1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

What's with recent 502 errors?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by NHO, Aug 26, 2023.

1. NHO

NHO I trust you know where the happy button is?

Those are kinda terrifying

2. TheWave

TheWave Not too sore, are you?

This was the third day in a row I noticed this happening, I am also wondering what is going on

icesonic, Akuma-Heika, xcv45 and 9 others like this.
  3. Mashadarof402

Mashadarof402 Well worn.

The down periods also seem to be taking more and more time before the site comes up. This looks to be something quite serious.

4. Aelyx

Aelyx It is I, Q, who are you?

I'm not going to try and even guess the why, hoping it's nothing too serious.

5. Catacus

Catacus Know what you're doing yet?

Same, this has been happening a lot lately, I hope it's just a maintenance issue

6. Roxaryz

Roxaryz Getting out there.

Might be related to the coming Xenforo 2 upgrade. Was some posting about that earlier this week.

7. A/N

A/N Experienced.

Longer this time than yesterday.

8. steamrick

steamrick Matter: protons, electrons, neutrons and morons

Hopefully it's todo with the planned migration and XF2 upgrade. Seeing the forum running on nginx running on version 1.14.1 is slightly terrifying. That version is EOL for nearly 5 years now.

9. TheFabulousCustodes

TheFabulousCustodes Versed in the lewd.

I couldn't access the site for 2-3 hours today, I kept getting "502 Bad Gateway Error nginx 1.14.1" messages.

This isn't some kind of security issue, is it?

Shaedy Hoe likes this.
  10. Kordelius

Kordelius Things die. Let them.

Is it simple server error or has it been DDoS'd? Was sort of worried since it was down for a quite the long time.

TheFabulousCustodes likes this.
  11. Koko9000

Koko9000 Getting some practice in, huh?

I've had the same issue, 502 whatever, third day now.

Very relieved I'm not the only one getting it.

Even got me to stop lurking in order to say so.

Hope it gets resolved soon.

12. Radek

Radek Promethean

This was the worst so far. Hopefully a fix will be worked out soon; I'm perhaps too attached to his site.

13. Czlyydwr Llrngwl

Czlyydwr Llrngwl "Sell ya a door Learn gull" Czly/Celly for short.

I do appreciate the technical issues involved, but ugh, I hate XF2 as exemplified by SB & SV's "upgrades." I just hope a reasonable approximation of the site theme I use (Blackend Purple) is going to be included, because the color scheme is the main way I keep which tab is which straight to avoid little whoopsies of the SFW/NSFW/Rule 8 kind.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
  14. deathgeonous

deathgeonous Not too sore, are you?

Yeah, while I'm glad that I'm not the only one getting this issue, a statement on this issue would be nice...

15. Modus_Tollens

Modus_Tollens Potentially Screaming?

As long as its not a goddamn DoS attack or something. Its probably not but there is always that one asshole out there.

16. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

I too would like to know what the hell is going on and what is to be done about it. Something is obviously malfunctioning and can't be ignored.

17. A/N

A/N Experienced.

Besides hoping everything works, I also hope the default light theme remains actually light and not grey, because I often invert the colours on my tablet to turn it into an actually dark theme including browser GUI. That, and using my screenshader works better with a bright high contrast theme as a base.

18. JMHthe3rd

JMHthe3rd Not too sore, are you?

I wish the forum has a Discord or Twitter or some other kind of off-site platform. That way we're not wondering if it's the QQ Apocalypse everytime there's a 502.

19. Stormwalker

Stormwalker Not that lewd actually.

20. lancelot

Anyone know how to poke QQ staff to get them to tell us what they know at this point?

The dead air after multiple days of down time is getting annoying.

21. Modus_Tollens

Modus_Tollens Potentially Screaming?

Honestly, just this thread existing will probably be that poke. Give it twenty-four hours or so.

22. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

The quote another thread that spoke of it...

23. Student of Zelretch

Student of Zelretch Put the ice back on my lake. Moderator

The semi-official way to poke about half the staff off of the site is the official IRC server. The unofficial way to reach another third (me included) is the QQ Fate/Grand Order discord server…. And as for why the server outage is longer or shorter when this happens? If an admin doesn’t poke it with a stick, it doesn’t come back online. If the admin in question happens to be sleeping off a night out or just sleeping in on weekend…

24. Stranger-12

Stranger-12 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Having another partial outage now. Some requests go through and others 502

25. Crimson Reiter

Crimson Reiter Ahegao hunter

Tabs that I already had open on my phone got 502 went refreshed, while new posts didn't.

Profile pages are a miss-or-hit, same with forum pages.

26. aleksds1

aleksds1 President of Tamamo fan club

Yeah, site is breaking again. I mean, this is kinda everyday occurance at this point.

netizen, !Renzie0 and Meordan like this.
  27. ultima333

ultima333 Happy Sunflower Time Administrator

Permanent fix is on the way, moving host soon-ish.

We might stop the nightly backup job that is breaking this for the very short term, otherwise we have to start cleaning up some of the xf2 stuff and re-do it, or clean up old data from like the image cache (our proxying is set to "never expire images" for example)

28. lancelot

At this point it's getting fucking ridiculous, not only is it every day, but the last time anyone close to the admins said anything they were supposed to have a solution to work on TWO WEEKS AGO.

Can we get an update of exactly what the fuck is going on and the progress on the solution?

Edit: Sorry was posting this as you were posting that update.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
    aleksds1, icesonic and !Renzie0 like this.
  29. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

might be worth doing, tbh. Probably just have to toss up a banner saying "save any posts you make today-forward that you don't want to risk losing" until host-swap?

30. jadecriminal

jadecriminal Making the rounds.

Lol, lancelot ninjad by mod by 2 minutes.

Might be worth checking your mysql and apache logs unless truncating is set up correctly they can get bloated. Could save a few GB there each even if it's running properly.

Mail logs too, depending on what is running.

As for backups... I sure hope there's some off server and that it's not just one daily backup. :p

(Don't really know your budget or current hosting package and I won't pry, but I sure hope your new host bundles something like acronis backups or if you don't go for dedicated servers, a vps with one of those network drives mounted on /backup nothing makes your day worse than "Your disk commuted sudoku. And you don't seem to have raid, or any external backups. I sure hope there wasn't anything important up there." )

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023