1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. j334

j334 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

On a completely different note. Can anyone point me to the starro chapters? what with Irish visiting and all I am trying, and failing badly, to remember how that went down in what I shall call the 'with this ring original timeline'

2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That would be Episode 44: A Star Reborn and Episode 99: Plutonian.

ChestBurster, Prince Charon and j334 like this.
  3. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Not even pretending to be ‘on holiday’ any more I see.
    I question the wisdom of trying to become intimate with someone who regards fundamental aspects of your existence uncomfortable.

ChestBurster and whythis990 like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'clenching in'

'on each other'

Why do I get the feeling this is foreshadowing for something.

Hey, art forms can live for centuries.

I sometimes forget about your crush on him.

And the funny thing is that Luthor isn't completely wrong.

I think being around OL influences people to follow their desires more.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Now I'm picturing a winged humanoid alien showing up on Riverdale.

It wouldn't be the stupidest thing to happen on that show.

He also a painting made by Hitker.

Nope, it wouldn't be him.

I don't think they did it before now.

Previously he just referred to Jade as his girlfriend or paramour.

Chojin Patriarch, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  6. Pez

Pez Spaceman

If Ophidian!Paul thought he could turn Luthor around, then doesn't that mean that he saw something he believed he could exploit or push to make it happen? I'd think that what he saw then, even when he wasn't really thinking straight, would be the same as what he could see now with his Empathic Vision. Has he checked on Luthor lately? Things might have changed to make him more amenable to overtures.

I never understood why someone with the ability to think rationally never just went up to Luthor and said, "Hey, Lex! You want to be humanity's savior? I can help ya out. First, let's do all the stuff Superman can't, like cure cancer. That's at least seven Nobel Prizes for you. Then we'll solve the world energy issues, and follow that up with fixing the environment. Let Superman punch bad guys. You'll save humanity!"

I'd think an approach like that would work for... at least 40% of the Lex's out there, and the YJ Lex (and this version) seems reasonable enough to see the merit in such a plan.

Cuchulin, Rockinalice and Vorian like this.
  7. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

What lines? What was he telling him? When?

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, I don't think he has.

And I doubt Luthor will be more amenable now.

After Paul was frosty with him during the Manga Khan incident, Luthor may be more careful now that any friendship he and Paul shared is gone.

Paul may be able to see things in Luthor, but that doesn't mean he can use what he knows in a practical way.

The problem with this is that both sides need to be rational.

The person talking to Luthor can be so logical that he makes Vulcans seem like babies, but if the other person isn't logical or has some deep flaws, like paranoia, then the chances of anything working can be minimal.

Paul already offered Lex everything he could want.

He offered to get rid of the rest of the Lighr, he offered to make sure that Luthor isn't found to be connected to them, he offered to help him uplift humanity.

Paul offered everything to Luthor, but due to Luthor's flaws, he turned it down.

Both sides need to be rational for it to work.

9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No, Paragon offered Lex everything Paragon thought Lex wanted based on the fanon ideal of Lex Paragon had built in his head.

At which point when Luthor took home the offer, thought it over, and sent a veiled counter proposal to Paragon, Paragon completely wrote him off because he was too up his own ass to realize it, and it was Paragon's way or the highway.

gustyeagle likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

11. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Given Kran Kral's reaction it seems like OL and Jade engaged in a

12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I found a few broken pictures.
    In each quote, the first picture works, but the second one doesn't

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Are you sure? Other than the Da Bomb image not formatting properly for some reason they both work fine for me.

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I changed what wifi I am connected to, and it works now. Sorry for the mistake.

ChestBurster and moralrelativity like this.
  15. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

If Stellaris has taught me anything it's that being militarist is always a good backup.

16. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

Paul didnt offer Lex everything he wanted. There is also an issue in assuming Lex is irrational because he refused. There are rational reasons to reject a deal that is in your best interest such as because you dont trust the other party. Like how Paragon acts so hard against the Reach.

Paragon gives far too much away in deals and that can be offputting. Most people have ulterior motives and a good deal being offered directly is questionable. Someone in a good position doesnt take a deal like that.

Not to mention that Paragon, while somewhat rational, does not operate on human logic. His priorities are incredibly skewed and his mental processes are very different. Not to mention how much raw power he is capable of influencing. Just look at all the stuff he is able to pull together and influence, it displays incredible cunning. But literally almost everyone in business and politics with that level of intelligence will show more tact and secrecy regarding true motives. Because concealing your motives can help you get a better deal if they dont know how bad you want it.

You can trust someone with a rational goal that sometimes self-sabotages out of that pursuit. But someone seemingly straighrforward can be hiding some hidden scheme. The best lies are the ones you cant see.

He also failed to recognize just how much Lex wants to show up Superman for example. The sheer irrational dislike for Superman. If OL had wanted to make a 3rd side, that even would have been a better deal. Lex can deal with the Light because he understands Supervillains, he cant understand Paragon.

And Paragon really gave up way too fast. It takes time ans good faith exchanges to really establish sincerity. He met with Lex only a few times really. He gave his full pitch after less than a year. And after the Light had triumphed at New Years. Even now OL is completely ignorant of the scheme cooked up by the Light. Frankly the Light has been completely off the grid since Satanus got yoinked on that trip to hell. No real indication of their current composition or what they are up to. No idea who has replaced Bee or Satanus. And no clues as to what they are doing. Especially since their future Partner is going to have some issues with infiltration with OL around.

But the Light is long term on a scale that Paragon still cant really see. Although that is with canon Vandal as opposed to the shortsighted one who almost destroyed the world in Renegade timeline.

17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The latest Word of Zoat is that Savitar and Boss Smiley are members. Not sure if they've added others since then. If yes, my best guess is Circe. Mr Zoat, if it's not too much of a spoiler, can we get a list of the Light's current members in both timelines? Also, how long until Mary and Lieutenant Marvel join the Team?

ChestBurster, zeebza and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Light in the Renegade timeline include the Renegade, Luthor, Cranius, Shade, Circe, Adom and that queen from Venturia.

ChestBurster, zeebza and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Her name is Clea.

ChestBurster and Darko like this.
  20. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

What happened to lex here anyway?
    Renegade has him on a leash but I don't think he's ever let that stop him.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He's mellowed out thanks to the Renegade's influence/restrictions. He is satisfied by the fact that he owns Earth's only space fleet.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and zeebza like this.
  22. Threadmarks: Workhorse (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

10th October 2012
    02:17 GMT

The next painting in the gallery depicts one of Bleez's ancestors dressed in what I suspect is Thanagarian survey gear. There's a landing craft in the background and what I suspect is the future site of the castle in the background. The land is roughly the right shape, though I don't know how much they built it up before starting construction.

"What did he mean, 'when you intended to break it off'?"

"Havanian succession is hereditary. I imagine that he was assuming that humans and thanagarians can't reproduce together."

"Or that dalliances with aliens might be considered a sign of aristocratic eccentricity, but marrying one would be more serious."

"There's no danger of that. Though -ironically- the Thanagarian government would probably be fine with that, because it would tie me to the area. The opposition would come from local parties."

"How would a human man get Bleez pregnant?"

Jade's keeping her attention firmly on the painting. Ra's seems like the sort who'd include a course on art appreciation, but my own abilities to analyse paintings haven't improved since getting a good look at an original Adolf Hitler. Obviously they're laying claim to descent from the first people to explore Havania, implying that their rulership was destiny from that moment. But beyond that? There are objects and pieces of equipment which seem slightly out of place and probably have all sorts of significance, but…

"When a man and a woman-."

"Really?"

"It's practically required. And that's more or less how it happens: arcane inertia. The magic systems of Earth that all presently existing humans carry within them know as a result of millions of generations that male and female humanoids having sex produces babies. Mere biology stands no chance against that sort of magic."

She turns her head slightly, just far enough to look at me.

"Is that really how it works?"

"It's hard to test without…" I shrug. "Getting a lot of people interested in conceiving with alien partners together and… Getting them to give it a try in a mystically regulated environment."

"So the first time the tamaraneans visit."

I nod. "So the first time the tamaraneans visit. I mean, I'll warn them that it can happen, but they're not… Good at restraint." I shrug, smiling. "If you can't be good, be safe. And if you can't do that, would you mind wearing this arm band so that we can monitor the process?"

"How do you know that? Because if you're working up to telling me that Princess really is your daughter, this is a really roundabout way of doing it."

"While it's not impossible that the Queen got hold of a sample of my DNA and used that… Somehow, the Queen isn't humanoid, and isn't physiologically… Even if I'd gotten right up to the base-"

I make a grasping motion with both arms.

"-of her third leg, it wouldn't-."

There are footsteps a short distance behind us, and we turn to see that Ambassador Klus has joined us.

"Illustres. Darkstar."

I nod politely. "Ambassador. I'm sorry, I'd have greeted you sooner but I didn't see your name on the guest list..?"

"I'm here on government business. Once we were notified that you were in the Thanagarian Empire and appeared to be staying in one place, I was tapped to speak with you."

"I'm on holiday."

He doesn't look entirely convinced. "Really?"

Jade doesn't look convinced either. "He's trying." … "We're trying."

"And why did the Thanagarian government dispatch you?"

"Given your interactions with us to date, we felt it best that we ensure there aren't any more 'Hawkwoman' incidents."

"Hawkwoman incidents?"

His one remaining eye stares at me for several moments.

"You aren't aware, are you."

"Ah. I called her a coward, she challenged me to a duel, she lost, we're trying to avoid each other? Aside from the visit here, anyway."

"You're not. Obviously human duelling traditions are different, but I'm a little surprised that no one has said anything to you."

"About what?"

He walks a little closer and drapes his arms over the gallery railings.

"About the extent of your insult to her."

"Well, yes, martial culture, obviously she wouldn’t take being called a coward well. I don't take my friends being enslaved well."

"No, not that. Your conduct in the duel, and afterwards."

I frown. "Was I supposed to kill her or something?"

"Or something." He straightens up. "You apparently don't understand why she was duelling you. It wasn't because she wanted to force you to take your accusation back; it was to disprove it, both to you and to her. You're an Illustres; she didn't think she could beat you in a fight. She wanted to prove that she was prepared to face an unbeatable foe without flinching. And what did you do?"

He gestures towards me with arms and wings.

"Rather than presenting an unbeatable foe, you used the minimum amount of force possible in an attempt to spare her injury. You treated her like an adolescent sparring with a tutor. You put her on the ground without injuring her, repeatedly, and only started injuring her when the referee told you it was required, all the time asking him to call off the fight. Implying that you found her attempts to prove herself irrelevant. And then you tried to surrender as if she was an irrational child acting out, not a warrior on the verge of reclaiming her pride."

"None of what you're saying makes me think I was wrong."

He looks away. "Of course it doesn't." He shakes his head before returning his attention to me. "And then the ultimate insult. Among thanagarians, in a fight like that the two parties would meet afterwards. She would acknowledge that you were right about her previous behaviour, and you would acknowledge that she had overcome that weakness."

"The moral cowardice I accused her of isn't the same as craven cowardice. Fighting an obvious enemy didn't prove-."

"Do you remember what you said to Katar Hol when he suggested visiting her?"

"Yes. I don't forget things. I said that I intended to avoid her because I didn't want her to decide to try and carry on fighting."

"And thus implying that you thought she fought you not over a point of principle, but because she was a berserker whose only thought was to mindlessly throw herself against you. There wasn't anything worse you could have said. So rather than resolving your conflict, you managed to continue it. And that's why the Thanagarian government sent me. My superiors are worried about what you might tear down next."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'less'. Also, I think that sentence would work better if you remove 'that it' .

That is an interesting way of showing culture clash; how one thing that's considered an insignificant matter by someone could mean the world to someone else. Will Paul get that animosity removed, or is it far too late, and they (meaning Hawkwoman) should just learn to live with it?

24. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Got to love those long planted story points.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well when a man and woman love each other, or are very drunk, or one is forcing themselves on the other, or one is gay but is too afraid to acknowledge it and needs to sleep with a member of the opposite gender to prove that they're not gay...

It could just be as a way to record history.

Hah!

Assuming that it's carried out in a magic rich environment.

Though it may not work for you given your unusual situation.

'do that'

'telling me that'

Paul has a habit of being roundabout.

The Queen may not be humanoid but she is basically a walking genetic engineering lab and can work with humanoid DNA.

To be fair you're not very convincing.

'suggested'

That's fair.

Even without Paul's lack of knowledge on Thanagarian customs, he has a habit of tearing things down.

26. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

And thus we have every way Paul messed up thrown in his face with zero understanding. I understand that he wants the world to be a certain level of rational, but blindly pretending it already is will not make it so.

27. Lothlo

Lothlo Not too sore, are you?

My superiors are worried about what you might tear down next.
    -
    What you are telling me is that your government is filled with a bunch of cowards that prefer to send someone to deal with me, instead of doing it themselves due to being afraid of what I would do?
    *silence*
    - Paul, are you sure you are trying to have holyday with me?

28. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

She's so angry that she's going to mindlessly throw herself at you in fury.

Joking aside, how dark are we going to go with this? Did she do that thing where people commit suicide to atone for their honor? It's been so long since that scene happened I honestly can barely remember it.

29. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm kind of surprised the Hawkwoman thing is considered so significant that it has to be brought up by a government official, especially after the government has basically written off the Hawks as having 'gone native'. But I suppose ensuring a mutual understanding of cultural norms is important.

My main issue, I guess, is that it's been so long since that duel happened, and Jade more or less explained the same thing to Paragon in the chapter right after, so this seems like something that should have been resolved by now. I don't remember if Katar's conversation with Paragon about visiting her happened onscreen, but surely the former has enough of a grasp on the differences between Thanagarian culture and non-martial humans/Paragon to have properly explained the context (admittedly, he kind of did during the duel chapter, but then things got awkward because Paragon brought up the Blades of Alstair). And while Paragon can be blamed for continuing the conflict, in this case it does take both sides to perpetuate it, when Hawkwoman should know that Paragon doesn't have the same appreciation or understanding of her warrior code or whatever, so assigning blame solely to him isn't something I'd agree with.

Honestly when they said 'Hawkwoman incident' I thought they were referring to cultural shifts brought about by Sharon Parker or something.

30. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

“Cultural differences.”

Right now I am imagining two people raised in different lands. Their letters look the same, they possess similar voices, they were taught consistently throughout their lives… But one was taught to speak as if their words are as dangerous as a motor vehicle while the other believes words reinforce society, empower one’s mental foundations, and help others build themselves up. In the real world humans have a great deal in common with pieces of software which are directed to interact with unrelated software.

If I remember correctly during the Hawkwoman fight Paragon-Paul saw Green and a lot of Red through his empathic vision. Some of the red directed at herself. Recently Paul’s enlightenment was revised following some soul/metaphysical damage which affected his superpower. I… do not think that this improved empathic vision would have helped old-Paul correctly handle Hawkwoman. I don’t think he would intuit that a multi-layered culture clash was going on.

I wonder if Common Sense!Paul has read up on the cultures of the full Justice League or if he has something like Mazlowe’s hierarchy to keep his confidence collared.