1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

I like this.

CTrees likes this.
  3. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘They’
    Inconsistent apostrophes. I think both should have an apostrophe, but maybe neither should.
    ‘robot’s’, I think.
    I’ve only ever seen it spelled ‘matte’. Always interesting to learn that there are other valid spellings.
    ‘your’
    ‘objectives’
    I think these should both be ‘Council’, given that was used earlier in the chapter and Google is giving me results for Council.
    ‘a comic’
    ‘whom’, I think, though I could be wrong and you might not care.
    ’if I wave’, maybe.

I’m still going through my backlog. I’m liking this parallel universe plot, even though it seems like we’ve had about a million of those by this point. It interested me that the Spider Guild was considered a priority, since they seemed like chumps given that Paragon pretty casually bombarded one of their planets.

4. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

If he sat in orbit, used his ring to find the masters, and sniped them from space? Probably not. As I am reminded every time I read a Fate crossover fic,, there's some pretty serious bullshit in that universe, but some of OLs abilities are an OCP to the Grail Wars. I do recall that there are some reality warpers, and mystic eyes of death perception could conceivably kill even the Ophidian if OL actually bothers to touch down on the planet the war is takin place on?

Could be a fun sidestory, though, if OL got summoned as a Servant in a Grail War.

Cuchulin, kerleth and Vorian like this.
  5. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Huh, Interceptor was raised on Earth. That explains a few things.

OL interacted with a lot of aliens: Controllers, Queen of Alistair, the plant planet whose name escapes me at this moment. Heck, if he just points them towards Dox and says 'this guy hates the Dominators and is their prisoner' then having a 12th level intellect on their side isn't the worst.

Ardy likes this.
  6. LiteraryChangeling69

LiteraryChangeling69 A lover of good literature.

Finally caught up.

CTrees and Ardy like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Oh, if the Dominion is going all out, the Spider Guild is far less dangerous. But the Spider Guild is ersponsible for far more evil on a day by day basis.

8. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

Just like the original comics!

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though they're still committing atrocities.

Though they're still Nazis and few of them are growing out of it.

10. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I don't think we ever did find out what happened to the Superman of 666 after he was freed, did we? Last sight of him was unconscious and alive. There was talk he might kill himself, but no confirmation he did so and no one has mentioned his actual fate. Maybe he put on bondage gear, called himself Penance, and is helping rebuild in disguise so no one knows who he is?

11. LiteraryChangeling69

LiteraryChangeling69 A lover of good literature.

Maybe superman's soul collapsed on itself and that's why he is in a coma because his body is fine but his soul had a big chunk torn out of it.

kerleth likes this.
  12. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘slices’, I think.
    ‘so’
    ‘amounts’
    ‘in’, I think.
    ‘cyborgs’ ‘,I think.
    ‘backups’
    ‘once-over’, I think.

Isn’t that millions of years? Impressive that they’ve lasted so long while being so unabashedly evil.
    This made me think about whether the dominators use cybernetics or genetic enhancement for their troops. They’re certainly advanced enough for it.

I’ve been liking the look at the dominators, since I always thought they were kind of neat. Despite it being kind of the most generic in some ways, I really like the people who just use ‘standard’ science rather than magic or bullshit like emotional tech. I like the idea of people harnessing meta humans, since meta humans kind of seem like one of the most bullshit sources of powers, even if most of them are pretty weak. I still remember Paragon (that guy who worked with SHADE, I mean).
    I’ve been liking the Transformers chapters a lot, even though my only knowledge of the setting comes from the Michael Bay movies, an animated movie I watched where Optimus Prime died in the first half hour, a comic with zombie transformers that I read in a library, and this-
    -game (which I loved).

mastermenthe, kerleth, Vorian and 6 others like this.
  13. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Unlimited Fanwanks

kerleth likes this.
  14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Genetics is their goto.

They've created Dominator/Daxamite hybrids, implanted the metagene to make meta-dominators, and even created BION- They took the Computo operating system and installed it into a body genetically engineered with the abilities of the Legion of Superheroes.

mastermenthe and Xmaster3000 like this.
  15. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

If he's summoned as a Servant, he'd be a weaker copy of some version of Paul, in a Class Container that limits his abilities to those that fit it. If he shows up with his current powers and equipment unrestricted, though, he'd stomp anything that isn't sufficiently weird conceptual stuff that's too different from the things he's already prepared for.

KenNM, kerleth, Vorian and 1 other person like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or he was just so traumatized that he went into the coma.

I'm now picturing him showing up as a loli girl.

17. Threadmarks: Uncomplicated Good Works (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

28th November 2012
    11:41 GMT -5

Alan smiles at me as he sees me poring over hard copy SOPs on his dinner table.

"Going over the procedure documents from the Justice Society International?"

"No. These are yours."

"The Justice League?"

"The All-Star Squadron." I sit back slightly. "I'd have looked at the Justice Society's as well, but it turns out that you never wrote any."

"There weren't really enough of us to need them." He walks over and picks up a briefing paper from the US Marine Corps, defining the proper procedures for contacting the Squadron and defining lines of command. "I… I gotta tell yah, I don't remember this at all."

"I imagine that they just told you what you were supposed to do when you were supposed to do it." I frown. "I know you were working for Stars and Stripes as Alan Scott, but I still can't quite get my head around how you were able to maintain a secret identity for the whole thing."

He sits down opposite me. "Who's to say I did?"

"The House Committee on Un-American Activities?"

"Well, yeah, but let's say… Some people had some surprising memory lapses when they got called to testify." He puts it down, gazing into the middle distance. "Do you think they were all that different from us?"

"No idea."

He makes an amused hissing noise. "It's okay to speculate a little."

"No."

"Really?"

"I can see how you from the forties might be motivated to expand the Justice Society. And I can see how it could have grown from there. Seventy years on, a you who'd been constantly fighting and directing others to fight would naturally have become more ruthless." I shrug. "And he still had a green ring, which makes him more likely to push on rather than hold back and think things through."

"Huh."

"I can change my answer to 'yes' if you prefer?"

"No, no, it's…" A quiet huff. "So you think I should skip my turn as Justice League Chairman?"

"I don't know. You've got a blue ring, and it's influencing you in a different direction. And you've got the opportunity to define yourself in contrast to Commander Scott. I'd be happy for you to be Chairman."

He smirks. I…

I consider rolling my eyes, but don't do it. Instead, I flop back in my chair.

"I didn't get enough data to decide whether the JSI was a clear positive for the world or not. They do act more like… This is just from my conversations with Linda, but like a combination of the most overbearing aspects of the CIA and FBI. But we've had supervillains running countries, and… You were in charge. They weren't doing that thing of…"

Ah.

"Of..? What?" There's a glint in his eyes as he realises where I was going. "Supporting third world dictators?"

"You said the thing with Danner was why you left the Squadron."

"So he did more thing like… That?"

"The JSI has removed governments, and they have performed extraordinary renditions be-."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Kidnapping suspects in foreign countries without following normal extradition procedures. Of course, they've got official permission to go just about anywhere they want now, and the places where they don't have permission to go aren't places that have any effective way of stopping them."

"Sounds like they've taken over the world."

"I've never really been clear what that would be like. Somewhere like America, if someone took over the Federal Government the rest of the country would just ignore it. If some idiot with a doomsday bomb managed to make the governments of the world bend their knees, so what? He wouldn't get a fat lot of compliance from their citizens."

"Is that a 'no'?"

"It's a 'they've taken control of the parts they want, and the rest is giving them the funding they need to operate'. After that, taking control of anything else would just mean being greedy and probably create more trouble than it's worth."

"Most people who might try and take over the world wouldn't worry about being greedy. That's how we used to beat them."

"'Used to'?"

"These days…" He exhales. "The people who want to take over the world don't come right out and say it. And the rest either aren't that ambitious or they flat out want to destroy it. Even Hitler didn't do what the Sheeda did."

"Like antibiotic-resistant bacteria, if you beat all the ones that aren't resistant, everyone left is."

"I guess that's what you found out with the scry wards." He sighs. "Ah, I need to ask. Rose. Rose… Canton. My Rose."

"I don't.. know if she was pregnant or not. I mean, there's just about enough time for her to have given birth, but I-" I shake my head. "-checked the records of every orphanage in America. None of the children handed in during the period match Miss Hayden and Mister Rice's description. I mean, Miss Hayden was green, that would be on record."

"Not to start with. That came as her powers got stronger. If her powers never activated, she'd look like a regular woman. She'd be.. in her sixties now. And.. I could have been a great grandfather by now."

I reach across the table and pat his left arm with my right hand. He nods absent-mindedly.

"I don't have any leads on Jennifer, but Todd had a connection to the Shadowlands. There are other people who know that place, and I… I need to know for sure."

"The Shade?" He nods, and I nod back. "Do you want me to come?"

"No, I think Richard will respond better if it's just me. No offense."

I nod. "None taken."

"You got any plans? Other than.. all this reading?"

"I'm going to give being a traditional superhero a go for a bit. I.. never really tried it; we were trainees taking orders from Batman and then I went Full Militant Utilitarian. I never really gave it a try and I want to know what it's like."

"You want some pointers?"

"Did you get pointers?"

"I talked to Crimson Avenger a few times, but I guess not." He nods, smiling. "You have fun with that."

"Doesn't seem likely, but who knows?"

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Plus I think the place served more as a group for them to socialize.

"from the"

Nabu could have erased their memories.

"others"

"in contrast"

"thing with"

Quote marks should be orange.

19. Lothlo

Lothlo Not too sore, are you?

*Looks at the whole Justice League Rogue Gallery that always come back for another round due to the Justice League following the classic superhero schtick*
    I don't know OL, I would say that your way of doing things was better than what we had on Earth 16. Call me crazy, but this looks like *puts tinfoil hat* a insidious plot by Mr. Smile to make you become a normal superhero and not rock the boat anymore, making you preserve the status quo that he wants. For all we know, Constantine was affected by Smiley inside theTower of Fate, that close to.the Dream and outside the mortal realm. Will leave the tinfoil hat on for the time being

20. Mazerii

Mazerii Know what you're doing yet?

Contrast?

21. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

Is it made of aluminum foil or real tin? Tin foil blocks the mind reading machines while aluminum acts as an amplifier to make it even easier to read your mind.

And if it's made from aluminium foil then it's not safe for me to even talk to you. That stuff turns you into a signal booster so they can read the minds of everyone around you.

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    If you watch the animated film about the start of the Corps, the brief view we see of the villain shows that it's the dominators.
    Thank you, corrected.

23. xSieg

xSieg Making the rounds.

I don't really think Paul will be able to square out being a true superhero and Caesar at his worst empire building moments, honestly.

24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Nah, he never got a copy of them, did he? unless Interceptor slipped him a copy while working with him on Earth 666. And I doubt there are enough, if any, metahuman military units in the world to have developed any sort of handbook.

Pfft, as if. The League are talented amateurs. Most of them are used to working solo, or with a like-minded sidekick. I suspect Batman is the only reason they have any rules about leadership and membership practices.

True, the Society was more of a boy's club. Hell, their first real roster was all male (Hawkgirl wasn't even listed as a member at first...)

Yeah, I doubt the men he served with were about to speak out about his real identity. And back before TV, his face would have been basically unknown anyway. If anything, people might have recognised his voice, after he became a radio star.

It's amazing what saving a man's life in combat will do to earn their loyalty.

Well, I'm sure OL could, but it's all be guesswork.

No, there's too many variables in their history, never mind the lack of a Wonder Woman, Batman or Superman.

Yeah, Green may have the least mental side-effects of the Spectrum, but it still has them. Increased steadfastness and determination, for a start.

...For fear of going the same way? Hardly. Different lives, different circumstances.

And coming from OL, concerning the League, that says a lot.

Admittedly, some of that might be based solely on their reaction to an entirely accidental interdimensional arrival. They did threaten to arrest you, after all.

Hopefully, they only interfered with politics if said dictator was a super-human criminal elsewhere...

Much like the Marvel universe reluctantly putting up with Doom in Latveria, since anyone else might be worse.

Extraordinary Rendition. :oops: A not-entirely-legal form of extradition, without the permission of the arresting state... Not a pleasant affair.

...In a kind-of benevolent way? I mean, if you weren't a powered jackass, you'd be fine?

...Let's not mention any recent names, shall we? :oops: Rule 8, and all that...

The eyes proving bigger than the stomach. Consuming an energy field larger than your head. Uttering the immortal words 'There's no way I can lose now!'. That sort of thing? Yeah, pretty typical Golden Age stuff...

Or they're the type who wants to own the world financially. Like Luthor.

Curious as to whether Todd Rice and his sister existed here? Yeah, OL could find that out...

Starting to realise what you might have missed out on all these years, Alan? At least now, you've got plenty of time to go out and gain that.

I suspect he'd have been noticed, yeah.

Such a contrast to the Renegade and his Shade's relationship...

Checking in on his trainees? Dates with Jade? Attending to business dealings? No doubt all those sorts of thing happen off-screen.

You'll probably have to dial down the lethality quite a bit. Unless you want to earn that 'anti-hero' label. Might we see the return of shock-crowns?

Murphy: :eek: Oh, the phone's ringing off the hook! Wonder who it is?

And you jinxed yourself, OL. What are the odds something absolutely gigantic blows up in the next few in-universe days, just to spite his intentions for a quiet time? The only question will be what, where and by who? Remember, there's more than a few beings out there with a grudge against OL, and this might be a great chance for them to get even...

25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Controllers Paul is familiar with apparently don't even have the resources to send a Darkstar to Earth to protect it, so busy are they with the Reach. Not until Paul handed them a lantern corps.

And it's Queen Hyathis of Alstair. The Alstair Paul is familiar with is in a perpetual war with all three of its neighbor planets and the Thanagarian Empire.

But potential allies with no resources to spare wouldn't be the top of my list.

Although admittedly the local situation might be different than what Paul has encountered.

But logically, if we assume that the local situation isn't more or less similar to what he's encountered before, than his suggestions would be as reliable as random guessing anyway.

26. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

I hope paul makes a quip explicly about practicing his one-liners.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Lets see how long LePaul can last before resulting to either deadly force or mind control.

TopHatWearer likes this.
  28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Paul:"Okay, for the sake of some perspective I will stop playing in the slighly-above gods league and do the plebeian thing of being a run of the mill top tier superhero"

29. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Hmm. Chapter 1 began on August 14, 2013. This is the August 7, 2022 update. Just shy of nine years of With This Ring, and Paragon!Paul is finally living up to his name. The most Paragon of the Paul alts (and no, being on the Suicide Squad did not make Angel!Paul more moral). Paragon!Paul is finally willing to wear his underwear on the outside, setup a secret identity, and play cops & robbers with dastardly supervillains.

This is a momentous day.

Joking aside, I’m surprised (wait…) fhe isn’t getting a few choice words from Jade before making this change. Never mind, that isn’t the order Paul does things. He is a more decisive man than I am, I was thinking about my own reservations. I think there’s a fifty percent chance he messages Jade within four updates. A seventy percent chance he messages her before the end of this arc. I predict a little bit of banter between them, perhaps a comment from Jade about if he used the ring to change his brain like she did, but ultimately she’ll give a comics-appropriate principle for Paul to ruminate on. They doesn’t mean it’ll be a heroic principle. It might be horribly cynical in fact, hard to guess.

30. Mr Zoat

Damn.