• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

What's with recent 502 errors?

Might be related to the coming Xenforo 2 upgrade. Was some posting about that earlier this week.
Currently the technical work for the upgrade is very nearly finished. However, we're running out of disk space on the current server, and so admin time is going to preparing to upgrade servers.

Once the server upgrade is finished, we'll be about ready to launch a demo version of the XF2 translation.

Longer this time than yesterday.

Hopefully it's todo with the planned migration and XF2 upgrade. Seeing the forum running on nginx running on version 1.14.1 is slightly terrifying. That version is EOL for nearly 5 years now.

I couldn't access the site for 2-3 hours today, I kept getting "502 Bad Gateway Error nginx 1.14.1" messages.

This isn't some kind of security issue, is it?

Is it simple server error or has it been DDoS'd? Was sort of worried since it was down for a quite the long time.

Hopefully it's todo with the planned migration and XF2 upgrade. Seeing the forum running on nginx running on version 1.14.1 is slightly terrifying. That version is EOL for nearly 5 years now.
I do appreciate the technical issues involved, but ugh, I hate XF2 as exemplified by SB & SV's "upgrades." I just hope a reasonable approximation of the site theme I use (Blackend Purple) is going to be included, because the color scheme is the main way I keep which tab is which straight to avoid little whoopsies of the SFW/NSFW/Rule 8 kind.

Last edited:
I too would like to know what the hell is going on and what is to be done about it. Something is obviously malfunctioning and can't be ignored.

I do appreciate the technical issues involved, but ugh, I hate XF2 as exemplified by SB & SV's "upgrades." I just hope a reasonable approximation of the site theme I use (Blackend Purple) is going to be included, because the color scheme is the main way I keep which tab is which straight to avoid little whoopsies of the SFW/NSFW/QQ Rule 8 kind.

Besides hoping everything works, I also hope the default light theme remains actually light and not grey, because I often invert the colours on my tablet to turn it into an actually dark theme including browser GUI. That, and using my screenshader works better with a bright high contrast theme as a base.

Anyone know how to poke QQ staff to get them to tell us what they know at this point?

The dead air after multiple days of down time is getting annoying.

The quote another thread that spoke of it...

There's a number of things going on, but one of the main issues is that due to the XF2 build in addition to the live site, the partition that QQ is currently on is substantially more full than usual, to the point the daily server backup kicks things in the head and offlines the site. This would ordinarily be a fairly simple fix except we identified our current host as being behind the email service issues that QQ has been having a couple weeks back, which means it's currently in-progress to look for new hosting to fix the email issues. The admins cleaned out some old junk data that hopefully will allow the server backups to not offline the site we'll see at 900 UTC. Not a long term solution, but hopefully it works till we determine if we're going to switch server hosts.

The semi-official way to poke about half the staff off of the site is the official IRC server. The unofficial way to reach another third (me included) is the QQ Fate/Grand Order discord server…. And as for why the server outage is longer or shorter when this happens? If an admin doesn't poke it with a stick, it doesn't come back online. If the admin in question happens to be sleeping off a night out or just sleeping in on weekend…

Tabs that I already had open on my phone got 502 went refreshed, while new posts didn't.

Profile pages are a miss-or-hit, same with forum pages.

Server filled up when it created a temp copy of the database for the nightly backup.
Note that the server would have plenty of room for this function- the site db isn't taking up all the space or anything. It's other things, like the Image Proxy Cache (this is the primary culprit), and the other database copy used for Xenforo 2 testing (yes, this is still happening *eventually*) that are also taking up space.

It happened twice in a row, we think we got a temporary fix by assigning the last of the spare space to the partition.

It's also accelerating our plan to move to a new host, as our findings are showing that the current hosting provider is also a big factor on why our emails to people are failing (there are other people using the same provider sending spam, triggering some blacklists to on-again-off-again block the entire provider's email).
Permanent fix is on the way, moving host soon-ish.

We might stop the nightly backup job that is breaking this for the very short term, otherwise we have to start cleaning up some of the xf2 stuff and re-do it, or clean up old data from like the image cache (our proxying is set to "never expire images" for example)

At this point it's getting fucking ridiculous, not only is it every day, but the last time anyone close to the admins said anything they were supposed to have a solution to work on TWO WEEKS AGO.

Can we get an update of exactly what the fuck is going on and the progress on the solution?

Edit: Sorry was posting this as you were posting that update.

The semi-official way to poke about half the staff off of the site is the official IRC server. The unofficial way to reach another third (me included) is the QQ Fate/Grand Order discord server…. And as for why the server outage is longer or shorter when this happens? If an admin doesn't poke it with a stick, it doesn't come back online. If the admin in question happens to be sleeping off a night out or just sleeping in on weekend…

Last edited:
Lol, lancelot ninjad by mod by 2 minutes.

Might be worth checking your mysql and apache logs unless truncating is set up correctly they can get bloated. Could save a few GB there each even if it's running properly.

Mail logs too, depending on what is running.

As for backups... I sure hope there's some off server and that it's not just one daily backup. :p

(Don't really know your budget or current hosting package and I won't pry, but I sure hope your new host bundles something like acronis backups or if you don't go for dedicated servers, a vps with one of those network drives mounted on /backup nothing makes your day worse than "Your disk commuted sudoku. And you don't seem to have raid, or any external backups. I sure hope there wasn't anything important up there." )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back