1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Sinestro gave a potential recruit a temporary ring to see what he'd do. Said potential recruit decided to see what Paul would do in a situation that he personally would find petrifying, and saw Paul wreck everything in his way. Sinestro didn't intend to even have anything more to do with the OLC, so them obliquely interacting was a complete coincidence. We can decide who can beat who if we ever see Paul and Sinestro interact and/or fight.

2. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

sound -> sounding

Good point!

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

See your post above.

Maybe it's both.

To be fair, they lack knowledge of the Lights and don't possess magic yet, plus when if they get it, it may take a while for them to understand the Spectrum.

Me too.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, he got a legitimate job as a sound engineer, not a legitimate sounding job as an engineer.

Bramble Thorn, Wivk, Vorian and 5 others like this.
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, when did Paul ever use Dame Carol Ferris' power ring?

6. Mr Zoat

For a couple of minutes off camera, just to demonstrate that he could.

7. Galler

Galler Not too sore, are you?

I'm fairly sure he did so on screen but with the alternate Carol and with the Star Sapphire.

He also needed to use a Violet ring during the Infinite Pauls episodes. That may have been a better example as he couldn't rely on his Orange Ring and had to do so for more than a few minutes.

8. Mr Zoat

Even better!

9. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

I may be wrong about this, but isn't the use of white light micromanaged by the life entity? When I looked it up, it sounded like the only times that white light was used in any meaningful fashion was with the life entity's approval. It might also explain why white rings never seem to stick around past the moment when they are needed. If this is the case, Paul probably should have told that to his students. Lest they decide to reach for a power that they can never actually depend on or control.

Vaermina, Vorian, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  10. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

I still want Starfire (Koriand'r) to switch to a Blue Lantern full time.
    I don't think Orange suits her at all.

She'd probably me much more effective with a Blue Lantern ring, spreading hope everywhere she goes.

[​IMG]

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

When she first put on Alan's ring she was able to effortlessly use it, so yeah.

ChestBurster, Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  12. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Paul can't make another blue ring without killing Sinestro. The Weaponer said he would need something to in return for making it and the only thing he wants is the head of the man who betrayed him.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

The SI could get another blue ring without killing Sinestro. He just couldn't get it from Kalmin.

14. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

How? And from who?

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

My answer's a bit facetious, but given there are hundreds of unaligned Maltusians apparently not doing anything in the wider universe, try finding one of them whose nature aligns well with Hope. I don't know the circumstances that led to Ganthet founding the Blue Lanterns in the comics but I believe it was due at least in part to the Guardians being evil/corrupt/incompetent/etc. which doesn't really seem to be what Zoat's going for in his story.

Out of curiosity, does Kalmin carry gear or have some other protection against branding/assimilation? I assume he does but I don't know what shape it would take, exactly.

What's Captain Comet up to in the Paragon timeline now that Colu is free and Vega is relatively chill? Not sure if his intelligence and other abilities would be useful when we already have Dox and the Sivana kids (though honestly, figuring out a mass teleport into the core of the Reach Empire for the telepathic Martian gestalt and just fucking things up for the Hivemasters a bunch doesn't seem like the worst idea).

16. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Eh, red's not so much a problem.
    "Rarrrgh! It tore my heart out!"
    "That's a problem."
    "Okay, gimme my orange ring back."
    "But you have no heart. You'll die."
    "Then I'll really want a working heart, won't I!"

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'they haven't' or 'hasn't occupied'

Plus I think Zoat mentioned that Ganthet stopped his pursuit of creating a Blue Ring after he found out about Alan.

I know he took the hammer he used to make Sinestro's ring.

Blake is most likely to help organize Earth and maybe helping Ted Kord.

Dox and the Sivana's may be intelligent but they're not fully focused on improving Earth.

Dox is busy with the Reach and most of the Sivanas aren't exactly reliable.

Plus the Sivanas may not be of much help in organizing a society since aside from Georgia they're not really interested in those types of things.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No, you're absolutely correct.

But keep in mind, Paragon likes making stuff up to sound smart.

19. Threadmarks: Versus the Rake Men (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Versus the Rake Men

21st year of the reign of King Randor I
    Season of Chill
    307th day, 15th bell

Teela Na, better known to the small parts of Eternos that actually know she exists as The Sorceress, hesitates at the edge of the drawbridge out of Castle Grayskull.

"Do I have to fricking carry you out?"

"…" Clearly, yes. I step-. "No. It has simply been a long time since I have left the Castle grounds."

Since it matters so much to both her and the control spells acting on the Castle, I'm wearing the Basophil Amulet openly. Technically, I'm about to become The Sorcerer, for… All of an evening. Or possibly all evening, all night and all morning if Sir Duncan's luckier than I think he is. I'd be nervous if it wasn't for the fact that we've killed, captured or shoved into a tesseract prison just about everyone who might think about having a go at us.

So clearly Hordak's about to turn up.

"You're not going to leave by standing there. I'm not at anything like your level, but I'm pretty sure I can hold the fort for a few hours."

"That's not my concern."

I grin, stepping a little closer to pointedly intrude in her personal space. "Of course, if you've reconsidered choosing Sir Duncan over me, then you're welcome to stay. I'm sure that we can find something to occupy the time."

"I have not, and I don't think that my apprentice would appreciate it if I did."

"Oh, she'd understand. Beauty fades, raw arcane power lasts. She'd probably make the same decision herself." I take a moment to consider her relationship with the late and unlamented Keldor. "Did, really."

She's still not moving.

"I can go to Zalesia and fetch The Faceless One if you'll accept that instead."

"Evil-Lyn would never forgive you that slight, either."

"She'd be angry. But she's got a lot of anger in her. Honestly, having both of them talk out their differences in a mystically hardened fortress might be best for both of them. But you're still prevaricating."

"I am." She turns and holds out her staff to me horizontally. "I entrust you with the Power of Grayskull. May you wield it wisely."

There are flippant comments I could make. 'Don't do anything I wouldn't do' or 'I have the power' or something. But this is a big deal. Two years it took me to get her to this point, plus all the years of isolation before that.

So I raise my hands palms upwards, grip the staff and bow low to her.

"Thank you for trusting me with this. It's yours again the moment you return."

She lets go, her fingertips lingering on the shaft for a moment before finally pulling away. And I brace myself, because-.

Golden light flows from the staff into my Amulet, the intensity building as power flows back and forth and I.. feel.. a.. strange pressure.. building inside me, as if I'm being gradually squeezed into some new shape. It's not… Painful, exactly, but-.

A flare and the light dims. And I take a look at the damage it's done to my clothes. Oh, rats. Tasteful orange and gold has been replaced by turquoise and bronze. A small mercy that I haven't grown wings, but-.

I look up as I straighten up. Yes, I have a turban… Thing, though it's far smaller than the headdress that the Sorceress wears. Well, this is a temporary appointment, and I know far less about magic than she does.

"Grayskull has accepted you. And now…"

"Now you've completely run out of excuses. Good night, Ms Na."

A deep breath and she leaps into the air, transforming into a bird with a screech as she flies in the direction of Eternos.

Finally.

"Castle, would you please raise the-"

The mechanism is already clanking, pulleys turning as the drawbridge is pulled closed, the only crossing to the moat-trench now resting against the Castle's mouth.

"-drawbridge, thank you."

I turn away and start down the corridor. In theory, I should be able to teleport anywhere in the castle with only a slight drain on its power, but… Teleportation is one of those things that can go hilariously wrong and I don't really want to start experimenting without supervision.

So would books on Hordak be under 'H', or am I going to have to search through the histories and diaries for snippets that are actually useful? I mean…

I glance at the head of the staff.

In theory the Castle should be pretty helpful now. Hopefully, I can just ask for the relevant passages and… Summarise them. I can't ring-scan these books, but copying text I can see is easy enough. A nice quiet and extremely informative evening-.

"'She'd probably make the same decision herself'?"

Evelyn stands at the library doorway, arms folded across her chest and the glowing marks of her geas visible on her bare arms and legs. She's wearing a turquoise and bronze recoloured version of her old purple and black garb, a small duplicate of the bird on the head of my staff replacing the old skull on her headdress.

"Wouldn't you?"

"I might have done if I realised that she was considering giving the staff to a neophyte like you."

"That's the point. She doesn't need to trust me, because she knows that I couldn't fight her off."

"She left at your behest. Clearly she trusts you more than you think."

"There's a difference between 'on balance I think this person is trustworthy' and 'I trust this person with my life's work'. You're used to manipulating magic. She'd have to trust you more before putting you in the same position."

She nods. "Are you planning on doing something while her attention is elsewhere? On this, the eve of the Festival of Love?"

"Yes, I'm-" I point to the bookshelves on the other side of the door. "-planning to-"

"While you have control of my binding geas?"

"-do some reading." She arches her eyebrows. "Evelyn, the fact that I control your geas at the moment is the reason why I'm not going to do anything. I still remember that con you tried to run on Mister Blak."

"Which I still don't know how you foiled."

"We don't all think with our testicles, Evelyn."

She's not going to move, is she? A test of will? Dominance? An attempt to better discern the nature of my character? Best to just toss Gordon's knot back to him, I think.

I hold the staff out to the side and leave it floating there while I transition past her into the library proper. I then hold my right hand out while walking towards the closest reading desk, the staff smacking into my palm a moment later.

"Tell me: do you know anything about Keldor's old boss, Hordak?"

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'transforming'

Remove 'not'.

22. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Ah, a nice palette cleanser for the abomination that is Revelation, excellent.

Also, nice on our boy being genre savvy. Of course the one night the Sorceress leaves for [literally any reason], a big bad will immediately and dramatically reveal itself.

23. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

transforming

now

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I remember only watching the 2002 He-Man series a little, but what's been shown here is very interesting. Evil-Lyn having a geas on her is probably because this version of Paul did something. Mr Zoat, how did he get her captured? Also, what is the local Orange Lantern called here?

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  25. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm fairly sure there was a segment on this Paul back during... I want to say the big Sheeda event that happened? IIRC Evil-Lyn had already been captured, he just did what he could to try and redeem her, which is probably where the geas came from.

Jaron, ChestBurster, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  26. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I have no idea what any of this was about.

27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    The Faceless One just gets hungry, sometimes.
    In a setting with someone called Man at Arms and Ram Man, they're pretty comfortable called him Orange Lantern.
    The incident with Mr. Blok. The SI found out about it and ambushed her. She thought that she was safe because the vault was protected against magic users, which she assumed that he was.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The geas is in place to make sure she doesn't do anything against Paul's group.

Basically, Paul offered her the opportunity to train under the Sorceres so she could eventually take her place, but in exchange she had to be bound so they can make sure she doesn't try anything.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    Jaron, ChestBurster, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  29. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

The new 3D CGI series was great, imo. Though I say that as someone juuust too young to properly remember the original.

ChestBurster, BR549 and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ooh, another visit to Eternia, and our unlucky Paul stuck in the He-Man 2002 remake. So, what hilarity shall we get up to today? Skeletor plotting? Snake-men invading? Hordak turning up? :confused: ...The Sorceress getting laid?

...So, Duncan named his daughter after her mother? Well, not the first time anyone's done that.

x3 Girl. This could be the first chance you get to visit your man in years. Do not pass this up!

Hell, we know Duncan is a lucky, lucky man. If this night goes as well as we hope it does, he'll have trouble walking in the morning. :D

Ah, Lantern, Genre Savvy as ever. Or paranoid. In either case, it's entirely appropriate for such a world of adventure.

...Dude, aren't you dating someone else here?

That apprentice being 'Evil-lyn', by context. Quite the upgrade from being Skeletor's gun-moll, eye-candy and right-hand woman.

A look like that smacks of some serious magical backlash. The question is, could he come, being bound to the city?

Hey, wouldn't you be angry if you grew up basically alone in a cursed city, with only your equally-cursed father for company? I mean, look how she dressed before she met Keldor.

Besides, 'I have the Power' is He-man's line. I'd expect you to have more class than that muscle-bound chucklehead.

Chances that may be some time? High.

Ha! Magical transformations just seem to run in the Greyskull style, don't they?

For some reason, I picture him looking rather egyptian. Specifically, a Champions character named Doctor Ka (Who even has a 'wings' costume piece for players' use.) In terms of style, if not features.

Go, enjoy this brief time with your love. Castle Greyskull will hopefully be here when you get back.

Break out the beer-bong and Yard-glasses! Time to par-tay!

Putting the place in lockdown. Proper paranoia in full swing.

You expect them to organise the grand library of Greyskull? ...You know, this would be the perfect time to apply the Dewey decimal system, or something...

Do you really trust whatever spirits operate the castle to be helpful?

I'm guessing she's only partly reformed so far, hence the mystical bindings to guarantee her loyalty. Still, maybe changing her look might help? I doubt a skeletal ribcage bustier is all that friendly-looking.

At least the Sorceress can trust him not to mess with it.

Well, 'trust' is a funny word, after all.

The local equivalent of Valentines' day, then. I bet more than a few people have a birthday some nine months after this date. :D

...Oh, so you want him to have some fun with you? The kind that involves being bound and helpless, perhaps? Kinky.

It's called 'pattern recognition', and is apparently a talent in short supply around here...

To be fair, with her looks, and taste in clothing, I'm sure she's used to seeing naked lust in men's eyes. Probably why she's interested in the Lantern.

Probably not as much as you might assume? Hordak may not be subtle, but he can be sneaky. Though if things had gone as they originally would, she would have been working to summon him.

Well, I can but wish the (temporarily former) Sorceress enjoys her night off. :p May she pulverise Duncan's hips in the most pleasant way possible. Would be amusing if Teela (the younger) walked in on them, but that might be a bit traumatic. Though hopefully not as traumatic as the Lantern being in charge of Greyskull in the meantime. Here's hoping all the rogues of Eternia are too busy having their own parties to try anything.