1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Possibly.

When Renegade was fighting Diana 50 he told her that if she wished to regain her blessings, she would have to go to a sacred grove.

If he knew that then it's likely he learned it from Diana or another Amazon, so Diana 16 may also be able to do it.

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Quite rare for OL to get a phone call, isn't it? Presumably a mundane acquaintance, since those he considers allies would have other ways of getting in touch. Or else he's about to give one hell of a phone interview, again.

Ah, Chas. Constantine's regular driver, old buddy and rare survivor of some of his cases.

If they went there, I suspect Renee would kill him for other reasons. If you know what I mean? ;)

Ah, OL, you grow wise in the ways of relationships at last: You don't argue with the missus' decisions.

Should think it's be pretty close to number one by now. And long overdue.

Ah, yes. This will be interesting.

A reminder: Cheryl Masters. Can't remember if we've seen her in story yet, but it probably would have been during the Split. I remember OL checking in on Gemma... And gaining his second Construct Lantern.

Yeah, when in doubt, call backup.

It'd be a rare human who didn't lose someone related to them during the Sheeda thing.

Said mother is the reason John even met Chas - she ran a hotel he stayed at for a time, and was a black witch.

You bet your bippy your experience is atypical. :p Most people don't get to die twice at all.

:eek: Wait, OL recognising he might be a bit too blunt for his own good? Are we looking at an alternate universe?

Not likely, given the criteria are pretty hard to hit. Sometimes. Things are really inconsistent on that front.

More notably, did he have a chance to repent his sins, or the like? I assume he was Protestant...

Vague, but slightly reassuring. About as good as you can manage, OL. Points for trying.

Sounds unlikely, on the Celtic front... More likely he got snatched up by the Silver City... Or the other place.

Best to generalise on the non-Christian front. I don't think Chas is in the mood for lessons on comparative mythology/religion.

Just don't go trying necromancy, you know how the Angels are about that.

Kind of hard to sugar-coat that you basically own a Lord of Hell. Especially if Chas knows what that means from Johnny-boy.

Saying 'yeah, he's okay... For a Lord of Hell.' Is kind of awkward, huh?

Not that they know him beyond 'The Cake Man', I guess.

It's better to not know and hope, than ask and have those hopes dashed.

Should you be more worried about that, or...

...Huh, she's actually found something to foil Empathic Vision? I'm guessing it applies to other mental interactions too. No doubt Manhunter has an exception written in.

Holy shit, someone actually took OL's advice without a world-ending crisis or near-fatal change of heart? :confused: Colour me shocked!

Ha! Good thing OL has a Power Ring, or he'd need some cream for that burn. :D

So, looks like we might be getting to the meat of the episode, then. Presumably, the search for John Constantine. What's the bet that OL runs all over the world poking his nose into some nasty corners, and slapping down anything that tries to bite it off... Only for John to step out of a shadowy alley after he's given up and ask if 'he's done running around like a headless chook?' :p Because that would be a very chaotically Constantine thing to do.

3. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

But understatement is near the top of the list.

Vorian, Caerwen, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I just realized. Shouldn't that say Illustres? Or is he using what people on Earth would be more likely to remember? Also, if that's not a mistake, 'four' should be capitalized.

I believe we first saw her in Episode 110: Maladaptive, when Paul goes to pick up Gemma so that they can meet the mysterious person, later revealed to be Richard Simpson, who said he know where her uncle John was.

That seems a bit much. I'd say they're more allies of convenience than a superior and subordinate position. Paul mentioned that if he tried to make Mammon do something he really wouldn't want to do that the demon could undo the alterations put on his, I'm not sure what to call it. Would it be 'soul', or something else since he's a naturally formed demon? Metaphysique I guess?

No, they know him more than that. Though they probably see him as someone to avoid if they don't need him, similar to John.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    ChestBurster, Vorian, zeebza and 8 others like this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

His allies may also just prefer the phone.

In the TV show they gave an explanation for how he survived so long.

He basically has more than one life.

It was a frankly perfect explanation.

The guy is faithful to his wife.

I think she dhowed up during the Tech god episode.

Tgough that could have just been her husband.

Maybe Common Sense Paul has merging with him.

Well, Paul doesn't own him so much as influenced him that one time.

ChestBurster, Doccer, zeebza and 4 others like this.
  6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

The thing with John Constantine is he is like a canary in a coal mine. If he falls of the perch, as it were, everyone's in deep shit.

7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I'm sorry?
    A small amount of absolute blackness.
    She's actively exploring her arcane abilities. She could probably do it, but that's the sort of thing you don't want to leave to chance.

Thank you, corrected.
    Not in All His Engines.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Corrected it.

Basically with magic becoming more widespread it's likely that some forms may be illegal due to their dangers, like necromancy.

Well, shit.

Maybe we'll be seeing some black light shenanigans.

ChestBurster and Prince Charon like this.
  9. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Mr Zoat are there any actual laws regarding magic? or are they all still being worked on?

ChestBurster likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Yes, lots. Some of them even make sense. Most of them aren't up to date.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

For example, Paul used an obscure British law about magic to legally justify his murder of Nabu.

12. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

Diana's not a goddess, she's a Titan. Kronos' youngest sister.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's more or less the same thing.

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Titans were described as being more primordial, with the proper birth of one having devastating effects on the world they are born on. Since I can't think of Diana being like that, I assume she will become something akin to a goddess.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

According to Zoat, Titans were born directly from the Dreaming, while the likes of the Olympians were born from the thaumosphere.

Diana may be like the Olympians in that regard, though she could be metaphysically a Titan, but if she ascends then her not coming directly from the Dreaming could mean she won't affect the world in the way a Titan coming directly from the Dreaming would.

16. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

I have to say, I really enjoy the alternate Pauls. I know that we only get small pieces of their stories. But I do hope that before you complete With This Ring we will get a sort of timeline for each one that shows not only what we did see but also what we missed. Also it's nice knowing that Paul is taking Hordak very seriously and plans to deal with him.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  17. Threadmarks: Vantavendi (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

20th October 2012
    15:06 GMT -5

"Really?" I frown. "Because Gotham's so safe that no one feels the need to learn self-defence any more?"

Ted Grant grumps.

"No. Just boxing. Kids are all about 'mixed martial arts' and 'krav manga' these days."

I don't laugh, because this is important to him, and he's very old without any rejuvenation effects.

"Last time I checked, the classes were oversubscribed. And not with henchmen; half of the new people are either from the Alliance or the Congregation. They're keeping all the exercise equipment, but the boxing ring's getting thrown out. It's just not my gym anymore."

"Ted, way back when you started boxing, were there people in your neighbourhood who were critical of you for putting on padded gloves before you punched people?"

"Aaaaaaah..?" He looks a little uncertain, but rallies quickly. "Not if they wanted to keep all their teeth."

"Look, fashions change. Just be happy that the gym's still going, and… Maybe when fashion changes again, it'll go back to incorporating more traditional boxing."

"Sure, but I'm not gunna see that, am I?"

"Should I just nod and smile, or do you actually want to talk about how to bind your soul to the gym?"

Diana theatrically mantles her eyes with her right hand.

"Paul."

"Everyone has a right to their preferred afterlife service provider. I don't see the appeal, but I'm not Mister Grant."

"My choice, huh?" He shrugs. "What are my other options?"

"I highly recommend Erebos. You're guaranteed to have your full mental faculties preserved, and that's not a service most entry level afterlives offer."

"'Entry level? Who do you think I am?!"

"Someone who hasn't paid particular homage to any pagan gods at any point during his life. At this point you're almost certainly bound for Heaven, which… I've been, I don't recommend it, but I'm not you."

"I don't know. I could do with some peace and tranquillity."

"Could you? Would you honestly say that you prefer your peaceful dotage-"

His eyes narrow. "Watch it."

"-to your physically active youth? In Heaven, you're literally put out to pasture until you rise above all of your base instincts and fully unify with the Source. In Erebos, you-."

Ah…

"At the moment, you'd join the back of a very long queue, before eventually-."

"Sounds like poor service provision to me. Why not just open more lanes?"

"Because the Greek divines have gotten used to no one needing them for anything, and need substantial retraining in order to bring them up to the skill level required."

I don't know why Lord Hades instituted a separate judge for blondes, but they can now join the unified queue system like everyone else. That reform also got rid of the fast track for mortal heroes, but I don't think that will be a selling point here.

"But full sophoncy would be restored prior to judgement, and you would be free to converse with others in the queue, or with duly licensed necromancers."

He smiles. "Are you getting commission on this?"

"I tried dating the owner's daughter once. Also, I'm a service-user myself."

"Oh, that's how it is."

"I wouldn't try and sell a product I wasn't prepared to use myself. Ultimately, I will receive exactly the same service provision as you, though I might benefit from the… Ah."

"Time gap?"

"Greater degree of service-provision experience the judges will have acquired by then."

"Hm. Go back to the judgement bit. What sort of sentences do they hand down?"

"The laws of the Greek Gods are mostly self-absorbed. The most serious punishments are doled out to people who've really gotten on their bad side."

Which is why I think that Hades will 'forget' about my case for as long as he can get away with.

"Which means that your comparative lack of interaction is actually to your advantage; none of them have any reason to dislike you. Furthermore, punishments are guaranteed to be finite in duration and clearly explained to the punishee."

"Pushing a rock up a hill is probably pretty good exercise."

"They don't do that one anymore. Too many loopholes. And whatever happens in the Punishment Fields-"

"That's what they call it?"

"-since you don't have a corporeal body any longer, there's no real lasting consequence. Plus, it's a bonding activity. Everyone who's in Erebos has been through it."

"Oh. Like boot camp. That's just-."

Red mist surges up from the ground about three metres away from us-

I frown at Diana as the three of us rise, medium armour appearing around my body. "You warded yourself and not the building?"

"The building is warded, but I'm a demigoddess. I take certain magic easier than bricks and mortar."

Dozen of magic users use various 'mists' as part of their transportation spells, and if this is a Lord of Chaos then I-. Diana's here. I'll talk to them, but it will be the Ophidian and me doing the talking together.

A woman -oh no- wearing a long leather coat strides out of the mist like some sort of Matrix extra, two handguns rising up and aiming despite the red blindfold across her eyes. Crimson Avenger 2, whose name I don't know-

Scan doesn't work so I can't find out.

-and who I remember from the comic tried to kill Ted for falsifying evidence which led to a man being executed for a crime he didn't commit. Or rather, did kill him several times, which he survived due to having eight extra lives.

Ours doesn't have that.

Diana steps forward, interposing herself between the armed woman she doesn't recognise and…

Oh. A little harsh, but mostly fair.

Me, because she doesn't want me killing whoever this is.

"I am Diana, Princess of-."

The guns come up and fire!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

If I recall correctly, Diana thought of herself more as an empowered Amazon than a demigoddess. Mr Zoat, when did she start admitting to herself that's she is one? And is this part of why she can now use more esoteric abilities?

I'm uncertain how things are going to progress now. I wonder if this will be another opportunity for Paul to reveal knowledge he's dug up and not told anyone. I'd be happy to see him give exposition on what's happening, to the surprise of his audience, if that's the case.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I will point out, Paragon knows this isn't true, and its kind of amazing that Diana isn't calling him out on it given SHE WAS ACTUALLY THERE.

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    It's been a gradual process.

22. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Then please do inform us of what actually happened.

Ardy and Xmaster3000 like this.
  23. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

She had a baby, ate it, and let the baby break their way out of her skull instead of puking them out like a Titan would.

ChestBurster, Rebu, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ha! Despite Batman's deepest wish, that'll never happen. Though I wonder what brought them to visit Ted Grant. On the other hand, 'grump' is a good description of his usually behaviour, at least in the modern age. Joy of being in his 90s.

No doubt he's refused any offer. Wildcat always struck me as one to not try and stretch things beyond 'his fair shake.'

Indeed. Way back at the turn of the 1900s, boxing was a bare-knuckle affair. But authorities got sick of people dying. Yes, I know, people argue over whether gloves are safer... Let's not work that punching bag, shall we?

...Ehhh. Not with the popularity of UFC-style competitions...

Oh, that'd be pleasant. Having a ghostly Ted hanging around grousing about people's striking technique.

Bet she hasn't missed that in the time since she last worked with him.

Please, don't tell me OL has a brochure...

Surely he'd deserve the Hero package. ...The good hero, not the asshole hero pack.

Unfortunately, unless you get into the bit of Heaven comics Green Arrow spent time in until 'Quiver', it's not all lounging on clouds and ogling cute angels.

True, he hardly needs anyone doting on him. Because that's what that word basically actually means: Caring for the old or infirm...

I suspect OL is a bit biased, because of his unpleasant personal experience...

Because there's only so many Judges to go around. And I doubt Hades has that many candidates to train up new ones.

...If it were any other God, I might think he's taking a personal interest in the blondes. But I'm guessing it was a regional thing.

Hey, I'm sure anything that gets a good word in with Hades...

"I'm not just an employee, I'm also a client!" Though this is hardly the Hair Club For Men...

To be honest, if OL ever dies permanently, it will likely be a long, long time from now. And it's not likely to mean he'll stay that way.

Ah, well... I'm sure you've heard of a few of them. Tantalus... Sisyphus... Pirithous... Well, that last one isn't as well known. Thank you, Overly Sarcastic productions!

And why he has once-mortal judges for the little people.

...You might be the only guy to think of it that way. Not so much fun if there's a Fury or similar behind you lashing you to work.

I'm sure the name is more stylish in the original Attican Hellenic, but... Being a Chtonic deity means a lot of Hades' cult is a Mystery, forgotten today.

Minus the screaming drill sergeants. Maybe?

Oh, this looks familiar...

And if they don't play nice... Well, I'm sure Best Snek will enjoy the meal.

One of the few women to bear the name...

...That you know of? I mean, a guy's got to have some secrets after 90 years...

Well, you do have a lot of blood red in your ledger. And I doubt that gets wiped clean each time you revive.

Notably, she bears the cursed handguns which symbolise the name. They have no trigger, and hunger for the deaths of those involved in the deaths of the innocent unjust killings. Their bullets can pierce mundane, super-human and mystical defences... So Diana might not want to tank them.

Oh, boy. This can't bode well. The big question, is who is she here for? Yes, Ted technically has blood on his hands, but so do Diana and OL. On the up side, I don't foresee OL or Diana letting the young lady's condition stand for long. Though I doubt anything so prosaic as a Mage-Slayer will be enough to destroy the Guns. I suppose we'll see tomorrow, with some guns akimbo action.

The most serious punishments are doled out to people...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Heck, a few months ago there was a debate about boxing safety on this site.

No, I don't think she has.

You know damn well that he could have one.

I don't think the ancient Greeks made a distinction.

I don't think Oliver would ogle angels.

Granted, according to Peacemaker and Economos, Green Arrow is an MLP fan and goes to conventions dressed in the back half of a Twilight Sparkle costume, so who knows what goes on in his head.

More than a bit.

The three judges are in charge of people from specific continents, so most likely.

Sisyphus from Hades may also think that.

Though that's not fully accurate, since the man Ted framed wasn't innocent.

Yep.

ChestBurster, Ardy, zeebza and 4 others like this.
  26. Mr Zoat

Eighty something years.
    No, they hunger for the death of murderers. The victims certainly don't have to have been innocent.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Yes, but they also think that Superman has a shit-fetish.
    That's a mistranslation. They claim different ethnic groups.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey, Google may not always be right, but if Aquaman's sturgeon-fetish wasn't just a rumor, then who knows what else isn't just a rumor.

28. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Not sure about which is safer,, but from what I've heard, it was more about the matches being over too soon. Bad for betting.

29. Nugar

Nugar Not too sore, are you?

I don't remember what he did to piss off Hades. What's up with this?

Silveraith likes this.
  30. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Would a antimagic/mageslayer round overcome an immortality enchantment?