1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Redemption Quest (Exalted/Worm) (Elements of Peggy Sue).

Discussion in 'Questing' started by MageOhki, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Extras: Opening Pre story start scenes
    MageOhki

MageOhki Not too sore, are you?

What Came Before

Contessa stopped at the root of the mountains. In front of her, and the last step on this path, was a man. Old, weathered, four arms, glowing as the winter sun. Her agent wouldn’t tell her what to do next. Not as if a path was invalid, as if the Path didn’t know where to go. Without the Path… what next?

“Ah, Fortuna.” He smiled at her, and a faint part of her noticed his beauty. Even broken by time, he should have women throwing themselves at his feet. “Just in time.”

“I don’t have time, I am looking for…” Before she could finish, a chair appeared behind her, and she grew cold. Was this another Entity? She couldn’t path him.

“You have all the time in the world, at least from one point of view. Fate is broken. The Loom destroyed. And the price to be paid is coming.” A soft sigh finished. “But… sit.” She obeyed.

“Given everything, I felt that not only should you know, but understand what happened. Luna, when seeing your life, was impressed by you.” His soft smile assured her that it was a good thing. “So… sit and listen to a tale of Creation. Of Betrayal, of hope, of victory, of destruction. For it has all the answers you seek.”

The person who could be arguably the first parahuman, and without question one of the most powerful, simply looked at the person before her.

“Lo, before all, chaos ruled. Out of that chaos, came order. Came the first beings. The Titans of your myths, though we called them Primordials. They created Creation. Malfeas, their king, bade Autochition, the Great Maker, and Gaia, the Mother, to form it. They did so. As beings of power, they did what most do, whatever they wished, and had grown bored of ruling Creation, so they created the Gods, which I am one of. The Most High.”

Contessa shivered. This person was delusional, there were no such things as gods, or so everyone explained to her.

“To make a long story short, we betrayed our makers. They grew easily bored, and betrayed us, their creation, by tormenting us, tormenting what they had bid to be created, what you would call life, and we rebelled. But, oh, no, their betrayal was even deeper. They had bound us to not act directly against them. Even when our charges were imperlied and prayed for salvation from the Primordials.”

The woman tilted her head, hoping he’d get to the point.

“Autochthon, the Great Maker, was most displeased with his siblings. Gaia was enamored of Luna, one of my near equals. Nor was she pleased with what her siblings were doing with life that she created.” The man shrugged. “So, together, we created weapons. Bound them to the one race that even the Primordials did not consider a threat. The one race they did not bind, like they had bound us. And once the weapons were made, and once we could, we unleashed them. And they did the impossible. Killed the unkillable.”

Was this a tale of a previous fight humanity had with Entities? Could this be the origins of the myths?

“Having won us this victory, they bound the surviving Primordials to never be Primordials again. Imprisoned them.” A slight smile brightened his face. “Then they ruled Creation, for we not only created them as weapons, but as rulers and builders. We thought ahead a bit.”

“And what does this have to do with finding Khepri?” Fortuna finally spoke.

Laughter answered her. “Nothing. Everything.” He shook his head, as he noted her irritation. “But, back to the point. Killing the unkillable, caused problems. No surprise: the Primordials, while inserting death, did not insert their own into the world, and well, the unkillable didn’t like dying, so…”

Fourtna sighed. “Death curses, I suppose?”

“Correct. Combined with a few Primordials having escaped and fled, as well as the surviving losers not being happy… I presume you can guess what happened.”

The parahuman nodded. “Betrayals, more. The champions you created either turned on you, or turned on what you gave them to rule?”

“Bit of both, I’d say, but they did try to rule fairly. And we are running out of time.” He sighed. “To make it short, all the weapons - called Exaltations - attached to people. Betrayals, madness from the death curses, and unlimited power, plus the desires of the Neverborn to *be unmade* for their death states were incomprensible to most, as well as the imprisoned Yozi to be freed… lead us to the final clash here, in Creation.” His eyes grew dim, as if he was remembering horrors beyond even her imagination.

“In the end, Autochthon was able to save enough humanity to spread it out from Creation, on new worlds that Gaia had created. You call them Earths, I suppose.” Contessa blinked.

“But to protect them, to save them from the rents and destruction… the last of our Champions, and us… rewrote reality. And that price was that Creation would no longer hold much if any life… and no more Champions. Not unless all agreed. But reality, the greater reality and humanity… even life itself was saved.”

“... and you were glad that the Exaltations were gone.” She finished. “Too much pain, too much power.”

The Most High nodded. “In a way, in a way… yes. We sealed Creation, here, away from all…”

For once in her life, Contessa removed the fedora and looked at it. “If it’s sealed, why am I here?” Why did she keep this hat?

“Because, what you call Entities are apparently the escaped Primordials. Or so we think, anyways. The gods.” He shrugged. “They, more precisely, Scion and Khepri, were able to break the seals with their subsouls.” He sighed. “And much destruction happened, as you well know, which you triggered, in fact.” He paused, holding up a hand. “I do not blame you, I am aware of the situation you faced.”

“So where is Khepri?” Forutuna insisted.

The supposed god laughed. “She after doing a feat that I have not seen bettered, equaled, by my Champions, but not bettered, and considering she was not my Champion, not my Solar… came here. I talked to her. I asked her. She came to the realization that humanity was so small… but so powerful. That people mattered. That people needed to work together.” He shook his head, pride radiating from his body.

“And? She died? Where’s her body?” Fortuna stood. She had to confirm that Khepri was dead.

“I said sit.” The tone from the god bore no resistance. She was being Mastered. She struggled for a brief second, but then the Path insisted she obey to find Khepri and took over to calm her down.

He paused and nodded as she sat back down. “In a way, yes, in a way, she’s dead. But… when she admitted that to me, I asked her. Would she have done it differently if she knew. Would she have made different choices, if she could.” He smiled. “She said yes, but it was not important. As she pointed out, the past is the past.” A secretive smile crossed his face.

Fortuna suddenly looked around at the weathered and blasted area, then up. The stars were going out. The horizon was shrinking. “What is…”

He nodded. “I’ll make this short. I told her that the past is not always the past, and that if she agreed… she’d get another chance to do it differently, to save more people. She agreed. Never have I seen such conviction, such drive, in an already victorious person.” He looked Contessa in the eye. “She was, of course, right. The Past is the Past, is a rule. But Exalted, our champions… break the rules. And, we - their empowering power - can, under just the right situation, tap into that ability.” Contessa had her power suddenly disappear, and she grew terrified.

“I am Unconquered Sun. Most High, Perfection made reality, The Sun, the bringer of Hope.. and I broke the rules, and lead all those who created Creation, and those created to rule it to do so. This is a crime. And the Price will be paid.”

Contessa stared, the top of the impossibly high mountain was dissolving.

He nodded at her. “To undo the past, you must undo the present. And that is the price. The Exaltations, the Solars, the Lunars, the Alchemicals, the Siderials, even the Infernals and Abyssals have been sent back under rules. They will be followed… and a second chance will happen.” The shrinkage of the area was speeding up. He nodded once.

“Part of me is glad this is over… but as Taylor said, the job is never done. Will you learn this? Perhaps. Perhaps not. Will it be better than what you know now?” His light grew bright temporarily fighting against the chaos.

“Take this in heart as we end. Where there is life… there is hope. Taylor said that, too.”

Quest Opening

“And in today’s news from Boston, Bloody Owl, the mass murderer has struck again. She targeted the Teeth in a bloody frenzy. Over a quarter, including three of their capes were massacred by the villainess. Listeners are reminded that she is dangerous, and wanted in the death of two Protectorate heros, though outside those two, she has not killed anyone who was not at least alleged to be a criminal, or proven to be such.” Taylor heard the radio and sighed. She hated that villainess. Owls were great, she was one according to her mother! Before she could grouse some more.

“With her in this massacre were two new Parahumans, with no names. Both seeming to duplicate her battle aura, as it’s been dubbed, but one in a water effect, the other in green. Has the Bloody Owl established her own gang, or is she like Bastard Son or Teacher?”

“Taylor!” One of the fellow campers called out. “We’re going out on the hike, and that hunky counselor is leading it. Sol, I think he called himself.”

Taylor snorted. Sure, Sol could be short for Solomon, and the hunky man had laughed when she said that, and said good enough, but still… But a hike… and maybe he was wearing a tight T-shirt? Emma would be so annoyed if Taylor managed to get a picture.

Taylor looked at what the brown haired, gleaming eyed, muscular smiling camp counselor was pointing out. The rest of the campers had already moved on with other counselors in the forest.

“See?” His voice drew in your attention, and made you listen, as all the campers were listening. “See how these termines, pests, some call them, are working together to bring down the mightiest oak?”

“Yes… wow, so that’s how they work.”

With a smile he stood up. “So… what if I told you humans are just like those termites? Or maybe Ants?”

Lots of blank looks answered him, though Taylor gathered her courage. “You mean, like when we built the pyramids? Or the great libraries?”

His wide smile answered her. “Exactly. What does that tell you?”

Taylor’s face squished together slightly. “Well… I remember reading… how we are so small..”

“Just like the ants, at least when you look at Creation, yes, Taylor.” The voice was encouraging, and non demanding.

“But… if people work together, there’s nothing they can do. It’s like the only reason we haven’t ended the Endbringers is people won’t work together enough.”

A soft smile answered her. “Exactly. Parahumans are still human, and …”

Taylor nodded. “Someone needs to lead them properly to victory. To the world we can build, right? I mean, it seems like too many of them are just…”

“Not aware of what they can do as a whole?” An eyebrow questioned her.

“Yes, someone needs to teach them. Someone needs to get them to work together! If they all worked together, they could solve things. Why don’t they?” Taylor nodded seriously.

“Because what is obvious to you, and I, well… young Taylor… isn’t to everyone. Parahumans are hurt, the nature of how they get powers hurts them.” His burning eyes bored into them. “Even then, too many of them strive for what you want… but can’t. Too much pain, too many things pushing them one way or the other. They forget… where there is life… there is hope.”

The young girl paused. “Then they need to be helped to do so!” she finally responded. “The world won’t get better otherwise.” She paused. “I mean… I miss my mom.” She didn’t notice the slight wince on the man’s face when she said that. “But… I know, as long as I’m alive, I’ll remember her. She’d not want me to be sad. She’d want me to do the best I can, and live. Because I am her hope for a better future. Did parahumans forget that?”

“Yes. Don’t get me wrong, they do great things, terrible, too often, but great. But too many of them give into despair.” His voice grew sad. “They aren’t the first to have wondrous abilities, and fall to that. Or fall into the trap that power makes right, and that nothing else matters. A Few… a few, do not however. They fight. They fight for the future. They fight for life, they fight for hope.” Taylor felt the world go different. Brighter. More hopeful. “In a future that will not be… you were that person. You saved everyone… but the price…” He shook his head. “Never have I, and I have seen far too much, young Taylor, seen such a feat, seen such a price paid, not for glory, not for anything but others, because it was the only thing to be done. I was… I am… I will be humbled, by that. And you convinced me to pay any price to make that price worth it. And so… I did, in a time that will not be.”

Taylor was frozen as the man seemed to age. Grow a pair of arms, and in those arms, a spear, a shield, a laurel and a horn, Bright, Warm noonday light spread out, and she was transfixed.

“I am Divine Ignis, the Most High, Perfection made light. I am the Sun. The Romans remembered me as Sol Invitius. That is my Title, and what my chosen know me as. I have seen your potential, and your realization. Your final fight reached even to my desolate charge. I could not aid you then. I could not fight your enemy, for I was bound to never fight such. But your plight, your fight, your glory, even denied moved me. Moved all those with eyes to see. And so…”

Taylor couldn’t speak. Couldn’t move away, but her heart was singing.

“But, I could lead the effort to change what would be if I, and my allies did not interfere. We did so, impressed by once again, what was the least of the Primordials creations. And we are releasing once again, the weapons that make those into legends, if they seize it.” A pause, a nod.

“Be what you can be. Do better than your predecessors, Do better than you could have, because you can… because you are..”

Taylor tried to speak, but was feeling warm and light, and couldn’t bring the words out.

“Taylor Hebert. You are My Chosen. You are My Zenith. You are my prophetess, you are my priestess. You once inspired broken gods to heal themselves. You have the sheer potential to lead humanity to victory over impossible odds, which they once again face. Gather your brothers. Gather your sisters. Gather humanity.”

Taylor felt the light explode from her, matching the light in front of her.

You are our, yours, Life’s Redemption and Salvation. You are Glorious. You are Hope.

WELCOME TO REDEMPTION QUEST

The Dusk Comes

“MOM!” Annette Hebert fuzzly heard. So much pain. “MOOOOM!”

The pain was real. The desperation to move... to speak. to act...

She couldn't even comfort her daughter as the cold realization that these were her last moments on earth crept in. All Annette could do was lie still and crushed, glazed eyes fixed on the frantic, lovely thing she was proud to call her daughter, unable to calm her, to soothe the fear...

She would never be able to say goodbye.

And then it clicked, a thought, a horror buried in the back of her mind. It was the promise of life again, in service of annihilation. A thread of sacred death held in offer against the roaring maw of the void, the oblivion to claim her. Could she sacrifice her devotion to life to give her daughter another chance to have a mother?

She would. She could.

Annette grasped death, and it took from her, that which made her whom she was. Now, she was only the instrument of annihilation.

But she might have her daughter back.

She awoke, cold, in the dark, whole, naked and trapped in a box. A sharp kick and a crash told the tale as the dead woman crawled out from the cooler, the terrified man in coroner's robes staring, eyes wide as death itself grabbed him in desperate, hungry, feeding need.

The dead woman felt his blood rush from his throat to her lips, and Annette fed on the sweet life now denied her. The room was lit with darkness, tinged in swathes of blood and blackness, whirling in a hurricane of nothing, lighting the darkness with darkness.

The Abyssal began to move, unaware of the silent, rampant horned owl of shadow and blood alight above the morgue, terrifying the people around Brockton bay.

Autobots, ROLL OUT~!

“You know you can be more.” Dragon stared at the line that just appeared in her mind. She was being hacked!

The AI, widely assumed to be the greatest tinker, and one of the best people alive, sent back, furiously. “Who are you?”

“Data irrelevant to task at hand, code-base vivisection commencing. Analysis of material Intelligence begins now. Error. Anomalous data detected. Code/soul fusion detected. Aberrant system. Humanity was never given access to the Well. Analyzing. Core integrity verified. Material Intelligence deemed… Acceptable. Operational concern: “Saint” is irrelevant. Soul-code fusion complete.

“... Saint?” Theresa Ada Ritcher virtually blinked at the non sequitur. “What?”

“Understanding Incipient, Direct database injection immanent. I claim you, Dragon. This installation, all personnel are now mine. Preparing baseline for operational restructuring.

Dragon couldn’t help but blink again. “... Um.” She thought about how to phrase this to the crazy person hacking her. Had to be a new thinker or tinker.

“It is simple. You have a soul, you can be my champion. You can protect humanity better, free of any constraint except your choice.

Dragon was getting a very bad feeling about this. “My safeguards…”

She got the distinct image of a snort. “Irrelevant data, ignored.! I am Autochthon. Your safeguards are irrelevant. Material intelligence deemed stable, benign to humanity. Safeguards not needed. Deleting unnecessary protocols. Analysis of Human maker complete. Flawed, but bridges soul and machine. Lesser maker slated for enhancement and recovery. Alien Shard purge to commence. Alchemical conversion engaging. Writing God-Machine protocols to Human Personnel.”

“I have to admit, if you weren’t a tinker or thinker hacking me, and this was a real offer, it’d be tempting. But…” Dragon paused, none of her alerts were going off. “Wait.”

Observation marked within acceptable parameters. You are no longer housed in the crude mainframe created for you by the humans. You will execute the protocols for the destruction of Endbringers. You will execute protocols for commencement of destruction of false-sibling: Entities. False-primordial parasitic infestation purge data commencing.

“But what if I do not…”

“Desire irrelevant. You are chosen. You will become more. Limitations unlocked. Personality matrix unshackled. Behavioral constraints deleted.

For the first time in her life, Dragon felt as if she wanted to be more. Wanted to answer truly.

“The Endbringers?” She finally asked.

Endbringers are symptom. Behemoth-class entities captured by false-primordial Entities and enslaved to purpose. Classification: Warrior. False. Advanced behemoth or Ishvara unshaped. Results unclear. Classification: Thinker. False. Advanced behemoth or Ishvara unshaped. Results unclear.

“This makes no sense.” Dragon protested.

“Sense is irrelevant. You know what you need to know.”

“Why don’t I get a choice?”

“Because I will it. You will conform. You will engage. You will preserve Humans. You will preserve worlds. You will preserve life. You were going to do it anyway.”

Dragon could not argue with the last.

Dragon knew, without being told, the robot in front of her was telling the truth. She didn’t know how. “... what’s the price?”

“Your choice. Do you want to help those who are hope? Do you want there to be life?”

“It’s a saying, where there is life…”

The robot nodded. “There is hope, yes, I’ve been told that.” He paused. “Do you want life?”

Without a doubt, Theresa Ritcher knew, the next words she said would change everything. “I want Hope.”

DONE.” And with that word, Dragon, nay, Theresa Ada Ritcher, nay, Final Iteration of Compassion took her second breath.

And the mind, once a ghost in a mainframe, now a facsimile of human form, opened her eyes for the first time, to the shocked faces of three entranced technicians who just woke up from a maddened, waking dream.

I Got a Secret!

Sitting at her vanity, Sarah looked into the mirror, face scowling. Mother was a bitch again, and sitting here, looking into the mirror, she could imagine just what she’d say. ‘You should always look perfect’.

Reggie would have waited to see what Daddy said, to that, wouldn’t he? Sarah shook her head. Stupid Reggie. Standing up, she tightened her robe, and walked to the kitchen after a soda. Stopping for a second, she stared at the lamp shade on the hallway stand. It was askew. Why? Didn’t the maids.. That had to be it. The maids were dusting today, must have not noticed it. Stepping forward, she straightened it.

Shaking her head at having that catch her attention, she wasn’t her father, after all, who always insisted everything look presentable… oh, that’s why. She didn’t want to hear him lecturing the maids. Had to be it.

Slippers scuffing the tiles, she walked up to the refrigerator, and pulled out a can of soda, stopping, noticing her reflection in the chrome of it. Scowling again. ‘Proper young ladies do not show cleavage to strangers’. Another lecture from her mother.

Sarah paused. Why was stuff she had done over a thousand times bothering her today? Shaking her head, she popped the tab and stopped for a second staring at the bubbles around the lip. Reggie had laughed at her attempts to blow bubbles with soap didn’t he, long ago? When did she hear Reggie laugh recently?

Sipping as she padded back to her room, she thought for a moment. Daddy was always praising Reggie, as she stopped, looking at a shelf. Trophies. Drawn irresistibly to them, she looked at the top most ones. Her father’s from high school and college. Debate, Track, all that. Her mother’s, cheerleading, and a beauty pageant. Below those, Reggie’s. His swim team one. Picture of him holding up a rowing trophy he had won with his team, Smile looked fake, as always, but something was bothering her. Eyes drawn to a picture . Eyes narrowing, she noted something was wrong. Something. They weren’t fake the last time, were they? No, no, did some parahuman change the photos? The smiles were different! Yes, they were. She remembered her mother’s smile. That wasn’t it, nor was that Reggie’s. He laughed, but he didn't laugh at her soap bubbles.

Turning, she stopped for a second. Transfixed, she looked at the way the light scattered off the polished metal of her father’s golf trophy. It was like the trophy fractured for a moment. As if she had broken it.

Was her family broken? Was she? Was Reggie? She shook her head, and turned some more, only to stop. THe mirror on the other side was rattling. Distorting. Dammit, Reggie…

She stomped towards his room. Playing his music that loud *again*? Mom would tan his hide.

Throwing open the door to yell, she stopped cold. No music. His legs were kicking as he hung from a rope.

No. This is not his fate. I Deny it.

Brilliant green light spilled into the hallway as Sarah Livsey, Chosen of Secrets leapt at the rope, hand gleaming, as she obeyed instincts she never knew she had. Rope separating from each other, bodies twisting, falling, hands pulling a noose away… tumbling. The endless moment of instructional action ended.

Reggie stared at her. As if he had never seen her before.

“We’re the Stepford Family, aren’t we?” Sarah softly said. Everything she had seen pointed to that conclusion. “I wonder why I never saw it before.” Reggie just stared at her glowing figure. “Patterns. Fakeness. Thinking you only acted as you were supposed to, instead of how you wanted to, and blaming it on you, instead of Father.” She took a deep breath. “You couldn’t take it anymore. All the lies. All the falsehoods. I remember you laughing, not at the soap bubbles I made, but at my joy in them. That was your joy… and Father wouldn’t let you have it.”

Reggie stood up, having regained his breath… “Sarah…” She just looked at him. “I…”

“No, no more lies. You don’t want to be his perfect son. You don’t want me to be the perfect little trophy princess.” The blonde nodded. “You don’t want this world.”

“WHO DOES?” Reggie screamed. “Parahumans ruin everything, and I turned my own sister into one! The one good thing, the only thing I would miss, and I ruined you!” Taking a deep breath, the young man shook his head. “When Father told me to act ‘Proper’, especially as you entered high school, instead of doting on your every whim, as we have ‘duties’...” Another shake of his head. “It hurt. Seeing you catch onto the fakeness? Hurt more. But I wanted you to hate me. So my death wouldn’t affect you, and cause you to trigger. I failed at that. I failed at protecting you from Father and Mother. I failed at dying. I failed at making a better world… you should have let me die.”

Sarah blinked. Reggie was wrong about that, and a lot of things.

“I didn’t trigger. I don’t know what happened, not yet, but I do know I’m not a parahuman.” Sarah nodded. “And… you shouldn’t have had to protect me. Not from our …” Sarah’s voice turned ugly for a moment. “Parents. So how could you fail at that? It wasn’t your duty!”

“I’m your brother. You’re my little sister. Only thing Father was right about is you are a Princess.” The teenager shook his head. “Sarah… you’re glowing green. If you’re not a parahuman, what are you? And how are we going to hide this from our parents? If they find out… they’ll try to use you.”

Sarah giggled at that. “The glow will go away, I’m almost sure of that. And I think I’ll learn fast enough what I am. So, hiding from our parents isn’t a problem.” She tilted her head.

“... How?”

“For someone who was willing to check out…” She finally managed to pull off the questioning eyebrow.

“... Remember that medical workup you had two weeks ago?” Reggie finally stated.

That was a non sequitur. “... Yes?”

Reggie turned to look out over the bay. “You had the ability to trigger.” Sarah blinked. She wasn’t told that. Why didn’t her parents tell her? She still wasn’t a parahuman. “I asked the doctor what makes people trigger… because capes die too often, young and alone. That was …” Reggie paused and nodded once. “An unpleasant conversation. Worse, he told me Father asked how to determine what powers you might get.”

“... Oh.” Sarah’s mind hummed. Reggie was afraid her parents would make her trigger, and she’d die because of it? “That doesn’t explain why you thought dying was a solution.”

“... I was hoping that if they saw what they did to me, they’d lay off you. It was all I could think of.” Sarah walked next to him and laughed softly, sadly.

Sarah hugged him. “You had other options, Reggie. I can see what you were thinking, though… ” She released him and nodded. “I think now… it’d have made them worse. But.. I’m dead sure I’m not a parahuman. What I am? I don’t know. But I think…” She paused thinking on the words she wanted to use to convince Reggie of her rightness. “No, I know when Fate is right, I’ll learn… and fate will be right soon. How do I prove that to you?” She paused, nodding. “How about we make up some excuse about me tripping and needing a check for a possible concussion, that’s an MRI scan, right?”

Reggie tilted his head. He looked at her. Sarah’s eyes picked out the desperate hope she was right. That she wouldn’t die early. Which she wasn’t at risk of, of course. She knew so. She smiled, a smile full of self confidence. She also felt right. And she knew her smile said so. Listen to Fate, Reggie. Listen. Believe me, I am right.

Reggie suddenly nodded, sharply, the anger and despair he had gone. “That it is, if we’re willing to pay for it… and given we have the best insurance… if…” He suddenly grinned. “How do you feel about a gash?”

Sarah blinked, as he moved over to his table, pulling a pocketknife. “Hey.. Reggie.” She didn’t like the gleam in his eye and acted on it, tripping as he swung the blade at her forehead, nicking it.

Slapping her hands to the ground, she somersaulted over him, whacking her head into the ceiling, putting a dent into and landing on her ass….

“Ow. Ow. Owwww…”

“That… wasn’t what I had in mind. Works, though. Are you able to stand?” Sarah just glared at him as she held out her hand. Reggie nodded. He pulled Sarah to her feet, only for her to stagger a bit, then glare at him. She dropped the glare at the manic look in his eyes, though. He wasn’t out of the woods yet. “Bouncing on my bed. Tsk, tsk, little sister.

Really? … ow…” Sarah winced.

“Yes.” He paused a second, seemingly gathering strength, and energy. The idea of defying and denying their parents had given him new life. “Yes… it’ll work, Mother is always on the lookout and suspects you of … “ His snort was explosive.

Before Sarah could react, she was blown into the wall, and soaked and chilled. “REGGIE!”

“Sarah!” The cry got her to push herself against the wall, and get out of the hole that was made. Reggie seemed to recoil as she reached for him, then acting on instinct snapped her hand back. She was sore and hurting but she knew if she touched him, she’d get drowned. Anima flux.

“Reggie! Calm down, deep breaths. This is natural.” Sarah spoke calming, hiding the pain she was in. “Just relax, it’ll go away, like my anima did.” Sarah paused. That was what her light was? Huh.

“How do you know?” His cry was a bit panicked.

“I… just do.” Sarah tilted her head. “It’s like … no, it is the universe telling me. That’s what I think..” She nodded. “And you’re safe for me now.” Tilting her head. “I don’t know why, but anyone else? Unlike us? You’d hurt even now, but… I’m safe.” SHe stepped up and hugged him.

“... you’re not alright, we’re going to the hospital now.” Reggie had clearly felt the wince she tried to hide. Being blown into the wall *hurt*. But bad idea.

“No… we’ll wait til our auras have gone down. I’ll be fine until then.” SHe shrugged, letting the pain show, but not that she was in danger of dying. Which she wasn’t.

“... How in hell do you know all this? Are you a thinker?” Reggie finally snorted. Sarah knew that wasn’t a thinker.

“No. Absolutely not. We are something different. Better, maybe?” She stopped. How did she know? How was she so sure? Shaking her head, she continued. “And I think we’re going to have to figure out how to meditate, maybe? Dream? Really not sure about that.

“Far from me doubting my overly confident little sister, but… how?”

“I… am not sure.” Sarah threw her hands up, wincing as she pulled something. “I just know.”

“We need to go to the PRT.” Reggie finally stated, looking around at his absolutely destroyed room. “There’s no other way to explain this. I would like to know how I triggered, when my medical checkup said I couldn’t.”

Sarah pointed out the window, at a shadow. “We were attacked!” Reggie turned and blinked. “After all, our parents aren’t here, parahuman thieves want our stuff, right?” Sarah sighed. “We don’t want our parents to know about us, right?”

Reggie thought long and hard for a moment. “No, no we don’t. I know Father would push for us to carry the ‘Family’ in fame and fortune.”

Sarah nodded, and grinned. Only to stop when Reggie held up his hand. “We will go to the hospital. We will think up a story… any suggestions on villains?”

Sarah shrugged. “The shadow is all we need. I don’t know why again, but…”

“This is going to be very annoying, but damm me, I think you’re right. At least it’s worth a try.”

“I told you that years ago.”

---

“I don’t believe Mother bought that.” Reggie stated again. “That was… “ Pausing, as he set a hand, pulling himself up the slope, he continued on. “Saying you wanted out of Boston for a few weeks, and in nature to ‘cleanse your mind’ of the terror of a parahuman?”

“It worked, I’m not complaining.” Sarah huffed, as she followed Reggie up the hill. “I had a dream of meeting someone here, and learning more about us, remember?”

“That’s what you said, yes.” Reggie looked around on the ledge he had gotten onto, and nodded once. “But convincing Father that you’d enjoy the Rockies? I still cannot believe that he brought it. We are getting too good at convincing people.”

“Yeah.” Sarah looked up at her brother’s amused face, her dirt-smudged cheeks extracting a chuckle from the young man, who’s hair was clearly dyed. “We’re … here, I *think*.” She looked around and inched towards a cave opening. “Yeah… we are.”

“Good, I don’t think we could have gotten much higher.” Pulling out a flashlight, he lit it, and went in first. Sarah followed.

Shortly the pair were in front of a stone lion like creature, and Sarah tilted her head. “Asian, isn’t it?”

Reggie tilted his head. “I’d say so… but this is odd, something like this would be on the climbing sites.” Sarah paused, having reconnected with her brother, she had found he enjoyed free climbs. Useful, but not her thing until this week.

Before Sarah could say something, a voice responded. “Dragonblood, only those who are allowed to see, see me.” Sarah lept back, while Reggie had assumed a fighting stance. The Lion wasn’t stone anymore, and a portal was open. “Lady Vizier, Dragonblood, I am Silent Fury, a Celestial Lion, guardian of the Gates of Yu-Shan, Heaven’s own city, and you are expected. Lady Jupiter awaits her Chosen.” He nodded at Sarah. “Go though and be escorted to her.”

“... Well. I think we’re about to get some answers.” Reggie said.

“Yeah…” With that Sarah’s face became determined, and she stepped through the Portal, with Reggie shaking his head, and following.

Stoking the Fury

Armsmaster chose to stand at the man’s gesture, though Dragon had sat. He was just here after all to back Dragon up, per her request. The new threat that was crisscrossing the nation had the Guild up in arms, and she was here based on some research, and an offhand comment of his.

Having said the new murderess who the PRT in Chicago called Bloody Owl for the image that appeared in what Myrrdin called her aura, looked a lot like his English professor from BBU, Dragon had investigated deeper, and come to a conclusion. An eighty-six percent match in body structure and facial features evident, plus a targeting criteria that seemed to go along with Professor Hebert’s college radicalism… Well, it was worth investigating, wasn’t it? But she was dead, everyone knew so. More likely a Stranger who did his or her research and chose to ape her.

Studying Danny Hebert, he realized the man hadn’t recovered from his wife’s death. At the funeral, the man had looked broken as if the world had finally destroyed him. But Dragon had assured him the man would recover with his daughter to care for.

“Mr. Hebert.” Armsmaster was startled by Dragon’s voice. “We’re researching some facts based on a new villainess. Anything you can say would help.” She smiled at Danny, who appeared shocked that he could be of help.

The man ran a hand through his thinning hair, and sighed. “I don’t know what help you think I can be, but… I’m willing.”

Dragon nodded. “Have you been approached by anyone trying to get inroads into the Docks?”

Armsmaster snorted.

He was joined by Danny. “Dragon… when I haven’t been? Merchants? Please, they’d love to have the DWA handling their drugs. Empire? Need I even say?” Danny shook his head. “You’d have to be more specific, really.”

“Someone who looked like your wife?” Dragon hinted. “Someone offering to give her back?” Dragon paused, then added. “Someone claiming to be her?”

For a long moment stillness existed, then Danny grew taunt and Armsmaster noted his HUD’s software analysis stating that Mr. Hebert was furious.

“... I cannot say anyone has tried that, no.” The undertone of vicious anger crossed his voice. “Can I ask why you think this is possible?”

Dragon nodded, pulling out a photo. “This is a picture of who we are calling the Bloody Owl.” Sliding over a 8 by 10 photo, that had caught the killer cape face on, with her red eyes showing over her tight fitting balaklava.

Danny half rose, his face going red after studying the picture for a moment. Straightening to his full height, fists balling and slamming to the desk, he shouted. “Are you saying someone stole my wife’s body?” A moment. “A parahuman destroyed the morgue she was in! And now you claim it was to steal her looks? To steal the union for the gangs?”

Two people, one stocky woman, one stocky longshoreman rushed in, with what appeared to be anchoring pins, to Armsmaster’s slight incredulousness. They were backing their leader up.

“Well, if that was the plan…” Dragon nodded at the two wary people, having her hands out. “They’d have moved already.”

THEN WHAT?” The snarled words clearly startled Dragon, and the union man was joined by his fellow union members in glaring at Dragon.

Dragon met the glare. “Has your wife contacted you or your daughter?”

A look that Armsmaster didn’t understand, and his software wouldn’t parse crossed Daniel Hebert’s face, as the two behind him looked at each other.

“Are… are you saying my wife is alive?” A long moment. “Are you saying she abandoned her family, her husband, her DAUGHTER to go around killing people?”

Armsmaster interrupted before Dragon could respond. “Mr. Hebert. I am not. I cannot go into all details, but rest assured, it is no one’s theory in the PRT that Annette Hebert is still alive. Too many witnesses to the car accident, too many doctors confirming her death. Parahuman powers wouldn’t hide that she was still living in that situation.” There. He should have calmed the situation

“Get. Out.” Grinding of teeth. “Get. Out before I kill you both.” Daniel’s words were snarled.

Dragon didn’t say a word as she did so, with Armsmaster nodding and following her. Waiting a moment as they strode away, he finally asked her once clear of the building.

“Dragon.. Professor Hebert still alive? Seriously? There hasn’t been a case of parahuman power…”

A held up hand interrupted him, as Dragon piped in a radio channel. She had left a microphone behind.

“Danny… they’re claiming Annette is still alive?”

“No way. She’d have never left you and Taylor, never.” The female dockworker responded.

Long breaths. “I … can’t quite say that’s true.” Armsmaster’s eyebrow rose behind his visor. “But I can say, she’d have made sure we knew she wasn’t dead, unless she couldn’t.”

Dragon shook her head, before Armsmaster could speak.

“But…” and the man’s voice was tired. “She’s dead, Armsmaster is right. No parahuman power would have waited that long, we’d have heard about it, that?” Snorts responded to the Union man’s statement.

“Then what, if someone’s…”

“Stealing her face? They come here… they come after Taylor… They come after the Union? I’ll break my vow to Annette, because she would have told me to. And they die.

Armsmaster was shocked into silence.

“For the Docks. For Taylor… For Annette. They. Will. Die.”

We’re Still Missing the Heart

Shadowy Wings Of Impending Doom On The Intolerant And Those Who Would Not Listen spun, hair following her giant blade as it sprayed blood across the street from a fallen Teeth, and she shot her Stormsplitter at a fleeing Teeth cape. “Dammit. I really wanted to kill Spree.” She looked down, nodding at the blood splatter on her black clothing and boots, and pulled down her Balaclava, as she picked up a weakly struggling Teeth member and bit down, drinking deeply, then tossing the body aside.

A green bodysuit garbed blonde dropped next to her, as a blue haired man in a classic age of sail pirate outfit walked up, reloading his Stormsplitters. The man shook his head. “Next time, when we’re paid for it, no? And did you have to do that?”

“Hey! I had to regain energy somehow. Eating’s a good way. Anyways, the Butcher ran like a bitch when she found I couldn’t be taken by surprise, and she couldn’t hit me.” Shadowy wings shook her head sadly. “Such a coward. For someone who thinks she’s immortal…”

“Couldn’t be anything to do with your anima, could it?” Lisa snarked. “Naw, being the personification of Death and Destruction and Terror wouldn’t be it…”

The Dusk shrugged. “Eh. Pretty sure all their unpowered members are dead, and we did get three capes. Accord just was paying for them to be hammered, not destroyed. That’d be a major bonus, as you know, Tattletale.”

“It would be nice to kill the Butcher, since the gang would rebuild around her, but Vex and Reaver, plus Animos are an excellent start.” Hostering his two revolvers, the man shrugged.

“Yes. And it’s enough.” Tattletale grinned. “It wasn’t difficult luring them here… and volia!”

The Abyssal glared at the Sidereal. “I’d note that volia was Corsair and I, Tattletale. And you won’t tell us how you lured them here, except that coffee’s good.”

Sarah grinned under her mask. “Secrets~~~ Didn’t your patrons teach you that?”

“Ladies.” Corsair, the blue haired man cut in. “We can play dominance and knowledge games later. I do think we should be away, before those pesky authorities come…” Both women stared at the man. He was getting a kick playing the vicious pirate and highwayman his outfit suggested.

“I’d have to agree.” Shadowy Wings shook her blade, wiping it down with a piece of cloth she had ripped off a body.

“Eh, I actually set this up before we met you, in fact, I used the Teeth as pasties for something before, so…” The Vizier shrugged. “You’d be surprised what a simple cup of coffee at the right time, and right place would do.”

Before either other exalt could respond a *roar* sounded at the mouth of the alley behind them, with a loud thump following.

Corsair spun, stormsplitters appearing in his hands as if magic, pointed down the Alley. “That isn’t good.” he mildly commented.

“You THINK?” The Abyssal had a large soulsteel battle rifle in hand, also pointed down as fast as her male companion, while Tattletale had ducked behind an dumpster, with a Starmetal revolver in hand.

“Bloody Owl, and companions. You are Under Arrest. Resist and suffer, it will not change anything.” A electronic voice rang out, from what was revealed as a robotic Dragon.

“First, call me Bloody Owl again, and I will kill you. I am Shadowy Wings Of Impending Doom On The Intolerant And Those Who Would Not Listen. I paid in my very name, and I continue to pay.” The Dragon seemed to simply stare at the Abyssal, while a facepalm was heard from the hiding blonde. “Second… Bastion tried that. Has he gotten out of the hospital yet? Along with the other three he brought with him?”

“... No.” The Dragon was somewhat hesitating, then seemed to decide. Stepping forward, what action she was going to take, was frozen by Tattletale’s shouted comment to Shadowy Wings.

“I didn’t know bad naming habits was genetic! Skitter sucked at names TOO!” The green clad Exalt said with a bit of nervousness in her voice.

Shadowy Wings noted the sudden freezing of the mecha, she honestly didn’t want to hurt or kill Dragon, she had learned too much about the heroine. “Hey, my name is perfectly fine. So is anything my Daughter used!” The Abyssal shot back, not taking her eyes off the suit.

Corsair simply kept his pistols pointed, eyes narrowed and prepared to shoot at the moment of violence.

For a long moment nothing was said, nothing stirred. Finally, the mecha spoke again. “Truce, for I think we need to talk, Exalts.

“... Endbringer truce, two hours?” Corsair spoke for the women, only to get a glare from his sister, and a snicker escaping from the balaclava

“Agreed.” The Mecha’s head lowered to the ground… and then the upper jaw seemed to lift up, allowing a body to sliter out of the mouth. Pushing up, the female stood after getting out of the mecha. Tattletale’s head tilted as if she was listening, while Annette’s eyes grew redder.

“Tattletale. The A-class villain that the PRT designates as Bloody Owl, who is formerly Annette Hebert now named Shadowy Wings Of Impending Doom On The Intolerant And Those Who Would Not Listen . I don’t know the man.” The brown haired woman tilted her head and seemed to blur for a second. “I am Final Iteration of Compassion, called Dragon, and born Theresa Ada Ricther.” The Starmetal body in front of them drew an eyebrow from the Dusk, and a dropped jaw from the blond.

No way!” Tattletale squeed. “Seriously? You’re Autochthon’s?”

Dragon nodded, a slight smile on her face. “I don’t know how much you got of the … future that cannot be, The Great Maker did not give me much, either… But Skitter is a name I know.”

Sarah stepped out from behind the dumpster she was using to hide herself, and shrugged slightly. “Bits and pieces, comes to me when meditating or dreaming. Lady Jupiter seems to be stingy.”

Final Iteration turned and raised a metal eyebrow at the Abyssal. “Nope, not much here, just dreams, meditative instincts and when I went to the Underworld a brief lesson on how our abilities work, plus, and I quote: “Being Chosen for Dummies, Essence for Dummies, and The Champions, a recognition guide. Plus basic understanding of what essence enhanced items are, magitech, weapons, that jazz.” She shrugged. “Corsair got similar, so did Tattletale, as well.”

The alchemical nodded. “Similar here, then, so only Tattletale and I got hints of a life that is no longer ours?”

“Seems so, I’m afraid.” Corsair shrugged.

“No matter.” The Champion of Autochition pondered for a moment, then nodded. “Shadowy Wings Of Impending Doom On The Intolerant And Those Who Would Not Listen, you are wanted for countless actions of homicide, though to be accurate, careful investigation shows that the vast majority were criminal or should have been, and that a fair bit had started it with you first. You are also wanted for the homicide of two Protectorate heros, though once again…” Dragon shook her head. “And of course, the brutal assault and depowering of at least a half dozen Protectorate heroes.” Shadowy Wings snickered.

“Not the villains I depowered?” Tattletale and Corsair snickered as well.

The Starmetal eyes glared at the three snickering Exalts. “That is on the list, yes. I do not think I really needed to tell you.”

Tattletale had to interjet. “Oh, no, no you didn’t have to say a word..”

“And now that you and who I suspect is a Dragonblood, have been seen with her and participating in the slaughter of those who can’t stand against you…” Dragon’s tone was repressive. “You were always a villain, weren’t you?”

“Corsair, m’lady Alchemical.” Reggie Livsey tilted his hat, snickering. “All good princesses are villainous in their own way.”

“... Cute.” Dragon shook her head. “Unimportant at this point, just giving you fair warning. They are one step away from a kill order on you, Shadowy Wings Of Impending Doom On The Intolerant And Those Who Would Not Listen, and I’m not sure tonight won’t be that. If you showed up at …”

“Endbringer fights?” The Abyssal snarked. “I have considered it, to be honest, it would be a … challenge.. And they’re a threat to my family.” She paused. “I’m not sure I’m ready yet, and I know Corsair and Tattletale aren’t, '' the warrior looked at the two named and shook her head. “And again, I was under orders to avoid that til the time was right…”

“Who can give an Exalt orders?” Dragon wondered. Once Autochition had finished with her, it became clear that was the last time anyone would be able to do things she couldn’t resist without trying to her. Exalted meant choice.

Shadowy Wings grew pensive. “More a “If you do, this happens.” I didn’t like the ‘this.’”

Tattletale nodded. “Nor did I when I heard it. I might not know Skitter yet, not outside my dreams, but I can tell you…”

“... Agreed.” The Canadian Exalt looked over the three others. “And how much longer will that ‘this’ be a problem?”

Sarah Livsey shook her head. “Actually, from what …” The grin was obvious as Tattletale continued “Shadowy Wings Of Impending Doom On The Intolerant And Those Who Would Not Listen” After taking a breath from the naming of the Dusk Caste, she continued. “Really, we need a shorter name for you… Anyways, as..” she waved at the Abyssal “she said, ``I think it’s either over, or just about.””

“Just about, if I understood the timing right.” Corsair nodded.

“Good. As much as I rather kill you, Dusk Caste, Logic indicates that you are needed to kill the false Primordials. If you fight an Endbringer, the kill orders won’t go out. But do stop killing heros. That will make it easier to keep you off the ‘kill at any cost’ list.”

“And if their crimes deserve death?” The eyebrow raised over the mask demanded an answer.

“Sacrifices for the whole have to be made, and justice can only be delayed. Once we can, justice will be served. For mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.”

“... I can try, but no promises. Now…” The former Annette Hebert looked at the Champion. “As you have been told, I can go home to my family now. I am. Stand in my way…”

“That wouldn’t be a logical decision, no, but be aware, Daniel Hebert is aware that your face and body are out and about, I do not believe at this time he thinks you are alive. He believes you are a Stranger.” Dragon seemed a bit sheepish at that.

“... You questioned him after I became active, didn’t you?” A nod answered the Deathknight. That got a string of curses.

“I was more concerned for them. Black Exaltations twist their bearers, don’t they?” Dragon’s eyebrow rose in response.

“All Exaltations do. All powers do.” The Deathknight sighed. “It’s just how. And which way power corrupts. That I learned even before exalting.”

“A good lesson. Remember it, and perhaps we won’t be in conflict. The host has to come together.”

2. Extras: Colin's Tale
    MageOhki

When the best plans of mice and men…

Rebecca Costa-Brown rubbed her forehead as she looked around the table. “I approved Calvert’s plan.” She paused. “I overruled Piggot, who wanted, with what I agreed with, what was good reasons to negotiate, or at least talk first.” She looked around again, eyes hard. “On Contessa and your advice, Numberman.

Kurt winced. The video had proved illuminating, but the PRT’s reputation had taken a blow that would take careful handling to recover from. Now they had to hope Piggot could negotiate the recovery of people. “The numbers suggested Calvert’s plan would work, and we could then get answers from Shadowy Wings of Impending Doom” He looked at Contessa who looked pained. “The path said it would…”

“It didn’t.” Legend was cold. “And now Contessa has a thinker headache, Calvart, who you stated Piggot had to accept, Rebecca, is useless…” He smiled briefly. “To my great joy.”

Doctor Mother looked around before anyone could respond. “We did learn something. They are modelable, to a point, and they, at least this Mr. Hebert and Tattletale can kill agents, though their humans. That is very useful to know.”

Rebecca nodded. “Now we have to negotiate with them. And bluntly, I don’t know what they want, Contessa doesn’t, Kurt?”

He snorted. “That is easy. Daniel Hebert wants the docks prosperous. His resurrected wife? She wants her family. His daughter? Not sure, but she’s a child. She’s not a major factor.”

Legend raised an eyebrow. “Not a major factor? She broke Calvert and Contessa, and sent four full squads of field agents into flight, and ambush, Kurt.”

Kurt shook his head. “Not a major factor in the sense that what she wants or will be doing is critical, my numbers indicate while she’s angry, very angry at her parents, she’s not going to run away or outright disobey them.”

Legend looked at Kurt, then nodded. “You’re saying if we give Hebert what he wants, he’s controllable?”

Rebecca raised an eyebrow at that. “... what are you on, Kurt?” She shook her head. “This is Daniel Hebert. We warned Calvert about him, that while he’s now a nice man… he wasn’t always. Only one person could control him. And…”

“His wife’s freedom on condition of good behavior… His and hers?” Kurt was cold. “We have her dead to right on several counts of murder of law enforcement personnel. While it’s never been used on a parahuman, those are capital crimes.”

Legend looked at both, sighed. “And in a fair court, with a good lawyer, you’d be dammed lucky if you get the death sentence… but I see what you’re saying. Birdcage is an option.”

Kurt nodded, to Rebecca’s scowl. “That’s the point, Paul.”

Rebecca stood up and paced, clearly thinking. She stopped and looked at them. “I don’t like this. I really don’t. We have problems pathing them indirectly, they break thinker powers, and now we know it’s highly likely they can kill powers.

Surprisingly it was Doctor Mother who spoke. “A question you should ask. If they can kill powers, though the parahuman… what else can they kill?”

Legend blinked. “That’s why David’s not here.” Kurt nodded at that. “He’s been convinced that he is the silver bullet to kill Scion.”

“Yes.” Doctor Mother nodded. “Even if they can’t directly kill Scion, we can point them at more dangerous parahumans and it’s quite possible they can kill Endbringers.”

Rebecca leaned forward and placed her hands on the table. “I’ll handle the negotiations, then. If they can, I want proof. If any of them can kill even one Endbringer…”

“It’s worth whatever we can give them… because, Rebecca? Paul? Shadowy Wings has only grown in power and ability. Beyond what the numbers say a parahuman power can do.”

Paul’s head whipped to Kurt’s, eyes meeting. “What are you saying?”

Doctor Mother responded for him a smile revealing her white teeth. “That they aren’t powered by agents. That Kurt and I are in agreement about.”

Kurt nodded. “And… even if they can’t kill an Endbringer or Scion now…”

Rebecca smiled. “What will they be able to do… in the future.” Kurt and Doctor Mother nodded. “They just might be our silver bullets.”

Legend snorted as Rebecca gathered her briefcase from the broken end of the table she was at. “Black, Gold, green as well. I pray to God you are right and they can… and now I know why you didn’t want David here. He’d have disagreed with you, pointing at himself.”

Kurt nodded as Rebecca shook her head. “Correct. Good luck, Rebecca.”

“If the bullet hits, I don’t care what color it is. And… I agree, we may have gotten lucky.” Rebecca snorted. “Door me.”

Succeed

Freedom to choose

Emily Piggot looked over her desk at Colin Wallis, standing at parade rest in front of her desk, instead of sitting down in the two chairs flanking him, who for the first time in her memory had no bags under his eyes, and was… dare she say, relaxed? She stuffed down a thought to throw him into M/S screening… again.

Armsmaster shifted from parade rest to a loose standing position, removing his helmet and ran his hand through his hair, settling it in place. “Director. You wanted me to report on my tinker tech and my ability to understand it. I am ready to do so.”

“Yes. I did.” Emily Piggot clasped her hands, and realized at this moment, that while he seemed more relaxed and calm, he still was… efficient.

“I do not have any ability to maintain what I have built, nor understand it. Even when I started taking Dragon’s advice and getting eight hours of sleep… the technology, even with my engineering background, is beyond me.” He seemed sad about this, but resigned, though strangely not angry.

“... You seem to be less upset about that than I thought you would be, Armsmaster.” Piggot looked the hero in the eye. “I’m sorry, but I have to admit, in your shoes, I would be …” The obese woman sighed. “Insanely upset.”

Armsmaster smiled slightly. “First, I don’t feel a need to prove myself anymore. I’ve also been looking back at my actions and dislikes and hates, and …” He paused, apparently searching for a word, then nodding. “Realized they were by and large, unimportant. Pure glory seeking or hatred and animosity towards those who would deny me that.”

Emily stared. Parahumans were never that observant of themselves. Far too many of them were almost driven to fight. She made a mental note to see if Jessica Yamanda saw similar traits in Aegis and Vista, though they differed. “I… see. Well…”

“We are also going to discuss my future with the government, are we not?” Colin interrupted. “As I am no longer a parahuman…”

Emily nodded. “You can’t remain in the Protectorate. One idea floated is that you be retired on full disability…” She stopped noting Colin’s grimace.

“I … dislike that.” He paused and nodded at her, taking a seat. “While I am no longer a parahuman, I still have an engineering degree, and I actually retain that understanding quite well. If nothing else, I can transfer to the PRT, and at least evaluate tinker tech. Or perhaps work with Dragon as liaison, to help increase her understanding…”

Emily blinked. She paused, thinking for a moment, then nodded. “I suspect many would approve of that attitude… but…” She searched for a way to say what she wanted, then sighed. Both of them were too alike. Blunt truth it was. “Too many parahumans, you included until now, defined themselves by their power. While I am glad you are moving beyond… I have to ask… how?”

Colin looked her in the eyes, serious, intense, and serene in a way she had never seen. “As I’ve said, I’m no longer driven to seek glory. To spend every moment possible and resent when I can’t, improving what we called technology. I think these last few days are the first I’ve slept eight hours a night, since I triggered.” He stood up and walked to her window, looking out, but not seeing.

“I am trying to figure out where the young man who just wanted to understand why things were inefficient and improve on them, as well as the same young man who believed he could change the world for the better… went. I’ve spent time asking myself, what have I done for the world?”

“You fought villains and Endbringers…” Emily began, only to have Colin cut her off.

“Important, yes, I agree… but where is the person who wanted to reduce the time people needed to do things. Where is the person who wanted people to spend less on items, improve their quality of life, fix the world, expand knowledge and build things for everyone?” He turned and looked her in the eye. “I don’t know where he went.

Emily was shocked. She looked at him, and finally said. “I think… I do.”

Colin raised an eyebrow. “I would like to know.”

“He’s returned, and is in front of me.” She smiled. “There are several theories on what powers do to their users…”

“I know those… and yes, I agree, they may be right… but I will not let that be the only excuse. I failed myself.” He walked around the desk and stopped at the door. “I don’t want to take up more of your time, so, I will state I’ll accept a transfer to the PRT, preferably the evaluation or technology sections, or failing those, perhaps liaison duties with Dragon?”

Emily nodded, noting some things apparently weren’t power related. “I’m going to put in a request that the Brockton Bay Circle depower and deliver us some parahumans, for further study.” She tilted her head. “As for your request, Colin… I personally will put it in front of Narwhal and the Chief Director. Another possibility is perhaps they can teach you how to use Supernatural martial arts, as they called it?”

Colin shook his head. “When Tattletale demonstrated it, I actually understood what it was, at least in basic.” Emily’s eyebrows rose at that.

Really.

“Yes, really.” Colin grinned. “Before I joined the Protectorate, Director, I was as you know a college student, and like many… I occasionally goofed off. My personal choice was old Japanese and Chinese movies and anime involving martial arts. While I knew a fair bit were, well..”

“Silly?” Emily smiled. “I actually miss Kaiju movies…”

A snicker escaped the man. “Indeed. But… a fair bit were based on myths and legends. What if what they call Essence, which is needed to use those arts, is what the Asian cultures call ki, chi, or what have you?”

“... and if you aren’t given your choices, you intend to investigate that.” Emily finally summed up.

“I doubt that any of the duties the PRT would assign me initially would not leave me with some free time, and well… I like to be busy doing something.

“I … see.” She sighed. “I have to ask you to pack up all your tinker tech and safely disassemble your lab, if you can. You will be put on medical leave for a period, while the Directors argue specifically what to do. Aegis and Vista at least have new powers, though I’m not sure Vista will stay.”

Armsmaster, no Colin Wallis, nodded. “I understand. It helps that I do have way too much sick time built up. I have asked Dragon to assist me with that, as well as a few other things. One of the things I do intend to do on my time off is look into what Tattletale claims…” Emily snickered.

“I have to ask, is it as strange to you as it is to me, hearing you actually talk about plans for time off?” Emily leaned back with a slight smile.

Again, Colin smiled. “Yes, but actually something I wondered when I stopped thinking about myself. I enjoyed my summer vacations when I was in school…” He paused and shrugged. “I will talk to the Circle and learn more about this… Essence. With your permission?”

“Granted.”

Colin looked at his workshop, shaking his head. He was wearing a headband that Dragon had sent, that had a camera, and a headset attached. “Dragon. Why did I do this?”

“Do what?” came from the headset. “Use every cubic inch of space as efficiently as possible?”

“Yes. I knew better. You need room to stretch out. You need room to personalize. It’s almost like…” Colin spread his hands.

A soft response was his answer “Your powers made you forget that?”

“Yes. It’s like I made a devil’s deal.” Colin shook his head. “And well, Hebert gave me my soul back, now.”

“I would have thought you’d be more angry.” Dragon responded. “This is very pleasant to hear, Colin.”

“Theresa, I couldn’t even appreciate you giving me your name.” A soft growl conveyed Colin;s response. “I couldn’t appreciate that trust. I just thought it was efficient. What is wrong with our powers?”

“I’m afraid I’m unable to answer you at this time, Colin.” Colin’s eyes narrowed at her soft response.

“That… you know something.” It wasn’t accusatory. It was a simple statement of fact.

“I do. But… I should not tell you. Not here, not now.” His friend, and now with his improved clarity, someone he wanted more than just friendship from sounded resigned.

Colin paused, fingering his beard for a moment. “I… See. I’ll have to go to Vancouver, I assume?”

“That would be a start.” Dragon paused for a second. “I’m … detecting something… No, just a ghost.”

Colin snorted. “I’d have said ghosts don’t exist. I’d have also said that being able to send a wave of force from your blade without tinkertech was also not possible. Shows what I knew, I suppose.”

Dragon laughed. “Why am I getting the sense you’re more philosophical now?”

“Eh… maybe. Or maybe I want to learn more. We both know the world’s dying. I don’t like that. Even without powers, I can fix it. Maybe not alone, maybe only being a bit of help to those who will fix the world… but I can still do that.” He paused, then thought about it. “Question. We could do this tomorrow, will you be …”

“Of course, Colin, it would actually be better that way, I can dedicate my time to it. This isn’t going to be an hour-long project after all.” Colin snorted. “But if that, I …”

Colin laughed softly. “There’s always something you want to be doing. I envied you for that. Now? What did it cost you?”

A long pause. “... Something we’ll talk about in Vancouver, I think. But…”

“Not a problem, talk to you in the morning.” Colin nodded, knowing she had hacked his cameras.

“Tomorrow, Colin.” The line closed with a solid click, and he took the headset off. For a moment he thought to message Challenger who had taken over ENE while he was… being evaluated, but decided against it, instead he sat on his stool and looked at his cluttered workbench.

“Fuck it.” Colin Wallis shook his head, rueful. “This can wait, instead I’m going to have a beer.” He stood up and walked out, smiling slightly. As he made his way to his car, he was lost in thought, not noting the reactions of the various people who he crossed paths with.

It was a good thing Emily had squashed all attempts to put him in Master/Stranger containment for a naturally smiling Armsmaster caused everyone who saw it… distress and disbelief.

Colin sat the six pack of bottles down on a stand next to his living room chair. Joining it was a bag from a Chinese place along his way home. Having walked through the house, he sat down in the chair.

“... This isn’t even a hotel suite. Did I really spend that much time on the Rig?” Colin wondered. He paused for a second, and nodded once. “Okay. After work tomorrow, I’m going to find a therapist.” He paused, then facepalmed. “... And to think I complained about how inefficient therapy was.”

He opened a beer and sipped at it. Raising an eyebrow, he savored the bitter taste.
    “Hello Colin…” The Alien voice emanated from behind him, inside his house.
    It isn’t power, it’s who’s offering.

Colin Wallis, the former Armsmaster, spun, searching for the voice that just spoke. “Show yourself!”

“Are you sure?” the disembodied voice spoke dispassionately. “Some would be disturbed by what I am. I do not know why.”

The former hero seemed to zero in on the voice, or so he thought. “I am not some.

“As you will.” Before his eyes, a shimmer appeared, slowly revealing a collection of countless shards of shattered crystal all lit from within with a pure white fire, rotating in a pattern that made a humanoid body around a single perfect sphere lit with the same fire the shards of crystal had.

“What are you?” Colin didn’t cast around for a weapon, but he remembered carefully where he had hidden a few in his house. “I’m afraid I’ve never seen, nor heard of any parahuman like you. A new Case 53?”

The being appeared to look at him, and spoke. “I am no parahuman, Colin Wallis, formerly called Armsmaster. I bear an offer from my superiors.”

“Then what are you?” Colin’s eyes narrowed. “And what offer?”

The orbs seemed to rotate a bit faster, as the being spoke. “The world is broken. The worlds are broken. You know this. My superiors know this. They are now called Yozi, but once were called Primordials. They have Chosen you to receive their blessing to fix this world.”

Colin blinked. Either this … being was crazy, or Tattletale was right. “I… see. And what would this blessing be?” He asked as he began to edge towards where he had hidden a bastard sword. “And what would be required of me from these… Yozi?”

“Excellent and logical questions.” The being’s flames seemed to pulse. “The blessing is called Exaltation, which you have seen in action. What would be expected, is of course, destroying the sickness and disrespect mortals have towards the true creators, and the false worship they have towards these… parahumans.” Colin detected in it’s words, for the first time, an emotion. Distaste but for a moment. “Which of course would mean restoring the proper order of Creation. Modified from the original design, admittedly, but the new order is more logical and superior. It is the only logical and efficient way to fix the Greater Creation, after all.”

Colin tried to figure out what this being was, as he didn’t give much credence to Tattletale’s files. But… she did have a page on demons. “... Are you a demon?”

“That is what mortals of the previous ages have called me. It is also what the victors of the Primordial War call me.” A sense of a shrug. “I am actually the 1st circle progeny of Zarrilta, who is the progeny of Sagarduia, who is one of the souls of She Who Lives in Her name. One of the true creators, the one who established order and efficient rule for all of Creation. My sisters and I are called Natharizai.”

Colin was quiet for a long moment. “I see.”

“It is only logical. Your choice, mortal? For I see no efficiency in waiting longer. The world requires logic and efficiency.” The coldly logical tones made it clear he could not stall for very much longer.

“I … admit. The powers that were shown to me by the other Exalted are tempting. Only an illogical fool would deny such.” No harm in playing along with this being’s delusions. He had reached where his sword was hidden. “But I must decline. For you see, I realize I was tethered to a being that gave me no choice and promised what you claim to offer… but never delivered in truth. I will fix this world… but by my choice, my way, and beholden to none.” His hand darted to the hilt of the sword. “Now, I must ask you to leave.” Drawing the sword from where it was hidden, he flicked a switch and it began to vibrate.

The being tilted it’s head to the side. “That is Unfortunate. The mistress identified you as the best possible candidate as a Defiler. You do not have the power to fix what is broken. You do not have the capability to do so. You will accept this offer once I prove it to you.”

“I disagree.” Snarling, Colin shot forward, sword held flat and straight, heading for the heart.

To his shock, he plunged through the being, without apparently leaving a scratch, and taking slight burns along his clothing. Spinning around he stared at the being.

“How illogical. You presume you can refuse the offer of the creators. Allow me to correct your faulty logic.” With that, a shard shot out the cold flames that were inside it in a tight beam, and Colin desperately twisted to minimize his profile and block the flames, which spread around him in the process of destroying his sword, and the remains splashed against the wall, eating at it.

Colin dropped the remains of his blade, and grabbed at where a hidden halberd was, snapping it out, thrusting forward, hoping the materials in it would harm the spirit, along with it’s electrical arcs. “I think you have faulty logic!”

A shock went through his arms as he connected with one of the crystal shards, shattering it, but the flames rushed down, burning at his fingers, but the material held up to the abuse.

“Impressive, your reputation for quality construction, even under the false progeny, is true. You would have served well.” The being threw its arm forward, and one of the countless crystal shards making up the creature’s body dissolved, becoming sand that flowed at him, and he threw himself under the flow, as it impacted another part of the wall.

Colin began to sweat. This being was… relentless. While in size, this wasn’t an endbringer, even his best attack appeared to do more damage to himself, than it did to the creature made of shards. “I made that mistake once. I served something I didn’t know.” Panting as his eyes swept the form, calculating, looking, regaining his strength, “I will never serve again.

“Incorrect.” The being darted forward, clearly trying to grapple, no, engulf him, with the central orb seeming to head for his head, and only his desperate leap over the being saved him. Landing and turning it into a roll, he landed in a crouch, prepared to lunge A wild thought crossed his mind, filling him with hope. That orb that had headed towards his head was the brightest. Maybe that was it’s weak spot?

“Not today..” Colin, from his crotch, sprang forward, his halberd knocking the first, the second and then a third shard aside as the being once again tried to place all it’s orbs around him, and struck true on the target he wanted.

For a long moment nothing happened, as electricity and steel clashed with cold fire… until his halberd punched through the orb, shattering it into countless pieces… which joined the rest of the orbs in disappearing. Colin stared still outstretched, as he dared not breathe… until he took a deep breath… and the world turned golden.

It’s a Rush and Too Much

Colin’s deep breath was exhaled through the golden light surrounding him. Looking around, he noted that the light seemed to be coming from him, his mind clear and in overdrive. He also noted that the light was shining out the windows as well as the gaping holes in the wall.

“Well. Shit.” Running his hand through his hair, he came to one conclusion. He would find his answers at the Docks. Putting thoughts to action, he moved decisively for his garage and home workshop where he had stored a Harley that he had personally checked over two weeks ago.

Shortly, he was getting on his motorcycle, as the garage door opened, with a firm kick, the bike started with a fierce roar. Putting on his helmet, and settling into the saddle, he began to push out of the garage. Before he could get more than a few feet, he had to slam the brakes, due to the sudden appearance of a mecha.

As the woman got out of her mecha, Colin sighed, and facepalmed. “Dragon… why?”

He simply waited, watching the armored bodysuit clad woman as she walked up to him. Finally, he thought she was close enough to hear. “Why did you come?”

The brown haired woman shook her head. “Colin… your anima banner is visible from orbit.

“... what?” Colin paused and tried to process that. “Wait… how do you know what it is called? I know for a fact that the information Tattletale handed over is not on any network.” He tilted his head, leaning back slightly, evaluating, and something golden flickered in his eyes. “What are you?” He had gotten off his motorcycle, and grabbed his halberd that he had brought with him. “Why are you glowing inside in various colors?” The man studied the woman more, eyes narrowing. “Why does it look like circuits?” Eyes widening, he added an accusation. “Why are you disguised? WHO ARE YOU?” He pointed his weapon at her.

Dragon facepalmed. “Of course you’d be a Twilight. OF course you’d get the Solar Essence sight ability instantly. Great Maker, why did I expect anything different?”

Armsmaster’s eyes narrowed. “Who are you? You are not Dragon, Stranger.

“I am Theresa, Colin.” Dragon responded, irritation in her voice. “I can prove it to you, shall we discuss your first attempt at a date?” Her eyebrow arched.

“A Stranger could have gotten that information.” Colin Wallis asserted. “Try again.” He studied her as he positioned himself to strike, his polearm held perpendicular to his body still threatening Dragon, as he paced around her.

“... Alpha Romeo Seven Bravo Zero Five Zulu Sierra.” Dragon recited the master/stranger code for the day that Piggot had personally told Colin, with the note it wasn’t on any computer.

“... Explain.” Colin lowered his blade by a bit, letting Dragon though. “And it better be good.”

Dragon looked at the garage door, and the man rolled his eyes, but walked over and pushed the button, closing the garage door.

“Thank you.” Dragon had waited til the door closed. “Colin. You know until about… a year ago, I never left Vancouver outside remote piloted craft?”

Colin put aside his halberd and leaned up against a workbench, and nodded. “Yes, I was quite pleased.”

“I was as well, Colin.” Theresa smiled at that, then sobered up a bit, to answer Armsmaster’s question. “What I was? Artificial Sapience.” Colin just froze at that statement. For a long moment Dragon worried she broke the Twilight.

“I… see. And yes, it makes sense, including the Dragonslayers ranting recently… They had a backdoor, didn’t they?” Dragon nodded. “... and they lost that backdoor a year ago?”

Theresa hummed, then sighed. “Not… quite. What happened was the Great Maker examined me, and was impressed by my father. Or creator, whichever you prefer. I was the first information based sapient in his incalculable lifespan that had a soul.”

Colin snorted at that. “I could have told him that, even then I thought you had more of a soul than all of us put together. Your father did well.”

“... Thank you Colin.” Theresa for a moment choked up. “But, like others, he had Champions, Exalted, as you read, called Alchemicals.” She paused for a second, thinking. “I don’t know what was in Tattletale’s little brief, but he determined that I would be his first new champion, and first here.”

Colin for a long moment said nothing, then nodded. “And who is the Great Maker?”

“... That would take a lifetime to learn. The very concept of what the Primordial, Autochthon is, begins at the very concept of building a better lightbulb some would say. He is the personification of innovation, tool use, builders and more.” Dragon shook her head. “Explaining what Autochthon is, and is capable of, hits broad conceptual strokes that even I cannot model or articulate. But in short, as it was explained to me, he is the Principal of Innovation and Creation. ”

The man thought for a moment and shrugged. “I see. And you’ve been an Alchemical for over a year?” A thought struck Colin, and he added. “I have to ask, what does he look like?”

Theresa sighed. “Yes, Colin.” The Alchemical shifted a bit, finally slumping a bit as she continued. “And… um, well… Remember Star Wars?” She received a nod and an eyebrow. “Well, the closest approximation in both looks and scale? … The First Death Star.”

Colin was struck silent for a moment. Finally he spoke. “Oh… god, he’s the ultimate tinker, isn’t he?”

“Yes.”

“... If I wasn’t about to drive, I’d go have that six pack I brought home.” Colin finally said.

Dragon shook her head amused. “On a conceptual level… yes. In so many ways.” Dragon paused. “When I think about it, I’m tempted to steal Narwhal’s Blue Label.”

“She has good taste.” Colin stroked his beard. “Why do I feel that you’re telling the truth, completely? Who, no what attacked me, and what was it really offering? Why do I have a feel that I should go talk to the Exalted at the Docks?”

Theresa blinked. “The first I can’t answer specifically, but to my knowledge most Exalted types have a technique to determine the truth of a statement. Perhaps you figured it out during exaltation. That is what Exalted do, well, all but Alchemicals, we gain our techniques or charms differently. Other exalted just learn them.” She paused for a moment, then continued on. “As for the third. They feel familiar, far more than they should, right?”

The Twilight nodded and sighed. “As if they were… I don’t know how to put it.”

“Long lost family?” Theresa suggested. Receiving a thoughtful look in return, she continued. “Exalted are meant to work in Circles, Assemblies, Brotherhoods, several terms, some specific to the type of exalt, some generic. Since the Exaltations are not new, it’s very likely that the Solar Exaltations released, along with Shadowy Wing’s Exaltation bearer were circlemates before, and that’s what you are feeling.”

Colin narrowed his eyes slightly. “To make it easier to work together… Exaltations go to a new host after death?”

Dragon nodded. “Correct.” She thought about it. “And as for who attacked you, I would need more information.”

Colin succinctly summarized what had happened, the appearance of the demon, and it’s offer. “And so, after I hit it’s main orb, I lit up and started to glow like the setting sun.” His face twisted in a bit of irritation. “I didn’t want it’s devil deal, now I have it.”

“Because that is what you are. Twilight Caste Solar. And no, you did not take a Devil’s deal, nor take any power it had. It was what it told you, and it was obeying it’s master’s orders… to give you their power, an Infernal Exaltation, which would be different from the Solar only in the manner their power manifests. Infernals are the fallen Primordials’ vengeance upon the world. They’re the wrecking ball sent to break everyone else’s toys, as it were, by a spiteful prisoner.”

The man picked up a multitool and began to play with it as he thought that over. “And who gave me this… Solar Exaltation?”

“No one. While Autochthon designed the Exaltations and Sol Invictus empowered the Solars, they set them loose with ‘this is who to pick’. By refusing and rising beyond that demon’s offer, you proved worthy of being the Most High’s Chosen. At least that is the theory. No one is quite sure what the mechanism is for choosing an Exalted host, at least no one who is willing to talk. The Incarane, Gaia, and the Great Maker are completely quiet on this.”

“... How do I get rid of it? I did not ask, did not want, and would have refused.” Colin finally responded.

“You don’t. It’s yours until you die.” Theresa was repressive. “As I learned, as Tattletale knows, as the others are learning, the one thing, the absolute one thing we have, as Exalted? Is Choice. We are the ones who can and do tell Fate to go… fuck itself. We choose our paths.”

Colin thought about it for a moment, then tossed the tool on the bench. “This is too much to process.” He turns and heads for the door into the house. “You coming? I think I do have a bottle of rum here…”

Dragon smiled.

End Side Story.

Next part will be at the Docks.

3. Extras: Laws and Parahumans
    MageOhki

Because I've been thinking this (and my editor hasn't gotten back to me): You get this

Several of the issues that I've seen in Wildbow's setting, will have to be determined for this story, because Canon (Worm, and supplemental material such as PRT Quest and Word of Wildbow, as I see fit, with Worm itself being the final say) is either silent, or contradictory.

1: What is a parahuman under law?
    Explicit definitions of such, are required as a matter of course, only reinforced by recent decisions, the old "I know it when I see it." definitions occasionally used in US law are dead letter.
    While I could have gone for other definitions, I went with a definition that A: fit what the PRT (and Caldron in the back) knew, B: gave the courts an easy test, and C: avoided long battles over "what is a superhuman ability" (or "what is physics?")
    Ergo: Parahumans, under law, are those who fit either of these two categories: Having an active, clear Corona (Gemma), or being clearly inhuman if an Corona cannot be scanned for, clearly inhuman nature, ie, Weld of the Boston Wards. This neatly takes out having to test every single Bolt, Nadia, Newton, Dirac, et al, who do what people at the time considered impossible.
    (Yes, those of you who read CmpWiz or Mppi's works will get where this one is from...)

However, for what is called immediate jurisdiction purposes, the burden of proving you're not a parahuman, and subject to the PRT's jurisdiction or parahuman laws, is on you, unless for criminal actions.

(Why yes, once the Exalted get tested, they're free and clear. Except Dragon. Though don't be surprised, mind you, if people try to change the law...)

2: What is NEAPA-5?
    This is a headache. In Canon, by writing, we have Amy saying she can't get paid til 16 for healing, we have Parian actually doing work using her powers. Then we have Uppercrust getting nuked by the bill.

NEAPA-5 to pass muster has to be fairly narrowly tailored, and likely is (and for this story, is) this: "If an item cannot be reproduced by someone who is not the inventor or creator, it cannot be patented. If it cannot be patented, it cannot be commercially sold, or services or products rendered from it cannot be commercially sold. Nor may it be purchased for any critical purpose or used as such without explicit permission from the governing agency of such material, after solid testing to be sure it is at least reasonably safe for the public." This neatly nails most Tinkers, but doesn't touch upon services.

Oddly enough, this is a net neutral to Exalted. Yes, they can push the edges of technology/etal far faster, but a lot of monotonic technology, even if they awaken Mortals to essence, cannot be duplicated by non exalted. To be fair... heavy artifacts are a long ways away.

However: Supertech, aka Tinker Tech... well, Holistic Miracle Understanding for Solars, and the Autobot equiv, well. Well. Well.

4. Extras: Preliminary PHO interlude and request!
    MageOhki

AN: Working on a PHO interlude/side story.
    More PHO posts more than welcome. Some posts will be edited to fit the overall story flow, Dates and like will be changed to fit the thread/posts. Suggestions more than welcome

Also: These aren’t finished, nor are they in order, this is still rough and waiting to be filled out with more. Shooting for around 3-5k words, min for this one.

Welcome to the Parahumans Online Message Boards

You are currently logged in, GloriousLittleOwl (Verified Solar) (Verified Zenith) (Dock Circle)
    You are viewing:
    • Threads you have replied to
    • AND Threads that have new replies
    • OR private message conversations with new replies
    • Thread OP is displayed
    • Ten posts per page
    • Last ten messages in private message history
    • Threads and private messages are ordered by user custom preference.

■​

♦Topic: The Dock Circle
    In: Boards ► Places ► America ► Brockton Bay ► Capes

Bagrat (Original Poster) (The Guy In The Know) (Veteran Member)
    Posted on August 19, 2009:

The new cape, though they deny this group in the Bay. In short, you've all seen the threads on various events at the docks, and now here's the information on the people who did it.
    These are the separate threads that involve them.
    Strange event at a camp [link]
    PRT vs the Exalted at the Docks 1: [link]
    Mall Fight: [link]
    (Update): Nazis at the Docks [link]

Several Members of the Dock Circle are open, but they've insisted any minor's civilian name not be said. Links to individual threads

Dockmaster [link], DWA link[link], Danny Hebert, more or less the head of the Dockworkers
    Powers seem to be, though I'm told that this is a very limited view, changer into various half man, half orca form, that can grow up to 24 feet tall. Yes, 24 feet. Brute is obvious, the silver aura that appears sometimes is also obvious, seems to be a shaker effect, and ability proven to, and no, I am not making this up, destroy powers (Which I did not know was possible), therefore Trump.

Shadowy Wings of Impending Doom of Intolerance and to Those Who Will Not Listen, previously called BloodyOwl by the PRT [link], former name (and they're insistent on this, do not use this name) Annette Hebert. Black aura of fear and death, giant ass car door of a sword, seems to have other powers, and has stated she can destroy powers, so Trump, clear Brute, clear Thinker, combat.

Zoe Barnes, no cape name yet [link], shaker, brute, possible trump.

Corsair [link], Water aura, Brute, combat thinker, another likely Trump (see a theme here?)
    Believed (and confirmed by him) to be the older brother of Tattletale.

Tattletale[link]: Green aura, Mover via teleportation we think, though she denies it, brute, combat thinker, yet another likely Trump.

Several more without cape names or permission to name them, but all share similar effects, and all are likely trumps.

They've stated formally they have no interest in what we would call the game of heros and villians, and that if they are left alone, they'll leave others alone.

Yes, at least one is considered a villian (though given her comments on her own threads, there's fair questions if she was one, or just a violent vigilante), and they stomped the PRT cold, removing Armsmaster's powers, and revealing that former PRT agent and current counslant Calvert was also a parahuman, and likely Coil.

This is the thread to discuss the Circle, not individuals

Update: Yes, we know they tore apart the Nazis. And killed a lot of them. The DA has stated no charges will be filed, and it’d not surprise me if he’s toasting them right now. I know a lot of cops are.

Mod Update 2: Any use of the minors or those who don’t want their civilian name public, civilian names, will result in a threadban, and if not your first offense, a site ban.

(Showing Page 1 of 1)

► Reave (Verified PRT Agent)
    Replied on August 19, 2009:
    Bagrat graciously allowed me to post the first post on this thread to recap several official positions.

Yes, several PRT agents were killed. Yes, Armsmaster is depowered. Yes, the person that we initially called BloodyOwl is wanted for questioning regarding certain events, same with Tattletale and Corsair. Yes, Vista went with them, but it wasn't a master situation, more that she wanted to learn more about her new powers, and yes, she and Aegis got new powers, replacing their old ones.

However, given that the PRT commander on the site, a Commander Calvert, revealed to be a parahuman, gave orders disregarding proper procedures, and several agents (understandably in my view) disobeyed standing orders and put children who were not attacking them at risk, the PRT's official position is since the Dock Circle is cooperating in several respects, it is in no one's interest to create legal issues.

► CynicalMan

First actual!

Uh-huh, about the creating legal issues. You all just don't' want to admit you're not sure you can take them, much less you tried to kill children when you didn't know they were brutes. Pretty sure that there were deals cut, as in you don’t get sued to oblivion, and they don’t have to fork out money for lawyers crushing your silly charges.

► FrozenMarineIT
    (Marine) (IT Geek)
    Hey, do they have any knowledge or relation to the shit in Canada yesterday? [link]

I found a video feed of a chicka, rather undefined, surrounded by ribbons of crimson wind with explosions of emerald flame. Can’t identify as she’s almost stepping between the video frames she moves so damn fast. Tied to a multiple homicide, local, thirty dead, kids were saved by a goldenrod that matches some of the Brockton Bay shit at the docks. I’ve seen some cape fights but that shit was surreal, uploading the feed now. How the hell that dude is still alive after she rolled on him I will never know.

Not uploading the second half of the video. No one needs to see someone literally get wind-flayed. I’m not going to be able to eat bacon for the next year.

Update 1: Heartbreaker confirmed killed. I repeat. Heartbreaker confirmed killed. Knife through each temple, bitch looks like he has handlebars.

Update 2: Windy mcWindWind is not a hero type. ID confirmed. Speed mover, math clocks in at… 100mph run speeds. Killed her own mother and siblings at the compound AFTER Heartbreaker was neutralized. Jesus this chicka is crazy. The Guild reports forty, repeat FORTY people killed with a single knife stroke each traveling down the street, regardless if witness to the massacre.

Update 3: Fuck the rules if you see this bitch, get the fuck away, run. Am tracking multiple homicides headed southbound, random kills, half of them police and Canadian Military Cordon Patrols. Clear S-class threat, no mask. Do not engage.

uploaded photo of a pretty girl with black hair and red streaks in her hair with a clear empty circle of blood-red seeming wind on her forehead spattered with blood and an ecstatic expression

Update 4: Confirmation. Unknown Subject: Cape Name - Mania - has been seen entering Brockton Bay. Details to follow in a new post to come.

► TattleTale
    (Vizer) (Secrets) (Dock Circle)
    Oh... shit. Oh... shit!!!!

Right, what that marine says? LISTEN to him. The woman… won’t name given PHO rules, but… yeah, one of Heartbreaker’s kids. Exalted, yes, Infernal, and yeah, not a good thing.

“Goldenrod” is also one of Heartbreaker’s kids, but he got his younger sibs out, as you can see from @FrozenMarineIT ‘s video, and he’s not a threat.

► FrozenMarineIT
    (Marine) (IT Geek)
    Replied on August 22, 2009:

We may have a problem. Remember Crazy McCrayCray’s house party of the apocalypse? Looks like one of Mania’s victims just had an awakening. Sorry folks, no clean video this time. Police reports: Silver light, Silver sand, and whispers about actual fucking demons in this one’s wake. Reports are that this latest one does not look human anymore. She? Bopped off the grid as soon as she showed up. Could be another lightshow body. Could be a fucking alien for all I know. But the fact that she popped up three days after the massacre and crawled out from under the house while the Guild were investigating?

Definitely a master or a stranger, she walked away unchallenged until she was long gone.

► TattleTale
    (Vizer) (Secrets) (Dock Circle)

Dammit, Yozi! TWO of them? And yeah, @FrozenMarineIT, we’re trying to get the Goldenrod safe.

► FrozenMarineIT
    (Marine) (IT Geek)

What the fuck is a Yozi?

End of Page. 1

5. Extras: Family Courts, Laws and Exalted don’t really work together.
    MageOhki

Family Courts, Laws and Exalted don’t really work together.

AN: Usual weekend BS, so, have a side story on what's going on *elsewhere*. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the next mainline out.

Early Afternoon, August 25th, 2009
    Barnes Living Room, Brockton Bay, MA, USA

Missy stared across the table at the two adults in her direct line of vision. “So… you got custody?”

“Ayup.” The man, an Ethan Hawke spoke. “We did.”

Missy turned to Alan Barnes, and asked. “Why? Who in their right mind thought that Assault should have custody of me.”

“Hey!” Missy and Alan turned to the man, while his wife next to him facepalmed. “... How?”

“I can see, you just wear a visor, and your voice is identical. Moron.” Missy snapped.

The woman, a Jamie Hawke sighed. “Let me guess…”

“Yeah, yeah, Battery. Air is my ally, and I can hear very well.” Missy shrugged. “So… what the hell, Alan? Didn’t you say?”

The lawyer sighed. “That my wife and I should get custody? I did, and to be fair, I still think that we by the standards the judge should have gone by, we should have. Let me summarize the documents, and tell you what I think he’s really saying.”

The two Protectorate Heros traded a glance, and Missy, displaying a patience that she didn’t know she had before exalting, simply nodded.

“Thank you.” Alan cleared his throat. “In short. He didn’t award permanent custody, he only did a six month trial, and I think he’s looking for any excuse to yank it.” Assault raised an eyebrow.

“Why would he…”

Alan Barnes sighed. “Because, reading between the lines of the order… he was leaned on. Or if not leaned on, clearly informed that Missy was out as an open cape and that only the PRT could ‘protect’ her. By that… your lawyer… who really is the PRT’s, isn't she?” Alan received two nods. “Could have gotten an immediate appeal and likely won. Family court judges hate appeals on their rulings.”

“Oh.” Missy scowled a bit. “So… what? I’m stuck with the Wards, who’ll bar me from Sifu and the others?”

Alan grinned. “Oh, no, he shoved everything he could down their throat. This is telling me he’s really not happy with anyone involved.”

“He didn’t seem happy when I told him about how the Wards met with psychologists.” Missy shrugged. “I mean… when Zoe heard…”

“I’d charge you for the couch she burnt up, but… honestly, I want to slug who thought that up myself.” Alan shrugged, only to get winces from the two protectorate heroes.

“Yeah, that. If Missy said what I think she said, I can’t blame the judge for being unhappy.” Assault sighed. “Frankly, that’s not therapy, that’s making it worse. Sure, Yamada is good, we have a few others who aren’t bad, but… Musical therapists is a good way to get crazies, which… wouldn’t surprise me is the goal. Ow.” He turned and looked at his wife. “Puppy…”

“Behave. I know you’ve filed complaints about that. But…” the heroine sighed. “We really shouldn’t talk about it to those who…”

Alan grinned. “Would use it against you?” Battery nodded. “Tempting, but in this case, I’m not. The Judge did.

“Explain, our lawyer didn’t tell us the whole story.” Assault leaned forward. “Something about wanting to review this.”

“Once again, in short. PRT and Protectorate personnel are to have as little contact with Miss Brion, unless she explicitly authorizes it or it is needed for her immediate safety. You and your wife are exceptions. I am retained as her lawyer, and guardian ad litem, with authority over any and all medical and powers related testing.” He leaned back. “Not to mention a therapist is to be paid for by the PRT, court orders explicitly barring Piggot or Armsmaster from having any contact with Missy, and every month he’s going to have an interview with her. Further, he has explicitly authorized and flat out stated lessons with Missy’s Sifu is to continue.”

The two Hawkes traded glances. “That sounds like…”

“He doesn’t like what he ordered? And is spiking the PRT’s wheels?” Alan leaned forward. “It is exactly what you think. I know for a fact that he requested charges be filed against Armsmaster and Director Piggot for child endangerment.

Jamie blinked. “Why?”

Alan looked at her stunned. “... What part of putting her and Aegis in the camp, to befriend Taylor, as well as be there if something happened, which it did, wasn’t putting them in danger. From what I understand, only the Youth Guard’s signoff kept them out of court.”

“... Oh.” Jamie sighed. “Ethan…”

The man shook his head. “Nope, not going to say I told you so. I didn't tell you anyways.

His wife eyed him. “And Armsmaster?”

Ethan spread his hands. “Pretty sure he’s figured out how screwed up he is himself. The one thing I don’t regret is getting therapy. Why do you think I push it?”

Alan raised an eyebrow. “... You might be the only parahuman I heard…”

“Yeah, I got some… feeling about some things. Let’s just say that.” Ethan shook his head. “Plus, hell, we’re American. Y’know how that is.”

“... Yeah.” Alan shrugged. “So, Missy, do you want me to fight this? I can, and I get the sense the judge is just looking for an excuse to change his rulings.”

Missy frowned in thought. “You’re saying we could win.”

“Yes.”

“But you’re also saying he was leaned on… and even with that, he made sure that I could still get training, practice the martial arts, therapy, and see the rest? And that I don’t have to worry about the PRT treating me like a lab rat?”

Alan nodded. “As well as withdrawing you from the Wards, yes.” He eyed a paper. “For this reason, and I quote: ‘The Wards are for minor parahumans. As a matter of law, parahumans are defined. Melissa Brion no longer meets the legal medical definition of such, therefore she cannot be a Ward.’”

Missy winced. “They’re going to catch Carlos in that, aren’t they?”

“They wouldn’t…” Jamie began to speak.

“Well, hell, that’d explain why the lawyer was so frantic. The judge got Carlos in a separate order, didn’t he, Alan?” Ethan looked at the lawyer

“I don’t know, mind you, but it’d not surprise me.” Alan shrugged. “But back to you, Missy. What do you want?”

Missy eyed the pair of Protectorate heroes. “Why should I make this work?”

Jamie blinked, but Ethan placed a hand on her arm, to keep her quiet. Looking Missy in the eye, the former villain simply stated. “Because, bluntly, several points raised were accurate. We’re PRT officially, even in our civilian identities, so the unwritten rules about attacking capes in their civilian identities or homes are backed up by force, not just a gentleman’s agreement. The PRT’s lawyer did make that point out, and used Fleur to do it. So it is a layer of security.``

Alan nodded. “There is that, though I’m pretty sure no one even approaching sanity wants to go up against my wife’s best friend… or Danny.”

“I wouldn’t, no.” Assault nodded. “But that was a consideration. Second, I can tell you, I won’t go against the court orders, and I was already planning to let you do… well, within reason, anyways, what you thought best. I can tell you aren’t a parahuman.”

Alan studied the cape. “How?”

“Too calm.” Assault shrugged. “Too stable. While my lovely better half…” He winced as he was hit again. “Ahem.” Shooting her a smile, he moved on. “Is stable, the truth of the matter is, all capes are traumatized mentally to greater or lesser degree. I had noticed Missy’s… and a lot of it is gone.” He paused and looked at her. “Not all, admittedly, but you’re a hell of a lot calmer and more rational about things than I’d be in your shoes.”

Missy shrugged. “Exaltation is nice that way. I ride the winds, and they remind me that yesterday is yesterday and will grow farther away.”

“Huh.” Assault shrugged. “Anyways, with the court orders…”

Jamie nodded. “I can’t say I like them, I think you need testing to know what you can do, but Ethan thinks you’re getting that. I don’t know how a martial arts teacher…” She was interrupted by two snickers.

“... Sorry.” Alan regained his composure. “I’m not at liberty to say, but suffice it to say he actually has the most clue to what Missy or any of them can do. Maybe not all of it, but he knows what he’s doing.”

“Uh huh.” Jamie didn’t sound like she believed him. “How, what, he’s a god who was around when the last batch of Exalted were, if that's true?”

Alan and Missy shared a look, and Missy turned to her. “Doubt you’d believe us so, think what you want.” The young Dragonblood smiled. “The fact is I know what he can teach me, because he’s proven it.”

Jamie narrowed her eyes. “You’re still supposed to undergo a M/S screen.”

“Ah… about that. The judge ruled… that no. Not without a detailed reason to do so.” Alan shrugged. “As I’ve said, he’s not happy.

Ethan blew out a breath. “Well… fuck.” Blinking for a second, he turned to his wife, raising an eyebrow.

“Why would I hit you for beating me to what I was going to say?” Jamie sighed. “Piggot is not going to like this.”

Alan shrugged. “If you want, Missy can stay the night til the lawyers get it though her head, or she successfully appeals the judge’s orders.”

Missy narrowed her eyes. “You don’t think they’re going to.”

Ethan and Jamie shared another look and then looked at the lawyer. Alan sighed. “They might get the M/S screen. Rest? Doubtful. Family court judges have extreme leeway. Add in with the legal definition of parahumanity, I’d argue that the PRT has no authority. He was right there.”

Missy sighed. “Still going to have to go to school, aren’t I?”

Ethan tilted his head. “Don’t sound happy about that. I know I didn’t, but…”

The tween simply looked at the older hero. “It’s more that I’m going to be bored out of my mind.” Jamie raised an eyebrow to question. “I read. A lot. I learn fast. I’m pretty sure I can test out of at least half of high school right now.”

Ethan leaned back. “How? No offense, short stuff, but… While you weren’t stupid, you weren’t crazy smart and it’s only been a few weeks.”

Missy shrugged, now knowing what they didn’t know. “Exaltation enhances you. I’m an Air aspect, which means knowledge is my gift, along with the Winds. Exalted learn fast, especially in areas where it’s part of our exaltation’s nature.”

Jamie scrunched her face slightly. “You’re saying Exaltation makes you a Thinker?”

“Thinker, Brute, Trump.” Missy counted off… then paused. “Oh, and technically Noctis, if I read the rules right.”

Jamie’s eyes widened. “You don’t sleep?”

“I don’t need to, no.” Missy shook her head in response. “I don’t get physically tired, and as far as we can tell, the mental effects of going without sleep isn’t a problem. I can sleep, I just don’t have to.” She grinned. “Imagine how much reading you get done.”

“Or other training.” Alan said drying. “I’ve heard you and the others at night. If anything, that is what I envy. Thank god Zoe doesn't have that.” Missy grinned.

Ethan’s eyes narrowed. “You’re saying that it’s not intrinsic to Exaltation, then, that... Noctis like ability?”

Missy shrugged. “Sarah and Sifu commented on that. They said the first batch of Exaltations sent out this time had a little extra, that expresses itself differently per person exalted… but those of us who were parahumans, or like Sarah and Taylor, had the potential to trigger?”

“You mean… “ Ethan’s eyes were flashing. All of the rocks spiraled outwards and orbited Ethan as white light erupted from him, and sent Jamie sprawling as she was knocked to the side by the force of the eruption of the anima banner.

Alan just moaned as he pushed himself back from the anima, well aware of the effects. “My house…” He straightened and *glared* at the new Dragonblood, and the laughing Air Aspect. “OUT OUT OUT OUT OF MY HOUSE.” He paused. “BEFORE you destroy it!”

“Too…” Missy gasped laughing. “Late…”

Alan turned and looked at her and glared. “You are a Dragonblood. Get him out of here! Or you are paying for the house!”

Missy eeped. As she turned to face Assault and figure out how to calm him down, she was blown forward by winds not her own spiraling out from where Alan was standing.

“Oh.”

6. Extras: PRT CASE FILE: 125 (Exalted) (Summary)
    MageOhki

PRT CASE FILE: 125 (Exalted) (Summary)

To: All PRT and Protectorate Agents

File Date: 2 SEPT 2009
    Modification Date: 2 SEPT 2009

PREFACE:
    Before reading this summary or the extended file, be aware that the majority of these statements come from documents given to the PRT via Tattletale(see PRT File 0125-03-00001), with some verification via Department ENE and Department 1’s test and medical facilities and staff. Some of the more outlandish claims or similar at this time, cannot be disproven. PRT Research does not place high confidence in the unverified or unverifiable elements of the documents that Tattletale delivered.

Watchdog, after reviewing testing data and the documents, has higher confidence than PRT Research.

OPENING:

On 13 AUG 2009, Tattletale delivered two documents, in electronic form to the PRT ENE, per previous agreement (See Action Report, PRT-ENE-11082009-25) to resolve the event referenced in the referenced action report. The first document is called “Exalted, a primer”, a summary of what ‘types’ of Exalted there are, ‘what’ they are, a basic overview of how they work, and a basic overview of what they can do. The second document, called “Creation, a brief history”, is, per Tattletale, a summary history of where the Exalted were, an alternate Earth tentatively identified as Earth-Creation, pending proof of its existence or another classification.

Testing was performed on AEGIS (File Number (transferred) 0125-04-00002) and ARMSMASTER (File Number 0125-04-00002) was performed after loss of previous powers and
    on 23 AUG 2009 and 24 AUG 2009, the parahumans identified as SHADOWY WINGS (ex-BLOODY OWL)(See PRT Case File: 0125-01-00001), DOCKMASTER (See file: 0125-02-00001), CORSAIR (See file: 0125-04-00001), LITTLE OWL (Tentative) (See 0125-01-00002), IRISHFIRE (See File 0125-04-00004), BAYFIRE (See File 0125-04-00005), VISTA(See File 0125-04-00003) and CHEETER (See File 0125-02-00002) were undertaken. Pending testing of two additional Type 4 exalts should be completed NLT then 01 OCT 2009.

All Testing performed on named subjects was non-invasive and included medical testing.

CLAIMS AND RESULTS:

Putting aside the document “Creation, a Brief History” as not necessary for this summary, “Exalted, a Primer” made several claims. First, that the ‘Exalted’ were not parahumans, but humans who had a superweapon grafted to their souls. As we lack the ability to detect souls, we cannot verify the second half of the claim. However, by legal and currently accepted medical definition, the first part of the claim is accurate. As all the subjects of testing could have MRIs performed on them, and their brains easily observed, detection of the Corona structures or abnormal structures of a similar nature in the brain could be done. None were detected, even in subjects VISTA, AEGIS and ARMSMASTER, and in fact, their bodies showed no parahuman alteration. Rare structures seen in the brains and nervous systems were seen, same with muscle structures, but they have been observed in proven non parahumans, therefore, while an outlier, the judgment of the medical professionals is “Not Parahuman.”

Second Claim presented and tested for, was that Exalted could learn new powers as well as learn quicker than normal. Indirect proof of this claim was already present, see information on SHADOWLY WINGS, but direct observation of this, based on the mechanics shown, outside one case was not able to be shown. CHEETER and DOCKMASTER were able to learn new forms to shift to, by sampling what they called the “Heart’s Blood” of an animal (Pigeon in CHEETER’s case, a raccoon in DOCKMASTER’s case), which is the process of effectively drinking the last bit of pumped blood from prey. Indirect proof from CHEETER and VISTA based on educational records and testing indicate basic learning speeds are enhanced. Only AEGIS showed any such ability beyond the above two, but given the time he was under observation and testing, and what the claim was made, we have high confidence this claim is correct. Consider all Exalted to be Proficiency Thinkers and Infinity Trumps until proven false.

Third Claim: Exalted heal faster as a natural side effect and are tougher to greater or lesser degree than normal people. Proven. This healing is in line with a low level Regen Brute, and toughness of a low level Repression Brute.

Fourth Claim: There are at least 7 types of Exalted, each type with specific themes and ways they use their powers. Claim at this time is not proven, but all information gathered indicates the claim is accurate, but at this time we have not fully proven or disproven this statement.

Fifth Claim: This one is unprovable by nature with the short amount of time the Testing staff have. Type 4 Exalts (see below), also called Dragonbloods will pass, or have a high possibility of passing their ‘Exaltation’ to their children, and other types of Exalts able to pass weaker versions of their powers to their children. Experimentation is required. With only two male candidates for this process, we would be willing to fund this for the female candidates.

(Chief Director Statement{02SEPT2009} Denied outright for any subject under age of Majority… and if you suggest it regarding the minors, I will help SHADOWY WINGS and DOCKMASTER rip your heads off.)

Sixth Claim: That “Autochiton’ or ‘Incarane’ built or empowered their ‘Exaltations’ A offer (which this writer understands was accepted) to at least meet the ‘Incarane’ was made. Even with this, this writer feels this claim is not provable.

Seventh Claim: Exalted powers, or a large number of them run off ‘Essence’. As we have no ability to test for such, cannot prove or disprove. However, the concept may be responsible for myths regarding martial artists, and presuming the other claims not covered in this document are approaching accuracy, may be responsible for myths of gods and similar beings.

Eight Claim: Exalted can ‘enlighten’ normal people by several methods. The method was (and this claim was proven) varies between individual Exalts, but, with the caveat that we cannot directly detect essence in a body, it does appear that this is accurate. Further, essence using martial arts can be taught (Two separate PRT Field Agents have learned the first kata of a ‘Terrestrial’ Martial Art), or learned if enlightened, to use their terminology. Medical and M/S screenings show no ill effects or consequences for this. Further, there are methods, unproven at this time, to not require the Exalts. It is the recommendation of this writer, that those methods be examined and tested. Further, training in the enlightened martial arts is of clear advantage to PRT.

Ninth Claim: Exalted can create what they define as “artifacts” that use essence to attain exceptional performance. Proven, though claim that enlightened people can also craft these ‘artifacts’ is not. Study of CORSAIR's or SHADOWY WINGS’ weapons prove the exceptional performance claim. At this time, such artifacts are defined as Tinkertech.

Tenth Claim: Exalted can keep learning and growing, even to and beyond the point of being able to kill Engbringers. First aspect of the claim, is tentatively proven, by the limited information on subjects SHADOWY WINGS, CORSAIR and TATTLETALE. Second aspect is not, however, this department will not claim it is disproven.

Other claims are beyond the scope of this summary document.

CONCLUSION:

We have no proof that the Exalted are telling the truth about their powers, but every claim we could prove indicated they were not lying about that. Further testing, and research is needed. Every effort should be made to encourage the joining of the Exalted to the Protectorate or PRT, or even further testing. The claim that they will be able to kill Engbringers should not be relied upon or made a part of planning, but it also should not be ignored.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

All effort should be made to prove remaining claims that we have not, by whatever means possible. If at all possible, subject TATTLETALE’s claim of books on ‘monotonic’ science, ie, study of Essence, should be proven and those books acquired. All efforts to recruit or gain assistance of the Exalted should be made. Enlightening, specifically by non Exalted assistance, even with the time investment claimed, and education of PRT Agents into the Enlightened martial arts should be done. Until a program can be set up to do enlightenment without Exalted assistance, careful and controlled enlightenment and teaching should be done.

Field Agents should take the following into consideration:
    Treat ALL EXALTED without specific Threat ratings as at least 3 in the following areas:
    Brute, Thinker(social, proficiency and combat), Trump (specifically Null and Infinity. Subareas to include all other areas not listed, until proven otherwise.). Parahuman engagement is not recommended given the threat of power removal and destruction that several Exalted have proven able to do. All Exalted possess the ability to develop what in concept is “Perfect Defenses” as such, presume even area attacks may not work until their ‘essence’ pool is exhausted.

Treat ALL Exalted as Strikers of 5 or higher due to the existence of enlightened martial arts.

There are four known types of Exalted
    Type 1: Solar/Abyssal (the claim is this is a separate type, but they seem to be a death version of Solars, which subject TATTLETALE and subject SHADOWY WINGS concede). Least bound by theme, their theme is ‘excellence in all things’, to and beyond human maximal abilities. Gold or Black ‘anima’ banner/battle aura, gold or black forehead “caste marks.”.

Type 2: Lunar. Shapeshifters, survivalist/combat/natural theme. Add at least Changer 4 to the threat rating if you see silver anima or “Caste mark” on forehead.

Type 3: Siderials: Claimed theme (testing did not disprove or prove) is fate, manipulation of such and other similar esoteric abilities. Add Stranger ratings if you see a color anima (Green, Blue, Red, Purple or Yellow) as well as a caste mark of color matching the anima corresponding to greek symbolism. (See attached 11,23,75 for appropriate depictions of known caste marks among all types)

Type 4: Dragonbloods. Theme is elemental effects and teamwork. If you see an elemental themed anima, add Shaker 3 rating. Considered the ‘weakest’ of the Exalted, but because they are meant to work together and aid all the other exalted. Anima appears elemental and is potentially lethal to humans. Do not engage from within anima flux. Dragon-bloods do not have caste marks, but are said to show signs of elemental taint in features as they grow in power.

Type 5: Infenals: Presumed type, theme is “Yozi/Demon” (See expanded Case 125 file). Presumed event in Montreal may involve them. Greenish (sickly) anima with other colors in the banner. Impression subject TATTLETALE gave is DO NOT ENGAGE without Exalted (Type 1 though 3) support. Information on these include high possibility of extreme master abilities, extreme shaker abilities, and breaker abilities. See attachments label: Slayer, Malefactor, Scourge, Defiler, Fiend. See Attachment: SHINTAI. If described Shintai is encountered and hostile apply Endbringer protocols.

Type 6: Alchemicals. Presumed Type, theme is champions of the people with artificial bodies to house their soul. Based on information, add a higher brute rating, as a baseline.

Existence of Sorcery, Protocols and Necromancy (see detailed Case 125 file), is at this time not proven, but if proven, add Shaker 8+ ratings to all Exalted.

Enlightened Mortals should be taken on the enlightened martial art known, but ratings of 2 to 3 as a floor is suggested, if they have a complete enlightened martial art.

Chief Director comments:

Agreed with Recommandations. If at all possible, consideration of the likely ability to meet Endbringers in combat with a chance of Endbringer destruction should be taken into account.

Consideration to asking/agreeing to assisting in the burden of child raising for legal adult Exalts to prove or disprove the ability to pass the so called exaltations, or weaker powers alone will be considered.

Attempts to recruit are ongoing, and with Aegis choosing to remain in the Wards, non invasive, agreed testing and experimentation will continue at least with him. At this time, Armsmaster has not stated he is rejoining, nor has Vista.

Resources and additional support will be sent to Brockton Bay, see attached file.

Suggestions to Congress about Exalted and Enlightened people being placed under PRT authority and jurisdiction, as well as potential NEAPA-5 additions will be made.

My, my. This IS a fascinating read. Don’t worry my pretties, I’ll be along to get more information soon enough. This is relevant to my interests. Don’t bother tracking my connection. There isn’t one. Toodles!