Behind the Scenes –3: Romance, Lisa's Power, Pairings and Shippings, Destiny/Fate, Future Behind The Scenes.
New
Phili
I trust you know where the happy button is?
- Joined
- Sep 4, 2022
- Messages
- 544
- Likes received
- 15,235
Behind the Scenes –3: Romance, Lisa's Power, Pairings and Shippings, Destiny/Fate, Future Behind The Scenes.
Note: These next 3 paragraphs were moved from the Author's Notes of Chapter 48, right after it talks about his possible relationship with Miss Militia.
I will say that Dave doesn't quite get romance at the moment due to all of his soul damage. For all that he can act like a normal-ish, albeit very weird, person, his soul is still held together by Daf's glitter glue and soul tentacles keeping all the pieces where they are supposed to be while his soul heals and expands.
Dave currently has no real interest in sex or real understanding of romance, though those will both likely change after his soul gets a lot more healed. This is part of why Lisa latched onto him, because her power doesn't torture her with sex stuff around him.
(Seriously, Lisa's power is probably one of the bigger assholes in the Worm series… it's just a 'Stupid-Evil' character to be totally honest, it tortures her for no gain to itself when it comes to the sex stuff, and is a jerk to her even to its own detriment. I'm considering just getting rid of that aspect of her power, because it's so incredibly stupid of that shard to do what it does, though I don't know what I will make her sexuality if I decide to do so.
For those not aware, Thinker powers of Parahumans use up A LOT of a Shard's resources, which is why Thinker headaches exist, to discourage Parahumans from wasting their Thinker power on pointless things.
Not only does Lisa's power latch onto things she doesn't want it to and waste its own power doing so, it constantly uses resources to dig as deep as it can into anyone in Lisa's vicinity to tell her their weirdest fetishes and most disturbing intrusive thoughts or impulses, or even just bodily facts, specifically in order to turn Lisa off of sex. What does it gain by doing so after wasting all those resources then punishing Lisa with Thinker migraines for what it itself did in overusing itself? Fuck if I know.)
That said, I have no particular attachment to any pairings, ships, or potential polycules at the moment. (Any potential 'harems' would involve the ladies also being active with each other). I am open to hearing discussion in favor of various pairings/polycules, as long as everyone understands Dave won't be getting into anything for a while, and I may (or may not) never decide to write anything more than fade-to-black in terms of sex stuff.
Speaking of pairings and shippings, one I've considered is Bella/Crystal, and another is Bella/Crystal/Dave. Now, in either case, it would probably be that Bella and Crystal have been together for a while and just haven't let anyone know because they're both sane(-ish, Crystal is a Parahuman and all that) people, and they live in Brockton Bay, where being a high-profile lesbian would just be asking to get raped and murdered, along with your lover. Yay, Nazis!
Really, I'm totally undecided on if Crystal and Bella are together or not. Of course, if they are, that doesn't preclude Dave from getting together with them. If they aren't, he still might get together with one of them. Let me know what you guys think.
Now, I thought I'd also talk a little about Destiny and Fate in this one. I don't see it coming up any time soon, if ever, in the story, so I'll lay it out for anyone interested. The way I see it, Earth Bet and the Worm-verse in general very specifically has either no fate/destiny, or so little it is effectively nonexistent. In Wait a Minute, I am treating it as the latter, but the only being the distinction is at all relevant to is Daf.
The way Shards work to predict the future is through Laplace's Demon-style simulations, meaning they use a massive amount of knowledge and absurd computational power to predict the future.
Now, I will talk about Precogs in Worm in-story at some point, so I won't talk about that here, but for Destiny/Fate, it's a bit different.
I figure; Destiny and Fate effectively don't exist in the Worm-verse due to one simple reason. Wildbow made crucial story decisions at several points by rolling dice. I remember reading somewhere that if the dice had rolled a certain way, Taylor would have died in the Leviathan fight (and a few other fights I think) and the main-character status and point of view would have moved to some other character.
That means that anything could have happened in the original canon of the story, meaning nothing was certain, or in other words, destined to happen, because the author wasn't going to force it to happen if the dice decided otherwise.
So, the Worm-verse is an unusual and fairly unique experience for Daf, because he would have to expend a lot of effort to see what is 'supposed' to happen, because Destiny and Fate are such weak forces that they essentially don't exist for anyone else, and even Daf couldn't actually manipulate them in any way aside from looking at them, and even that would only tell him a bit of information in exchange for a huge amount of effort. Daf has never really been in a world like Earth Bet before where Destiny and Fate are so weak he can't even touch them. The other way around he has seen before, where they are so strong he could do absolutely nothing to them, but this reversal is a novel experience to him.
This isn't particularly important information to the story, and will probably never come up given there aren't really any important destiny/fate-obsessed characters in Worm, but I thought some of you might find it interesting.
If anyone ever wants to know something specifically, let me know, and if it isn't likely to end up in the story itself, I'll put it in a Behind the Scenes. For example, if someone wants to know something about Daf's species, let me know and I'll add it in.
I'm thinking next time, I will add a piece of my notes to the Behind the Scenes 4. The note-section I'm considering is my list of all the things the Pack-a-Punch has been used on on-screen so far in my rewatch, and what it did each time.
Note: These next 3 paragraphs were moved from the Author's Notes of Chapter 48, right after it talks about his possible relationship with Miss Militia.
I will say that Dave doesn't quite get romance at the moment due to all of his soul damage. For all that he can act like a normal-ish, albeit very weird, person, his soul is still held together by Daf's glitter glue and soul tentacles keeping all the pieces where they are supposed to be while his soul heals and expands.
Dave currently has no real interest in sex or real understanding of romance, though those will both likely change after his soul gets a lot more healed. This is part of why Lisa latched onto him, because her power doesn't torture her with sex stuff around him.
(Seriously, Lisa's power is probably one of the bigger assholes in the Worm series… it's just a 'Stupid-Evil' character to be totally honest, it tortures her for no gain to itself when it comes to the sex stuff, and is a jerk to her even to its own detriment. I'm considering just getting rid of that aspect of her power, because it's so incredibly stupid of that shard to do what it does, though I don't know what I will make her sexuality if I decide to do so.
For those not aware, Thinker powers of Parahumans use up A LOT of a Shard's resources, which is why Thinker headaches exist, to discourage Parahumans from wasting their Thinker power on pointless things.
Not only does Lisa's power latch onto things she doesn't want it to and waste its own power doing so, it constantly uses resources to dig as deep as it can into anyone in Lisa's vicinity to tell her their weirdest fetishes and most disturbing intrusive thoughts or impulses, or even just bodily facts, specifically in order to turn Lisa off of sex. What does it gain by doing so after wasting all those resources then punishing Lisa with Thinker migraines for what it itself did in overusing itself? Fuck if I know.)
That said, I have no particular attachment to any pairings, ships, or potential polycules at the moment. (Any potential 'harems' would involve the ladies also being active with each other). I am open to hearing discussion in favor of various pairings/polycules, as long as everyone understands Dave won't be getting into anything for a while, and I may (or may not) never decide to write anything more than fade-to-black in terms of sex stuff.
Speaking of pairings and shippings, one I've considered is Bella/Crystal, and another is Bella/Crystal/Dave. Now, in either case, it would probably be that Bella and Crystal have been together for a while and just haven't let anyone know because they're both sane(-ish, Crystal is a Parahuman and all that) people, and they live in Brockton Bay, where being a high-profile lesbian would just be asking to get raped and murdered, along with your lover. Yay, Nazis!
Really, I'm totally undecided on if Crystal and Bella are together or not. Of course, if they are, that doesn't preclude Dave from getting together with them. If they aren't, he still might get together with one of them. Let me know what you guys think.
Now, I thought I'd also talk a little about Destiny and Fate in this one. I don't see it coming up any time soon, if ever, in the story, so I'll lay it out for anyone interested. The way I see it, Earth Bet and the Worm-verse in general very specifically has either no fate/destiny, or so little it is effectively nonexistent. In Wait a Minute, I am treating it as the latter, but the only being the distinction is at all relevant to is Daf.
The way Shards work to predict the future is through Laplace's Demon-style simulations, meaning they use a massive amount of knowledge and absurd computational power to predict the future.
Now, I will talk about Precogs in Worm in-story at some point, so I won't talk about that here, but for Destiny/Fate, it's a bit different.
I figure; Destiny and Fate effectively don't exist in the Worm-verse due to one simple reason. Wildbow made crucial story decisions at several points by rolling dice. I remember reading somewhere that if the dice had rolled a certain way, Taylor would have died in the Leviathan fight (and a few other fights I think) and the main-character status and point of view would have moved to some other character.
That means that anything could have happened in the original canon of the story, meaning nothing was certain, or in other words, destined to happen, because the author wasn't going to force it to happen if the dice decided otherwise.
So, the Worm-verse is an unusual and fairly unique experience for Daf, because he would have to expend a lot of effort to see what is 'supposed' to happen, because Destiny and Fate are such weak forces that they essentially don't exist for anyone else, and even Daf couldn't actually manipulate them in any way aside from looking at them, and even that would only tell him a bit of information in exchange for a huge amount of effort. Daf has never really been in a world like Earth Bet before where Destiny and Fate are so weak he can't even touch them. The other way around he has seen before, where they are so strong he could do absolutely nothing to them, but this reversal is a novel experience to him.
This isn't particularly important information to the story, and will probably never come up given there aren't really any important destiny/fate-obsessed characters in Worm, but I thought some of you might find it interesting.
If anyone ever wants to know something specifically, let me know, and if it isn't likely to end up in the story itself, I'll put it in a Behind the Scenes. For example, if someone wants to know something about Daf's species, let me know and I'll add it in.
I'm thinking next time, I will add a piece of my notes to the Behind the Scenes 4. The note-section I'm considering is my list of all the things the Pack-a-Punch has been used on on-screen so far in my rewatch, and what it did each time.
- New
- View discussion