1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have added another rule, please check the Rules post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to some issues with Freenode, the QQ IRC Channel is moving. See here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    No, I think that's okay.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, as the date hasn't changed.

2. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm assuming Medidiction is a neologism based on Meditate or Media+ Malediction, but that's just my guess. Maybe a bunch of Orange Lanterns go on a trippy vision quest to the Honden or something as part of their spiritual training.

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

An interesting title, which appears to be a portmanteau of meditation and... Well, there's rather a lot of words ending in -diction. Could be Malediction, a curse or unwanted blessing. Which seems kind of appropriate for what OL's going in search of. Anyone else got ideas?

Yes, very much a good idea to be present for that little set-to. If only to try and contain the no-doubt-impressive level of destruction the two hate-birds might be bringing to the party.

Fascinating. I have to wonder what sort of cultural history would bring about a lifestyle like that. It sounds almost like the Roman Republic, who elected senior officials via popular vote, with less of the publicity contest modern voting has become... As for you being stupid, well, much has already been said on that matter...

Of course. The man is a control freak of the highest calibre. That's why you recruited him, after all. Though it seems all the interpersonal interactions he's had since joining has helped to lesson some parts of that. Mellowed out a bit, you might say, and not a single narcotic needed. He still needs to get laid, though.

Admittedly, speaking off-the-cuff like this has it's own drawbacks, such as OL's tendency to overshare or start sucking on figurative shoe leather, sometimes without even noticing...

Thanks goodness for that. I suppose a little fluff piece might help you unwind a little yourself.

Yeah, who knows what social faux pas you might have already committed. After all, not every anthropoid sophont species has the same body language quirks as humans. A smile on one world might seem friendly, another might take it as a declaration of hostility. Especially if it bares teeth.

Which I presume they know, and are prepared to deal with already. They wouldn't have signed on with N.E.M.O. otherwise.

And you never know when some dastardly Reach infiltrator group is going to take advantage of their fleet being occupied elsewhere...

Though, for the most part, I expect their psychoses tend to manifest as an overly excessive urge to build things, even if they have to pull other things apart for the materials. Probably only really dangerous if said things have guns, or they're using occupied buildings for materials. Still, better safe than sorry... Last thing you want is some yahoo deciding his planet needs a pyramid the size of Olympus Mons...

Plus, again, the whole 'your fleet is busy cleaning up the mess' thing... I don't doubt the ship could have glassed the planet, though. Even if it only packed kinetic projectile weapons, the sheer number it could bring to bear would be enough to rain 'rods from god' aplenty.

Huh, better than how humans would respond. I guess the panic reflex is a lot shallower amongst the carrans.

Don't make promises the Reach won't let you keep, OL. You never know what'll happen.

They were wily sneaks who bravely ran away. Honestly, one of the most sensible decisions an enemy of OL has ever made.

...Oooh, right. Anti-Spectrum weapons aren't something the high command is going to want to be public knowledge. On the other hand, if they can assemble a supercut right, it could be the best action blockbuster ever created. :V Until OL's next big fight.

So, as I said, it's only a matter of the anti-Spectrum weapons that's in the way, eh? Don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry in the galactic crime scene seeking out guns that can shut down a Lantern...

Logical enough. And suggesting that the Reach might be listening could get the idea across to the carrans that being totally open with their information might not be the smartest idea. Though I doubt it.

I suppose if Dox had it his way, they'd never release the footage, edited or not.

And yet that's public knowledge. I guess some Lanterns have had quite visible incidents... and 'Sparring session', huh? I guess that's one way to avoid calling it a date. :p

Though I doubt Kal-El would have too much difficulty, between super-speed and what little of his enhanced Kryptonian intellect he bothers to employ.

Ah, that explains why people know about the tang-whammy issue. And he's right about the changes. Compare OL in the first episode to OL now.

That's a good question. That must have been an interesting recruitment process for them, given the nature of their culture. Still have to wonder just how much of OL's abilities are due to his soul-less nature upon arrival and his merging with Best Snek...

I wonder if the early days of the Green Lanterns were anything like this, minus the whole war thing... Though given their early conflicts with Apokalips and the Reach... And the Guardians were probably a lot more knowledgable about the Green Light than the Controllers are about Orange now.

...Well... Hmm, should he mention the fact that both participants have a knack for weapons development? Quite large and powerful weapons...

I suppose he has to at least make sure Tad doesn't get himself killed... Or at least put him back together well enough afterwards that Thaddeus won't complain much.

An amusing start. Thankfully, Dox knows that OL isn't going to make a complete fool of himself in candid interviews, so I doubt there'll be much to worry about on that front. x3 Plus, working with Georgia might be proving a nice distraction... Still, the trip to Karax, once it comes along, should prove to be entertaining. Just this little tussle between Tad and Daciya to get out of the way first...

4. Darko

Darko Well worn.

He's probably getting laid now.

And even if he notices that's not a guarantee that he'll stop sucking on the shoe leather.

The guy has brains and beawn.

The OL and the beginning seemed more human, compared to the almost Vulcan-like version of present OL.

5. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player A blank Page for any role you need

What partial emotional internal consistency does to a person.

mastermenthe likes this.
  6. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

My first idea was Medi(cal) + Diction (as in "you need more lessons on proper diction young man") so... "medical way of speaking"? fake edit: just thought a better way to describe this: "Bedside manner." :D:p

DrThoth and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  7. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Mr Zoat, I found some broken pictures.
    Also, I was wondering how Batwoman!Jade knew Freedom Beast, and if there is any version of Harold Allnut in the universes we will see.

9. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

My first read of "Medidiction" was as a portmanteau of "meddling addiction" which you have to admit is on-brand.

Vorian, Lord Ernest and pervyshyguy like this.
  10. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Know what you're doing yet?

At least it is an informed popularity contest?
    Everyone knowing relevant things should enable a decent result.

11. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic Not too sore, are you?

One Night only it's the fight of the decade.
    Terran Mad Scientist VS Qwadrian Weaponeer!

Sentients and sophonts of all genders & ages are you ready?
    Are you Rrrrredy?!
    LETS GET READY TO CRACK A PLANET!
    [cheering crowd]

"And somehow we got space Michael Buffer for this production"

5000 Quataloos that the Qwardian frags the Keezy Terran!

"Lobo what the hell are you doing here?"

The Main Man Came here to Drink Flurb and watch a fight.

"This day keeps getting better and better."

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  12. Doccer

Doccer Not too sore, are you?

"Let's just say they like to take very enthusiastic spars."

13. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

You make it sound like they're going to dress up in red overcoats and go for walks together.

14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, fixed.

15. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

What is the problem with using a construct ring as a backup secondary/tertiary ring slaved to the proper ring.
    I was under the impression those rings could store and maintain a charge.
    Remember the scenes with people finding rings inadvertently called from Larfleeze's stash by OL.
    They worked until depleted. Which means they can get him back up to 200, 300 or 400% so low charges don't happen again.

Not sure that is a actual word the way you are using it. Googling it brings up game results.
    Trying to exclude that with 'define hexile' had the search ignored as a typo and results displayed for 'define exile'.
    There was definition from Urban dictionary about being exiled from your dorm so a roommate can do some black magic.

Also, it is backhanded. It you were trying to coin a definition of 'in the top sixth' which would be the top 16-17%. Like saying the person who destroyed all your ships would be in the top 10% of Reach warriors, but not the top percentile (1%), or top 1/36th (whatever that would be in reach number conventions).

Green, Mr. Zoat, really? Using the team colors of the wrong Lantern Core, for shame.

16. Mr Zoat

Yes.

17. LazySloth13

LazySloth13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Mr Zoat with mention of the Turians from Mass Effect is there any chance of seeing an alternate version of the SI, or a future version of Paul, dropped into said universe armed with a power ring?

18. Mr Zoat

Seems unlikely. I had ideas about a DC Earth in Mass Effect universe, but nothing with an SI. The main point of view character would have been Lor-Zod.

Wetbananas, Ngamer11, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  19. Doccer

Doccer Not too sore, are you?

Against. Against each other.
    And one is likely already wearing a long lab coat that could be seen as grey in a dark lightening.

20. Silverias

Silverias Getting sticky.

Honestly, I'm really hoping we get more Ophidian soon.

Her presence was interesting, and the heart (and its implications) have been a very interesting plot concept that hasn't been quite resolved yet.

I also want more Alan. He's an important difference between SI and Renegade's universes and I'd like to see what he's doing with his second chance.

(These are all preferences, and are in no way demands on the author)

21. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Getting sticky.

Do Raven and Trigon exist on Earth 16? I know that Paul tried looking for Raven, and couldn't find her.

22. Darko

Darko Well worn.

Zoat once said that he may plan to have Trigon show up in year 6, or after the story ends.

Renegade Raven also gets adopted by Richard Swift, a.k.a. the Shade.

23. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Getting sticky.

I have yet to read Renegade. I should probably go back and do that.

24. Darko

Darko Well worn.

It still hasn't happened yet and it may take years, both in the story and in real life, until it does happen.

ChestBurster likes this.
  25. Coda

Coda I trust you know where the happy button is?

The more proper term is "sextile." I didn't flag it as an error because it looked like "character doesn't know word, makes up something that works, can still be understood; no problem."

26. Threadmarks: Medidiction (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

26th August 2012
    17:28 GMT

I suppose that 'because they'll kill each other if I don't' is the obvious answer.

Thaddeus appears to have rebuilt and improved the mechanical frame he wore to get-.

Ah.

"Thaddeus, you haven't actually found a way to access the Honden of Avarice without me, have you?"

"Hm…" He squirms into position. "Accessing arcane realms is relatively simple, but interacting with them in a useful fashion is complicated. I can not do what you do and go there whenever I feel like, and the inertia of people's desires means that it is actually quite-" He checks the range of movement, rotating the right arm in a circle. "-difficult to change it. And the Ophidian would not like it one bit."

"Please don't."

"I am.. more interested…" His frame bunny hops up and down, a cyan… Fizzing effect appearing around the wrists and ankles. "In exotic energy and mechanics than I am in arcane physics..." He wobbles the frame back and forth, nodding as it automatically adjusts to remain upright. "Anyway."

"Have you ever been in a fight before?"

"Yes? Of course I have." The frame begins walking out of the preparation area and towards the arena. "I mean, not a formal duel like this, but the-. The encounter that led to this, that was fighting."

"Right, yes, but if I remember the Justice League files correctly, don't you usually make sure that you have the drop on your target, shoot first from concealment and avoid getting into combat personally?"

"Yes, I do know that I'm not as physically imposing as Magni. But I have engaged in fisticuffs with Lieutenant Marvel."

I frown. "Really?"

"Well. Nearly. He was punching the force field, and I was-. The point is, I'm no stranger to working in close physical proximity to violence."

"Have you ever been injured?"

"A few bruises, a few scrapes."

"No serious injuries?"

"Paul, look at me. There's not that much of me to injure. When we fight the Marvels, if the force fields go down then it is time to throw in the towel. Qwardians like Daciya aren't anything like as strong as that, but if it somehow comes down to a contest of strength then I have still lost."

"Alright, but you need to be aware that she's had a lot more physical conditioning than you have."

"All time wasted." We walk out of the entrance and start out across the arena floor. "Physical effort is constantly being supplanted by machinery in every field of endeavour. If she was serious about being a Weaponer, she should have realised that her time was better spent improving her weapons."

He pulls a lever and his frame's right arm swings in a gesture of dismissal.

"That sort of foolishness is why they assigned her to be a test subject."

Approaching from the other side I see Kalmin walking… I don't think that he and Daciya are actually walking together so much as walking in the same direction from the same place. Daciya's augmented her dull brown armour with additional plates and.. some sort of bracer-mounted assemblage connected to the armour's back. I suspect that her armour isn't made for taking direct hits so much as blocking shrapnel or the radiation emitted by her own weapons, but I suppose that I shouldn't assume where an Apprentice Weaponer is concerned.

"Huh. Her armour's interfering with my scans."

"Yes?"

"That's actually somewhat-. Oh, no, there we go."

Daciya skips a half-step and her armour shimmers slightly.

"And there we go again."

"Worried?"

"I have no objection to working for my successes. Though that may well make it a little harder to leave her alive. I assume that you would prefer that?"

"Ideally. Don't risk yourself."

"Of course not."

We come to a halt in the middle of the arena, slightly ahead of the Qwardian duo. They approach at a steady rate, stopping five metres away.

"Weaponer Kalmin. Is your student ready?"

"She is. Is the boy ready?"

"Always hard to be sure ahead of time, but he thinks so."

Thaddeus looks at me.

"What are you doing?"

"You're here at my invitation. Daciya's here at Kalmin's. Kalmin and I negotiated how this was going to work while you were preparing."

"What do you mean, 'how it's going to work'?"

"Did you think we were in the business of letting people challenge each other to fights to the death? If you want to fight here, you will follow the rules we lay down."

"Why are you bringing this up now?"

"Because I didn't want to give you time to argue. So: the format."

"What's wrong with just fighting?"

"Because it turns the whole thing into rock-paper-scissors. Neither of you have seen each other's best work. So either one of you has an advantage and wins, or you're both vulnerable to each other and both die. And that's boring."

Kalmin shakes his helmeted head. "He actually suggested turning the arena into a junk yard and forcing you to build from what you could salvage."

"That could have been interesting. But what did you agree to on my behalf?"

"Nine rounds of five minutes each, with ten minutes between them to repair or modify your equipment. Rounds are fought to time, until one party concedes or until Kalmin or I call it. The victor is the first to win five rounds, or the one who incapacitates their opponent. When we call a round, you will stop or we will stop you. You will not like it if we have to stop you."

It looks like Kalmin briefed Daciya, but she doesn’t look entirely sanguine.

"What happens when I kill him?"

"As if."

"Them's the breaks. Deliberately killing an incapacitated opponent will result in our displeasure, but if they happen to die… That's just what happens sometimes."

Kalmin nods. "This is intended to be a learning exercise. I'd like it if you both left with a few scars, but it's most important that you both learn something."

"Oh, fine." Thaddeus raises his frame's arms into a boxer's pose. "I'll go easy on her. When do we begin?"

I nod to Kalmin, and we rise into the air and head back towards our respective entrances. Engaging arena force fields…

"Go on three. One, two,-"

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  27. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

Should be 'suggested' past tense I believe.

And I wonder if we'll be seeing the entire duel, or just the beginning/end/highlights. Nine rounds seems like a bit much to make a chapter/mini-arc out of.

28. Darko

Darko Well worn.

'if I don't' is the'

'rebuilt'

'in a'

you're right to be worried.

Also any previous fights with the Marvel family.

So like Rick and his fight with Reggie, except less fighting on Thad's part and Freddie isn't a douchebag like Reggie.

Nothing wrong with trying to make sure you can be dangerous without tech.

Actually it was because the head honcho didn't want competent and rebellious people around.

Maybe add 'competition' at the end.

'has an'

'or modify'

Now to witness the fight of the century!

The next chapter is going to feature Paul just commenting what happened in the fight after it happened offscreen, isn't it?

29. Coda

Coda I trust you know where the happy button is?

Missing closing quote.

rebuilt

EDIT: Well dang. And here I thought I was being early for a change and I was still ninjaed.

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.
    Thank you, corrected.