1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

[SFW] A Pact of Monsters II [Garden of Monsters Civ/Rp/Council game] [Ended]

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Xicree, Aug 14, 2014.

1. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4616268/

2. ReinZero

ReinZero QQ voters, geniuses at opposing their own goals.

3. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

1d100+12+10-20=45

Miss one day and stuff happens. Oh well, that's a neutral roll.

4. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

[!]Month 2

Hunting:

Kro’Lit had not been pleased.

Not with itself, not with its performance, not with the outcome of its clash. No, to say that it had not been pleased would be to a large extent an understatement. It’d badly underestimated the enemy, or rather, badly over estimated itself in ways in which it mocked and tormented other fallen Vorid for before. In fact it was this very self-knowledge which it had found itself ignoring that had motivated it’s joining with the pack in the first place.

It would not be making this mistake again.

With renewed interest in the hunt born of the mockery of its newly forged packmates, the Hunter vorid riled up a crusade to crush the foe which had a defeated him, utilizing surprisingly effective tactics of flattery, rivalry, and the outright predatory and competitive nature which even the most peaceful seeming of Vorid all shared. Zerelth, Old Crow, and the Eternal Storm would all throw in their lot on this hunt, leaving Kro’Lit to grin in pure blood thirsty satisfaction.

Sov Rein on the other hand would show a particularly imperious streak, rushing off after word of the precious commodities which had been stolen from the pack had been received, its scorpio-form body skittering off almost immediately to confront the beasts and subjugate them before its will.

It had been a slaughter on both fronts.

The hardy band of Vorid under Kro’lit’s lead had managed to corner the Juggernaut of a beast, harrying and disrupting it from feeding in a deliberate strategy to weaken the rampaging beast. Unstoppable as it was in most cases, the mounting damage which came from all sides no matter what it did, took its toll on the creature. The Feline/Hivayi Hybred-form hunters were both providing cover and direction as the Old Crow and the properly Feli-form vorid would blind side and break it down.

The hunt went on for weeks, attracting other attentions in the meantime... attentions quickly dealt with by the group with almost evil glee, quite as often as not taunting the rhino-like vorid with the Biometal which these quick hunts accrued making the beast ever more desperate as the damage mounted up.

And then the tipping point came.

Too damaged to run, and without being able to move quickly any more it could no longer gather armour for its hide, the four fell upon it, butchering the moaning creature alive as it finally toppled to the ground and claiming their prizes from its body.

Sov Rein on the other hand would find itself deep in the primary nest of the raiders, its ability to crush the wills of the lesser scampering avians proving invaluable as it worked its way inside... But the raider nest was not unguarded. Though the lesser raiders were no match for the very exposure of its ideal, the larger specimens were indeed much more that, it’d bargained for.

The ensuing battle would be a mad scramble within the nesting cave of the raider’s main staging nest, forcing them to collapse the entire thing and in the process escape with most of their lives, leaving the vorid of rule to a kingdom of ruin.

It took most of the rest of that month in order to completely dig out all of the bodies for their Biometal.

A decisive victory... but one which rang hollow none the less.

The raiders had scattered and escaped, with not a trace of Bloodmetal to be found.

Reward:
    +1 Advance in group comfort level.
    Raider Vorid nest moved...
    {Design Core: Unyielding} (Unlocks the ‘Unyielding’ bonus skill)
    [Kro’lit] +120 Biometal, +4 AP, +6 core.
    [Zerelth]+60 Biometal, +2AP, +4 core
    [Old Crow] +60 Biometal, +2AP, +4 core
    [Eternal Storm] +60 Biometal, +2AP, +2 core
    [Sov Rein] +10 Biometal

Settling in again...:

The attempted attunement once again did not go well... the raider vorid once again circumventing and destroying most of the seedlings sent out even as Verethragna attempted to play guardian. But even despite their loss to the Sov Rein earlier in the month, their numbers had only grown.

And the problem steadily worsened... only barely had they been able to equalize the situation as the plunderers came, ensuring their own food for the month from the bodies of their pests... but loosing portions of the stored Biometal in nips and bites each passing day.

On the other hand, Ephemeral would find itself doing far better, as its work to raise actual walls on their clearing to make an actual encampment, a bit crude despite its plan, technical skills making up only so much for inexperience. And though it had indeed made their camp less accessible to enemies, it also had made them more notable.

Kohas in its attempts to clear away the nearby seeder path vorid, would fail to do more than scrape off enough Biometal from the tree-like vorid to make it’s meals for the month... it at least also managed to avoid being blasted by the irritated, but relatively immobile vorid.

Avid Learner on the other hand would simply ignore the antics of all the others, concentrating itself upon improving their defenses against the constant raids. Carefully it considered the utilization of Biometal in manners beyond simple self-repair and those burst of ‘inspired’ reconfiguration known as contemplations. Each vorid had within it the capability to intimately work with and rework the products of their own flesh.

Biometal.

While the ‘metal’ part of its construction was indeed a bit of a misnomer, Bio-metal was not a simple substance. No it was the end result of several thousands of years of technological development, a tool kit of sorts, where the active components of it allowed it to work at near plank levels of precision in organizing and reorganizing materials. The fact was that most materials containing Bio-metal were not infact made of a large amount of the active substance, instead the active parts would build what they needed, structures both inert and mechanical in nature out of their environments to complete their tasks. Biometal itself was an incredibly versatile toolkit, but one which needed constant care and attention. For like any other ‘biology’ it found its limits in the simple laws of physical expression...

Law which the vorid were created to ultimately break.

The fact was however, shaping Biometal to its will beyond the constraints of repairs was... tricky. Most vorid had a multitude of sub-processors which allowed them to carry out the tasks of self-repair without thought. In order to do this work for which it had set itself, the Avid Learner would need to retune and reconfigure a small swath of these subroutines, changing the way in which they responded to its touch.

By the end it had managed to create working biometal schematics and what could essentially be considered a ‘mini turret’ all be it one which could be carried by any vorid with hands, though it’s more ambitious goal of creating a defensive system to properly ward off the enemy had come too late, and though it had held onto the Biometal itself, working with the hording area and holding the biometal within its folded workspace, it would find that instead of having come away completely safe... that chunks of its workspace itself had been ‘stolen’. The conceptual residue of ‘theft’ left tainting with an odd ‘hole’ burrowed in.

The Avid Learned redoubled its curiosity as to just what these raiders did, and could do. Their capabilities seeming more advanced than what it had at first assumed.

Rewards:
    [Kohas] +1 Biometal
    [Avid Scholar] Has opened Line of Inquiry – Biometal shaping?, + 1 Biometal, Crude Biometal Gun (-5 Biometal)+4 to combat rolls when worn by a hivayi-form Vorid.
    [Varathragna] +1 biometal
    [Eden’s Garden] +11 Biometal, no headway on attunement of area
    [Ephemeral of Existence] +1 Biometal, Camp upgraded. +1 AP

Pack/Social:

... Things... went poorly to say the least.

The less said about the seeder ‘friendship’ incident, the better...

Unfortunately this minor disarray had been enough to allow the Raider Vorid another foothold despite the wall, allowing them to steal liberally from the new reserves of biometal.

Reward:
    Biometal stolen...

Consequences
    The Raiders have changed their nesting location... Attempts to find them now subject to a separate 1d100 search roll, modifiable by the appropriate skills.
    Raider’s now avoid confrontation unless they have overwhelming combat power on their side (Combat challenge increased)
    You have all gained notoriety (A known Quality)
    Camp has become more noticeable to the general population of this Garden segment.

Current Resources:
    Biometal stores – 135 units.
    (Every Vorid uses 1 unit of Biometal per month, 10 if injured, 30 if critically injured)
    Cores – 8 units
    (Vorid cores are used by Vorid doing energy intensive work. One core is used up if a unit is critically injured)
    Bloodmetal stores – 0 units
    (Bloodmetal is precious; it will not be used up without group agreement.)

Camp status: Basic Walled Encampment (+5 to home defense)
    Pack capabilities: None learned
    Pack Fame: A known quality (Challenge level -1d40 to hunting, -1d20 to exploration)
    Pack comfort level: Beginnings of trust. (2/50)
    Pack Size: 10 members (10 Founders)

Biometal Construction Options:
    Create Simple Biometal structures: -100 Biometal
    Integrate Biometal with existing structures: -50 Biometal per structure
    Sacrifice minion for biometal structure upgrade (Minion becomes part of structure, runs defenses): Cost -1 minion per structure.
    Biometal defenses (Spike tendril, saw blade tendrils, Gatling spikes, writein): Cost -100 Bio-metal per defense instance

Lines of Inquiry:
    Better hunting: (? ? ?)
    Progenitor Party: (? ? ?) [1 more turn?]
    The Raiders: You are plagued by lesser vorid opportunistically raiding your stores... (-? ? ? per turn) [-60 Challenge]
    Biometal shaping?: Discover the uses of biometal shaping.

Pack action:
    [] Write in. What do you wish to do first?

Personal action:
    []Write in. What do you wish to do?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  5. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

We should deal with raiders before they start to become an actual threat to us. More defenses would also be a good idea incase we get attacked.

6. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Those raiders are getting annoying...

7. mishie

mishie Experienced.

So yeah, we need to deal with the raiders right now, I'm thinking we do something similar to last time, have one group sent out to scout them out, and the other to play defense since we've got enough biometal to have one turn without hunting. Hell, maybe even using our Pack action as a defense as well just to be safe.

8. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

Ya, that raider problem is... an annoyance.

I could try tracking them and leading a group of the other guys to them as my personal action. It would mean that I'd probably find them, but the problem would be actually DEALING with them. Not to mention the "Progenitor Party" that's supposed to happen (this?) turn.

9. Bloodshifter

Bloodshifter The Bio-Armor Lover

Wow Rolled a 97 didn't expect that to fail the way it did. Especially considering the +14 to my Challenge Roll.

Well I'm pissed (ICly) also yay, we got Cores stolen. We should likely intergrate those as soon as we get them. Wtching it get constntly stolen is starting to grate on me. (OOCly)

Also this works Sov is jelly at the haul you guys brought back.

10. Xicree

Your attack succeeded. But you by yourself are not enough to contain the raider numbers or completely curtail them. So basically you won, by driving them off.

11. Bloodshifter

Bloodshifter The Bio-Armor Lover

Basically I rolled up to them and squished a few before they flew off into the wild? That makes more sense then how I read the update. It had seemed like I failed to do anything but, scare them off.

Pack Action
    [X]Pack: Defensive duties. Get to know the others and work together on fending off and countering raids on our stockpiles.

Personal Action
    [!]Sov Rein Sulks decides to assist in defending the stores of Biometal and Cores. The fact he had decided that this was best achieved by simply sittting on top of the mound of Biometal the Cores gathered under him glaring sullenly at anything that approached the pile, lashing out with both claws and Ideal to those not of the Pack that decide a nip to the stores was a great idea. While he did Sov Rein thought, his one vorid strike worked cowing the idiotic raiders, yet there was simply too much of them to put to the claw his Ideal was unmatched yet it could not have handled everyone.

So Sov Rein thought...
    ... How can he apologize without apologizing?​
    Sov Rein never thought to simply say it was his fault, for a Sovereign was infallible thus he was as well. Sov Rein needed to be both Wrong yet Correct, a paradox if he ever saw one outside of a few vorids, in a flash of insight he knew what he needed. So Sov Rein's gaze change from sullen apathy to hidden glee, Sov Rein settled in deeper to the mound-in-a-hole that they're stores had resided in and he began forming needed attributes he wanted in a pasty follower.

OOC:Err I got carried away there for a bit but, its only a Denfend Camp Action, rest is internal monologue/thought.

12. Cyanios

Cyanios I trust you know where the happy button is?

Scout mission, and bleed em out as we go? Me and murderkitten can do that while the rest focus on defending against their raids.

13. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

Xicree, Mishie, look at my actual vote. Mishie only pasted the first part, not the whole thing. This is extremely annoying. clothes, really?

14. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

Yes, don't give into the clothes. Join Nudist Beach today!
    [​IMG]

15. ReinZero

My end is even worse. Mostly because 1) Mishie pasted it properly. and 2) I properly specified I was aiming for a storage house.

16. MrGazzer

MrGazzer Wabbit

Personal Action [X] Wait for the raiders to appear again, then slip into shadow and follow them back to their new camp, after finding it, return to the others and inform them of its location, if possible, bring Old Crow as back up if things go wrong.

17. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

...Should've stunted my Attunement action :'(

18. Xicree

Update on Avid Learner's section

19. MrGazzer

MrGazzer Wabbit

I would also like to burn one of my advancement points into my Technical, the other I'll bank.

20. Xicree

All abilities must be listed as Combat or Technical adaptation. You may spend 20 advancement points and 1 core to gain a new Ability modifier at any time.

Contemplation will allow your Vorid to advance in power by 5 efficiency points and 1 new spell when ever utilized. But It requires 10 advancement points, 10 cores, and 100 Bio-metal in order to be achieved.

AP does not directly translate to upgrades.

21. MrGazzer

MrGazzer Wabbit

Right.

It's just been so long.

22. ReinZero

I was making a storage house for our stockpiles, not a camp wall. I'm not sure how one can misinterpret lengthy details on how it's being set up and what not.

23. Xicree

You making a storehouse would have ended almost exactly the same way.

24. Cyanios

Cyanios I trust you know where the happy button is?

Who wants to stalk out the raiders? Counterattack when they try to raid our base I'm thinking then follow anyone who flees.

25. ReinZero

It matters, because I was making in a manner for relocation usability as well. In addition for ease of repair. That and it does matter for this turn and further.

Or are you just railroading the Raiders as a per turn stockpile theft/loss. Since having a storage means they cannot easily steal them, whereas walled enclosure does nothing for it.

26. Xicree

It doesnt matter because since you arent building with Biometal, you wouldnt be able to build anything that can keep them out. Since as I hinted their abilities allow them theft at a purely CONCEPTUAL to MATERIAL level.

You would have ended up with pieces of stolen storeroom. Instead you got walls that will at least be just useless enough that they wont try to steal them, and just useful enough to slow them.

27. ReinZero

I just reread it and saw nothing emphasizing their conceptual end of things. If anything, it read completely as if they're stealing upon taking a chunk out of it.

It does beg the question why they don't just steal the Biometal directly off a Vorid? Especially lone Vorids. That and since the environment comprises of Biometal as well....

That aside, the goal in interim was to at least reduce theft. The fact that around half the Biometal was lost is plenty. Furthermore, there was nothing indicating the walls slowed them. They fly no?

28. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

The reason why they don't steal it directly from a Vorid is the same reason why Kahos could only take a small amount from the 'trees' around us - you have to be able to modify or destroy another Vorid to be able to take anything from them. But the 'storehouse' of Biometal is inert and does not have any 'will' behind them so anyone can take it.

I can do this, but I would need a Pack action to back up this personal action.

29. mishie

mishie Experienced.

So yeah, haven't typed shit up into a nicely planned post yet cause I'm sick and it hurts to think, but here's the basic idea:

Pack action is that we go full turtle and just defend our shit from being raided and hopefully we can get some sort of nice write-in for a planning bonus (or the dice stop fucking us ;-;). Personal Actions would be to have Team Nerds (Ephemeral of Existence, Avid Learner and Eden's Garden) to do their nerdy shit, although it might be a good idea to have them work together on their next project, maybe working more on the biometal gun? Team Scouts (Zerelth and Old Crow) work together on scouting out the Raiders since they're all stealthy and shit. Then we have Team Defence (Verethragna, Eternal Storm, Sov Rein and Kohas) to make sure that we don't lose anything whilst we're scouting the raiders and to maybe even catch a few of them for info. And then we have Team Don't Starve (Kro'Lit) to make sure we actually get some biometal this turn, and this time instead of going for a big target, I'll just do a small hunt so I can't get dice fucked.

This will end up with us making sure we don't lose any more biometal/cores, we find out where the raiders are, we can get some long term shit done with the nerds and we keep roughly even with biometal. Although we could decide to let the nerds use 100 biometal to make something big.

30. gibbousmoons

gibbousmoons Well worn.

Xicree, that isn't what my action was either.

My action was to observe the spot I found and see if I found Hivayi, and then approach them peacefully.