Chapter 1213
Malcolm Tent
Monkey with a typewriter.
- Joined
- Oct 16, 2020
- Messages
- 8,626
- Likes received
- 521,114
While I began work on my biggest project to date, I sent one of my demons to go get my sister. Callie, who was eager to help, was mostly confused by my reasoning there. "I get why you need me," she said bluntly. "But why Chelsea? We're inverting the timepiece when it's done, right? Are you going to make two and try to combine them?"
"That's an interesting idea," I said thoughtfully. "But no. It's more specific than that. Basically, the Belial flame, which is part of Agares, is corruptive. It's based on my toxic fire, and then even moreso on Belial's ability to subvert everything. It's very different from Peaceflame, but it's NOT the opposite." I'd been putting a lot of thought into this, and while injecting Peaceflame into the completed anchor item might have fixed the issue, it wasn't going to be enough to steadily act as a foundation for one of my demons.
Callie couldn't invert corruption into Peaceflame, because while she had SOME influence on the results of her vault's inversion, she needed to work off what she had.
That's where Chelsea came in. I explained my reasoning to my wife as we waited. My sister's concept was yin yang. Not just combining, but balancing in a certain way. The yang and the yin weren't just pure opposites. They each contained a speck of the other.
Her eyes widened. "OH!" she said excitedly. "That's brilliant. If Chelsea uses Peaceflame and that corruptive fire to form a diagram, it'll inject a tiny spark of each into the other within the item. When I invert it, that spark will act as a guide, smoothly flipping the diagram from one side to the other, allowing Peaceflame to act as the direct counterpoint despite not normally being the right fit."
I tapped my nose. "Got it in one," I said smugly. "After seeing what our Domains can do working together against Deveskane and his boss, I figured it would behoove us to try seeing what kind of synergies our allies have with us. Chelsea in particular is an almost perfect complement to your vault."
She hummed with interest, clearly thinking it over, but I was already moving to the next step. Sitting down, I called up and incarnated Agares, boosting him to S-rank with the staff. I winced when I did. I already had Dantalion at S, and with the staff and I at the same rank, pushing two skills was testing my limits. I closed my eyes, focusing on the thrum of my pulse, and pushed past the small undercurrent of pain.
It wasn't too bad, thankfully, just a vague sense of discomfort. From there, I began the process of creation.
I had a few goals with this timepiece, so I went over them in my head. First: I needed a base timepiece for the new demon. Second, I wanted that base timepiece to represent the power of future timepieces I was planning to make at least somewhat, which meant Peaceflame, and I wanted it to represent my watchmaking as a whole.
There was a lot to cover. But ultimately, the most important factor was the skill itself. Adding Peaceflames would help make these specific timepieces easier, but it wasn't integral to the process. Mostly it was just convenient to scrub the toxicity from the materials.
Which begged the question: how do you make a watch that represents making watches?
Funnily enough, phrasing it that way actually helped. I knew how to make watches, knew the parts, the process. So my first task would be to represent those parts and that process. I reached out with my mind, Agares coming to my call as I constructed my first piece. The mainspring barrel.
I didn't start small. Not yet. Rather, I called the dust from the depths of my ring and crafted the first piece in a larger size so I could perfectly sculpt every bit of the object. It was huge, the size of a plate, but it didn't matter. I could compress it later, and it would only improve the durability. I left it floating there, then moved on. Hairspring. Crown wheel. Regulator.
One piece after another came forth, and after each one, I could feel the information, the shape, flowing a little smoother. They floated in the air, obsidian glass perfection, with flickers of green light dancing along the refracting edges.
The parts spun and clicked in the air, creating a giant model of a watch, a manifestation of my craft. I grinned, doubling down. My hands sped up, calling the dust out and shaping it, sending gears and springs whirling into place. It felt like music. Like a symphony of creation. I added more, letting the process take me, letting the complications pile up. Twenty, thirty, fifty. It was the most complex timepiece I'd ever made.
It built, and built, and I felt something gathering in the air. Meaning. Fate. I had no real idea what it was but it was peaking and I needed to finish this construction soon. I started to compress, even while I worked, the dust was condensed, packed tighter, and the parts all began to shrink. They all got smaller at the same rate, remaining perfectly to scale, in fact, they got smoother and more refined as I forced the impurities out.
The watch band took shape, slats of obsidian connected one to the next, a folding latch to close the band. Then came the hands of the clock, then the face, then the dials. Before long, it was finished, and I held up the hand with the watch. "Chelsea," I called without looking up.
My sister stepped up next to me. "Go ahead," she said calmly. I nodded, then called for Peaceflame with my other hand. She raised her palms and a diagram manifested above the watch, half black, half white, but with a speck of each in the other. Except the black half was DEEP and glossy, just like the obsidian, and the white was dull and flickering.
I pushed the Peaceflame toward it, and the diagram blurred. The white in the wheel began to brighten, sucking in the fire. Alongside it, the pinprick of white among the glassy black strengthened.
It took a few minutes of pouring in power before the watch diagram reached saturation. "It's done," Chelsea said, sounding winded.
Nodding, I set it down, letting my two S-rank incarnations drop. I groaned, holding my skull as all the backlash I'd been ignoring during the crafting hit me all at once. I did not enjoy the sensation.
But I was used to pain. I pushed past it, then lifted the watch to pass it to Callie. "Ready?"
She nodded, took the watch, then vanished. It didn't take long for her to return, and when she did, she held out a new item. Something completely different to what I'd seen before. And as I took it in…I froze.
"It's beautiful," my sister murmured as she beheld the work of art. And she was right. It was.
The design of the watch was the same. Same bezel, same face, same shape. But everything about it had completely changed. Where before, the obsidian gloss had given the watch a menacing, dangerous look, the material had altered states. Rather than black obsidian, the watch was made of perfectly clear crystal. Among the gears, golden swirls spun and shifted, following the pathways of the clockwork.
Despite being merely energy, and the object itself being clear, the dancing waves of golden-white fire gave the impression that parts of the timepiece were gilded, covered with gold or maybe platinum.
With the clear material I could see every single facet of the watch construction flawlessly, both the shapes and the motion. Somehow the edges of the obsidian, the sharp faceted faces and the cruel corners, looked smooth and friendly on the new timepiece. Despite being the same shape, this one was just…kinder. By nature.
Swallowing, I called for Dust Construction, releasing the demon into the world. He was ready and waiting for this, but when he saw me, then the watch, he froze, just as in awe as I was.
"This," I said as I held it up. "Is a Celestial Timepiece." I wasn't sure how I knew that. Maybe Dantalion told me. However it was, it was undisputable. That was the name of this object, no matter what anyone said. "Are you ready for your reincarnation?"
This wasn't a new idea. Or at least, not TOO new. I'd considered it last night, and made sure to speak with my demon earlier. Given the radical changes reincarnation could bring, I made sure to always consult the demons on what they were getting into. Some turned it down, some were excited about it. Dust Construction was the latter.
He nodded solemnly, staring longingly at the timepiece, and I called for the next part of this. Brad emerged behind us. Stepping forward, he raised a hand. In front of Dust Construction's chest, a hole emerged. It was an innocuous thing, but dark and deep. Something empty inside Dust Construction. I could SEE what it was. See the truth of it, and it made me shudder a little. Brad had hit tier nine over the break, and his powers felt…different. I'd missed it last time, when he was working on Eye of Revelation. Or it hadn't required as much for some reason.
Stepping forward, I lifted the crystalline watch, gently feeding it into the hole in the air. Dust Construction shook slightly, falling into a nearby seat someone had prepared.
The change to Eye of Revelation had been slight. He'd remained mostly the same after integrating the monocle, though admittedly, that wasn't the timepiece, and that process was ongoing. This though, this was a big change.
Dust Construction had been tall and pale with dark hair and eyes. His nails, lips, even his teeth had all been glossy, obsidian black. But as I watched him integrate the timepiece, I could see so many small differences. His hair bleached out, becoming white with the occasional streak of molten gold. His eyes shifted to golden flames, his lips, teeth, and nails to porcelain white.
By the time it was over, Dust Construction…no, that wasn't his name anymore. Celestial Fabrication. He was stronger now. Tier seven. Integrating the watch had pushed him a rank.
I dismissed the two demons, still in a state of inspiration, though I gave them both nods of thanks. Once they were gone, I called upon incarnation, bringing Celestial Fabrication to the forefront.
Waving my hand, I dumped a bunch of materials from my ring onto the table. I needed them for this, I knew. Dust Construction was a resource alteration skill at its core. His upgrade might have changed some specifics, but it didn't change HIM. Not really. Waving a hand, the items floated up into the air, I focused, and a burst of Peaceflame erupted from my hands.
Slowly, almost agonizingly so, the white gold flame began to erode the materials. They melted and warped, flowing into a crystalline mass that hardened and then dissolved into a glassy crystal clear dust.
My lips peeled back in an excited grin as the material reshaped itself before my eyes. A mainspring, a bezel, all of it seamless and effortless. It was like the watch parts were part of ME, like I was reconstructing my own hands from memory. Knowledge from Dantalion, from myself, from nowhere at all, it all poured into my brain like a waterfall of molten diamond. I'd forgotten what skills could do, especially when it came to something like crafting.
The material was naturally made with Peaceflame, so pouring more in was like pouring water over a sponge, the watch just soaking it all up. It took maybe a minute all told, and when I was done, a beautiful watch specifically designed to act as a guide, amplifier and conductor of Peaceflame was glittering flawlessly in my hands. I looked up at Callie, grinning like an idiot under my mask. "It's done," I said, raising my hands to display the timepiece. Now I just had to train Celestial Fabrication up two ranks. Guess it was time to do some grinding.
"That's an interesting idea," I said thoughtfully. "But no. It's more specific than that. Basically, the Belial flame, which is part of Agares, is corruptive. It's based on my toxic fire, and then even moreso on Belial's ability to subvert everything. It's very different from Peaceflame, but it's NOT the opposite." I'd been putting a lot of thought into this, and while injecting Peaceflame into the completed anchor item might have fixed the issue, it wasn't going to be enough to steadily act as a foundation for one of my demons.
Callie couldn't invert corruption into Peaceflame, because while she had SOME influence on the results of her vault's inversion, she needed to work off what she had.
That's where Chelsea came in. I explained my reasoning to my wife as we waited. My sister's concept was yin yang. Not just combining, but balancing in a certain way. The yang and the yin weren't just pure opposites. They each contained a speck of the other.
Her eyes widened. "OH!" she said excitedly. "That's brilliant. If Chelsea uses Peaceflame and that corruptive fire to form a diagram, it'll inject a tiny spark of each into the other within the item. When I invert it, that spark will act as a guide, smoothly flipping the diagram from one side to the other, allowing Peaceflame to act as the direct counterpoint despite not normally being the right fit."
I tapped my nose. "Got it in one," I said smugly. "After seeing what our Domains can do working together against Deveskane and his boss, I figured it would behoove us to try seeing what kind of synergies our allies have with us. Chelsea in particular is an almost perfect complement to your vault."
She hummed with interest, clearly thinking it over, but I was already moving to the next step. Sitting down, I called up and incarnated Agares, boosting him to S-rank with the staff. I winced when I did. I already had Dantalion at S, and with the staff and I at the same rank, pushing two skills was testing my limits. I closed my eyes, focusing on the thrum of my pulse, and pushed past the small undercurrent of pain.
It wasn't too bad, thankfully, just a vague sense of discomfort. From there, I began the process of creation.
I had a few goals with this timepiece, so I went over them in my head. First: I needed a base timepiece for the new demon. Second, I wanted that base timepiece to represent the power of future timepieces I was planning to make at least somewhat, which meant Peaceflame, and I wanted it to represent my watchmaking as a whole.
There was a lot to cover. But ultimately, the most important factor was the skill itself. Adding Peaceflames would help make these specific timepieces easier, but it wasn't integral to the process. Mostly it was just convenient to scrub the toxicity from the materials.
Which begged the question: how do you make a watch that represents making watches?
Funnily enough, phrasing it that way actually helped. I knew how to make watches, knew the parts, the process. So my first task would be to represent those parts and that process. I reached out with my mind, Agares coming to my call as I constructed my first piece. The mainspring barrel.
I didn't start small. Not yet. Rather, I called the dust from the depths of my ring and crafted the first piece in a larger size so I could perfectly sculpt every bit of the object. It was huge, the size of a plate, but it didn't matter. I could compress it later, and it would only improve the durability. I left it floating there, then moved on. Hairspring. Crown wheel. Regulator.
One piece after another came forth, and after each one, I could feel the information, the shape, flowing a little smoother. They floated in the air, obsidian glass perfection, with flickers of green light dancing along the refracting edges.
The parts spun and clicked in the air, creating a giant model of a watch, a manifestation of my craft. I grinned, doubling down. My hands sped up, calling the dust out and shaping it, sending gears and springs whirling into place. It felt like music. Like a symphony of creation. I added more, letting the process take me, letting the complications pile up. Twenty, thirty, fifty. It was the most complex timepiece I'd ever made.
It built, and built, and I felt something gathering in the air. Meaning. Fate. I had no real idea what it was but it was peaking and I needed to finish this construction soon. I started to compress, even while I worked, the dust was condensed, packed tighter, and the parts all began to shrink. They all got smaller at the same rate, remaining perfectly to scale, in fact, they got smoother and more refined as I forced the impurities out.
The watch band took shape, slats of obsidian connected one to the next, a folding latch to close the band. Then came the hands of the clock, then the face, then the dials. Before long, it was finished, and I held up the hand with the watch. "Chelsea," I called without looking up.
My sister stepped up next to me. "Go ahead," she said calmly. I nodded, then called for Peaceflame with my other hand. She raised her palms and a diagram manifested above the watch, half black, half white, but with a speck of each in the other. Except the black half was DEEP and glossy, just like the obsidian, and the white was dull and flickering.
I pushed the Peaceflame toward it, and the diagram blurred. The white in the wheel began to brighten, sucking in the fire. Alongside it, the pinprick of white among the glassy black strengthened.
It took a few minutes of pouring in power before the watch diagram reached saturation. "It's done," Chelsea said, sounding winded.
Nodding, I set it down, letting my two S-rank incarnations drop. I groaned, holding my skull as all the backlash I'd been ignoring during the crafting hit me all at once. I did not enjoy the sensation.
But I was used to pain. I pushed past it, then lifted the watch to pass it to Callie. "Ready?"
She nodded, took the watch, then vanished. It didn't take long for her to return, and when she did, she held out a new item. Something completely different to what I'd seen before. And as I took it in…I froze.
"It's beautiful," my sister murmured as she beheld the work of art. And she was right. It was.
The design of the watch was the same. Same bezel, same face, same shape. But everything about it had completely changed. Where before, the obsidian gloss had given the watch a menacing, dangerous look, the material had altered states. Rather than black obsidian, the watch was made of perfectly clear crystal. Among the gears, golden swirls spun and shifted, following the pathways of the clockwork.
Despite being merely energy, and the object itself being clear, the dancing waves of golden-white fire gave the impression that parts of the timepiece were gilded, covered with gold or maybe platinum.
With the clear material I could see every single facet of the watch construction flawlessly, both the shapes and the motion. Somehow the edges of the obsidian, the sharp faceted faces and the cruel corners, looked smooth and friendly on the new timepiece. Despite being the same shape, this one was just…kinder. By nature.
Swallowing, I called for Dust Construction, releasing the demon into the world. He was ready and waiting for this, but when he saw me, then the watch, he froze, just as in awe as I was.
"This," I said as I held it up. "Is a Celestial Timepiece." I wasn't sure how I knew that. Maybe Dantalion told me. However it was, it was undisputable. That was the name of this object, no matter what anyone said. "Are you ready for your reincarnation?"
This wasn't a new idea. Or at least, not TOO new. I'd considered it last night, and made sure to speak with my demon earlier. Given the radical changes reincarnation could bring, I made sure to always consult the demons on what they were getting into. Some turned it down, some were excited about it. Dust Construction was the latter.
He nodded solemnly, staring longingly at the timepiece, and I called for the next part of this. Brad emerged behind us. Stepping forward, he raised a hand. In front of Dust Construction's chest, a hole emerged. It was an innocuous thing, but dark and deep. Something empty inside Dust Construction. I could SEE what it was. See the truth of it, and it made me shudder a little. Brad had hit tier nine over the break, and his powers felt…different. I'd missed it last time, when he was working on Eye of Revelation. Or it hadn't required as much for some reason.
Stepping forward, I lifted the crystalline watch, gently feeding it into the hole in the air. Dust Construction shook slightly, falling into a nearby seat someone had prepared.
The change to Eye of Revelation had been slight. He'd remained mostly the same after integrating the monocle, though admittedly, that wasn't the timepiece, and that process was ongoing. This though, this was a big change.
Dust Construction had been tall and pale with dark hair and eyes. His nails, lips, even his teeth had all been glossy, obsidian black. But as I watched him integrate the timepiece, I could see so many small differences. His hair bleached out, becoming white with the occasional streak of molten gold. His eyes shifted to golden flames, his lips, teeth, and nails to porcelain white.
By the time it was over, Dust Construction…no, that wasn't his name anymore. Celestial Fabrication. He was stronger now. Tier seven. Integrating the watch had pushed him a rank.
I dismissed the two demons, still in a state of inspiration, though I gave them both nods of thanks. Once they were gone, I called upon incarnation, bringing Celestial Fabrication to the forefront.
Waving my hand, I dumped a bunch of materials from my ring onto the table. I needed them for this, I knew. Dust Construction was a resource alteration skill at its core. His upgrade might have changed some specifics, but it didn't change HIM. Not really. Waving a hand, the items floated up into the air, I focused, and a burst of Peaceflame erupted from my hands.
Slowly, almost agonizingly so, the white gold flame began to erode the materials. They melted and warped, flowing into a crystalline mass that hardened and then dissolved into a glassy crystal clear dust.
My lips peeled back in an excited grin as the material reshaped itself before my eyes. A mainspring, a bezel, all of it seamless and effortless. It was like the watch parts were part of ME, like I was reconstructing my own hands from memory. Knowledge from Dantalion, from myself, from nowhere at all, it all poured into my brain like a waterfall of molten diamond. I'd forgotten what skills could do, especially when it came to something like crafting.
The material was naturally made with Peaceflame, so pouring more in was like pouring water over a sponge, the watch just soaking it all up. It took maybe a minute all told, and when I was done, a beautiful watch specifically designed to act as a guide, amplifier and conductor of Peaceflame was glittering flawlessly in my hands. I looked up at Callie, grinning like an idiot under my mask. "It's done," I said, raising my hands to display the timepiece. Now I just had to train Celestial Fabrication up two ranks. Guess it was time to do some grinding.