1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Cornwall Boy has picked up the Jack Aetheron (14th level lore bard/tomelock) style of conversation. Nice one Rob.

Now call it a cunt, in Draconic.

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Back online at last and quickly skimmed the thread to catch back up. I'll get onto proofreading the posts I missed live soonish...

My first mage slayer hits its left hand, causing a slight shift in its flesh before its fiery breath obscures it.

Ooooh, right in the cloaca.

Often hyphenated (counter-charge) but also fine as one word. Up to you, as always

Dammit, dragon-aura!

"They put their soul into an object. It means their body doesn't interact right-"

My armour is damaged, but not in a disabling way.

Dammit, Canis!

DAMMIT, CANIS!

Well, hopefully she calms down at the threat. More likely she escalates, goes berserk and someone gets hurt hard.
    I'm guessing OL couldn't find a way to mention the phylactery before Cornwall did, or did he not remember that detail?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  3. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

I believe the word you want is Tiamat.

4. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Probably not the Starfire fisting scene that some people were hoping for...

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Completely forgot about it.
    I dunno. Around here...

6. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

They'd mostly still want the other Starfire to be the one fisting the dragon.

7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

As promised, those corrections (and some commentary) from the days I was offline. Spoilered for the sake of length:
    ...built of stone long before humans settled those parts of Europe.
    (Unless she has a strong accent?)

Odd word choice on 'used to' but I'm guessing Natural Speech applies...

"My scan of the one Ms Vadim stabbed suggests...

A missing word in here, or something like that? Definitely something amiss.
    That would make sense: a giant reptile would require large amounts of food which wouldn't be...
    (Or 'a large amount', whichever you prefer.)

Ah, he's finally becoming genre-savvy!

It glowers at us for a moment and then bolts for freedom.

"No matches found. However, records on the residences of minor magic users are extremely limited."
    Disguised as a simple ring of mushrooms near a menhir...
    (Credit to Vaermina, he spotted it first. I suspect you didn't notice his post?)

First time I've ever heard of the term. Nice.

"I meant, you and me. I've got the time now, I could use more practice flying at high altitude, and I've been studying the spells involved."
    (American english, noun and verb have same spelling, according to Google at least)

Something usually left out of RPG depictions of dragons...

After this mission's over I'm going to...
    Still good to see he wasn't quite 'harem anime protagonist' levels of dense, but still...

Canis's mental stress clearly hasn't helped him comprehend...
    Zatanna nods. "Their first line of defense is secrecy.
    (American English again)
    "Something's affecting our team mates' minds."

...impaling the first wave of mutant gnome reinforcements.
    (Usually pluralised, unless you prefer it as is?)

Zatanna blinks, then turns to frown at the Star Sapphire.

Yeah, that's the second-worst kind of 'crazy girlfriend' mode. Yandere being the first.
    Doubled word.

Extraneous 'the'.

If I haven't listed a chapter here, I couldn't find any errors others haven't already noted.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Hm... if language has some sort of power/ magic (does it in DC?, it’s such a widely used trope), and Cornwall Boy absorbs magic, can he learn Draconic by listening to it/ absorbing it? I mean, probably not, but...
    Edit: actually no, that’s not what his power is, otherwise he would be able to cast any spell he absorbs back out.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Navi-Hank likes this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    This marks the start of Robert getting a feel for fae magic. He will have to do a lot more study before he can use it.

10. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

Key word: mostly

erebus1994 and Navi-Hank like this.
  11. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Probably either the first one should be "-destroying it-" if he's being interrupted by the action, or the second one should be "Or undoing the spell." if it's being added as an afterthought.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  13. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Different ways of doing things may be more effective than others. It's just that Cornwall Boy's way of doing things is better for this particular situation than Paul's.

14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In DC, at least in Vertigo, according to the Books of Magic, magic is a language- the language of the universe. In short, the operating code. The name is the thing, as per Egyptian myth, change the name, change the thing.

Wildstorm seems to have a similar view of magic, since the same power that made Drummer a technopath made him a magician. "Magic is the cheat codes of the universe" is how Drummer explained magic.

New Earth didn't have a unified explanation for magic as far as I'm aware.

BBJimmy likes this.
  15. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

It occurs to me that this has significant implications about the nature of life, souls, and magic in this setting.

In D&D, liches aren't invulerable. They can just create a new body for themselves given some time if their existing body is destroyed. They're harder to destroy in the first place because they don't have the vulnerabilities of living things, but brute force still works (at least temporarily).

But on Earth 16, our only example of a living being without a soul was exceedingly vulnerable to just about everything, and a number of almost-living beings without souls are likewise still just corporeal matter.

16. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm reminded of in the very beginning of OL's time with the team, where Kid Flash suggested that OL was the weakest one there. OL countered, with a little Kid Flash fluffing, that he felt he could defeat any of them but Kid Flash.

These days I have very little confidence in OL when fighting breaks out, so it's almost like Kid Flash was right all along. I mean Ring: Make gun, isn't even working anymore.

RagnarokAscendant likes this.
  17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I counter by pointing out that the fights where this isn't a problem aren't narratively interesting and probably largely happen off-camera, with the words being dedicated to the stuff that's actually worth reading.

When he gets to choose his own missions, I'm sure he also picks the ones that are likely to challenge him. He's not the type to want to cherry-pick the easy ones.

18. Maxx Crowley

I counter-counter by pointing out that every time OL runs into anything with a speck of magic, he ranges from mostly ineffectual to completely helpless and getting his ass kicked.

Or it's somehow super tougher then usual, and just walks right through everything he throws at it.

At this point, I'm actually expecting someone like Ambush bug to to show up and explain that every foe in the universe is getting tweaked behind the scenes to be the perfect foil to him, and him alone.

He just had his entire planet locked down, and was murdered as easily as a Marine killing a baby. I'd really expect this "I don't want to break things." attitude to get rethought.

Then again, his death and revival doesn't even seem to matter to him.

I, myself, find the plucky underdog, outmatched, on the backfoot and desperately punching up until the plot gods grace him/her with victory to be the dullest thing in fiction.

boo600 likes this.
  19. Bigreader

Bigreader Doom. Boom!

Though it is an example that Paul really needs to develop a method to counter magic that doesn't rely on brute force or magic slayers since those aren't always very effective against all forms of magic.

20. Norgarth

Norgarth Making the rounds.

additionally, Cornwall Boy had just been siphoning off some of the Dragon's magic, weakening it while empowering himself.

NightmareWarden and Chaoswind like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Ah, darn it.

Just remembered that I've forgotten Lantern Xor.

You know you've got too many named characters when...

22. Maxx Crowley

Well, if you remembered Ze, xir, and Zur, you might not have gotten into trouble at SV.

23. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

He is wasting his time on trial... Or its that over already? How many months its been? Also one would think he was in the background involved when Heaven attacked earth.

24. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

[​IMG]
    this is the first time i felt the urge to reach through the screen to shake someones hand, because fuck me that was clever.

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

So, are both Match and Xor gonna show up soon? Even just one chapter for each of them, Xor getting off scot free and Match waking up and learning to be a real boy or something.

If the latter does happen, he'll probably be spending more time with Superman, Superboy, and Kara than anyone else, maybe Wonder Woman too.

Ardy likes this.
  26. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

After 3 months of being able to read a full forum page a day. I just realized how long this must have been updating for now.

I sincerely, appreciate the good story, the only regret I have is not starting sooner because there were some theological points a couple story-lines ago I would have enjoyed debating. (and correcting, because one is a very common misunderstanding among people because of the unusual nature of what happened.)

Bramble Thorn and Norgarth like this.
  27. Maxx Crowley

I do my best.

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Gilhelmi, Vorian and Ardy like this.
  29. Maxx Crowley

And I'm supposed to care about the "rules" of a crappy children's cartoon show because?

30. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Because if science can defeat magic (head on, without doing something clever) it’s not actual magic. This applies to a lot of fiction. About the only thing of actual relevance I can come up with. It’s kind of the counterpoint of “sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic” - “if technology is insufficiently advanced, it is distinguishably worse than magic.”
    Though that’s still not necessarily very relevant.