1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rule 4 - Modification

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by EmperorSIX, Jan 16, 2023.

1. EmperorSIX

EmperorSIX Not too sore, are you?

I've been wanting to post under a different name for the express purpose of separating this account and the activities conducted with it, from an account that I plan to in the future monetize. Something that is expressly banned via Rule 4.

I'm not one for breaking rules, and I like being here and don't want to get permabanned over something like this. With that in mind, are these rules debatable. I feel like I'm not alone in wanting to do this, and I don't understand why it is a rule.

What I'm proposing is something like this. You can have more than one account with the permission of a mod, so they know who you are, and you're two accounts can't ever interact in the same thread. Alleviating the sock-puppet concerns.

2. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

If you had any idea of the amount of sock reports we had, maybe you would say otherwise.

As a mod, for me, that's a no. As it is, you cannot ask us to have such a registry nor can you possibly ask us to check every once in a while what all such accounts in that hypothetical registry do in the event someone lie to us and try to cheat in quests.

Venyr4434 likes this.
  3. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

If you want to change the name of your current account, we can do that.

Having multiple accounts is not allowed. Currently, managing a population of "known sockpuppets" would be a direct burden on the staff without any technological support for it. It's possible this may change, but only at the discretion of staff.

Venyr4434 likes this.
  4. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Pretty much what Mega said.

The best that could be done is a user name change by the admins.

Venyr4434 likes this.
  5. EmperorSIX

EmperorSIX Not too sore, are you?

That's fair I suppose, it wouldn't be fair to put the burden on you.

In my head I was just imagining that you guys could write some code and that would be that. Guess not tho.

Thanks for responding .

Venyr4434 and Autocorruptor like this.
  6. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

As a teacher I had said about coding...

It's like sending a kid to the supermarket to do your groceries. Unless you tell him exactly what to do and what to get, down to every step he take, he'll just fill all bags with candies.

So yeah, what can seem simple can be so much more complicated than expected to code.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  7. Zreader

Zreader I trust you know where the happy button is?

How about requesting for a current account to be shadowbanned (or something like: can’t post, can only read). Then allowed to make a new account?

Or does switching usernames disassociate you with past comments?

Sorry that this is close to being a necro, but I was thinking about this myself and didn’t want the conversation split up.

8. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

If someone make a new accoutns because of issue, we tend to have the two accounts merged.

We won't really allow users to drop old accounts behind as to not forget their history. Especially if they have an history with warnings.

Zreader and Venyr4434 like this.