1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

For the whole durability thing, I'm fairly sure that the Danner formula should provide enough of a boost that the issue would be of little concern. That opens up a great deal more options.

As for the whole thing with Kara being under an outside mental influence, we've seen something like it happen at least twice before. Once with Zatana and the combination of the star sapphire and the dragon's greed spell, and again with Paul and the demon magic in his soul. Both times led to emotional trauma and actions that all participants would have wished had never happened.

Now this situation is happening to Kara, and it's safe to assume that the same problems will pop up again if the issue is not handled quickly. Paul should know this, and he should be working to fix the issue, because he's a good person who doesn't want to let his friend cause unintentional harm to herself for reasons beyond her own control. So far, Paul seems to be treating the situation as an opportunity for study, which I guess can be forgiven due to this being a delicate situation that requires caution.

But the point where consequences are beginning to appear has been reached, and I'll kind of be disappointed if Paul continues approaching the problem as something to be studied and understood rather than something to be solved as quickly as possible. I think the worst option he can make is to decline and ask her about her feelings. He needs an opportunity to grab the crystal, and that approach will not give him one.

2. The Chosen One

The Chosen One Getting out there.

I think Nanaue is tougher than Waylon Jones, if he exists in this continuity (we've only met the other King Sha'ark)

If we're counting Lanterns, The Calculator may also have hard light constructs (though he's only appeared in his capacity as an information broker so far)

There's also Brick, Plastic Man, Elongated Man, Metamorpho, Canis...probably a few other New Gods and Demigods around, actually.

3. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Am I miss remembering something or did Paul get hit on by one of Megan's siblings when he was on Mars.o_O

Caerwen and Xmaster3000 like this.
  4. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

..... TIME TO GO TO TEH NSFW OTHER THREAD!

5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

6. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

I laughed so hard that my throat is hurting right now.

7. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

He might be able to get her to agree if he presents what he wants as terms and conditions on when he fucks her.
    Condition 1 any sex happens after she's come down from kryptonite exposure, because he doesn't want to hurt her, and would feel like he was if he had sex with her while she wasn't in her right mind.
    Condition 2 talk jade into going along with it. He might be willing to use his empathic understanding of people to give advice on how to do so, but he'd request that any conversation wait until after she's off of kryptonite, because he's worried that in her present state of mind she'd get frustrated and resort to threatening Jade.

Jade has seemed oddly unthreatened by other women approaching Paul, but it's hard to tell exactly why, and whether there are conditions where she would be fine with another woman actually getting somewhere, or whether it's because she knew other women weren't going to get anywhere.

Edit:alternatively stall and distract, either approach to touch or run a filament underground, put an environmental shield around Kara, and subspace the rock from where it contacts her environmental shield

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  8. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I'll just periodically remind you whenever an eros interrupt moment arises in the story, shall I?

9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

A quote from Terry Pratchet that Paul should remember.

“It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going round to atheists' houses and smashing their windows.”

Paragon's so broken in the brain that there's no way Jade doesn't know there's absolutely no risk of other women getting anywhere with him so long as he's together with her.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  10. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Because she knows that anything short of "I want you to fuck me" is gonna go over his head and he won't notice.

11. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

It may be making her something like 'Kara Zor-El's personal definition of evil.'

The main problem is that Paul is a utilitarian to the point that his thinking was somewhat alien to most of us reading this before he got WANT Enlightenment. Everyone (whose vocabulary includes anything close enough) defines 'evil' in their own way, whether they believe in it or not (just as early-series Wally could have a definition of 'magic' without believing in it), and Paul's definition may be rather esoteric to the rest of us.

12. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Wasn't his whole excuse for xenociding the psions that they are an irredeemably evil race?

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He didn't do it, though he was fine with the Psions being exterminated since they were mad scientists. Though he probably would've saved the test subjects and maybe their young, as what happened in the Renegade timeline.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Also he would have gotten his Lanrerns involved so they can get some experience fighting a technologically advanced foe.

15. Threadmarks: Future Tense (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

13th September 2012
    09:43 GMT -5

I frown, and since my helmet isn't designed to block exotic kryptonian visual modes she can probably see it.

"I'm curious as to 'why'."

"Oh, so many reasons. I think part of being blind to social conventions is that I'm more liberated about following through on my desires."

"Not necessarily. You also need confidence, otherwise you end up just finding social situations intimid-."

"Don’t care." She takes a step close-. No, she struts a step closer. "I also want to own you."

"That sounds pretty evil."

"She likes you. She… Me, when I'm not using black kryptonite. You're safe, you're nice to her, you help her without asking for anything… She feels safe with you. It's all very primal." She shakes her head. "I don't think you learned anything from Zatanna at all."

"If I was supposed to learn not to be nice to girls, then no, I didn't."

"And if Jade… Win? Was on Earth right now I'd just go and kill her-"

"I'd rather that you didn't."

"-but she's hardly ever around. Which is ridiculous."

"She's doing good work."

"Villain or hero, she's being a weapon for other people. You went on about how happy you were that she changed, but she hasn't changed at all."

That… Sounds a little more plausible than I'm comfortable hearing. But she wanted something that was at least a little familiar. I'm going to need to talk to her about that.

"But why would evil you want to have sex with me?"

"Because I'll be forcing you to betray her, but you'll do it because there's no other way to make me drop this." She holds up the kryptonite and wiggles it at me. "It's the only way to make sure that precious little Kara Zor-El is safe. And everyone else I could kill."

"Okay, clearly Kara's been focusing on me in a way that's not entirely healthy and needs to meet more people."

"And Jade will split up with you because she can't cope with people betraying her trust, even for a good cause. And even if she agrees with your decision she'll never feel the same way again and because you're an empath you'll know, so that's the end of that relationship. And Kara will feel so bad about what I did that she'll try avoiding you, which will make you spend more time with her to try and make her understand-"

She pantomimes an expression of concern and remorse.

"-that it wasn't her fault at all. And that will bring the two of you together and then I can finally do what my dad wanted and get out of this primitive backwater."

"So you are unhappy here? Because I'm perfectly happy to move you somewhere."

"But that would make Kal unhappy, and she'd feel guilty." Kara rolls her eyes. "How long does it take for this to become permanent?"

"I don't know. I haven't experimented."

Just holding the crystal isn't anything like as intense as a laser, but she's got a point. With gold kryptonite there's a point where it kills all of the photoreceptive organelles. With green, there isn't an equivalent point… As far as I know. That sort of exposure would just be fatal to the kryptonian suffering from it.

"I don't mind if you want to wait. Frankly, I think I'd do a better job of being me than she would."

"Given that you're… For the sake of discussion let's say 'evil', how will I know that you'll follow through?"

"How will I hold onto it when both of my hands are busy?" Her eyes flick over my armour. "You're still wearing.. clothes."

"I'm sort of hoping that New Kara is going to hear us."

"I don't think that's going to happen. This section has a separate environmental filter and sound dampening system. She could probably hear if she made an effort, but I think she'd stop trying if she heard me talking about fucking you."

"Okay, how about you put the kryptonite in a lead-lined box and I talk to you about this when you're in your right-."

"EEEEEh. Wrong answer." Her eyes flick around our surroundings. "I'm going to count to five, and then I'm going to start killing people. One."

I scan the black kryptonite, isolating its vibrational frequency and form a small sonic cannon constru-.

Kara's eyes flash red as she destroys my construct.

"My senses aren't quite as good as 'New' Kara's, but I can still spot things like that. Two."

I bend the frequencies of the light around us, creating a wave of gold kryptonite radiation. Kara's eyes go out, and I start forming another sonic cannon construct.

"Kara, I need-"

Kara blurs, and my construct's gone again.

"Did you think you were the only one who noticed Dana's 'lucky' coin collection? That's three, by the way."

Okay… Filament through the floor. No immediate reaction. An environmental shield should be able to block kryptonite radiation immediately, but that won't do anything for what she's already soaked up. And I can't remember whether gold kryptonite exposure renders kryptonians immune to other colours of kryptonite. Brief exposure… Probably wouldn't, because the organelles are still there. Higher levels of exposure should grant immunity, but I don't know if I can actually inflict that on her before she can get away. Or how fast her behaviour would revert.

"What did you do to her?"

"I ripped them out of her clothes, knocked her out and stuck her in a storage crate."

"Restrained of you."

"She's a hostage. You don't know anyone around here, but if I make it clear that I'm going to kill her first then that gives you a personal investment. You always said that you care more about the people you know-." She frowns quizzically. "Would it work if I held myself hostage? How much do you care about Kara?"

"Kara is a friend of mine."

"Four." She widen her eyes and smiles. "Oh, hey, I just thought of something. How hot would it be if this wore off half way through, and she woke up with you inside her?"

"You're not selling me on the idea."

"I don't care what you think; you're a means to an end. Oh, and the spots on Kryptonian women are in just about the same place as on human women and that's five. Is that armour coming off, or do I start crushing skulls with my bare hands?" Her face takes on an air of curiosity. "I wonder what brain feels like it oozes through fingers?"

Okay. Construct up, tag the underside of her foot and block kryptonite radiation.

She doesn't react, but she doesn't look dissuaded either. Taking off my armour should buy a little more time, and it's not like it would stop kryptonian-strength hits anyway. I send my helmet back into subspace.

Kara puts her right forefinger into her mouth.

"Shoulda brought some music-."

"Step away, deviant."

Kara turns as Noriel floats back in, her flames billowing.

"Oh. You. It's such a shame this doesn't affect you. I'd have much more fun with Linda."

Kara lunges at Noriel, fists outstretched!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  16. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Yes, because that's the girl you want near black kryptonite.

17. Kalem_Lee

Kalem_Lee Well worn.

Paul's virtue is saved for another day.

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

At least we now know that being turned evil by black kryptonite doesn't make her stupid. That was a very well thought out plan considering she only had a few minutes to think it up. Maybe Kara and Zatanna can talk about their complicated relationship with Paul after this.

19. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

I forget, did you retcon Brand taking time to work? I know it doesn't need a construct only Paul's need should be enough.

Because "Brand" which Kara has never seen you do followed by asking to to drop the Black Kr should have been all you need. Instead we have more stupidity where after releasing the demon Kara everyone but you should have been removed from the fucking building. I'm sorry but at this point Paul should just fucking know better.

20. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier.

Giant teenage girl spider.

21. Gazing Eye

Gazing Eye Compound, Lidless, Always Watching.

... I kinda like her better this way :p

22. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

That was genuinely some excellent "I am acting out of malice and destructive impulses but I am not an idiot." writing.

23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think she knows about Paul's branding ability. The problem is probably the fact that Kara is most likely fast enough to dodge it if Paul tried to brand her.

24. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I'm betting Nylor is gonna use this as a distraction and escapes... again.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  25. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

What if he faked going in for an embrace, then applied it to the small of her back just before lips could make contact?

26. ohA

ohA Getting out there.

Cripes, Paul did not follow the implication of his offer being "what if we got rid of your current inconvenient personality and replaced you back with someone you consider a pushover, then I'm willing to discuss having sex with you".

At least acknowledge the lead box as something that she thinks has costs, offer to taper the dose while monitoring if she considers herself still in her "right" mind maybe.

27. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

Paul already had a thread connected to her foot from under the floor so no. Second Paul hasn't Branded anyone in front of her so likely not, but as soon as he connected it wouldn't have mattered. Also looking back Branding is instant, it's turning people into constructs that takes time.

28. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Is "You safe" deliberate? If not then maybe "You are safe" or "You're safe".

29. Cherico

Cherico Connoisseur.

honestly either Kara or Zatana would be a better choice.

Between work and personal lives and their issues the Jade relatioship just isn't workable.

30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Maybe Jade could break up with him after realizing this herself. Paul doesn't seem to want to break up with her, so that would be the only way it could happen.