1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your pain tolerance, QQ?

Discussion in 'General' started by Zege, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Zege

Zege It's Magic, I ain't gotta explain shit.

It's not something I see come up very often, but I thought it might be interesting to compare with others.

Just how much hurt can you handle?

Personally, I seem to have a fairly unnaturally high pain tolerance, at least compared to everyone else I've met. I suppose the most definitive example would be when I took a fair-sized hunk of stone (about the size of two clenched fists) to the back of my head. It was thrown down onto a concrete pad, and then rebounded down further onto me. It cut me open good, but I hardly felt a thing.

Course, the half-mile walk home was interesting, especially with my shirt belted to my head to stop the blood.

How bout you, QQ?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Had my foot pinched between a structural I-Beam and a forklift. It snipped the back third of my heel bone off and the Achilles Tendon slowly pulled that chunk of bone up into my leg. It was really uncomfortable, but not actually painful.

Now, trying to show off and hop down the stairs on one foot after getting the pizza from the door, missing a step and catching myself on my broken foot with fresh new pins in it, THAT hurt. I can comfortably confirm that the idea that a large enough burst of pain causes your vision to go black and stars to burst behind your eyes is completely true.

I didn't drop or spill the pizza though and it was even better than normal since it distracted me from the throbbing in my foot and leg

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  3. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Apparently, I tolerate pain well enough that a doctor proposed me to have free treatment if I agreed to be the lab rat (as in first patient) for a laser treatment device he got.

I accepted. Not that bad, even if really goddamn hot at some point.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. WizardTwo

WizardTwo Not too sore, are you?

I see lots of people bragging about how tough they are in here. I'm on the other end.

Low pain tolerance here. Stubbing a toe disables me for a while.

Not really ever hurt myself super badly, worst pain I've ever felt was a really nasty leg cramp which hurt a lot.

You know what they say, YOLO, so be careful, if you damage yourself, its your only life!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    Ddmkm122 and Grosstoad like this.
  5. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

It varies for me. Some kinds I can ignore, other kinds kind of dominate my attention. On the whole, I'm more on the wuss side than the stoic side. I don't like pain.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. Trilonias

Trilonias I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm with tehelgee here. Varies, but sticking to wussiness. Of course, that's if I notice. There have been times... But then again, I also try to avoid when I can. Doesn't always work, let me tell ya. 2nd degree burns on the face HURT. Getting the skin scraped off so you can heal from said burn however is WORSE. 8cc of morphine didn't help.

Anyways, I'd say low pain tolerance.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  7. Adyen

Adyen Experienced.

My pain tolerance is ok. My dentist gave me a discount cause I didn't need much icing to take out my tooth or repair cavities and I just kinda felt the whole process the entire time.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. Valette-Serafina

Valette-Serafina Shameless Shadow

Fairly low, I think.
    Dental anaesthetic doesn't quite work properly on me, so that's not fun, and I just can't stand headaches, which I get fairly often.
    That said, I barely notice light cuts or the like. Also, my reaction to most injuries tends to be hysterical laughter rather than crying.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. Plotvitalnpc

Plotvitalnpc Personification Personified

Nonexistent, when I stub my toe the pain makes me nauseous.

Ddmkm122 and Valette-Serafina like this.
  10. akitsu91

akitsu91 Out-rageous!

Dentist doing his thing with my teeth: Painful
    Kick my toe: Kill me now!
    Accidentally drilling into my hand: Nothing

11. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

Loooow~

Nekraa is bad with pain.

12. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Minor injuries always hurt worse than major ones. It's called endorphines. I don't know why people still think otherwise.

For myself? Considerable. I get full on sensory migraines. The kind that put me in a group statistically more likely to die from drug overdose or suicide than any other single cause. I've been forced to reset my own broken leg, and it was comparatively minor to my serious headaches, and almost pleasant compared to the truly bad ones. I'm told childbirth is nothing in comparison, though I've not exactly experienced that. Apparently, the only thing that is generally agreed upon as worse is being set on fire. Though I've luckily never had that happen to me, either.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  13. Master of Squirrel-fu

Master of Squirrel-fu The Original

Mine is remarkably high, I'm also remarkably durable. I've gotten back up with nary a scratch from riding a speeding bike into a ditch and flipping it, slept through falling five feet prone onto my back alot of times as a kid, once ripped open my knee without realizing it (only knew it was bad when someone noticed the blood on my pants) and needed to get stitches. Another time I accidentally cut a quarter-inch hole in my thumb. And took a face full of metal during a car crash when I wasn't wearing a seatbelt in the back of a van and only got a busted lip.

Some times I wonder if I'm a highlander.

Edit: Also slight masochist, especially for painfully hot showers.

14. Princess Magnificent

Princess Magnificent WIth Lips of Coral And Robes of Black Feathers

I used to think I had a low pain tolerance.

A couple of months ago, though, my dog stuck a paw in my left eye, scratching my sclera pretty badly. It was friday evening, so I decided to go to bed and see what things were like in the morning. They were still pretty goddamn bad, so I went to the hospital, where the doctor seemed very impressed that I'd managed to sleep at all with the pain, or that I'd managed to hold out on going to the hospital as long as I had.

I mean, it DID hurt, but I had plenty of audiobooks to listen to, and they put my mind off things quite nicely.

Ddmkm122, Cu Roi and Valette-Serafina like this.
  15. ultima333

ultima333 Happy Sunflower Time Administrator

Some things I can kind of just shrug off, saying 'it's just a bit of pain, ignore it'. Other things, however, I can't. My dog accidentally bites me while playing? Meh, shrug it off. Stub my toe? Shrug it off. Burn my hand? Eh, the pain will go away in a minute or two.
    Most things I can just shrug off by saying "Ouch" out loud and trying to ignore it. Other things, not so much.

Bump my ingrown toe? FUUUUU---
    Dentist accidentally poke a nerve in my mouth? GAAAH!
    Ice cream headache? WHYYYYY!

So against 'sharp' pains like punctures or scratches, I guess I'm slightly above average, but other types of sensitivity, not so much.

Ddmkm122 and Cu Roi like this.
  16. Princess Magnificent

Oh yeah, that said, I do not recommend having a dog's paw stuck in your eye. Avoid it if you can.

17. Jaertin

Jaertin Versed in the lewd.

Sort of middlish? Unexpected pain, like stubbing a toe disables me for a few seconds, but if I expect it I can deal. Constant pain is annoying but tolerable.

I handled two impacted wisdom teeth and their removal without much grumbling and have had no problems with dentistry or orthodontic work.

Plus a lifetime of all the canker sores forever. (BTW if you have that problem? Wasabi. Apply directly to the problem and leave for minimum 30 seconds. It'll be gone by next morning. If you catch them early it doesn't even really hurt, it's been a godsend.)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. Princess Magnificent

Hilariously enough, AFTER I'd had my eye scratched by dog claws, I went to a hair dresser, and she asked me what was wrong, and when I told her, she said, "oh, I had a similar problem, three weeks ago, I impaled my eye on a broken radio antenna."

Apparently she went back to work after three days.

Ddmkm122 and Cu Roi like this.
  19. Banichi

Banichi 9/10ths Lurker Member

Decent, I think.
    Slipped on ice last march, and still spent another hour walking around outside, looking for a lost thing. Didn't realize I'd broken it until I tried taking my coat off.
    Surgery for an ingrown/infected toenail without anesthetic most of a decade ago.
    Bicycling accident needing three staples in my skull as a teen, they hurt more coming out than getting any of the other scar leaving injuries from that did. Found out recently it damaged my spine.
    Playing with a lighter and bubblegum at the same age, I found it is essentially napalm in solid form. Big lump of scar tissue on my middle finger from that. Never saw a doctor for it.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  20. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

High.

Way back when I was really young(two or three, maybe younger), I had this hugely massive ear infection. According to my mom, when the doctors were treating it, they ended up taking two cups of fluids out of my ear. It was supposed to be really painful, but since it happened when I was really young my brain apparently adapted to that as "Normal operation parameters."

End result? High pain tolerance.

When I was eight, I ended up shattering my elbow to the point where amputation was apparently a serious consideration.

The only reason I rushed to my parents was because my arm was visibly out of place(looked dislocated) and the doctors didn't buy that it was broke until they x-rayed since I wasn't screaming.

A couple years ago, I got my hand broken in gym class and just thought it was sore after getting hit by a hockey stick. My Mom keeps telling me it's broke and a couple days later drags me to get it x-rayed. Doctor there didn't buy that it was broke since, among other things, I shook his hand with my broken one but had it x-rayed to humor my mom. When it turned out that it was broke, he was pretty shocked, but put a cast on it.

After the cast came off, he was telling me that my hand would be too stiff and sore to move well for a couple days. In the middle of his speech, I was flexing my hand and had already gotten it back to full mobility.

Plus, all of the smaller injuries and such that I never notice until I stumble across them a few days later. I can't tell you how many times I've found a sliver or a cut or a bruise or whatever while showering that I had no idea I had even gotten to begin with.

21. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

That sounds less like high pain tolerance and more a lack of(or weak) pain sensation. Tolerance means you still feel it, you can just ignore it or cope. You talk as if you mostly didn't feel it at all.

22. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Maybe on the low end, I guess?

I don't really feel little things like slivers or scraps that I get from wherever.

With my various broken bones, there was sort of a throbbing ache, but it was pretty ignorable. For my elbow, I remember that I was going to walk it off, up until I saw it was out of place. For my hand I literally did walk it off since I walked home from high school.

*shrug*

I guess I don't really have a good perspective for it?

Ddmkm122, Valette-Serafina and Cu Roi like this.