1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Exotic energy was specified as shut down. Amazo-tech is all kinds of exotic energy.

Xmaster3000, Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Feels like it is disabling parts of the 'Reality's Physics Engine' that allowing the esoteric stuff to work.
    (If you wanted you emotional light to keep working, should have brought a portable Reality Engine with you, and had it running at the time the trap was sprung.)

And allows mundane tech to work either because that stuff is more problematic to shut off without making the interior reality uninhabitable (Like people are using those parts to keep their atoms bound together, and their blood carrying oxygen analogs. etc.)

Also relevant, the Dominators use the tech, but not so much the other stuff.
    So if they can fine tune the effect, turning off physics support for the stuff they don't use much, but leaving it on for the stuff their standard equipment, is just smart tactics to maximize their home field advantage.

Cuchulin, Vorian and Lord Ernest like this.
  3. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Military personnel don't personally work on every bit of gear they use. They have technicians and mechanics that do that. OL has Io and Sephtian for any magic-based gear. He does in fact use such things as mage slayer rounds and spell-eater amulets regularly.

Cuchulin and Lord Ernest like this.
  4. Threadmarks: Feasibility Study (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

21st November 2012
    11:59 GMT -5

"INTERNAL ADJUST SHIELDS ADJUST SHIElds oh thank you."

Ah, gah! I think that was a sonic attack, so either someone just hit me with a grenade, or-.

My shield flickers in a way which says that someone just hit it with an electromagnetic pulse. A decent guess, but my shield isn't all that vulnerable to EMP disruption. Sonic sensors… Aren't working. Damaged or wrecked, I don’t know. This suit has a self-repair function, but it's not as good as a power ring would be.

Okay, activate flight and shift… I have a partial map of the room from a moment ago. I'll go up and left, away from Interceptor and Commander Scott. I… Don't know where the attack came from, though dominator habits suggests that there's a dominator in the room now and they're carrying some sort of multi-output gun.

Don't know if Interceptor or Commander Scott are still alive.

"Gahkahkakhaak."

Because I never considered creating a Dominion to English translator and adding it to my armour.

"Ak-ak akakh."

I don't even know how their intonation works. The speaker could be pleading for their life, offering a ceasefire or mocking us and I wouldn't be able to tell.

"Kakrkakrak."

There's a flare of heat as probably-Interceptor takes a shot, and I'm still able to see heat but my sonics haven't come back yet which means that I'm stuck floating around until I bump into something.

"Blue Lantern to Orange Lantern."

"Internal. Go ahead."

"Got a small ship flying away from the facility. I need to do something about it?"

"Most probable possibility is that it's some of the high caste dominators. If you can do so safely, detain them."

"Ah…"

"Problem?"

"No, I can do that. I'm just wondering if you're being generous because we're not in our own universe."

"Generous?"

"Or is it just because you don't think I'd be okay with killing them?"

"It's because we haven't confirmed the target yet. If you had that big a problem with killing people who did things like this then you wouldn't be here. Incidentally, Commander Scott has children."

"Well, he did say that he remarried."

"Akh! Akh!"

"Kakh!"

Which is the guy in here talking to the guys outside, neither of whom can see the hole I made. On the other hand, I can't tell where the noise is coming from because my sonic imaging system is down and my armour's default auditory system doesn't precisely transmit direction because it was designed for reliability rather than precision.

"We think one of them is here, being used to create this darkness field."

"Huh."

Okay, so I know roughly where the plug from the doorway is. Dominators are actually slightly weaker than humans, so if I pick it up and plug the hole that might actually give them some trouble. On the other hand, the noise will definitely relay my position. Alternately, I could drift around the room. That's actually a pretty safe option, with a low chance of actually doing anything useful. I could communicate directly with Interceptor's headset-.

"Internal, activate headset-. Ah, quiet. Orange Lantern to Interceptor, that hit messed up my sonic imaging. Do you know where the target is? One beep for yes, two for no."

"Huuh huuh."

Darn it.

Optical searching it is, then.

I change orientation so that I'm facing the floor and plot out a search pattern. If the dominator hasn't shot again I'd.. guess that it's because they don't want to shoot their rescuers.

"I'm hunting them. I suggest moving around the room and trying to find the door they came in through."

"Huuh."

Of course, I'm assuming that the dominator doesn't have a personal flight system. Based on how they usually equip their soldiers, that's not too likely. Dominators use aircraft, not soldiers with jetpacks. But I'm not sure if-.

I see a flicker of yellow.

I swing my right fist, knuckles hitting a yellow energy field, which flares-! Dah! My right fist is-! OwOW!

"Target located!"

Right fist gone, bleeding? Bleeding. In considerable pain!

Dominator looks up as the yellow glow fades, weapon-.

Punch with left hand! Yellow field flickers and dies, but gauntlet smoking. Crumbler non-functional, but power support working fine. Punch.

"KEKH!"

The helmet fractures and the dominator wearing it drops to the floor! "INTERNAL DEACTIVATE FLIGHT!"

I drop-. Fuck, missed, dominator scrambling away! I swing my left fist around anyway, hit something-

"KEHK!"

"ACTIVATE FLIGHT!"

-and float towards the sound of the squawking! Flares of heat-. Armour fine. SLAP SLAP!

"KEHKK!"

"Upri-!"

AAAGH!

SOMETHING-! HIT MY HAND-STUMP!

"Upright!"

Dominator shredded leg gun knock it aside-!

PSHOOM!

Right shoulder armour melted head armour melted dominator lost hold of gun punch!

"Kk-!"

Dominator armour damaged but dominator alive. Flares of heat-. Error messages, armour internal systems being damag-ged!

Punch again!

No, won't move! Side arm side arm emergency release-. Jammed. Can't-.

Grey shape Interceptor, grabs dominator leg? Blood. Covers hands. Points dominator gun towards source of shots.

Fires.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  5. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

This is going remarkably poorly for OL.

6. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Woah! Is this the toughest fight OL's had?

I can only imagine what he's going to be like after this. Totally over-the-top perparations for all contingencies; much more over-the-top than we've seen before.

7. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The fight against Heaven was tougher. It's just that OL isn't used to fighting like this.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Moral of this story.

LePaul is really bad at fighting when he can't just hand everything off to his Ring AI.

9. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

I'm getting the feeling Earth-16's Dominators might be moving up Paul's poop list.

10. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So, how does full-on Transhumanism sound now, Paul?

11. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

More that he cant see anything. He relys on the ring for all sorts of esoteric sensors, so his armor is specced for physical defenses with only minor sensor abilities.

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Which would be as effective as a proper flashbang, given that he's stuck with sonar for his main method of perception. So now he's not just fighting without Ring support, he's practically deaf and blind too. Time to grope, rip and tear, then. :p

A directed EMP, eh? Let's hope Interceptor and Commander Scott weren't caught in the line of fire before he moved. Anything that could make an EMP wouldn't be fun for unprotected humans.

...I hope that's not one of them breathing their last...

And of course they sound like the 'Mars Attacks' Martians to you? Then again, with their mouth structure, that might be the only form of vocalisation they can manage without translation hardware.

Given their temperament, I suspect he's gloating because he feels in control of the situation. After all, you're blind, nearly deaf and presumably depowered.

And now shit's going down outside. Alan's going to have to handle things out there.

Probability of that being OL's guess about the leader caste making a break for it under cover of darkness? High, I bet.

...Define 'safely'? Because you can survive a lot without dying.

I suspect if Commander Scott were fit to command, he'd probably have said the same as OL did.

Well, you are a nice guy.

I don't think that's what OL is implying, Alan.

And now the dominator groups are talking to each other. Sheesh. Another thing for the 'fix later' list on your suit, OL.

Let me guess, OL: You skipped on the directional surround sound feature because you prefer 2.0? :p

Yes, like a giant tin-plated parade float. There's an image for you. :V

...That'll be a no. Well, 'Operation: Bobble About' is a go.

Like trying to find your way around a dark house at midnight during a new moon. At least you don't have to worry about stubbing your toe on furniture.

Or he's assumed you've moved away from the door and has no idea where you are, but doesn't want to waste ammo or make himself a target by bracketing the room.

Remember the old saw about flying soldiers? I'd say they ascribe to that philosophy too.

Oh, yeah, without the ring, no pain suppression or instant healing. Bet that's stinging something fierce. :sneaky:

What about the ring on it? I expect it's intact, since they tend to be rather destructive when broken.

When in doubt, cast Fist!

Down but not out. And I doubt having a ton of armour drop on you will be any more pleasant than having it punch your helmet in.

Well, that's rude, he's laughing at you! Give him a sound thrashing!

Presumably Interceptor or the Dominator shooting at the noise.

Ooh, did he go for the goolies?

...Ow. Man, you really are not used to pain, are you, OL?

Hard to miss at that range...

...But if he's close enough to hit you, you can hit him right back.

Ooof, he is getting mauled.

Damn, saved by the belle. And now it looks like you're going to have to ditch the armour, with that much damage.

Really does look like this might be the most severe beatdown OL's taken in some time. Honestly, he is really unused to fighting without his ring, isn't he? Not just the weapons, but also the perception. I wasn't kidding about him being basically deaf and blind here. Never mind the physical pain of whatever the hell's been done to his hand. Maybe OL can spend some time training his physical skills with Ragnar when they get back to Earth 16...

Should those be 'ADJUST', or is that a specific function?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  13. Mr Zoat

Didn't go so well for Commander Scott.
    No, the sonic detection system usually does that. The back up system he's talking about is basically a cluster of armoured grills.
    Thank you, corrected. For some reason my Word thinks that 'ajust' us a word.

14. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

It's funny when Paragon Paul runs into something that utterly stops him that Renegade Paul would bulldoze over. Builds make fights i guess.

15. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

When did With This Ring turn into a Cambrian story?

Also, didn’t OL have Beryl’s flight belt, or is that stored inside the ring too?

16. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

Shouldn't that be "creating"?

As for my feedback on the chapter itself: it's all very confusing but it's probably on purpose.

17. Pez

Pez Spaceman

So, Paul's next suit of armor is going to be a full on mech, replacing everything his ring does with conventional tech that would be working in this situation? He should totes work with his buddyies the Silvanas on that.

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Mr Zoat

The Sivanas could make him better armour, certainly. But could they make him better armour that counted as 'conventional'?

Yes, but only by a little.

19. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

When the power turns on..... They will see how scary the cake man is.

Bud-E likes this.
  20. Darkstep

Darkstep Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

"wearing it drops"
    "INTERNAL"

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"Dominators'

'dies'

'wearing it'

'shape, Interceptor'

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    That one is deliberate.

23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

effective

blinds

Semicolon instead of comma

This was "Heywood Corps" in the previous update.

It's an archaic spelling that's no longer accepted as standard, but it's in Scrabble dictionaries still, and Microsoft's check tools aren't especially sophisticated.

24. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ok I just scared my cat by laughing when I saw this.
    Well Done.

Yeah Paul's probably going to go Full Stark on his next suit after this.

yeah Paul seems to only go to them when he doesn't have better options.

The Sivanas are masters of Science but are morally ambiguous at best.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    The more you know!

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

How? He's not a supergenius.

Or even a regular genius.

Impartial Panic and xSieg like this.
  27. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Oh boy, and without his ring to deaden the pain, I do think Paul will feel that for a while.

NightmareWarden likes this.
  28. xSieg

xSieg Making the rounds.

You'll note that both of your examples of his magic gear are only used as amply as he does because he found a way to automate them enough that even low-level Atlantean apprentices could produce them in bulk with the arcane forge. Meanwhile, magic metals can currently only be produced by one able blacksmith and her Gods (one of which is fucking off planet and the other which is stuck as new top dog of his pantheon), essentially.

Think about it like this : If he pulled Io and Sephtian from all their research projects currently, he could probably make lots of already molded parts of a superpowered metamaterial armor and just assemble them on the fly everytime they get damaged in his fights, at the cost of utterly gimping his ring reserves and long term projects. Or he could use substantially easier to repair, mantain and produce armor that he can do it himself, costs basically no ring energy to subspace and is only much less effective in a very specific situation (where his ring is turnt off and he cannot retreat for one reason).

And trying to become Stark is basically a fool's errand for Paul, anyway. If he really needs more raw power he can just focus on becoming a better Lantern and that's a much better investment of his time, comparatively.

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Is it?

He's pretty close to hitting the cap for Power Rings.

He's also started running into the problem that all big Lanterns run into, IE enemies who can just shut his power ring down.

30. Threadmarks: Feasibility Study (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

21st November 2012
    After

PSHOOM!

"K-!"

PSHOOM! PSHOOM!

Interceptor drops gun, kicks them in the head. Eyes close, screaming stops.

"Lantern, you alive?"

"Ex-external. Yes. In pain. Injured."

"Life-threatening?"

"Probably not. Can't tell. Destroy the power suppressor and-. Andandand I'll be fine."

"Can you get out?"

"Mechanism's jammed, and I've lost power. If you can point me at the hole and- Stick the gun in my hands-. Hand, I can do rearguard duty. Otherwise, I'll just play dead."

"Hand?"

"The left one. Right's gone. Wound partially cauterised. Hope the ring's still there. Blue Lantern reports that other high caste have pulled out."

"I'll make this quick."

Gone.

Ow.

Take stock. Legs… Fine. Left arm some pain. Probably mild burn. Torso feels fine, but…

Ugh.

Fuzzy. Concussion? Blood loss? Shock?

Try moving again.

Oxygen shortage? Environmental purifier is… Left chest. Think fine, but brain impaired.

"K-k."

Dominator eyes open, twitching. Hand opening and closing. Stunned.

"K-k to you, too."

Dark going? Shadows-.

Wholeness Rightly Assumed.

Ah…

The shadows recede, my armour knits itself back together, and after a moment I take a distinct pleasure in flexing my fully functional right hand.

"Ah, div-work."

The dominator soldier sticking its head through the.. inelegant hole I made in the bulkhead just sort of sags in place as it sees me come upright.

"No, it's okay, we're allowed to accept the surrender of unarmed military personnel. All you have to do is drop your gun and grenades."

"And… The Exalted?"

An orange thread connects me to the stunned dominator's forehead, and reduces the size of the red circle.

"What Exalted?"

"I will take that."

He pulls himself through the hole, holding his gun by the power pack. He then steps aside from the hole and sets the gun down on the ground. Next, he unbuckles his grenade belt and puts it down next to the gun before straightening back up.

"Thank you. Orange Lantern to prison team. Do you need assistance?"

"Captain Henderson responding. Got injuries but nothing critical. We were holding them off, then the lights came on and Power Girl wrecked the sorry bastards. We're back to prepping the captives now."

"Good work. Continue with the mission."

I create a replacement layer of armour over the hole, move the dominator soldier's gun and grenades into subspace and take a look at the high caste who took a shot at me. No sense making someone suffer. Ring, repair the circulatory system but leave the bones broken.

Compliance.

And deal with the concussion.

The dominator's eyes widen for a moment, but stay staring ahead. Then their head snaps to me.

"The Guardians would not attack us. You do not work for the Guardians. We have had dealings with Qward."

"You have one chance to answer fully and accurately before I modify your mental network to be more compliant. Were you involved on the attack on Earth, where the test subjects came from?"

The dominator's mental networks aren't anything particularly strange. Strange to me at least. Having seen psion and Weaponer and Sivana thought processes it's almost old hat. Memories flicker as they're triggered. No. This one is too young.

"No."

"Have you worked on the subjects?"

"Not directly. I have been using data gathered from the experiments in my own work. I am not a biologics specialist."

Looks true, though it's pretty clear that this dominator-. That she didn't hold off for moral reasons or anything silly like that.

"Did you turn on the power nullifier?"

"Yes. I designed it to fulfil this purpose. The test was surprisingly successful."

I see-. Obsidian was… Connected to the Shadowlands, and she managed to manipulate the connection. Made him the core of a machine. Having her alive would-.

Two red beams lance through the dominator's head, incinerating it.

I turn towards Interceptor. "What was that in aid of?"

"That was a dominator scientist. They're on the target list."

"That was the one who turned Todd Rice into what he is now. We could have gotten useful information from her. Loot, then burn."

Interceptor exhales sharply in frustration, but nods.

"Commander Scott?"

"I'm fine." He walks back in, green light flowing around his body as he floats the whole machine through with him. "And don't worry, Interceptor. I wouldn't trust anything we got out of her brain anyway. Commander Scott to everyone. Get ready to pull out."

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022