• A notice about Rule 3 regarding sites hosting pirated/unauthorized content has been made. Please see here for details.
  • Staff is working to deal with the problem of synonymous tags. See here for more information and to suggest tag mergers.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.

Star Trek The Next Generation The Gift: A Star Trek SI

Status
I got the call from the oncologist on Friday afternoon. Both scans were negative in terms of any new growth. The second nodule is still around the same length as it was three months around 1.4 cm. I have a TEENY cluster of them near the middle of my bottom throat upper chest but they think those will dissolve. The CAT scan showed nothing anyone was worried about so that means I've now graduated to the six month check up stage. So I'll be doing this again in March of '27. He is referring me to a colleague...I've forgotten what their title is...and doesn't appear to be imminent as I didn't immediately get a booking call from the office for it. So everything on THAT side of the body is honky dory right now.

Moving is still in flux. I am now in my final month at the house---or at least that is the intent. I am still not going to submit my notice until after we've secured a place. My roommate has moved out and is staying at one of their friends house. If I happen to find something on my own, he's fine with that but we'd both prefer to still find something together. So this is going to be on hiatus until after I move and am settled down---which means likely the fall time. I'd like to resume this to time it with Star Trek's 60th Anniversary in Sep, but we'll see.
 
Chapter 103: Forged Into Steel
Paramount-SkyDance Own Star Trek. For Entertainment Purposes Only. Non-Profit.

The fog rolled across San Francisco bay, creating a near misty illusion as I entered Vice-Admiral Sarah Cooper's office. The office was---spartan---Sarah was a practical person. Highly analytical which is why Alynna had promoted her. Cooper had been in SI since she was a raw, newly graduated Cadet. She had wanted a different path than her crewmates which immediately got her flagged by the agency as a top recruit. It has paid off for her all these decades later as the second most powerful person within the division. Somehow we've established this strange rapport we have.

"Welcome home, Mr. Young. I trust your trip was uneventful." Sarah greets

"It was. You still look surprised that I'm here."

"I am. I thought you'd back out. I'm slightly impressed that you haven't."


"What do you want from me, Admiral, why am I here?"

"Your future knowledge has been, frankly wasted with what you've been doing on the Enterprise these past six years. Starfleet Intelligence, had we had our way from the start, would have recruited you and used that knowledge to enact policy changes that would have accelerated your grand plans for the galaxy ten fold. Instead---you wanted to use that to have adventures on the Enterprise. All well and good. No one knows better than you the dangers the galaxy poses. You have claimed that you want to get us ready for war, but you're not a solider, you've experienced dreadful things---yes---but you have no idea what is truly out there. I intend to remove the veil."

She punched up a holographic sphere that showed a map of the galaxy including all the hot botton galactic powers. A green dot brightens over Bajor, a tiny white dot represents Deep Space Nine, and a serious of dots near the station represent the Wormhole. Cooper then brings up profiles of former Minister Jarro Essa. Vedek Winn Adami. Li Nalas, along with Ro, and Sisko.

"You want to know why you are standing in this room now, Adam? THIS is why. Your decision to expose the Circle by sending Lieutenant Ro that data file on the Circle you had compiled was a fundamental shift in your line of thinking. Up until that point, your actions and specifically how you decided those actions were made with meticulous, calculating thinking---i.e. you were overly cautious about everything you decided to. But something changed when you chose to hit the terminal button that day. That day---you became an Intelligence asset without knowing it."

I frown.

"Let me continue. After the Circle had been dismantled, Jaro and Winn's activities were exposed and shut down...and Li Nalas was asked to step up to help his people once again, to end the legend, and be a real inspiration---your little beautiful mind went to places it was forced to go, the bigger picture, Mr. Young. You began to suspect a...conspiracy. Not just any conspiracy, perhaps the biggest conspiracy facing our generation and the one before it---why we chose to do nothing to help the Bajorans. From your conversations with our erstwhile boss, you learned of her attempts to warn Starfleet Command---the evidence she and her slain partner attempted to provide---and were told to ignore, the Prime Directive was invoked and younger Lt. Nechavyev was quieted. But now she's running around on an investigation that has even the slightest possible chance of being true to see if there are moles planed deep within the foundation of the organization sworn to protect the Federation. All of that is Intelligence operative thinking, Adam. I've read your psyche profile. I have read ALL the reports on you from your colleagues. You've been doing Intel work this entire time and not known it. THAT is why you're here today. That is why we want to use you." Cooper explained.

The Sphere changed to a profile of me. The reprogrammed Borg nanites running through my blood stream. Giving me status as an "above advanced human". Cooper flashes that shark teeth smile of hers and I shiver slightly.

"These---separate you from everyone else. They regenerated your foot, have healed your broken, chronic ailed body, and created something that has been wallowing around. They give you an edge Adam. You need to take advantage of this. The others see what happened as a tragedy that happened that needs to be overcome, we see you for what you truly could become. A living weapon. Accelerated healing. Enhanced reflexes. We're going to refocus you into forged steel, Mr. Young."


Ignoring Sarah's recruitment push I instead respond differently.

"On Risa, I revealed that I scared. You told me you would train the fear out of me. I'm ready to begin." I say with arms relaxed behind my back.

Cooper tapped a small control on her desk. Instantly, the high-arched windows overlooking San Francisco Bay shattered into raw, cascading blocks of green light. The sleek mahogany desk, the secure terminals, and the pristine Starfleet Headquarters walls dissolved into thin air. The simulation rezzed into existence around them with dizzying speed, replacing the office with a dark, rain-slicked alien metropolis underbelly. Neon signs in broken Orion language buzzed overhead, casting long, erratic shadows across a damp, debris-strewn alleyway. I immediately become alert.

"Meet your handler and prepare to defend yourself, recruit." Cooper orders

I stagger back slightly, my boots splashing in a pool of holo generated water. A figure emerged wearing an all black tactical jumpsuit...a figure with striking blonde hair I immediately recognized.

"Ishara?!!"

Ishara didn't respond though, closing the distance between us with a speed I hadn't anticipated. She lunges forward with a brutal, snapping kick aimed right at my sternum. I throw up my arms in a double cross block, absorbing the impact, but the sheer force of her momentum skidded my boots across the wet pavement. Ishara didn't give me a second to breathe. She pivoted seamlessly on her heel, using the recoil of the block to whip a backfist directly at my jaw. I ducked under the strike, the rushing wind of her fist whistling past my ear. I stepped into her guard, attempting to utilize standard Starfleet security grappling techniques to lock her arm. But Ishara wasn't a standard Starfleet opponent. She was raised in the lawless pits, and gang wars of Turkana IV. She countered by driving her forehead straight into Adam's nose.

"Fuck..." I breathe out winded

White-hot pain flashed across me , but as blood began to trickle from me nose, the reprogrammed nanites swarmed the injury, numbing the pain receptors and instantly sealing the ruptured capillaries. Beverly and Data had programmed them to instantly begin regenerating any ailment or injury they detected upon it occurring. I catch Ishara by the vest before she could disengage, twisting my hips to execute a heavy, battlefield hip-throw. Ishara slammed into the rain-slicked ground with a heavy thud, but she rolled backward with the impact, sweeping her leg in a wide, vicious arc. Her boot caught Adam behind the ankle, taking his legs out from under me.

I hit the pavement hard, rolling instinctively to avoid a lethal, descending heel-drop that cracked the simulated concrete where his head had been a fraction of a second prior. He sprang back to his feet, slipping into a tight, low tactical stance. I start panting, and wipe the blood from my face.

"Not bad old man." Ishara flashes that grin at me

"What...the...hell...Ishara?"!!" I exclaim

She relaxes her pose while explaining her journey.

"I wasn't fitting in, in spite of your gracious encouragement," Ishara replied, stepping back to roll out her shoulders. "I needed focus. My experiences and time on Turkana... overwhelmed me at times. I was a pain in the arse to my professors. This got word back to SI—they recruited me and... well... I feel at home at last."

She dropped back into a low brawling stance, a cold, challenging glimmer in her eyes. "Now I have to deal with you. What was Lieutenant Morani doing with you on the Enterprise? Doing kid fighting sessions? You're good, but you're lazy. I know you don't want to hurt anyone, but you're not on the Enterprise anymore, recruit—we go again. Push yourself, trainee."


"Alright...round two it is." I say and then kick into Batman mode.

I closed my eyes for a fraction of a second, retreating into a highly structured mind palace. In that mental space, the training halls of the Enterprise-D materialized. I saw Lieutenant Morani's fluid, defensive Aikido stances. He saw Worf's brutal, uncompromising Mok'bara katas. I tore down the rigid barriers dividing the styles, fusing them into a singular, predatory flow designed for the gutter. I then opened my eyes and do Neo and Morpheus hand gesture to Ishara.

"Let's dance."
Ishara was already in mid-air, driving a flying knee toward my jaw. Must register that as a favourite move of hers. Adam didn't block. He pivoted under her trajectory with the low, sweeping grace of a Klingon martial artist, letting her momentum carry her past me. As she landed, I stepped into her blind spot, launching a brutal elbow strike that cracked hard against her tactical shoulder plate.

Ishara grunted, spinning instantly with a lethal capoeira-style kick aimed at my temple. I slipped the blow by millimeters, my mind palace calculating her recovery time in real-time.I caught her extended leg, using her own Turkana momentum to drive her backward into a pile of simulated cargo crates. The wood shattered with a deafening crack. Ishara bounced back out of the wreckage like a cornered wildcat. She lunged with a blinding flurry of straight punches, her fists moving in a blur of street-fighting fury. I shifted into a tight, textbook Boxing guard, tucking my chin. I absorbed three heavy blows to my forearms, parried a fourth, and then exploded forward. I then drove a vicious palm-strike directly into her sternum—a technique Worf had taught me to shatter an opponent's center of gravity.


The impact knocked the wind from Ishara's lungs, sending her skidding five feet across the wet pavement. She dropped to one knee, clutching her chest, gasping for air as the rain poured over her face.

I stood over her, my breathing heavy, my hands raised in a low, adaptive stance that belonged to no specific academy handbook. For the first time, I wasn't holding back out of fear of hurting someone. I was fighting to survive. I then turn to face Admiral Cooper.

"End program." She orders

"IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?!" I roar with my Batman voice.

"It is a start." She says and leaves the two of us in the holdodeck.

A new, different, beginning has begun.
 
Last edited:
Found One!
I found a new place today, and took it! So now moving can officially begin. It's technically not available until Sep 1st, but I explained my current situation to the landlord and that I'm planning on leaving under duress, so he mentioned he'll see how he can accommodate that. I do not have a lot of personal effects, so it's an easy move, my friend is going to be helping me, and I can stay at my parents until I am able to assume control of the room. But everything is finally looking up.
 
Life Update New
Hello Everyone.

First of all the second move into my new place from my parents went extremely well. We were done within three hours. I'm about 90 percent unpacked. The room is much bigger than I thought...it's probably another two or three foot than the room I just left last month. My roommate couldn't be more nicer or generous. Has said if there's literally anything that I need, including appliances he will get it for me, I just have to ask.

The biggest thing that has happened though this past weekend is I've experienced a hell of a transformation. Long story short---I've had a year and a half's worth of neck torque and chronic conditions undone in three consecutive physio sessions over the course of three weeks. The last two weeks has seen the effect of that take hold as I've been literally almost a 100 percent uncoiled in a weekend. On Thursday morning I experienced something I've never felt before that resembled my original Vertigo incident from six years ago---a total neurological systematic overload that lasted about a half hour, and a full two hours to recover from. I would not wish that on anyone. I've felt like I'm in that gene sequencer from "The Fifth Element" as my body literally has remade itself in a fly.

I've lost at least a pant size. Re-straightened and am in the "settling" phase of the re-structure. Tomorrow is when I'm supposed to able to resuming normal activities. I feel like a completely different person. It has been mentally and physically exhausting and my physio is in for a huge surprise when he sees me at the end of next week. We weren't expecting this to happen this fast---but the last two sessions he did serious adjustments that were the key---and my body was able to do the rest.

I am happy. I am content for the first time in years....and am a near clean slate.

What does this mean for this? It means I'll be resuming this in a week or so. I've also started two more stories that I will be posting at the end of the year. A TOS one that busts up the timeline---it's the most aggressive I've ever been---and what was originally meant to be my VERY first SI six years ago----"AdamLock" which is probably my most different take on my universe of SI's.

That's what we all have to look forward to! Hope all are well, and SI Adam's SI adventures are about to resume shortly!
 
Chapter 104: What Am I Doing Here? New
Paramount-SkyDance Own Star Trek. For Entertainment Purposes Only. Non-Profit.

It had been two weeks since I walked into Sarah's holographic test and was blind sided with Ishara as my handler. Two weeks undergoing a modified Intelligence boot camp, filled with all the spy trope training you could imagine. A crash course in how not to conduct yourself in public when doing bad things. Little tricks. I wanted to talk to Ishara, ask her so many questions but she was perfect for this assignment, this job, and Intelligence knew it. The upbringing and training from Turkanka IV, combined with her recent Academy experience made her the perfect person for them. I had saved her from one hellish nightmare only for Starfleet to place her into another one....but I admit that is just my own personal bias forming my opinion here. Ishara has been an exceptional teacher.

I step foot into Admiral Sarah Cooper's REAL San Francisco office located on Level One of Starfleet Headquarters. Alynna's office is down the hall. I stand at ease. Cooper is sitting relaxed at her chair reading a report. She looks up.

"Ensign."

"Admiral...you have me for precisely five months and two odd weeks before I need to report to Daystrom. I haven't read a single report, had a briefing or mission from Yar or yourself during that time. I get that I'm undergoing training---but you didn't bring me all this way to train, or to physically push my body. What. Am. I. Doing here, Sarah?" I ask

"You are here Ensign Young, because the original timeline you knew has started to break thanks to your machinations. You can deny that all you want to but the facts speak for themselves. At the beginning recommending and developing the Borg Virus in an attempt to in theory wipe them out, attempting to iron out the Defiant's original technical issues, your not so subtle moving of pieces into their proper places. Most recently the decision to send Sisko your knowledge on how to dismantle the Circle and Jarro. I happen to know you have ongoing agendas, there will be consequences and ripples from those as well."

She pauses.

"So what are you doing here? The Cardassians are in full blown panic mode since you made Alynna aware of your little conspiracy theory. They've gone uncharacteristically silent since the withdraw from Bajor. We know based your threat assessment report that will not last and Dukat will take advantage of this situation and rise into a position of power. You aren't here to be a standard field op. We recruited you to be our premier Anomaly Specialist. When fractures happen---even in a five month period gap, you'll be dropped in to help fix it." She taps a button.

I blink. This can't possibly be real. I muse.

A holographic interface was activated showing the USS Hathaway---yes THAT Hathaway.

"Two days ago, a deep space monitoring station near the Badlands picked up an unique subspace signature, one belonging to the USS Hathaway, the same ship that was used in the War Games that Starfleet had ordered and then foolishly abandoned a few years ago. The problem is that the ship is currently decommissioned and reported confirmed at it's docking bay at Qualor II." Cooper reports

"You suspect the Maquis?" I ask still questioning this

"We believe that the Maquis have plans to steal the Hathaway and either repurpose it for their own means as part of their mothballed fleet. You and Ishara will report to Deep Space Nine to meet with our---" I cut off her now

"Sarah...please. The Maquis have been dead in the water for the last few months since Ro chose to not betray the Federation and remain with Starfleet, and before you continue to argue with me about this---Cal Hudson, Chakotay, the other cells---yes they have competent people running their organization, but Ro was the key. The Old Man knew what was doing when he played up his sympathies for Laren, he knew she would be the perfect person that would galvanize their people and train them...and she did. But now that has been butterflied, the Maquis are reduced to a squabbling, unorganized, fringe group, that hopefully will remain nothing more than a footnote in history---rather than the cohesive, effective fighting force Ro would turn them into." I reply folding my arms and Cooper laughs

"Damn it. I told Alynna you wouldn't take the bait. She insisted on the scenario anyway. She wanted to see if your meta-knowledge made you arrogant enough to believe an operational anomaly blindly, or if your analytical instincts would hold up under pressure."

I sigh.

"Admiral Cooper. Enough. With. The Games. What mission...do you have for me?" I switch into the annoyed Batman voice

Cooper drops her face and punches in a sequence and up comes Deep Space Nine. There are several profiles.

"The Cardassian Union as I mentioned are in freefall. Your little conspiracy theory regarding possible Starfleet moles and cooperation in order to preserve the status quo on Bajor haas made their Central Command even more paranoid than ever. The Obsidian Order has been probing---looking for you, and can't find anything thanks to our efforts. They have gone so far as to request an off the record Diplomatic Summit on Deep Space Nine. We're going put you straight into their line of fire, they most likely will dispatch Dukat for the psychological effect it will have on you...yours and Ishara's mission will be to provide Sisko and his team with support, and to determine their TRUE motives."


"This seems odd even for Central Command. Why not just have the Order extract me? Any organization could have at any time despite how careful we've been to monitor and limit my travel?" I replied

"Exactly...but you've made them paranoid, and people generally speaking do stupid things when they're spooked. They want to find out what you know. I know this is----unique but we need to know what they DO or don't know, sending you straight to them will accomplish that and knowing your delightful personality, you no doubt will take a few shots at Dukat provoking him---but don't YOU do anything stupid Adam. We're here to avoid war, not cause one." Cooper finishes

"Aye sir."

"The USS Thunderbird is standing by to escort you and Ishara to Deep Space Nine. You will avoid speaking to Ro or Dax about this mission if they ask you? Do you understand Mr. Young?"

"I accept the mission, Admiral."

"Good. Dismissed. There are no exploding messages."

"Thank Rao for that. We'll be in touch, sir."

She watches me go.
 
Chapter 105: Benjamin New
Paramount and SkyDance Own Star Trek. For Entertainment Purposes Only. Non-Profit.

Author's Note: Greetings everyone! I am back! On the final two days of my structural reconfiguration (literally). This process of uncoiling from my neck hump is nearly complete, I also have Physio on Thursday evening so going to be re-assessed and have a new plan formulated. What is this arc? Something I completely made up based on wanting to deal with the Cardassian Plot I cooked up. We're freestyling a bit here folks so hope you like it! Trying to give more of what you guys want without compromising the story entirely! We might go off the rails---but I hope not.

The iconic office was thick with tension. This was never the way I wanted to meet Commander Benjamin Sisko. Both Ishara and I stood at attention. Lieutenant Ro Laren stood off to Sisko's right side, while Jadzia was to his left. The shadow of Wolf 359 was now prominent as I hear the attack of the Cube on the Saratoga. My own inner cry...NO! Sisko and I stare at each other. He puts down the PADD he was reading. He has fully been briefed on this mission and our parts in it.


"Mr. Young..." Sisko says almost growling. I force myself to look at the man. My favourite Captain.


"Sir."


"You find yourself at the centrepoint of a situation growing out of control. One in which you have helped to expose with your---theory."


"Yes sir. We've been ordered to provide support to you and your senior staff, and to figure out the Cardassians' intention with this meeting. You read Admiral Cooper's briefing?" I asked


"I have." Sisko then turns to look out his viewpoint.


"My Executive Officer, Science Officer, and Operations Chief have all vouched for your character, and O'Brien personally couched for Ensign Yar's. I happen to take their opinions very seriously as you must already know. For now I will...push aside my own personal opinion so that we can get to work, and talk about what happened later. Is that acceptable?" Sisko says as he turns back around.


"Yes sir."


"Lt. Ro...escort our guests to their quarters, and brief them on what they need to know about who the Cardassians are sending to this little party."


"Aye sir."
The heavy doors to the Commander's office hissed shut behind us as Laren led the way down the upper level towards the turbolift. The ambient hum of Ops was buzzing with activity, but the professional mask she wore only barely hid the whirlwind of emotions running underneath. We stepped into the turbolift, and the doors sealed us in with a pneumatic hiss.


"Habitat Ring, Level 2," Laren ordered the computer. The lift dropped with the characteristic heavy thud of Cardassian machinery.
The second the lift was out of public view, she turned around, leaning her back against the bulkhead. Her sharp Bajoran features relaxed, but her eyes locked onto mine with a fierce, burning intensity. She looked down at my Starfleet Intelligence tactical black uniform, then over at Ishara, before looking back at me.


"Starfleet Intelligence tactical black. Really, Adam?" Laren said, her voice dropping its strict military tone. "Last time we talked on subspace, you were stuck on Risa, and now you're wearing the spook uniform. You didn't tell me you were being deployed here."


"I wasn't permitted to contact anyone, Laren. I'm sorry," I said, stepping closer to her, wanting nothing more than to break protocol and pull her into my arms. "It is so good to see you."


"Is it?" Laren raised an eyebrow, though a genuine softness broke through her guarded demeanor. "Because when Sisko told me Adam Christopher Young was arriving on a high-clearance SI transport, my heart stopped. And then I find out you brought her as your handler."

She shifted her gaze to Ishara, her expression analytical. Laren knew the whole history—she knew exactly how I had used my meta-knowledge years ago during the Enterprise encounter to completely rewrite Ishara's fate, saving her from breaking the crew's trust and setting her on a completely different path. After that, Ishara had spent years training at Starfleet Academy, only transitioning into full-time Starfleet Intelligence work about a year ago.

Ishara didn't flinch under the look. She offered Laren a polite, respectful nod. "Lieutenant. Chief O'Brien speaks highly of you. And Adam speaks of you constantly. I'm glad to finally meet the woman who kept him grounded after he left Earth."


Laren let out a short, cynical breath—the classic Ro laugh—but the tension in her shoulders visibly lessened. "Yeah, well, someone had to keep his head straight. O'Brien speaks highly of you too, Yar. Said you nearly tore the Academy apart before SI formally recruited you."


"The professors lacked imagination," Ishara replied smoothly.

The turbolift ground to a halt and the doors slid open to the dimly lit corridor of the Habitat Ring. Laren led us down the hall, her hand subtly brushing against mine as we walked.

"The Cardassian delegation is arriving at 06:00 hours tomorrow," Laren briefed us, her voice turning sharp and tactical again. "Central Command is sending Gul Evek to lead the talks."


Evek. The hardline Central Command officer who would eventually hound the Maquis. "Evek isn't a diplomat," I noted, my voice dropping. "He's a butcher with a uniform. If he's leading the talks, this isn't a peace summit. It's a distraction."


"That's exactly what Sisko thinks," Laren said. She stopped outside a hexagonal door and punched in the override code, stepping back to let us enter the quarters. "Evek is bringing a heavy security detachment, including a team of Guls from the Obsidian Order's peripheral staff. They claim it's for data verification, but Jadzia's sensors have already picked up unusual subspace static bleeding from their flagship's forward shields."


She stepped into the doorway, leaning against the frame as she looked directly at me. The professional barrier dropped entirely, leaving only the woman I loved staring back at me.

"You two are sharing these quarters for security purposes—Sisko's orders. Keep your heads down until the morning briefing," Laren instructed. Her eyes softened, drilling into mine with deep concern. "


We step inside of the quarters—I pull Laren inside look down both hallways and tap a small device and then toss it onto the near by couch. I kiss Laren passionately, she returns the kiss...then breaks the hold.


"This room is now communications sealed. Does any of this makes sense to you Laren? You said Sisko thinks it is a distraction tactic...Cooper thinks they want me---because I punched a hole in their conspiracy? We expected Dukat....they send Evek? What is going on?" Ishara goes into the bedroom for a few seconds.

Laren leaned her back against the sealed door, her chest rising and falling softly as she tried to catch her breath. She looked down at the anti-surveillance scrambler pulsing silently on the couch, then back up at me, her brow furrowed in deep, concentrated thought.

"Nothing about this is lining up with the patterns you gave us, Adam," she said, her voice dropping to a low, intense whisper. "When you broke the conspiracy around the Circle and exposed Jaro, it sent a shockwave straight through Cardassian Central Command. They realized Starfleet was suddenly three steps ahead of them. Cooper is right about one thing—they are terrified of the ghost in our machine. They want to know who is feeding us this data."

She paced a few steps into the room, her boots silent on the Cardassian floor panels. "We were entirely prepared for Dukat. Sisko had his strategy mapped out based on Dukat's usual posturing, his vanity, his political ambitions. But Evek? Evek is Central Command's blunt instrument. He doesn't negotiate, he doesn't play subtle political games, and he certainly doesn't head up diplomatic delegations unless there's a heavy military mandate behind it."

Laren looked into my eyes, her fingers tightening slightly against my vest. "If Evek is here instead of Dukat, it means Cardassia has stopped trying to outmaneuver us politically. They're trying to blind us. If your meta-intel doesn't have a playbook for Evek launching a pre-emptive strike with a prototype weapon in 2370... we are flying entirely blind tomorrow morning."


Ishara steps back out.

"If this is a play to distract and ensnare you---it won't work. The Cardassians are operating on the assumption you are still aboard the Enterprise, this is why Cooper wanted you at SI----to protect you while they figure out who it is disrupting their operations," Yar says sitting down beside me.
I sit down on the couch.


"None of this makes sense though. They could have had the Order kidnap me years ago...I know I poked holes, that was the intention---this is---erratic. Even for them. Have any of you spoken with Garak? What's his take on this?"

"Garak has been uncharacteristically quiet," Laren replied, her eyes narrowing as she mentally pulled up the station's security logs. "Which, as you know, usually means he knows exactly what's going on and is waiting to see how the cards fall. Sisko had Bashir subtly prod him yesterday morning when he went in for a wardrobe fitting. Garak spun some elaborate story about the seasonal textile shortages on Cardassia Prime, but right before Julian left, he dropped a very specific piece of advice."

"Let me guess," I sighed, rubbing my temples ried to process Garak's layered metaphors. "Something about the weave of a uniform?"

"Exactly," Laren said. "He told Julian that when the military starts prioritizing the thickness of a thread over the elegance of the cut, the tailor should pack up his shears. He was talking about Central Command overtaking the Obsidian Order's influence on this specific summit. If the military is running the show and pushing the Order to the peripheral staff, it means the Order didn't design this trap. Evek did. And the Order might actually be blind to what he's planning to do with that subspace weapon."

"What is this supposed weapon? A bluff? They're not supposed to have anything like that right now." I reply confused still
"If Central Command is acting independently of the Order, it explains the erratic behavior, Adam. The Order plays a long, cold game of chess. But a hardline Gul like Evek? He operates on raw military pressure. He doesn't want to kidnap you to study you; he wants to create a tactical blackout so massive that whatever ghost is feeding Starfleet data becomes entirely irrelevant."

"This is sounding too convoluted for them. It must be an Obsidian Order operation. Evek is doing this because he's forced to." I reply

She turned back to face me, her arms crossed over her tactical rig. "They don't know you're in this room. They think they're blinding Sisko. We use that to our advantage." Ro states

Laren steps back toward the hexagonal door, tapping the manual control panel to lower the communication scramble field. "I'll see you both at 05:30 on the upper level. Don't be late."

I turn to Ishara.

""This is more heavy than I suspect the Admiralty even thinks, Ishara. They want me, badly. There are too many random variables in play. They Have orchestrated this meeting to attempt to not extract me but distract and potentially pull information from me—as you said—they were probably expecting me to be on the Enterprise, and Jean-Luc to be here—sending Evek was genius on their part—we've counterbalanced things a bit. We need to be cautious."

"You need to be cautious." she pokes me in the chest.

"I will be---we need to figure out what is going on here though. Because I have a feeling it's going to escalate out of control quick, fast, and in a hurry if we don't."
 
Chapter 106: The Conference Part I New
Paramount-SkyDance Own Star Trek. For Entertainment Purposes Only. Non-Profit

Ishara and I are back in our standard Starfleet uniforms. Both Security Gold. Ishara never sought out the command track, much preferring security/operations during her Academy training. We position ourselves on either side of Sisko's desk. Ro and Dax flank me, while Odo and O'Brien flank Ishara. Major Kira---who was assigned to the station following the events of the Circle is in Ops working across from Li Nalas, whom I allowed a smile at as I walked by them. Both of them look over the Cardassian contingent as they enter the office.

Gul Evek. He was the commander of the fourth order--and had been deployed at Dorvan V. In the original timeline Evek was at the forefront of the Union's efforts to dismantle the Maquis. In one of the novels Evek is I believe Sesksa's handler. The arrogance on his face is unmistakable. He enters with three of his officers flanking him. His eyes flicker to Ishara and I on either side of Sisko's desk.

"Commander Sisko." Evek greets

"On behalf of Central Command I express our gratitude...for hosting these urgent meetings." he says


"Gul Evek, welcome to Deep Space Nine. Let us dispense with the diplomatic pleasantries. My senior staff is fully briefed as to why you have called this unique meeting---but in your own words tell me why Central Command has requested that we talk?" Sisko replies

Evek's eyes slowly drift from Sisko, cutting straight past Dax, and locking directly onto me. I match his stare but do not say anything. I was right---they're here looking for information about me...or to do worse.

"Our concerns, Commander, involve certain...security leaks along the Demilitarized Zone," Evek says slowly, his gaze still drilling into mine. "

"Leaks that suggest a highly sophisticated, unauthorized data network operating within Federation borders. We expected to discuss this with your diplomatic liaisons... perhaps Captain Picard of the Enterprise."

"The Enterprise is currently reassigned to border defense elsewhere, Gul Evek," Sisko cuts in smoothly, drawing the Cardassian's eyes back to him like a magnet. "You are dealing with me now, backed by Starfleet Intelligence's direct oversight. Ensign Young and Ensign Yar are here by order of the Admiralty."

Evek lets out a slow, dry chuckle that carries zero warmth.

"I see. Then it appears the board has been altered before the first pieces were even moved. Very well, Commander. Let us review the data." he says talking like a computer I continue to observe him though listening

All of this started due to my discovery of the Echo Papa's being brought online and the Cardassian's sudden diversion to Minos Krova shortly after their withdrawal from Bajor. My investigation led to a bamboozling, unbelievable possibility---that the Federation and Cardassian Union had been involved in a decades long conspiracy that stretched back to at least the Bajoran Occupation. Admiral Nechayev and Captain Pircard were told after I was satisfied that I wasn't just chasing paranoid speculation, Ro and Jadzia had both concurred with my theories. Alynna had given my theories to Starfleet Command---a calculated risk given the circumstance---and she was appointed to oversee the investigation. I do have at least one suspect whom I think is directly responsible for the Starfleet side---but the suspect list is too wide on the Union side. The fact that this led to them discovering about me after all this time means that the conspiracy net is wider than I had anticipation. Intelligence and Starfleet Ops have worked incredibly hard to keep me concealed as much as possible.. Now we are here....and it is taking all my training to exert control, I really want to punch Evek in the face.


Evek towers over my 5'11 frame. I eye him though. Rigid at attention still. I can feel Ishara, Laren, and Jadzia all grow tense but i remain calm.

"Mr. Young .it is a pleasure to meet you finally. We were under the impression you were assigned to the Enterprise. How interesting you are here now as part of Starfleet Intelligence."

"Your information is out of date, Gul Evek. It is a honor to meet you." I say in response remaining at attention.

He nods as Odo then escorts them to the conference room to being the talks. Ishara and I allow the senior officers to pass by first as Laren nods once at me but I ignore them falling in line behind Dax and O'Brien as Yar joins me at my side.
 
Last edited:
Chapter 107: The Conference Part II New
Paramount-SkyDance Own Star Trek. For Entertainment Purposes Only. Non-Profit.

Prior to following in everyone...I request a personal audience with Sisko in the hallway as I finally reveal to him my theory to who is responsible for all of this. Ishara is already inside with the delegation.

"Sir... before we go in there to help them... I have my own misgivings about helping the Cardassians but this needs to be exposed. My personal theory as to who is spearheading this operation is Admiral Dan Curry."

"Of Research and Development?" Sisko laughs in that classic Avery style.
"Sir?" I question his laugh.

"I've known and worked under Admiral Curry for the years I was at Utopia Planitia, Mr. Young. There's no way he could have been involved—"

"There was no way Jaro and Winn could have been part of the Circle either, but they were," I say, cutting Sisko out of his thought pattern. His eyes narrow.

"You have no proof, Mr. Young. You had proof in the file that you sent Ro."

"Sir—he is the Admiral in charge of Research and Development. Captain Picard was under the impression that the Echo Papas were all destroyed. He said so in his report. Who else aside from perhaps Intelligence would have been able to request that technology and use it? Alynna didn't know about this until I brought it to her. I highly doubt Nakamura knew. What purpose does any of this serve... I looked into Curry's file, Sir—he knew Admiral Kennelly. They went to the Academy together, Sir. I know this has been hard for you—having me here—after what is between us—but I need you to trust me, or this gets out of control. Curzon believed in me. He knew you would too."

Sisko stands perfectly still in the dim, amber-lit corridor. The heavy background thrum of the station vibrates right through our boots, but for a long moment, the space between us is completely frozen. I can see the visual memory of the Saratoga flashing deep behind his eyes, a phantom weight he's been carrying since Wolf 359, clashing violently with his personal history under Dan Curry at the Mars shipyards.

He takes a slow, deep breath, his chest rising as his hands clasp behind his back. The sharp, dismissive edge of his laugh vanishes, replaced by a dark, hard-boiled intensity.

"Curzon Dax was a lot of things, Mr. Young," Sisko says, his voice dropping into a dangerous, gravelly whisper. "But he was never a fool. If he told you I would trust you, it's because he knew exactly what kind of man you are...if he saw your character..." Sisko cuts himself off.

He steps a fraction closer, his dark eyes drilling right into mine.

"Dan Curry is one of the finest administrative minds in Starfleet logistics. If he has been using Research and Development to mask the re-engineering of automated weaponry from the Minos system, he has compromised the foundational trust of the entire fleet, right down to it's foundation. You are making an extraordinary charge, Ensign. If we drop this data to Gul Evek, and Curry's name surfaces... the fallout will reach all the way to the Federation President."


"Then let it reach them, Sir," I reply, my voice dead calm as the nanites in my system lock my vitals down. "Evek is sitting in that room waiting to find out if I'm a ghost spy who manufactured a border crisis. We give him the real target. We trace the signal path back to Curry's logistical division, and we clear my name while burning out the last of Kennelly's old network."

Sisko studies me for one final, silent beat. The professional resistance he's held against me since I stepped off the transport finally cracks, replaced by a grim, unified command focus. He turns toward the heavy conference room door.

"Sir—what I propose you give them... tell them that this is an internal Starfleet matter that will be investigated and dealt with by the Admiralty," I say, "Evek will obviously not like that, but we cannot give them Curry, no matter what. He will posture and threaten, so you ask him to hand over to us any Cardassians that have been involved in this conspiracy, including the suspect that dealt with Kennelly prior to my exposure of him—and anyone else in Central Command. He will refuse to do so and adhere to our request... this doesn't immediately give them what they want—but it gives us time to figure out the true scale... and they will just purge their Command members that were part of it."

Sisko stops short, his hand hovering inches from the door panel. He turns his head slowly, his jaw clenched, his eyes tracking my logic with a rigid, calculated intensity.

"That doesn't get us any closer to finding out why, Mr. Young," Sisko growls softly, his voice echoing in the empty, metallic corridor.

"Oh, but it does, Sir—we get to interrogate Curry," I say, and I smile coldly.

The cold focus under my skin hits peak stabilization. If Evek gets his hands on Curry, Cardassian justice will dissect his mind until every scrap of Starfleet R&D—including the Defiant class hulls being welded at Utopia Planitia—is laid bare for Central Command. But if we clamp down on national sovereignty, we lock Curry in a Federation brig. We keep the crown jewels safe, we give the Cardassians a political stalemate they have to accept, and we buy ourselves the right to break the Admiral under our own parameters.

Sisko lets out a long, slow breath. The visceral, protective instinct of a commander who watched his fleet burn at Wolf 359 reasserts itself. He understands the trade. We aren't here to appease a Cardassian tribunal, we're here to protect our own assets.

"Jurisdictional lockdown," Sisko murmurs, a grim, razor-sharp smirk finally touching his lips. "He wants to throw the weight of Central Command around my station? Let's see how he handles the wall." Sisko replies as I smile---having successfully refocused Sisko to sick him on the Cardassians.

Sisko slaps the door control interface. The heavy hexagonal doors hiss open with a loud, mechanical whoosh, and the two of us step back across the threshold of the conference room.
"Gul Evek, we are willing to share our data regarding the officer in question " Sisko announces, his voice dropping into an unyielding, gravelly baritone. "But let us settle the parameters of custody right now. This is an internal Federation matter of high treason. The investigation, the arrest, and the trial of the Starfleet personnel responsible will be handled exclusively by the Admiralty." Sisko states

Evek slams his PADD onto the table, his chest ridges flaring as he stands up to tower over the interface. "You expect Central Command to step back while you police your own traitors, Commander?! Those weapons threatened our borders! We demand direct access to the architect of this provocation!"

And I demand the immediate extradition of every Cardassian officer who colluded with Admiral Kennelly prior to his court-martial, along with any current Central Command members tied to your half of the conspiracy! " Sisko fires back, his voice slamming through Evek's posturing like a heavy phaser blast. "You hand over your Guls to Starfleet Security, Evek, and we can discuss sharing our prisoners. Otherwise, you clean your house, we lock down ours, and the source remains in a Federation brig."

"I will....I will have to relay these terms to my superiors, Commander." he turns to me

I stand at attention.

"This had nothing to do with you..." Evek murmurs

"As I attempted to explain----sir. I'm not what you think I am." I reply

"I highly doubt that--I think there is more than meets the eye to you, Mr. Young. The way you command a room with a mere Ensign's rank....you would break some of my colleagues. It has been---fascinating." I Shudder at the Cardassian compliment. Evek and his aides leave.

I exhale....Ishara puts a hand on my shoulder.

"We need to give Cooper a report." I remove her hand from my shoulder and nod once.

"Thank you sir." I turn to Commander Sisko he nods once. Ro, Dax, O'Brien, and Odo who looks me up and down and hurumps all leave.


This will have to do for now.
 
Back
Top