Chapter 1124
Malcolm Tent
Monkey with a typewriter.
- Joined
- Oct 16, 2020
- Messages
- 8,598
- Likes received
- 518,776
I spent the rest of the day repeating that course, trying to improve my time. It felt…terrible. Exhausting, painful, straining to the soul after a long enough period. But I didn't stop. If normal soul strain was lifting heavy weights, this was more like lifting light weights for a very long time. Rather than teach me how to output more energy, this was refining my fine control over my Path.
Beyond that, it was also improving my ability to interact with my Domain. Pulling things in and out, accessing the powers of my demons, I was learning as I went. After hours of constant training though, I was starting to flag, and I decided to take a break to sit in on Callie's training session.
I wandered into the room where my parents, Zeke, and Alara were discussing the details of Domain condensation with her.
"So, how does this work exactly?" I asked as I flopped down on a chair I pulled from my space ring. "Mine just kind of…happened. How does one condense a Domain the normal way? I assume based on my own experiences that having a soul space helps?"
Soul spaces were…odd. I had learned early on that most people didn't have them. Not the way Callie and I did. Mine was spawned from my Great Book Heavenly Library. Which was…I wasn't sure, really. It was hard to categorize that power. It wasn't an ability, a technique, a skill, anything that showed up on my stat sheet. It seemed related to my Domain, and my dad had been very clear how vital it was to maximizing my progress. His claims had certainly been confirmed by how easily Gehenna was established, but that didn't explain what it WAS.
Seeing my uncertainty, my mom chimed in. "It does. The soul space is…well not unique, but difficult to condense. You can think of it as a pseudo Domain Seed. There are certain processes and coincidental encounters that can lead to their formation, and they act as a sort of roadmap to Domain condensation. Calliope's soul space is what gives her the possibility of forming her Domain before attempting the legacy trial at all. If she didn't have it, I would have no hope for her accomplishing something like this in such a short time."
Domains were a complicated concept. My mother had explained ages ago that having a Domain too early was a bad thing. That was because it was impossible for lower ranked Ascendants to condense their own Domains. Even I couldn't have done it before getting my Chronicle, which meant any Domain you integrated before that point would be someone else's.
In order to properly integrate a Domain Seed, you needed to have the soul strength to withstand doing so. To make it part of you. While you could bind a Domain Seed to you without going through that process, the Domain wouldn't be yours, and would prevent the later formation of a personal Domain, and in most cases, the Chronicle itself, if not a Solid Path in general. Even then, if the source of your Domain Seed was still active, their larger mythological footprint would soak up too much of your renown and prevent you from being able to progress.
There were a few caveats to that rule, of course. Dead gods weren't a drain on renown because they didn't exist to pull focus anymore. A Domain Seed that was custom designed for the person by a more powerful Ascendant seemed to be POSSIBLE (like Bethy had), but I had no idea how or why it worked, and I suspected Lark had cheated somehow to make it possible.
Which begged the obvious question. "If the Great Book Heavenly Library can help someone condense a pseudo Domain Seed, why doesn't the old man TEACH it to people?"
"Because he can't," my mother explained. "Your father's ability to pass that on had a lot of requirements. Firstly he had to basically reconstruct it, secondly he had to prepare you to be able to use it. Without your absurd talent for techniques it wouldn't be possible, and if you remember you paid with eighteen years of bloodline access for that. Without Elijah's wish devil abilities none of it would have worked."
"Well what about Callie?" I protested. "Clearly Atlas was able to create something similar."
Zeke snorted. "It would probably be a good idea not to base your assessments on what is and isn't possible on things that Atlas does. From what Alara's told us, he's VERY old, and knows more about being a god than anyone I can name. Beyond that, he used a fragment of one of his objects of power when he was creating that sword, and the sword is connected to the soul space. I don't know what the process for it was, but if you tried to tell me it wasn't related, I wouldn't believe you."
That did make sense. The gem was one of his foundational pillars, and they could be used to make shallowings, which were sort of proto void realms. Soul spaces were proto domains, so maybe Atlas really had taken a shortcut.
"Alright, so how does the soul space help?" I said after a minute or two of thought. "You said it's a pseudo Domain Seed? So how does she make it grow?"
I considered having her interface with the staff, but it wouldn't work as well for her I didn't think. In fact, it might not work at all. I'd needed to water the tree with all my experiences. My Domain condensation had actually been a deeply involved and complicated process, I just hadn't been doing the complicated part.
Callie's head snapped up. "Wait…that's it!" we all turned to look at her. "The center of the soul space is the soul weapon. At least for me. The soul space was created to house Gossamer. Normally that wouldn't help me much, but my Adherent form gives me other options. I should be able to…no, that won't work. It won't stabilize. Unless…" her eyes shot to me. "Come with me!" she said excitedly, then closed her eyes.
Knowing what she meant, I followed her into the cathedral, arriving among the pews with interest. She sprinted down the aisle, snatching up Gossamer, and her wings and hair blazed blue as she accessed her Adherent form.
The inside of the sword began to glow. Gossamer was named what it was because it reminded us of a soap bubble. It was a dark crystalline exterior with an empty inside that could be filled with flame. And that's what Callie was doing. Filling it with flame. Not a little bit either. A LOT of flame. Her practice yesterday outputting fire constantly to empower Abaddon was clearly coming in handy.
"Mind explaining this to me?" I asked wryly. "Because I can tell you have some crazy idea, but I don't know what it is."
"Shallowings," she said excitedly. "The pseudo Domain Seed reminds me of a shallowing."
I nodded. "Yeah, I got there too. It's a similar concept, but I don't see how it's useful in this scenario."
"Because I can CREATE shallowings," she stated bluntly. "Or something like them. I can open space in the Void directly with my Adherent Fire. Like that shadow area I created in The Quiet Room. I can expand space with my flames by casting shadows on the Void itself. They aren't actual Void areas or real worlds, but they're Void adjacent, just like a Domain."
I blinked at her. "I…well I guess they are. So you're planning to what? Rip open your soul space around the edges to try to expand it by force? Because that sounds REALLY dangerous."
"It would be," she acknowledged. "If I was doing it alone. There's no catalyst to bridge the gap between the imaginary space and the actual Void aside from me personally, and I don't think that would work. I need a secondary energy source that counters what I'm doing with my Adherent Fire, and for this particular use, my Heretic Fire won't work. It's more adjacent than opposite. We need a different energy. Something designed for the purpose of stabilizing space."
My eyes widened as I realized what she had in mind. I grinned at her. "It won't be fast. I can't bring the ember in here. I've condensed a few drops of bloodline, and I can use those to channel the flame, but I'll have to stop and wait for it to recover every time."
The Cosmic Phoenix Fire. It was perfect for this. The whole point of it was to expand the Domain by stabilizing space. Of course, Callie wasn't using an actual Domain, but the imaginary space she could create by using her Adherent Fire should work as a base, especially built on top of the soul space Atlas had designed specifically to house the sword.
After about twenty minutes, the sword was shuddering. Callie had been pouring in power since we arrived, and even Gossamer was starting to strain to contain it all. Her Adherent Fire, as I'd mentioned when she helped me rank up Abaddon, was one of the highest energy abilities I'd ever seen. "Alright, are you ready?" she asked me, voice tight with strain. "Because if you don't fix this as soon as I finish, I have a feeling something very bad will happen."
"Wait, what, no don't-" I yelped as I realized she wasn't going to wait for use to make a more detailed plan. Sadly, I was too late. Callie spun on her heel, whipping her sword first one way then the other, cutting an X shape in the air and neatly quadrisecting the wall.
I stared in horror at my wife, then at the wall, which was slowly being consumed by blue black fire. On the other side of the wall was…nothing. A huge sucking void (lowercase v). Yelping, I surged forward, reaching into my body to ignite the four drops of Cosmic Phoenix bloodline I had sleeping inside me. Slamming my hands down, I poured it out through my hands, burning my blood to channel that stabilizing phoenix flame in a way that I had only done in body tempering up to this point.
A wall of flames erupted from my palms, pouring out into the dark and melting away the lack of light as the fire stabilized the imaginary space, refining the nothingness into the same form as the initial soul space…a church.
It took me about thirty minutes, and by the time I finished, I could barely breathe. "Can you NOT?" I demanded as I collapsed against the wall. "I need some damn warning Cal. What the shit? You can't just-" My words were cut off by her lips mashing against mine fiercely as she wrapped herself around me. I stopped complaining. Or thinking at all really. By the time she pulled back to grin up at me I couldn't remember what I'd been complaining about. "What's happening?"
She gestured to the massive new open space in the church. "It WORKED," she crowed. "It worked perfectly."
"It worked a LITTLE," I corrected her. "It was increasing in difficulty as I went along. I won't be able to stabilize this much next time. The bigger it gets the harder it'll be to expand. If we switch sides we can probably start over, but we're going to run out of room soon."
"Doesn't matter," she said confidently. "It'll be enough. I can feel it. This is working. This is my Domain. We're carving it out one cut at a time. It's perfect. Just what a proper swordmistress needs." She kissed me again fiercely. Her eyes were alight with fiery passion and determination so bright and alive I felt like I was cooking in the heat of it. Her lips peeled back as she grinned up at me with the most brilliant smile I'd ever seen. "Rest up babe, we've got some renovations to do."
Beyond that, it was also improving my ability to interact with my Domain. Pulling things in and out, accessing the powers of my demons, I was learning as I went. After hours of constant training though, I was starting to flag, and I decided to take a break to sit in on Callie's training session.
I wandered into the room where my parents, Zeke, and Alara were discussing the details of Domain condensation with her.
"So, how does this work exactly?" I asked as I flopped down on a chair I pulled from my space ring. "Mine just kind of…happened. How does one condense a Domain the normal way? I assume based on my own experiences that having a soul space helps?"
Soul spaces were…odd. I had learned early on that most people didn't have them. Not the way Callie and I did. Mine was spawned from my Great Book Heavenly Library. Which was…I wasn't sure, really. It was hard to categorize that power. It wasn't an ability, a technique, a skill, anything that showed up on my stat sheet. It seemed related to my Domain, and my dad had been very clear how vital it was to maximizing my progress. His claims had certainly been confirmed by how easily Gehenna was established, but that didn't explain what it WAS.
Seeing my uncertainty, my mom chimed in. "It does. The soul space is…well not unique, but difficult to condense. You can think of it as a pseudo Domain Seed. There are certain processes and coincidental encounters that can lead to their formation, and they act as a sort of roadmap to Domain condensation. Calliope's soul space is what gives her the possibility of forming her Domain before attempting the legacy trial at all. If she didn't have it, I would have no hope for her accomplishing something like this in such a short time."
Domains were a complicated concept. My mother had explained ages ago that having a Domain too early was a bad thing. That was because it was impossible for lower ranked Ascendants to condense their own Domains. Even I couldn't have done it before getting my Chronicle, which meant any Domain you integrated before that point would be someone else's.
In order to properly integrate a Domain Seed, you needed to have the soul strength to withstand doing so. To make it part of you. While you could bind a Domain Seed to you without going through that process, the Domain wouldn't be yours, and would prevent the later formation of a personal Domain, and in most cases, the Chronicle itself, if not a Solid Path in general. Even then, if the source of your Domain Seed was still active, their larger mythological footprint would soak up too much of your renown and prevent you from being able to progress.
There were a few caveats to that rule, of course. Dead gods weren't a drain on renown because they didn't exist to pull focus anymore. A Domain Seed that was custom designed for the person by a more powerful Ascendant seemed to be POSSIBLE (like Bethy had), but I had no idea how or why it worked, and I suspected Lark had cheated somehow to make it possible.
Which begged the obvious question. "If the Great Book Heavenly Library can help someone condense a pseudo Domain Seed, why doesn't the old man TEACH it to people?"
"Because he can't," my mother explained. "Your father's ability to pass that on had a lot of requirements. Firstly he had to basically reconstruct it, secondly he had to prepare you to be able to use it. Without your absurd talent for techniques it wouldn't be possible, and if you remember you paid with eighteen years of bloodline access for that. Without Elijah's wish devil abilities none of it would have worked."
"Well what about Callie?" I protested. "Clearly Atlas was able to create something similar."
Zeke snorted. "It would probably be a good idea not to base your assessments on what is and isn't possible on things that Atlas does. From what Alara's told us, he's VERY old, and knows more about being a god than anyone I can name. Beyond that, he used a fragment of one of his objects of power when he was creating that sword, and the sword is connected to the soul space. I don't know what the process for it was, but if you tried to tell me it wasn't related, I wouldn't believe you."
That did make sense. The gem was one of his foundational pillars, and they could be used to make shallowings, which were sort of proto void realms. Soul spaces were proto domains, so maybe Atlas really had taken a shortcut.
"Alright, so how does the soul space help?" I said after a minute or two of thought. "You said it's a pseudo Domain Seed? So how does she make it grow?"
I considered having her interface with the staff, but it wouldn't work as well for her I didn't think. In fact, it might not work at all. I'd needed to water the tree with all my experiences. My Domain condensation had actually been a deeply involved and complicated process, I just hadn't been doing the complicated part.
Callie's head snapped up. "Wait…that's it!" we all turned to look at her. "The center of the soul space is the soul weapon. At least for me. The soul space was created to house Gossamer. Normally that wouldn't help me much, but my Adherent form gives me other options. I should be able to…no, that won't work. It won't stabilize. Unless…" her eyes shot to me. "Come with me!" she said excitedly, then closed her eyes.
Knowing what she meant, I followed her into the cathedral, arriving among the pews with interest. She sprinted down the aisle, snatching up Gossamer, and her wings and hair blazed blue as she accessed her Adherent form.
The inside of the sword began to glow. Gossamer was named what it was because it reminded us of a soap bubble. It was a dark crystalline exterior with an empty inside that could be filled with flame. And that's what Callie was doing. Filling it with flame. Not a little bit either. A LOT of flame. Her practice yesterday outputting fire constantly to empower Abaddon was clearly coming in handy.
"Mind explaining this to me?" I asked wryly. "Because I can tell you have some crazy idea, but I don't know what it is."
"Shallowings," she said excitedly. "The pseudo Domain Seed reminds me of a shallowing."
I nodded. "Yeah, I got there too. It's a similar concept, but I don't see how it's useful in this scenario."
"Because I can CREATE shallowings," she stated bluntly. "Or something like them. I can open space in the Void directly with my Adherent Fire. Like that shadow area I created in The Quiet Room. I can expand space with my flames by casting shadows on the Void itself. They aren't actual Void areas or real worlds, but they're Void adjacent, just like a Domain."
I blinked at her. "I…well I guess they are. So you're planning to what? Rip open your soul space around the edges to try to expand it by force? Because that sounds REALLY dangerous."
"It would be," she acknowledged. "If I was doing it alone. There's no catalyst to bridge the gap between the imaginary space and the actual Void aside from me personally, and I don't think that would work. I need a secondary energy source that counters what I'm doing with my Adherent Fire, and for this particular use, my Heretic Fire won't work. It's more adjacent than opposite. We need a different energy. Something designed for the purpose of stabilizing space."
My eyes widened as I realized what she had in mind. I grinned at her. "It won't be fast. I can't bring the ember in here. I've condensed a few drops of bloodline, and I can use those to channel the flame, but I'll have to stop and wait for it to recover every time."
The Cosmic Phoenix Fire. It was perfect for this. The whole point of it was to expand the Domain by stabilizing space. Of course, Callie wasn't using an actual Domain, but the imaginary space she could create by using her Adherent Fire should work as a base, especially built on top of the soul space Atlas had designed specifically to house the sword.
After about twenty minutes, the sword was shuddering. Callie had been pouring in power since we arrived, and even Gossamer was starting to strain to contain it all. Her Adherent Fire, as I'd mentioned when she helped me rank up Abaddon, was one of the highest energy abilities I'd ever seen. "Alright, are you ready?" she asked me, voice tight with strain. "Because if you don't fix this as soon as I finish, I have a feeling something very bad will happen."
"Wait, what, no don't-" I yelped as I realized she wasn't going to wait for use to make a more detailed plan. Sadly, I was too late. Callie spun on her heel, whipping her sword first one way then the other, cutting an X shape in the air and neatly quadrisecting the wall.
I stared in horror at my wife, then at the wall, which was slowly being consumed by blue black fire. On the other side of the wall was…nothing. A huge sucking void (lowercase v). Yelping, I surged forward, reaching into my body to ignite the four drops of Cosmic Phoenix bloodline I had sleeping inside me. Slamming my hands down, I poured it out through my hands, burning my blood to channel that stabilizing phoenix flame in a way that I had only done in body tempering up to this point.
A wall of flames erupted from my palms, pouring out into the dark and melting away the lack of light as the fire stabilized the imaginary space, refining the nothingness into the same form as the initial soul space…a church.
It took me about thirty minutes, and by the time I finished, I could barely breathe. "Can you NOT?" I demanded as I collapsed against the wall. "I need some damn warning Cal. What the shit? You can't just-" My words were cut off by her lips mashing against mine fiercely as she wrapped herself around me. I stopped complaining. Or thinking at all really. By the time she pulled back to grin up at me I couldn't remember what I'd been complaining about. "What's happening?"
She gestured to the massive new open space in the church. "It WORKED," she crowed. "It worked perfectly."
"It worked a LITTLE," I corrected her. "It was increasing in difficulty as I went along. I won't be able to stabilize this much next time. The bigger it gets the harder it'll be to expand. If we switch sides we can probably start over, but we're going to run out of room soon."
"Doesn't matter," she said confidently. "It'll be enough. I can feel it. This is working. This is my Domain. We're carving it out one cut at a time. It's perfect. Just what a proper swordmistress needs." She kissed me again fiercely. Her eyes were alight with fiery passion and determination so bright and alive I felt like I was cooking in the heat of it. Her lips peeled back as she grinned up at me with the most brilliant smile I'd ever seen. "Rest up babe, we've got some renovations to do."