1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is everyone on QQ so cynical?

Discussion in 'General' started by Daytripper, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

I’m guessing your religion doesn’t contain people espousing the idea of multiple afterlives including one where you will never know anything but misery?

OverMaster, Xicree, Dakkaface and 2 others like this.
  2. NuclearBird

NuclearBird Lustful Sacraments Muted

Do you have any comebacks that aren't refurbished reddit-tier fedora takes at traditions?

3. Amazon Climber

Depends. Do you actually have anything substantive to say?

4. NuclearBird

Do you?
    [​IMG]

Back to the topic at hand, you happen to be the perfect case study at the moment, for why people are becoming such assholes over time: They get an asshole response one too many times when an asshole decides to be unnecessarily assholish about a specific topic one too many times.

What's your fucking problem with religious beliefs, particularly afterlives? This isn't the first time you went off on religions because of that?
    You peobably don't even fucking have a religion, so what gives?

Winterwell, N1399, civiulas and 6 others like this.
  5. Autocorruptor

Autocorruptor Corrupting Innocent Grammar

We are getting uncomfortably close to rule 8 territory. Can both of you please calm down?

Least Devotee likes this.
  6. anap1

anap1 Gone for Good

i dont actually mind it all that much, its just something i thought could maybe help.
    if he doesnt like it thats fine with me.

Least Devotee and Amazon Climber like this.
  7. Vorian

Vorian Versed in the lewd.

You pretty much answered your own question,

and QQ really isn't the place to get deeper into the topic.

8. Amazon Climber

I stand by my fuck off. I’m not going to justify comparing prohibition to mask and vaccine mandates with any other response.
    Well you’re completely wrong, for one. I am religious. In fact, I belong to one of those religions where people keep claiming there’s multiple afterlives, one where people never know anything but misery. Which means, even though I don’t think they’re right, because I don’t think God is sick like that, there’s always that little doubt: That I’m going to suffer for all eternity, either being tortured or being a Good German.

The problem I have with religious beliefs is that people think they have them, and think it makes them righteous, when they’re really just justifying their own malice. So many pretty little gleaming parapets that are just elaborate sepulchers. Is it any wonder I’m a cynic?

OverMaster, Xicree, FTR2017 and 3 others like this.
  9. Renko

Renko Look closer ~☆

Guys? Can we break this whole thing up now?

I'm pretty sure this is just going to head to something that will eventually break one of the rules.

The mods will descend to upon this thread like a pack of vultures finding a newly deceased corpse if it happens...!

:eek:

Least Devotee and Autocorruptor like this.
  10. John_Oakman

John_Oakman Come touch my hentai machine

Rules, like hymens, are meant to be broken!

Least Devotee and awesomecow like this.
  11. Amazon Climber

Hymens are meant to be gently and patiently stretched until they’re no longer an obstacle, and in fact nobody even notices their existence. Which is a much more apt metaphor for rules.

Simonbob, Xicree, Dakkaface and 3 others like this.
  12. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

You break the rules, we break you.

That being said, remember this is NOT in the Rants area. So some tempers I see better cool down or else.

13. Blackwell121

Blackwell121 Getting sticky.

Back on track.
    There is fine line between cynism and straight apathy, once crossed you will find it hard to get back into caring side of life. I remember when I had this anger issues that kept being bottled up and burning everything else out inside, then one day I woke up, mind clearer then ever and reached an epiphany. "Nothing really matters in the long run, so why should I give a fuck anymore?" Apathy just gives you that ability accept everything as it is and not let anything affect you.

Sure I miss out on the joy spectrum a lot, but all the grief I get to sidestep seems like even trade. Taking into the account I get more negatives to deal with on day 2 day basis I would even say it is good deal.

knyght, da3monh0st3d, FTR2017 and 2 others like this.
  14. Cherico

Cherico Connoisseur.

Things kind of suck right now all round and people respond to that

FTR2017, Vorian and Venyr4434 like this.
  15. NuclearBirb

NuclearBirb A mysterious birb.

Cynicism is a lot more normal these days, and a very valid response. You know, when you look at what's around you, and see that the most cynical belief of what's going to happen keeps on happening, repeatedly, and without end? You get cynical, because history shows you it's the outright correct option. This is absolutely not helped by a deeply divided and in pain political structure in America, or some Evangelical Christians tainting religion and spirituality for vast swathes of the populace. Combine that with a general societal structure, that, for the last 80 or so years, had been at least kind of working for some people, is now falling apart and not working for anyone. Cynicism in general is a lot more common - And it only gets worse when you enter spaces commonly inhabited by people with disabilities - Because we feel the pain of the system failing even harder then most. I've got autism myself, and i've been failed by just about every system i've been involved in since I was five - Is it any wonder that I'm cynical? If we were in Worm, quite a few of us would have Triggered and gotten superpowers already. And even that's a reward, because at least that guarantees you a life path, even considering the grimderp of the setting. Even the most horrific of our fantasies and stories these days don't seem all that different from reality, and that tends to drive us into cynicism, or apathy. Generally, i've reached the point where i'm a lot more apathetic - but with bursts of intense negative emotion. Legit, i think the last time i had a really strong positive reaction was getting my waifu in a fucking gacha game - The world sucks. We all known it. That's why we're cynical. apathetic, or pessimistic. Why look on the bright side when it's so hard to find, and the dark side keeps dickslapping you every time you look away?

16. Aaron Fox

Aaron Fox That Crazy/Not-Crazy Guy

Here's a saying from one of my settings: A Cynic is a realist that is depressed with the world.

... which describes what realists are dealing with right now.

17. NuclearBird

"How does it feel, knowing you'll live to see the end of the world, but remember how good things were before?"
    "*sob*"

We're so fucked, my man. So, so, fucked. It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

18. Aaron Fox

No, we're just seeing a situation where things change so radically that what we consider right is wrong and what we consider wrong is right, in a sense. Think of it as when the 2nd Industrial Revolution was coming to a head back in the 1800s and made the idea of slavery, well, questionable at best alongside all sorts of things.

It should also be noted that a lot of people assume people like Hobbes, Locke, Machiavelli, the Chinese Legalists (i.e. the philosophy of Legalism), and those like them were complete and utter idiots when the sad reality is, um... they're closer to the money than you expect. We kept ignoring them and yet still try to work with people who prove them right.

Please note that if anything goes pear-shaped, I'm a dead man walking because I'm only a few blocks from ground zero, a fair distance from a second ground zero, and across town from a third ground zero. Yes, I'm that fucked.

Autocorruptor likes this.
  19. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

I mean... the end of the world has always been looming for those who actually have eyes.

But it's not like if we cant avoid it. There's always hope that we can get our shit together and figure out how to survive it/make things better.

The problem this time really is one of scale and getting the collective human animal on a similar enough page fast enough to make use of the time we have. Not impossible at all... just fucking frustrating because no matter what steps are taken towards a better tomorrow, there's always a group giving push back, if only because that's the nature of a healthy community, to always have someone pushing back against a new idea.

It just sucks when the pushback is in a direction detrimental to survival.

But losing hope is literally always the worst choice. Because yes, hope is a choice... the choice to keep diving in and going for it even if the chances approach nil... because if you don't hold on to hope and keep Trying to do something then you'll miss even the sliver of opportunity that might pass you by.

Aaron Fox, TheKingOfHeroes and Renko like this.
  20. Maragas

Maragas Versed in the lewd.

I don't think so. Hell, it doesn't even feel that different from a decade ago.

Which is surprising when considering my country's economy went to shit.

21. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

If the site is too cynical for you, you always can just, you know, walk away.

But you aren't going to change anyone or make them rethink their life view choices with a thread with a passively-agressively shaming title, if that's the intent. That's just borderline battered wife thinking syndrome.

In my personal case? You wanna know why I am cynical? Okay, I'll tell ya.

MY LIFE IS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN FUCKING HORRIBLE.

[​IMG]

22. Aaron Fox

My life might not be as shit as yours, but I have enough shit that I got the 'life is shit' mug, t-shirt, and I'm probably forgetting half a dozen other souvenirs too. The reason that I haven't gone to suicide is that, after my brief stint at a mental hospital, I discovered that I'm not going to give life the satisfaction of making me take my own life. Life, you can take your fucking lemons back.

Vorian likes this.
  23. Vladicus

Vladicus Sage of reason and incomplete information

People are miserable and cynic because they are fed information that feeds into that idea. I believe it's partly the media's fault as that's where most people get their information on current events from and they don't exists to deliver you the news, they exist to deliver outrage and pieces of information that will either feed into your own biases, make you really angry or both.

This does not happen because private media is evil, or some other nonsense, but because they're companies whose survival depends on people being interested in what they're saying and paying to hear more of it. Same applies for state run media as the ones they need to satisfy are the government who pays them and they only allow things they want other people to hear to be published.

Do you want to hear some good news to lift up your day?

We currently have many systems capable of erasing the Pacific garbage patch within a decade. And guess what people want to see it done and get invested in it a it has huge potential to bring them profit so nobody has a real interest in bringing it down like it happened with some inventions in the past.

[​IMG]

The most powerful weapon you can have in real life is not a gun, nor is it an airplane or even nukes, it's a damn camera and an internet connection/TV that is uncensored. People's opinions are shaped by what we hear, and the ones that we trust to tell us the important things will always sell us narratives and worst of it all is that this is not a political issue, as all sides of the political spectrum do the same thing, because they need to do it in order to survive. Good news don't sell, telling people that statistically the entire world is better and better each year does not sell, showing people the good that happens in their community is worse than not covering anything as it loses the media companies money if they do it too often.

You want people to be happier and realize just how good their life is/can be if they work for it? Remove all censorship, give everyone cameras and an internet connection and let them speak and see how beautiful the world is.

All this world wide unrest is born out of censorship, and the people abusing it and us for their own agenda.

A person's voice is their greatest weapon and the large institutions in all countries have been turning it against the people while doing their best to silence ours. No wonder people are depressed and cynical when the only thing they've been told is just emotional attacks after emotional attacks.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  24. Amazon Climber

This is a lovely dream. Let’s see how it panned out in the real world. Huh, looks like there’s still hundreds of millions of people claiming COVID is a hoax and vaccines are evil.

We have freer access to information than we’ve ever had before, but people are still people.

25. Vladicus

There's always gonna be idiots and people that now have an instinctual distrust of everything the government says after it lied so many times before. The war drugs started on the government of the USA lying and misleading the public and after such examples of government lying to them, people(americans especially, but Europe is getting there) now distrust everything that comes out of the government's mouth. I live in Europe and I see that in my mother and Aunt as they go and distrust everything the government says and find for the most distrusted by government sources they can get.

You'll find that most anti government reactions/narratives are not reactions to what they're doing saying now, but the lies and misleading statements they said in the past. It's how traumatized people react, even to other people's kindness after the abuse ended, they will think it will come back even if it doesn't come, problem is, it never stops and people realize that the same people that emotionally abused us in the past are still running the show.

Autocorruptor and anhrefn like this.
  26. Amazon Climber

That’s certainly one theory. The problem is that the conspiracy theorist narrative isn’t just anti-government, and it’s not just prevalent among people who’ve been victimized by prior government misinformation.

A better explanation? There’s a whole lot of people in the world who really want to feel special, and a whole lot of predators trying to sell them that feeling.

27. Vladicus

But they do exist, and nothing says the two are mutually exclusive, I even admitted that there's a lot of idiots around.

28. Aaron Fox

That isn't the case, I'm afraid. You better read the MIT paper Electronic Communities: World Village or Cyber Balkans and look into Transhuman Space's memetics.

One is pure and simple human condition interacting with technology, the other is our biological hardwiring coming to kill us.

Amazon Climber likes this.
  29. OverMaster

OverMaster Well worn.

Yeah, I'm sure that all of the starving children in Africa are only miserable and doomed to cynicism as armed enforcers or the victims of said local enforcers because the TV and their inexistent smartphones told them so.

In truth their bellies are full and they have a bright future ahead.

30. ThePoarter

ThePoarter Gone for Good

I think the best that describes me is being a Knight in Sour Armor. Life sucks and the world is a terrible place. Still worth helping. But it's not hard to feel really cynical about it.

For example I tried to ask nearby aboriginal groups multiple times if I could help them with any issues but got no reply. Shows how little people actually do care.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    me-meboi and Vorian like this.