1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

It was a golden age thing, and silver age thing, and every other age thing.

Here's a comicvine hal jordan feats page with multiple pages of Hal very obviously altering matter.

Like turning nuclear missiles into snow, himself into a robot, himself into an insect, creating water out of hydrogen and oxygen, water back into human flesh, creating a swarm of animated wooden insects to attack Alan Scott, and transforming energy into confetti streamers.

Kyle made kryptonite to fight Superman, and warned the Justice League that a power ring can split atoms.

Arisia made herself age to adulthood. Three members of the idiot lantern corps altered their flesh to give themselves superhuman strength and durability.

So this rule that power rings can't alter matter? That would pretty much be news to every green lantern writer in the history of time.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Oh, please. Moving Ysmault is merely daft, not critically stupid. The Empire of Tears was stated to cover three galaxies, so while having Ysmault near the Empire's core would have made sense it wasn't really required.

Rankorr is called Rankorr why? He can create constructs because? His head is on fire why?

Lanterns use empathic weapons. Each type is an opportunity to say something about thier relationship with that Lantern's emotions. If his ring use works in a particular way then there should be a reason for it based on his emotional makeup.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Drode, Bramble Thorn, BR549 and 16 others like this.
  3. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Easy - ( joking fan theory, don’t take it seriously) -he was being controlled by an alien symbiote (maybe an anger elemental?) disguised as his hair. It basically did nothing and let him live his life beforehand, maybe altering his memories / emotional state. Maybe it fed on his anger or something. His hair is the red lantern, he is not actually considered to be wearing the ring, his hair is, and is simply wearing what amounts to a uniform. His mind is unaltered because his hair’s mind is, but it now lacks control over him. His name is actually the name of the parasite, which got confused in his head after it lost control of him.

DrThoth likes this.
  4. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Going by the rules this story uses, having really good telekinesis would be the ultimate swiss-army-knife of powers.
    Aside from moving shit, Martians can use it to phase, and star conquerors can use it for FTL and forcefields.
    Effects like heating, cooling, and sound are all motion based effects, so there's no reason some form of TK couldn't do those too.

Kryptonians essentially do a sort of self-TK with their pseudo-gravity power thing, and WOZ is that freeze breath is done by using it to internally stop molecular motion.
    Heat vision is said to be actual light-based energy projection, but having it be finely focused pseudo-gravity beams jiggling molecules would be more consistent with how all their other powers work.

So, if you can produce either TK, or the Kryptonian pseudo-gravity thing, you can duplicate a lot of the basic abilities of a power ring. OL has the plans for stuff like the thinking cap and kinetic belt, plus detailed scans of Martian physiology, so in theory he should be able to build such abilities into his power armor.

5. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

OH MY GOD I JUST FELL OFF MY CHAIR LAUGHING IRL

in all seriousness zoat, BEST comedic timing/wording ive seen this year so far XD

blast therapy?

DAT_NOOB, Ardy, DrThoth and 1 other person like this.
  6. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Yeah, but not from a purely syllogistic point of view; which is what your first statement was getting at to justify the later response.

The house being on a fire could infer (especially when it is being translated by power ring) that there is no fire in the house but that it will eventually consume the house.

*Shrug*

Are.

Bramble Thorn and Mr Zoat like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  8. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wrong again Vaermina.

Power rings being the most powerful weapon in the universe is STRAIGHT from DC canon. So it doesn't matter what you say, and in this case as the initial topic was about outside the WTR universe, it doesn't even matter what Zoat says.

Also, all those abilities I listed? Not only can you find them listed on the official DC CANON wiki. I got them straight from an official, printed handbook published by DC.

So, I'm using official information handed down from DC comics themselves. What are you basing your argument on?

9. Prosecutor-0

Prosecutor-0 Getting out there.

Hmm, pointed it out previously in post #4347, guess you missed it.

Silveraith likes this.
  10. Maxx Crowley

Yes I am, and...well Stsword already answered for me.

He's kinda cute though.

Why thank you Stsword. Even if it wasn't your intent, I appreciate the back up, and now I don't have to explain.

Prince Charon likes this.
  11. Stsword

That seemed like an appropriate moment to butt in from the peanut gallery.

Maxx Crowley likes this.
  12. earlyriser

earlyriser Getting sticky.

So thinking about Common Sense Paul, while he seems to be going along some of the Paragon's path there have been a couple of butterflies:
    By removing the drugged lipstick from Jade he doesn't attack her and then feel bad afterwards, so no visiting Jade in Prison and redemption arc.
    Common Sense Paul was also tutored by Jordan, not Gardner so he may not be making any efforts towards redeeming villians like the Berefords and Abra Kadabra at all.
    The exercise happened without problems so no Ophidian, no enhancile Robin or Artemis...
    The light might have less information on OL because of this (might have no info if the Taipei meeting didn't happen).
    I look forward to how he deals with the upcoming Nabu situation, although common sense tells me he'll just stick the helmet on one of Klarion's helpers :).

Chaoswind, Cuchulin and Citizen like this.
  13. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

See? Obviously common sense causes more problems than it solves.

earlyriser likes this.
  14. Mr Zoat

No XP for non-combat solutions.
    Common Sense shot Teekl dead. Klarion vanished from the Earth because he had no time to anchor himself.

15. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Generally speaking that's a sign of a poorly designed/ran game. You should ALWAYS get XP for overcoming obstacles, whether you do so violently or not.

Didn't Grayven kill Teekl also? And he still had to deal with the Nabu situation when Klarion found himself a new anchor.

Drode and Bramble Thorn like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

He did, but he dicked about first.
    Common Sense would probably go the coma patient route.

17. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

How so? It happened offscreen but from his narration it seemed like Grayven went after it pretty immediately when he got the chance, which would fit his MO.
    Klarion vanishing puts the Light in a pretty tough spot in terms of firepower, something that’s still important even/especially with being a cadre of planner-type villains. Is Kent Nelson still alive and did Common Sense actually do the coma patient route?
    Also I assume he didn’t accidentally ‘kill’ Clayface and thus destroy the League of Shadows to feel better- did he instead just record everything like in Paragon and just hand it over to Batman?
    One thing I suppose he’ll never do is interact with John Constantine, which sucks for a lot of people, though I’m mainly thinking of Euanthe. A semi-related question I did have was how would the Black Dog/Beast situation have been resolved if either SI hadn’t been involved? Playing it out like it seemed to happen in Hellblazer continuity seems like it wouldn’t really make sense with canon YJ season 2. Then again Roanoake shows the setting does have implied apocalypses so I suppose it wouldn’t be the most implausible scenario (this might also have been addressed in comments when that storyline was going on but I was just reading Story Only then).

Drode, Cuchulin and SpiritualSlacker like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

I appreciate your confidence in me, but I really haven't thought about it in that sort of detail.

Grayven stamped on Teekl. Common Sense just shot her with a positron ray. Kent died, but a while later.

Clayface got mostly baked, the small amount of animated clay remaining being easily contained.

19. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

Btw, that brings me to something I’d like to discuss: was Nelson’s treatment of Nabu really okay, ethically speaking? I mean, I’m not trying to say that #Nabudidnothingwrong or anything - Kent Nelson describes him as having grown “more and more demanding”, which in my mind rings all kinds of alarm bells, and even if Nabu being forcibly out of commission for several years would be wrong, it still wouldn’t justify his actions at Roanoke - but think about it: he was essentially imprisoned, for several decades, by the one person who he could consider his friend and partner (if indeed he ever held these feelings toward anyone), at a time when the world started changing so rapidly that it would indeed be easy to mistake it for falling to Chaos faster than ever before.

Maybe it’s because I’ve recently read Life Ore Death, which portrays him as slightly more sympathetic, but I feel as if Nelson could’ve handled that a bit more delicately.

Drode, Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Basically, Nabu made himself a helmet. It might be nice for people to wear him sometimes, but no one is under any sort of obligation to help undo something he did to himself. Every time someone puts him on they're doing him a favour. And he kept being a dick about it, and guess what? No one wanted to put him on any more. Friends don't use friends as old coats.

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You might want to read the comic pages themselves instead of the description...

The missiles were turned into "snow" by blasting them into ash, he disguised himself as a robot with a construct, he didn't create water just a construct facsimile, the insect was a construct Hal used to talk to plastic man and on and on.

Also Alan Scott was using the Starheart which has different rules because it's magic.

You know what... Because you're so insistent I am sure you can provide the comic panel where it's actually called that by a guardian.

22. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

I agree about the "being a dick"-part, and this is feeling more and more as if I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but one could still make the argument that Nabu turning himself into a helmet didn't come from him really wanting to be a helmet, but from a desire to fullfill his duty - protecting the world from the agents of chaos - beyond his death. Something that could be considered a noble sentiment.
    But does he deserve any consideration for that?

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. Mr Zoat

If the world han't been fine without him for thousands of years, yes. If he actually stopped high-level chaos magicians like Klarion, yes. If there were multiple Klarion-level magicians around and he was desperately needed, maybe. As it is? No.

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

There normally were multiple Klarion level magicians and other similar magical threats around.

You just wrote them out...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    RagnarokAscendant likes this.
  25. Maxx Crowley

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  26. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, Right or wrong Nabu brought being stuck on a shelf on him self and the world survived just fine with out him for thousands of years. I mean MAYBE he could have prevented the Bronze age collapse and the fall of Rome or at least made the two dark ages that followed those events less dark, but still the world kept turning and Western civilization "came back" bigger/better than before eventually.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You know that pretty much everything in blue on that page was proven false, right?

28. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

A thought occurs.

This guy says that the people who gave him powers said they were Controllers.

It sounds a lot more like the Reach, though. Perhaps they lied about who they were?

29. Maxx Crowley

You know that I knew that, no matter what panel I was able to track down and post, you were going to try and dismiss it because you're some type of raging asshole who insists that they know everything about everything no matter what right?

You asked for a panel, I gave you two. One posted, one linked.

Oh here is another one. Nah...this doesn't count either. [​IMG]
    And, I mean, Pretty sure Superman wins this, so you can't believe him either. Superdickery is all.

[​IMG]

30. Stsword

And my advice to you is that when you dig yourself into a hole, stop digging.

He turned nuclear missiles into "green snow." Disintegrating metal does not create green snow. So nope.

I didn't refer to him disguise himself as a robot, I referred to him turning himself into a robot. Which is on that page, which you would have noticed. You know, if you had actually bothered to read better.

Unless you think constructs are made out of hydrogen and oxygen, then Hal combining hydrogen and oxygen created water. "I'll have my ring synthesize hydrogen and oxygen." And the water he created was blue, by the by.

And yes, the fact that Alan operated under different rules is the exact reason why Hal made a swarm of animated wooden insects, because Alan couldn't affect wood. Which doesn't change the fact that Hal made an animated swarm of wooden insects to attack Alan.

Unless you somehow horribly botched your reading comprehension roll and assumed that Alan created wooden insects to attack himself, because his ring can't affect wood, because that is very nonsensical.