1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

introduced -> introduces

I really hope so!

2. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Ha, it's amazing to see Luna has an actual spine. And sarcasm!

Also Sunset, at this point you mostly come off as a bit of a bitch. You won. Now let it go.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sounds about right.

She was a bitch even before this.

And she can be very petty and spiteful.

4. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hobbling?
    To be fair 99% of Equestria's Armageddon issues are solved by Twilight.

5. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Sunset. Can’t you just teach the little ponies curse words from Earth? Or talk about the history of human medicine? Or… Fine, fine. You are an alicorn now. That means you need to stumble your way into your own apprentice, who will reflect some parts of your behavior in surprising ways.

Perhaps you’ll take a non-pony though.

6. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

I am now manually imagining Equestria Girls-style Sunset, but she's dressed up like Fidel Castro.

Complete with the beard, cap, and cigar.

7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, nothing that reads as a threat. So it's something Earth has that Equestria doesn't. And I doubt she's such a fainting filly that seeing a plane in the air would have her panicking...

Best to move slowly. Equines don't deal well with quick movements or loud noises, whatever their form...

Ah... Oh, the madness. I imagine this would only occur on Equestrian by accident, or if Luna was feeling a bit vexed by her sister.

Hmm... Would this be a bad time to cop a feel? :D Just to shock her out of her surprised state. It's not like her slap would hurt him, after all.

Oh, don't think we didn't notice that little moment of self-correction, Renegade. I guess there's a few words he avoids using, even in his inner monologue, since he met the Ponies, unless they're actually appropriate...

Ah, small children. Such a calming influence.

It's not all that scary, you know. Unless you're living in a reality where the Moon isn't natural...

Ah, the little girl has the right idea. Get the other pony-girl to help.

...And no, I am not going to link to that. :oops: Think a 'Bondage play' thing...

Does it matter to her Magical Research? No? Then why would it? :p

Yes, the desire to not be seen as foolish in front of a peer is probably a strong motivator.

...And that can be taken so many ways. But I think you can guess exactly which way he wants it taken... :oops: Or rather, her taken.

...That's not a no to private hobbling, or other stuff like it... :sneaky:

And a beautiful sight it can be, depending on conditions. Though it's never so large as video games would have you believe.

...Would she have even bothered to look at the sky? I mean, she is something of a shut-in at times.

:cool: Not quite the heavy breathing you want her to be doing, eh, Grayven?

Hey, there are worse ways he could have put that. ;) And lewder fanart generally does give her a fine 'moon' indeed.

I mean, Grayven, haven't you ever seen something you didn't expect before? I'm sure there's something in this universe that could produce a reaction like that. What about that last visit from Him? Or where you too paralysed with fear to be shocked?

Ah... Yes, I suppose that could be a surprise... :eek: Wait, you were playing catch with the kids? How sweet!

...Yes, a very good thing, indeed. The DC Universe's orbital physics are robust, but not that robust...

I mean, how big is Wilson's Moon, actually? Because I doubt it's 10k Kilometres around, nor weighs about 7.3x1022 Kilograms (That's 22 zero's, people. That's a lot.) Discord, you got some 'splainin' to do...

It was quite cute, you know.

Hey, now! The Source put a lot of work into things. You know how hard it is to co-ordinate all these things whizzing about without colliding by accident? ...No, making them collide on purpose is something else entirely.

And usually, the few times an object of a mass large enough to actually mess with orbital physics, like Mageddon or Solaris, has entered the system, they've usually had space wedgies in place to prevent throwing things off-track.

In fact, she'd probably thank you for it. Do you know how much of a pain it would be, having to rise before dawn every day for over a thousand years?

:confused: ...Oh, god. What did she do?

...Sunset has no genre savvy or pattern recognition, does she? Does she not remember the Cutie Mark Lecture? Some Ponies are not entirely stable.

Smart lady. Though I'm sure there are some colts and fillies out there who might benefit from your knowledge... Why, you could found a school of oneiromancy! It's even got a pun in the 'neigh-me'! :V

Good advice. The sad fact of personal experience. I'm sure any students you take in future will do fine...

To quote Cable: "You've never needed a crystal ball to predict the obvious, have you?" But seriously, Starlight doesn't have issues, so much as the entire newsstand.

Now that, I did not see coming. I'd assumed Grayven had quietly given her a look at the Solar System's setup offscreen at some point. :p I guess he forgot, what with all that teasing he had on the docket. Still, as he said, it's probably good timing that it happened now. The Moon's already gotten enough attention and fiddling with in the Paragon's timeline. :V

In pony terms: A Hobble. I'm sure you can connect to dots involving a human-form version...

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And her very own printing company.

9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    She hasn't won until Celestia admits that she won.
    Hobbling.

10. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

The Legend of Luna: Majora's Mask
    "The moon's going to come crashing down in three days!"
    "Neigh."
    "Huh. Well that was a quick plot resolution."

11. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ Dystopian Hugs

Public hobbling

Princess in the streets
    Kinky bondage pony in the sheets

12. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

What, again?

13. Nashk

Nashk Getting out there.

This time she has literature!

14. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

My Little Pony?
    No.
    Our Little Pony.

15. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Much better than Pubic hobbling.

When I saw your post, I thought you were doing pointing out a misspelling for a moment.
    What would have been a most unfortunate misspelling.

16. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

There's probably some fuckery where the sun and moon Celestia and Luna deal with aren't anywhere near as large as our own. If nothing else, the admittedly not particularly canon comics once had them lasso the moon then climb the rope to reach it. And it didn't take them a particularly long time, or tire them out, to reach it.

17. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Mutineers Moon is a great book that needs more shout outs. And is one work of fiction I often bring up when folks start saying *generic sci-fi* is OP.

18. Threadmarks: Workhorse (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

10th October 2012
    02:12 GMT

Drift left, slight descent, meet eyes, nod and switch hands…

I don't know about Thanagar itself, but it turns out that Havania has ballroom dancing.

Proceed and wheel, drift back and switch hands again…

Aerial ballroom dancing, which includes quite a lot of precise wing movements as well as motions of the arms and legs.

Hold your partner close and rise, rotating in synchronicity as you stare into their eyes…

And the third place couple drop out, prompting Jade and I to bow our heads and press our foreheads together as we drop out to avoid a clearly tainted victory. Because while there's no actual rule against airborne aliens taking part in what isn't strictly a competitive event, they're flying by precisely controlling their wings and Nth metal nodes while we're using a power ring and kinetic belt respectively. While it wasn't easier for us to match our motions than it was for the rest of the… Um, flock? It didn't get progressively more tiring as it did for them.

We touch down at the edge of the circle marking out the area for the 'dance-duel', linking arms as we head for one of the chaise lounges around the edge of the room. The third place couple are flaking out near by, friends or admirers commiserating them as they fan them with their wings. The man makes a play of it, spreading his arms and wings, loosening his jacket and panting to lose accumulated heat as quickly as possible to the laughter of the observers.

The woman wilts a little more quietly, right hand clenching in frustration. Though a quick flash of empathic vision shows that she's mildly frustrated at coming close to winning and not quite getting there, rather than as part of some long-running grudge. Long running serious grudge, perhaps I should say.

The winners descend into the centre of the room, leaning on each other though trying to make it look like they could carry on all evening if they had to. A collective cry goes up, and everyone around the edge of the room makes an arms raised hands together gesture of salute, the younger couples keeping their arms raised for several seconds while the older participants drop it almost immediately. Bleez herself heads into the centre of the room with a ceremonial chalice which she hands to the victors, the woman taking a small drink before passing it to the man, who takes another small drink before passing it back.

I don't really know what any of that's about, but it's fascinating to watch.

Bleez leans in to say something to the victors, glancing our way and nodding her head to the side. That's our signal, then.

I scan the room and the castle beyond, and the grounds beyond that. No infiltrators that I can detect, no obvious red flags amongst the staff -other than her mother, who put in a token appearance and retired early after introducing Bleez to an unusually tall fellow from the local defence force- and no sign of electronic monitoring beyond the internal security mechanisms. Jade and I went through the place before the party but it wasn't impossible that someone could have snuck something in.

With the event over and the participants mostly recovered, the guests begin to circulate once more. A few head outside to take advantage of the castle's gardens. The flowers there certainly look nice, and I'm sure that the arrangements are in exquisite taste, but the whole things smells decidedly… Off, to a human nose.

I nod back to Bleez, then arm in arm Jade and I walk out of the dance room and head deeper into the castle.

"That was a change of pace."

"Are you interested in formal dancing?"

"No, but I think I could live with doing it every now and then."

"Noted."

"And that doesn't mean 'once a month' or 'twice a year'."

"Also noted.""So, three times a year?"

She's facing away from me so I miss what is probably an eye roll, but I do spot the slight hitch in her breathing.

"I'll tell you when."

"I feel this is a very stereotypical conversation."

"So you want an exact figure."

"I don't need an exact figure, but it might be helpful in getting you what you want if I know what it is."

"I thought you always know what I want."

"Only if I make a point of looking, and I know it makes you uncomfortable."

We slow to a stop just in front of a large portrait of… Yes, Bleez's family when she was younger. Her father stands tall and proud while her mother plays… Something, with her in the foreground. Her father's sidearm is the only piece of advanced technology on obvious display.

"Interesting that they still do paintings."

"They probably keep the holograms somewhere private."

"Lex Luthor has a hallway lined with photographs on the way to his apartment."

She glances at me. "Spying on the opposition?"

"He invited me to dinner once. Me and a few others."

"When was that?"

"The week after I joined with the Ophidian." I sigh quietly. "Back when I still thought that he could be talked around."

"Aiming high."

"Aimed high. Really thought I could get through to him." I shrug. "Not to be. So do you want to know about it if there's ballroom dancing somewhere we happen to be?"

"Yes, let's go with that."

"Excuse me!"

Jade and I uncouple and turn, the tall Thanagarian apparently having gotten away from his handler. Kran Kral is apparently 'a noble officer with good prospects'. And he's certainly tall. He's actually a little taller than me, and noticeably broader. According to local files he's from one of the newer colonies, first generation born there.

"Yes? How can we help?"

"You both dance well for people who haven't seen a Thanagarian dance until recently. Was it really just today?"

"Princess Bleez was kind enough to lend us her dance instructor."

"And it's not really the same when you're not using your own wings. Didn't feel like taking part yourself?"

He wing-shrugs. "The Princess Regnant intimated that Princess Bleez would be my date. That… That doesn't appear to be happening, and in any case as the hostess it would be impolite for her to take part."

"As I understand it, Bleez's ideas about what Bleez wants and her mother's ideas about what Bleez wants are distant acquaintances at best. If you actually want to pursue a relationship with her then I suggest not seeking her mother's favour."

"Oh." He frowns. "I hadn't realised. I…" He shrugs again, looking slightly awkward. "I actually intended to ask if you were involved with her. And when you intended to break it off. But if you're not, then I suppose that I only have my own poor reconnaissance to blame."

"This is Jade, my fiancée."

Jade nods. "Hello."

"Oh." He makes a submissive gesture with his wings. "I apologise. That is what I get for relying on rumours."

"Bleez is an interesting woman, but…" I shake my head. "I don't think it would work. Really, if you're serious, she's the one you need to talk to."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  19. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

When the hell did they get engaged!?

20. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

They planned to get married after the war calms down. I guess that means that they're practically engaged.

21. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

lined

22. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Also, there was that conversation with her mother where he mentioned being engaged for a few years... but I may be remembering a conversation Renegade had.

23. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

What -> Was

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It never ceases to amuse me that Paragon missed recruiting Lex Luthor solely because he was too stupid to read between the lines of what Luthor was telling him.

25. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

He was genuinely tempted by what OL was offering, but he missed out due to his rampant paranoia over the SI's orange light powers potentially influencing him.

Side note, I am now rooting for this thanagarian dude. Feels like a genuine sort. And as a first generation from one of the newer colonies, he might be more amenable to Bleez's reforms than someone born and bred in the seat of Thanagar's power.

26. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Still kind of funny when Lex does come up, because Paul was getting through to him. Paul just gave up when he was most of the way there, without bothering to figure out why Lex was reluctant to defect from The Light. It wouldn't have even been hard to figure out that Lex was worried he was being subtly influenced by orange light fuckery.

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, Ballroom Dancing. A fine tradition of nobility, and damn challenging sport. Nothing like seeing a whole party moving in synchronised patterns, especially if you're just watching on. I bet there' a military aspect to it for Thanagarians too. The coordination needed to avoid colliding with other pairs probably helps on the battlefield...

...That must look spectacular. Rings of moving duos, flitting about each others in elaborate reels... Slowly shedding as partners flag and wear out...

Yeah, given your gear is thought-controlled and lets you flat-out levitate, it would be a bit cheeky. Though imagine the competition on Earth if that kind of thing caught on. :p

I can imagine the area being a bit steamier than usual. That many bodies, moving that closely and energetically?

Ah, just a bit of friendly rivalry with the winner. :confused: Why am I picturing Betty, Veronica Archie and Reggie as Thanagarians?

Seriously, the competitive form is amazingly stressful. Ever see Strictly Ballroom? Apparently it's pretty damn accurate about the behind-the-scenes stuff.... ( :eek: And good lord, that was thirty years ago? I feel old.)

Hmm. Perhaps an old tradition involving the winners being partners in other ways, maybe.

I don't doubt their security staff takes their job seriously... Still, having the extra eye on things helps.

I don't doubt there'll be some naughtier meetings taking place out there. Especially in little private grottos made for just that purpose...

To be fair, the kind of 'dancing' she was raised with was more... martial.

...Suuure. Just as long as you don't have to get out there and dance, right?

:rolleyes: Always got to poke the sore spots, huh, OL?

On the other hand, I'm sure this is exactly what the people listening to them expect to hear.

;) ...What, you expected them to be able to have a private conversation? Shyeah, right.

Plus, it's probably been a little more distracting, if he's still been having trouble keeping other people's emotions out of his network, like he did after his last respawn. It's probably even harder when it's someone he's so closely bonded to already.

Much like the dancing, there's always a place for older arts. It's not like photography killed painting.

...Of himself? I mean, I know Lex is narcissistic, but...

Albeit a rather tense dinner...

Admittedly, it almost worked. If only he'd been a little more trusting...

:confused: ...But it wouldn't be Lex if he weren't as paranoid as he is narcissistic.

Ooh, what great timing for an interruption!

Keep in mind, OL is easily six feet, barefoot. So Kral's a big guy...

And in OL's case, a bit of ring-aided learning? Jade probably took to it like a duck to water, like she does nearly anything...

True. Win and there'd be accusations of favouritism. Lose, and she'd get a roasting from her mother...

Such is the minefield of noble courtship and marriages... Especially when those involved aren't entirely interested in each other.

...Ouch. Someone's got egg on their face. Though I honestly can't remember when they formalised matters. Or was he just saying that to soften the blow to Kral's... Pride? Ego? Reputation?

What, actually talk to his intended, rather than rely on go-betweens? :D How... Cosmopolitan!

Well, the people you meet at these parties... I doubt he's really a contender for Bleez's hand, but it could be interesting to see how she reacts. Especially if OL invites him to join them for their little private meeting with Bleez, which I assume was what her signal meant. It'll be interesting to see what's been happening in the two or three days we skipped there...

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He actively sent Paragon an offer of alliance that Paragon completely missed because it didn't involve Luthor just going along with what Paragon wanted.

29. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I think I get why the Thanagarian Empire might aim for a monoculture now. A couple decades of traditional dances getting discarded by Thanagarian youths and all sorts of undignified dance styles will pop up! Chances are at least one of them will end up empowering their Seven Devils or will please Queen Hyathis.

What could have been

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Hah! No. The new colonies are hardcore militarist.