked up Brick and Mammoth, then got shocked.

9. Akatsunami

Akatsunami The Potatoist.

New nicknames for them:

Stumpy the Mammoth and Blind as a Brick.

10. SIDoragon

SIDoragon Dragon of Story and Song

not gonna win father of the year with that. See kid for the first time in a year or more, and less than 30 seconds later he is sending the boys after him to beat his ass.

That is something I would play up. "Dear old dad was too much of a pussy to try spanking me, sent his boys to do it instead. Never trust anyone who is too much of a coward to do their own work."

11. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

“Hannah Land” and “Barbara World,” that’s swell. May Disney rot.

So it looks like Hyena is going to attempt something this arc. A werewolf named Hyena is usually a foe of Firestorm. It probably doesn’t matter, but I wonder if the usual Firestorm and this story’s Blue Beetle tend to operate in the same city. I could see Firestorm coming into play just as as Sub-Zero completes his term.

12. Flightless Man

Well crippled Brick, but only incapacitated Mammoth (He heals pretty fast, maybe a week tops before he's all better). But considering most inmates can't spell semantics, the rep would still build.

Lefty and Blind as a Brick.

Worse than Sportsmaster, and probably closer to Luthor's level of terrible father (YJ Luthor at least. Some versions he seems decent at it)

Maybe even get a few of dad's crew to switch sides.

Walt Disney went to Australia instead in this world and Disney is a far smaller thing.

I'm impressed you knew who even one was. I don't think any other commenters did. Firestorm hasn't made his debut in the YJ world yet, so I get to be creative.

13. Threadmarks: Interlude 8: Moving Day
    Flightless Man

Interlude 8: Moving Day
    Seward, Nebraska
    September 9, 10:18 AM CDT

“Did they catch the flight?” Artemis prods Zatanna as soon as she arrives at the new base. I can’t believe how cheap these things are.

The magician’s eyes tighten at the sight of countless boxes still in need of unpacking. “M’gann got them through security without any problems that I could see. But why aren’t we making them help with all of this?”

“Because we can’t let a potential Kryptonian run around.” Explains a strangely tense Guardian. “And Roy doesn’t want to let the League ‘steal’ another mission.”

“None of us do.” Corrects Robin as he exchanges firm nods with the others.

“Still can’t believe she has to disguise herself as Wally’s dad the whole flight.” Artemis shudders at even pretending to share blood with the braggart.

Sharing in the horror, Zatanna points out how much worse it really is. “It’s Bialya. M’gann probably shouldn’t drop her disguise the whole trip.”

“Stop, that tickles!” Interrupts Roy with a high pitched squeal from the next room.

When Artemis and M’gann find him on the yoga mat covered training area, the pair from as he picks his nose furiously. After a couple seconds, the red headed archer jerks his hand free with a snort of laughter.

“Okay. That time you had complete control.” Greta emerges from his back and blushes bright pink. “I’m really proud of how well you’re focusing on this now.”

With his back to her, he misses the face splitting smile she flashes the other girls. “Roy’s helping me posses people, so I can make people give up a hostage safely!”

“And you’re just fine letting her control you?” Wide eyed, Artemis feels the hairs on her neck stand on end. “Because that sounds terrifying to me.”

“It was at first.” He doesn’t bother denying it. “But now I can tell almost the exact moment she tries taking control.”

Agreeing with her favourite person, Greta’s head bobs vigorously. “When he fights back, I can barely stay inside for three whole seconds.”

“Can a person just be stitious, or does it have to be super?” Robin blinks away the unsettling feeling Secret’s comment creates and tries to lighten the mood.

“That’s it, I’m getting you a dictionary for Christmas!” Tired of the Boy Wonder’s antics, Guardian walks away rubbing his temples.

Waiting until his footsteps stop echoing, Roy gives the rest a proper tour. “We have enough rooms for everyone, so just pick whichever one you want.”

He points down a branching hallway and the ten doors on each side. “Just not the one at the end of the hall.”

“I already picked out what colours I want!” Excited at the idea of decorating with her friends, Greta points at the cans of neon green and hot pink in front of her door. “Will you help Roy paint it for me?”

“How is that fair?” Artemis hisses at an amused Kaldur. “Who can say no to a face that adorable?”

The Great Desert, Bialya
    September 10, 2:49 PM EEST

“Why did you want to come with us so bad?” Wally wipes the back of his neck with his sleeve and gives his ‘father’ a frown.

Deciding it’s pointless to hide her reason when she needs to convince the two to come with her, M’gann sighs in response. “Have you heard of the show ‘Hello Megan’?”

“Joan watches it all the time.” Confirms the sweaty speedster as his adopted brother scans the horizon. “Some show from the seventies, right? It’s pretty funny.”

“It was one of the only Earth broadcasts we got when I was a little girl.” Confides the Martian with a growing blush. “It helped me and my brother avoid all the...” Realizing she’s already said too much, M’gann refuses to continue.

But Wally seems to put the clues together anyway. “Didn’t have many friends? You the weird kid too?”

“Can’t you hear that?” Kirk cuts in with a frantic growl.

“Hear what?” M’gann doesn’t sense any minds within a few miles and shakes her head.

“The screaming.” Jumping down from his camel, Kirk hands of the reins to M’gann. “Catch up when you can.” With those words farewell, Kirk throws himself forward with a mighty leap.

Panicking as Superboy lands in a plume of sand, Wally barks a command. “Link us up before he’s out of sight!” With M’gann just barely managing the task in time.

<Just make sure you actually tell us when you find something!> The speedster snarls over the link as soon as he feels the familiar buzz at the back of his brain. “Just got a brother, don’t even want to think about what Mom would do if I let something happen to him so soon.”

“M’comm always needed looking after too,” Admits M’gann with a wistful expression. “I hope he can forgive me for leaving him all alone.”

Confused at that comment, Wally says as much. “You don’t really talk about Mars very much. It doesn’t sound like the alien paradise I thought it was.”

“We have just as much discrimination as Earth, maybe more.” The distance in her voice gives Wally a moments pause.

But only a moment. “We’re making this trip special for Kirk. How long does it take to get to Mars?”

“A little more than a month.” And the worst time of my entire life. All alone except for Uncle J’onn, it nearly drove me mad with loneliness.

“Call M’comm when we get back to the States and see if he wants to come to Earth.” Insists Wally as he strains his ears uselessly for any trace of Kirk. “Summer break is long enough that we can make the trip without missing any school.” Only way my parents would even consider saying yes.

As she processes the heartfelt offer, M’gann suddenly snaps alert when she feels a new presence. <Kirk, stop!>

<But they’re hurting it!> The images Superboy sends are confusing to the pair.

The soldiers are a concern, if expected. But it’s the screeching red sphere that draws him deeper into the camp. Clouds of dust shield him from direct view, but make his path incredibly obvious.

His approach isn’t silent, with each of the impacts sending armed men bouncing along the sand. It’s only at the last moment the powerful psychic presence makes himself known.

<It’s far too late to escape now.> The pale flesh and exposed brain of Psimon give Kirk pause and that’s all it takes. <But don’t worry children. I promise you aren’t going to remember how much this will hurt.>

Pain surges through the trio’s minds in an avalanche, wiping away the last six months in only a few moments. As Wally slides off his camel in a stupor, he manages to press the emergency beacon on his belt.

“Uncle Barry...” His voice slurs as his message breaks radio silence. “Help.”

Notes: I know it's a smaller one, so expect another chapter later today. ​

14. ThedudeManBro

ThedudeManBro The Dudeliest Man on the block, Bro!

I've known Greta for all of three chapters, but if anything happened to her I'd put you all on ice and then kiss an icepick myself.

How can my Ghost Girl possibly be this cute?!

15. Flightless Man

Then I have succeeded. She was awlways one of my favourites from the OG comic. Still mad she only got a single spotlight episode. The more they pull from S1, the stranger that episode feels being a stand alone.

16. Threadmarks: Chapter 17: Time Waits For Snowman
    Flightless Man

Chapter 17: Time Waits For Snowman
    Belle Reve, Louisiana
    September 10, 9:45 PM CDT

Waller just stares at me, daring me to give her the lip she’s heard about. “How are you enjoying the time in solitary? That little stunt with Daddy worth it?”

“No one’s going to try jumping me without being sure I’m unarmed now.” And with how many enemies I’m going to make, kind of need that protection.

“You don’t seem concerned about your ‘friend Tommy.” The warden crosses her arms and narrows her eyes. “And after her choked out Mammoth for you.” That’s why the behemoth didn’t do more than roar once I slashed his ligament.

“Friends look out for each other.” Having proof that’s what Tommy is, gives me a strange sense of peace.

The terror of doing this all by myself is gone and been replaced by an even worse fear. What if I get the guys hurt? I have no idea how to lead a crew.

“I didn’t think you had the nerve to try anything.” She admits with a barely noticeable nod. “As mad at you as I am. It was impressive, if incredibly idiotic.” Sounds kind of like you’re even more pissed off at your guards for the slip.

“You haven’t seen stupid yet.” Snorting at her suddenly furious expression, I realize this is my best chance. “Like seriously, what kind of moron tries to stop a prison break?”

Silence is my only answer at first, until I get a deadly serious growl from Waller. “Explain. Now!.”

“I kind of screwed everything up.” Anger is blinding and I really do need some proper therapy. “Didn’t find out the plan before I made my move.”

“You’re selling out your own father. Why should I believe a single thing you say?” She’s no idiot and watches for even a twitch out of line.

Taking a deep breath, I put it all on the line. “Because I hate my father more than I fear for my life.”

Suddenly the fans kick into overdrive, with gusts of freezing air coming out of every vent. “Hope you brought a jacket to work today. It’s about to get real cold.”

“Lock-down the prison!” She roars into her radio. “This is not a drill!”

“You should probably wait here until things... warm up.” I warn the determined woman as I reach a finger towards my neck. “I can make it look like I trapped you. Would make everybody ignore you for a while.”

The ice armour forms around my skin with a very missed sensation and with it comes access to my energy. A quick pulse of blue later and I end up with frozen bits of collar on the floor.

“Calling the League probably wouldn’t hurt either.” Pausing in front of my cell door, I wait for Waller’s decision. “You did make it sound like it’s going to take a while to get inside.”

“One step out of line and I put you down hard.” She finally decides to give me the barest sliver of trust.

Rolling my eyes at that, I prepare for the sounds of chaos I can already hear outside. “You may want to save the ammo.”

The door shatters open as easily as my collar once I run press a hand against it. It’s easy to do now that I know how to fill any space with dense blue ice.

“You’re paying for that.” Growls Waller as she enters the hallway with some kind of high tech pistol drawn.

“We need to get to my crew.” I’ve had nothing but time to think and it’s time to prove I can apply everyone’s unique skills. “We need to turn off the air conditioning and turn the collars back on. But I can’t be in two places at once.”

“And I’m not letting you out of my sight.” She warns firmly.

Getting back to D-block isn’t actually very hard. Only time consuming as Waller makes me freeze every inmate we see.

She may not care if I kill any of them. But I do and it takes a lot longer to leave air space around the skin.

“Get to the armoury and hold the room!” Waller directs a trio of guards that I barely manage to save from Killer Croc. “We need to regain control.”

“Tommy and his guys can get the heat on!” I shout over the burst fire of her energy based weapon, wincing as it strikes Black Spider square in the chest. “But you warm bloods are running out of time!”

Her teeth are starting to chatter, forcing me to hurry us up with some creativity. “Get on!”

Waller frowns at the block of ice on countless half melted balls. A clear wall at the front has a few holes, giving her a clear view and shot at anyone we find.

“Senior really has been holding you back this whole time. Nothing in your file is up to date it seems.” Cautiously, the Warden climbs onto my construct.

It takes a few second to get us rolling with any real speed. But once I do, the momentum sends us barrelling through the halls.

No on we see wants to risk a direct hit and throws themselves into the nearest cell. Each one who does, gets sealed inside with a quick blast of ice.

“Boss!” Tommy cheers when I finally manage to stop the sled, with the rest of his crew successfully holding the corridor. “I knew you’d be fine.”

“But we aren’t going to be for long.” I warn them, creating a wall of ice to block off the route I just came from. “So it’s time to negotiate.”

Waller uncrosses her arms and aims her weapon at me, which only gets Tommy to crack his knuckles. “And why would I even consider that?”

“Because I can just bail with my guys once I get Shade his staff.” The mentioned creep waves at our scowling warden. “So if you want to keep everyone else in this place. You agree to let them all go to France.” They don’t extradite to the States, I made sure to check when I had access to Cobblepot’s legal team.

“All of them?” Noticing the choice of words, Waller turns her stare on me with it’s full intensity. “And what do you want?”

“Transferred somewhere I don’t have to worry about getting stabbed.” I don’t want to rot in here forever. But I can’t just run away from the people I’ve hurt. “And a chance to actually start paying back my crimes. America lets crooks clean up garbage, let me go clean up Everest or something.”

The IRS values a human life at roughly eight million dollars. With seventeen deaths and nearly a hundred injuries on my conscience... I have a few hundred million dollars worth of payback before I can even think about sleeping soundly at night.

“Didn’t think Tommy Boy knew what he was talking about.”Toyman chimes in with a respectful nod directed at me. “But you aren’t just using him.”

Kiteman agrees with the Metropolis criminal. “Or us it would seem.”

“What do you need us to do?” Ratcatcher manages to say that without twitching.

“Toyman needs to get these fans off.” Turning to my only true friend, I give Tommy command of the mission. “So I’m trusting you to make sure that happens. Take everyone but Clay and Cheapjack with you.” I’ll need someone with technical know how and Clayface can hold back the swarm of goons.

Of course Waller decides to open her mouth and nearly ruin everything. “I haven’t agreed to anything yet.”

“You lose everyone or you lose these guys.” The clouds of breath are already thick enough to catch in a pot, making me snarl with impatience. “Choose now!”

“Would it help if I promised the League will approve such a deal.” Clayface’s voice distorts into a far deeper voice, with his rolls of ooze suddenly pulling back into the shape of a dark haired man.

The red and yellow strongman suit is a bold choice that I can only vaguely recognize. But Waller seems to know exactly who was pretending to be my roommate.

“Plasticman...” The growl Amanda releases puts all the rest today to shame and I feel a little hint of jealousy. “You aren’t a member. You have no way of keeping that promise.”

“This is my test mission for the covert team. But I gotta say, I think I’m going to try that acting thing instead once we wrap things up here.” The shiny man’s grin stretches wide enough to fit at least a few watermelons inside. “Sounds a whole lot more profitable than beating up the bad guys.”​

17. GraphiteCrow

GraphiteCrow Daemon of Slaanesh

Waller after Sub-Zero's team succeeds: "I should use villains as my minions more often"

18. Dariusz

Dariusz Owlcatz

0o0. Oh God your right.

19. Dariusz

Dariusz Owlcatz

I kind of assumed Clayface wasn't himself since in the original he was little more then an animal. But i thought he was Mrs martian.

20. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Ayyyyyyy, Plastic Man!

A.K.A. "Reed Richards, but like, not an asshole"

Really liked him in that one batman cartoon.

Sub-Zero: "Man, with these odds it's like we're some kind of suicide squad"

Waller: "Write that down, write that down!"

Vigil O'Sin, !Renzie0, Dante and 19 others like this.
  21. TheToFu

TheToFu ToFu

The plastic man was a nice twist, I thought it would by Mrs Martian or her uncle. plastic man is very under rated and I'm glad to see someone use him.

22. MudkipSage

MudkipSage Versed in the lewd.

Dude, no. He's neigh-indestructible, and has neigh unlimited shapeshifting. dividing him up into his constitute molecules doesn't actually kill him. He could 100% go T-1000, but without any human-like limitations. Dude turns into motorcycles and shit. He doesn't even seem to need to mind pesky things like mass often enough as no one notices if he is pretending to be a shovel. The only things that could reliably get in his way are especially esoteric things, and he is one of the few heroes that batman goes 'well, shit.' when trying to think up counters. IIRC his approach is "Idunno, freeze him solid? Check using freezes tech in case I need to use it in an attempt to stop him"

It's only his personality that holds him back from being terrifying. He's a greedy goofball.

23. SIDoragon

SIDoragon Dragon of Story and Song

I think you mean "Reed Richards, but like, a much bigger asshole. But he is funny so we forgive him."

Seriously, didn't expect Plasticman. Nice move.

24. Flightless Man

Hopefully working with her willingly will let them avoid implanted explosives.

I don't think anyone was expecting plasticman. And only a few considered one of the Martians.

That is freaking hilarious.

I try an use an even mix of big names and lesser known characters.

Which was why he freaked out so much in the armoured truck. I'm pretty much his kryptonite in human form

I loved the idea of Glenn also talking a hero out of joing the league by accident.

25. Threadmarks: Interlude 9: Be A Better Man
    Flightless Man

Interlude 9: Be A Better Man
    Belle Reve, Louisiana
    September 10, 10:38 PM CDT

On the roof of the maximum security prison, Red Arrow gives commands to those of his team still in the country. “Hex and-” Only for Robin to interrupt him with a suspicious cough. “... Robin. I want the two of you on the generator.”

“No problem.” The grateful look Robin gives is telling. “The guards said they have thermal gear. You want us to crank it up to sauna levels?”

“Good idea.” Roy agrees readily, hoping it will make things harder for his arch rival. “Huntress and Aqualad. Subdue the riot in the ladies wing and then make your way to the warden’s office.”

“Leaving you and your uncle to take on the guys?” Frowning at his plan to split them all up, Artemis points to the eager Secret. “What about the new girl? Is she ready for this?”

Ready to prove herself to her new friends, Greta throws up a hasty salute. “Don’t worry. I can get you all through the roof and drop everyone off in a safe spot.”

“I know you can, you’ve really been practicing.” Agrees Roy with a hint of pride in his voice. “You’re ready for this.”

He and Guardian land on in the men’s wing, with Greta floating back upwards with a farewell ‘good luck’. As soon as Greta’s feet disappear through the roof, the elder Harper turns to his nephew with a blank face.

“Broken Arrow.”

Belle Reve, Louisiana
    September 10, 10:41 PM CDT

“Watch your back.” Artemis calls out to the last two still on the roof, as she and the stoic Kaldur phase through the roof. Can’t let him beat us to Cameron, Roy’s way too mad to think this through properly!

Sensing the same rage in his friend, Kaldur ends up being the one to say it out loud. “We can’t let the inmates slow us down.”

“As long as we’re in agreement.” Artemis narrows her eyes and sends a foam arrow at the unaware Shimmer.

“Good shot.” Compliments Kaldur as he leaps at his own target with his water bearers at the ready.

After seeing the Atlantean bring down Granite Janet with only a simple combo, Artemis returns the respect. “That was both new and impressive as hell. Going back to school seems to be paying off for you.”

“I must agree. Though I wish L’gaan would stop pestering me about our Martian friend.” One visit was all it took to put hearts in his eyes and far to many requests to visit in Kaldur’s ear.

His next move is barrage of liquid hammerheads, with the hallway cleared of anyone willing to go a second round. “Queen Mera is a most excellent teacher.”

“I already said it was nice.” Snorts the archer as her net makes sure the inmates aren’t going anywhere for a while. “Stop fishing for compliments.”

“Someone has to fill in for Sonic.” He flashes her an amused grin as the two charge through the hallway.

The confidence in them falters at the sight of half a dozen mangled bodies. The blood almost concealing the uniforms of the guards entirely. “Huntress to everyone. Be careful, they aren’t pulling any punches.”

“Noted.” Guardian responds at the same time Robin chimes in with his own.

“A little late on the warning.” His voice is grim over the radio.

The snarl from an open cell is the only warning Aqualad gets when the transformed Hyena attacks. She flings herself at him, with gnashing jaws nearly closing on his throat.

“What did we agree on?” Kaldur blocks the hallway with his body and readies a pair of hydro blades.

Not wanting to leave him but knowing she has to, Artemis gives him a very grateful nod. “No slowing down for anything.”

“Stop Red Arrow before he does something he will regret.” Are the last words she hears from Aqualad, her feet swiftly carrying her towards the office. He can take care of himself.

The fans start to blow out warm air and a very relieved Huntress radios it in. “Nice job Robin. You got the heat back on!”

“That wasn’t us.” Corrects a very confused Boy Wonder. “But it would explain the lack of resistance. Everyone’s already been dropped over here.”

Only her boots make make any sound as Huntress finally arrives at a section of smashed wall. “I’m getting close.”

“And we finally got an answer on the surprise help.” Robin’s voice responds a few seconds later. “And let’s just say you aren’t going to be happy RA.”

They don’t get an answer from him or Guardian, making Artemis grit her teeth in determination. He must have found Cameron already. “Shit!”

“Greta, you need to find Red Arrow and get ready to stop him.” Hissing into her microphone, Artemis skids to a stop at the sight waiting for.
    Finding a trio of inmates already restrained by a few hundred feet of Plasticman all twisted up like a cable, only his head recognizably human. Watching the only recently redeemed crook carefully, Artemis tries to maintain eye contact.

"You better get inside. Icicle's not giving up without a fight." Somehow she manages not to stare as he gestures with his tongue.

“Thanks.” Is all she says, rolling into the office with a sonic arrow at the ready. Hope these shatter ice like Ted promised.

“Cameron...” She realizes things aren’t anything like she was expecting.

“Another one of your friends?” Artemis recognizes the surly voice at once. Icicle Senior.

Allowing herself only a moment to scan the room, Artemis is confused to find Cameron is standing back to back with an armed Amanda Waller. Heatwave and a Devastation both waiting for a chance to strike.

“You alright Jack?” Cameron shifts his attention back to a man with an arm encased in ice. “Just don’t panic and I’ll get you out in a jiffy.”

“I don’t think you will.” His father snarls, his padded elbow smashing the arm into pieces.

Screams of shock come from the victim as he falls to the floor, cradling his stump to his chest. At the same time he strikes, Sub-Zero creates a wall of ice to shield the warden, while a second beam encases Devastation up to the shoulders.

“Take him down!” Snarls the heavyset woman with the gun, with a trio of energy blasts dropping Heatwave with precision.

With shock in her eyes, Cameron does something she’s always wanted to do to her own father. He fights him for real, with not even a fraction of himself holding back.

Beams of pale blue is all Senior has to face off with his son. But Sub-Zero has for more raw power to work with and he proves it.

Instead of watching a beam war like she remembers from her childhood, Artemis watches with pride as Cameron slams an icy boxing glove into Senior’s nose. It’s only when the elder Mahkent is on the floor that Artemis makes herself speak.

“Don’t do this Cameron.” She pleads with her friend as he watches his father reach feebly for his cold gun. “Prove you really are better than him.” Don’t let Roy be right about you.

As he turns to speak, Artemis only just catches Senior’s dirty trick. With the second arm pinned beneath his body, Icicle fires a blast of blue from a second weapon.

The beam lances directly towards Amanda Waller, who doesn’t flinch as death barrels towards her. And when Huntress leaps in front of the attack, Waller doesn’t waste a second unloading into the villain with his own cold gun just waiting for someone on the floor.

Icicle senior roars with rage as he ends up frozen, with only his head still exposed to the air. Though unlike Devastation, his body is already succumbing to the extreme temperature.

“Finish him!” Calls out the still watching Plasticman.

“Cameron doesn’t have it in him to get rid of his old man.” Coughs out Icicle. Partly in fear and partly from misguided belief in his son’s conditioning.

Exhaling a cloud of frosty air, Sub-Zero finally tears his grief filled eyes away from his oldest friend. “Her last request was for me to be better than you.”

He stalks towards his shivering father, with none of the fear he once felt from the man inside him. “But it’s going to be a lot easier to be better than half a man!”

The sudden stomp on his father’s waist removes both legs in an explosion of shattering ice. “You should probably get him to the infirmary before he thaws out. Only has a few minutes before he bleeds to death.”

Without another thought towards the man discarded from his life, Sub-Zero presses his hands against the entombed Artemis. He doesn’t notice when a panting Kaldur arrives to help Plasticman with his foes. Nor does he react when Robin and Zatanna arrive with the rest of his crew.

But when Roy arrives and starts to yell, the ice starts to melt around the girl. Seeing this, even Roy’s rage manages to cool down at the tears in his rivals eyes.​

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  26. DoggY

DoggY Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Holy crap is Artemis dead? That sucks if she is, would of liked to see more character interactions and development between the two they had a pretty interesting relationship going on. Also, wow that crippling of Icicle Sr was badass and definitely well deserved. Looking forward to the next chapter.

27. Flightless Man

Reread the last paragraph.

Thank you. I know some people felt let down by not killing him in the cafeteria. But I thought this was a lot more intense.

28. FTR2017

FTR2017 Well worn.

Plastic Man: Finish him!
    Sub-Zero: Executes Fatality.
    *Insert cheesy scream of pain going on for a long while*
    Fatality!

Gotta love the classics! I am loving this story, and I am hoping to see where you are taking this ride! :D

29. Jkript

Jkript I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well atleast cameron has a leg to stand on

30. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

From Interlude 8
    So this would mean the Justice League would have had 13 hours and 12 minutes to notice Wally’s message or the situation in Bialya. Or at least they had that long to inform the Belle Reve team about what was happening but did not do so. I think that, seeing Psimon’s capabilities in Cameron Glenn, things are going to take a radical turn away from canon in that desert.

I wonder how Waller will feel about all of this once things calm down. Will Warden Strange escape punishment? Will she attempt to repay her debt to Artemis or the League on her behalf? I guess Cheshire could get sent there somehow.