1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I like this, quite a lot.

... yeah, this is pretty consistent with how aliens are depicted in DC (and other superhero settings).

2. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, but making everyone just is actually really simple. Just mind control them / burn an absolute code of honor into their belief systems. The ring can obviously do that. It can brand honor into people.
    However, there are consequences, which is what Paul is trying to teach.

3. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

In normal, every-day conversation, "Anything" does not typically mean absolutely every single possible thing, just a very wide or unhindered range of things.

And it's a power ring, it can do a damned lot, and a damned lot more if you know what, specifically, you need to want.

4. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Also, Paul’s probably right, in that with an unlimited amount of desire, and clever application, a power ring could probably literally do anything. E.G. scan the entire universe, calculate what needs to possibly be done to achieve a given goal, sneakily rewrite destiny’s book by moving the ink around on the page (since it seems to be a physical substance), take a 5th dimensional being’s power, mind control a god by physically rewriting their brains through brain surgery / rearrangement of neurons (even if normal brainwashing doesn’t work, a power ring could probably do this through branding a god, and forcing them to not resist wanting things by affecting their brain chemistry beforehand), etc...

Not sure how many of these ideas actually work, but a lot of them would make power rings too powerful if they had enough energy.

Navi-Hank, Ardy, Finerc and 2 others like this.
  5. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

On another tack, I'm still not really a fan of how the stuff with Xor has played out. But that's mostly because I think he should have been convicted and that the self-defense argument just wouldn't have been applicable for him.

So him already being out and about and an Orange Lantern rankles me.

6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I imagine that he was let off because so much evidence of Hardcastle messing up was found by the Justice League. Xor is probably still not liked by anyone on Earth, it's just that they can't legally prosecute Xor because of... I'm gonna go with extenuating circumstances.

7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Your opinion is shared by a great many people in US 16.
    No, they did prosecute him. The defence won, largely on the grounds that 1) the original police attack on him was illegal and 2) he only attacked people who attacked him first.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

There's no way short of the prosecutor purposefully throwing the case in tandem with the judge being corrupt that the police attack would have been considered illegal.

See, you're forgetting that Xor wasn't in the country legally and that most superpowers are classed as deadly weapons.

9. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

"Lets set a legal precedent for superpowers being considered lethal weapons, i'm sure nothing bad will happen!"
    - A judge who just set the world on a course for a Days of Future Past-style dystopian future.

10. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeeeah...the odds of that happening in an American courtroom are slim as all hell. Between giving a warning, and "feeling" our lives were in danger. They'd be completely covered.

Not sure how it works on your side of the pond. I mean over here, cops have burst into the wrong house after improperly executing a search warrant and they still didn't even get a slap on the wrist.

Hell, I've never even HEARD of an "illegal" police attack. Excessive force, sure, but straight up illegal?

11. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

I think the first should be changed to "There is a fire in the house." otherwise the second doesn't make sense.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Still got six years before I can talk about the obvious case here, but US 16 has a wrinkle real police don't have to worry about. Superheroes might break into places all the time but they don't shoot people. One or two incidents of well-respected superheroes publically stating that they were withdrawing their support from police forces they thought were getting a bit trigger happy resulted in the guidelines concerning the application of force getting tightened up.

Edit: And as mentioned in the original confrontation, Idaho versus Weaver.
    No, I think it's reasonable to assume that a house on fire has fire in it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  13. Sad Machine

Sad Machine Unshackled Unclaimed

Anyone else getting pissed that evrey schmuch in the galaxy seems to have a way to no sell lantern rings, like....really?

14. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Ah, but in some countries pillows are, and possibly fists in others. You can demonstrate fists can be lethal weapons for non-super powered people, and say he was using fists, therefore using lethal weapons.

Navi-Hank and Vaermina like this.
  15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given we know that people used their superpowers to kill that precedent is already set.

Contrary to forum fanon, Lantern Rings aren't really that big of a thing...

And I include the non-canon extra versatile less emotionally corrupting AI can handle everything Zoat version of Lantern Rings in that statement.

The only real exception to that are White Rings, which are less Lantern Rings and more reality alteration devices.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  16. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

gutter fires, roof fires.

think its pedantic, but i know multiple people for whom house insurance said did not count, despite smoke damage.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  17. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Fair enough.

I suppose with Supers running around, things would simply have to be different.

Mmm...yeah, have been for a while. I've just come to accept that OL's ring is incredibly weak. I'm honestly surprised when he actually defeats a villain with the ring, rather then some other gadget or someone else doing it for him. A long time ago I brought up the fact that OL's bullets seem to be more powerful than any construct he can cook up.

Hell, I don't even think he bothers using constructs much at all anymore. Pity, I rather liked his 4 corners sonic attack from, well damn, his first real fight.

But after his curbstomping and murder at the hands of the Angel of War (and his utter lack of reaction to what happened) I have little to no confidence in OL during a fight.

Other then, you know, canonically stated to be the most powerful weapon in the universe, with NO known upper limit. I mean...

Energy Conduit

Energy Projection

Force Fields

Energy Construct Creation

Superhuman Strength: with either a force field or construct.

Phasing

Environmental Playback

Invisibility and Light Refraction

Energy Twin

Energy Absorption

Flight

Wormholes and Spacial Warps

Time Travel

Limited Cellular Regeneration

Electromagnetic Scanning

Galactic Encyclopedia

Universal Translator

Material Alteration

Ring Duplication

Emergency Beacon

Homing Beacon

Mind Alteration

Pocket Dimension

Preset Conditions: Commands can be stored in the ring to be executed at a later date even if the bearer is not wearing the ring.

Resurrection

Thought Relay

What utter pieces of trash right? I mean, what with their stated ability to do, and I QUOTE, ahem..."ANYTHING" their wearer can think of, and has the Emotion to power.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

They are known as the most versatile tool, not the most powerful weapon.

That's the power battery not the power ring.

Not as powerful as assumed because it relies solely on the mind of the wielder.

Only Blue rings.

No, they can't.

They allow access to already existent wormholes and spacial warps, they don't allow you to create them.

Not actually a thing power rings themselves are shown able to do.

Only White rings.

19. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

you sure it wasn't a golden age thing?

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yup, that was just some guy on the Wiki taking the fact the rings generate uniforms to mean they can alter matter.

Which was rather ignoring that the uniform is just a construct generated by said ring, hence it disappearing when the ring looses power.

21. Threadmarks: Ways and Means (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

24th January
    11:17 GMT

The ship's crew are hunkering down, good. Xor will be here in seconds-.

The figure extends both hands towards me, shifting in space without apparent propulsion. I evade-. Ring, what am I fighting and what is it firing at me?

Unable to analyse.

Great, space magic, now? I didn't think that was possible, but if-.

No. Passive glow disruption.

Qwardians? Some other Maltusian faction? Pain in the arse, but okay. Make a construct sensor and scan.

Compliance.

"wRaH!"

My opponent waves his arms and I spot the stars behind him skip-. I raise construct armour as the disruption wave passes over me-. Ah! Whatever that attack was, it bypassed my construct armour and my regular armour. And if my environmental shield hadn't soaked it I might well have died.

"Did I win y-?"

I generate two laser constructs and shoot him in the eyes, maintaining the beams as I recreate the sensor-

"Gah!"

-construct and try and work out what I'm seeing. Damage pattern matches… Ahhhh. Closest match is a.. martian using molecular destabilisation. Can't be a.. martian, he's not using telepathy, but there's no inherent reason why someone else with telekinesis and shapeshifting couldn't do it as well...

He gestures and my laser constructs are shredded. Since they seem to be keeping him distracted, reform them and keep firing.

Compliance.

"Lantern Xor, recover the crew and defend them."

"I obey."

There's a faint orange glow as Xor cuts his way through the hull on the far side of the ship. His service history included enough sweep-and-clears that I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Random bullshit powers suggests human. Ring?

Subject is speaking American English.

I think some Ungarans speak English, but the language hasn't travelled all that much off Earth. So if I assume he's a metahuman whose powers allow him to fly in space… He should know me by sight, shouldn't he?

"Earth law doesn't-."

A.. burning wall appears between us, growing as my lasers attempt to move around it to maintain fire on his eyes. What? How is-? I mean, yes, a martian could move chunks of their body into a novel arrangement and create a controlled destabilisation of its molecular structure, but it wouldn't just be… Suddenly wall. That's a construct-like effect. Ring, are you sure there's no power ring in operation here?

No evidence of power ring activity.

I.. think there's a certain amount of circumstantial evidence.

Numerous technologies exist which can-.

Yes, I know.

I dismiss the lasers and pull back slightly, ring scan showing me as Xor leaves the ship with the crew in tow. Protecting the crew is the most important thing, and now that they're safe I can try-.

A beam of vacuum-proof fire blasts past me as whoever this is switches from a solid wall to a shifting series of plates. As with a Lantern, there's a thin line of fire between his body and each plate. But he's missing his shots. No guidance or AI? If he's a general telekinetic, I'm the only object here… He should just be able to feel me, even if he can't exert enough force on me to disable me. Does he not.. know that? Has he only recently manifested his powers? If so he's doing well but-

I generate a psi-shock grenade and fire it at his shields.

-I'm still confident of my ability to take him in alive. I should probably visit-

"Uh-Ughh-h!"

-Ungara at some point anyway.

Ah. A Lantern's constructs would have collapsed after getting hit with a psi-shock grenade. His have remained in place, but they've stopped moving and from what I can make out the man himself appears to have stopped moving with them. Railgun, crumbler rounds set for premature detonation, fire at the thinnest layer of barriers… Make a hole, send bands of orange light through the gap and grab him before he can recover. Okay, his mouth is exposed to space so gassing him isn't an option, but the neural inhibitor I used on Larfleeze is perfectly viable. That will stop him forming coherent thoughts while I get a better look at his brain. The brains of human telepaths tend to have certain features in common, and I'll be far happier about this if I can suppress his unusual abilities without suppressing his entire mind.

What am I..? Looking at? I mean, it looks… Kind of human. I definitely recognise some of the neural architecture. But every.. part has been alt-. That looks martian, it's even shapeshifting sl-.

His eyes focus and phase!

Ah-!

Burning whatever-this-is sears off most of my chest plate and face plate and.. some of my actual face, but now that the phase shift is active it's just passing through me. I warp back, getting out of the way as much as I can before phasing back in and starting repairs.

"Who did that to you?"

"Fuck you! What the fuck were you doing to me!?"

"Trying to work out how to safely defuse you. That looked-" He flings a fiery net at me, and I shoot a hole through it with crumbler rounds. "-martian. Did someone alter your brain?"

"Yeah! And it feels great!"

"Who did it? Why did you attack this ship?"

"Call themselves the Controllers!" What. "And apparently the people who own it did something to piss them off, I don't know."

Ring, send scans to Controller Hinon and ask her what the heck is going on.

Compliance.

"I report to Controller Hinon. And no one mentioned you."

"I didn't even know they had names. And yeah, I know you work for 'em."

"Then would you care to explain-?"

"You shot me! And you're trying to steal my kills!"

"I shot you because you were continuing to attack the ship. And I'm not trying to steal your kills. I'm trying to prevent you killing them."

"Why?"

"What do you mean, why? Because, firstly, I'm assigned to this Sector, and that means best practice. If I want to take someone in, I make every effort to peacefully detain them, and then hand them over to the relevant authorities. I certainly don't grab a random merchant vessel-."

"They're pirates."

"Have they been convicted in a court?"

"The fuck is your problem?" He sounds genuinely mystified.

"That ship has no guns, minimal shields and minimal armour. It isn't a threat. You could easily have disabled it and taken the crew captive."

"Pi-rates." He half-turns. "Where did they g-?"

"Controller Hinon is on Earth. Come with me and we'll both find out what's going on."

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  22. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Hm.

Interesting. I wonder what manner of evil plot is going on here.

23. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Yeah... giving powers to someone at random and hope that makes them loyal to you rarely works out unless you can xut out their powers out anytime you want.

24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Xor needs to learn advanced movement techniques, that delay could be fatal.

Oooh, nasty.

This ain't a game, kid.

Mean move, nice.

Interesting. A subconscious system to maintain created objects?

And once OL has time to focus and think, the fight is done. Nice.

That looks martian, it's even shapeshifting sl-.

Seeing a double space here, at least in the reply box. Could be a non-displaying character?

Chock full of rage. If not for the Wiki link last chapter, I would have thought Rankorr, from the Red Lanterns (post flashpoint, admittedly.)

Pysiological stimulus via endorphin release to encourage power use? Insidious.

"Called themselves the Controllers!"

Damn straight what.

So he was remotely aimed? Oh this just gets better and better.

Seriously, what does he think this is, Call of Duty?

Because unlike you, kid, he's not a psychopath, artificial or otherwise. (well, outside of Orange Enlightenment.)

"That ship has no guns, minimal shields and minimal armour.

You could easily have disabled it and taken the crew captive."

No sensory enhancements? sounds like someone tried to make a cheap knockoff of a lantern.

And then Hinon experiences enough Rage to qualify her for a red ring...

Seriously, someone's ass is getting handed to them for this. If not FED to them...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  25. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

This... Could be someone besides Martin van Wyck. The Malthusian ship with the burner, and rise of the OLC, might lead to an experimentation with more of an end goal besides 'let' s see what happens'.

Prince Charon likes this.
  26. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

A group of Controllers decided that inefficiently being evil is the best way to SCIENCE!

I'm gonna call them Cauldron until we get an official name. :D

27. Prosecutor-0

Prosecutor-0 Getting out there.

Typo - "are you sure..."

Silveraith likes this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, he skipped the 'they' because his speech is informal.
    Rankorr is a stupid character and I will never use him.

29. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Remember, it was mentioned that Time Trapper was a Controller.

CTrees and BR549 like this.
  30. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

On a scale of 1 to 'retconning Ysmault to Sector 2814', how stupid is he?