1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

In a time fight shouldn't OL try to move as little as possible to limit the amount of alternate time-line positions he is in that can be attacked?

Shame that OL didn't play 5D Chess with multiverse time travel before he left.

Ardy likes this.
  2. Blackshard

Blackshard ~

Melmoth wasn't expecting to be attacked, and certainly wasn't ready to fight a lantern. This opponent picked this fight on purpose, with equipment she deemed sufficient to the task. She's missing some crucial information, but she's at least properly prepared, as opposed to being ganked in her home.

Cuchulin, Wetbananas, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  3. deimos16

deimos16 Paragon of Grey

This is getting kinda weird. They can tell that he's the best Lantern alive, possibly in the Universe, yet no one in the future remembers him? Even Brainiac V didn't recognize him - he established a whole Corps that sends Lanterns to every part of the Universe, and is recruiting from other Universes. Why doesn't anyone remember him? I'd remember a demigod wielding the power of avarice itself that established a Corps full of people wielding avarice powers than say, Batman, who, while influential, was ultimately a guy in a bat costume.

4. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

Or something that manipulates cause and effect.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

he is studying her. which is what i would do.

Cuchulin, CTrees and moralrelativity like this.
  6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

To be honest, I doubt she'd know the difference between accents, unless they've been studying local data in that much detail. And going by her approach, they haven't.

Heh. They know about Lanterns, but not that they come in different colours? Evidently someone in their intelligence division screwed the pooch on this. When their boss hears about this, they'll be the ones getting screwed. :p

Well, nice of her to say so. But if their intel is that good, surely it would include names? I'm betting the intelligence division is just someone popping back briefly, grabbing a few newspapers and bouncing home.

Oh, boy, is she thick... Single-minded to the point of stupidity.

To be honest, it's hard not to. I mean, that outfit? Assuming it's baring cleavage, that's a big old guide for any piercing weapon, right into her heart.

Well, diplomacy has failed. Time to step up and lay the smack down.

Either she's really, really quick, or there's something more going on.

Bitch, please. He's...

...Had that happen. Seriously, poking holes in him isn't going to do much, unless you somehow hit a ring. And even then, he has spares.

...Seriously? Retroactive attacking? So, she stabbed at him, and it goes back in time, where she's seen him standing. That's... Honestly clever.

She's fast, certainly. Unless it's some automatic defensive instinct. Or maybe she's a little out of sync, and could see where it went before he'd even loaded?

And I'm assuming at least one ring is still tucked inside his body? Just as a precaution, in case of unhanding.

Don't get too bogged down in poking her, OL. You have other things to be doing than playing 'poke the curiosity'.

Have to wonder if the weapon's temporal displacement is fixed-duration or not. Does it stab exactly X seconds ago? How long does it remain deployed? I mean, If nothing else, this will be interesting data to present to Doctor Sivana senior.

Some manner of sustenance effect, presumably. Her body's probably built to recycle oxygen inside her lungs, for a limited time at least.

That would be interesting. Does it force itself to activate, whether she'd want it to or not, if she's aware of it making a thrust? Because choosing not to (or being prevented from doing so) would cause a temporal paradox, if it has a fixed span it operates in.

Evidently she waited until she could see him clearly before thrusting. I'm impressed she wasn't bothered by the fire, though.

Heh. And it'll give you a good deal of data on how her spear works. If she stabs one, you know she'll have to aim at that one, and can try to interfere.

And if she does? Even more data for the analysis.

Ah, hitstun. The bane of many a boss fight. For both sides, too.

Damn elemental immunities...

Heh. Checking off weaknesses. Too bad she's resistant to direct scanning effects. No 'Libra' for you. I suppose the encounter features randomising code, so no checking a playguide...

Shoulda gone with a wider beam. or laid a trap field, like Captain Cold loved to. Though that does take a bit more skill than OL might have.

Honestly, this does feel like some scripted boss fight. No dealing damage unless you follow exactly the right pattern to trick the mob into exposing a weakness. I suppose he's enjoying himself figuring out this puzzle. After all, it could easily have been Lantern Stewart or Savenlovich facing her, which sounds a much worse match. Just hope he can keep in mind that he's on the clock.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think they don't recognize him because they come from a timeline where he didn't exist, so most likely the original canon if he never showed up.

8. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

Because the current future is still unwritten, the future they are interacting is the OG future without him, the future of an alternate reality.

zeebza, Tyrantviewer, Jaron and 6 others like this.
  9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think it's because she was literally created for this purpose. So she's having difficulties even thinking that her entire purpose for existing is false. As such, she'll try to twist everything to fit what she was created to "know" and believe. Maybe Paul should see if he can completely break down her world view and then build it back up to something useful? He could also do that to Beulah after showing her that angels aren't all they're cracked up to be.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Even a broken clock gets to be right sometimes.

11. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

The sheeda know deja-fu...

THE SHEEDA KNOW DEJA-FU!!!!!!

12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'is designed'

14. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No. Construct armour and power armour are.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Okay, but this one still feels weird.

Maybe ' the heat is burning phosphorous, but my construct'

It just sounds better.

16. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Dah fuck man?

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

It just works.

But seriously, there’s nothing wrong with that sentence.

Handlewithcare likes this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Remember she's not exactly an innocent person and has most likely participated in the genocide of other civilizations and species when the Sheeda Harrowed the past.

Though the Team does have Canis, who has done far, far worst things.

Except when you read the sentence it just feels wrong and that there might be something missing.

19. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Ok, this is a very fun fight :) Last time OL had an opponent this interesting was back on that anti-Reach conference with that supersayanqwardian dude.

I dunno why the other posters complain. Her logic is impeccable :D

Gáe Bolg! "That attack rewrites causality!"

Why would it matter whether you use a construct laser or an actual physical laser? Wouldn't the end result is the same: an actual laser beam.

I asked this exact question while Grayven and Arty were still playing CK2 in the Bad End future. Namely, if Vampire Sun just corrodes all non-living stuff in moments of exposure forcing the Sheeda to seemingly use nothing but magic biotech, then what was the point of going to the Past to play Viking?

If I recall correctly the answer was 'they snatch people and turn them into more magic biotech'. So the answer is 'yes'. They harvest 'resources'. Human resources to be more specific.

I... honestly don't think Beulah would give a shit no matter what she witnessed. She's a zealot - there's nothing more to it. And even if she did give a shit she could always rationalise it as a) a trick played by that heathen abomination or b) an outlier/traitor to the Host ("No true Scotsman Angel would do such a thing.").

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

All Paul needs is some Luck and Instinct and he should be fine.

She can disrupt constructs so he decided to play it a bit more safe and not make a construct.

Prince Charon, Ardy and Agent Orange like this.
  21. Agent Orange

"Well that's dumb... My attack that will always pierce the heart was disrupted by a metaphysical critical roll on a D20."

:D

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He was eventually able to get through to Overgirl, though that did require her meeting a version of herself who was happy in a reality where the Nazis lost. I just want to see him get through to a zealot and have the zealot change and grow as a person like Overgirl has. Also, she might be an interesting addition to the Team.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  23. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

I mean, setting aside OL's long record of working with and recruiting villains beyond Canis (hell, he was still offering to relocate the Sheeda to an empty planet here) I'd say that what we know about how the Sheeda produce units could suggest that this is her first Harrowing. No need to waste biomass on an anti-Lantern specc'd unit when you're Harrowing a time period that doesn't have a Lantern afterall.

Cuchulin, Istaran and Ardy like this.
  24. Agent Orange

I'm still trying to repress that entire plotline (it's mostly working) - because RL racists people generally don't work like that. As for OL breaking and remaking zealots in general (without using Orange light to just rewire them directly)... OL's talk-no-jutsu is good but not Naruto good. Basically, it may not be strictly speaking impossible but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  25. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

OL, look out! Something tells me that Sheeda’s trouble and never wins fights!

Darko and Agent Orange like this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well it wouldn't be the first time they recruited someone that's much, much older than a teenager.

Overgirl is in her late thirties.

Ghia'ta and Canis we don't know how old they are, but it could be centuries.

M'gann is in her late forties, but she's still a teenager.

Paul is thirty, though they don't know that.

Loriel has the mind of someone that could be older than the planet Earth.

It depends on the person, and showing people things that contradict what they were taught and which go against their beliefs can work.

Plus she was raised by someone that already had doubts about the whole Nazi thing so OL didn't have to do all the work.

Now all we need is some Sheeda to start saying some limericks and all will be perfect.

27. Agent Orange

Who's this? It's been a while since we focused on the Team and the name doesn't ring any bells. not to mention it resists my awesome google fu skillz. this is the closest thing I found:
    [​IMG]

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

During the Angel Invasion Paul killed one of the Angels with the Sword of the Fallen.

This angel was called Noriel.

After Noriel reincarnated as a mortal, a demon found it and performed a ritual on his human girlfriend, Linda Danvers, to transfer all of the angels knowledge into her, but he also accidentally copied Noriels personality and it was fighting for control of the body, but he apparently did something to help Linda out, however OL later on disrupted whatever that was and now Noriel and Linda are either merged, or Noriel is the dominant personality, because an ancient angel versus an emotionally immature and unstable teenager tends to go in the favor of the angel.

After that said beings called itself Loriel.

Loriel primarily uses fire and may have other powerful magics at her disposal.

She also calls herself Supergirl, because Linda tried to frame Kara, who in this story still hasn't taken on the title of Supergirl and may not become a superhero, and now just calls herself that.

This is a re-imagining of the comic Linda Danvers version of Supergirl.

That version basically had some plasma entity from another universe bond to her and later on started calling herself Supergirl, while in this story she was bonded to an angel.

29. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Crack theory: Mr Zoat has added Fate to the growing list of properties WTR has crossed over with. Because that spear sounds a lot like one of the abilities of Gae Bolg, which would make her a Servant... Hopefully she's a Lancer, and not one of the broken Archers using Gae Bolg as an opener.

Prince Charon likes this.
  30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I thought she was still going by Noriel. If I'm wrong, can someone quote the relevant part that shows she's now going by Loriel?

Cuchulin likes this.