1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, that's a worry. This sounds like it's one 'Rodney King' incident away from an explosion. And the problem is, you can't tell who's itching to throw the first punch more...

You're the Sector Lantern, you tell us. There aren't that many populated worlds in 2814, after all. Or have you been too busy on Earth?

So, it's basically the deep south in the fifties. Complete with it's own gangs of Klansmen and Black Panthers, so to speak.

Well, it is your job to keep things from getting too crazy. I know the racial thing is an 'internal political matter', as the Guardians no doubt class it, but it behooves you to prevent a planet-wide race war that would likely wipe them out... Especially if the Hate Plague or whatever it was from the Comics that did the Martians in gets let loose...

Small pebbles can create big avalanches, man. And never underestimate people's reactions to news they don't like.

Just one problem. The locals are telepathic. Going to be a bit hard to communicate with them if they can't sense your mind. That'd be a sure sign of distrust...

Do you want him coming in here dressed like a tank, OL? Because that'd probably be more inflammatory than light armour.

And, as I said, can't feel your mind, because of that disruptor. And it wouldn't be safe to run it in any kind of remote defensive mode, because a psychic attack could do a lot of damage before it kicked in. Just consider how long it took Psimon to mess with the Team's heads...

See? Even OL agrees. Maybe you need to learn some purely mental techniques, Stewart? As A Greenie, you've already got a step up on holding your thoughts firm.

Sounds like there's a bug up their bums about something. An arrest they don't agree with, maybe?

And who or what are they looking for, hmm? Suitable recruits?

Or are they seeking... Karmang, was it? I don't think he'd be too friendly towards a Green lantern, 'toady of the Guardians' that he is...

Lots of 'Move along' and 'It's a free cavern, why should I move?' going back and forth, I'll bet. And the inevitable bystanders doing the equivalent of filming on their phones.

OL's better placed to cover bystanders in trouble breaks out, which it likely will.

Delegation. You expect an Illustres to deal with this? He's got bigger worries.

So he's got some experience with making peace between two hostile parties. Who are likely to join ranks against him too.

That's not what he meant, OL. And looking human? I wonder if he's a fan of...

Oh my. Do we have something of a Xenophile here?

You're saying that because you can see the kid's desires, can't you, OL? x3 Or does the lad (lass?) think humans make interplanetary booty calls?

Yeah, enough messing with them, OL. Play it straight, will ya?

Aw, hell, shit's gonna go off, isn't it?

Heh, that's a good name for them. Neopolitan, because the three colours shall never mix. And it sounds like the local leaders are doubling down on the stupid.

Well, that depends. ;) How do you feel about military service?

And that's why M'Gann was so powerful but so sloppy... The Reds and Greens never bothered to learn just how strong Whites can be, did they?

Too much outlay for too small a profit, OL? But you never know if you'll find the next M'Gann amongst them...

Okay, things are getting hot, I see. Let's hope things don't explode too soon... The chapter's not over yet! :p

Can't say OL doesn't stand by his own hypocrisy, can you? The joy of Emotion-fueled clarketech...

Bet that White is mentally yelling 'Aw, hell, naw!' or 'See the oppression inherent in the system? See?' Might want to move the groups a little further away from the civilians, though. Don't want anyone catching a stray blast...

Oh, boy... Mars is about to catch fire, isn't it? The fire of racial intolerance and injustice. And this might well be the spark that sets it alight... Let's just hope it doesn't turn out like the comics Mars did...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Earth is practically an entire sectors worth of trouble sometimes.

And it's 2814.

He actually seemed pretty okay with them in the renegade side.

He didn't like the whole race divide, but he may have been thankful that they got rid of their violent personality traits that were destroying their planet.

Well M'gann may not be the only one.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    That's a vocabulary thing, and I don't think that we've heard John speaking enough to call one way of phrasing it right or wrong.

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Would normal Paul be bothered by it? Or would he just shrug and decide it was too late to change things so just keep doing what he was doing ala Lord Protector?

AngelicKnight., Rafin and DAT_NOOB like this.
  5. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I mean everyone would still have their desires set to serve paul without an easy way to turn them back to normal, don't tell me that if I dropped you into a pure dark desire wish fulfilment you wouldn't be at least tempted to keep it?

It kinda reminds me of that bit of Overlord where Suzuki tries to give the maids holidays but they protest the decision because their thought process means that they genuinely desire nothing more than to serve Ainz Ooal Gown.

Cuchulin and WereDragon like this.
  6. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I know things are strained between them, but Captain Comet could be a useful training asset in this regard, and Vega isn't a bad place for an Orange Lantern base. Especially if Paragon wanted to keep a closer eye on the region.

Do Red Martians possess an innate psychological sense of superiority to the other races? It could explain part of their reticence in adapting to the truth about their origins (though it makes perfect sense for mundane reasons too; millennia of static tradition is hard to erase).

I wonder if there's any chance of people in the Paragon timeline developing a way to safely undo Guardian programming. I don't think Karmang knew how to, but I could have forgotten.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Burning Martians reproduced by mass murder.

On a scale from 1 to "Hey let's turn the shark from Jaws into a flying cyborg sharkjet," that's still on the "How fucking high are you?" on the not safe things to do.

8. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Huh. You'd think they'd be happy to let the Whites be somebody else's problem.

9. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Who is going to clean their toilets then?

IsActuallyBatman, Doccer and Darko like this.
  10. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

They use organic technology. The toilets groom themselves of course.

IsActuallyBatman and Doccer like this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If he's cured of his evil then maybe he can reverse it himself as a attempt at redemption.

Ot if say paragon defeats him then he can reverse the changes to people.

Trying to reason with racist bigots is not exactly an easy task.

Gilhelmi and Doccer like this.
  12. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Am I right to assume that, just as Whites are streaming into that city, there's a wave of Greens and Reds moving out due to "falling property values"?

Also, why are those laws called "Neapolitan"?

Beyond that, I have a hard time remembering what happened in the Paragon timeline with regards to Mars and how and how much it differs from the Renegade one. Can someone give me a summary and/or link me to the relevant chapters?

13. Mr Zoat

Not really. The whole 'settling the surface' thing is reducing property values anyway.
    The SI informed J'emm of the true origin of modern Martians as well as showing him the mission telepathically. That information caused him to agree that apartide had to end and to promise to get the other Reds to go along with it. The SI left him to it, but told him that he would release the information eventually. In the Renegade timeline, M'gann released the information and caused a civil war.

14. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

What fallout? Everyone is happy. Everyone is working together harmoniously for a better future. He might feel bad about having done the things he did, however for practical purposes he has already reached the point where the ‘ends’ parts of ‘ends justify the means’ has already arrived.

He would hopefully stop being a self-indulgent (mind-)raping arsehole but I doubt his overall methods would change.

Bramble Thorn, DAT_NOOB and Ardy like this.
  15. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... Arsehole? Don't be judging. We don't know exactly what he's done, but I assume he's just shifted around and modified some desires. Some could argue that he's liberated them.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Administrator Breen, for example.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may decide to not mind control people ever again if he's returned to his pre evil personality.

Kinda like someone deciding to not engage in violence since they hurt someone.

We know he essentially destroyed Wonder Womans personality and made her a sex slave, in case you forgot.

So yes, calling him an asshole is a fairly accurate description of his character.

And that whole liberated thing you mentioned just makes me think of white colonialists stating that by enslaving black people and taking them away from their homes they'll be liberating them from their savagery.

WereDragon, Frank Iannetta and Ardy like this.
  18. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Different strokes!

That's a bit unfair. We rehab prisoners of their criminal ways, this version of Paul just rehabs women of their repressed sexuality towards him. And who hasn't wanted to make WW their sex slave?

---

All kidding aside (this is QQ, we're still allowed to have a sense of humor here, thank the gods), there's a good parallel between Tangseid and Paul's Leonard Snart, I think, assuming, of course, that this serum did change his brain (or thinking) in some way that his Ring can't detect. Cold's just not capable of caring, anymore, and it looks like Paul would be like that if not for his exposure to the Orange Light. It seems now he's just going to desire, and not worry about pesky little things like morality so much.

Ngamer11 and DAT_NOOB like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I know you're joking but it really isn't unfair to compare Tangseid to one of those slavers.

And rehab is used to make people drop harmful habits.

What Tangseid is doing is more similar to a gay conversion camp, in that he basically tortures and brainwashes people into being sexually attracted to someone they are highly likely to reject.

WereDragon likes this.
  20. Mr Zoat

I don't understand where you're getting this from. He wiped Wonder Woman's personality as the most rational way to realise his changes, then decided that he might as well give her a convenient personality afterwards. There hasn't been any mention of him doing anything quite like that to anyone else.

Finerc, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Fine, he tortured and brainwashed a person into being sexually attracted to someone they would be highly likely to reject.

WereDragon and Xmaster3000 like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

I'd argue 'tortured', on the grounds that he wasn't inflicting pain with the goal of getting something or for personal enjoyment. The process was unpleasant, but that's because it was an unpleasant process.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And I'd argue that getting his goals realised by brainwashing her and getting her out of the way falls under the category of 'getting something', and I also bet he found some enjoyment in getting rid of what he saw as a roadblock to his goals, so it kinda still is torture.

Doccer likes this.
  24. Pez

Pez Spaceman

All the pleasantness came afterwards. Giggity.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  25. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

You did say she was bound to the orange light battery for sometime by her own lasso. Not only would that be reminiscent of Heracles did to her mother which would be a horrible call back, but knowing that her true mind was slipping away, a slow painful death of her ego and id, (or whatever the personality would be called), I'd say that was quite a torturous experience that Paul inflicted upon her. The way he phrased the act he did have every intent or altering her mind to one he'd prefer. One that wouldn't fight him. One that agree with him. And apparently one that is fine with him slapping her ass or coping a feel at the least. And giving what her people constantly told her of men I imagine becoming that kind of woman or allowing her body to be mistreated in such a way was certainly a fear of hers. If she was still around I am sure she'd argue the description of torture with you.
    Further more torture is torture. If you had ever been tortured I am sure your torturers informing you that they've no pleasure from this wouldn't really matter to you. They are still the ones doing this to you.

26. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I assumed he did something similar to Circe, given her uncharacteristic blushing subservience to him.

27. BoML

BoML I trust you know where the happy button is?

"talking" should be 'taking'.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Of course, he can't avoid the book of destiny forever.

Eventually one or more of the heroes are going to get their minds back, his entire house of cards will fall apart, and he will end up in a science cell somewhere.

And then the world goes boom in World War 3.

Doccer likes this.
  29. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Umm... why would he do that? if he tried there is a good chance that the 'heroes' he changed the desires of would fight him believing his mind to be compromised. (leaving alone the fact he's made superheroing more efficient).

I'm not sure if paragon would either he left the syndicate alone and even helped them out before.

Or maybe he has made a contingency for that.

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    If I'm trying to kill someone, and I shoot them with a gun, and it doesn't kill them right away and causes them pain, that's not torture.