1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

I hope OL takes this as a teachable moment, and from now on makes sure some version of the healing ray (reversible switch or not, inbuilt into his armor or not) becomes part of his 'real space' load out.

Also, remember the original Robo Cop scene, where Murphy's gun was holstered inside his leg, but still accessible?
    Having a side arm inside his armor sounds a bit self defeating. Especially since I remember OL mentioning his usual armor doesn't have normal seams for putting on and taking off; it was made to be taken on and off by shunting it through subspace.

EDIT to add:
    Both OL and Renegade are forks of the same person.
    Any reason OL hasn't thought of stealthed drones as a to have more options without making the armor to large to go through doors?

Have a stockpile of nonmagical drones stored in subspace, a couple of which automatically get taken out when transitioning to a new scene.

Also, omitting the healing ray just seems dumb, on account of if being cut off from subspace becomes an issue, things have likely gone south, and the ability to heal would be a priority.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well this is really personal for JSI Alan.

Vorian, Caerwen and Ardy like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Every system added to the armour requires either the armour to be made bigger or something else to be taken out. The armour is there to tank a very limited number of attacks that bypass rings but not force fields or armour, and protect him while he retreats. It isn't supposed to be a general purpose combat rig, and isn't. The SI can't use Apokoliptian technology due to a) not having access to it and b) not being a New God.

4. LazySloth13

LazySloth13 Versed in the lewd.

Paul needs to do what Ironman does and build multiple suite for specific occasions while making his standby suit as modular as possible, so he equipped to do handle most situations he usually relies on his ring to handle, or just wear more rings in order to increase his battery capacity so the cost of subspace doesn't hamper his overall effectiveness. Maybe after dealing with this situation, not to mention see how things are on Earth-666 going to tell that version of Supergirl before taking her home, Paul should look into OMAC tech which Lex has been researching and combining it with Martian bio-tech so he has an armor that is similar to the Extremis or Endo-Sym armor.

Or finally capture an Reach scarab for his own use or for the Controllers and other researchers to study and build their own version, plus while Grayven has a sparky Sinestro AI imagine Paul dealing with his own version of Khaji Da.

Prince Charon and kerleth like this.
  5. xSieg

xSieg Making the rounds.

Eh, I dunno. Putting all of his researchers' projects on hold just so he can mantain various metamagical armors and suits doesn't seem like it's that worth it when he's a Lantern. His ring has been toggled off what, four times in the whole story? It's a very minor nuisance at best and not worth the resource expenditure of becoming Ironman.

ShadowPoint, Vorian, Caerwen and 3 others like this.
  6. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Is there any space compression technology?
    Or portals?
    Or non-ring subspace?

7. Mr Zoat

Of course. But they're either easier to disrupt, require even more bulky equipment or have other risks associated with them.

8. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

The ideal would be to see if Green Arrow can come up with a purple healing ray arrow, or hand over one to one of his allies whenever he's on a mission. Why make one person the pack mule for all the useful gear when you have other party members?

Actually, now I'm wondering about purple healing ray access for other heroes in general. I know Beauticia was working on making it standard in hospitals, but given the JL sometimes gets called in for natural disasters and certainly gets called into situations with a lot of injured people, I can imagine a couple of them might want to pack a healing ray so some civilians can make it to the hospital.

Oh man, Obsidian. What would be worse, Todd being strapped to a machine or Todd's schizophrenia being taken advantage of?

Cuchulin, Ardy and Vorian like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Flash may be the best for this since he can evacuate people and then heal them.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    Windona likes this.
  10. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Strictly speaking if he did a broad scan of Earth he might realize that Ted's got one in cold storage, assuming no anti-scry wards are in place. Other than that though getting access to a Scarab is unlikely given they were all but purpose-built to fight Lanterns and have every countermeasure under the sun The Reach could pack into them to prevent capture.

You accidentally included your response in the quote Darko.

Xmaster3000 and Ardy like this.
  11. Windona

And he can reach people the quickest, making him ideal for emergency healing. Depends on how portable a healing ray is though, since if it's too cumbersome he might only bring it if he's strictly on healing/evac duty.

True. Though I also don't think Paul is really trying that hard to find Earth's scarab, since it probably wouldn't take that much digging for someone to go 'Oh yeah Dan Garret used a scarab to fight crime, never joined the JSA though' and 'Oh the last person with Dan was Ted' and then have Ted go "Oh yeah, Dan gave me his scarab, but since it's alien tech I didn't feel like fusing it to my spine and instead I'm studying it to make inventions like flying solar powered vehicles" The Bug is superior to the Batmobile and deserves more recognition

I'm currently of the theory that Paul feels Earth can handle a scarab well enough right now, and he mentioned looking for Jaime Reyes in a one-off so.

Ardy and Assblaster5000 like this.
  12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Has everyone stopped to consider that maybe LePaul is just... Bad at designing Power Armor?

13. Assblaster5000

In the context of WTR everyone thinks that Scarab is magic instead of sci-fi nanotech. I do agree Paul isn't really looking all that hard for it though, which is fair enough I suppose. It tends to go reasonably well in most continuities, so as long Blue Beatle the third isn't running around yet he's probably got the time to head-off any issues that could crop up.

While he did look for Jaime he accidentally got his name wrong, so he never actually found him.

Ardy and Windona like this.
  14. Windona

Eh, in YJ canon Ted knew it was alien tech and that's given as the reason he never used the scarab himself. And I misremembered him getting the name wrong, did he do a search for Jamie Reyes or something?

Cuchulin and Assblaster5000 like this.
  15. Assblaster5000

Yeah. It was relatively early on and I think it was a ring search for people with a specific name based on census data or whatever, which is why he never found him.

16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Zoat is apparently went in a different direction, since WTR Ted would have probably happily showed Paul well before now.

Whether you consider this being that storyline butterflied away by Paul's presence on the watsonian level or Zoat making a decision on the Doylist level, well that's up to you.

And yes, apparently Zoat wasn't much of a BB fan because Paul did look for Jamie Reyes.

mastermenthe, Windona and Ardy like this.
  17. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Certainly explains why local-Scott was so gunho about this mission in general and rushed to see it done.

His boy has been a test subject for years.

18. Windona

Eh, for now I can headcanon that since Ted apparently didn't tell the League in canon, Ted wasn't really telling anyone because it was something Dan entrusted to him and he didn't want to take the risk of having the keepsake of his dead mentor getting used in some high octane adventure.

Lol very much so, every BB fan knows it's Jaime.

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  19. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

So ask Ray Palmer for some help in (temporarily?) miniaturizing stuff: Earth Bullshit(tm) To The Rescue Again!

20. Windona

I imagine the League would corner Atom and go. "Please. Don't make Paul even harder to handle."

Also I do like Paul having limitations.

21. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

While I do agree, the entire point of having SI superhero characters is their foreknowledge and ability to make use of it. This extends to the technology available to them. There is no reason he can't try do do this.

22. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I wonder if Paul’s suit’s scanners (or Paul’s ring database once it drains as much power data as it can from dominator computers) will have useful data on replicating Obsidian’s powers. Vril Dox II and the controllers would certainly like to know about reproducible anti-glow technology ASAP.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Porque no los dos?

Lord Ernest likes this.
  24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Eh.

They could have been facing the chimerical combination of both twins..
    [​IMG]

mastermenthe and Lord Ernest like this.
  25. xSieg

xSieg Making the rounds.

Well, yes, but this is a bit silly. Paul is a Lantern SI in a low-powered setting, for goodness sake. He started this story at about 98% power and has no reason to waste resources chasing other less productive power options just so he can become a munchkin's wet dream instead of applying his already cosmic-level powers to better the universe.

mastermenthe likes this.
  26. Threadmarks: Feasibility Study (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

21st November 2012
    11:55 GMT -5

"Sir? Who's 'Todd'?"

And yes, I'm through. In the sense that I've made a hole to the other side. It's extremely awkward to reach and I've got more work to do opening it up. Arms apart and try to crumble a cone.. I can.. push out…

"Slabside, the containment wing. After the dominators captured it at the end of the war, they took… Took everyone. Obsidian. One time, he… He put the sun out for a few hours with Eclipso. Normally… Normally we'd execute someone like that, but he… He wasn't in his right mind. Psychologists said he was improving."

"Does he have any weaknesses?"

"Bright light. And his control isn't all that good. He might not be doing this deliberately. Or-."

He coughs and it sounds painful. I remember Alan sounding like that, back when his ring was dead.

I brace myself, deactivate my gauntlets and shove the armoured wall in front of me. Mechanical muscles I just copied and pasted from a data file work as well as specified, making the remaining points of attachments fracture and snap.

"External. I have a hole."

"Yeah, but I can't see anything. Can you?"

A.. bit. I can't see movement, but until I can move around a little sonic isn't going to give me much. Back to work. Gauntlets activate and armour evaporates.

"No one's shot me yet. The hole should be big enough to fly through in a minute."

"You can fly?"

"Not well, but yes."

"We might need you to rush the Commander outside the zone of darkness. Could you-?"

"Not worth it. Didn't bring my lantern. Can't recharge. Prioritise Todd."

"Sir. You heard him, Orange Lantern."

"Okay." I awkwardly walk backwards. "You should be able to climb through now."

"Shouldn't you go first?"

"This is the highest security area in the facility. Reinforcements will be coming here, but the high caste generally don't let their guards inside their chambers." I awkwardly turn around. "You might-"

There's a quiet clunk from the direction of one of the room's doors, and Interceptor's heat signature shows her ducking into cover.

"-get-. Go!""

I shift over into a position to provide better cover as the first shots hit me. No heavy weapons-. Yet, and dominator augmented vision systems aren't quite as effective as what I've built into my armour. Shields are doing alright-.

Interceptor listens out for a moment, then rush-crawls across the floor to Commander Scott. Fire from the dominators slackens off, and I give myself a second to imagine how easy this would be with access to actual combat armour or my subspace arsenal. But why aren't they shooting?

If they can't see me, then-. They're shooting sound. Quick test as Interceptor levers Commander Scott into a fireman's carry. I awkwardly crouch, grab a dominator torso and then toss it to the side.

It lands with a damp thud, then flashes of heat flicker towards it. So they're effectively blind. For a moment I wonder about flying Interceptor and Commander Scott to the ceiling and seeing if the marines will open the way to their masters for us, but she's already going through the hole and I don't think the risk is worth it. Okay, grab a leg and throw-.

Motion sensor wobbles as the dominators throw something. I don't think their regular grenades would do much to my armour, not while I'm behind-.

Ah!

Sonic grenades, meant to shock and confuse. Wait, compare-. They dialled them down. That was nothing like their highest possible output. It blinds me for a moment because I'm using sonics to scan my environment, but-. They might have done the same. Just set their helmet's autosensors to track the returns and share them between the squad's computers to form a complete picture. The correct response would be to move, except that I'm providing cover for my colleagues.

I throw the legs anyway, but this time no one shoots.

Okay, they're not going to have an unlimited supply of sonic grenades, and dominators aren't usually exactly in love with the local high caste. They can only get so many snapshots, and the sonic image is going to show my armour and not much else.

I could get out of the armour, because they won't know whether it was piloted or not.

I swiftly dismiss the idea.

I-.

"Through!"

And that's my cue.

"Internal. Flight."

I spin in the air, turning face down and perpendicular to the floor. As I twist, I grab another body and throw it a little to my left. My flight doesn’t make noise, but if they-.

A bright flash of heat, and the fortification to my left fractures.

"External. Aaaagh!"

And then I fly towards the breach in the fortified doorway, arms… I can't do a full Superman pose in this armour; my shoulders aren't that flexible. But as close as I can manage. My armour's computer alerts me to the face that the dominators are continuing to shoot the spot where they 'hit' me as-. Ugh, as I hit the upper part of the tunnel I crumbled, bounce off slightly and get funnelled towards the exit-hole. Did-.

Yes, yes, they heard that. They don't manage to hit me; the angle between the hole, their door and the various fortifications doesn't really allow it unless they advance, and if I could shoot them then advancing would be a foolish thing to do indeed.

Ugh. And with this armour having no head I can't really look up. I can rotate my sensor display, but that-.

Am I… Stuck? Ugh, crumbler gauntlets on, extend arms to the sides, increase flight system power output-. And there we go and stop, rotate, and stand on the floor.

"Interceptor?"

"Ready to move."

"Okay, so two possibilities. Either the high caste have legged it and are sailing away in their escape pods, or they've broken out their experimental weapons and are about to attack us."

"The Heywood Corps has fought off probing attacks, but they're holding out. The Titans are hunkering down by the front entrance. And the Commander isn't doing too great. What kind-. No, I get it."

I check my sonics.

"Looks like the best route is this way. Given the situation, I'm going to move at a jog."

I step-.

AAAAGH!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It probably also helped that he was related to the leader of the JSI.

"or they've"

TopHatWearer, Vorian, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, someone should have thought to make their heavy armour more flexible. So, then. I wonder if Commander Scott actually knows his relationship to Obsidian in this universe, and whether others know about it, or if he's just known as some random crazy metahuman?

Yeah, I bet a prison full of metahuman criminals was liek a big old box of candy to the Dominators. And Yes, Eclipso is technically that powerful. He was the Spectre's predecessor as the Wrath of God, after all.

So the sooner you get his ass out of here and get him recharged, the better. We can only hope the light is being suppressed, not drained.

And there's the strength enhancement I was talking about. Not as useful as you'd think, given the limited mobility, but if he gets his hands on someone, well...

Sadly, without actively pinging, he's not going to see much. And if he is actively pinging, then anyone else using sonar will spot him loud and clear.

Integrated Kinetic Belt, if I remember right?

Risky. He's be an easy target, and the ride might not be very pleasant for the Commander.

Yeah, better to deal with the cause of the issue rather than a symptom. And I doubt Jordan's lantern will be of much use, since this Ring is the Starheart, not a former Green Lantern castoff.

...Which side of the door are the guards going to be coming from, then? ;) Inside the big cheeses' quarters, or outside?

Ah, that'll be the guards now. Decent response time.

...Though probably limited to his silhouette, rather than a good old pavise.

If wishes were fishes, no-one would go hungry... You fight with the tools you have, not the tools you could have.

And I doubt their bosses would appreciate them setting off fragmentation charges in or near their quarters, no matter the reason...

Ooh, clever. potentially stun an attacker while they're blind and generate a sonar map at the same time.

Which they may assume is some manner of combat automata, and call for heavier weaponry. Best to deal with them quickly, then.

For a start, it would make a lot of noise, I expect. Also, you're not exactly well-protected underneath, are you, besides light armour and a kinetic belt?

Okay, the squishy ones are out of the way for now. Time to wreck some shit?

Heh, a human torpedo.

Ha, nice, make them think they hurt you. Get them confident and moving up.

The joy of fighting blind: second-guessing what you're hearing.

Honestly, if you could replace it with something closer to Astartes power armour... Instead of the ersatz Securitron look you have now.

Good, good. Best to be quiet about it...

Honestly, I could see it going either way. Depends on how brave the high-caste feel at the moment.

Let's hope you're not being funnelled into a kill-box by the layout.

Let me guess: point defences or land mine equivalent?

This is going to be a very slow process, stumbling around in the dark. Gods only know how many traps are laid in that complex. And sooner or later, those guards are going to start moving after you. And there's still the chance of nastier stuff ahead. We can at least hope that the centre of the bubble of darkness has an unaffected area. Otherwise, shutting it down might prove difficult.

30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I know it's not that, but it's hilarious to imagine he just stepped into something nasty some pet left behind X)

TopHatWearer, Vorian, kerleth and 2 others like this.