1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    I'm not sure I'd even go that far. Alkyone's social skills aren't the best.
    Yes, though not until near the end of the episode.
    There's a limit to what one man can manage,
    Ambrose was using brigade to refer to a group of like-minded people. The SI was referring to a formal organisation.
    No, it should. The AI usually responds out loud if spoken to out loud, and inside if thought at.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Not for years.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Hippolyta, for trusting the emissary of a brutish, barbaric male demigod.
    Something like that.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yep, she's a TV personality now.

We actuallysaw her and Paul talk about Adam Blake on her stage.

And that may be more true in the following chapters.

Which is fair.

Zeus probably hasn't had to do much actual work in a long time, so it may be taking him time make decisions.

Or that may be normal for gods.

Remember, they're immortal, so a few moths may not be all that much time for them.

It may not necessarily be something he set up to take out Paul.

It's possible that he's genuinely worried about the Titans having further influence.

To be fair, despite Paul's caution and preparedness, he can still go into situations without much info.

Yes, perfectly fine.

Nothing to see there.

Cuchulin, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I thought they left the mainland for Themyscira because the gods told them to? I seem to remember you saying that in the past.

I'd like to see her meet the Citizenry then. They're the perfect representation of what she thinks is how the world should work would actually look like. Bonus points if they tell her that if she doesn't impress them, she'll be made part of their porridge.

Bud-E likes this.
  4. Mr Zoat

They left the mainland to an island they were guided to by the gods after the old city was defeated and conquered.

5. TodaBruh

TodaBruh Fiction is life's spice <( ̄︶ ̄)↗

Such a bro!

Ardy likes this.
  6. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

I mean, not getting involved with a guy who can easily crush you has served him well this far...

But the old Greek gods were a bit rapey and willing to do some pretty horrible shit, I would avoid all modern superheroes just on principle if I had that kind of back history.

mastermenthe and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

"Tartarus has existed for eons and eons; I'm sure it will be fine for another half an hour while I finish my pizza!"

8. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

I think that she did, I seem to recall something like that when he tried to set her a date.

Also are we sure it was Zeus and not somebody pretending to be Zeus to get Diana out of the way ? Or into the pit ?

Doccer, Chojin Patriarch and Bud-E like this.
  9. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Oh that series is amazing. It's probably too much to expect a Paul that will encounter the crazy Gauls/Gaulois. But I am curious, is there anybody in this thread who knows the series Asterix? And if so which book was your favorite?

Doccer and Xelloss like this.
  10. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Good idea but the amazons especially Diana have interacted with Gods a lot so it would take some especially skilled to trick them.

11. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Pretty much all the books written by René Goscinny are good. Sadly since his death, the scenario quality dropped significantly.

Astérix and Cleopatra is of course a classic, both the comic and the animated version.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    BrotherofaStudio likes this.
  12. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

On one hand I agree with you, but on the other he is a man, and that implies some behavioral expectations for them.

Chojin Patriarch, Ngamer11 and Ardy like this.
  13. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

So much for no new projects.
    Whatever spell work being made to keep Paul from looking into Constantine must be working overtime.

14. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Perhaps it isn't a trenchcoat brigade. Perhaps it's a trenchcoat conspiracy.

15. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

If it is Paul should call Question and see if he can help figure it out.

Doccer, Ardy and Ngamer11 like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

He'd have to investigate himself.

I mean, he'd try, but...

17. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

I quite agree, it is a particularly good one. But I find that Asterix en Corse might surpass it with certain scenes.

Xelloss and Doccer like this.
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Well, that sure didn't take long.

Patrick Holt and DAT_NOOB like this.
  19. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

(Replying to Vaermina)

Now I just have to wonder, is there some magic effect on earth preventing people from looking for John or is it a conspiracy by someone (possibly John) preventing people from looking for John.

20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Constantine is the Laughing Magician probability itself bends for him.

He is the Fool, unlimited potential, luck and improvisation are on his side.

Sadly the same cannot be said about his friends and loved ones, which is why they are seemingly in a contest for who can find the newest and most gruesome way to die.

Synchronicity Wave Travelling is just the active form of that.

The fact that he can con gods and demons with stunts that a 13 year old would see through would be the passive form of that.

Golden Boy seemingly spanked probability until it called him daddy since he was declared the most powerful magus in the world and wasn't he king of England or ruler or the world or something?

21. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

So option A then?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  22. Threadmarks: Coup Data (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

27th October 2012
    06:21 GMT +3

"Zagreus?" I frown at the hunt-god. "That's a little… Heavily armed for you, isn't it? Are you hunting dragons or something?"

His normal hunting gear has been replaced by a mixture of orichalcum plate and… Scaly leather? I'm assuming that the donor was some sort of mythological creature, probably the same one that donated his cloak. A bandoleer of knives, two short swords-. Gladiuses, a Colt single-action army revolver and an AK-47. That's not 'today we're hunting wabbits', that's 'I could totally take Kratos'.

"Just… In case Diana finds anything concerning. I've never hunted a titan before, and I wouldn't dare to be less than fully equipped should she call for aid."

I look away for a moment, down towards the queue of souls still awaiting judgement, then over to the new settlement built not too far from the palace. The 'foreign quarter', for souls who have other afterlives they'd rather go to but are staying here until some sort of transfer can be arranged. It's an interesting mix of architectural styles, though they've clearly compromised in some areas due to not having access to some types of more advanced materials.

"Is that likely? I mean, Cronus has been down there for a very long time and hasn't really achieved all that much."

"True, but Zeus was there when they were bound and has wisdom that we lack."

"Zeus's 'wisdom' doesn't even remind him to put a condom on while playing away after Hera put him in the last chance saloon."

"Ahhhh…" Zagreus awkwardly looks up towards Erebos's false sky. "Perhaps you could avoid insulting the King of Olympus when in the domains of Greek myth. It's usually not conducive to health and long life."

"He shot me with lightning, Zagreus. I'm not planning on doing anything about it, but I haven't forgotten it. If he wants my respect then he can pull his finger out, do something with his life and stop sending my friends and mentors off on pointless busywork quests."

Zagreus takes a deep breath.

"Are you familiar with the concept of nemesis?"

"Colloquially, a person's greatest enemy. Traditionally, it was the source of destruction the hero of a story created by their actions. Anger the gods and you make enemies. Eventually, one of them bests you. It exists to remind even the powerful that they can be brought low and that they should remember the virtues even if they can maintain their position without needing to."

"Quite. So-."

"You think I'm Zeus's nemesis? The natural consequence of his bad behaviour?" I shake my head. "I'm not sure that follows, and real life is seldom like the plays."

Zagreus looks at me despondently for a moment, then nods with a sigh.

"You are of course free to travel into Tartarus. I don't know exactly where Diana is, but I'm sure you can get directions from the Hekatonkheires. Or perhaps the other inmates."

"Thank you. All the best to Melinoë."

He nods as I rise into the air, heading 'east north east' towards the gateway into Tartarus. Not sure what the weapons were really in aid of. I've been… Assuming that efforts to fight a titan in purely material space were more or less doomed to failure, but I suppose that he might be able to do a little better with godly magic than I managed against Oceanus.

Despite the enlarged population, Erebos looks much the same as normal. I wave down at the orchards as I pass over them, though I doubt that anyone at ground level can see me. The rivers, the blasted plain, the… New road going up to the Fields of Punishment. And the people walking it don't exactly look unhappy. Walking in either direction, I should say. I suppose that knowing their punishment has a definite end helps? Or maybe they're masochists who pled guilty or something, I don’t know.

No trouble getting the door open, and there's the inky void that I remember from my last visit. However, my increased familiarity with the Ophidian's empathic abilities means that while conventional light is denied to me, I can navigate using the wisps of feeling… Is that Tartarus itself, or left over from the inmates? Diana's trail stands out, and while I can't see where my navigational feeler filaments are I can still feel them. She's not going particularly fast, which makes sense as while her senses are acute, they're not supernatural. She's stuck with normal sound and light like the rest of us. Not that I think that, say, a kryptonian's vision would provide much benefit in here.

"Who goes there?"

"Hail, Wonder Woman!"

A burst of sonic energy gets me a 'look' at her. Looks like she's in her standard Wonder Woman corset, and holding… A dense hand, which is pointing in the direction she was travelling. As she turns towards my voice the hand moves so that the pointing finger remains extended in the same direction.

Useful.

"Paul. Why are you here?"

"Thought we could get this done faster if I helped. Can I offer you a lift?"

Sonic scans show her bow her head slightly.

"This is not about speed."

"Right, it's about thoroughness. But you can't see in here. I can-" I fabricate an echolocation headset. "-help with that, even if I don't know what this place is supposed to look like."

"Paul, do you-?" I nudge her in the shoulder with the headset and she takes it, feeling around it to work out what it's for before putting it over her head. She takes a moment to look around before focusing on me. "Thank you. Paul, do you understand what is meant by religious faith?"

Ah

"Compliance with the will of what the believer believes to be a higher power?"

"Lord Zeus has given this task to me. I appreciate that you want to help, but I am the person it was given to."

"But-."

"Your mercenary approach to religion isn't normal. Do you understand that?"

"Yes, but-! It's Zeus! He's not exactly inscrutable."

"Even if he does not choose to live in accordance with the highest virtues at all times, Lord Zeus is a god. He is aware of the universe in ways that neither of us can comprehend."

"I'm not sure that's true for either of us." I sigh, looking away and shaking my head. "You really think you've got to do this on your own?"

"I do."

"Okay. Okay, fine. Have fun, or religious enlightenment or whatever."

I shake my head and I back away from her, then turn and fly at speed towards the gates. I mean… It's not impossible that Zeus is… I don't know, doing this to help her train her god-senses or something. I would be surprised, given Diana's lack of enthusiasm for that aspect of her power and him waiting this long to do something he could just have well done seventy years ago, but this sort of situation might do something like that. Not sure why it's suddenly become so urgent…

I pass through the gates and close them behind me. Okay. While I'm here-.

"Lantern?"

Akhlys walks towards me, looking pretty miserable but not as miserable as she used to. Her arms and legs clatter from the bracelets, armlets and other rune-inscribed charms I've had made for her, spells for promoting health and wellbeing and others that are designed to absorb sickness. The result is no better than a draw, but it's where we are now and Sephtian said that making them taught him a lot.

"Akhlys. Any worse?"

"No. Thank you for asking. I am very sorry about Diana."

"She's managing."

"Still. It is disgraceful that Zeus could not simply accept his rejection with good grace."

"I beg your pardon?"

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  23. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

want -> wants

Assblaster5000 and Mr Zoat like this.
  24. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Rage Paul: "Is that me? Is that me angrier than me?"

25. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

"Nuanced".
    Does Eris have her chaos senses tingling now?

26. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

It's been quite some time, but I'm glad to hear that Paul helped.

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I kind of appreciate the respect that Zagreus is showing Paul here. It's not often that people can look past how Paul genuinely wants to help people and the goofy things he sometimes does and realize that this is the guy who could probably depopulate a few planets if he really wanted to.

Oh. I hope that when Zeus shows up at the end that Paul is able to call on the Ophidian to give him a serious blow to his ego, and maybe his face too.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  28. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Ah, I see.

Zeus wanted to cosplay as Wonder Woman for the upcoming holiday, but Diana assumed he wanted her uniform on his floor. Clear as day.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If he's going into Tartarus, then that may be a possibility.

Now I'm reminded of a fic in which Kratos repeatedly kills Zag.

'finds'

True, but he's still managed to make Donna and done who knows what else.

'a condom'

He may not be wise in the sex departmen, but in other areas, like the Titans, he could be.

And unlike renegade, Paul lacks divine armor.

Assuming they don't try to crush him again.

We all know where this is going.

Yep.

Prepare yourself for looking at him like that, Zag.

Assuming they don't try anything.

Or heck, maybe any afterlife is preferable to them instead of being trapped on a planet.

'acute, they're'

Surprisingly insightful of the damn psychopath.

It's still insensitive and racist, but you really can't expect much from him.

You are both demigods at this point, so your senses would be better.

Though you two would be mire aware if things like thoughts and emotions, while Zeus would be better suited for the natural world.

Plus he's got several millenia on you two, so he would have developed his powers further.

Hey, you don't get to hog enlightenment.

Nice to see you actually helped her.

Ahh, of course.

30. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Soon...
    You and me, mano e mano, winner takes the pantheon