1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Skittering Hollow (Bleach/Worm)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Planeshunter, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Planeshunter

Planeshunter [Verified Slimegirl Whisperer]

Man I keep catching myself trying to influence the votes and deleting my loadaded comments right before sending them.

By all means, discuss your options. If something makes you want to change your vote, remember you just need to edit your voting post.

2. MrMig

MrMig Making the rounds.

[X][Destination] The End of the World.

3. redaeth

redaeth Stubborn pedantrist

Everyone knows there is a restaurant at the End of the World.

4. MysticReaper

MysticReaper Getting out there.

[X][Destination] Cover.

5. Demetric

Demetric Know what you're doing yet?

6. Metoto21

Metoto21 Not too sore, are you?

7. lazyminx

lazyminx Slayer

[X][Destination] Cover.

8. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

[X][Destination] Screw this.

Tunnel to (a) Earth.

9. Planeshunter

Alright, ladies and gents! the vote is now closed!

Vote Tally : Skittering Hollow (Bleach/Worm) | Questionable Questing [Posts: 23-38]
    ##### NetTally 2.2.3
    Task: Destination
    [X][Destination] Cover.
    No. of Votes: 5
    No. of Votes: 5
    [X] Jeff Roy
    [X] Demetric
    [X] Metoto21
    [X] MrMig
    [X] redaeth
    [X][Destination] Ambush.
    No. of Votes: 1
    [X][Destination] Civilization.
    [X][Destination] Screw this.
    [X] Biigoh

Total No. of Voters: 13

And... we have a tie. I have no idea what to do with a tie. I can't believe I didn't even consider ties before.
    Remember that 'QM has no idea what he's doing' tag? Well, this is a perfect example.
    I won't get on writing the next part just yet, so if you guys have any suggestions? I'll flip a coin otherwise.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  10. redaeth

A coin or QM's choice. Which option is more appealing to write?

11. MrMig

MrMig Making the rounds.

You could try to mix the two, like take cover but decide to go in the direction of the end of the world

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  12. Threadmarks: Larva 1.02 - Towards the Eldritch Horizon! But safely.
    Planeshunter

Tie! Compatible options will now be merged!
    [X][Destination] Cover.

Right. I’m way too exposed here. Not only my stupid juicy body doesn’t mimetice at all with this weird-ass white sand, but the passionately red tips of my gorgeous hair stand out like a kick in the shin. So yeah, the forest it is. More or less enclosed space, tridimensional terrain and last but not least, an all-you-can-munch leaf buffet. It’s a caterpillar paradise!

Buuuut… I really want to check out those black clouds in the distance. I mean, it could be anything from a necromantic barrier of impending doom to the eldritch emanations from some lovecraftian fracture in reality. Or maybe just volcanic activity. The only thing I can discard out of hand are ponies, since there isn’t a single rainbow in sight. Which is good, because fuck ponies.

So the plan is to get into the forest ASAP, and then safely make my way towards there. I mean, whatever it is, it covers half the horizon. I can totally get there through the forest. What’s the worst thing that could happen? That I get lost? Psah!

Now with a solid plan, I start walking towards the trees.

… Actually, can you call it a walk, when you’re a semi-upright caterpillar using four stubby legs for movement? Hell if I know.

The first thing I notice is how inconvenient said stubby legs are for sand walking. Everytime I walk up a dune I need to dig deep on every step just to avoid slipping back down. And that’s with four of the things. I shudder to think how this would work walking on two legs.

The second thing I notice is how convenient my smooth and streamlined body is for sand slipping. Once I crest a dune, I can just belly-flop and fall all the way down without any effort. Weee!

Dune up, dune down. Weeee!

Still, this is quite the workout. The forest is close-ish, but only compared to other landmarks. And I’m working even more of an appetite. I can’t wait to reach those tasty, freshy, yummy leaves and munch my hunger away.

Hell, that doesn’t sound appetizing even in my own mind. I hope I grow accustomed to it, or being a weird-ass angry caterpillar is going to suck. Maybe that’s why I look so angry? Cuz eating leaves suck?

Dune up, dune down. Weeee!

It can’t be so bad, can it? I mean, millions of other caterpillars have done it before, and most of them survived just fine. Actually, most of them died horribly to feed predators, or starved because they ran out of leaves, or got poisoned trying to munch something covered in insecticide… And now I’m depressed.

Anyway, mind on the game. Dune up, dune do… Oh shiny!

There’s a… well, it’s hard to describe what I’ve just found. Looks like the bastard child of a christmas tree and a street lamp. If such christmas tree was one of the pathetic withered things growing around here. And the street lamp had a cold, because the lights are dripping something. Still looks pretty, and smells really good.

I reach the… plant? What’s something like this even doing here? Why nothing has eaten this pretty attention-grabbing fella? I mean, I get this place looks empty and all, but there’s a reason why I’m looking for cover. There’s even a circle of stones around it. It’s almost like this tree is here explicitly to... attract… you.

… This is a trap, isn’t it?

Big shiny thing to attract unsuspecting innocent caterpillars with more curiosity than sense? Check.

Location in a valley of dunes where all my attempts to get away will be hindered by pesky physics? Check.

Conveniently placed circle of stones that are kinda sharp-looking now that I pay attention and are totally teeth? Check.

Is this going to suck? Oh, you can bet my juicy brown ass.

Uh… better jump away from the circle, then.

As if to make me right, the sand explodes in front of me right as I clear the area, missing the tip of my gorgeous mane by a matter of millimeters. Then I don’t see anything else because I find myself in the middle of a dust cloud. But I keep recoiling. Because duh. I’m not standing there to see what happens.

When the clouds finally settle, I find myself in front of a huge ass… Uh… Masked… Monkfish… Mutant… thingie. With a christmas tree for tongue. Because that’s now a thing, apparently.

“Yup, a trap.” I can’t help but snark in dismay. “Totally called it.”

And then it swells like a balloon and roars in my face. Dude, rude...

Encountering a desert blowmonkfish has blown your mind (pun intended)! You’re now more open to the weird shit that comes down in this crazy place. On the other hand, you’re starting to wonder what that sanity thing is about, you’d really love to meet it at some point.

Choose your reaction:

Flight.
    The better part of valor. You might be on a strategically poor position, but you can still beat it. Actually, being on a strategically poor position is all the more reason to beat it. That thing is five times your size!
    Fight. Yeah, if that thing has to hide and ambush it can’t be all that strong. It’s probably all bluster. And even if it isn’t, it’s not like you’ll just turn tail and run like a… something that turns tail and runs.
    Banter. You can try and… talk it over? You don’t even know if that thing can talk. You, in fact, have reasons to suspect it only has the intellect of a particularly smart toad. And that’s a generous estimate. But you still can try. You could taunt it, or insult its face until it breaks down crying, or go all diplomatic and try to avoid a fight at all.

[X][React] Flight.
    [X][React] Fight.
    [X][React] Banter.
    -[X][Banter] Trash-talk.
    --[X][Trash-talk] How? Write-in (short write-ins, no longer than a single sentence).
    -[X][Banter] Negotiate.
    --[X][Negotiate] How? Write-in (short write-ins, no longer than a single sentence).

-[X][Banter] Roll over and beg for mercy Yeah, no. (Vote negated by Trait - Rise to the Challenge.)

[X][Write-in]

In case you fight, choose your weapons (This vote will pop up the first time you fight no matter what, you’re not missing anything by avoiding a fight here) Pick two.

Disparo Demora (String Shot).
    You’re a caterpillar, right? Caterpillars produce silk! Granted, they normally only use it for custom-made sleeping bags, but normality jumped ship two posts ago. And look at all the cool shit spiderman can do with silk strings!!
    Punto Veneno (Toxic Point). If there’s one thing children learn about caterpillars, that’s not to touch the hairy ones. Because they’re poisonous. And you have killer hair. Maybe literally? The only problem is getting close enough to try, and how much it’ll suck if it doesn’t work.
    Placaje (Tackle). Keep it simple. Bodily hitting the problem until it goes away is a time-honored tradition of the animal realm. You might be 90% tender squishiness, but you forehead is a solid bone plate. You can make it work. Probably. Maybe.
    Malicioso (Leer). You look pretty badass, don’t you? That with the shining red eyes and the perpetually angry facial expression. You can totally weaponize that and intimidate your enemy into submission.
    Zumbido (Bug Buzz). You’re pretty sure you can somehow vibrate your body to produce a disorienting buzzing sound that would… do something? Okay, you have no idea where this idea came from. But crickets make it work, don’t they?
    Chupavidas (Leech Life). Man turns out walking dunes up and down while starving doesn’t make hunger go away. In fact it makes it worse. Why, you feel so empty you feel like you can project your very hunger outwards, and slowly consume the fucker from a distance. I… I mean… Ugh, hunger is obviously making you delirious.
    Ataque Arena (Sand Attack). Use the environment against your enemies. That’s Sun Tzu level tactics, no way it can go wrong! Even if you only have sand at hand, and your enemy lives in the sand. Maybe you can nail him in the eye or something?

[X][Weapon] Disparo Demora
    [X][Weapon] Punto Veneno
    [X][Weapon] Placaje
    [X][Weapon] Malicioso
    [X][Weapon] Zumbido
    [X][Weapon] Chupavidas
    [X][Weapon] Ataque Arena

PS: I think a stats sheet is becoming more and more relevant, will try to wip up something soon.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  13. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

[X][React] Fight.

More bugman than spiderman, but still awesome.

14. Planeshunter

You can pick two Weapon.

conwear267 and mrttao like this.
  15. Hapapai

Hapapai Know what you're doing yet?

[X][React] Fight
    [X][Weapon] Chupavidas
    [X][Weapon] Punto Veneno

16. MrMig

MrMig Making the rounds.

[X][React] Fight.
    [X][Weapon] Chupavidas
    Nothing better than an all you can eat buffet

17. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

oh, thank you

[X][React] Fight.
    [X][Weapon] Placaje

Spiderman like strings give us mobility, crowd control, and construction ability out of combat, both traps and shelter.

Just hitting things comboes well with it, immobilize the enemy and then hit them when they can't fight back. its dangerous if we just go for hitting alone, but the strings give us the crowd control to make it safe. A nice combo build.

Moreover we can probably use strings to escape if things go south

18. Argentis

Argentis Lord of Cinders (retired)

[X][React] Fight.
    [X][Weapon] Chupavidas

19. redaeth

[X][React] Fight.
    [X] Disparo Demora (String Shot)
    [X] Chupavidas (Leech Life).

20. Metoto21

Metoto21 Not too sore, are you?

[X][React] Fight.
    [X][Weapon] Chupavidas

Silk for tying enemies up, moving ourself etc. and life drain to kill the tied up enemies. That's a solid starting strategy.

21. globalwarmth

globalwarmth ruining the weather.

[X][React] retreating banter

22. MysticReaper

MysticReaper Getting out there.

[X][React] Fight.
    [X][Weapon] Chupavidas

23. Demetric

Demetric Know what you're doing yet?

[X][React] Fight
    [X][Weapon] Chupavidas
    [X][Weapon] Punto Veneno

24. Threadmarks: Larva 1.03 - How I hogtied a christmas tree and sucked his balls dry.
    Planeshunter

Yeah, I’ve apparently screwed up somewhere because the Tally counted every different combination of [Weapon] as a different vote. Still a lot of help, but it wasn’t the immediate answer I was hoping for. Anyone know how to manage that or whether it’s possible at all? Counting the votes for each [Weapon] instead of the votes for each combination of them, I mean.
    On another note, I saw the way the wind was blowing and it's been a quiet day at work, so have the chapter now.

[X][React] Fight.
    -[X][Weapon] Disparo Demora
    -[X][Weapon] Chupavidas

Well, here we are.

In front of a disgusting scaleless land-capable fish monster mutant thing wearing the sort of mask one only buys in a town festival while very drunk and then buries in the back of a wardrobe because it costed way too much to just throw away but you refuse to acknowledge it exists. And would probably give you nightmares if you hanged it on a wall anyway.

And to top it off, it has a christmas tree for a tongue. That even now still smells stupidly tasty. My stomach grumbles and I can’t believe I’m going to slug it out with a guy five times my size and probably twenty times my weight.

But he just tried to eat me. And then he roared in my friggin’ face! I can’t let that stand. And running away isn’t strategically sound when it involves stubby legs climbing walls of sand. But specially the roaring in the face thing.

Just a problem. How am I supposed to hurt him? I’m just a squishy caterpillar!

Before I can form anything resembling a battle plan, the Monster Fish Oaf (Mofo for short, from now on) rushes at me, which let me tell you, it’s all sorts of scary.

For a moment, I just stand there frozen. I mean, shit, the Mofo is fast! And heavy enough for the ground to tremble with each step. Then he opens his mouth wide and I finally recover enough wits to jump back again. Only I was too startled to keep track of what I had behind and land awkwardly on a slope.

Keep in mind your surroundings!

I slide down straight into his mouth, and barely manage to dodge by jumping again, right this time to avoid another awkward landing. This isn’t working, the Mofo is gaining on me and I’m not really any danger to him just dodging. I need to be more aggressive. But how?

Pressure your enemy, don’t let him set the pace!

As the Mofo moves to face me again. My eyes focus on his left fore limb. He’s loading his whole weight on it to complete the turn as quickly as possible. And that’s an opening right there.

Capitalize on every weakness!

Instincts take over. Before I know what I’m doing I’ve raised my juicy butt over my head and shot something white and sticky that quickly hardens upon hitting his leg. Holy shit I have spinnerets? I have spinnerets! And I can shoot webs like… someone who can shoot webs! I’m a spider-bug!!

… Shut up.

My excitement dies a swift death when the Mofo completely ignores my attack and pounces on me again, this time connecting with a solid tackle that sends me flying. Crapcrapcrap! I was so busy celebrating I didn’t even notice there’s only sand on the ground. I have nothing to stick him to. Stupid stupid stupid!!

Never lose sight of the enemy!

I’m… I’m fine. My side hurts like a bitch, but I can still move. Shit, that could’ve killed me. No, nevermind that now. I can berate myself later, when there’s no Mofo trying to have caterpillar carpaccio for dinner. As he charges again. I shoot my strings at his eyes while jumping away. Hmm… my butt has a lot more mobility and strength than expected. I think I can use it to jump even higher.

Okay, now’s my chance! He’s blind and his fin-legs aren’t long enough to reach his eyes!

I just need to be careful not to get hit by random trashing and… My stomach grumbles again, and for a moment my hunger becomes so intense I can feel it like a solid, physical thing inside of me. It’s not a pretty thing, and it’s getting stronger, but I can still shrug it off.

Unfortunately, my momentary faint spell means I wasn’t harassing the Mofo, and he’s decided to be a cheating cheater who cheats by removing my webs from his eyes with his friggin’ tongue. How’s that fair?

Give it everything you have. Lie, deceive, cheat. If you’re fighting fair you’re already losing.

Whatever, I have a working tactic now. I just need to play keep-away while stringing at him like a bunch of kids with wet rolls of toilet paper and a grudge. That and keep my hunger in check before it distracts me again. And try not to flinch when I have to put my weight in my bruised flank. Easy.

...Actually, it is easy. As I finally notice something. The Mofo is… dumb. Sure, it has his moments, like that dick move with the tongue to un-blind himself. But overall he can only try the same moves over and over again, hoping I mess up because he can’t mix in some feints for his life’s worth.

And sure, I’m getting more tired and hungry by the second, but he’s looking less and less like a Mofo and more like a ball of yarn. His mistake was to just break the threads that restrict his joints and ignore the rest. Just because they harden out of my body doesn’t mean they stop being sticky, and they do stack up.

He can break a thread just fine, but two? Seven? Seventy-two? You fucked up, Mofo, should’ve kept eating them instead.

Finish him. A fight isn’t over until it’s over.

I lurch over in pain, and everything goes red.

So. Fucking. Hungry!

Choose your action.

[X][Action]FEED
    [X][Action]FEED
    [X][Action]FEED
    [X][Action]FEED

So! You’ve lost control and devoured the enemy to sate your own appetites! How do you feel about it?

Horror.
    Oh, shit! You’re a monster! A hungry monster that will devour babies and old ladies if you’re ever released upon the human world! You must hold back the beast to the best of your abilities, you must be kept away from society in case you ever lose control again!!
    Determination. What just happened cannot happen again. Period. It’s your mind, it’s your body and you can be fucking sure it’s your instics. And they’ll do what you tell them to do. You just need to reinforce your willpower.
    Ambivalent … Meh. Shit happens, you know? You’re alive and he’s dead. Could be better, could be worse. You’ll deal.
    Grit. You… did what you had to do. You’re not happy that the choice to kill was taken away from you like that, but you were starving and your instincts were just trying to keep you alive. You’re not going to apologize for surviving.

[X][Cope] Horror.
    [X][Cope] Determination.
    [X][Cope] Ambivalent.
    [X][Cope] Grit.

You have unlocked a new Power! Disparo Demora Lv. 1/10
    You have unlocked a new Power! Chupavidas Lv. 1/10
    Congratulations! You’ve defeated the Mofo and consumed his Essence (pun very much intended).
    You have gained 56600 Existence Essence!
    Power Level Up! You’re now level 8!
    Oblivion Compensation! You’ve lost 1355 Existence Essence!
    You have become aware of a Weakness: Oblivion Compensation!

Granted by Species - Hollow: You gradually lose Existence Essence simply by staying alive. If your Existence Essence becomes zero and Oblivion Compensation triggers again, your Power Level will decrease by 1. This can undo Hollow evolutionary stages, but a baseline Hollow cannot go below 5 while in Hueco Mundo, and will quickly recover up to that point upon returning from outside. ????? or ????? will nullify this Weakness.

Character Sheet now available in Extras!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  25. bobbya1

bobbya1 Not too sore, are you?

[X] Determination.

!Renzie0 likes this.
  26. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Just need to tell nettally to partition by line. like so
    Vote Tally : Skittering Hollow (Bleach/Worm) | Page 2 | Questionable Questing [Posts: 43-53]
    ##### NetTally 3.0.3
    Task: React
    [X][React] Fight.
    No. of Votes: 8
    [X][React] retreating banter

Task: Weapon
    [X][Weapon] Chupavidas
    No. of Votes: 7
    No. of Votes: 6
    [X][Weapon] Punto Veneno
    No. of Votes: 2
    [X][Weapon] Placaje
    [X] mrttao

Total No. of Voters: 9
    ===
    hilarious

!Renzie0 and Planeshunter like this.
  27. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

[Action]FEED
    [Cope] Grit.

!Renzie0 likes this.
  28. Hapapai

Hapapai Know what you're doing yet?

[X][Cope] Grit

29. MrMig

MrMig Making the rounds.

[Cope] Grit.

30. Planeshunter

Will try that when I get home. Thanks!

On another note, I've got Battle Against a True Hero stuck in my head all day. So I've decided to take it as a sign to make it official. If our brave caterpillar is ever to heroically die protecting someone, that'll be the BGM.

Otto von Saurion and mrttao like this.