1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Skein [Worm Altpower/AU]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Spiny, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Spiny

Spiny Making the rounds.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Funnily enough, I actually wrote a little snip about that.

Jax, TanaNari, Twei and 2 others like this.
  2. ShadowStepper1300

ShadowStepper1300 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well, with this power, that's easily fixed.

irilis likes this.
  3. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

Quick omake:

"Well?"

Taylor looked steadily at her. This is such a bad idea, on every level. She set her jaw. Mutually assured destruction, my ass.

Lisa's expression changed abruptly; Taylor caught the first stirrings of concern as her power picked up on Taylor's intent. "No, no, don't you dare -"

She went into Lisa's brain like a combine harvester. It fought back, trying to re-establish connections, but she was too fast and too ruthless. Every time she found mention of herself, she shoved it into one part of Lisa's brain, until all links led there. Then she changed the nature of those links. It wasn't clean and it wasn't easy, but at least it had the beneficial side effect of shutting the blonde up for the moment.

By the time she was finished, Lisa was half-lying back against the seat, eyes open and twitching as she tried to figure her own brain out. Taylor hoped that she hadn't done too much damage, but then, nor was she overly concerned, given the threats that the blonde had uttered against her. It would have been too much effort to remove all knowledge of herself from Lisa's brain, and Lisa's power would have simply replaced the knowledge in an instant anyway. Instead, she had put all that knowledge in one place, then altered the links to read BAD IDEA.

In short, every time Lisa even thought about Taylor, she would shy away from the idea of getting on her case.

To test her theory, she leaned slightly closer to the blonde. Lisa flinched back, eyes showing almost ... fear. Taylor wasn't sure whether this was a result of her manipulations or of Lisa's knowledge of her manipulations; either way, it worked for her.

"So," she murmured softly. "I'm going to walk away, and you're never going to bother me again, are you?"

Lisa shook her head rapidly. "N-n-no," she stuttered. "N-n-never."

"Good." The bus lurched to a stop; Taylor got up. "Just remember; if I ever see your face again, I'll start by making chocolate fudge ice cream taste like ass, then work up from there."

Ignoring Lisa's stricken look - finding out her favourite ice cream flavour had been trivial - Taylor made her way off the bus. That wasn't fun, but it was necessary.

Back on the bus, Lisa tried to steady her own breathing. "Bad idea," she mumbled. "Bad idea."

4. Spiny

Spiny Making the rounds.

IX.
    Taylor stalked off the bus, every step slow and deliberate, keeping her eyes fixed on the back of Lisa's neck. She was so deep in her focus, she barely noticed the bus had dropped them off in one of the swankier parts of downtown, all glass and steel and chic boutiques that catered to people at least three times her age. Lisa navigated through it quickly and effortlessly, weaving back and forth between the sluggish sea of pantsuits and sport jackets and looking just as confident as Taylor felt out of place. With a deep breath, she allowed the nearby Webs to bloom, surrounding her with light. Lisa's was unmissable, bobbing and weaving through the crowd, but being around the familiar golden glow helped her focus, helped her think. The blonde hadn't slowed down, hadn't even turned to look—but she must have known Taylor was following her by now. She wanted her to make the first move. Of course. It made sense, really. Shades of Emma, there, little fragments. Thin and chipped away, tinted a different shade, but still the same thing, more or less....

Hm.

Taylor narrowed her lens, even as the familiar bubbling anger rose up and seared through her, and blocked out everything except for Lisa's scintillating vortex. Pushing inside it, she cast her mental net, trying to latch one of the nodes before they could flicker back into the aether. She wasn't entirely sure what she was trying to prove, here, what she was trying to gain, but it felt right, somehow. Well, maybe not right. Satisfying, at least.

Street→city→shop→coffee→meet→Taylor. It was easier this time, now that she already had a rough idea of the surrounding associations. Taylor stumbled on the sidewalk, mumbling apologies to a frazzled-looking woman in a frumpy maroon jacket, and pushed another word, moving on autopilot.

Taylor→meet→sidewalk→Thinker... It was there, somewhere. It had to be.

Taylor→Thinker→power→use...
    So close.

Taylor→use→together→ally→control.

Control.

Taylor smiled. The node was shining with light, so dense with connections there was almost a physical weight to it. Most of those connections were tied to her node, too—looping back over themselves every time they rearranged, overlaying in breathtakingly intricate patterns, too complex for her to catch. She pushed further, blotting the rest of Lisa's Web into a vague mass of thoughts until that single node was the only thing that mattered.

Taylor→ally→control.

Brockton→police→control.

Power→use→control.

Me→emotions→control.

It was all about control.

Her. Lisa. Emma. Dad. They all wanted different facets of the same thing. She knew that, and somehow she always had, in some dark subconscious corner. Hadn't wanted to recognize it, not until she'd been forced to. Tattletale wanted control—the nodes spelled that out clearly enough. Over her, over her enemies, over Brockton. She understood that now. But what did she want? That was what mattered, Taylor realized, wincing as she nearly bumped into yet another graying 40-something executive. Besides getting Lisa to leave her alone, and watching Emma burn in some dark and sulfurous pit of hell. She had a gift. She wanted to use it. Her mind flashed to her laying on her bed, daydreaming about costumes and newspaper articles, to the cafe, dazed and surrounded by brilliant light, to Lisa's words, always there, always needling...

A chance to actually do something. Something to make them remember us.

Taylor Hebert wanted to be remembered. Lisa couldn't give her that, no matter what she promised.

But she could give it to Lisa, whether she wanted it or not.

There was a light coming up, just hitting red. Lisa stopped at the edge of the sidewalk, bouncing slightly on her heels, and Taylor closed the distance, striding forward with all the confidence she could muster. She didn't stop until they were shoulder-to-shoulder, and Lisa turned to her, raising her eyebrows and shaking her head in mock disbelief.

"Gosh, we just keep running into—"

"Shut up," Taylor cut her off, relishing the simultaneous whipcrack change in Lisa's face and Web, one dropping into an ugly scowl even as the other crackled and flared with light. "Do you want to work together or not?"

Lisa's eyes narrowed. "Excuse me? Pretty sure sure I was the one offering." Her voice was a strained hiss, almost lost in the noise of downtown. Most of the pedestrians around them were wearing Bluetooths or headphones anyway, but Taylor matched it just the same, shaking her head.

"Yeah, you did," she said, letting her pent-up frustration ooze into her smile. "I'm changing the offer." In the peripheral sliver of her awareness that wasn't dominated by the Web, the light turned green. She forced herself forward, doing her best to match step with Lisa.

The blonde rolled her eyes, a cluster of nodes bulging its way to the forefront of her mind. "Make sure your dad doesn't get pulled into this at all, extra security, keep it all above the table. I know. Don't waste your breath."

"No."

"No? What kind of fucking ultimatum—" Lisa was staring at her incredulously. Taylor smiled wider.

"That's not enough," she said. Her voice sounded unsteady and breathless, even to her, but she pushed forward, pushed past it. "'Above the table' isn't enough. I'm not using my power to fuck with people's lives."

"I never—" Lisa suddenly slowed, stopped, turned, stepping off a few feet into a nearby alley. The rest of the civilians flowed past them, barely giving her a second glance as she beckoned to Taylor, who paused at the threshold, frowning.

Alley→way→quiet→talk→private...

With a reluctant sigh, she followed.

In the relative privacy of the alleyway, Lisa's voice jumped from annoyed to livid. "You're fucking joking." She shook her head vigorously, brows knitting together. "Like... you're not that stupid. There's no way." She leaned against the alley wall and crossed her arms, an otherwise easygoing pose that was mostly ruined by the way her fingers were squeezing her sleeves.

"Call me whatever you want," Taylor replied, a mirthless smile on her face. "It doesn't change the offer. We can change the city, work together, and do whatever you were thinking... but we're doing it right. Not as gang informants, or mercenaries, or—or anything else. As heroes." Lisa seemed to shrink back at that, an almost-imperceptible flinch for just a fleeting second—but Taylor saw it and pounced, forcing the words up and up until they kept coming: "And if you're so scared of doing actual good for people that you'd ruin someone's life over it, then—then you're even weaker and more self-absorbed than I thought."

"Scared?" Lisa snapped, eyes flashing. "You think it's about being scared? I'm not scared, Taylor, I'm just not stupid. You know what happens to rogues who try to get in under the PRT, do their job for them? They get pissy and spy on them at best, runs a full-scale investigation at worst. Do you want that? You want Armsmaster and his fucking merry band beating down the door and asking questions? Like, I'm smart enough to disappear before that happens, but what about you? You don't have my connections, my intuition, or my knowledge, and if you think I'm pulling the strings for you..." She trailed off, shaking her head. "I get it. Everyone wants to be the hero. But it's not gonna work, and if you think it will, you deserve everything that'll happen."

Taylor stared at her, blood humming in her ears. "Have you ever tried?"

Lisa snorted. "I haven't tried jumping off a bridge, either."

"No." Taylor shook her head. "You're jumping off a bridge with a pair of fucking wings on your back, and refusing to fly. You could do it if you wanted to, you—you just don't."

Silence. Lisa's face was tense and drawn, her breathing even, deliberately measured. Taylor watched her, trying to pick out all the little details in her face even as she did the same to her Web. A burst of light here, a chain of nodes coiling into nothingness there...she didn't even try to parse it for once, just stood there, passively taking it in. Waiting.

"So why not?" She spoke before Lisa could. "If you're so well-connected and competent and smart, what's stopping you? Besides the fact that you're a smug, manipulative bitch." The words felt good as they left her lips, soundwaves propagating through the air to bounce off Lisa's eardrums, the neurons firing pop-pop-pop in sequence, impulses rushing through the Web...

"Don't you fucking lecture me," Lisa said, soft as knives. "I know who you are, Taylor. I know why you're doing this, and I know how to take you apart piece by piece until you regret ever meeting me. You want to work together? Sure, fine, offer's still out. But you better get over those anger issues and that little self-destructive hero complex real fucking fast." She took a step closer, grabbing her arm. Taylor felt her muscles tense involuntarily, fought the urge to throw her off, shove her back against the wall...

Control. All about control. You freak out, you give her control. But just thinking that wasn't doing her any good; she needed something more. An ace, an out, something to put Lisa on her back foot, make her realize just how much of a threat Taylor was to all those pretty little words dancing inside that blonde head..

Wait.

"You keep bringing that up," Taylor said, letting Lisa squeeze her wrist to the point of not-quite-pain. She barely even noticed the sensation, too focused the girl's Web. She glared at her, trying to pass it off as anger. Lisa wouldn't buy it, not for long, but she didn't need long. Just had to find the right places, cast the net, keep her talking. "Calling my bluff. What makes you think I won't turn you in, right now?"

"Please," Lisa replied, rolling her eyes. From molten-glass intensity to quick and snappy-snarky in the space of a sentence. Taylor almost marveled at it, even as she pushed her lens wider, trying to feel out the edges of her own node in Lisa's brain, find where the connections where strongest. Map them out, trace the patterns. Visualize, then execute. "You're too selfish for that. Too much to lose." She smiled, frost-cool and needle-sharp.

The words stung, but Taylor didn't let them settle, taking the little fizzling whipflares of anger and forcing them forward, channeling the emotion towards her goal. The nodes flashed by, scintillating bundles of compressed thought, and she let them take root in her own consciousness, feeling how they moved. Just keep her talking. "You're going to bet a lifetime in prison on that?" Her words didn't matter. Lisa's did. Just a little longer; she could feel the map forming, all the nodes passing by the aperture of her lens, sending little twinges along the strands her Lisa's web like thousands of iridescent spiders. She reached out towards them, stopping just shy of actually manipulating anything, keeping her awareness keen and immediate even in the roiling firestorm...

"On you being too scared to join the Wards? To deal with the PRT? No shit," Lisa said. "Don't lie to yourself, Taylor. it's embarrassing. Anything you think you can hold over my head, I can always find something worse to hold over yours. You're smart, but this isn't your territory, all right? You know it, I know it, and the second you start acting like it, the second we can start treating each other like humans." Her expression changed again, that same odd flash of something-maybe-guilt Taylor had seen out the window, but stretched out and magnified. "There's so much to gain. Just fucking think about it. Nothing could stop us." She pulled her lips up into an approximation of a smile, but it was still tense, strained. Taylor gave her an impassive stare back.

Nothing→could→stop→us...

Us→them→versus→win→control...

Win→over→finish→control...

"You're wrong." The words were neutral, almost conversational, every last ounce of emotion she had funneled into the intricately-nested cascade of explosions humming through her mind. More and more nodes flashed by, untouched for now but just barely within her reach, and the back of her head was aching slightly—how did Lisa not notice? She had to, right?—more and more and more until she could feel all her lens going almost blurry, clogging with datapoints...

Lisa smirked. Her mouth opened. Her tongue pushed up against her teeth. Taylor watched every detail, waiting for the right moment.

You→ One.

Wanna→ Two.

Prove→ Three.

It→→

Now.

With those four nodes, the want became an urge became a need, a roiling tide, a burst of sparks, an overwhelming all-consuming physical force as Taylor reached out, like she was going to swap the nodes, but instead of funneling them across the subshoots she just grabbed-pulled-squeezed, grinding their dizzying flashfire dance to a halt inside a massive mental fist. The rest of Lisa's Web exploded around it, a blistering vortex of activity that tried to snatch them back, lashing out new connections to replace the ones she held hostage, but Taylor's grip was stronger, holding them in quiver-flailing stasis, her power humming through her mind and sending prickles along her skin...

What→the→ "fuck?!" The voice was shrill enough to shock Taylor into the present, just barely managing to keep her grip, and she felt a wonderful-horrible gutpunch burst of joy as she saw Lisa's face, a twisted mask of confusion and fury, one hand clutched against her temple—"Get out!"

"There's your proof," Taylor gasped, the words sounding odd and contorted, like they were coming from someone else, someone speaking just behind her. "You—you want me to lock you inside your fucking head for the rest of your life? Or ar—"

Lisa's fist snapped upwards, connecting squarely with Taylor's jaw.

She reeled back, words dying on her lips, her mental lock cracking for a quarter of a millisecond but that was just barely enough time for one node to arc outwards, a sudden flash that drew her concentration and then, like a soap bubble popping, the whole thing collapsed in on itself, all her control relinquished in the space of a blink as the nodes exploded outward and the prickles stopped and she suddenly realized just how heavy her head felt, her tongue like sandpaper, mouth tasting of copper, opening wider-wider-wider, sucking in air...

and Lisa was standing back against the wall, both fists clenched, moving in closer—but then she stopped and her eyes bulged for a second and she stepped back out of the way and Taylor didn't understand until a moment later when she felt her stomach seize and she bent at the waist, vomiting all over the dirty alley floor, wooziness forcing her to her knees, retching and blinking back tears of pain at the crushing weight inside her head, just retch-gasp-choke over and over all interspersed with stabs of helpless anger and fear and it was just, just fucking unfair...

and then the weight got lighter, and lighter, and there were pinpricks of light dancing across the edges of her vision, like little nodes—were those hers or Lisa's?—she tried to reach out towards them but they danced away, drawing her further and further until her whole body felt faint, fluttery, drifting, eyelids slowly sliding shut...

She smiled, feeling them close, and let the world turn to gold.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  5. Ack

Is this the aftermath of a Thinker/Master duel, or something more?

6. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Oh Taylor... you and your stupid neurosis. -_-;

Also, Lisa... you should know better than to poke at other Thinkers. -_-;

7. Unclouded

Unclouded Unthawed Freeloader

Should be IX

Ack likes this.
  8. ScreamingMorgasm

ScreamingMorgasm Know what you're doing yet?

Lisa should know better than to poke at a lot of people, have you read Worm? :)

9. Spiny

Spiny Making the rounds.

X.

Taylor was falling through a sky made of fire.

Bloody red and lightning yellow and sunburnt orange whizzed past, the passage of the air itself charring her skin—she knew that, somehow, knew it was burning, knew it more than felt it—and her half-gasp-half-choke breaths barely made it out of her throat before being sucked away. All around her was a lattice of gold, thousands of shining strands spinning, weaving, crissocrissing and flying past her hands, so close she could almost touch them-clutch-them-grab-them, trying to slow her fall—but every time she tried they'd twist away, her fingers missing by centimeters. She let her limbs flare out spread-eagled, trying to get a wider surface area, but the strands coiled themselves through the air between her fingers and she felt herself falling even faster, skin crackling, blackening as the air was shoved it. The pain was there, now, pulsing through her head, a hot ball of molten lead sinking its way through her skull as her her whole body sparked-caught-ignited like a fucked-up falling star, the autumn-drenched clouds blurring until she could barely see, hot wind sucking away her breath, fire flashing past her eyes—

Something gleamed below her, bright enough that she could still make it out, and if she had any air left in her lungs she would've gasped—a massive web, stretched to the edges of her vision, so intricate it made her dizzy or maybe that was just how fast she was falling but then as she looked closer, oh my God, fuck FUCK her stomach twisted and clenched in horror. All across the surface, things scuttled and squirmed, uncountable insectoid chunks of boiling shadow surging their way closer, towards the center, coalescing right where she was about to fall. Taylor's mouth wrenched open wider but all that came out was fire, searing her face as she hurtled closer, closer, the swarm rising up and opening its jaws to meet her—

Taylor shrieked, bolting upright, then immediately regretted it as her head erupted with sudden, searing agony. She clutched it tightly in both hands, squeezing her eyes shut and whimpering as the pain ever-so-slowly trickled away. Even as it faded, from a stabbing to a punch to a throb, she didn't move, gingerly squeezing at her temples like her fingers were the only thing keeping her brain from leaking out her skull.

Some amount of time later—minute or hours? Probably minutes, but Taylor wasn't really sure—she finally eased her hands away, opening her eyes, and was rewarded with both her head not falling apart into bloody chunks and the sight of a pristine black bedspread, its silky smoothness broken only by...

She blinked, letting her eyes refocus just in the headache was clouding them. Nope, still there: a plate of bacon, eggs, and fruit, warm enough it was still steaming a little. How the hell? Shaking her head in disbelief—she winced as it caused another, smaller wave of pain to radiate through her head—she slowly, gingerly took her first real look around. She was in... a hotel? The room looked a little too lived-in for that. Apartment, then. A pretty nice one, too: spacious and clean, with tasteful grey accents, just chic enough to make Taylor feel a little out of place.

How the hell had she gotten here?

Her head gave another twinge as the memories dripped back, hazy and unfocused: the bus. The walk. The alley. Her and Lisa, staring each other down, her reaching into that crackling, arcing Web... and then everything just sort of dissolved into a useless soup of too-bright light and throbbing pain. She hadn't been in any condition to walk, let alone get herself to someone's apartment—someone who apparently cared about her enough to make her breakfast in bed. Very, very delicious-smelling breakfast, for that matter. She was hungry.

Taylor grabbed a fork, stabbing a chunk of bacon and eggs... then paused, the food halfway to her mouth, and reluctantly set it back down. She was hungry. But accepting suspiciously-tasty food from a house she'd never seen in her life seemed very, very stupid, no matter how fluffy the eggs were or how crispy the bacon looked, cut thick and laid out tantalizingly across the plate...

She sighed, annoyed she'd even considered it, and pushed the plate away across the bedspread. Food could wait. She needed to—

"Oh hey, you're awake! About fucking time." The door clicked, and Lisa strode into the room, wearing what looked like a pair of pastel-blue pajamas and holding one hand half-behind her back. She looked at the untouched plate and snorted, flopping down on the foot of the bed. "Jesus Christ, Taylor. Eat! I know you're hungry, and I paid good money for that catering." As she spoke, she reached out with her free hand, snatching a slice of bacon off the edge and popping it onto her mouth. "See? 's fine," she said, swallowing. "Like, seriously." Her other hand rose, revealing a sleek matte-black pistol pointed casually at Taylor's head. "If I wanted you dead, you would be."

Taylor's mouth opened, then closed, her lips unmoving. She'd never been threatened at gunpoint before. Somehow, it wasn't as terrifying as it should've been. She wasn't hyperventilating, the blood wasn't freezing in her veins... maybe it was the fact that what Lisa said was true: she'd had all the time in the world to do whatever she liked, and she'd picked setting up Taylor in a bed and breakfast?

Weirder things had probably happened, but this was pretty fucking up there.

"...why?" Taylor finally rasped, coughing a bit to clear her throat. "What do you want?" The second sentence was a little stronger, though her voice was still annoyingly thin compared to Lisa's ever-present chirpiness. She stared down at the plate of food—mostly to avoid looking at the gun—and waited for an answer, trying to ignore the way her stomach was slowly twisting itself into knots.

"We'll get there!" Lisa said brightly. Her voice, Taylor noticed, sounded odd. Maybe it was the post-knockout wooziness talking, but—no. It was jumpy, overinflected, almost strained. Just the tiniest bit of slur between consonants. She wasn't drunk, it wasn't that pronounced, but...

"But seriously, eat!" she tutted, the barrel of the gun still level with Taylor's eyebrows. "I'm not letting you waste a fuckin' 35-dollar breakfast plate."

Taylor's frown deepened. Her eyes flicked back up from the food, studying the other girl's features as she stood there, arms folded, lips pushed in a mock pout. Her face seemed drawn, her whole body a little too straight, faint bags and lines barely visible on her face. Unconsciously, Taylor tried to teasing open her Web, only to grit her teeth as the first tiny sliver of golden light caused another stab of forehead-melting pain. The Web faded seconds after, and she resisted the urge to rub her head, as much as it hurt: if Lisa was threatening her with a gun, there was a chance she didn't know how bad it was. That was leverage she could use.

"...try the other stuff," Taylor said, pointing to the eggs and fruit. "A bite of each." If she was going to drug you, she would've done it while you were dead to the world, the scathing voice in her head said, making her cheeks heat a little as she spoke. It still felt like the right thing to do, somehow.

Lisa rolled her eyes, reaching out a hand to pop a couple grapes and a bit of scrambled egg into her mouth. She made a show of chewing and swallowing, finishing it off with a sip of the water Taylor hadn't noticed was on the bedside table and a theatrical 'mmm'. "There. Y'know, there's like eight different ways to drug someone who's unconscious, and they're all easier than waiting for them to wake up and spiking their food. But you knew that." She flashed a smirk, which was still impressively irritating for how often Taylor had seen it, and pushed the plate back over. "Now dig in. I'll wait."

Taylor sighed and reluctantly busied herself with the plate.

It was, she had to admit, really good. Fluffy scrambled eggs, thick-cut bacon, perfectly tangy grapes and oranges and chunks of sweet cantaloupe. She ate voraciously, trying not to let on how hungry she was and ignore the way Lisa kept idly tapping the gun barrel against her open palm. At least it wasn't pointed at her anymore. The blonde hadn't moved from the side of the bed, her eyes dancing across the room, then Taylor, then the plate, a constant, frenetic ricocheting rhythm. When she caught Taylor looking, she'd immediately relax, but after a second the fidgeting would start again.

What was wrong with her?

A few minutes later, Taylor had cleaned the plate, setting down the utensils and pushing it awkwardly away across the bedspread. She gingerly raised her fingers to her temples and rubbed them, finally giving in, but theh eadache was, surprisingly enough, a lot less awful. There was still the dull, persistent ache radiating from where her neck met her skull, but the tear- inducing agony from earlier was gone. The wonders of good cooking.

"There," she said, taking a sip of water. "Now—"

"My apartment in downtown, no nobody saw, I got a charter car to haul you out, I have private security, you don't need to know that, yes I cracked your phone and texted him, two weeks," Lisa rattled off, all in one breath. Taylor blinked, nonplussed, and the other girl grinned. "Well? How'd I do?"

"I— two weeks?" Her chest clenched. Panic. Two weeks out of school—as if that mattered—but also two weeks of lying in a near-coma in someone else's apartment, two weeks without going home, without seeing Dad, oh fuck, Dad, he was going to freak— "Are you serious?"

Lisa managed to hold a straight face for around a second and a half before breaking into giggles. "Pshhhn, nah. You've been here like, a day. Not even. It's eleven in the morning, you passed out yesterday afternoon, so that's..." She paused, tapping on her fingertips. "Nineteen hours? Something like that. Welcome back." As she spoke, she brought the gun to bear, her pointer finger resting just outside the trigger. Taylor felt her stomach curl up on itself again—not from hunger this time. "Anyway! Let's talk."

"If one of us has a gun, I think it's called 'interrogating,'" Taylor said dryly. Now that she was lucid enough to properly think, she was feeling more annoyed by the second—a weird congealed mix of residual anger and deep, gnawing fear. It had happened again. Another corner. This wasn't her situation; she didn't have control. Just like always. Her jaw tensed, and Lisa shrugged, looking slightly uncomfortable. Taylor couldn't resist a faint, vindictive sneer. "You're that scared of me?" You should be, she almost added, but no. No need to push her luck. Not yet.

Lisa's face darkened for a moment, like she was about to snap something back—but then she seemed to change her mind, her default smirk melting away and settling into something softer. "Yeah, it's—look, it's not the most welcoming thing, I get it," she said, her voice odd, almost... placating. "But it's insurance. Seriously, that's all. What if you woke up and flipped your shit and tried to turn me into a drooling retard or something? I mean, it's not like there isn't a fuckin' precedent, you know?" She laughed, a little shrilly, just enough to set Taylor's teeth on edge. "Like I said, I don't wanna kill you! Negative. Do not. But you might not share my infinite reserves of mercy and forgiveness, so I had to take precautions." The hand that was holding the gun wiggled for emphasis. "If it makes you feel better, the safety's been on the whole time." With a casual flick of her wrist, she aimed at the wall and pulled the trigger, making Taylor flinch back instinctively against the headboard, hands rising to her ears—

There was a metallic click, and nothing else. "See?" Lisa gave a frayed-sounding laugh and leaned back against the bedroom wall, turning the weapon over in her fingers. "We can argue who's in the right and who used a Master power to soft-lock someone's brain later, 'kay? But right now..." Her lips curled, eyes flashing with that familiar knifepoint glint. She leaned across the bed.

"You owe me a favor."

10. Unclouded

Unclouded Unthawed Freeloader

the headache (typo)

IvanDead likes this.
  11. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I mean, its written amazingly, and I feel like both are amazingly in character, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to punch Lisa in the face.

TanaNari, Ack, Anomen and 1 other person like this.
  12. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

I wanna punch Taylor in the face.... :3

Twei and Ack like this.
  13. Galeiam

Galeiam Optimistically Asexual.

Imagine if Taylor saw the yo dawg meme.
    L

Ack likes this.
  14. Straw_Man@Large

Straw_Man@Large I trust you know where the happy button is?

Damne, this was a hidden gem. In some ways this is better than El-Ahrairah, so far the premier Thinker conflict fic. Very impressive.

Love how you're representing (virtually) telepathy. And curious how the PRT and Simurgh will treat it.

Hoping Coil is far off in the distance.

TanaNari and Ack like this.
  15. Prester Fred

Prester Fred The Mad Procrastinator

...Yeah, I kinda wanna punch them both in the face.

16. CreakyDinnerTable

CreakyDinnerTable Too many quests

As far as I can see, Taylor's done nothing wrong in this whole exchange. I mean, I might be misremembering, but as far I can tell, Lisa was the one to instigate the whole attack thing. So... I wanna punch Lisa, not Taylor.

17. Prester Fred

Prester Fred The Mad Procrastinator

Taylor noticed Lisa's powers and how they affected her mental process. Followed her, and then got Lisa's attention. So, yes, Lisa starts trying to maneuver Taylor into joining her, and comes on stronger than was appropriate, trying to push Taylor's buttons to get her way. That was uncalled for. But then Taylor decided to strongarm Lisa into joining the PRT, and Lisa quite understandably didn't want to. Taylor, being Taylor, escalated it into actually attacking Lisa's mind using her powers. That was entirely uncalled for.

So yes, I wanna punch both of them.

18. CreakyDinnerTable

CreakyDinnerTable Too many quests

Threatening to send her to the PRT, after heaving convinced her she'll be locked up forever for her powers, is a little more than strongarming. Throughout the whole exchange, though, Taylor pretty clearly didn't want to be there - Lisa was the one who sought her out. Taylor ignored her initial attempt at getting into contact, then Lisa hunted her down.

She insults Taylor, slaps her in the face, tells her she can take her life apart piece by piece, and then tells her that if she refuses her offer to become a villain, she's gonna be Birdcaged.

In my opinion, anything Taylor does after that is justified.

TanaNari, redfog, Sorain and 2 others like this.
  19. Threadmarks: Part XI
    Spiny

Spiny Making the rounds.

XI.

"You're— you're kidding," Taylor said, at a loss for anything else. Even now, Lisa was still playing the upper hand. Still trying to take control. She felt the anger flare in her gut, melting away the faint pain of the headache and replacing it with prickling heat. "No. I don't care. I— I don't owe you anything." The words still sounded so small, so unsure, grating on whatever shreds of ego she had left. She wanted to stand, at least, to feel like slightly less of an invalid—but then her eyes flicked to the barrel of the gun, still pointed uncomfortably close to her chest, and she reluctantly relaxed.

"I want to leave. Right now." That last sentence was delivered with as much venom as Taylor could muster, and as she stared dead-straight, right into Lisa's eyes, she saw something that might have been the beginning of a flinch. A smirk tugged at her lips.

"I know, I know! I get it," Lisa said, nodding quickly and breaking eye contact. "I'm not exactly handling this well because that's kinda tricky when you're analyzing the best possible approach to a grade-A clusterfuck from four different angles at once and reaching for the one that'll screw over both parties the least because despite surprise surprise, the Evil Villain Lisa actually has a fucking conscience..."

Taylor almost didn't realize what the other girl was saying, she was so focused on the words: they came out in sharp, tumbling bursts of speech, the natural cadence of Lisa's voice just off enough to be painfully noticeable. She was trying to sound obnoxiously airy and carefree, like she had earlier, but it was noticeable this time, almost stilted. She had to work at it, as if distracted by something else—

"But like, I was considering threatening you! Can you believe that?" Lisa laughed, and Taylor's jaw tightened. Had it really been that shrill and grating the day before? Did she even realize?

"That was my first thought, just double down on brute force and stay composed and you'll probably crack, right? But thank God my power's still doing its thing and caught me because, I mean, shit!" Lisa cut in again, the breathless, jerky sentence jarring Taylor's train of thought to a halt with all the grace and subtlety of an emergency break. The blond girl shook her head and smiled, just a little too wide. "You don't work like that, do you? When someone hits, you can't just take it. You wanna hit back harder." She paused for breath, staring at the empty space just above Taylor's head. The gun wasn't pointed at the bed anymore, but she could see Lisa's knuckles around it, squeezing hard enough that they'd blanched to white. "We're both kinda like that, actually. Can't stay down. Pretty fucked, isn't it?" She shook her head slowly, almost in wonderment. "But yeah, so plan number one was out, and then I cycled through six different variations of sedating you and getting you more malleable that way but that seemed even worse—but what about just straight-up earnestness? No way in hell, you're too cynical for that, you'd be suspicious no matter what—"

As Lisa paused for yet another unsteady inhale, Taylor seized her chance. "What are you trying to say?" she snapped, glaring. "You're just... rambling. What do you want?"

Lisa stopped short, blinked, cocked her head, and then gave a matter-of-fact shrug. "Rambling! Right. Yeah, I'm—I'm doing that. Coping mechanism for 26 hours of sleep-dep and counting. Hearing yourself talk is a good way to keep anchored, you know?" She flashed that same strained smile, even as Taylor's eyes widened in shock. "And I know what you're thinking! I did it to myself, so you couldn't wake up first and get the jump on me, right? That's the rational reason." She was pacing now, her path drawing loose, shaky circles in the carpet. "But yeah, no. If I'd had the choice, I probably would've! But I didn't have a choice." The frustration that oozed from her voice was so sudden and venomous it seemed to catch Lisa just as off-guard as Taylor. She paused for a second, composing herself, then continued: "I haven't been able to sleep for the last day and a half because you put a fucking hole in my fucking brain!"

Taylor winced as Lisa's voice rose to a falsetto shriek, pain flaring around the back of her skull. She reached up and pinched her temples, the bacon and eggs in her stomach suddenly feeling more like lead. A hole. Lisa had to be exaggerating, or speaking metaphorically. There was no way—she couldn't have...

"Uh. Sorry," Lisa said apologetically, shaking her head. "Mood swings, emotional outbursts... more fun side effects of sleep dep! You're welcome for the lesson, by the way—but anyway, the favor! I'm getting to that, I swear. But let's make one thing clear first, 'kay? I know what I said before, but I'm kinda done with the whole morality leapfrog thing. You want the high ground? You fuckin' got it, babe. Whatever helps you sleep at night." The glance she gave Taylor was most likely aiming for 'intimidating' but hit closer to 'manic'. "At this point? I don't give a shit who's in the right or wrong. But you, Tay—T-t-teh..." The stutter appeared as if from nowhere, making her pause and suck in an irritated breath through her teeth. "You, Tay-uh-ler H-hee-bert. You did this." Every syllable of the name was overenunciated, like Lisa was forcing each syllable out manually. Taylor felt another swell of something she couldn't describe, that odd Venn-diagram emotion halfway between guilt, satisfaction, and gut-dropping dread...

"So I'm asking you, politely, to fix it." Lisa leaned back against the bedroom wall, folding her arms and keeping that piercing eye contact the entire time. Her mouth opened, like she was about to add something more, then snapped shut again. The lead weight sank a little lower.

This was what she'd wanted, wasn't it? It'd felt so obvious then, the adrenaline and anger making it searing-burning clear. Lash out, hit harder, yank back control, forcing respect the only way she could until something inside of Lisa cracked. It had worked, and it had felt good, good enough that the memory still held embers of satisfaction. But now, as she stared at the gun—the barrel seemed to soak up the Brockton sunlight, tugging it towards its event horizon—all she really felt was irritation, shame, and a slowly rising current of fear.

"And if I say no?" she finally blurted, at a loss for anything else. "You're too good for murder, but I bet you wouldn't mind keeping a hostage, would you?" She gave her lens a cautious tug, just enough to catch a millisecond sliver of coruscating gold— and in an instant, the headache was back, less sudden and stabbing than before but still enough to make her snap the Web shut. She'd have to be careful about pulling something like the alleyway again, that was for fucking sure.

"Is that what you think?" Lisa laughed, shaking her head. "No, no. If you wanna take advantage of my selfless charity and free breakfast and waltz on outta here..." She jabbed a thumb in the air behind her. "Elevator's that way. You want me to call it?" At Taylor's bemused look, she rolled her eyes; they were noticeably bloodshot and seemed to blink just a little too often. "You can get up and go, right here right now! Be my guest! And, like, just to be clear, I'm not gonna hunt you down or work behind the scenes to ruin your life or any of that tryhard Machiavellian bullshit, because even though you're real cute and interesting—fuck me, did I say cute? Just... just imagine another adjective there, Jesus Christ—anyway the point is I have bigger fish to fry. Like, wok-size fish. But that said, if you step outta here without taking me up on that favor, you know what I am gonna do?" She flashed another fraying grin. "I'm gonna act in my own self-interest, as a citizen who now has a debilitating mental health issue from an encounter with parahuman. I'm gonna walk down to the PRT station— don't think I don't have a fat stack of aliases to do that with—report that I'm pretty sure I've been compromised by an unknown Master/Stranger, and then jump through every goddamn bureaucratic hoop they put in front of me until I get someone who can fix it. And before you say it, no, nothing's stopping you from following me and giving testimony too. But if you do that, we're back where we started! Same shit. M.A.D." Lisa tapped her fingers against her palm, emphasizing each letter. "'cept now, we've moved up from TNT to nukes." Her smile faded a little, softening at the edges. "But, okay. That's not a threat, all right? You can't blame me for this, it's for me. I'm acting in self-defense, here, because there is no possible universe in which Lisa Wilbourn dies from fucking lack of REM. Not a chance in Hell."

"You're out of your mind," Taylor snapped, her irritation burning through her dread at the idea that Lisa had a point. "That's it? Your best threat is—is running to the PRT and hope they clean everything up for you?"

"They call me Tattletale for a reason." Lisa was smirking, a fraction of her old smugness shining through. "And I just said it wasn't a threat, but honestly...what do I have to lose? Worst case, I get a cushy cell in a federal pen for a few years until my lawyers chew through enough of my bank account to get me out. But you?" She gave a slow, pitying shake of her head. "You've got a long, long way to fall."

"They aren't stupid," Taylor muttered, trying to sound more convinced than she felt. "It's not like I'm some fucking supervillain, or anything—they'll understand."

Lisa's lips curled, and she seemed to almost relish her reply: "You're going to to bet a lifetime in prison on that?"

It was quiet, then. Taylor swallowed, her mouth suddenly feeling dry. Lisa—or Sarah, she remembered, with sudden meaningless clarity—whoever she was, was an awful manipulative bitch who'd done nothing but take advantage of her and try to ruin her life... but she also might have been right, which made it so much worse. The realization made Taylor almost nauseous, washing over her in a slow, sickening wave. She hadn't meant for the alley to turn out like that. She hadn't. It had just sort of happened; she'd been stressed and scared and desperate to get an upper hand, if only to show that she could, and because all the jagged bitter parts of her had said someone like Lisa deserved it—

Excuses don't matter, anymore. You're fucked. You're fucked. The fear was back, thick and choking, throwing shadowy images of sedative injections and Birdcage cells across Taylor's mind. She fought the urge to let out a frustrated scream, instead settling for kneading the bed's down comforter tightly in her fingers. It was irritatingly soft and fluffy, so wringing it wasn't really satisfying, but it was something else to focus on. Something to steady her. But even if you're fucked, you aren't fucked yet. No point admitting defeat early. She took a deep, cleansing breath and imagined her own Web, in all its glory: every node neatly arranged, gently drifting through her headspace in shimmering clusters of semantic relation as the subshoots drew clean and beautiful lines between them.

As long as she was alive, she still had leverage. She still had control.

A smile crept across her face, making Lisa stiffen slightly. Thoughts flickered through her mind: money, enough for Dad to quit his job. Safety. Security. Making the Trio regret saying a single bad word about her. If Lisa was as well-connected as she said—and the more Taylor learned, the more it seemed like she was—all of that was in reach. All she had to do was ask; there was no way Lisa could refuse. Well, she could— but then Taylor would leave, and Lisa would be gambling her life finding another way to undo the damage she'd caused.

"So if I say yes," she began, keeping her voice quiet and level. "And that's a big 'if'." Lisa nodded vigorously, waving her hand in a 'go on' motion. "You aren't going to turn around and go to the PRT anyway." It was a statement, not a question, as authoritative as she could make it. "Because if you do—"

"We'd throw each other's lives away, MAD, blah, blah," Lisa cut in, rolling her eyes. "Like I said! Jesus, Taeeya... Taa..." She let out a frustrated huff as the mangled syllables ground the sentence to a stop. "...whatever. I'm stupid tired, not stupid stupid. I get it."

"Acting like a condescending bitch isn't a great way to earn favors," Taylor replied, doing her best to only let a sliver of irritation creep into the words. Lisa blinked, processing, then bristled like she'd been physically slapped.

"Oh well ec-fucking-scuse me, your highness, but I think I have every right to be a bitch, especially after someone decided to use my fucking head as a—" She stopped midsentence, closing her eyes and inhaling slowly through her nose. "Look. I just want closure, all right? That's it. A simple answer. 'Yes Lisa, I will help you fix your debilitating neurological degeneration that's also at least 80 percent my fault', or 'no Lisa, I'm going to leave and make you fend for yourself as your mental functions slowly degrade into a horrible sleep- deprived slurry.'" As Taylor's expression hardened, she quickly added, "Fine, call it, like, 60 percent. I think that's pretty goddamn generous, all things considered... but tell you what. You fix me, and I'll even give you a little token of my gratitude. You want stocks? Bonds? Offshore real estate, imported jewelry, fancy-ass wine—whatever. Name it; it's yours."

Their eyes met for a moment; Lisa was the first to look away. "So what's it gonna be?" she said softly, all traces of nonchalance gone from her voice. "Yes or no?"

This was it. Assuming Lisa wasn't lying—which was a pretty big assumption, Taylor reminded herself—she could get up and leave, right now, and start attempting to pull things somewhere back towards normal...

But did she really want normal?

Taylor frowned, unable to push the thought away. 'Normal' meant enduring useless days at Winslow, letting the Trio walk all over her, shrugging off harassment day-in-day-out. She could do better than that, and she'd been on the verge, too, so close to finding a way up and out of the slow-burning chunk of Hell that had been her life... until Lisa had flounced in and forced the world to revolve around her own delusions of grandeur.

Taylor had a right to be upset. She had a right to want revenge.

But there was still that little nub of niggling doubt, tempering her vindication every time it tried to bubble up and consume her. If she left, no matter what happened, she'd have a smirking blonde specter for the rest of her life. The PRT might have been the good guys, but she had an awful, crawling feeling that they wouldn't see things in nearly as sympathetic of a light as she did. And that was if Lisa actually managed to get help. If she didn't...

Taylor stared down at the bedspread. Despite the blackmail, despite the coercion, despite that stupid fucking smug grin...despite everything, she didn't actually want Lisa to die. Swallow her pride? Definitely. Suffer? Maybe a little. But die? She didn't even want Emma, to die, really—well, not by her hand, at least. And Lisa wasn't Emma, as much as her conscience wished she could equate them. She was brighter, sharper, more human. Not much more, maybe, but enough.

"...fine," she said, shattering the silence. "I'll do it. But—"

"Like I said." Lisa's voice was heavy with barely-disguised relief. "name it. I can have it at your house or in your bank account or whatever in a day or two, tops."

Name it. It would be so easy. Taylor nearly blurted out the first six-digit number that came to mind, just to get it overwith—but something held her back, that same bullheaded ideal that had caused this entire fucking mess in the first place. If she took anything from Lisa now, she'd be sinking to her level—taking advantage of a situation she'd mostly caused herself.

Heroes didn't take bribes.

You wish you were a hero, came the thought, rising dark and sticky and unbidden through her brain. Taylor forced it back, shoved it away, tore it to pieces and then to quarters of those pieces and burned the pieces to dust, refusing to acknowledge even a sliver of doubt. She'd made mistakes. Heroes made mistakes. This was her chance to fix them.

"No. I don't want anything." Saying it felt good; seeing Lisa's reaction felt even better. "Not from you."

"Nothing." The blonde cocked her head slightly, face a mixture of amusement and disbelief. "Are you serious? Like— oh." She nodded, as if in realization. "This is some stupid code of honor thing, isn't it?" she said triumphantly, the sentence interspersed with a giggle. "Or you don't want to feel indebted to me? Whatever. You do you, I guess. Makes my life easy."

Taylor wasn't listening. She had her lens half-open again, trying different angles of approach to Lisa's Web as she let the flashes of light flare gradually brighter. The pain was fading, slow and steady—not gone, but at least manageable. She hoped.

"Anyway!" Lisa took a slightly-too-enthusiastic hop onto the bed. The plush mattress, to its credit, didn't let out a peep. She settled herself on the end, bringing the pistol up and fiddling with it for a moment before dropping her hand to her side, fingers loosely curled around the grip. "Go ahead and do your thing, I guess."

"Uh." Taylor frowned, staring at the other girl's hand. "What did you—"

"Popped the safety," Lisa finished, smiling innocently."Just in case you have a change of heart and try to vegify me instead." She drummed the tips of her fingers against the grip. "Not that I'm expecting you to, or anything. But I'm a Thinker; 'Paranoid' is pretty much a synonym. Don't take it personally, 'kay?"

"Try to— how would you even know the difference?" Taylor sputtered. Lisa rolled her eyes.

"I can feel it, dumbass—whoops, sorry," she said, her tone surprisingly close to actually apologetic. "Slipped out! Didn't actually mean it that way, promise. But trust me. I can tell when you're in my head, and there's a pretty big difference between window-shopping, reorganizing, and trying to kick over all the shelves.... wow, that was, like, an actually coherent metaphor! At 27 hours! I should get a prize." Her bloodshot eyes flickered closed as she giggled. "But unless you have any other burning questions, can we get started? We're burning daylight. And neurons."

20. Aeodyn

Aeodyn Unrepentant Deviant

Very good. Still love the creative power, loving the not-automatically-friends between Taylor and Lisa. Still want to punch them both in the face.
    I think I can tell where Conflict! is coming in, if that's what you're going for. Kept almost making up, de-escalating, then nope, biting/paranoid comment at Lisa, who bites back harder, though luckily tempered by desperation. (Or maybe that's just their personalities, though with Thinkers that's all mixed up anyways, so whatevs.)

Ack likes this.
  21. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Can totally see where Lisa is coming from here. I still want to laugh at her for poking the new thinker without knowing the full details of the thinkers power.

TanaNari and Ack like this.
  22. Threadmarks: Part XII
    Spiny

Spiny Making the rounds.

XII.
    "You realize I might not even be able to fix this," Taylor said, leaning back against the headboard. "It could be something that my power can't reach. I don't even know what's wrong, specifically." Or that I even want to help you. She shoved the thought out of her mind. Just get it done.

"Of course," Lisa chirped, unperturbed. "But, statistically—and by 'statistically' I mean 'brilliant pericog intuition', you're also my best shot at ending the day with all my higher functions intact." She clasped her hands together, leaning forward on the bed and giving Taylor an expectant look. "So, y'know, if you wouldn't mind..."

"Mmm."

Little whorls of lambent gold splayed out from her lens' tightly-shuttered aperture, teasing at the storm beyond. Taylor felt the familiar tingle in her scalp, then across her jaw, then down her spine, warm fizzy firefly flashes of exhilaration she hadn't even realized she'd missed until now. The pain was there too, of course—it hadn't left—but now she let it drift, brushing it away to some untended corner of her mind. The lens widened, her view of Lisa's headspace expanding. Slow and careful, not too much, not too fast. More light filtered through, enough that she could see the faint suggestions of nodes, so indistinct they felt almost shadowy as they whiplashed back and forth across the Web. And with them came something else, those same little peaks and lows of feeling and sensation she'd felt back at school. But these were different: where other people had ripples, Lisa had spikes, sudden jagged swells of deep association that teased Taylor every time they crested, catching the pseudolight of her nodes and refracting it like shards of beachglass. Some other facet of the Web, intricate and gorgeous... but still just outside her reach.

She sighed, reaching up to adjust her glasses out of habit, then frowned as her fingertips hit empty air. "Bedside table," Lisa said, pointing. Taylor leaned over and picked them up wordlessly, letting them settle back on her ears and nose. The weight was familiar and soothing, a tiny anchor of normalcy. God knew she could use it.

The keyhole view of Lisa's Web flickered brighter, inviting, no, begging Taylor to pull it open and dive inside. The instinct was there, that was for sure; it felt painfully unnatural to look at things like this, with only a fraction of the scope and depth of information she was used to. But she fought the urge. Slowly, steadily, the shutter gradually lifted, her field of 'view' expanding until she could finally feel the helter-skelter architecture of Lisa's brain. It was tedious, but also better than puking herself into unconsciousness a second time. Most things were, as a matter of fact.

"So, uh." Lisa had the heels of her hands pressed together and was drumming the tips of her fingers against each other. It made just enough noise to be irritating. "Are you doing like, warmups or something? Because—"

"Taking it slow," Taylor replied, only half-listening. "Head still kinda hurts from earlier." It was only half a lie. Her head did hurt, but thankfully, the pain hadn't gotten worse as she'd opened up more of Lisa's We. Even so, she hesitated. Just nerves, maybe, or her morality talking, wondering if this was really the right thing, the Heroic thing... but there was another part of her, small and shameful, that was terrified of what she'd done. What would it look like? Feel like? Did she even want to know?

"Oh! You should've said so," Lisa bounced off the bed, the motion so sudden and energetic she could've been on a spring. "There's ibuprofen in the bathroom, one sec—"

Taylor shook her head. "I'm fine. Can you sit back down?" Lisa gave her an odd look, but didn't argue, settling back on the edge of the comforter and folding her arms. The bits and pieces of Web she could see were flickering, so fast it reminded her of Morse code, and the urge rose again, so strong it was almost a physical need—

Okay. Okay. Deep breath in, deep breath out. One, two...

Taylor exhaled slowly, pulling her lens out wide in a concentrated burst of will—and Lisa's Web snapped into sudden crystal clarity, shimmering and bright, humming with its usual endless tangle of thoughts. From here, nothing seemed glaringly wrong—but her relief quickly soured as she remembered what she'd told Lisa. What if the damage was to deep and pervasive for her power to find at all? Don't, she thought forcefully, her hands squeezing the comforter. That bullshit isn't helping. Just focus.

She pulled in closer, following the ricocheting trails of the outermost nodes and the tantalizing shadows of emotion they brought with them. As a few larger ones streaked by, forming and unforming into nascent chains of prefix-suffix-root, she felt it: there was a distortion in the Web's rhythm, its flow. Warping the path of the words, twisting them away from where they were supposed to go. Once knew she what to look for, it was unmissable and everywhere, enough to make her more and more uneasy with every passing second. Steeling herself, Taylor pushed, jumping from node to node as she guided her lens to where she knew the root would be, where it had to be. Lisa's Web was as mazelike and volatile as ever, but those anxious, twinging course-corrections in her thoughts were much easier to follow. It didn't take long.

Bed→side⦚bed→room→my→sleep→none⦚bed⦚hours→long→wait→wake→now→here...

Taylor.

Her breath punched itself to the back of her throat.

The node was there, suspended in Lisa's headspace, sitting motionless in the center of a vibrating, misshapen rosette of subshoots. They were still moving, Taylor realized, even if the node itself wasn't. There were already so many connections she could barely tell what each one was supposed to be, and yet still more were lashing out, over and over... but just before they reached the node to snap smoothly into place, they'd curl back, twisting and splintering in a burst of golden sparks as the link shattered before it was even fully formed. It was horrifying, mesmerizing—some awful mixture of both at once.

If the Web had been anyone but Lisa's, it would've been different—Taylor was certain of it, almost instinctively, even if she couldn't explain why. Normal people's subshoots would've drifted back into place, steadily guided by self-reinforcing chains of thought until the nodes had unbunched themselves and settled... but Lisa's had never settled, never stopped trying to connect-interpret-infer, and so her chains had caught and tangled, building on top of each other and themselves and broken phantom concepts that weren't even there, trying nonstop to compensate for that ten-second gap from the alleyway over and over—until the node that meant 'Taylor Hebert' had reached saturation, so thick with meaningless association that it began to warp the rest of Lisa's thoughts around it.

Taylor tried and failed to suppress a shudder, looking away as the other girl quirked an inquisitive eyebrow. "This... uh." She paused and took another breath, inhale-exhale, trying to clear her head. "This might take some time."

Lisa snorted. "Thanks for the diagnosis." It sounded playful, but there was still that faint, panicked edge. "Just do what you have to do, okay?" With a nonchalant shrug, she brought her chin down to rest on her folded hands. "Not like I'm going anywhere."

Juddering, twisting, throbbing. The subshoots shied back as Taylor teased her way through, stifling the reflexive urge to uncoil them, snap them back into place—trying that here would very likely only make it worse. Instead, she went by feel, letting her power stretch and unfurl across the pulsating Escherian knot—like the delicate fractal veins of a leaf, copied and imprinted on each other a hundred thousand times. She played along the subshoots, trying not to linger too long on those odd stabbing nubs of emotion that lurked beneath them, snatches of long-faded reactions interweaving with the words. Doesn't matter now, she thought, with an near-unconscious shake of her head. Common associations, matching paradigms, all the points where the undulating un-words had bunched and meshed and snarled—that was what mattered. The places she'd have to avoid. They were too dense to unravel, too deeply nested, too saturated with meaning...

"Any luck?"

The entire Web suddenly warped, some of the subshoots bulging outwards while others were sucked in closer to her node. A few more of the strange emotional needle-surges rolled over Taylor like an aftershock, echoing up from —above? below? neither of those really meant anything here—but it was so much data at once, flooding out and intermingling, that she could feel her headache returning rapidly and with a vengeance. "Don't talk," she hissed, half-shuttering her lens until the chaos settled.

"Why?" Shift, shudder, shine: the connections were twisting away, trying to move, futilely reorganizing themselves just like they had before, slipping out, away, beyond her reach—

"Don't!" Taylor snapped, pushing her power outwards and forcing the subshoots to steady. It was enough to stop the most violent tremors, thank God, but now the pain in the back of her skull was back, searing and undeniable. Gritting her teeth, she waited out the pain—at least this time it seemed to pass a little quicker. Once it had faded to a throb, she exhaled shakily, mixing her words into the breath. "Makes it worse."

Lisa's affirming nod was a brief smudge in Taylor's peripheral; as soon as the headache cleared, all of her focus went back to the Web. The subshoots around her node were calming, their vibrations slowing to the same dull, nauseating buzz as before— but they were also getting tighter, coiling themselves back up too closely for her power to pull apart. The waves were getting slower too, harder and harder to feel, like a chord ringing out and fading into silence. Whatever had changed when Lisa had spoke, it was over with now, reverted by her own Web in a matter of seconds.

With a long-suffering sigh, Taylor let her lens reopen fully, her view of the Web slowly pulling away until her node was a distant blob of brilliant thrashing light, a tumor made of arc lightning. Maybe she she was looking at this wrong; she'd been so intent on the source that she might've missed the bigger picture. At this point, anything seemed worth a shot.

Minutes passed—ten, fifteen, twenty. Lisa, kept her eyes shut the entire time, silent, pale, and visibly tense. Every time Taylor glanced up to breathe or massage her head, she saw her fidgeting on the edge of the bed, fingers curling and uncurling, as if mimicking he subshoots in her head. Without the toothy smirk and razor-bright eyes, she looked listless and wan, a painting with the pigments sucked away. Taylor stared for a little, unable to herself, and felt a split-second prickle of something dangerously close to guilt before viciously stomping it out. She was ready to ruin your fucking life, spat that charred, seething part of her, all the grudges and resentment that she couldn't cut away. No matter what, she's still an arrogant power-hungry manipulative cunt—

Taylor snapped her lens back to the Web, letting the golden light shut out all her other thoughts for what felt like the thousandth time that hour. She'd picked and teased and poked and prodded, trying desperately to siphon off even a single subshoot from the others, but everything she could find was either too weak or too deep to be useful. The more she tried, the more overwhelmed she felt: nearly every synaptic connection to the words 'Taylor Hebert' Lisa had ever made was there, bent and contorted into one massive, fucked-up knot...

A knot. That's what it was. Taylor pushed her glasses back up on her nose, her mind suddenly racing. It made sense—enough, at least, to give her a tiny gleam of hope. All the links were already in place, distorted but intact. She didn't have to fix them one by one.

All she had to do was find the thread.

"Lisa," she said softly, guiding her lens back towards the center of the knot, "...try saying my name." Lisa's mouth opened, the golden storm around the Taylor-clot roaring to life—but she didn't get a chance to speak. "Just my name! Nothing else. Now."

Lisa gave a sort of half-voiced huff, and her brow furrowed in concentration as Taylor felt the tortured mass of nodes bulge and seethe again—but they were expanding this time, pushing outwards from the same point. Predictable, if only a little. A pattern. She could work with that.
    "Tayyhh... taaay..." Lisa slurred, her eyes narrowing in concentration. The nodes squirmed, straining to escape their bonds, and Taylor felt her headache rising for the third time, the pain cutting through her focus, blurring her lens. Not now. She bore down on the pain, squeezing it with her mind, compressing it into a single unpleasant but ignorable point. The thread would be close now, hovering somewhere just outside her mental reach.

"Tayyyhh... huhhh...lerrr..."

The nodes strained further, little shreds of light sparking across her headspace as the rest of Lisa's words pressed in, trying to meet, associate, join... and from in between them came more of those flares, sudden polygraph spines of conflicting sensation jabbing up-up-up, so frequent she was almost going queasy from the constant whiplash. Couldn't block them out—too many for that. Didn't need to. Just let them mingle with the nodes and wash over her, like waves on a beach. What were they? Her curiosity prodded at her, made her hesitate, the instinctive urge to parse-understand-follow welling up inside her mind—

"Taayhhhhlurrrrrhheeeebburrrrhht," Lisa slurred triumphantly, a vein pulsing in her neck. Taylor's breath caught as the entire knot ballooned outward, subshoots stretched so long and fine she could finally feel the individual strands of meaning, gossamer-thin...but still too many to process, too many to pull, and the window was already closing. As each node lit up, it also contracted, coalescing back around her name into an ugly, indistinct mass of half-formed thought. Things would only get worse from here. She had to find the thread.

I→place→house→her→live→things→done→is→want→eyes→when→kill→kiss→burn→wake→sleep→don't→sun→set→spade→dark→hair→grin→curl→hiss→sting→hurt→blood→she→me→my...

The nodes were coming as fast as she could find them, barely comprehensible, blurred to semantic white noise in her mind. Faster and faster and yet still faster, head pounding gut twisting words melting—the ripples of emotion were a constant pulse, the strongest they'd ever been, so powerful and mesmerizing they made her heart flutter in her chest...and then something rose within her, a sudden rush of purpose she could only explain as raw instinct.

She gathered up her power and pulled, and the ripples surged, yanking her in and swallowing her up.

23. Threadmarks: Part XIII (End of Arc I)
    Spiny

Spiny Making the rounds.

XIII.

Taylor's lens shattered.

Something was yanking on her entire headspace at once, pulling it outwards, going—down? in? deeper, Lisa's words surrounding her, falling away, pirouetting glitter-fractures in a slow-motion mosaic. The Web dimmed, strands flashing out like sunbursts, gunshots, here-then-gone—and then she hit bottom, and things slowed, settled. The Web remained, a sky-sized chandelier—but Taylor was somehow underneath it, drifting through a murky expanse of... of what, exactly?

She flared her power, and strands of gold slid across the unfamiliar topography like questing fingers. Waves. That was what they felt like. Waves of... feelings, discrete but bound together, constantly merging and unmerging. A second Web.

It made sense, she thought, her power tracing them reverently. The nodes were just the surface, the immediate meanings, transient and shallow—but they were linked beneath by this, an endless expanse of ingrained sensation that shifted and swelled like the rolling sea, granting every word significance and weight. The tide moved slowly and uniformly, keeping the same, steady rhythm—except for a spot near the center of her lens, where the waves had sort of crystallized, frozen into a bristling epicenter, an inverted whirlpool of long icy teeth. Her node. She recognized it immediately, with the same hindbrain certainty that had pulled her down here, and felt its wrongness, corrosive and biting. As long as it remained, the Web would never heal—but there was a flaw. A path through the knot. A thread.

Taylor didn't hesitate, pulling her lens towards the jagged peaks—and as her power touched them, they surged, flinging a blinding tsunami across the Second Web and slamming her with a facepunch burst of raw unfiltered emotion, so sudden and pure she almost collapsed back on the bed, gasping in shock—

Irritating→frustrating→worry→useless→worthless→hopeless→help...

Fast and relentless, over and over. She felt like she was choking on the whiplash, drowning under the weight of every last little thing Lisa had ever felt about Taylor Anne Hebert and most of it was bad but there were faint flares of good, too, mingling with the torrent, and that somehow made it even worse—

Snarky→smart→useful→close→wish...

And then came other things, things she couldn't name, confusing and overwhelming and disorientingly warm, flooding over her and tearing her into pieces until she wasn't sure if she wanted to laugh or cry or leap up from the bed and slam Lisa's head against the fucking wall—

Lisa! Lisa was screaming, a drawn-out skullpiercing wail of anguish that seemed too loud to be human. Taylor gasped, her eyes hot with tears for reasons she couldn't explain, and half-slid off the bed, moving closer—

Alone→ignore→pity→hide→distance→cold—

Then something in the room EXPLODED and Taylor threw herself to the floor, mouth stretching open in a shriek she couldn't hear. The gun, she realized dimly, crawling along the plush carpet. Lisa had fired, but there was no blood, no numbness, no pain except for her the pounding in her head, steady as a timpani. The barrage of emotions was ebbing, dissolving…

And then it stopped, all at once, and it would've been silent if her ears hadn't been ringing.

Grabbing the bedpost for support, Taylor hauled herself halfway to her feet with one hand, massaging her head with the other. The gun was laying innocuously on the bedspread—only a splintered, button-sized hole above the headboard showed how close she'd come to death. Her stomach clenched. Get it, her vindictiveness hissed, sharp and demanding. Pick it up, before she finishes the job. She took it gingerly, mildly surprised at the weight—heavier than she'd expected for something so small. It wasn't even hot—but it was still in firing mode, right? She'd never even held a gun before, much less needed to potentially use one—but as long as she had it, Lisa didn't. That was good, but she still needed to actually get up.

The rest of the journey to fully standing made Taylor slightly dizzy, but when the room had stopped swimming, she saw Lisa sitting against the back wall, head down, knees tucked nearly to her chest. She was very, very, still—almost too still, Taylor realized with a sickening jolt—but no, her Web—the First Web—was glowing, so brilliantly it was hard to focus on, thousands and thousands of nodes crackling with renewed activity as the ripples of the Second coursed smooth and confident beneath. It felt right, intrinsically pleasing to some sense Taylor couldn't identify. It felt whole.

With a deep, steadying breath, she raised the gun, training the barrel on Lisa's head. The other girl was moving now, her shoulders heaving gently up and down as her hair bobbed with the effort. Subtle, arrhythmic, familiar...

Lisa Wilbourn, the infallible Tattletale, was crying.

For a half a second, the gun drifted lower, then snapped back into place. "Don't move," Taylor said quietly, the words making Lisa stir, then freeze. "I mean, don't... don't move suddenly. Stand up. Slowly."

Lisa complied, rising unsteadily to her feet. She was shaking, and her face was streaked with tear-tracks... but her eyes were shiny and keen, the signature Tattletale spark flaring behind them once again. "Hhhhollyfuck," she breathed, slowly putting both hands in the air as she saw the gun. "That was... what the fuck." She shook her head, eyes wide. Taylor met them defiantly. "What did you do?"

"You tried to shoot me," she said, ignoring the question. It came out raspy. Not as intimidating as in her head. She paused for a moment, trying to think of something better, but Lisa had already jumped in to fill the silence.

"Oh. Yeah. I—" She sighed. "I fucked up, all right? I'm sorry. I didn't—whatever you did, it..." Her face scrunched in a grimace. "It was like my brain was puking. Seriously, what was that?"

Taylor kept her gaze and her voice steady. "So you tried to shoot me."

"I know!" Lisa said, her tone whipping from apologetic to belligerent. "I get it, and I'm sorry, okay? You don't know how it felt—and don't bullshit me, I know you don't, everyone's power insulates them from shit like that—but I thought I was dying. Worse than dying. I—" She paused, taking in a deep breath. "Like I said, I wasn't being rational. It was my fault, and—"

From outside the door, an elevator chimed.

Lisa moved first. She stepped, pivoted, closing the distance—and with an easy twist of her arm, she'd tugged the gun away, so fast that Taylor's fingers jerked a millisecond later to deathgrip the empty air. "Sorry gonna need this stay here!" she hissed, halfway to the bedroom door by the time Taylor lunged to catch her. "Seriously! My security—"

"Drop the gun!" The voice from the room beyond was low and masculine, slightly clipped, palatal relaxation on the 'R'. Spanish, Taylor thought; she couldn't place it beyond that. "I said drop— Ms. Dennehey!" Upward inflection, more aerated than normal. Surprise and shock. Taylor tensed, her eyes flicking around Lisa's bedroom for alternate exits. There were only two doors: the one outside and the one to the closet, which didn't seem like a great prospect. Moving as silently as she dared, she crept away from the door, settling in the corner of the room and keeping her ears perked for the muffled conversation outside.

"We—there were shots, and screaming!" The same voice, somewhere between bemused and annoyed. "Is everything—"

"Fine," Lisa cut in coolly. Taylor could practically hear the eyeroll that accompanied the words. "I was cleaning it. Made a mistake. It startled me."

"...cleaning it." Another voice, still male. This one seemed dubious. Taylor couldn't blame him. "Ms. Dennehey, we need to search—"

"Like hell you do!" Lisa snapped, composure boiling off in an instant. "I'm right here, for fuck's sake! I'm fine! Your job is to protect the Dennehey family interests—more specifically, me. Well, congrats! I'm here, alive and well, so you can all just pile back in that elevator right now and head out for donuts or something, 'kay?"

"This isn't—" The irritation in the guard's voice was plainly audible now, but it paled in comparison to Lisa's ire.

"Oh my God, why is this so fucking hard?" Her voice jumped loud enough to make Taylor wince. "I'm alive, and I don't want you here, so you need to leave. Get it? That's an order. Now get out, all of you, before I drop your contract so hard your asses imprint in the foundation and hire Academi instead!"

There was a tense silence, stretching three or four long seconds... and then a grunt, a shuffling of boots. The elevator chimed a second time.

Taylor heard a deep, shaky-sounding breath, muffled by the door—which was thrown open a moment later, nearly catching her in the face. "Fucking idiots," Lisa murmured, sounding more exhausted than annoyed. The gun was still in her hand. Taylor eyed it warily—then almost stumbled back as the blonde thrust it straight at her, grip-first. "Here," she said, leaving the weapon hanging loosely in Taylor's disbelieving grip. "My gift to you."

Taylor stared down at the gun in her fingers. "I—what am I going to do with this?" You know what to do, her anger and humiliation whispered, needling. She grit her teeth, choking them down. Every time, it got a little harder.

"Nothing!" Lisa said brightly, shaking her head. "You can drop it on the bed if you want, I just figured it'd be a nice show of trust. Symbolic, y'know? A semi-auto olive branch." She opened the bedroom door again, beckoning Taylor out into a chic but sparsely-furnished living area. "Aaaaanyway. I'd love to keep playing hostess, but I'm fucking exhausted, haven't eaten since last night, and feel like I just got the mental equivalent of a pap smear, so party's over. I'll buzz the desk, the elevator will take you down, and there's a bus stop two blocks to the left outside the lobby. It's been fun!"

"No," Taylor said, her voice flat and scathing."No, it hasn't."

"Oh, gosh, really?" Lisa put a hand to her mouth in mock horror. "I could get some room service, if you want—you like subs? How about a nice little body pillow, or some vicodin? Oxycodone? Maybe some bubble bath?" Her chipper tone never wavered, but the truth was in her eyes: sharp and bright and challenging. Taylor's narrowed. Her blood was sparking in her veins, vessels like riven subshoots, pushing her to give in, give up control—

She didn't care anymore.

"I should've let you fucking rot," she hissed, throwing every ounce of pent-up venom she could into the words. The gun rose as if of its own accord, leveling at Lisa's face. She stiffened.

"You don't mean that." Her voice was quiet, her eyes had dulled, her grin had settled—but she was still staring at Taylor. Neutral. Waiting.

"Like hell I don't!" Intuition would've told her to stop, to wait, cut her losses before Lisa could humiliate her again, but she was so far beyond that now, so far past caring...

She strode forward, closing the distance in seconds. Lisa didn't flinch, but took a step back. Just as good. "From the day I met you, you've been blackmailing me, threatening everything I care about, doing everything you can to me think you've got me wrapped around your finger... And why?" She paused with inches left between their eyes, and let her voice drop to a savage whisper. "I know why, you pathetic waste of a trigger event. You never wanted to recruit me, did you? It wasn't about working together. It never was. It was about humiliation and power and revenge, all because I cracked your precious little gilded eggshell of an ego and you couldn't let it fucking go."

Seconds passed. Then Lisa mumbled something, too soft to hear.

"What?" Taylor snapped, holding her glare until Lisa's eyes finally dropped, flicking down to the floor. It probably shouldn't have felt as satisfying—as liberating—as it did, but what the fuck did she care?

This was her right.

"Definition of insanity," the other girl repeated, slowly looking back up. "I'll spare you the quote—but haven't we done this enough?"

"...done what? What the fuck are you talking about?" No jibes, no insults, not even a smile—Lisa just sounded tired. Taylor felt her vicious satisfaction start to shrivel a little, curling at the edges—no. Lisa was just desperate, fishing for a way out. She knew was backed into a corner. That's what it was. What it had to be.

"This!" Lisa said, waving a hand vaguely."This...spiral. You're a social Thinker. So am I. By definition, we're both scary good at making other people feel like shit, but that doesn't mean we have to. We can keep insulting each other, vying back and forth, cutting deeper and deeper until we both want each other worse than dead— or we can just stop. Right now. Defuse." She sighed heavily, with a small, rueful smile. "It's your victory if you want it. I don't care. But I'm done."

Taylor frowned in disbelief, her anger momentarily evaporating—then reigniting in full force. "How stupid do you think I am? You're done? Of course you're done! You started all of this, but now, right after I fixed you, after I realized how much of a spiteful narcissistic cunt you are, you want to start playing nice, because I'm not useful, anymore, am I? So you want to pacify me, make sure I don't go come and bite you later. Just another checkbox on the master plan."

"I don't care if I started it. I'm finishing it," Lisa said. Her smile was broken and torn, only its ghost left behind. "What do you want me to say? 'I'm Lisa, I'm an evil megalomaniacal bitch who gets off to lying to people and ruining their lives'? Will that help? Or are you just stalling before you shoot me, after I've surrendered? Like real hero would." She paused, taking a few unsteady breaths, and Taylor took the silence and seized it, fanning the flames before all those nauseating Maybes could choke them out—

"Go to hell, Sarah. You aren't earnest. You don't care. You've lied and cheated and manipulated people for so long you don't even realize you're doing it anymore, and you expect me to listen to you?" She almost shoved Lisa, then, to punctuate the assault, but something held her back. Shoving was something Sophia did. Something Emma did. She wasn't them. She was a hero. This was her right. So she settled for a sneer, shaking her head as the other girl shrunk against the wall. "You don't have a sympathetic bone in your fucking body."

"You really believe that?" Lisa's voice was small, wavering. "You had a season pass to my inner psyche, for fuck's sake. Front-row Freud on Jung action. I know what you saw, what you felt—I had to relive it too, remember?" She looked up, the hurt in her eyes seeming painfully, terrifyingly real. "Was that all a lie? Another angle?"

Now it was Taylor's turn for silence—and for a fraction of a moment, the gun wavered. She steadied it, but it felt heavier than before, its metal cold against her skin.

"I haven't let anyone see me cry in twelve years. Was that a lie, too?" Lisa said, turning away, her forehead resting on the glass of the window. "...look, you can believe whatever the fuck you want. I'm not the one who can hotwire people's brains. But I don't hate you, Taylor. I never did. And I'm not gonna be your enemy." She turned back from the window and raised a hand, tapping a finger against her temple. "If you don't believe me, believe your power. It's all here." The Web glittered with each word, shining with newly-restored energy and life. Lisa shrugged. "Or just kill me, I guess. I'll be honest, I'm gambling on you being better than that—but maybe I'll lose. That'd be one hell of a first."

Taylor forced her lens to close, shutting out the light. It would've been pointless. Nothing to gain but guilt and hurt, and she didn't want—no, didn't deserve any more of either, not with what she had put her through...

But as Lisa stood there, eyes questioning, hoping, begging... something inside her folded. She yanked the Web back open and dove inside, engulfed in shimmering gold. One way or another, it wouldn't take long—this time, she knew exactly where to look.

First→time→talk→think→match→power→use→now→Taylor. Her node was bright and healthy, all traces of its former warped existence scrubbed clean by the constant pulse of Lisa's thoughts. Subshoots rippled and snapped against it, chaining like fire-flushed chromosomes as she tried to focus further—but this time, for once, she didn't care about the words.

The Second Web wasn't as blindingly clear as the First, but Taylor could still feel it— a turbulent expanse of highs and lows stretching beneath every node, within her scope but beyond her reach. With half her lens submerged, she gave her node a second look, bracing herself for the oncoming torrent of feeling—

Fear→Taylor. Regret→Taylor. Guilt→Taylor. Hope→Taylor. Worry→Taylor. Help→Taylor. Listen→Taylor. Want→Taylor. Trust→Taylor. This time, the emotions were closer to suggestions, muted imitations of the real thing. She could make them out, clear enough to pick apart the nuances, but she couldn't feel them, not like she and Lisa had before. Whatever had happened when she'd snapped the knot had been a fluke. Or, at least, something she didn't know how to replicate. That was probably a good thing, if she was being honest—but those thoughts about her power were just noise, convenient static to stop her from facing what she could already feel, what she already knew.

Trust→Taylor. It wasn't nearly as strong as some of the others, a tenuous ripple of emotion, but it was there, warm and clear, reverberating in time as the nodes danced and flashed above. Taylor studied its shape as it crested and swelled, tracing the currents to other part's of Lisa's mind. The nodes she found were far from her own, though they'd occasionally slip closer, hovering on the fringes but never quite connecting:

Trust→can't→weak→betray→smart→puppet→Thinker→distance→leave→break→promise and on and on and on, a broken-glass spiral of rationalization and fear, twisting and jerking with the currents of Lisa's Web, but never breaking. The subshoots were so thick they must've been years in the making, fortified by a lifetime of manipulation and paranoia and worse...

But the feeling was still there, solid and undeniable, anchored to Taylor Anne Hebert with nothing but hope and raw conviction.

With the Web still stretched before her, Taylor let her lens drift. Everything seemed disjointed. She felt numb.

Lisa trusted her.

Lisa regretted hurting her.

Lisa worried about her.

In spite of every insult, every threat, every sharp-toothed smirk and mocking laugh—through the sparks, past the spines, beyond that deep-set veneer of too-smart-to-feel... by some miracle, she really, truly, actually cared.

The gun clattered to the floor.

"Why?" Taylor said, soft and strangled. "Why wait until now?" The rage was gone, reduced to a vivid burn mark in the back of her head, and in its place came crushing, sickening guilt. "Why not just tell me?"

Would I even have listened? Or would I have brushed her off? To stay safe, to keep control?

"Lisa," she began, still fighting her own throat for breath, "I… I'm sor—"

"Don't." Lisa shook her head. "At this point, either of us apologizing would just—well, things are fucking messy enough. Like, if I knew what I did now? Everything would've been different. Way, way different. But even being a pericog can't correct for ego." Pushing herself off the window, she began to pace, glancing at Taylor every second loop or so. "Right up until that alley, I underestimated you. Not your power—I've known how fucking scary that could be since, like, the second busride—but who you actually were. I looked at you getting off that bus, and all I saw was some punk-ass high schooler with the scariest Thinker kit in the city. Which makes me look just peachy, I know, a real fuckin' paragon of judgement... but I'm not gonna lie to the mind-reader. That kinda stuff happens when knowing what social buttons to press is literally the only reason you're still alive. But, turns out, being really, really good at making people do what you want sorta falls apart when all you want is to make a friend." She paused, her nose wrinkling in abject disgust. "...oh my God. I actually said that. Gag me with a fucking spoon."

They sort of froze after that, Lisa half grinning, Taylor half in shock, both looking not-quite-at each other. The sobriety of the situation teetered on the brink, tipping further with every passing second... and then Lisa cracked, the edge of her smile dissolving into peals of manic, exhausted laughter. Taylor fought for as long as she could, but soon she was laughing too—at Lisa, at herself, at the sheer fucked-up absurdity of the whole ordeal and because it was either that or kill something or cry, and once Lisa saw it spurred her on which just made things worse and it went on and on and on until Taylor's chest began to ache and Lisa's face was streaked with tears again and they'd collapsed on the floor, breathless, still occasionally giggling.

"Fuck...fucking hell," Lisa managed, supporting herself with one hand. "Our own little Hallmark moment." Her frazzled grin waned slightly. "...this doesn't make up for getting shot at, does it?"

"No," Taylor said, her own smile dropping. "Absolutely not." She wasn't laughing—the bubble of overserious teenage tension was gone, already popped—but things still felt lighter. With knives at each other's throats, they'd pulled away, drawing blood but nothing deeper.

"Darn." Lisa slowly got to her feet, looking mournful, then brightened. "What about coffee? Noon, Monday, your favorite place downtown?" Her face was pure innocence, almost masklike, just hopeful enough to be serious. Taylor studied it for a moment, unable to tell, then sighed in exasperation.

"Fuck you, Lisa."

"Not until the second date," she replied, raising her eyebrows. Taylor froze, a biting retort dying on her lips, and the other girl cackled. "Oh my God, I'm sorry, it's just... for someone who can play cat's-cradle with people's synapses on a fuckin' whim, you are really easy to fluster. And don't take that the wrong way—it's actually kinda refreshing." Lisa sidled over to the elevator, pressing her thumb to the sleek silver pad. "Like, so many capes are dead set on being literally anything besides the person they were, but you're just you, y'know? You're genuine."

Genuine. The word hooked itself in Taylor's mind, catching like a burr. Lisa was wrong, she thought, with a flush of shame. She didn't feel genuine. How could she, after years of staying quiet, blending in, enduring, keeping her hatred at a slow tarry boil until that inevitable day when it'd spark and catch and burn and the inferno would rise up and drown her—

"...Sure," she said, stiff and strained, letting her voice dam the tide. "Whatever you say." The elevator doors opened, revealing an interior of polished black marble, and she quickly stepped inside to face the wall.

"Hey, Taylor?"

Against her better judgement, she turned, watching Lisa's Web instead of her face. It thrummed happily, twisting and fluctuating, the nodes and shoots and waves free and alight and alive. With every link, the brightest ones would let off showers of sparks, going from gold to platinum to white…

Taylor→leave→now→broken→friend→try→wait→wish→fix→help→

"Good→luck."

Taylor felt the nodes as Lisa spoke them, the waves of the Second Web shifting beneath her lens, slowly rising into clarity—but the doors shut before they could, and Lisa's Web became a fuzzy, glowing smudge. The elevator began its descent, buttery-smooth, but she kept her lens fixed upward, watching the nodes paint luminescent trails inside her head until every last glimmer of gold had faded away.

END OF ARC I

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  24. Ack

Dem feels.

Shulta and Spiny like this.
  25. suntzu

suntzu Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

I normally don't comment, but wanted to tell you this is made me feel feels, great writing

Shulta likes this.
  26. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

This is cool.

Watching now.

27. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

First, I bring you offerings of typos and suggestions.

Repetitive buts.

Line break.

Line break.

More line break.

Yeah, I know, this site is a pain in the ass that always deletes double space. Trick: triple-space them, then it'll double-space on its own.

You use 'half an hour' a lot. Don't feel bad, I find myself deleting "of course" an average of once every other chapter written. We all have that bad habit, but we have to keep avoiding it.

I think that 'what' is an artifact of an edit. Or the 'how much' is.

Redundant that.

Tense problems.

Should be 'every'.

Dat'll be tree fiddy. Also: why the fuck didn't anyone tell me about this fic? Some of you people know me, are aware I love these psychological character study stories! Plus the whole language-geek part (kinda hoping we see more of that in the future). Why was I denied this gem until now? :(

Aight, and now for something more serious- and advanced- writing improvement techniques. Which I offer to you because A: I love these beauties and cherish them whenever they are bestowed upon me, so now I bestow them upon you. And B: You are good. 'Almost ready for original fiction' levels of good- and I'm kinda jealous, because I've never been able to write a voice for telepathic abilities, yet here you are doing it like a master. So, yeah, have the advice I can offer.

1- Killing the excess adverbs. As a good rule of thumb, unless it's character dialogue (because people don't speak perfect grammar- though given Taylor's ability, maybe she should), never use a word that ends in 'ly'. Nor qualifiers like almost, perhaps, most, sometimes and so forth. It's a rule that can be broken, but "mostly" it's just wasted words.

2- Also a good rule is either go with 'ing' or 'ed', but avoid both in the same sentence, or paragraph if you can manage.

3- Delete all usages of 'this' that you can.

4- And if there's one word that will replace an entire sentence worth of material- use that word.

Take this paragraph (which I picked because it lets me demonstrate each example at the same time).

The keyhole view of Lisa's Web brightened, invited, no, begged Taylor to pull it open and dive inside. The instinct was there, that was for sure; it felt unnatural, only a fraction of the scope and depth of information she was used to, but she fought the urge. The shutter lifted, revealed the helter-skelter architecture of Lisa's brain. It was tedious, but also better than puking herself into unconsciousness a second time. Most things were.

Both sentences deliver the same details and meaning, but my edits take 101 word down to 79, which not only increases your word-to-impact ratio (re: Information Entropy), it's also lazier and lets write more of your story with the same amount of effort!

And who doesn't love an opportunity to be lazier and get the same amount of work done?

28. Spiny

Spiny Making the rounds.

Oh gosh, wow, okay. I promise I will find time to more thoroughly respond to this later, but for now, I just want to make it clear that I'm really happy you like the story, and I'm very, very grateful you took the time to write this up.

Jax, Ack and TanaNari like this.
  29. Tortoise

Tortoise Know what you're doing yet?

There are common constructions using both, especially "He did something, causing something as a side effect", where the thing caused was not a separate action but a consequence of what he did directly. Like "He kicked the pillar, breaking it in two". In your example, I think "The shutter lifted, revealing..." would be more natural.

ShadowStepper1300, Ack and TanaNari like this.
  30. Aeodyn

Aeodyn Unrepentant Deviant

The other feedback is pretty good, but it really seems that this part doesn't work. "Inviting" in the original was more used to describe "flickered brighter" then as a verb by itself. I think "inviting" works fine here, or there's another way to do it.
    Also, wooo, information entropy! :D

Edit: Apparently didn't see, or was Ninja'ed by Tortoise. The above post of theirs is also what I mean for that part.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Ack and TanaNari like this.