1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have added another rule, please check the Rules post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

What are the shop hours of a god mechanic worth I wonder?

2. Darko

Darko Well worn.

I'm getting some American Gods vibes.

Assuming he's still on Earth and not on Thanagar.

Hmm, now I'm thinking this episode may be more focused on Paul and him adapting to his new state, or more specifically the difficulties of adapting, like him nearly acting on others desires.

They did a brief inspection, but then Kalmin went Kalmin.

Plus it may be impossible for them to speak some of those languages due to differences in speech organs.

Though they may have medical professionals that say are experts in certain types of biologies, like insectoids or mammalian, and may use their rings to get more info on it.

Plus there are the Guardians, who are super genius immortals, so they may also function as doctors sometimes.

'of your'

They're still fairly young as an organization.

Spend enough time around Paul and you'll know.

This Vulcan's secret ID?

3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare I trust you know where the happy button is?

Depends if his schedule is sane or if he has to work ungodly hours.

Since I've seen TTS recently, can we get a scene were Paul calls someone called Cawl on his ring?

AngelicKnight., Rebu, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Well worn.

Fingers crossed this happens in a Warlantern 40k chapter.

Handlewithcare and Ardy like this.
  5. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Delamain, is that you?

Rebu and Assblaster5000 like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

They were in the book, but I couldn't find a clip of them in the series.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.
    No Mutie Marines in my grim dark future! Purity is non-negotiable!
    Who?

7. Darko

Darko Well worn.

They may show up in season 4.

moralrelativity likes this.
  8. cookiemontser

cookiemontser Getting out there.

This whole "OL and Dox avoiding each other because OL will undermine Dox" thing is getting to be a little much. If Dox can't stand on his own legs than he doesn't deserve to lead to the Corp. Furthermore, who is most powerful and who is suited to lead are distinct from one another. I don't think anyone would seriously suggest that OL is a better strategist/tactician than Dox. Dox has his advantages, which are better suited to leadership, while OL is more a battle commander/one man army type of person. I can understand OL distancing himself initially to give Dox room to shape the Corp without inteference, but at this point the hierarchy should be pretty clear to everyone, especially if its spelled out in black and white. Also it doesn't help that OL goes around telling people why he's keeping his distance; that kind of undermines the purpose of it.

9. Darko

Darko Well worn.

If he told it to people inside the Corps, then it would undermine it.

However, so far he's only told it to people outside the Corps, whose opinion doesn't affect Dox.

10. DrThoth

DrThoth Not too sore, are you?

Is Paragon's empathic vision always on to an extent or does he have to activate it? The text doesn't explicitly say he scanned the car with it so I wonder if it could have found something.

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...Great, whatever affected the car has a sense of humour? OL did check there's no GPS, didn't he? Still, at least it didn't decide to go for a nice Sunday drive.. regardless of what day it is. And the driver has one doozy of a story for the water cooler gossip...

Okay, now that's just cheeky. Are we sure it's not a disguised Cybertronian?

Perhaps an exorcist? :p But seriously, maybe have OL and Arisia consult a magician concerning it?

Hmm... No magic detected now. Doesn't mean there wasn't something happening earlier... Hope the guy has a bus pass.

Okay, not a Cybertronian, nothing physically unusual... I'm getting a concerning 'nascent Elemental flexing its' muscles' vibe here.

It would be a vanishingly rare phenomenon. And none of the probable causes seem to fit here. Quite the conundrum.

Oh, there are so many tales of that. I wonder, are self-driving cars a thing on Earth-16 yet? I'm surprised Lexcorp hasn't looked into that market. On the other hand, wild AI probability...

Along with a god of The Internet. Too much to hope for that he's like Freakazoid, though. Hell, the Internet could forge an entire Pantheon by itself. Fear their god of 'love'...

Looks like you might be taking the bus for a little while, Mister McCrae. Unless you want to take the chance it happens again?

So 'A burst of wild magic'? Pretty unlikely. But then, one in a million chances do tend to happen quite often around here.

Perhaps you'd like to get a second opinion?

Well... I suppose there'd have to have been a saint of cars sooner or later.

Huh. Interesting coincidence. Hopefully not related to this, but you never know... o_O

Such a nice lady. Let's hope his day does improve. It would have to go up from here.

Why not introduce him to Arisia? Might do her some good to have a local tech expert. :p

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't check in as they flew. At least let the dispatcher know the problem's in hand.

She's got a good head on her shoulder, that one. Can't find a problem with a malfunctioning vehicle? Ask an expert. Better than some Lanterns.

Oh, yes. I fully expect there to be all manner of probing.

:D All the probing. After all, he's quite unique. I'm sure more than a few will want to get some data on Orange Light interactions...

'What's happened'. Such British understatement. Seriously, most Lanterns only die once. OL practically has a frequent visitor card with Death.

Until Soranik Natu joins... Though even she tended to rely on database reference. Honestly, I'd expect at least one or two Lanterns with decent medical training if nothing else.

Huh. Logical enough. I'm guessing most Lantern deaths still come because anything strong enough to beat their defences is very hard on flesh and bone (or whatever their equivalent is...)

<Sigh...> Still harping on that, OL? You know, if you wanted more input on things, you should have insisted. No matter how badly Dox's ego would complain.

Sure, change the subject... Back to the business at hand, I suppose.

Mister Jordan being Hal's brother? Part of the police force, I take it?

Still amusing that Vulcan works as an auto-mechanic...

Hmm... Is his pseudonym some manner of in-joke? Or just something he picked at random?

Said 'brother' being Hephaestus, I would assume?

A very conventional transitional chapter. I presume there'll be a short cutaway elsewhere, since it'll take a few minutes at least to get the local police sorted out and have Vulcan organise a consultation... Still, it's concerning that this happened. Personally, I'm putting my bet on a growing Elemental force of technology...

12. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 Know what you're doing yet?

He's an AI from the Cyberpunk setting that runs a highly reputable, no questions asked taxi service in Night City, overall a nice guy and chill lad. So long as you don't think about his less than stellar reaction to accidentally making more AI anyways.

13. Darko

Darko Well worn.

It's probably not the Metal, unless God forbid Zoat actually did a n52 storyline, so it may be Construct or Kilg%re.

Or protests from taxi and bus drivers.

I think she became an OLC member offscreen.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Versed in the lewd.

I'm confused... Why is Paul so insistent on believing that nothing's wrong when there's very clearly something wrong...

15. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Pretty sure she didn't.

Paul said the recruitment with her failed... I think if we see her it will be as a green lantern or a yellow lantern after her dad recruits her.

16. Darko

Darko Well worn.

I think Zoat mentioned something about Paul leaving the ring with her and she eventually decided to use it to help people.

Don't remember when he said this, just that he did.

17. Stsword

Stsword I trust you know where the happy button is?

I remember him typing the same thing.

So if it's a delusion, at least it's a shared delusion. :)

18. Mr Zoat

They're the best kind!

19. Darko

Darko Well worn.

Everything is better if it's with friends.

Or strangers on the internet in this case.

20. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

:( :( :(

21. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

seconded

Actually, on the discussion of whether it's disruptive to have other versions of Paul interleaved with each other, my two cents: I trust that there are often things about them that offer interesting commentary or backchannel ways to think about each other, even when they don't necessarily directly interact. I'm generally interested in stories about how people with power decide what to do with it in different circumstances, and these offer other avenues to see that, in similar ways that fanfic of other works can. Look, I have read/am reading many works in progress by many different authors. Just about all of whom post a chapter here and there much further apart than Mr Zoat. I've grown accustomed to switching between stories that are somewhat related to each other by virtue of being in the same fandom, and needing to keep track of differences in order for the one I'm reading at any given moment to make sense, re-reading bits preceding the one(s) posted most recently as necessary. I'm fine with a structure to this thread in which Mr Zoat has bits from various alternates put in where he sees fit.

Power rings
    I lift my left

Fellow, Lord Ernest, Mr Zoat and 4 others like this.
  22. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey Not too sore, are you?

Lord 34.

23. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

And we, his loyal disciples.

Milf 5:5 The lewd shall inherit the Earth.

24. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Making the rounds.

Should the first few references be switched to Vulcan as the Roman God of Forge and mechanic? It seems odd that the SI would switch names mid-conversation and not explain who the second chap is after explaining the first.

25. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

Well of course! He is both a superhero and a protagonist. It is practically a contractual obligation. :p

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  26. HatsAreHats

HatsAreHats Wears sunglasses at night

What robot-y characters haven't showed up yet, hmm... Cyborg Superman's head is hiding in the engine.

27. Rafin

Rafin Know what you're doing yet?

How come Vulcan doesn't have an Italian pseudonym?

28. Mr Zoat

I think that's thirded, actually.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Hephaestus is the forge god of the SI's religion, but Vulcan knows more about cars.
    Seth Lans.

29. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Experienced.

Remember that Legion Of Superheroes villain who is a troll and takes control of tech in the past? I think it may be this one.

That would also explain the lack of traces as his tech is freaking amazing for doing the temporary control thing even by Legion of Superheroes standards.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  30. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic Know what you're doing yet?

At least he didn't use Nimoy.
    then again DC doesn't have Star Trek so the joke wouldn't work.

Gilhelmi likes this.