Chapter 1153
Malcolm Tent
Monkey with a typewriter.
- Joined
- Oct 16, 2020
- Messages
- 8,626
- Likes received
- 521,193
Principles of Time with Professor A.D Hawkins was, to put not too fine a point on it, located in a shithole. It was strange, because I hadn't known Moment City HAD shitholes, everything looked so nice and well maintained, but Hawkins managed it. His lawn was overgrown, his house had boards hanging off of it, there was a rusty sign hanging above his door that squeaked annoyingly every time a strong gust of wind came by.
Which is to say, it LOOKED like every abandoned house I'd ever seen…but without any actual damage. The boards were askew, but a tap made it clear they were solidly anchored, the lawn was overgrown, but it appeared to be JUST overgrown enough to look bad, and the sign…well, it was just a really annoying sign that someone had installed badly, but it was also obviously intentional. It made everything Elonwy had hinted at about tests for finding real knowledge seem a lot more reasonable, not that I'd doubted her before.
So when I knocked on the door and it swung open a crack to reveal a bloodshot eye behind a scratched glasses lens, I was less than surprised. "What?" barked the voice.
"Elonwy sent me," I said bluntly, not wanting to do the song and dance. "I'm signed up for the class. It hasn't started yet, right?" I shoved against the door, and the figure backed up, letting me pass as I bulldozed through the conversation. Elonwy had been very clear that this was the best way to get his attention in her instructions. "And how does that work? I'm sure I missed sessions, will I need to be caught up? Is there a textbook? Will you do a recap? And if so how often are those necessary?"
I entered the room at the end of the hall, assuming if the god behind me wanted me to stop he'd stop me, and then…froze. "Um…did I come at the wrong time?"
"No," he said with a sigh as he followed behind me. "You came at the perfect time. It's always the perfect time. Because no one ever takes this class. The ones who decide to give it a try usually see the outside of the house and turn back. It's not really worth the effort for just one credit." He grimaced. "Elonwy. That girl never could mind her business. Always picking up strays."
I chuckled, not that he seemed amused. "Well I'm registered to be here so…I'm ready to learn. Also I have a friend who signed up but she won't show up until tomorrow."
He grumbled. "Interrupting my damned research. Lousy kids. Fine. If you're signed up I guess I'm obligated." Walking over, he flopped onto the couch. "So. What exactly do you know about time?" I opened my mouth to answer but was cut off by a wooden duck the professor had snatched from a table and hurled at my skull. It bounced off my mask harmlessly, but it stunned me into silence. "Wrong," he snapped.
I blinked. "But I didn't say anything?"
"You were about to," he told me bluntly. "Which is wrong. The correct answer was silence, because you know NOTHING about time. Its warps, its wefts, its ups and downs. Time is complex, variable, unusual thing. I've been studying it for longer than the CONCEPT of your family has existed, and I've barely scratched its surface."
I held up both hands. "Noted, I don't know shit about time. That's why I'm here. So…educate me."
He rolled his eyes. "Educate me, he says. Like that's so easy. Fine, I'll try to dumb this down for you, brat. Telling you what I know about time would take centuries, so I find it is easier to begin not with what time is, but with what it is not, and more importantly, what it does not do. First lesson. Time doesn't pass."
"I'm…not sure what you mean by that," I said slowly. "Can you clarify?"
Contrary to my expectation, that seemed to please him rather than annoy him. "Good," he complimented. "Admitting ignorance is a sign of wisdom. What I just said is simple in concept, but difficult to grasp in scope. It is, however, exactly as I said. Time does not pass. Moments are not moving by, there is no STREAM of time, despite the use of that term in certain treatises. Rather, time is a stationary construct, through which we, as beings, journey."
I took a moment to digest that, considering the idea. "Alright," I said slowly. "What are the ramifications of that? For us, I mean."
"Manifold," he replied instantly. "Literally too many to count, but for the purposes of this discussion, the most impactful is the concept of compound energy drain and directionality. Most people who work with time will tell you that altering the flow of temporal energy gets more difficult the more you do it, the further you go. It does not. At least, not if you do it properly. Time is, in fact, a dimension of space, and movement through it is the traversal of imaginary distance."
"Wait, but time attribute energy and space attribute energy are totally different," I said in confusion. "I have an affinity for the latter and had to develop one for the former. The Dean said I'd need it."
He waved a hand dismissively. "Yes and no. Perception is reality for Ascendants. Time and space are treated as different disciplines, so the attributes are separate. The mechanics are…disparate. Time as a dimension of space is less structured at a physical level. It's in a complicated theoretical state. Regardless, many spatial manipulation techniques can have impressive effects when applied to temporal mechanisms."
I nodded along. "Ok. But mostly I'm here because I need to know how to use time attribute energy. Mythcrafting isn't a thing here, so I have no foundational basis for creating techniques or effects."
He raised an eyebrow at me. "You must have SOME temporal abilities, otherwise you wouldn't have been admitted. What can you do?"
"My Domain is…complicated, but I've manifested some of my techniques and abilities as entities," I did my best to explain. "I can access the powers of these demons at will, and they're all able to grow on their own. I have three with temporal capabilities."
I listed off the abilities of Mephistopheles, Overlay, and Limbo, and he listened patiently.
"Well," he said with interest. "I can see why my teacher admitted you. You certainly are an anomaly. What you've done is…quite frankly astonishing. It's a miracle-" he began, looking at me intently. My chest puffed out before he finished. "That you haven't killed yourself by accident."
I blinked at that. "What? I mean…my demons are stable. I've never had a problem with techniques or forms backfiring on me."
"Which would be the miracle I mentioned," he said dryly. "I assume you're some kind of natural Mythcrafting savant. But like most savants, that makes you a complete idiot. People with natural talent are the WORST students. They can't systematically describe their process in any way, they just do what FEELS right, and none of it is repeatable. They develop deplorable habits that take years to correct. I imagine my teacher arranged for you to end up here where I would need to repair the shattered remnants of your nonexistent foundation so he didn't have to."
"But, the Dean didn't send me here," I said weakly. "Elonwy did. You think she did it on his orders?"
He rolled his eyes. "My teacher is a temporal Overgod. He does not TELL people to do things. He simply arranges causality in such a way as to encourage them to do them of their own will. You should be more than aware of such a technique, given your own abilities."
It took me a second to make the connection, just because of the sheer scale of what he was talking about. "Wait…you mean he's using an ability like Limbo? Pruning potential futures until he finds one where she decides to direct me to you?"
"Possibly," he shrugged. "Or possibly it was more subtle. Perhaps he arranged for her to get a glimpse of a syllabus with my name on it before going to work, or perhaps the light caught your eyes in a specific way that reminded her of a fellow student who she cared for. There are as many potential futures as there are stars in the sky."
I swallowed hard. "But that's so much to sort through. The amount of power and effort it would take to prune those. Destroying what must be trillions of timelines."
Another duck hit me in the head. "What did I JUST finish telling you?" he demanded. "Think."
I did, and it came to me pretty quickly. "Space," I said after a moment. "Time is a dimension in space, so you traverse it rather than forcing it to bend. So he isn't destroying the timelines to select for the one he wants, he's…what, wandering through them? How does he anchor the specific timeline without getting rid of the others? It IS called pruning, so he must be culling some."
"An assumption," he said disdainfully. "Timelines branch. Culling a specific line in a specific way can move up a whole branch of temporal possibilities. But there are other ways. Anchoring is a skill you won't need for quite some time."
I nodded along, but I was actually getting excited. I knew what he was talking about now, understood the dynamics on a fundamental level. Limbo worked on the exact principle he'd mentioned. I physically moved through space and destroyed possible futures. This concept could potentially help me massively improve my demon.
"So…what do I need to learn?" I asked eagerly. "Tell me what kind of techniques or skills I need and I'll get them. I can do this."
He rolled his eyes, reaching into a pocket and tossing me something. I caught it on reflex, opening my hand to reveal a gold timepiece. A pocket watch with no chain, and a winding crown at the top. I raised an eyebrow at him, and he grinned. "Oh no," he told me maliciously. "You have no foundation at all. Working with Mythcrafting attributes requires some kind of strong mental construct. Since you don't have an existing one, I get to build yours from scratch."
I held up the watch in confusion. "I don't…get it," I said slowly. "You want me to use this to what? Keep time?"
His wicked smile got wider. "Not at all. I want you to take it apart. Nothing teaches you more about time than understanding the devices that keep it, and watch construction is a fantastic mechanism for Mythcrafting visualization when it comes to time."
I went pale, staring down at the complicated device. "I'm not…but I already have a visualization right? I use books."
He shrugged. "You can still use books. Just draw the designs into the pages. It's the best of both worlds. Regardless, this will be exponentially less complicated if we build your mental construct to fit temporal mechanics before you start actually applying them. I assure you, this will aid you in your quest to learn to Mythcraft better than any other method I could convey. Or you could simply leave me to my research. I don't have any particular preference one way or the other."
Unfortunately, I could tell he meant that. It didn't matter to him if I stayed or went. In fact, I suspect he'd have preferred the latter. Which of course meant I HAD to say. Because I wasn't giving him the satisfaction.
Grimacing, I set the watch on the table and glanced up at him. "So what am I supposed to do?"
He grinned and passed me a small case with a series of VERY tiny tools in it. "First, you need to take this watch apart entirely…and then put it back together. One hundred times." I closed my eyes, taking a long, deep breath to shore up my inner strength. Then I got to work.
Which is to say, it LOOKED like every abandoned house I'd ever seen…but without any actual damage. The boards were askew, but a tap made it clear they were solidly anchored, the lawn was overgrown, but it appeared to be JUST overgrown enough to look bad, and the sign…well, it was just a really annoying sign that someone had installed badly, but it was also obviously intentional. It made everything Elonwy had hinted at about tests for finding real knowledge seem a lot more reasonable, not that I'd doubted her before.
So when I knocked on the door and it swung open a crack to reveal a bloodshot eye behind a scratched glasses lens, I was less than surprised. "What?" barked the voice.
"Elonwy sent me," I said bluntly, not wanting to do the song and dance. "I'm signed up for the class. It hasn't started yet, right?" I shoved against the door, and the figure backed up, letting me pass as I bulldozed through the conversation. Elonwy had been very clear that this was the best way to get his attention in her instructions. "And how does that work? I'm sure I missed sessions, will I need to be caught up? Is there a textbook? Will you do a recap? And if so how often are those necessary?"
I entered the room at the end of the hall, assuming if the god behind me wanted me to stop he'd stop me, and then…froze. "Um…did I come at the wrong time?"
"No," he said with a sigh as he followed behind me. "You came at the perfect time. It's always the perfect time. Because no one ever takes this class. The ones who decide to give it a try usually see the outside of the house and turn back. It's not really worth the effort for just one credit." He grimaced. "Elonwy. That girl never could mind her business. Always picking up strays."
I chuckled, not that he seemed amused. "Well I'm registered to be here so…I'm ready to learn. Also I have a friend who signed up but she won't show up until tomorrow."
He grumbled. "Interrupting my damned research. Lousy kids. Fine. If you're signed up I guess I'm obligated." Walking over, he flopped onto the couch. "So. What exactly do you know about time?" I opened my mouth to answer but was cut off by a wooden duck the professor had snatched from a table and hurled at my skull. It bounced off my mask harmlessly, but it stunned me into silence. "Wrong," he snapped.
I blinked. "But I didn't say anything?"
"You were about to," he told me bluntly. "Which is wrong. The correct answer was silence, because you know NOTHING about time. Its warps, its wefts, its ups and downs. Time is complex, variable, unusual thing. I've been studying it for longer than the CONCEPT of your family has existed, and I've barely scratched its surface."
I held up both hands. "Noted, I don't know shit about time. That's why I'm here. So…educate me."
He rolled his eyes. "Educate me, he says. Like that's so easy. Fine, I'll try to dumb this down for you, brat. Telling you what I know about time would take centuries, so I find it is easier to begin not with what time is, but with what it is not, and more importantly, what it does not do. First lesson. Time doesn't pass."
"I'm…not sure what you mean by that," I said slowly. "Can you clarify?"
Contrary to my expectation, that seemed to please him rather than annoy him. "Good," he complimented. "Admitting ignorance is a sign of wisdom. What I just said is simple in concept, but difficult to grasp in scope. It is, however, exactly as I said. Time does not pass. Moments are not moving by, there is no STREAM of time, despite the use of that term in certain treatises. Rather, time is a stationary construct, through which we, as beings, journey."
I took a moment to digest that, considering the idea. "Alright," I said slowly. "What are the ramifications of that? For us, I mean."
"Manifold," he replied instantly. "Literally too many to count, but for the purposes of this discussion, the most impactful is the concept of compound energy drain and directionality. Most people who work with time will tell you that altering the flow of temporal energy gets more difficult the more you do it, the further you go. It does not. At least, not if you do it properly. Time is, in fact, a dimension of space, and movement through it is the traversal of imaginary distance."
"Wait, but time attribute energy and space attribute energy are totally different," I said in confusion. "I have an affinity for the latter and had to develop one for the former. The Dean said I'd need it."
He waved a hand dismissively. "Yes and no. Perception is reality for Ascendants. Time and space are treated as different disciplines, so the attributes are separate. The mechanics are…disparate. Time as a dimension of space is less structured at a physical level. It's in a complicated theoretical state. Regardless, many spatial manipulation techniques can have impressive effects when applied to temporal mechanisms."
I nodded along. "Ok. But mostly I'm here because I need to know how to use time attribute energy. Mythcrafting isn't a thing here, so I have no foundational basis for creating techniques or effects."
He raised an eyebrow at me. "You must have SOME temporal abilities, otherwise you wouldn't have been admitted. What can you do?"
"My Domain is…complicated, but I've manifested some of my techniques and abilities as entities," I did my best to explain. "I can access the powers of these demons at will, and they're all able to grow on their own. I have three with temporal capabilities."
I listed off the abilities of Mephistopheles, Overlay, and Limbo, and he listened patiently.
"Well," he said with interest. "I can see why my teacher admitted you. You certainly are an anomaly. What you've done is…quite frankly astonishing. It's a miracle-" he began, looking at me intently. My chest puffed out before he finished. "That you haven't killed yourself by accident."
I blinked at that. "What? I mean…my demons are stable. I've never had a problem with techniques or forms backfiring on me."
"Which would be the miracle I mentioned," he said dryly. "I assume you're some kind of natural Mythcrafting savant. But like most savants, that makes you a complete idiot. People with natural talent are the WORST students. They can't systematically describe their process in any way, they just do what FEELS right, and none of it is repeatable. They develop deplorable habits that take years to correct. I imagine my teacher arranged for you to end up here where I would need to repair the shattered remnants of your nonexistent foundation so he didn't have to."
"But, the Dean didn't send me here," I said weakly. "Elonwy did. You think she did it on his orders?"
He rolled his eyes. "My teacher is a temporal Overgod. He does not TELL people to do things. He simply arranges causality in such a way as to encourage them to do them of their own will. You should be more than aware of such a technique, given your own abilities."
It took me a second to make the connection, just because of the sheer scale of what he was talking about. "Wait…you mean he's using an ability like Limbo? Pruning potential futures until he finds one where she decides to direct me to you?"
"Possibly," he shrugged. "Or possibly it was more subtle. Perhaps he arranged for her to get a glimpse of a syllabus with my name on it before going to work, or perhaps the light caught your eyes in a specific way that reminded her of a fellow student who she cared for. There are as many potential futures as there are stars in the sky."
I swallowed hard. "But that's so much to sort through. The amount of power and effort it would take to prune those. Destroying what must be trillions of timelines."
Another duck hit me in the head. "What did I JUST finish telling you?" he demanded. "Think."
I did, and it came to me pretty quickly. "Space," I said after a moment. "Time is a dimension in space, so you traverse it rather than forcing it to bend. So he isn't destroying the timelines to select for the one he wants, he's…what, wandering through them? How does he anchor the specific timeline without getting rid of the others? It IS called pruning, so he must be culling some."
"An assumption," he said disdainfully. "Timelines branch. Culling a specific line in a specific way can move up a whole branch of temporal possibilities. But there are other ways. Anchoring is a skill you won't need for quite some time."
I nodded along, but I was actually getting excited. I knew what he was talking about now, understood the dynamics on a fundamental level. Limbo worked on the exact principle he'd mentioned. I physically moved through space and destroyed possible futures. This concept could potentially help me massively improve my demon.
"So…what do I need to learn?" I asked eagerly. "Tell me what kind of techniques or skills I need and I'll get them. I can do this."
He rolled his eyes, reaching into a pocket and tossing me something. I caught it on reflex, opening my hand to reveal a gold timepiece. A pocket watch with no chain, and a winding crown at the top. I raised an eyebrow at him, and he grinned. "Oh no," he told me maliciously. "You have no foundation at all. Working with Mythcrafting attributes requires some kind of strong mental construct. Since you don't have an existing one, I get to build yours from scratch."
I held up the watch in confusion. "I don't…get it," I said slowly. "You want me to use this to what? Keep time?"
His wicked smile got wider. "Not at all. I want you to take it apart. Nothing teaches you more about time than understanding the devices that keep it, and watch construction is a fantastic mechanism for Mythcrafting visualization when it comes to time."
I went pale, staring down at the complicated device. "I'm not…but I already have a visualization right? I use books."
He shrugged. "You can still use books. Just draw the designs into the pages. It's the best of both worlds. Regardless, this will be exponentially less complicated if we build your mental construct to fit temporal mechanics before you start actually applying them. I assure you, this will aid you in your quest to learn to Mythcraft better than any other method I could convey. Or you could simply leave me to my research. I don't have any particular preference one way or the other."
Unfortunately, I could tell he meant that. It didn't matter to him if I stayed or went. In fact, I suspect he'd have preferred the latter. Which of course meant I HAD to say. Because I wasn't giving him the satisfaction.
Grimacing, I set the watch on the table and glanced up at him. "So what am I supposed to do?"
He grinned and passed me a small case with a series of VERY tiny tools in it. "First, you need to take this watch apart entirely…and then put it back together. One hundred times." I closed my eyes, taking a long, deep breath to shore up my inner strength. Then I got to work.