1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think he's that rich.

Which is usually an attempt to either apologize for his ysual shenanigans or some plot against Supes that's doomed to fail.

I think he remembered Knight's tech though it’s possible that it's just not something he paid too much attention to.

Renegade got involved because as it turns out, Savage bought the rights to Knight's tech just so he can make sure it isn't distributed as a way to spite him.

2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul is aware of the Cosmic Converter tech, but not the spaceship. The former because it is being used by a company that Paul doesn't know is really controlled by Savage, and the latter because only the Knight family knows it exists and doesn't tell anyone about it.

3. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Should be small potatoes compared to what Wayne and Lex do, just because even infinite wealth cannot accelerate everything.

Still, bringing resources to Africa instead of taking them is a bit novel.
    In account-money? No, but you're really underselling the value of asteroid mining. In raw material assets, Paul is richer than the entire world economy, if he so chooses.

Of course, he's not the only one in the setting. Frankly, DC earth not being a post-scarcity world is a disgrace. I know, it's stuck that way to retain verisimilitude, but still....

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  4. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

You are my soul brother!

All backpackers unite! I got so frustrated with the terrible lockers at my school I end up carrying all my books for the whole gosh darn day. My backpack was a certified weapon at the end of this!

5. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Heh, I remember my school had a 7 minute passing period and even then that wasn't enough time to go to my locker during the two years I had one. I basically just put snacks in there and carried all my books in my bag.

I did take a sadistic amount of pleasure in dropping my book bag whenever I got frustrated just to hear the satisfying thump.

6. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

Cocoa trucks on surprisingly good transport infrastructure? Those are his roads, aren't they?

Yup.
    That's the really funny part. His only motivation was to save good chocolate from corporate fuckery. He didn't do any work to make his company wealthier and more powerful. He just told them "you know how to do your jobs, so keep doing that."

Then they took advantage that their owner had contacts in the dolmen gates business and here we are.

That brings back unpleasant memories...

Are you talking about the underwear? Because he wasn't aware that they needed to be cleaned until he saw them and by that point he had removed both of his rings. From the way he reacted, that's not a new thing.

7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Since I've seen a couple of people mention it, the ring can flawlessly preserve his clothing while he's wearing said ring. The moment it comes off, the suppression on his body's normal stress response stops and his body overcompensates. He can get clothes sweaty very quickly.

8. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

*Looks at Superman Animated

Yeah "usually".

9. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

I had the opposite problem. My aunt worked at the school, so I'd leave stuff in her car sometimes to save carry weight. Like my lunch. Or her gym bag.

And sometimes she went out during the day.

I also sometimes left crap in my locker when I needed it for another class. Like the aforementioned gym bag. And then I'd forget to grab it, so I'd have to run back to my homeroom and shamefacedly interrupt the current class.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  10. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Damn, school bus drivers. I know the feeling of carrying just about everything at all times because of them. They couldn't leave fast enough and I'd basically have to sprint to where the busses were and hope I'd make it in time.

11. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Agreed, he is potentially richer given greater access to off world resources.

I never saw the point of lockers, to much work to remember where they were and to use them as well as the locker combo which could change if you were assigned a new one. Much easier to simply keep everything in a backpack.

12. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Backpack? *Thinks back to when I used to carry everything for class in my arms*

13. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

Not all schools actually allow lugging your backpack around, tbh, though you're right that there isn't usually enough time between classes for a locker trip, so it tends to be better to just carry everything around even without a backpack. May not even be enough room in the locker for more than just boots and a coat, all things considered...

Thankfully, by the time i got to highschool, local schools figured out the ban on taking backpacks to class was dumb, but...

14. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

It's not the drivers' fault, it's the assholes that don't hire enough drivers, buy enough busses, and thus have such a tight schedule that they can only wait five minutes after the end of the school day because they only have so long to take one load of kids home before they have to be at the next school that releases later in the day.

15. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

I hear that!

16. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Hasn't the SI already come across Grayven leading a warfleet against the Reach, with an implicit "we'll settle up with each other once the Reach is done" ending to their meeting? I remember it was that battle where Dox accidentally took himself out overloading his nascent magic sense.

Also, I'm sometimes a little confused if Apokolips is considered to be a "Milky Way Galaxy threat" like these others are, or a truly "uncounted galaxies of the universe all in danger" threat. But then, comics are bad at scale.

17. Threadmarks: Workhorse (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

27th September 2012
    05:52 GMT -7

I've had the local villages under observation for a few days, and it seems that the adults at least make a point of rising just before dawn for what looks like a morning prayer. It's fascinating that a pony culture almost entirely disconnected from mainstream Equestrian society exists so close to Equestria-proper.

I suppose it's due to the transportation-.

"Euuuaaarghghuhhh!"

Raindow Dash yawns loudly next to me, sitting on her haunches and stretching out her forelegs and wings.

"Miss Dash." I gaze at her reproachfully. "Please remove your feathers from my nostril."

Her wing jerks back. "Ew." She takes a moment to check the snot-free condition of her feathers before ruffling her wings and returning them to her flanks. "Why'd you make me get up this early, anyway? Who are these ponies?"

"Based on their cutie marks and their injuries, these are some of the ponies who were holding Miss Do captive in the fort."

"Hm." She looks up in the air for a moment, then tilts her head downwards, frowning as she tries to puzzle something out. "So… You're not here to arrest anyone."

"No crime has been committed either in a place administered by me, or in Equestria."

"Ah, pretty sure taking control of the sun is a crime."

I say nothing for a moment, then raise my head to its full height and turn my head in the direction of distant Canterlot.

"I mean… I could arrest Celestia. I don't think Luna would appreciate it, mind."

"What?" Miss Dash frowns at me, this time. "What do you mean, 'arrest Celestia'?"

"You said that taking control of the sun is a crime. I take it that after the events of our initial meeting you've taken the time to read up on Equestrian law, and thus have become aware that-."

"Okay, stop." She holds up her right forehoof. "Stop."

I stop.

"Celestia controls the sun. I mean, usually."

I nod. "That's been true for at least a thousand years, certainly."

"A thousand-? Oh, right, the Heathwarming thing about unicorns doing it."

"But as we established with the Diamond Dogs..?"

"Ah, Celestia can't give ponies something she doesn't own? So she doesn't own the sun?"

"It's tricky to see what legal system would apply. Equestria doesn't have any off-world stations or starships, so it's difficult to see how you could make an exclusive claim to this star system. And without that, there's no obvious reason why Equestria should be the nation which decides who the sun belongs to."

"Aside from the fact that Celestia controls it and has done for a thousand years."

"The stones that fort was made of had been there for a while. If it was over a thousand years old, who's to say that they don't have a prior claim?"

Yeah, there they go. Ponies leaving their huts and heading to the area in front of the chief's hut. Just as they have each day since the g-elves found this village.

"Are you saying Celestia stole it?"

"No. I'm saying that given how bad historical records from that era are, we have no way to establish any sort of chain of custody and thus cannot establish ownership. Celestia has discharged her duties as custodian well enough that the planet hasn't burned or frozen, but that doesn't mean it's hers."

Miss Dash stares at me. Then she closes her eyes, raises her forehooves and presses them to either side of her head. I carry on watching the villagers as the… Chief comes out and joins the front of the herd as the sun rises first over the horizon and then over the canopy. As one, the village bows, stays bowed for about five seconds, then rises and begins to go about their day.

"You-. You're good at finding things that are wrong with things. Isn't that right?"

"I have an instinct for the proper discharge of personal responsibilities, certainly."

"Do you..? Not like Celestia?"

"I'm indifferent to her. Personally, she's quite pleasant. Professionally, she-."

"You want her to have time off 'cause you don’t like how she handles the sun! Admit it!"

"Okay. That's part of it."

"What's there not to like about it?!"

"If, say… Five years ago? Chrysalis infiltrated Canterlot, launched her invasion and killed Celestia, what would have happened with the sun?"

"Ahhhhhhhhhhh… I guess.. it.. would stop moving? Or maybe Chrys-. Wait, Princess Celestia can die?"

"How do you want to test that?"

"Oh." She looks away. "Yeah."

"My kind can die. At least in our normal forms. We don’t age, we're tough and our technology is first rate, but we can be killed, even with conventional weapons. I've been assuming that since Starswirl's Mirror rendered me as an alicorn they were about as tough; very, but not insurmountably so. I have a Last Will and Testament. Should I die, I know who will have guardianship of my children and who will be charged with continuing my work."

"Celestia doesn't… Have any foals…" She frowns. "I think. But… Yeah, who would have controlled the sun? Can… Cadance do it?"

"I don't think so, but I haven't asked. And I don't know about Twilight Sparkle, but Sunset specifically told me that she wasn't taught how to manage the sun while she was Celestia's student. And hasn't been taught since her return and ascension. Luna told me that she can, but she really wouldn't want to."

"So we… We might actually need it. The fort.. ring things. I mean, I don't want to need it, because something would have to have happened to the princesses. But… It's, like, the whole world."

I nod, pleased. "Well done, Miss Dash. You'd be surprised how many people struggle with that lesson."

"I thought you were gunna complain about me destroying it just 'cause it was old." She looks genuinely distressed. "But you mean that you don't think it could override Celestia unless Celestia wasn't there."

"Something like that."

"I coulda destroyed the world when I broke those rings."

"Yes, but that's a secondary issue."

"Huh?"

"Did you know what destroying the rings did in advance?"

"Stop Ahuizotl?"

"Given that you believed that they had the power to control the sun, did you know for certain that their destruction would not destroy it?"

Miss Dash freezes. Just for a moment.

"No. I didn't."

"Celestia could move the sun back. Beat up Ahuizotl and his followers and Twilight Sparkle could probably have worked out how to use the rings to put the sun back in the right place. I hear she's quite good at magic. Destroy it and you better be lucky, because if you're not, bad things happen."

Miss Dash gulps. "Yeah."

"Virtuous actions guard against ill fortune. Don't destroy things unless you have to; you might need them. Don't hurt people you don't need to; same reason. If you don't know what's going on, then learn, so you don't do something stupid by mistake. And that's why-."

"You wanna talk to them, so you can talk to Ahuizotl. 'cause… We don't even really know why he wanted to control the sun, and those guys down there seem to really like it. So they can't have been trying to destroy it."

I nod approvingly. "Yes. Let's go and talk to them."

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  18. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

‘the fort was made of’

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Ah yes, another episode where Grayven is wrong about a thing but people take his word as gospal for reasons...

20. Emizaquel

Emizaquel What is a self?

He doesn't have metaknowledge, and his stated reasons aren't terrible. There's no reason for Rainbow Dash to doubt them.

has it even really come up in the past?

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'as the sun flies over'

Not according to Hinon.

23. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Yeah Grayven's process is correct: Do not destroy something that has the power to control your sun without checking first what'll happen if you do.

24. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Okay, I'll bite: how exactly is he wrong? He states she didn't know that destroying the rings would not destroy the sun. She immediately admits he was right.

25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because she's a Pegasus not an Earth Pony.

Which means in non "Grayven is right lecture land" she would have had the basic knowledge of magic necessary to tell at a glance that the rings in question couldn't have done that.

asparagus and Relyt33 like this.
  26. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Well saying that it could destroy the sun might be a bit much, but the whole point is that Rainbow didn't know for certain.

EDIT: Pegasi are sky. It was the unicorns that handled the celestial bodies.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yes... If you ignore the simple fact she would have been able to see/sense the magic of the rings and know whether that was a possibility or not...

Relyt33 likes this.
  28. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

I'm sorry, since when do they teach about ancient artifacts nobody believes actually exist as part of the standard pegasi lessons? And given how skilled earth ponies are at general craftiness why don't they get similar lessons on NOT destroying unknown magical objects?

I mean, do pegasi have the ability to read enchantments and I just never noticed?

29. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

I have become invested in new plot. Lead on good pony.

30. egooo

egooo Getting sticky.

Okay, dial back for a moment.
    The canonicity of the claim they can 'sense' magic aside (whatever, it's fanfiction), how would a weatherpony reasonably know the arcane system well enough to identify what the artifact isn't unless it was specifically about weather?