1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have added another rule, please check the Rules post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to some issues with Freenode, the QQ IRC Channel is moving. See here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Yes.

ChestBurster and Prince Charon like this.
  2. Lokpik

Lokpik Know what you're doing yet?

They could have started out as first or second generation demigods but like grayven they changed there name and imitated the titans to form a link to their domain and this caused a divine awakening?

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I can understand not wanting to be seen as rude by doing something so mercantile, but safety first, OL. I'm sure your hosts expect you to check and find nothing wrong anyway, why disappoint them?

Hopefully not looking for some entertainment, I hope. That sort of thing usually comes after the actual introductions.

Well, they're clearly tasty, at least. And if she's showing no difficulties, not poisoned in any obvious way.

Especially if the local fruit has any... mind-affecting qualities. Like a natural booze fruit or something.

If nothing else, you can keep your eyes open. You might spot something OL or Melinoë might miss. Especially if they're distracted by the bigger picture.

I suspect she's used to not needing to bother about achievement. Joy of beign a Z-list deity.

Now why would she need to do that? It's not like every deity has to live their portfolio. Those like Hephaestus do because they enjoy it...

Yes, it's called being Human. Striving for more than you have. Enjoying when you can gain a little more, and despairing when you lose it.

Given the Kitchen-sink nature of the DC Multiverse, it might just have been so somewhere. I certainly doubt she's the sort for such high literature... Probably loves Mills & Boon bodice-rippers, I bet.

Point taken, say no more.

To be fair, Eris knows just how to push people's buttons. Even OL's.

Well, at least the rest made it... Sort of.

Finally. So, is it mind-altering? Mildly inebriating, perhaps?

A good question. If the Titans don't hold to the rules of Hospitality... What else might they do?

Ah, loopholes. The downfall of many a being who thought themselves wise.

...Let me guess, she's naturally a little curvy.

Yeah, you don't have all day. Just imagine the paperwork piling up on the ladies' desks.

Offering a quiet prayer to the Titans, I bet. I'm not getting the impression they're the best of gods, though...

Ah. the sort used to seeing their rulers from a long way off, not dealing with them directly. And probably cursing the day she got ordered to 'entertain' the guests, and the superior who volun-told her she'd be doing it....

Coeus and Phoebe, of the Titans of myth. Little known in mythology, so the DC versions had carte blanche to imagine their personalities...

Heh. Now, are they simply the first to arrive, or are they in charge of doing a little digging into the ambassador's character...

Now, if this was the Renegade, I suspect there'd be jokes comparing Coeus to Princess Luna. Probably using that exact comment about the shampoo...

Yeah, it's a little more awkward to wrestle like that. Probably half the point of the position. That and basically offering your opponent your sword arm...

Because why should the Olympians be the only Mediterranean deities to practice divine 'incest'. :p

Now, will there be an explosion of rage, or of amazement? Will he be offended, or delighted, to meet his grand-niece?

Well, that was direct. I suppose dancing around the issue and trying to avoid addressing it would be a little offensive in the face of Hospitality... We can but hope they've mellowed out a bit about their little loss during the Titanomachy. Or this whole meeting will become more than a little awkward. :confused:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Lokpik, ChestBurster, Vorian and 17 others like this.
  4. theaceoffire

theaceoffire I trust you know where the happy button is?

Cough cough.

Seriously Mythbusters, why you gotta ruin fun phrases for us?

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

6. Darko

Darko Well worn.

In the myths they apparently brought a golden age to mankind.

However it could just as easily be like the Percy Jackson Golden age, as in the Golden age of humanity being entertainment and fast food for gods.

Lots of gods from lots of mythologies practiced incest.

7. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

What are you doing, step-goddess?

8. asparagus

asparagus Getting sticky.

Since it's based on a true story of a white whale that liked sinking whaling ships, I would not be surprised if there was a guy obsessed with it in DC.

9. Whiteeyes

Whiteeyes Non Breeding Bunny

Yeah sister-wife is very Greek divinities. Wait, does this mean we can run into some other lesser known titans such as Kratos, the God of War (pre-Aries, unlike what the video games portray)?

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Old Knife

Old Knife Know what you're doing yet?

I'm not expecting prejudice from a god, but that's a title you give a supervillain, just saying.

I blame Disney.

11. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

He's a follower of Eris.

There are no mistakes, there are just happy little accidents.

12. Huttj509

Huttj509 Making the rounds.

Able to work, but very fragile and fiddly requiring a whole lot of effort to get right?

The phrase still works :)

13. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Also Egyptian (or Kandaqi, unless they're that different here), but given the names, it fits well.

14. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

11th September 2012
    14:37 GMT

"And these-."

"Hades elder brother of Zeus Hades?"

"Yes. And you are not the titan Coeus. Where did you come from?"

"Ah." He takes a moment to regain his mental equilibrium, Phoebe lightly touching his left arm with the tips of the fingers of her right hand. "No, as I said, I'm a god. My mother named me for her late brother. He was slain by your father, as I recall."

"The titans were mighty. Extremely hard to kill. My father does not often talk about it, but from what I remember of his stories Coeus was a team effort."

"A team-. Do not speak so lightly of my uncle's death!"

His metaphysique is protected, but with the Ophidian's help I can get a rough feeling for him. That outburst was more due to shock than rage, but more importantly I get a feel for his complexity. He's… Young. The titans were defeated… What, seven thousand years ago? He's nothing like that old. He might even be younger than me-. My actual age, rather than my official age.

"Melinoë, that isn't helpful. Please-."

"Do not assume that my goals are the same as yours."

"I'm not assuming that, but I am assuming that your reduced strength in the material universe means that I could -for example- stick you in the corner of the room with a construct gag on."

Coeus appears baffled, but Phoebe is starting to smile. Melinoë is giving me her full attention, her face a picture of indignation.

I step in front of her, blocking Coeus's view of her and hers of him.

"Sorry about that. I didn't get much notice and she was the first available Olympian."

"I-." He shakes his head. "Fine. We-. I wasn't expecting you to bring an Olympian."

"I was told to bring a staff, and that you were from Earth. I don't even know why you wanted to talk to an ambassador."

Phoebe leans into her husband. "Then perhaps it would help if we explained that. And.. where it is that we come from."

"I'll take anything."

"Then, please, be seated."

Coeus doesn't look entirely certain, but responds to her gentle tug on his arm to sit down on a nearby bench. I take a seat opposite, leaving Melinoë to choose between either joining me or joining Aporia. She chooses me. Right.. next to me, and

an image of the walls around me trapping me squeezing me crushing me

and that would be deeply unpleasant if I wasn't resistant to magic, enlightened and training to deal with it.

I hold out my right hand and cause my personal lantern to manifest.

"My authorisation."

Coeus nods. "Your ring would suffice, but we acknowledge it. You are the Illustres, second in power?"

"I'm the second in authority. Even without the Ophidian's aid, I'm probably the most powerful."

He nods. "Yes, there's more to authority than power. A lesson our mother took great pains to teach us."

"Your mother?"

"The titan Rhea."

Zeus's mother, who… Yes, I don't think there was any record of what happened to her. I cautiously glance at Melinoë to see if she wants to volunteer anything.

"She was banished to the Dream. I had assumed that she was content to dwell there."

"A lie."

"Husband."

Coeus and Phoebe make momentary eye contact with one another. Coeus inclines his head slightly.

"An incomplete truth. Yes, Rhea was banished to the Dream, but she broke her banishment and fled from the Earth. We are her heirs."

"And where is she now? I would be curious to meet my grandmother."

He bows his head.

"Dead. As I am sure that you know, being anchored to the material universe weakens us immensely."

I frown. It's more than that; a titan is far more primal than a god. They shouldn't be able to exist outside of their medium. So… Yes, ganking an avatar and harming or killing the god by doing so is perfectly possible, but I doubt that's the full story.

"You have my commiserations."

He watches my face for a moment or two before nodding. "Thank you. But what of you? What are you? You seemed… Human, but I feel something greater within you."

"That's the Ophidian, universal embodiment of avarice. She's a little like a titan, I suppose, but she's bound to just about everyone in the material universe, so… Her manifesting is a little less traumatic, particularly when she does so via someone like me who's so in tune with her." Hm. "Actually, given that my friend Kon-El is on excellent terms with Helios, he might-"

Coeus frowns, his eyes darting to Phoebe for a moment.

"-be able to do something similar." I frown. "I haven't asked."

Phoebe smiles curiously.

"Cousin Helios is still alive?"

I nod. "Yes. I haven't studied the titanomachy in any detail, but my understanding is that the titans who abandoned Cronus and accepted Zeus's supremacy were generally left to their own devices. And can you imagine trusting Apollo with something as important as the sun?"

Melinoë elbows me. I ignore her.

"Heck, if you want there's no particular reason why you can't visit the Earth. Very few people worship the Olympians-. Heh, I think Euanthe the Super-Dryad has more worshippers than Zeus at the moment."

Phoebe nods. "We may do that, some day. But as to why you are here?"

I nod.

"We are aware that the maltusians left some of their weapons here when they departed. We intend to make this world into a paradise, something we cannot do if ordnance left by a race of demigods could activate at any moment, at great cost to our people. We would like to request your aid in disarming or removing as much as possible, and confirming that anything left is completely inaccessible."

I nod again.

"That sounds like something I can help with, and I'd be happy to do so. Who exactly is 'we' in this context?"

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Nai, c3qo, Jaron and 174 others like this.
  15. Vaermina

Vaermina Versed in the lewd.

Paragon is really really horrible at this whole Diplomacy thing...

16. Darko

Darko Well worn.

So they're Titan Seeds.

'even be'

Ahh, yeah, you're still hiding that thing, for some reason.

'while ganking'

'ordinance left'

So I'm assuming they're either lying and want the weapons for themselves, or one of the weapons, a Sun Eater, will activate and try to do its thing.

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yes. :D I take it you've heard of him, then? And that makes it clearer that this really isn't the Coeus who fought in the Titanomachy, because that elder's rage would have been apocalyptic... So, then, who are you really?

Ah, yes, that makes much more sense. A boy raised on stories of how his parents were overthrown by their offspring, but not having lived it so any rage was second-hand at best. But that raises another question...

Oh, she isn't. Indeed, you should take that as recognition that he was mighty, that it took multiple God to bring him down.

A mere thirty years? That seems very recent. Or is there a measure of relativistic differential going on. As in, they develop slower than a human would and the lad is a couple of thousand years old... Which gives me shudders at the thought of a God spending decades as a toddler.

Sure, that's fine. But if you act at loggerheads with those goals, OL will treat you as an obstacle...

Ooh, it's a good thing they aren't dating. That'd leave him sleeping in the doghouse...

...Who wasn't busy. Well, she was in when you called. Though given the alternatives, I'm not sure any of the Olympians he's friendly with would have been any better.

Yes, that is a thing. Can we please get back on topic for this meeting, folks.

Heh, at this point, any kind of expository lecture would be better than the childish bickering... :p

Yes, the last thing you want is getting the attention of the Kindly Ones by breaking Hospitality in anger.

YEah, Fear doesn't do much to someone so soaked in Avarice.

...Seriously, how little did you know about him coming in? OR did you just send a messenger to Maltus saying 'Hey, we found some of your stuff, please come and get it before something goes bad?'

I'm guessing you simply forgot that in the heat of the moment...

Rhea in Comics and Mythology, for the record. The interesting thing is who is his father, then?

Of course, that was a foolish assumption to make. It appears she tired of it...

I see he has definite anger issues... Not the best thing for a diplomatic meeting... Which makes me wonder if the others are better or worse.

And I believe her when she says it. Even with her.. annoyance.. at OL and Coeus, I fully expect she would enjoy meeting a long-lost family member...

:confused: ...Well. That sucks. :(

Ah, you don't think he's being entirely truthful either, do you? I wonder if Rhea found her second band of children (assuming the other Titans here are her offspring as well) as rebellious as her first.

I wouldn't go annoying her by trying anything underhanded, though. She's more likely to eat you.

Well, I don't doubt Helios was impressed with his courage, if nothing else.

:eek: Why, I heard he sleeps in pig-pens after his drunken revels! Other survivors of the Titanomachy include Themis (Seen amongst the Titans of Myth in the comics,) Prometheus (Presented as a human in some comics) and Atlas (Who serves as one of the Marvel family's backers.)

Including many of the Brazlilian peoples, I bet.

Hopefully not anytime soon, for that visit, I hope... But yes, down to business...

And I picked it right. They found the maltusian factory and want the original owners to clean up after themselves, eh?

Since I doubt it's just you two. Two gods don't make a Pantheon, after all...

And there we have the reason for the call. No doubt the junior Titans aren't happy about the world they picked for a new home turning out to be some elder race's old weapons factory-slash-locker-slash-launch facility. On the upside, at least the Controllers aren't telling them to pack up and leave... Yet. Hopefully OL can prevent trouble from either side.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare I trust you know where the happy button is?

Can't forget their people seemed rather frightened.

And a god younger than Paul? Yet undisputed ruler?

Add Maltusian super weapons into the mix...yikes

Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  19. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

"An incomplete truth"? Since it seems more of a begrudging revision to his statement that an addition to it.
    Well... someone's a little peeved at the thought/threat of being put in time-out.

20. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Know what you're doing yet?

Paul is terrible at it, like absolutely terrible. Gravy is frighteningly good when he's looking for a desired outcome, not just going through the motions for the sake of appearances so he can say "oh dear diplomacy has failed, its slaughtering time"!

21. Darko

Darko Well worn.

Was recently reading a Marvel story in which the SI, who eventually becomes a god, spends centuries with his children being babies.

Seems to be a thing on Greek mythology.

First Chronus overthrows Ouranos, then Zeus overthrows Chronus, and later Zeus us prophesised to be overthrown by his own kids.

Seems overthrowing a parent is just something that'll always happen to a Greek divinity.

Whiteeyes, Cuchulin, Relyt33 and 2 others like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Well worn.

If Paul is referring to Helios being able to merge with Kon like the Ophidian can with Paul then it should be 'he might be able'.

23. Senevri

Senevri Know what you're doing yet?

Aside from the sun-eaters, from the linked material it seems New Chronus is very much into conquest and waging war. Not as a hat, mind, as a lot of the titan seeds seem like lovely people by ancient Greek standards - but that's where they're at. Might need looking into.

I would presume Paul has about zero knowledge regarding lore behind this situation, and the info package didn't include "Donna Troy gets brainwashed into thinking she's Coeuses wife". So the readers have something of a lore advantage. Then again, this is YJ version so, who knows.

Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Well worn.

It could be some random human or random alien.

Though there could also not be a father.

Diana was made using magical means in this story, so maybe Rhea also made them like that.

25. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

I know what I am saying is wrong on every level there is in existence, and there is a 100% chance that I will be wrong, but how hilarious would it be for Zeus to be the father of the new-titans and not know it because for him it was a random fling ?

Whiteeyes, Cuchulin, Relyt33 and 3 others like this.
  26. Darko

Darko Well worn.

I'm now imagining Rhea coming to him in a different form and having sex with him in order to produce children as some form of revenge.

Whiteeyes, Cuchulin, Relyt33 and 3 others like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    That's the problem with Donna having a multiple choice background in the comics. I've already picked an origin and the Si has proven it. This means that the other ones didn't happen.

28. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down

The new Titans seem reasonable and asking for something that will genuinely help their worshipers makes them seem like nice gods, but will they stay this way or go the route of most other greek gods.

29. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

"Ordnance" was the correct term. Ordnance is "military supplies including weapons, ammunition, combat vehicles, and maintenance tools and equipment," whereas an ordinance is a law or decree.

30. rdfox

rdfox Getting sticky.

Easiest way to remember is to remember that an ordinance is something that a government has ordained its subjects follow, and the spelling is basically a corruption of "ordainance," i.e., something that someone has ordained.

Sadly, I don't have a snappy way to remember about ordnance, other than it's not a law or other pronouncement of the ruling authority...

Whiteeyes likes this.