1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Not enough. He flew him into our sun. Should have gone a few stars over.

2. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Honestly it probably is a real inconvenience, i don't think we've ever seen a stated regeneration speed, but he was put out of commission for a few months at least after the New Year Watchtower fight, right? Unless you think Savage would view those few months as a relatively trivial period of time given his immortal lifespan, which is reasonable. Honestly though, having the ring just constantly monitor the planet for the resurgence of targets physically and genetically matching Savage doesn't seem too difficult. What I wonder is who else Sybarite perma-killed, R'as al-Ghul seems like a good second candidate, and I think from what we've seen, Sybarite would still have the presence of mind to take records of all League of Shadows activities from Infinity Island and share them with either Batman, the Justice League or just governments in general. It's interesting seeing an anti-heroic Paul who nevertheless acts a lot differently than Grayven does, so I'm looking forward to more of him, even if I'm beginning to reach Paul-overload with all the different incarnations and universes running around.

3. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

That sounds like something that involves an egomaniacal blowhard with Wolverine immortality planning for failure.

4. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Like, eating his arse? Seems more like pre-coital play than post-coital.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.
    No, I think I would have been alright in the Other Place as well.
    No, I've rather gone off recent GW work.

6. DrThoth

I was always curious to see what would happen if Mammite!Paul became permanent in some way, and I suppose this version is my answer. I wonder what's worse for the soul, Sybarite's hell-stuff or Grayven's Anti-Life and Fatherbox-soul (though I assume between Scott Free spiritual first aid and supervision and Grayven's own Motherbox, his actual soul isn't horribly corrupted, barring the isolated Anti-Life fragment).

I only recently got into Warhammer 40k lore, mostly thanks to this fic. It's interesting to read about, though I have no interest in actually playing and I don't keep up to date with developments. When you say new Daemon range, is it a wholly new kind of Slaaneshi Daemon, or a variant of the existing types?

7. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

You know, somebody should probably compile the List of Infinite Pauls so that QQuesters know who our cast is.

8. Bigking321

Bigking321 Not too sore, are you?

Oh boy...

This one's going all wall street on superheroing isn't he?

9. Promenius

Promenius Not too sore, are you?

Roulette, yeeesssssss. I always thought she was one of the sexier characters in the DC-verse.

...Damn it, now I need to go and play "Something Unlimited" again to get my NSFW fix of her, at least until she makes a potential appearance in the "In Praise of Eros" thread.

[​IMG]

Jaron, Bramble Thorn, Sonder and 7 others like this.
  10. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Well there's Paul, then there's Paul, and of course we shouldn't forget Paul, and for a handful of updates we had Paul, not to mention Paul, Paul, Grayven, and Paul. Edit: And Paul, because apparently he's unfortunately easy to forget.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

GW Announced the new stuff at Adepticon earlier this week. Check out Warhammer-community for specifics, but: New Age of Sigmar Battletome - Hedonites of Slaanesh. New Heroes, terrain, spell and Keeper of Secrets models. And they're fully compatible with 40k too (the new heroes will likely include rules in their package...)
    Though any further discussion might fall off-topic, I think...

DrThoth likes this.
  12. DrThoth

Something else I want to note is that the word 'sybarite' is etymologically derived from 'inhabitant of Sybaris,' a Greek city apparently known for its decadence and hedonism. This adds some nuance to his interactions with Diana; she's probably familiar with the original city to some degree, at least from hearing or reading accounts during her upbringing.

I was literally compiling a list after that update to help keep track of things, so here's what I have so far:

Infinite Pauls: Orange Illustres Paul (Paragon/Young Justice timeline 1, as well as all the Fool's Canon universes); 'Grayven' (Renegade/Young Justice timeline 2); Time Trapper/Heavenly Guardian Paul (Young Justice timeline 3); Blue Lantern (Negative Young Justice); In Praise of Eros Paul (Young Justice timeline 4); Indigo Tribesman Saul (The Boys); Anti-Green Lantern Paul (DCAU?); Red Lantern Paul (Teen Titans); Earth's Mightiest Lantern Paul (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, plus Wolverine & the X-Men); Common Sense Paul (Young Justice timeline 5; thanks for the reminder Mquz); Sybarite (Young Justice timeline 6)

Infinite Jades: Red Queen Jade (who I believe is the primary Jade, all the others being derivatives who return to her upon death); Green Lantern Jade; Batwoman Jade

I can't think of any other timelines/continuities off the top of my head.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Rafin, Bramble Thorn, nobodez and 9 others like this.
  13. Ganurath

We've had Paul of the main storyline, Grayven of the most prominent AU, Baul the Blue Lantern of the Injustice Universe, Raul the Red Lantern of Teen Titans, Toby the Anti-Green Lantern of some stillborn animated series, Saul Talbot the Indigo Lantern of The Boys, Mr. Hel of the Marvel Universe, Time Trapper of the Chinaverse, and Daul of the Plan B timeline. (The D stands for Demon, because he's using the same font as when he was sexually fantasizing about Harm.)

14. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Until the episode wherein the team plays a game of Warhammer 40k, at least. And even I don't know if I'm serious or not when I suggest that as a possibility.

DrThoth likes this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yea, but that's Age of Sigmar. Early Access: the Board Game.
    Yes, but they said that about 40K's mechs. It didn't make sense then and it doesn't make sense now.
    Why do you think I had the SI redesign 40K in-universe, if not to enable this sort of discussion?

16. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Age of what ?
    Never heard of it.
    Lalalalalala can't hear you

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  17. DrThoth

I assume Satanus wasn't lying about Mammite!Paul being able to use hell-based magic due to his infusion of demonic power, so I wonder if Sybarite is able to do something similar. While I said he seemed fairly logical earlier, I can't say for certain whether he would have tried to develop some kind of fail-safe for using demons as a power source, even if he wasn't successful. I also wonder if he's in contact with his continuity's John Constantine or if he's staying the hell away instead (pun semi-intended); I think both options would be plausible. Suffice it to say that I'm quite interested in this new incarnation of Paul, probably because I'm a big fan of the mystic and arcanotechnological aspects of the setting, and look forward to more.

Prince Charon and Navi-Hank like this.
  18. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Rational! Paul for those few updates a few months ago.

19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

So basically Johnny Warlock Paul.

At least he doesn't have the psychosomatic weakness to Robin. :)

20. Ganurath

To provide a vector for the discovery of the breadth of where Canis's godlike powers of art and violence could be applied, thanks to his Space Wolves being unbeatable unless his opponent was running the Thousand Sons like Zatanna does, sparking new curiosity and a line of research for main storyline Paul to finally open the New God tree that Grayven's been focusing on?

nobodez, BR549, Navi-Hank and 6 others like this.
  21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Probably based on the Jorogumo myth, which is similar enough. Vore has a mythological basis elsewhere as well almost likely.

22. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Grayven is having a more positive Impact that the more "Not really Heroic" version, and he is a New God of Conquest.

23. DrThoth

To use a metaphor that I recently read in Obloquy's Life Ore Death, I think that Grayven is better at weeding (decreasing the bad by eliminating deleterious entities and groups, most notably the original Light) while Paul is better at planting new flowers (increasing the good via fostering collaboration and innovation, building infrastructure and empowering people on a wider scale), which isn't to say they never overlap.
    One thing that's increasingly an issue for me is the lack of onscreen discussion and planning on actually eliminating the Light, which would be the rational, non-traditional course of action, essentially going back to the 'villains act, heroes react' trope that Truggs is so fond of. It was great seeing Paul and co. deal with Satanus, but there was build-up for that in several previous episodes, starting with creating an angelic Blaze, while there doesn't seem to be much planning to deal with the Brain or Savage, who are the most overt supervillains of the group. Honestly what I want to see (though I'm aware the story isn't obligated to go exactly the way I want, and would likely be boring if it did) is Paul actually using all that wealth of his, plus his connections to Kordtech, Oliver Queen and Wayne Enterprises (or whatever its name is) to stage a perfectly mundane corporate takeover or at least undermining of Lexcorp; I thought the Kraft-Cadbury storyline, while amusing and good at fleshing out the world, was foreshadowing for Paul doing the same with the corporate and industrial base of a man whom he may like and admire, but consorts with demon lords and madmen in hypocritical and just destructive ways.
    There's none or at least far less of the proactiveness that characterized early Paul, and while he admittedly has galactic concerns as well, Earth is special, both to him personally (which is significant for an Orange Lantern) and just metaphysically, considering the Life Entity and general metaphysical power focused on the planet. I'd be happy if we saw that other characters were discussing or doing something about it, but this is still a story that's largely from Paul's perspective and I think it's very in-character for him to want to deal with the Light in an effective manner, which to my mind means striking before they have time to plan and build, which are their main strengths. I'm not sure how much of Season 2 events are still going to be present in this fic, though I believe there are some general ones, but I can't really picture that happening in any believable manner, given we have four in-universe years before that, and frankly if the Light is still around then that's just incompetence.

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Just noticed Mr. Zoat, Hoard part 23 should be under 13th January on your TOC.

Bramble Thorn and Mr Zoat like this.
  25. SH2009

SH2009 Making the rounds.

Did someone say new timeline?!

Somone said NEW TIMELINE!

:D

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  26. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

Huh, almost expected a return of the Ambush bug. I'm liking this version of Paul, and would be curious to see where it leads. It looks like he had a bigger impact in this version on Earth than he has had in any other. (Main Paul's impact are in space.)

I would be interested in seeing what he and WW get up to, and if they get together.
    Good thing this is hosted on QQ.

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Just wanted to say, I'm editing the wiki that's on the TOC. I would like to invite anyone here who can help put more stuff in it.

28. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

And then he angered both Heaven and Hell and got brainwashed into being less effective.

Plus he is nowadays less interested on Earth than Grayven meaning his "flowers" can and will die without a caretaker around.

And his non human way of Thinking is getting tiresome since that's one part of him that's worse that at the start of the story.

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr. Zoat, an old one, but when Holly's girlfriend first showed up, her name was Karon Case, later appearances have her as Karon Chase. Which one is correct? If the former, later appearances need to be edited in story only thread. If the latter, her first appearance needs to be edited in the story only thread.

Prince Charon and Mr Zoat like this.
  30. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

The Sybarite speaks in a different font. I'm guessing that doesn't imply much beyond "his voice is a little odd," but it still raises questions...