1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Those Blessed with Talent

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Darkened, Feb 26, 2015.

1. LeoAbogos

LeoAbogos Versed in the lewd.

That jumble of animal-related library topic votes clearly shares a similar broad motivation. It seems weird if that broad topic of interest can't gain traction because the focus of individuals are more narrow. I mean, if the prompt on trying to get to know a servant included how to do so, the vote there would be two or three times as fractured. Really though, I think the issue is people trying to game the research actions into more specific results than is perhaps plausible. Little Bee isn't some kind of experienced researcher, a broad/general/vague topic rather than an objective seems more reasonable.

Not that I want that kind of research to win; there is obviously a far superior topic far more deserving of our time.

Darkened and Arkeus like this.
  2. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

If a combination of very similar votes would take 5th place, I'll count them together.

Pragmatically, the beasts and tamers votes should provoke similar enough results in the library that I'll group them at 4 total.

3. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

[X] Play in the orchards with Autumn
    [X] Relax in the sun with Mountain Peak Blossom
    [X] Reading in the library
    -[X] Whatever book catches your fancy
    [X] Try to talk Stone Soul into teaching you some basic first aid
    [X] Try to get to know one of the servants
    -[X] Soft Crash

Changing my vote to account for the fact that even though everyone wants to read in the library it is losing somehow. Still want to look into elements though, even if it is a more long term thing having some idea what we can do with them will really help when we decide what elemental affinities we want.

4. Raron

Raron Experienced.

[X] Play in the orchards with Autumn
    [X] Relax in the sun with Mountain Peak Blossom
    -[X] Whatever book catches your fancy
    [X] Try to talk Stone Soul into teaching you some basic first aid
    -[X] Soft Crash

5. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

IRC vote bot comes up with a different tally than the forum program, so I'm going to do a hand count tomorrow morning and then call it after my morning classes.

Edit: I believe this tally should be correct.

[Unanimous] Play in the orchards with Autumn (Unanimous)
    [Unanimous] Relax in the sun with Mountain Peak Blossom (Unanimous)

-[10] Whatever book catches your fancy (Raron, wayne82444, Arkeus, Pandemonious Ivy, Smyter, Hunter09, Anaerobic, LeoAbogos, Falconis, Mrttao
    -[4] Beasts (Arkeus, Smyter, Falconis, Redaeth
    - [2] Fashion (LeoAbogos, Mrttao
    -[2] Politics (john doe, BFldyq

9 [9] Try to talk Stone Soul into teaching you some basic first aid (Raron, wayne82444, Pandemonious Ivy, Minion #Q, Hunter09, Anaerobic, john doe, BFldyq, Redaeth

-[9] Soft Crash (Raron, wayne82444, Arkeus, Pandemonious Ivy, Minion #Q, Smyter, Hunter09, Anaerobic, Falconis
    -[4] Miren(Minion #Q, john doe, Bfldyq, Redaeth
    -[2] Quiet Willow (LeoAbogos, MrTtao

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Anaerobie and Arkeus like this.
  6. redaeth

redaeth Stubborn pedantrist

Yay! We're outta debt.
    Oh fuck, something happened. I'm regretting not spending time with Miren now. Yeeeeek

drake_azathoth, Darkened and Arkeus like this.
  7. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

Back up to full HP and not infected now, not sure if Darkened changed his plans or if Mountain Peak Blossom just got better in the same update and he was updating character sheets as he goes. Or possibly just changed it so we couldn't guess at what happened. Either way the invisitext Coming for You is still there.

Edit: and a new skill!

Beast King's Fierce Gaze 1: The bestial adept's gaze holds viciousness, cunning and pride befitting a king amongst monsters. Boosts your effective charisma by ten percent with regards to beasts.

8. redaeth

Beware the comma that seems to have nothing after it. It shall lead you to see the horrible, horrible truth. Only pursue it should you wish to see what doom lies in store for Little Bee.

EDIT
    Welp. now its reading Satiated. Dear god, what did Mountain Peak Blossom eat? It has never been not hungry.

Or perhaps I should ask.... who did it eat?

Dun. Dun. Dunnn.

EDIT AGAIN!

And now it is back to hungry. There is no proof that anything happened now. Perhaps I imagined the whole thing.

Yeah! Mountain Peak Blossom is fine. Little Bee isn't going to star in her own little horror flick where her beloved pet overgrows the entire manor, hungry for blood. We won't pan out to see the manor, empty, the only sign anything happened here is the beautiful flowering vine on the walls.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Pandemonious Ivy likes this.
  9. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Sorry, update's not done yet and probably won't be out today.

Quick discussion regarding the bulk of this chapter. The following updates are probably going to be pretty long. I don't think life at the mansion should be fast paced enough for weekly/daily updates, but the current ones are turning out to be pretty substantial, worse to take time to write. This one is taking a lot to write, though I'm not sure how much it's going to be in the whole.

I am pretty attached to the structure of having several things going on at once, rather than "LB spends a month reading, then a month socializing then a month taking naps" so I'd like to continue having people vote on several recurring actions.

This isn't a vote, but I'd like opinions on what people would prefer.

1. Post the whole thing when done, however long it takes to write.
    2. Break it up into chunks. Have actions voted at the beginning of an interval, followed by updates that break whenever an important momentary choice comes up.
    3. Break the updates into chunks, trying to keep to a steady schedule of updates even if that means the breaks are somewhat uneven
    4. Something else?

What do people prefer?

Anaerobie likes this.
  10. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

I think I prefer option 2 myself- it's a bit interactive, and it also should have frequent-enough update that neither the players or QM forget this quest exist.

Darkened likes this.
  11. rcnr

rcnr Dangerously Chuuni

Option two seems best to me.

Darkened likes this.
  12. redaeth

This seems best to me.

Darkened likes this.
  13. Pandemonious Ivy

Pandemonious Ivy Making the rounds.

BANDWAGON OPINION (but srsly, what they said)

14. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

2. Break it up into chunks. Have actions voted at the beginning of an interval, followed by updates that break whenever an important momentary choice comes up.

If you are giving a long update breaking it up might be better to help you, and the best place to break it is obviously going to be the place where there is a choice to vote on.

15. Pipeman

Pipeman Well worn.

Beware the option 2, for it can only lead to micro-management hell!

Seriously though, on the face of things it sounds like the most palatable solution, but that's pretty much exactly how parts of a quest intended to compress a lot of time into few updates suddenly stop doing that.

As long as a strict handle is kept on that option 2 works fine, otherwise just power through and decide between option 1 and 3 based on whether you're more concerned over uneven breaks or losing interest during the inactivity period.

16. DOOMPOTATO

DOOMPOTATO Not too sore, are you?

4. Something else?
    Write it like it was one update, with votes all placed at the end but post sections as they're made (and maybe update character sheets after each update?).

17. BFldyq

BFldyq It's pronounced Be-Fled-Ick

I prefer option 3.

18. Sirrocco

Sirrocco Tiny but ambitious squid

I'm a fan of option 2.

I don't mind if this bit takes a while.

Still I agree that the decisions should be shaping decisions, rather than specific action decisions.

19. Dark Ness

Dark Ness I trust you know where the happy button is?

Just caught up with this.

20. Threadmarks: Settling In
    Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Your second full day at the mansion is spent somewhat lost. The tours are over, everyone's returning to what little business they have and trying to incorporate you by being studiously polite and deferential while changing their habits as little as possible. After a morning spent trying to figure out what you're supposed to do, you give up.

Quiet Willow would probably glare sternly if she catches you laid out on the grass like this, Mountain Peak Blossom spilled out to his full growth to make a blanket around you, stretching hundreds of flowers toward the pulsing sun. Somewhere in the distance Autumn is chasing a butterfly, but you don't pay it much attention.

Until the forest it was rare to get a chance to just sit and do nothing. In the Lower City it was always a battle to survive, to pinch your next meal without getting caught, to fight off a rival gang or watch your back from your own. Then it was training or errands or pushing your own studies along till you could actually start to read. Then you were recovering, a prisoner in your own body, Now you're free. The staff won't listen to you exactly, no matter what they say, but they can't really get in your way either.

And yet, you have nothing to do. No goal, besides recovering eventually maybe. All the freedom you could want only cost an arm and a leg, but you don't even have a clue what to do with it now that you have it.

So you join Peak in the sun, watching the clouds and relaxing. It probably won't become a habit, but you do kinda see why the Idiot likes it so much. Mountain Peak seems to enjoy actually really getting the chance to drink in the light.

But even though walking hurts and the sun does feel pretty nice, you've been cooped up in a bed too long to stay with Peak forever. On the third day you finally decide to go for the library. You spent so much time learning to read, you figure you should actually try it once or twice. Plopping Peak down in a window-sill you grab a book at random and huddle up with Autumn in a corner of the library.

Let's see... Tax Records... Maybe you could have chosen something better, but you might as well. You open the book and page through the summaries of the orchard's harvests and the estate's income and expenditures for a few minutes before dropping the book aside as you start to drift off. Honestly, how do they manage to make having people give you money for no reason sound boring?

You try a book of maps. The pictures are interesting to see for a little while, but there's nothing outside the empire. It is strange to realize how boxed in your home is though. You'd always imagined that the empire just kind of stretches forever into some vague lands that are maybe part of it and maybe not at the edges. Instead it looks like the empire's more or less grown as far as it can. There are a few foreign countries on the maps, but the empire's borders are mostly blocked off. The sea to the south, the great Jungle to the west, mountains to the North and the something called the dragon-Sands to the East. Only at the corners of these features, and a little into the Dragon Lands or beyond the mountains are any other countries listed.

The next few days pass in disappointing quiet. You try to approach Rocky once or twice, but the younger boy's always at Miren's side, playing around, and Miren avoids you like the plague. Maybe you could push, but it just isn't worth it. Amongst the other servants, you're treated with respect, but largely ignored. All in all, despite Quiet Willow's insistence on decorum, the estate's like a ship without a destination. No matter where it drifts or what the crew does, there's no real meaning in any of it.

Maybe two or three of the older servants would be necessary to keep the estate in good condition, oversee the harvests and generally keep everything working, but the rest, you especially, are purposeless.

Soft Crash is the easiest to approach. She's proud of her lab and cheerful enough in a clumsy way, and she needs your help to get the resources to do much work on things. A few quick words as to how curious you are about what she does and you're dragged back to her little shack faster than your weakened legs can keep up.

You thought the tour was interesting, but the way Crash sits you down and starts truly explaining what she understands of her own creations is fascinating. She barely knows what most of them do or how, but her lecture has no beginning, no end and no pauses in its enthusiasm.

“This is my lightning box! The insides' really rough so when we spin the crank it gathers energy from something somehow and you can see it making little sparks without needing any MP at all,” she'll say before dropping the item in question and showing you an automatic gear-kite that should be able to fly but can't actually. Despite her presentation skills, Crash's creations are fascinating, half-built terrors that you can't help but feel could be truly monstrous if she could actually make them work.

“Would it be alright,” you finally manage to interrupt as the day winds down, “If I started helping you with things a little?”

Soft Crash pauses to catch her breath, then frowns, “Well, I don't mind, I'd be really really happy even since all the others just ignore me or run away, but Quiet Willow probably wouldn't like it...”

“So you're saying that if she doesn't have a problem, you won't?”

You both pause to watch as Autumn nudges a contraption lying on his nose then jumps as if burned and darts behind your legs.

“I guess, but she never likes it when I experiment as is and you really probably can't run away that fast,” Soft Crash lets out a long suffering sigh.

You ignore the run-away comment for now, and give her your best confident smirk, “Just leave it to me.” Indentured servant or not, they've decided to treat you like a noble for now, and that means they have to deal with it.
    ---------

Today's book is a collection of journal entries. All sound much the same.

I met Star Dancer speaking in the Lower City last week. A few of the boys dragged me out for a bit of sport and we happened upon one of her rallies. At first we thought to disrupt the event and give those uppity fools the thrashing they so richly deserve. But she was every bit as beautiful as they say. It was not in her face, or her curves, though both suited my tastes perfectly. Rather it was the way in which she moved, so sensual, aggressive, passionate, sexual. Those old men told us all to stay away, as if any commoner, no matter how highly ranked, could put me under her spell. She saw me in the crowd and smiled. I knew that smile was for me, though Mao, fool that he is, insists she was smiling at him. The riff-raff around her refused to allow either of us to approach and I fear that giving them the beatings they so truly deserve might make seem a bore before that beauty. I, unable to see a common harlot as I wish? It's beyond ridiculous.

But there is nothing common about her. What a pity that she needs to die. All those old men who wouldn't even know how to use a women if they had one can think of nothing but how to kill her. No, that's not the way to treat such a beauty at all. Assassination will be far too cruel.

I will lure her with gifts and trinkets, tokens of my affection until she follows me into a gilded cage. Star Dancer, my songbird, will learn the error of her ways. She is just a commoner, no matter that her beauty outshines the sun. Commoners are simple creatures at heart. I will feign sympathy to her cause, and in time she will fall into my arms like the sweet thing I know she is. I know she cares for me, whether she knows it or not, and everything will be so right once she leans on my arm, concerned with nothing more strenuous than what to wear to tonight's party. I am sure a mother of such rank will lend my children the greatest talents.

Yes, I am sure I can show her reason.”

-From the diary of Cheng Lao, three months before his execution following his failed attempt to assassinate his own grandfather. No clear proof has ever been offered that Star Dancer actually requested the murder in question.

---------

“I've decided,” you announce during breakfast, “that I shall begin to participate in Soft Crash's work.”

You don't direct the words at anyone, but you can almost hear Quiet Willow stiffen behind you.

“Madam, this humble servant must strongly...”

Ignoring her protests, you leave the table and, cane tapping rhythmically into the floor, move to the library, “I believe I will begin this afternoon.”

Like that it's decided. Who'd have thought Winter Breeze's etiquette courses would be useful? You smile at the memory, then let it fade from your face as the person herself floats to mind. Grabbing Autumn in a huff you bury yourself in the first text you grab, even if it is a history of the economic influence of apples in the Southern Empire.

----------

Soft Crash's lab is fun, even if the work is demanding, made only more so by the sheer confusion of Soft Crash's directions. You thought she was a bit absent-minded before, but the inventor slips into a trance almost as soon as she starts working. From there it's you trying not to trip over Autumn while you try to grab “That thingamajig, no not that one, the bigger one” or “The windy thing”.

You almost quit that first day, as you stagger back toward the House, more carried by a slowly growing and shrinking Peak than actually walking under your own power. But Miren stares at you in the distance and mutters something to Rocky. You only catch the word Princess, but that's enough to keep you going out of pure spite, at least once Stone Soul affirms that you aren't hurting yourself.

Still, eventually you start to catch on, finding the things Soft Crash tells you to grab at first, actually building simple projects under her direction. You don't really understand the meaning of what she's doing or why, but the workshop starts to feel familiar and productive. At least once Autumn inevitably knocks something over and spooks himself to preening outside the door, pretending he's standing guard and definitely not too nervous to enter the workshop whatsoever. Dealing with the workshop, or maybe getting used to dealing with it, does manage to net you a little XP at least.

+3XP

Still, as nice as Crash is, she's not actually that great at conversation when she's working, and Quiet Willow's retaliation for your decision to join Crash seems to fall solely on the inventor's shoulders, keeping her busy whenever you're not in the shed together.

------------

General Mu rose to prominence very suddenly. Initially regarded as the failure of the sinking Mu clan, he famously deserted the army a mere year after joining. No clear history has ever emerged of these times, though it's believed he fled North beyond the empire's boundaries. A mere 7 years later, the C ranked scout returned anonymously having jumped from the bottom of C to a height of talent rarely seen in the empire. It is believed that he hid in the capital for months without revealing himself before heading south to see the coast.

No indication has ever emerged whether the general knew that the dragon would appear or if it was simply by chance. Considering his famous luck, Neither possibility may safely be dismissed. Regardless, the general's presence truly saved the vastly outclassed forces as they tried to prevent the dragon's rampage. Somehow attracting the Southern Guardian's attention, the great dragon-slayer proceeded to flee over the ocean, the enraged beast chasing at his heels. What happened during the three days they fought is unknown, but the general returned carrying the dragon's fang and a potent event skill as proof of the maddened guardian’s demise. How even he fought the beast so effectively in the middle of the ocean where the Storm Dragon lived is an unknown that none has answered to this day.

------------

Stone Soul's the only one who really interacts with you freely. As a member of the army she isn't a servant, but she's not a noble either. In a sense she's a guest, a distinguished professional in a noble field staying on the owner's invitation. Quiet Willow can't lecture her, but her status isn't so high that the servants need to walk on egg-shells around Stone either. It leaves you insanely jealous.

Of course Stone Soul just laughs at you then flicks your nose when you tell her that.

Finally you work up your courage enough to expand your activities by one.

“Could you teach me a little?” you ask as Stone Soul slowly re-bandages the club that used to be your right arm during yet another examination.

“You've haven't grown,” she notes oddly, pursing her lips

“What?”
    Stone Soul shrugs, “You're not getting taller. Well, it's not that weird considering how badly you fucked up your own body squirt. Still, to be stuck as a midget forever...”

You pale at that, “There's something you can do right? It's not permanent?”

“Well, best to probably wait and see. Get outta debt XP-wise and see how your condition changes from that, then maybe give it a bit more time to see if you start sprouting up.”

“Sprouting?” you fantasizing of growing as quickly as Mountain Peak, until everyone has to crane their heads up to see you instead of the other way around.

“Well, you're a weed.” She plucks a blossom Peak's attached to her wrist, “Got leaves and everything, and weeds sprout.”

“Ha ha ha, but... seriously, about teaching me?” You push the news about your height aside. There's nothing you can really do about it for now.

The doctor cocks her head to the side and then nods sharply, “Sure: There's only one use for a man and 90 percent of 'em ain’t even good for that, so just stick to girls instead and save yourself all sorts of problems. You're not drunk 'till you can't walk straight anymore but stop once you're good and drunk. And what happens in Qujing stays in Qujing. You're gonna forget all that in three years when your tits come in and your brain turns to mush, so there ain't much point.”

You stare at her, “Teach me ME-Di-CINE, the thing you can actually do well at. And you're one to talk about messing around with men you shouldn't.”

Stone Soul ties off the bandage, just a little too tightly then reaches over, uncorks a foul smelling bottle of something that shouldn't be fit for human consumption, downs a swallow and proceeds to thoroughly ruffle your hair.

“Aren't you just adorable. Anyway, I'd like ta teach you, but I don't really want to teach you.”

You glare, “What, you're so busy getting drunk alone in here you don't have the time?”

She sticks her tongue out at you and points to a series of jars over a burner, “Ain't nothing to kill for a few levels, so I'm studying my way up instead. Besides, even if I don't have any supplementary or base skills that deal with making medicine, I am a doctor you know, so my affinity for studying that kind of thing can't be too terrible, and if even you're being all productive out in that shed, then I can't lay around all the time can I?”

You stare at all the beakers curiously, “And it's really not just an excuse to drink all your failed experiments?” Stone Soul's fist comes down lightly into your forehead.

“OWW”

“Pain's good for you. There, I taught you something mediciney, now scram.”

Grumbling, you leave Stone Soul's room, even as Mountain Peak Blossom tenderly rubs a bud against your cheek in something sympathy. Like you'll let one conversation stop you!

--------

Today's book is an old volume on beast-type monsters. You're really curious if you can find anything about Autumn.

Feline beasts are among the more common races. Almost uniformly carnivores, they're well known to be deadly predators in a pack or alone, possessing high agility and above average perception nigh-uniformly. While the common wild cat is a weak species that rarely rises above E rank, there are also several incredibly mighty felines as well, such as the ancient S+ ranked White Tiger whose rampage disturbed much of the empire's west a mere 30 years ago.

….

While far from the strongest feline, and certainly amongst the rarer, the Shadow Leopard may hold the distinction of being the most common truly powerful feline. Hovering at the upper tiers of B ranks, the Shadow Leopard possesses incredible physical abilities. At home in the Eastern Jungles the Shadow Leopard is a stealthy predator which moves in large matriarchal packs, using stealth to surround larger prey before taking down even some A ranked species that can be found in these dangerous habitats. Naturally attuned to shadows, the Leopard's most distinctive ability is the natural ease with which they can move instantaneously between any two dark spots. The more powerful examples of the species may use the skill Cheshire to freely teleport a single paw or fang to strike effortlessly at any location within the creature's sight. All but the strongest of the strong will endeavor to avoid even a single shadow leopard, lest the wounded's calls summon a dozen others out of the shadows.

-------
    The harvest brings more to do. Picking season has the entire village, young and old coming out to the orchards near the estate, with all the older staff supervising, all the younger staff forced to help, Stone Soul trying her best to learn to make hard cider and you strictly informed that it's too dangerous to be out and about.

Naturally, those instructions are promptly ignored. Miren can go help, and even Rocky can and you're pretty sure that one-arm or no you could still take Rocky easy, especially with Autumn and Peak with you.

At first the village children stare, and a few of the adults look at Autumn—whose getting so big that his head comes up to your hips when he sits—nervously, but a few quick words that you're from the city and you got sent out here to recover from injuries have all the adults oohing over you and all the children giving Autumn far more petting and praise than he deserves.

Still, no one lets you help much until you transform your hair and start tearing apples from trees with as many vines as you can. A few of the village girls shriek at that, then get jealous for some reason when you forget to shrink them to the right length before changing back and find your hair's down to your ankles again. Weirdos.

Still, it's nice to have proper kids to talk to that aren't weirdo ogres or the Idiot. It's been too long since the Lower City and the village brats, soft as they are, aren't so bad at all. You just wish they'd stop spoiling Autumn rotten every time he does something a little bit cute to beg for a treat.

Playing with Autumn Shade amidst, well, the autumn shade, is the most fun you've had since your injury. The cat will hide or slip away along the shadows while you slowly direct the village children on where to search. Usually your proud kitten will avoid them entirely, even if he keeps getting bigger.

-----------

Today's book is different than the others. A bored Autumn tore through the tax records, knocking over a shelf and revealing a simple leather-bound journal buried in an indentation in the floor. As soon as you picked it up you actually earned XP just for finding it. Still you gave Autumn your best Quiet Willow lecture (it isn't half as painful from you though) and then cleaned up the mess as best you could before you sat down to read.

+2XP

The army's annoying. Annoying. Annoying. Annoying. Annoyyyiiiing! I'm writing the word a lot to give an accurate summation of how annoying it is in case future me ever forgets and thinks coming back might be a good idea.

I was so relieved when I found out my class. So what if I'm a rare breed of scout? At C rank I'm just weak enough to be useless to everybody, and that means I don't have to follow in my oh-so-excellent brother's steps at all. I wish. It seems that I've been selected to join my brother's troop, to give him support from the lower ranking soldiers. Have I mentioned this is annoying?

Anyway, we're going to do practice in the Northern Mountains. I'm thinking of deserting and leaving the empire and the whole annoying clan behind me. Annoying. Annoying, annoying, but running off on my own could be kinda interesting. All romantic and stuff isn't it!

My fourteenth year, the third month.

This could be interesting.

-------------------

It's near the end of the season, when what few apples haven't been picked are starting to go sour and the crowds that have been coming to the orchards have slowed to a trickle when the event happens. You're playing tag with Autumn, or rather, limping after Autumn while the cat occasionally deigns to let you catch up. Naturally Mountain Peak Blossom is hiding in the branches above, just waiting for that puffed-up kitten to take a few more steps to the left and see whose going to get the last laugh.

Then you hear a scream, followed by loud sobs. Looking in that direction you see one of the village woman arguing furiously with Green Stone. As quietly as you can, you limp over. Both turn to face you.

“Is something wrong?”

“I can't find Spring Moth, my son.” You try to remember the brat. You think he was a year or two older than you, but you haven't played with him much or at all.

“It's nothing you need to worry about Ma’am,” Green Stone shakes his head just as the woman speaks. For the moment you ignore him.

“When did anyone last see him?”

“A few hours ago. Him and a few other children were talking about heading to the Western part of the orchards to play and they haven't come back.”

“Like I said, they probably just wandered off, and they'll be back before you know it. There isn't anything worth worrying about around here anyway,” Green Stone's voice is reassuring, but there's a harder glint in his eyes.

“So there's no danger in looking then,” you slip in. This could be a chance, to earn some experience tracking them if nothing else.

“Ma’am, there's no need for you to do that, and it's getting pretty dark you know. Just because the orchards are safe doesn't mean that there can't be anything sneaking in, especially this time of year, and there is your condition to think about.”

You clench your good fist, resisting the urge to shove the pentagram tattoo in his face. You picked this path. You have to live with it.

[ ] Insist on going, see if the woman has anything Autumn can use to track her son.
    [ ] Give up, they're right, you have no business doing this.
    [ ] Just send Autumn by himself. The cat's a fur-brain, but he's smart enough to follow a trail and get them home.
    [ ] Bring a few others with you?
    -[ ] Who?
    [ ] Write-in

21. Raron

Raron Experienced.

[X] Insist on going, see if the woman has anything Autumn can use to track her son.

22. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

So, I've decided to go with something pretty close to 2 from the options before. I'll be having you vote on 6-8 month blocks or so and breaking the posts up with events/decisions on how to handle things either like this or more general trends as feels appropriate. Expect each block to be 1-4 posts or so.

For this one, I went and updated the character sheets when I thought I'd manage to get the update out right away. Editing it back is a (very very slight) pain, and the events that were going haven't necessarily changed. If the actual XP numbers end up being different I'll add/subtract as necessary. My bad. Assume you're still in debt right now and that your stats are slightly below what's listed. Consider it a preview I guess!

Pandemonious Ivy, Arkeus and Falconis like this.
  23. Falconis

Falconis Not too sore, are you?

[X] Just send Autumn by himself. The cat's a fur-brain, but he's smart enough to follow a trail and get them home.

Guess who can run away while we can't.

24. hunter09

hunter09 Versed in the lewd.

[X] Insist on going, see if the woman has anything Autumn can use to track her son.
    -[X] Have Autumn range ahead.

25. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

[X] Just send Autumn by himself. The cat's a fur-brain, but he's smart enough to follow a trail and get them home.

Urgh, very tempted to actually go and do something about it ourself, especially as we would probably need all three of us if we want to help and there is a big issue... OTOH, Autumn shade can easily try to see if there is anything. If there is no issue he can do that better than us, and if there is one he can come back safely and lead us back (with higher levelled up people) there.

Also, Darkened, does this mean the sheet are accurate and that we stay 'weakened' after our XP debt is gone?

26. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

-[X] Have Autumn range ahead.

I think we would get the most exp if we go ourselves, and we still have 3 potions if something goes wrong anyway. We also get more of a chance to make a good impression if we go ourselves, which could potentially be even more valuable. Besides, for how bad we seem in the fluff text we still have about half of our stats and our practice spear, so we can still fight some. We also still have the whistle if we need to call for help, not sure if that will work so I'd rather not rely on it, but it might.

27. DOOMPOTATO

DOOMPOTATO Not too sore, are you?

28. Sirrocco

Sirrocco Tiny but ambitious squid

[x] Insist on going, see if the woman has anything Autumn can use to track her son.

because having someone intelligent on the scene might be valuable (more than just as a carrier for Mountain Peak Blossom), and with our hair-tentacles, we can even contribute /defend ourselves a bit.

29. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

30. BFldyq

BFldyq It's pronounced Be-Fled-Ick