1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Those Blessed with Talent

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Darkened, Feb 26, 2015.

1. redaeth

redaeth Stubborn pedantrist

If this is what I think it is I must take it. Even though the Peach Blossom social link is also tempting.

2. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

It might be!

Red String Sight was studied.

Red String Sight: Allows you to perceive bonds of romantic love as faint red threads connecting people. 10MP (90XP)

Pandemonious Ivy likes this.
  3. redaeth

It was. That XP cost though.

4. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

[X] Mountain Peak Blossom
    [X] Ask the adventurers to help
    - [X] If they say no ask the Idiot to help
    [X] Buy Friendship Bond

Seems worth 90 XP to me, although we should probably focus on getting a couple of other skills first- namely healing and friendship bond. Possibly also a few levels of analyze and a weapon proficiency, but that is up there on skills to get. Also looks like it may potentially combo with our other perception skills.

For choices I'm just going with the name since I'm bad with them, and the potential to leave a better impression on Peach Blossom is nice too. For what to do I think asking the adventurers for help is the only realistic option if we want a shot to finish this mission. We haven't had any luck in finding a fox yet, so no idea if a trap would even be in the right place. Besides that we know nothing about trap making anyway, so low odds it would work if a fox even did walk into it. And as for keep wandering around we have already seen how well that worked out- good for us personally, but no results to speak of.

If nothing else at least asking the adventurers for help gets us more time to spend with Peach Blossom, which seems like it could be fun. It also lets us be better able to fight if we run into anything strong (not likely to win against the forest boss, who I'm assuming is what was in that one scene), so more chances to gain exp that way.

Edit: Added in buy friendship bond, and a backup plan if the adventurers don't help based on what others have said. Contrary to what the stat sheet says I don't think the Idiot is OP, I think at best the stat sheet is based on what he told Little Bee and he made it all up.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  5. Sirrocco

Sirrocco Tiny but ambitious squid

[X] Ask the Idiot to help.
    -[X] If he says no, ask the adventurers for help.
    [X] Buy Friendship Bond

Highest chance of success... and potential for shenanigans. What's not to love?

Trapping has basically no chance with only a day to run it in, and searching by ourselves is kind of a crapshoot.

edit: because Pandemonious Ivy is right.

6. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

What do you name your new pet?
    [X] Fragrant Ruby

It's your last chance. How do you go about things?

[X]Buy Friendship Bond.
    -[X] Try to set it up as many times a possible during the day's encounters.

-[X] We know we are awesome, but sometimes it's good to be magnanimous and let lesser being prove their worth too. It's obvious that Peach Blossom wants to show she isn't just for show.

Darkened, we didn't get any XP at all for this mini-boss encounter?

7. Pandemonious Ivy

Pandemonious Ivy Making the rounds.

[X] Ask the Idiot to help.
    -[X] If he says no, ask the adventurers for help.

I want to see what the fuck he can do and I'm sure that Little Bee does too. I am entirely too impatient to wait for the dramatic moment where he reveals his OP As Fuck stats. No. Fuck that. Give us this damn fox creature so we can get a reward.

8. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

+10XP

9. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

So we can get Friendship Bond! Let's get Friendship bond guys!

10. Pandemonious Ivy

Pandemonious Ivy Making the rounds.

I support this. We might need to get a pet in a clutch which isn't good enough for our lofty standards to waste a blood bond on. Those are for the OP B and up monsters.

[X] Buy Friendship Bond

11. Sirrocco

Have edited in friendship bond.

Also for those times when you're not quite certain, and want to try before you buy.

Honestly, at this point, we might want to skip the merely B monsters - or at least be judicious about them. I love out little plant (even if ti is kind of *greedy*) but now that we have two critters to work with (one of whome is notably higher level than we are), we can be choosier... and friendship bond enables that.

12. BFldyq

BFldyq It's pronounced Be-Fled-Ick

[X] Fragrant Ruby

[X]Buy Friendship Bond.

-[X] We know we are awesome, but sometimes it's good to be magnanimous and let lesser being prove their worth too. It's obvious that Peach Blossom wants to show she isn't just for show.

13. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Yeah, friensdhip bond and an healthy doze of Analyzes (We know casting it a lot in a row improves data gained) will help a lot toward knowing more about the beast. Not only that, but it means that we can try and get a beast even when we have no slot left.

There is also the fact that, well, we are in a monster forest. While our 'core' group is important, having chaffs/secondary members is good, too, and we are in an ideal place to gain some of that.

14. Sirrocco

...and if we treat them well enough, they'll stick around *anyway*.

If nothing else, if we manage to tame them enough, and convince them to buy into the idea, we might be able to pass them off to the lady who's keeping the menagerie for some sort of consideration.

Arkeus likes this.
  15. LeoAbogos

LeoAbogos Versed in the lewd.

[X] Fragrant Ruby
    [X]Buy Friendship Bond.
    [X] Ask the adventurers for advice

16. fitzgerald

fitzgerald Experienced.

[X] Fragrant Ruby
    [X]Buy Friendship Bond.

17. Jiven

Jiven Most Excellent Lurker

[X] Fragrant Ruby
    [X]Buy Friendship Bond.

18. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Charsheet change: getting Friendship Bond seems to have unlocked the following skills in the Beast Adept supplementary skills tree:

We might also want to get Roar and Rampaging blood sooner rather than later. Not only are they potentially quite good, but they also possibly unlock their own trees.

19. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

I think getting Communication should be a priority- it is cheap, and it potentially leads to a tree that lets us talk to any animal/our companions whenever we want. It seems like it would combo well with Comprehend too.

For Roar and Rampaging Blood both are 1s, so they likely unlock a level 2 version rather than an actual tree. They might unlock more as well (especially when combined with other skills), but I think it is more likely after we finish all the levels of them Darkened has planned than after level 1.

20. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Yes, while the 'Orders' are really, really good, they are also both expensive XP wise (a full level) and expensive mana-wise currently. Now, I am sure than in ten or so levels (or, hell, even in five levels) neither are going to be true, and that our Charisma will be through the roof by that point too, but right now they are one-shot ability. Nice and powerful, but not completely stable yet.

However, communication is cheap XP-wise, and something we can spam thorought the day and during combat. There is also the possibility of unlocking things too yeah.
    Huh, I could have sworn Friendship Bond was a level 1 before we got it...

21. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

If it was I never noticed it. I can't really see how it can be upgraded, short of letting you reuse it on the same monster.

22. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Longer than 2 days, and also possibly giving a charisma-boosted chance for the beast to stay after the effect is over.
    Still, it's not a 1, so I was wrong.

23. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

[X] Buy Friendship Bond

24. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

[X] 10 Buy Friendship Bond.: (BFldyq, Jiven, LeoAbogos, fitzgerald, Arkeus, Pipeman, Sirrocco, Pandemonious Ivy, wayne82444, redaeth)
    -[X] 4 Try to set it up as many times a possible during the day's encounters.: (BFldyq, Jiven, fitzgerald, Arkeus)

[X] 5 Fragrant Ruby: (BFldyq, Jiven, LeoAbogos, fitzgerald, Arkeus)
    [X] 5 Mountain Peak Blossom: (Pipeman, Sirrocco, wayne82444, redaeth, Pandemonious Ivy)

[X] 1 Ask the Idiot to help.: (Sirrocco, Pandemonious Ivy)
    -[X] 1 If he says no, ask the adventurers for help.: (Sirrocco, Pandemonious Ivy)

[X] 7 Ask the adventurers to help: (Pipeman, BFldyq, Jiven, wayne82444, fitzgerald, Arkeus, redaeth, LeoAbogos)
    -[X] 4 We know we are awesome, but sometimes it's good to be magnanimous and let lesser being prove their worth too. It's obvious that Peach Blossom wants to show she isn't just for show.: (BFldyq, Jiven, fitzgerald, Arkeus)

--[X] 1 If they say no ask the Idiot to help: (wayne82444)

Locked and writing. As the name vote is tied, the next vote there settles it.

redaeth and Arkeus like this.
  25. DOOMPOTATO

DOOMPOTATO Not too sore, are you?

[X]Mountain Peak Blossom

redaeth likes this.
  26. Threadmarks: You Found a Fox
    Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

This is it, your last chance, and you're not going to let pride get in your way. After her help yesterday, and because Owl knows just whose backing you, you're not that worried that the adventurers could really mess with you if it turns out they are on the same job.

Still they're not Autumn Shade or Mountain Peak Blossom, and that means you can't trust them all the way. The Lower City's taught you that any trust is a gamble, so you make sure to wait next to the Idiot for them to come out. If he says he saw you arguing with them and they do try something, then no one will hesitate to blame them with the Young Master's word against theirs.

Eventually Owl shows, and Whisper soon after. Perfect! It's not like you care what Peach Blossom thinks, but you'd rather not have her needling you just because you're nice enough to give others an excuse to show off their knowledge.

“Good morning!” you're nervous, so you greet them twice as cheerfully. Owl smiles and ruffles your hair, cocking his head to the side as the vine around your neck reaches out to push his hand away.

“A new pet? I don't think I've seen that species before,” the big man's voice carries a faint whiff of curiosity as he strokes Blossom, allowing it to wrap around his finger and try to siphon off some blood.

“Yeah, isn't he adorable?” And, it seems, incapable of getting through Owl's thick skin. Dejected Mountain Peak Blossom droops away from the big man, “Anyway,” best to strike before his attention goes elsewhere, “I'm just a little curious, you know the forest really well, right?”

Owl nods, “Anything you need to know about it?”

“Well, I heard there's a lot of foxes, and I thought since they're just so adorable, it might be best to catch one for a new pet... but I haven't had any luck,” you give Owl your best innocent smile, one orders of magnitude more effective than you could have mustered a few months ago.

The big man ruffles your hair again, “Silver tipped foxes was it?” dammit, “Well, I think they usually keep their dens near water. They're fairly good at detecting predators and hiding for their rank, but they don't have the endurance to track down most prey or travel as far to get nourishment.”

You hesitate, it sounds solid, but you know nothing about nature at all. Owl could be giving you bad information, and no one else here might know.

“I s there anywhere in particular nearby?”

Owl hesitates, deciding whether to lie, or just whether to tell you anything at all? “There is a fairly large river if you head southwest far enough, but more powerful beasts tend to lurk around as you get farther in. It might be best to stay closer by.”

The job isn't worth risking your life for, and you don't know if you can handle things alone. Besides, Owl might be lying. Still, there is one way.

Peach Blossom's sleepy face poking out of a room is all the push you need. You raise your voice and project all the brash confidence you can, “Well, unlike someone I could name, I'm not afraid at all of going deeper into the forests!”

For a moment Peach Blossom stares at you, then something ignites in her eyes, “Hah! As if! Anything my rival can do, I can do better!”

Are you really getting this charismatic that quickly? No, judging by Whisper's sighs this is more to do with how easy Peach Blossom is to push around. She really wouldn't last a day in Lower City.

“Prove it,” a child could pull one over her.

Peach Blossom glowers at you, “Fine!”

“Then today we'll go together all the way up to the river. The first one to back off loses.”

Whisper buries his head in his hands. The Idiot chortles through his drink and Owl shakes his head sadly, and like that it's settled. If Owl's intel is bad, he'd be sending Peach Blossom to the same place, you have a companion and, best of all, you don't have to admit you don't want to go any further in alone!

------

You clutch your spear tightly and try not to look nervous. At your side, Peach Blossom does the exact same thing with her halberd. You haven't seen anything yet, not even another baby treant, but the deeper in the forest you go, the darker and quieter the woods gets. Which isn't to say you're scared of course. There's no way someone whose lived in those slums would be scared at something small like th—

You spin, spear at the ready only to realize that the noise you heard is just the wind blowing through some leaves.

“It should be close, right?”

Peach Blossom smirks at you, “Scared?”

“Of course not!” the way your loud voice penetrates the forest's quiet makes you regret your words. Peach Blossom glances around, but nothing comes out after a few minutes.

Autumn's ears perk and the cat dashes ahead, flitting silently through shadows. You and Peach Blossom share a glance then dash after the cat, not quite as quietly. Soon you too can hear the faint rush of water. You've made it.

“Haha, see, not scary at all!”

Peach Blossom nods, “Yeah, even a kid like you could do this without problems. So, let's hurry up and go back, okay?”

You let the comment pass this time, there are more important things to worry about, “Anyway, I want to find a fox, so if you can spot one before me, I guess I'd have to admit that you're better, and since we did come all the way here, we might as well look.”

You won't, but she doesn't know that.

Autumn stiffens as the river comes into view. It's a wide stream, clearer than any water you've seen before, and shallow enough that you could wade through it. More importantly, something is moving through the brush at the far bank.

Quietly you point to Peach Blossom. Then you tap Mountain Peak Blossom into wakefulness. If it's going to hang around you, at least it can contribute.

Seeing everyone ready, you take a deep breath and whisper out your skill.

Analyze

Level: 17
    Race: Fox
    Species: Three Tailed Steel Tipped Fox
    Element: ???, ???, ????

Known for its sturdy fur

Your breath catches in your throat and you take a step back. The fox's head moves, as it turns and leaps, crashing through the undergrowth to land firmly in the stream.

It's stands taller on four legs than you do on two, with teeth large enough to tear off your arm or through your throat. Three tails longer than you are tall float behind it, shining brilliant silver in the sunlight.

Well, you found a fox. Now let's see if you can survive it.

[ ] Blow your whistle
    [ ] No, you can do this.

[ ] Rough plan of action?

27. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

I'm going to go ahead and say that you have a small degree of plot armor until you're a bit older. What this means is that you won't die unless you do something very very stupid. But bad things can and will happen to you short of that.

I'm also, for help planning, going to give you Peach Blossom's general info:

Level: 7
    Class: Warrior
    Specialty: Willowy Dragoon

Stamina: Good
    Strength: Solid
    Agility: Impressive
    Affinity: Reliable
    Perception: Awful
    Luck: Average
    Charisma: Trash
    Intelligence: Pathetic

She has a skill to jump larger distances, and increase her attack damage depending on the distance she moves. She also has halberd proficiency 2, and a few abilities to help her evade enemy attacks more easily and extend the reach of her attacks a bit. Her armor is fairly unimpressive, but her weapon at least has a real blade on it.

28. redaeth

[X] No, you can do this.

[X] Have Mountain Peak Blossom wrap around Peach Blossoms spear and appear like a plant. When Peach Blossom gets close enough to attack it Mountain should drop onto the fox and begin to drain its health and mana. You and Autumn will do your best to harry it along side Peach Blossom.
    -[X] Analyze the fox multiple times to get as much information as possible.
    -[X] Have Mountain Peak Blossom use Slumber Powder and have Autumn Shade use Poison Claw.
    -[X] The instant you can use Friendship Bond, do so.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  29. Raron

Raron Experienced.

[X] No, you can do this.
    [X] Let Mountain Peak Blossom use Slumber Powder 1 while both you and Peach Blossom distract him, let Peach Blossom try to flank the fox, while you will stand and protect your body with your spear, Autumn Shade is to use Presence Concealment 1 and Poison Claw 1 to backstab the enemy.

Basic plan, feel free to upgrade. Also, I hope we can somehow cure the Poison Claw (wouldn't it be ironic to defeat the fox, but then lose it due to poison)

Anaerobie likes this.
  30. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Ok, a few things:

First, FFFFFF Autumn shade has 29/30 XP, and Iiirc you can only get one level per action. This might mean it can only get 1XP for that lol.

Now, second thing:
    We don't have its' HP/MP (not even ???), and we don't know its three elements. However, we know that repeated use of Analize help, and we know that focusing on speficic elements also help: remember how the Gray Robes constantly said 'name, class, 'attributes', etc'.

So I propose we throw another Analyze there for its elements. Knowing those will really help. Likewise, it would be good to know its high and low stats.

Anaerobie and Pandemonious Ivy like this.