1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

'Any technology' would require it to be magic. If it's just automatically hacking everything, that's simpler but it wouldn't do anything to power rings.

2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

In story, Paul was unable to see Mister Terrific when the latter snuck up on him. Was that tech or magic?

Edit: Never mind. I misremembered the fight. He teleported his T-Spheres to Paul's location, and it was a hologram that appeared before Paul.

3. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Are we about to get a timeskip?

4. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

The Reach can build nonmagical weapons that can kill gods. It's possible that he's built a device that works on some conceptual level, manipulates the Cosmic Superstructure to censor itself from observation, or uses some sort of passive technopathy field to censor the readings of amy device that detects him.

That last is probably the most plausible, since his T-Spheres are thought-controlled, so artificial technopathy devices are definitely something he's capable of.

5. Mr Zoat

You can see Mr. Terrific by looking at him. And he was disinterested in magic prior to becoming a superhero. So either something took a liking to him without him noticing, or it's something less significant.

6. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I've heard all super-science in DC was explained by the phenomenon as the "Meta-Scientist" They are scientists that unconsciously bend the laws of physics and reality around them so anything they make or do can work despite being impossible by all known laws of science. Only so many people at a time are Meta-Scientists and all of them believe everything they do is normal because part of how their abilities work is they have to believe whatever tech they make works the way it does despite not making sense to the rest of the world. It's an interesting theory though not widely used in comics.

7. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Eyeballs aren't "technology". A robot wouldn't be able to see him, for instance. I don't think someone wearing night-vision goggles could, either.

Also, psychic powers are different to magic in DC. The former are powered by the Collective Unconscious, the latter are powered by the Godsphere.

8. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

How about if we assume Mr Terrific disassembled some of his equipment in order to build more T-drones and upgrade them for magitech? So right now he isn’t “immune to detection by scrying,” but he could be in the future. Once he has sufficient time and resources.

I feel a bit bad for Overman and Superman (moreso the former). They didn’t get to give Demon-Superman a fair fight. By the end they were giving super speed blows to the head of someone quite frazzled, y’know?

I wonder now not-Supergirl Kara might react to this news about Demon Superman. Well, she already knows about Nazi Superman… Ah well, probably not going to come up.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  9. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

I see even DC isn't free of Worm infections.

10. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Not used at all in the comics that I can recall.

That being said, there is that Doom Patrol storyline that reveals that humanity is descended from genderfluid shapeshifting reality warpers and that the Tower of Babel built by a society of those genderfluid shapeshifting reality warpers who are massive buzzkills is what causes humans to be limited to things like say, reality.

In a story using that as the backstory, well, then, it would make perfect sense for superscientists to be reality warpers because reality warping is the primal birthright of humanity.

11. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Here's how I would go about making super scientists. I would have their creations work by using exotic energies and materials, which they synthesize through the use of their reality bending powers. Like Nth metal. This story has portrayed Nth metal as being an exotic, potentially magical, material whose properties are determined by its structure. But when it comes to synthesizing this structure, the process is unreasonably difficult. A super scientist, in my head, would be able to use some made up process that only works for them to gain access to these materials, in order to really push the capabilities of their tech. They could also get free design specifications plopped into their head as well, to make it truly easy for them to make the crazy stuff.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I thought our Light was pilfering them of their lonely goodies? To attack them would require heroic desires?

Mr Zoat
    Why didn't Paul get those coins understood so he can add them to his trenchcoat of empowerment for the underpowered? Why not offer Danner Formula to the Amazons to get them to help? And is there a Paul that couldn't find a battery so he grabbed those magic coins to empower himself? A Super!Paul if you will?

13. Stsword

Captain Action Paul, that's where the coins came from.

Rather blatantly actually, three of the coins are fused together- Zeus, Heimdall, Hercules.

That happened in Captain Action.

He wore the three coins in a ring and gave the speed of Mercury to his son.

So yes, I happen to think an alt.Paul with a magic power ring that gives him the lightning of Zeus, Strength of Hercules and senses of Heimdall quite appropriate.

But that's apparently a little too off theme for Zoat.

Xmaster3000, ChestBurster and Doccer like this.
  14. HatsAreHats

HatsAreHats Wears sunglasses at night

Whatever happened to Truggs in the Grayven universe? Did he try to rob tech from someone out of his league and get blasted? Or never show up because of timeline nonsense, or what?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  15. Stsword

Lex has him imprisoned for vivisection in hopes of reverse engineering his future bio-enhancements.

16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That did happen to him. However, Lex now has him working on his fleet. It was mentioned when Lex revealed the previous Starman's spaceship to the masses. Truggs and the Renegade also brought up Lex's paranoia for being the reason for why making an A.I. in his likeness for a fleet is a bad idea.

17. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah. Without a heroic mirror to fixate on, Renegade Truggs is actually a bit more stable. Paragon meanwhile got a taste of the nemesis bug and had to try and become Paul's archenemy.

18. Threadmarks: Workhorse (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

22nd September 2012
    07:21 GMT -5

"He-ey!" Holly smiles brightly at Jade as we stroll through Robinson Park. "You back for long?"

"No. But now that I've got some time off, I thought I should visit."

Jade does have a quantum entanglement communicator which she could use to stay in touch with Paula and Artemis, but I haven't checked that she is using it for that.

Her apartment is much nicer to live in when she's there than when she's not.

"How's the war against those evil Reach aliens going?"

"It's going as well as it could. We're keeping infiltration to a minimum, and that's what they usually do in order to win."

Holly nods. "I can't imagine what that would be like, fighting someone who can just control everyone's minds like that. Not being able to trust anyone, or knowing if what people were telling you to do was actually part of some alien master plan."

Jade nods. "It could make you paranoid. But right now, that's not my problem."

"How long d'you get off?"

"A month."

Holly frowns in surprise. "A whole month?"

"I haven't taken any time off since I started. Commander Aeoleton-" A pleasant humanoid with a pale-skinned head like something out of Lovecraft. "-has been on at me to get some relaxation for a while. And since Paul's agreed to stop working for a month, now seems like a good time."

Holly looks at me. "You're going to stop working. Isn't that a bit… Dangerous? I mean, for other people."

"I'm not the only superhero on the planet. And there are times… Particularly recently, when I could have left it to other people but jumped in myself instead. I haven't had a holiday since I arrived on this planet."

"I thought you liked being a superhero."

"I do, but… I want to be able to appreciate the improvements I'm making to the world, and… Not get so caught up in the moment that I start missing the bigger picture. Plus, Jade and I don't get to spend much time together, so…"

"So you're not doing anything?"

"World-ending emergencies only. The other Lanterns can contact me."

Jade looks Holly over as she stretches. "You've been keeping up with the exercise regime."

"Yeah. You know, trying to make something of myself." Holly takes a pose, and… While she doesn't have Jade's definition, she definitely looks like she's in better shape than he was when I first met her. "Healthy eating and clean living."

"You kept up with my diet plan as well?" Jade raises her eyebrows. "I'm a little impressed."

Holly mock-simpers. "Just a little, mistress?"

I-.

Jade's eyes are already on me. "I gave her and Karon a few self-defense lessons."

I nod. "Healthy eating and clean living."

Holly shrugs. "I mean, I wouldn't have minded…"

Jade's eyes flick away for a second before she forces her body language back into neutral. "Anything interesting happening in Gotham?"

"The Alliance opened a new training centre. Some guy called Orpheus is running it."

Jade frowns. "'Alliance'?

"Remember when you told me that the League of Shadows used to murder neophyte superheroes?" She nods. "The Alliance of the Just is what happened as a result of that stopping. Thousands of rookie would-be superheroes with no real idea what they're doing, and a handful of senior heroes led by a repentant gangster trying to train them."

"Orpheus knows what he's doing. I don't think you can even buy crack in Gotham any more."

"Well, good for him. I'm a little concerned that this sort of thing is going to make normal policing even more difficult-."

"But that would be work."

I nod at Jade's observation.

"But that would be work. If it's a problem, I'm sure that Batman or Blue Lantern can deal with it."

"Hey, are you voting in the election?"

"Ah, the Presidential Election?" Holly nods. "I'm not a US citizen. Jade?"

"Not registered. Also, I'm a convicted felon."

"Yes, but this is Connecticut." Jade gives me a slightly blank look. "They let you vote again once you get out of prison."

"Oh." She frowns. "Did they let Horne run again?"

"Uh-huh." Holly shrugs. "I don't know why. It's not like he really does anything. Hey, you-" She looks at me. "-know Senator Knight, right?"

"I've met him a few times. We're not friends or anything. He seemed to be on board with the idea of bringing magic into the mainstream, which is most of what I wanted out of him." I frown. "They really let Horne run again?"

Holly shrugs. "I didn't get the impression there was much competition. Wasn't that why he got the nomination the first time?"

"Yes, but that's because the Democratic front-runners thought it was unwinnable. This time… Okay, the Sheeda weren't.. really his fault, but people might associate it with him. And while Knight's personal life isn't quite as clean as Horne's, he isn't the type to have a romp with a couple of teenaged prostitutes."

Holly's eyes narrow slightly. "How do you know how clean his personal life is?"

"Given.. what happened with the former Vice President, I felt that looking into him a little more closely than usual was a good idea before I had dealings with him."

"Wait." Holly frowns. "Do you do that with a lot of people?"

I frown back. "Yes. Did..? You not realise that?"

"So you can just go around and know which of them are honest and which ones aren't?"

"You don't need to be an empath to know which of them are honest. And it wouldn't matter, anyway. Horne's honest, almost… Completely, actually. But if he's not saying anything anyone is interested in hearing, if he doesn't have what it takes to come up with an agenda for the government to.. deal with the post-Sheeda world and the adoption of magic into the mainstream… Why does it matter?"

"So… Vote Knight?"

"With political leaders, their mannerisms matter as much as their actual ideas." I shrug. "Knight isn't a miracle worker, but he can probably convince people that he might be better than Horne. That will calm down the financial markets somewhat, and a government program of some sort will calm them the rest of the way."

"What sort of program?"

"It doesn't matter." / "It doesn't matter."

Jade and I look at each other, and smile.

"Unless they print a truly stupid amount of money -and I don’t think he would- all he has to do is convince people that the government has things in hand, and then whether or not his actions would improve things by themselves, normalcy will return because people will convince themselves that it is returning. Knight won't be a great President, but he would actually do President stuff, and sometimes a placeholder is all that's required."

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He truly is a politicians worst nightmare.

Sometimes a politician doing the bare minimum is the best you can hope for.

20. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Especially in comparison to all the ones that have historically done a lot more, but done it wrong (meaning, 'in a way that the observer did not approve of at the time, or has decided in hindsight was a mistake').

21. Ostentatiousnessness

Ostentatiousnessness First of his name, last of his kind

I feel legally obliged to leave this here.

22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And so their holiday begins. I'm sure Dox is happy to see OL actually gone for a bit. As long as he doesn't get any more bizarre reports coming across his desktop. I'm sure he has a whole virtual cabinet reserved solely for 'Illustres-related insanity'.

Company is what makes a house more than a place to hang your hat.

Good to hear the bad guys are getting figuratively cock-blocked.

I get the feeling it ends up that the only people you can count on are your fellow Darkstars...

And man, is that a long time when you stop to think about it...

Ah, so she was overworking herself a bit. Probably good timing for her to get out of the paranoid mindset for a while.

Wow, so he actually acknowledges it. Amazing how far he's come...

Heh. This might honestly be refreshing for him, then.

Boy, he is really committing to taking time off... I give it a couple of days before he's itching to check in on things.

A fact her girlfriend is no doubt appreciative of. :p

Oh, my...[/takei] Well, I suppose she's sone some of that in her time.

...Ah. Right. Lemme just pick my brain up out of the gutter. :oops:

I'm sure you wouldn't Jade is a hell of a looker, and in great shape. It's be like taking a Lambourghini for a drive.

Interesting that Batman would allow him to operate in Gotham. Guess he managed to show his stuff.

...And how many of them are just civic-minded folks with some silly, minor super-powers, like changing the colour of any paint they're touching (Good bye graffiti!) or sniffing out exotic chemical odours (Great for tracking drugs.)

OL, no. This is Batman's business.

Yes, listen to your lady. Do not offend her, because she has knives.

Or Blue Lantern, since he lives here.

Would be kind of awkward.

...Remind me, did SHADE's little 'replace the president' plan get stopped here or in the Renegade timeline?

Only because you convinced him that trying to ban it would be political suicide.

Admittedly, that's another kind of political suicide... Never mind the legal trouble.

Very sensible...

Even Batman might stop and say, "You seem a little paranoid..." Still, I suppose it's a hell of a lot easier with a Power Ring.

...Suspiciously honest, perhaps? Still, if he can't get the votes...

So, he can win simply by being less bland. That says something about politics in the DC Universe...

See, now you're getting it, OL.

...Anything would be better than, say, Lex Luthor, after all.

So, a pleasant start to the holiday. Still, too early to tell is this'll be a running theme for the rest of the episode... I guess we'll see, as things unfold. Let's just hope something doesn't happen to interrupt this pleasant little time. And something will, I'm sure. Between 'comic book universe' and 'being the protagonist', OL's gonna get dragged into trouble sooner or later.

23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That happened in the Renegade timeline. SHADE may end up being a problem in the Paragon timeline later down the line.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And I'm sure he also has a cabinet marked "booze/drugs to deal with Illustres insanity".

Your brain will always be in the gutter.

This Batman isn't the hyper paranoid control freak.

It was foiled in the Renegade side, mainly because I think Renegade discovered it on Earth 50 so he checked on Earth 16.

He figured that out himself.

Paul just convinced him of certain ways he can use magic.

Remind me, what happened with the vice president?

You're still seeing Murphy.

Well at least you're learning.

Even if you're pace rivals that of Paul and a crippled snail.

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

There were several points in the story that it was mentioned that an American politician was disgraced due to sleeping with cheerleaders. I think they were referring to the VP.

26. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

That would sadly be in-character for at least one of the types of person that have become politicians, for about as long as there have been politicians. He probably denied it, too, but 'well, he would, wouldn't he?'

27. Mr Zoat

If you remember, they originally weren't going to bother with Horne. Then the Renegade was a positive influence on him.

I wouldn't want to be Senator Knight, is what I'm saying.
    Horne's opponent in his first election. The Republican party's previous president actually made an effort to get his VP's name associated with popular programs during his second term, and the man was perfectly capable and generally well liked. As a result, Democrat who wanted the nomination at some point in the future decided to skip that election and try later. Horne was the party candidate because it didn't matter if he lost.

And then the video came out, the VP's reputation tanks, Horne actually put in an uncharacteristically charismatic debate performance and the Democratic party couldn't really swap him out at that late stage.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey, yeah, I think this should be 'Batman or Blue Lantern' seeing as that's Alan's new color.

29. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

The problem has never been on Paul’s side. He is perfectly happy with a relationship that only exists for a day or two every other month when two busy people both happen to be free at the same time.
    Jade however is not. She wants something more significant than what they have. Quite possibly more significant than the semi-eldritch quasi-abomination Paul has become can give her.

Sojiko, Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

I don't think he lives there
    but I think you're both right about this. I'll change it.