1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Garlandknight

Garlandknight Happiest Arbites

I have the PS4 version, so I can't help you there.

WhiteKnightLeo likes this.
  2. WhiteKnightLeo

WhiteKnightLeo Not too sore, are you?

Unrelated to my last - what's this I'm hearing about SquareEnix messing with the story for FF7?

3. aabbcc

aabbcc Well worn.

The remake is a stealth sequel.

mc2rpg likes this.
  4. zhilai

zhilai I trust you know where the happy button is?

A stealth sequel of the time travel variety, as in Sephiroth travelled back in time and shows up for the final boss fight even though it’s only part one.

mc2rpg likes this.
  5. Garlandknight

The only way the Compilation of FFVII's story could get any more ridiculous is if they added time travel to the mix, and what do you know? The madlads at Square Enix did it! God help us all, they did it.

At this point, I'm convinced Square Enix, or at least the people in charge of Final Fantasy, are trying to run the franchise into the dirt. They did a good job with XV, it could have been much better but considering all the issues with its development they pulled off a miracle just getting it to be as good as it was, but there were a lot of terrible decisions there and the base game's story was barely saved after the last couple Episode DLCs were cancelled. Just look at the plot summary of the Dawn of The Future Novel to know why, it was based on the draft for the cancelled DLCs.

And now there's the FFVII remake. It was all set to print money for them. Millions of nostalgic fans were ready to empty their wallets to play through the same story with shiny new graphics and combat. They couldn't possibly fuck this up.

And they still fucked it up.

6. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

More of Nobumura doing a Pineverse take on FF7 alongside pulling a Rebuild of Evagelion, but yeah. I still plan to pick it up given the reviews and genuine curiosity at juwt what new twists and turns the story will take. Especially after six mind blowing words at the stinger:

Wait, was that all of them?

mc2rpg and Smuthunter like this.
  7. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

On thinking this over, I'm not sure it's actually the case. The evidence for time-travelling Sephiroth mostly comes down to him sporting his Advent Children design and acting like he knows a ton about everything but Cloud recognizes the black feather when he first sees it and starts having flashbacks on the bombing mission, meaning he must have seen Sephiroth with the one wing at the Nibelheim mako reactor.

Derek58 likes this.
  8. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Well, in part 1 the final fantasy crew jump to endgame final fantasy levels and fight a god, an alien, and obsessive girlfriend sephiroth.

So, they leave to go find sephiroth but there is basically no threat out there besides him that can fuck with them now unless they add more convoluted shit to ff7. Like weapons suddenly appearing in the next town after midgar or some shit.

But it messes with some scenes where they were impressed with strength adding this kingdom hearts crap.

Remember the snake and how impressive it was as a show of sephiroth's strength to the party? Not so impressive when they killed a fucking god and beat back Sephiroth.

wayne82444 and mc2rpg like this.
  9. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

I'm just gonna put this whole conversation in spoiler tags.

My understanding of that fight scene is that they're fighting in a singularity where time and space are doing weird shit, and that they won't be able to do this stuff anymore once they're back in the real world. I'm also totally expecting Yuffie to show up and steal all their equipment near the start of the next game, so kiss all your leveled-up weapons and materia goodbye!

I wouldn't have cited the Midgar Zolom actually, I would have cited the flashback to Nibelheim segment in Calm when you fight next to Sephiroth and he does 1000x as much damage as you do in the battle system. But maybe that's because I always went to the chocobo farm first and never tried to fight the zolom so I never got that perspective of Sephiroth curbstomping this unbeatable monster.

The problem with just doing the same thing again is that FF7 Sephiroth had the benefit of being a completely unknown figure aside from what the writers decided to drip-feed you throughout the story. But FF7R Sephiroth has had 20+ years of being one of Square's most famous villains, the Zolom scene just isn't going to impress like it did before when everyone knows that endgame Sephiroth throws planets at you and stuff like that. It's like expecting everyone to be shocked and sad when Aerith dies again in exactly the way that everyone knows she's going to die, you're just not going to get the same emotional impact out of scenes that everyone sees coming from a mile away. Sephiroth isn't really mysterious to anyone who's played the original game, but when you do a second playthrough and you start seeing shit like how Sephiroth is apparently from the future and all that stuff he starts being mysterious again because now you're wondering what his new angle is and how he's going to do things differently.

Also, "beat back" isn't the way I'd describe what the party did to Sephiroth. He just kinda left after no-selling Cloud's attempt at Omnislashing him in the final scene. And this is just one of his inferior clone bodies, the real thing is still chilling out up at the Northern Crater.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  10. Rexis12

Rexis12 Experienced.

I have two opinions on this.

My first opinion is "People were misled with it just being a Remake and its now a "Stealth Pre-Quel'

I, for one, agree with people being angry or disgruntled at the, at worst false at best misdirected, advertisement of this. There is a good reason to be angry that they were manipulating others to buy this game by going "Hey, this game that everyone likes but now its pretty and you can see Tifa in 4K with 3D models!" is a solid complaint. Square should've just advertised it as a Sequel and that's it, and try to let their writing and charm for this game speak for itself.

On the other, "Keep the Story The Same" is one that I don't agree with. Face it FF7 is old, old as all fucking balls and everyone knows about the twist in the end and how Cloud acts and all that. The only issue is that, with how much Square added just keeping it as FF7 but pretty would be... kinda a waste?
    Zack Fair and Kunsel are two good examples of 'The Empire' characters, where we see the bad guys aka SOLDIER and to just wipe them away to have Cloud again is kinda sad. Exploring the new story ideas and the possibility of expanding the FF7 verse and character interaction is a risk, but it's a nice risk that allows for more exploration and just general fan-service.
    Look people loved some of the Crisis Core characters, except for a certain someone, and those characters were done pretty well. Dirge of Cerberus, mixed but had some fun ideas with the lesser FF7 cast that some people liked. So having a wider story that ecomposes the FF7 Compilation characters and interaction is a better way to just take the franchise rather than see the same game but pretty again.

Plus, I absolutely wanna see what the fuck they do with some of the characters that they added.

searcher8, Raven1138 and Smuthunter like this.
  11. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

As with everything, Jim Fucking Sterling has a Jimquisition for this:

Me, I hope Square doubles and triples down on the subversion, to the point of making it a central theme of the FF7R series. How far can one go in defying fate? Are we puppets to narrative causality or can we run the knife's edge to a better outcome?

Smuthunter likes this.
  12. OverReactionGuy

Cactuar Jim scares the fuck out of me.

wayne82444 and Raven1138 like this.
  13. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Yeah I don't disagree that what fans were clamoring for all these years was just an updated remake of the original game with modern technology and to the extent that this game isn't it, it's fair for them to be disappointed. I don't share those complaints because I was never married to the idea of a straight remake in the first place, but I do sympathize.

It probably helps that my expectations for FF7R were super low for most of its development time. I was certain that Nomura was going to completely fuck up the characters, like how Kingdom Hearts Cloud is nothing like FF7 Cloud, and I didn't start getting excited until the E3 demo where Cloud and Barrett are constantly bantering with each other and everything about it felt perfect. The Whispers and all that stuff is definitely not something that adds to the game but I'd say it detracts minimally and I'm not excessively bothered by it. Now whether that remains the case in future parts of the remake, that's an open question that I'll admit to being concerned about.

mc2rpg and daimahou like this.
  14. OverReactionGuy

Though I do disagree a bit with Jim there. A game can both be falsely advertised and subversive at the same time, they aren't exclusive.

It's clear people were expecting ff7R to be ff7 with more padding instead of a side sequel with time travel and multiple universes and gods of fate and shit like that. Nothing they showed I believe hinted at it actually being a sequel or some shit. Or that at the end of the day they were going to throw whatever happened in the original away calling the story the bad ending.

So while impressive they managed to hide what the game was going to be about, probably because unlike nintendo's gamefreak they know how to keep their shit secure, it still falsely lead a lot of people on what it's going to be while subverting expectations no matter if people liked it or not.

That's my thoughts after watching Jim the creepy as fuck Cactuar's video.

15. Garlandknight

I have the sneaking suspicion someone at Square Enix wanted to make a new Compilation of FFVII game instead of a remake, and had the brilliant idea to market it as the remake people wanted instead of the sequel the fans would be indifferent to at best.

A bit of misleading marketing here, a plot twist there, and a whole lot of "subverting expectations" on top.

16. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

I think you're being excessively cynical. Square-Enix isn't really a Bethesda or an EA, they don't make a habit of using tactics like that.

There's an interview with Nomura and Kitase somewhere where one of them said that the idea to do FF7R came from the realization that if they were ever going to do it they have to do it now because it would 10-15 years to finish the whole thing and some of them like Uematsu are already getting on in years. Nomura is in his mid-40s or so and he's IIRC one of the younger of the lead development staff.

daimahou and Derek58 like this.
  17. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

If you don't want to bother with FF7, you could always replay 4 (GBA or DS), 6, or Chrono Trigger DS, or-

Hold on, you never played FFX?

wayne82444 likes this.
  18. OverReactionGuy

Not everyone likely plays every final fantasy. Not every actually likes 10 too.

19. WhiteKnightLeo

WhiteKnightLeo Not too sore, are you?

Nope. I've only ever played 7 and 8 - and I didn't beat 8. I wasn't a fan of the draw system.

wayne82444 likes this.
  20. OverReactionGuy

FF games I played and beat.

1,2,3,4,5(didn't beat),6(been meaning to beat it this game deserves a remaster), 7(didn't fully beat but got through most of the game), 10, 11(went back to playing wow because the game's payment system was confusing), 12, 13 part 1(didn't beat only did the tutorial) and that's it.

Whatever you do, do not read ff10's light novel or whatever based on events after the game. They are someone's hate fiction about ff10.

Shadow Wolf75 and Derek58 like this.
  21. Garlandknight

IIRC the person who wrote it is the scenario writer for FFX and FFX-2, so I doubt it's a case of hate fiction. He was also co-writer for FFVII and FFVIII, and made the original concept for FFXV (as in, he wrote the scenario for Final Fantasy Versus XIII, and then two other people took that and turned it into FFXV's scenario).
    Seems to me that guy is one of those creative types whose ideas are good as long he's working together with someone who can stop him from doing something stupid to the project.

22. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Hmm...
    Oh Nojima, huh. Yeah that lines up, supposedly he and Kitase originally wanted to kill off everyone except Cloud and two other party members in FF7 and Nomura had to talk them out of it and only have them kill off Aerith.

UnthinkingWisdom likes this.
  23. OverReactionGuy

So he's a nihilist against happy endings?

24. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

I couldn't say, but I'd also raise the question whether FF7 actually had a happy ending either way. Sure the compilation and Advent Children and stuff expanded on it later, but FF7 itself didn't really tell you anything about how the characters ended up or even whether human civilization survived Meteor.

25. Garlandknight

They probably just thought it was a great idea and didn't stop to consider it might actually be a terrible idea until someone took them aside and convinced them not to do it.

26. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

I'm looking forward to the Saints Row the Third remake just because I get to play the 'Party Time' mission again. Say what you will about the rest of the game,but parachuting down to the Morning Star penthouse while Kayne West's 'Power' played was awesome.

Speaking of, does anybody know if they announced any QoL changes or was it just the visuals that got upgraded?

Derek58 and Smuthunter like this.
  27. Jace Spicer

Jace Spicer Experienced.

What QoL changes would you want if you don't mind me asking? Never really noticed too many things horribly off when I played, of course that's probably because I didn't really pay attention to any of it.

28. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

Mainly to be able to mod and remove any vehicle from the garage.

29. Renko

Renko Look closer ~☆

So no one is going to bother to post the new AC: Valhalla game trailer?

Here.

Seems to me that the Viking invaders are just noble savages who raid villages to the ground but spare women and children and the defending Saxons/Britons who were only responding to the raids are the evil bad guys.

That's what I saw in the trailer though.

:V

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    UnthinkingWisdom, Imabot and Derek58 like this.
  30. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Disgusting. Just more pro-Assassin propaganda.