1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

IIRC, isn't Death of the Endless supposed to oversee this sort of stuff?

As exposited back on Mars, souls that lingered in the material world in low magic areas tend to enter torpor; becoming insensate. So they're not really going to be conscious for long after death. Assuming that this DC-verse ends in a Big Crunch deep into the future, all souls would eventually reunite in such a scenario. I presume they would probably be vacuumed up by the Source after that.

But if non of the above scenarios apply, then yeah, one probably needs an entire order of psychopomps to just to manage the lingering souls in the Milky Way galaxy. Probably patterned after the Lantern corps if the Maltusians ended up in charge.

2. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Paul is definitely not neurotypical (again) just because his enlightenment is gone.

No matter that something like this is possible, growing kilometers of skin should not have been such an easy option for him, the instinctual, deep seated revulsion we feel towards bodily harm should have prevented it.

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Pfft. If he was as smart as he seemed to think he was, he'd have been nowhere near the fighting. Typical back-seat driver, really. I suspect that's standard practice for Reach commanders anyway. Both the distance and the attitude...

The Reach are anything but honourable warriors, Ragnar. Their leaders prefer their own personal safety to the hustle and bustle of the front lines...

He's just itching for a good, honest fight, isn't he? Just two badasses punching and slashing at each other until one stops moving... Or perhaps the fine dance of two masters of their weapons, locked in a stalemate of mental judo as tactic after tactic is thought of and abandoned, until one single strike is unleashed...

I'd say he needs to get laid, but that's the wrong kind of desire... And here I though the term 'Conflict Libido' only applied to Worm stories...

To be fair, I doubt he's as famous as OL is, and largely unknown in the Reach's intelligence circles. Even cutting a sweet Puroresu-style "Come and Get Me!" is unlikely to get their attention...

Heh, the ultimate cockblock for a warrior like Ragnar. Not even the guts to face him, so they just send some goon with a suitcase nuke...

And Ragnar knows exactly why he's got this boner.

Ah, didn't take them too long. Now, how crazy is the plan going to be, I wonder?

Ah, the joy of connections. Good to see his memory is starting to stabilise a bit.

And now I miss the Orange Quotes. So hard to tell who's who without other descriptors. I assume dolphin-gent is the first one, going from the content...

Septhian and the rest got the Sky. He got the Stars. I'd say that's worth the not-quite-an-insult.

So effectively, his soul is trying to use a reassembly spell, but it can't find the target. How ironic.

:eek: Oh, don't say things like that... It just gives OL ideas. Ridiculous but effective ideas...

Besides the obvious grossness of the whole process. Seriously... Ew...

Needs must, Ends Justifies the Means and all that. One time where OL's mindset makes for a quicker, if grosser, result.

Hmm... What would be the most effective shape? A globe? a spray of tentacles? A starfish? ;)

One step away from pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps... And likely to leave them exhausted if any trouble comes along...

If chunks of his souls are on their way out of the system, that could be a problem...

I bet Hades' Realm was a bit noisy until the souls calmed down...

Is his head tilted? :p That guarantees he's boggling at you. I bet he heard stories from Sephtian and the others OL's worked with, but the reality...

I'll bet he did... Amongst the complaining about shades driven mad by their experiences?

Well, for a start, bits of you may be mixed in there. And imagine the trauma that may be causing the Leentniar shades...

Surprisingly compassionate. I still wonder how much concern the Leentniar have for their fate after death...

Which I assume they would find a strange request. But they could probably appreciate the compassionate aspect of it...

o_O Yeah, having an inattentive scoutship punch a hole in the Illustres might be hard to explain.

Man, if people on Earth ever hear about this, the Cake thing is going to seem small-time in comparison. The Team, for example will never let him live it down... And this means tomorrow's chapter will be very, very odd.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

In one of the previous episodes one of the Lanterns was planning to kill Paul after they finish with the Reach, so there are probably others that may also want to do that.

A lot of them probably want to be remembered for doing something great, and killing the host of the Ophidian certainly qualifies as great. It's terrible, but still great.

The OLC doesn't exactly put much stock in recruiting mentally healthy and sane people.

Yeah they recruit those that can use the rings safely, but as was shown in the previous episodes they've also recruited sociopaths, psychopaths and war criminals. Not groups that are known for loyalty.

The Reach may try to bribe these guys with the chance to kill Paul.

Yes, but in the comics the souls of those that have died in space still remain in space.

A Green Lantern once talked to a bunch of them.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

To be fair that's also how a lot of commanders in Earth do things.

The higher ups don't engage in combat much, they let their subordinates do it.

Again, this is also true of Earth.

Given that he was one of Paul's first recruits and went to Qward, the Reach may know about him.

You assume correctly.

Careful now.

That road can lead to sociopath/douchebag/moron/rapist Tangseids way of thinking if you're not careful.

6. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Considering that power rings have a return on death function I don't think they corp minds if a few of those die. Not sure what they are going to do with vets after they beat the reach.

Ardy likes this.
  7. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Someone neurotypical would at least ask if his hair (extended to fabulous lengths) would count enough for Sorcerer Squad’s needs.

8. TheLunarwolf

TheLunarwolf Making the rounds.

Remember to moisturise.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Presumably take away their rings using the AI in the rings if they think the vets are going to misuse the rings.

Ardy likes this.
  10. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

To be even more fair, that's how a smart generalship is run. Commanding from the front is romantic, but yes, they can hit an elephant from that range, and so all it actually does is produce a lot of dead generals.

Of course, for someone like Ragnar, this sets the Heresy Alarm blaring.

Otto von Saurion, Ardy and Vorian like this.
  11. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Well, to answer your question . . . I only really played Monster of the East when it had just come out, but whether it makes sense or not WARDEN would kick the shit out of the Hangdogs every single time.

Maybe some hotfix changed things and I was getting early weirdness. Or maybe you also played it right after it came out, in which case I have no idea why WARDEN always wins in my games and the Hangdogs always win in your games.

12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Not really. Most of the people they've recruited are extremely loyal, loathe the Reach or have a strong warrior ethos, if not all three. And there's little an Orange Lantern can't just get for themselves.
    Yes, it was Saarek, when he was searching for the Anti-Monitor's corpse at the behest of Scar. I don't suppose anyone's found an image of it, have they? I wanted to link to it in today's segment but couldn't find it.

Cuchulin, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well I fround this image of him talking to ghosts, but it's not the one you were thinking of.

[​IMG]

I'll see if I can find the other one.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I found another one of him talking to dead people.

[​IMG]

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Found it.

[​IMG]

It's in Green Lantern Corps Volume 2 issue 29.

16. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

That's the one, thank you. Could have sworn I checked 29.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I was first checking the Green Lantern comics issue 29, but then I went to the wiki and saw that it was Green Lantern Corps issue 29.

Maybe we were both just looking at the wrong comic.

18. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

IIRC literally all of the brain-in-a-jar robots in the Fallout 4 DLC had psychic shockwaves as one of their primary methods of ranged attack. They were also all bugnuts insane, and their murderous insanity played a role in all of the quests they were involved in.

19. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

The Leentniar have been dying in space for generations. Is their path just a continuous line of Nightmare Mass with a few occasional breaks for where they raided a planet and their dead were so lucky as to be allowed into wherever that specific planet puts genocidal raiders from completely foreign cultures?

Vorian likes this.
  20. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

This might have already been asked, but the dolphin-man elementalist presumably isn't a Venturian, since he was at Sephtian's work party way back when. How did he become a LEGION-affiliated mage?

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's possible that he either moved to Venturia, or this space project is also including the rest of Atlantis.

22. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

It's implied he didn't fit in very well with the culture of the Atlantean labs so when the opportunity arose... he took it.

Ardy likes this.
  23. Orabilis

Orabilis Vidi, Vici, Veni

Dang I dunno how to get the embed to start at 1:42

Assblaster5000 and Bramble Thorn like this.
  24. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wouldn't even creating that much mass cost a bunch of energy? I mean I am not an expert on rings, but there is still the first law of thermodynamics. Sure you can create an energy construct, but converting energy into matter must take massive costs.

Not to mention turning yourself into a blob of skin feels like the opposite of Wholeness Rightly Assumed. You cant just think your way into having different desires. Especially such a primal one. You can certainly ignore it, but you cabt make yourself desire the opposite.

This feels like one of the true primary weaknesses of an orange ring.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  25. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

Want the ends, want the means. He desires to be whole, and expanding himself temporarily is the fastest way to do that.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  26. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Hello, I'm Mogo and I'm here to talk to you about how trivial it is to maintain a large environmental shield, even when it's powered by something as difficult to handle and fickle as will, rather than your innate instinctual unyielding desire to not die in space.

boo600, Idkusername, Ngamer11 and 5 others like this.
  27. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Link?

28. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

here:

29. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

On the question of Robobrains . . . They don't have psychic abilities. That shockwave attack they have is actually because Robobrains have a built in Mesmetron.

Well, starting from Fallout 3 they've had a built in Mesmetron.

And for a refresher, the Mesmetron is a pacification device that's supposed to make it easy to subdue or interrogate people. Though it also has a small chance of either driving someone homicidally insane or just making their head explode.

Despite what the lore says it's supposed to do, when used against the PC all it ever does is damage and disorient.

30. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

quietwhile and Cuchulin like this.