1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Threadmarks: Brim Stoned (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

25th October 1998
    21:17 GMT -7

BANG!

I jerk my head to the side as he shoots straight at my right eye, my environmental shield flaring!

"What are-"

BANG!

His next shot hits my left eye, making me blink in confusion at the impact. Okay, okay, my environmental shield should be able to cope with anything a handgun can throw out, but he's undead. For all I know he's going to whip out a wight blade and I'm not exactly flush with ring power.

"-you-"

BANG!

But okay, okay, the shots aren't getting through and handguns don’t have that many shots.

"-doing?!"

I turn to look at him just as his fist comes around-. Knocking me back, ow! That actually hurt! But not as bad as a wight blade, so there's that. Reinforce environmental shield and get my arms up to block which stops his second punch, ow.

And counter!

Huh, I actually hit h-.

OWFuck!

And now we're wrestling and he's definitely stronger than he should be, but at least I'm not getting shot and I can certainly match him there!

GH!

Can't really do much about the fact that he knows what he's doing and I don't!

"Why are you doing this?!"

"'cause it's my job to send you back!"

He tries to trip me, but judo wasn't designed to deal with the supernatural and I anchor myself before head butting him on the nose! Follow up right.. hook? To the same place and he's forced back.

"To Britain? I don't need a visa-."

He shakes his head, and raises his right hand to wipe away blood that isn't actually there.

"To Hell."

Oh. Right. It's really more of a surprise that I haven't run into some sort of crazy American religious zealot before now. He sees something supernatural, and it must of course come from Hell. No idea what he thinks of himself, but wasn't there an X-Files episode about Christian zombies?

"I've never been to Hell, you lunatic!"

And we've drawn a crowd. No one's got cameras, but there are plenty of witnesses and it looks like Detective Stone just noticed that too.

"What?"

"What do you mean, 'what'? Do you just attack people for fun?"

"You're glowing orange."

I hold up my left hand, glowing ring on display.

"I have a magic ring." I exhale sharply. Okay, calm. Calm. "Do you want to go somewhere and talk about this like a civilised person?"

And there's the police siren. Detective Stone looks decidedly nervous, his gun vanishing into his coat.

"Yeah. Let's do that."

"Good show." I hold out my right hand. "Take my hand."

He takes it like he's planning on shaking it, and we vanish, transitioning onto a nearby roof.

I step back as he gets his bearings.

"So. What's it like, being a wight?"

"A-. A what?"

"Sentient undead?"

"I… Think of myself as being on parole, really. And you're telling me you're not?"

I blink. "Hell's real?"

"Yeah. Hell's real. And you're gunna need to better than 'magic ring' if you want me to buy into this whole thing."

"How… Would you tell?"

"When I shoot escapees in the eyes, they get this… Blue mist coming out."

"When you shoot them, or… Anything else?"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not going to let you shoot me in the eye, because I'm using my brain. But if it helps you, I can let you stab me in one eye. That would be enough, wouldn't it?"

"Ah, I guess." He looks around. "How'd we get up here?"

"Magic-" / "Magic ring, right." / "-ring."

He doesn't look convinced. "There were necromancers in the Bible who could call souls back from Heaven. Samuel's last chat with King Saul?"

"You shouldn't-." He hesitates. "Okay. You got a knife?"

I do have a knife, because the thug from earlier dropped it in favour of his gun. I take it out of my pocket and offer it to Detective Stone. Then… I crouch down slightly to give him a clear shot.

"To the best of your knowledge, does thisahfuck!"

Reknit reknit reknit. Ah! There's the other part of my visual field!

"Happy?!"

"You're.. not an escapee."

"Thank you!"

"I don't know what you are, but you're not what I'm here for, so..."

He turns to leave.

"Ah, excuse me, I think I deserve a little more explanation after being shot repeatedly."

He stops, hesitates a moment and then half-turns back.

"A hundred and thirteen damned souls escaped Hell. I got let out to send 'em back."

"You were-?" Ah. "Your service record was excellent."

"You don't get time off for good deeds. Not from Hell. If you sin, you go down."

"That.. sounds like a positively monstrous system."

He makes a sardonic smile. "I ain't arguing, pal. I had fifteen years of-."

He stops himself, sighing.

"Look, you're not who I'm here for, and you saved that guy who got shot. How about we leave it at that."

Not as if I can't find him again the moment I want to.

"You can't tell me something like that and expect that to be all. I know good and I know evil and I know the difference between them."

He shrugs. "Then… I dunno what to tell you, pal. Do good, and don't do evil."

I smile again. "Excellent advice. But good for whom?"

2. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

"Hi, I'm Lucifer"

"Brand. Now, let's talk reforms..."

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That probably won't work on him.

Granted, he is weaker on Earth.

4. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

He didn't figure out branding until the merger with the snake.....he might try for assimilation ...which I think most versions of Actual-Satan in settings can find a way around if they're worth the name.

5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And when you don't want to get shot, even the environmental shield can tank a lot. I suspect Zeke isn't gonna have anything that can get through Paul's defences that he doesn't feel like allowing. And I doubt his gun is that special, restocking ammunition notwithstanding...

This isn't Highlander, son. Most people can't hide a longsword under a coat. :p

And Zeke's gonna be ticked if he ends up wasting all his daily ammunition on you.

Time for construct restraints, methinks? Or is that battery life still a concern for you?

A Lantern in a fistfight. :rolleyes: How mundane...

And no doubt giving the folks you walked past a hell of a show... Because you're doing this outside the front door of a bar.

Even the most powerful muscle-man can't beat someone with skill.

Yes, that doesn't make you sound any less crazy, now, does it, Zeke?

Since you technically don't exist in this universe, if the standing rule applies. And bureaucracies don't do well with people who don't legally exist.

Should have quit while you were ahead, Zeke. :p Oh, wait...

I mean, the classic 'voodoo' is a sort of hodge-podge of Christian and West African practices all stirred together... Easy mistake to make, especially for TV writers...

Be glad this is an era before phone cameras. If anyone's carrying a phone, it's likely to be a brick of a thing... By modern standards anyway.

That's no indicator of anything... Besides superpowers.

What's the bet someone in the crowd took a look at that and went 'I thought Green Lantern was, y'know', green?' :p

Well, at least you've come to your senses, hell-boy.

Boy, are the police gonna have a fun time working that one out...

At least he's not looking his age, in terms of post-mortem condition.

Remember, this is before D&D really caught on after the WotC buyout... Third Edition's probably a year away at this point. :D

Ah, yes, the default worldview of a fresh Paul: Atheist.

...Did he have some kind of supernatural sense, or was it a case of Satan giving him dossiers?

Well, I doubt a good poke in the eye is going to hurt them...

:confused: ...Wow, that's a level of callousness I'd associate with OL.

And probably the easiest way down, unless you want to try the express route? Quick, but the sudden stop at the end...

If not, he can make one easily enough. He seems reasonably practised with his ring thus far.

Hey, at least he didn't let you see it coming. It hurts more that way because you tense up...

...Still working on that 'blocking pain' thing, huh? :p

Honestly, even not having seen the series, I would assume most of them are unlikely to have such blatantly visible supernatural powers.

...Oh, no, running man, you don't get out of this that easily.

No wandering off into the night with a poignant little theme tune rolling, thank you.

Discounting the 'killed your wife's rapist' thing, anyway?

Ah, one of the shitty Heaven/Hell combos, huh? Place must be packed. No wonder the 113 wanted out... :rolleyes:

...Are you here for the kid who shot him, or is it just coincidence that you two met?

Ooh, is this going to become an odd couple/buddy cop scenario? Because that would be hilarious. If short.
    "Okay, who's next on the list?"
    One remote eye-stabbing later...
    "Got them. Next?"

Ah, there's the sneaky side. Who does benefit from these souls being out of Hell, and who benefits from them returning?

That was a bit less ineffectual than I expected Zeke to be against a full Lantern. I guess Paul is conserving his charge. Still, they sorted out their little argument. I suspect the next step will be Satan turning up and having a moment of 'What the?' when he meets Paul. Because, if he's anything like other variants, there's not going to be a soul inside him. And that could be both a benefit and a liability in this show...

6. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

To be fair, as long as you feel guilty about doing evil things and have a sincere desire to repent you're (usually) good. Some of the escaped souls in Brimstone have sympathetic backstories, but one of the things they all (mostly) have in common is that they don't feel any remorse for what they did.

There was an episode where a Nazi felt remorse for what he did, so when he returned to Earth instead of tormenting others he tried to make up for it by helping the homeless. He ended up willingly letting Stone send him back to Hell. Really, he insisted. If I recall correctly, Stone was actually willing to let him go despite how much it would have bitten him in the ass.

When he does get his eyes destroyed, the special effects used for someone being sent back aren't as violent as they usually are. Apparently some people think this meant he actually got to go to Heaven this time. Others disagree and decide it was too little, too late. Basically saying, "Of course he felt bad. He learned firsthand that Hell was real."

Not really sure myself, but for the people actually in Hell it seems feeling bad about what you did after the fact doesn't typically get you out of Hell.

As I previously said about Stone . . . It wasn't so much the killing of the guy who raped his wife that got him sent to Hell. It was that he enjoyed killing him to the point of having no remorse.

So I guess even if you fully believe someone deserves it, as long as you still feel enough remorse for the act of killing that you ask forgiveness for it you'll probably be fine.

7. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

The one thing I've always wondered about Brimstone is what was the deal with the car...

kerleth, Ardy and Doccer like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

You think they put that on his record?
    Pretty much the exact opposite.

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Is this version of the SI going to help the leader of the escaped souls destroy both Heaven and Hell or something?

10. Handlewithcare

Nah, but it would be funny if it did :D

kerleth and Ardy like this.
  11. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

This OL has some of what I'd call OL-Prime's inhuman detachment.

Having someone mess with your eyes is like...peak "Survival instinct" reaction moment, and considering that OL has enough power to just say "No, fuck you, leave me alone." I am surprised he didn't do so.

kerleth, Cuchulin, Caerwen and 5 others like this.
  12. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

Given all of the contradictory bullshit that be found in the bible, most of the people in hell don't actually deserve to be there.

So I can see Paul actually help prevent all of the (relatively) innocent escapees stay escaped.

BTW I've never seen an episode of this show so for all I know they could all have been in there for just not believing or for being baby rapists.

13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The system didn't seem rigged like the Good Place or anything.

Satan convinced the cop that he was a bad person, that he was always a bad person, and that even if he succeeded in earning his get out of hell free card, Satan wasn't giving anything up, cause he'd just wind up in Hell again anyway.

An angel visited the cop, also played by John Glover (apparently sometimes when a person meets an angel, they like imprint on that angel, and see every angel as looking exactly like that angel, so since Satan was the first angel the cop had met...), told the cop that was hogwash.

"Were you perfect? No. But you wouldn't have gone to hell if you hadn't killed him. Even that wasn't black and white."

They were walking in a park, filled with women.

"These women. They are the women who were never raped because you killed him."

"Are you saying that makes it okay?"

"No. Absolutely not. But context matters."

So it wasn't a case of black and white insanity, but yeah, it was clear that some of the people sentenced to Hell were good people who did something bad enough that it took them over the line by whatever formula is used.

kerleth, Xelloss, Jaron and 4 others like this.
  14. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I’m just waiting for us to switch back to earth-16 and Paul say “Whaw Sportsmaster. That sure was an incredible adventure I’m never going to forget. Truly, there is now peace between us my brother. Welcome to the family!”

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    True Ninja, Bud-E and crazygrox like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    14:52 GMT -5

"Whaw Sportsmaster. That sure was an incredible adventure I’m never going to forget. Truly, there is now peace between us my brother. Welcome to the family!"

c3qo, kerleth, Duke Long and 28 others like this.
  16. earlyriser

earlyriser Getting sticky.

Anti-Life. Powerful stuff.

DeathlessProficiency likes this.
  17. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Wow

True Ninja, Assblaster5000 and Ardy like this.
  18. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thank you, corrected.

19. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Didn't Stone eventually shoot out its headlights and it steamed up and disappeared back to hell? I have a vague memory of that happening.

kerleth and Bramble Thorn like this.
  20. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Had a thought about the anti-life situation:
    Where is the Legion Fleet that was guaranteeing Venturia in all of this?

Xmaster3000 and Bramble Thorn like this.
  21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Why is this threadmarked?

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  22. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

To mess with us.

kerleth, CTrees, Jaron and 5 others like this.
  23. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

...random thought, but would Two Face be affected the same as anyone else is under the anti-life equation, or would his split personality mean only one personality gets impacted at a time?

24. Threadmarks: Jet Fighter (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    14:52 GMT -5

Alan looks concerned.

"Are you sure it's safe to bring them here?"

I look down as the Justified tear apart Belle Reve's front gate with some sort of magnetism control ability before driving in. They're not trying to rush through the outer defence cordon, and if the defences were manned they would be slaughtered. Even the automated defences would probably be able to kill them.

Waller gives me a sidelong glance. "I could always turn them back on."

I shake my head. "They're almost certainly victims, too. I'll shoot through a hostage if I have to, but in this situation there's really no need."

I turn and look over to where Mr. Mahkent is sitting on a construct bench in a flying construct prison bus and watching the movements below very carefully. Unlike his old colleague Mr. Crock, he never moved beyond city-level supervillainy, but he made it work for him profitably for a prolonged period of time. He's not a fool by any means, and while he's bound against certain types of hostility he is allowed to question the people giving him orders. A politely phrased 'how do we even know these people are coming for us' is well below the level the contract penalises and also undermines me in the event that I couldn't produce.

"Satisfied?"

He grunts quietly as the Justified leave their vehicles, obviously unusual helmets on their heads.

"Then if everyone's prepared, we will now sojourn to a place of relative safety. Orange Lantern to Mister Miracle, we're about ready."

Of course, I can fly us to Salem, but the area where the Tower intersects with normal space is standing room only at the moment and we're trying to avoid-.

I consider the majority of my passengers.

And I'm trying to avoid collateral damage. Mother Box is perfectly capable of bypassing the dimensional differences between normal Earth and the Tower of Fate's exterior, though Dr. Balewa will be checking everyone thoroughly before anyone gets inside.

I wish John was here. I know Diana's going to want to check on Themyscira as soon as possible, but-.

BOOM!

I'm flying myself and my passengers forward even as the aperture appears, construct bus convoy passing through without any difficulty. And then we're in a void where the only matter appears to be the tower roof. In a legacy of Fake John's time here it isn't using the 'stony tower' skin, but looks more like the top of a science fiction tower block. Or possibly the launch bay of a military space station.

The boom tube opening shuts behind us as we come in to land. Acting President Nathaniel Adams is in full service dress uniform to emphasise his position, with a small military detail one of the other retrieval missions recovered. Dr. Balewa and Angelica are on hand to check everyone over for residual influence and Batman is here to debrief me.

I need to find out where everyone else is.

I open the bus doors, and my guests begin making their way off my constructs. The guards and William move fairly quickly, Waller in particular marching off to speak to Mr. Adams. My redemption-in-progress prisoners leave the bus and then hesitate, watching their environment carefully. The enpacted on the other hand hesitate, not out of fear but in the same way a predator would in an open space. They want to see what's going on before they commit to moving.

So I dismiss the constructs.

Most land just fine. Several glare my way but I'm mildly pleased to see that no one… Invokes their penalty clause.

"Wizards, please report to Doctor Mist. Everyone else, please form lines and we'll get you situated just as soon as we've checked you over for residual Anti-Life infection." I generate constructs marking lanes. "Staff here,-" I make momentary eye contact with Dr. Quinzel and give her a reassuring smile. "-prisoners who were part of the accelerated release group here, remaining male inmates here and remaining female inmates here."

The last two groups aren't exactly in a hurry to obey, but they gradually move in the direction indicated. But first-.

"In the mean time, Mister and Miss Flinders, might I borrow you for a moment?"

He landed a little more heavily than she did, and consequently looks a little more put out with me. She just looks… Not completely blank, but blanker. Jade can fake facial expressions far better, but I suppose they didn't have exactly the same roles.

Mister Flinders trudges over, with his sister a little behind him. It's an instinctual thing, with him far better able to absorb damage than her it makes sense for him to take the lead and attract attention.

"Let's talk about Kobra." Fortunately, Mr. Burr elected to remain behind, not even deigning to turn away from his back wall when I went to speak with him. "Actually, do I need to get Mister Weiss over here-?"

"No." / "No."

"Very well. As I understand Kobra theology, shouldn't you be cheering right now?"

Miss Flinders gives me a thoughtful look. "Burr was declared a false messiah."

"True, but Lady Eve is still keeping the faith. It doesn't get much more Kali Yuga than this."

"I hope the contract doesn't only work if you believe in it."

And there's Mr. Crock. Alright, he stuck to the back of the male line and isn't that far away, and it's not as if there's anything else to draw attention.

"No, it still works, and Hinduism is perfectly accepting of the idea of hostile demons. But the Kobra variant is accelerationist-." Mr. and Miss Flinders look blank. "You were trying to bring civilisation down faster than would otherwise have been the case in order to minimise the time spent in the Age of Vice and hasten the return of the Age of Righteousness."

Miss Flinders nods cautiously.

"Thus, any evil act is justified because you're not embracing vice for yourself, but rather trying to make civilisation as evil as possible until it collapses. I'm still not completely clear where Jeffrey Burr comes in."

"He was supposed to make it happen, and rule over the new age."

"How? He's as much of a creature of the Age of Vice as the rest of us."

"He… We know he's not now, but he's the one we thought the prophecies were talking about."

"How would you recognise when it's happened?"

Mr. Flinders frowns. "When what's happened?"

"When the Age of Vice has reached maximum decay? Because I can't.. really imagine how life on Earth could get worse than 'Anti-Life is everywhere'. I mean, you felt that, right?"

Miss Flinders nods slowly, her eyes avoiding my face. "So, what? You think this is the Age of Righteousness?"

"No, but can you imagine living in the same way with what you've seen of yourself?" I give them a moment, but neither of them respond. "I think this is the last moment of the Age of Vice, and what comes after we win is the Age of Righteousness. I don't know exactly how we're going to get there either, but I think.. that's what happens. So I totally respect it if you want to die to bring about the next age, but I think there'll be a place for you in it if that's what you want."

Ah, yes. They had a normal cult indoctrination. They know the words, but the theology is a bit beyond them. This is why Scientologists don't tell people about Xenu at the start.

"Just think about it, alright?"

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  25. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

inb4 "No, I'm not the Messiah." "You hear that?! He must be the Messiah!" *Long-suffering sigh*

26. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

He is NOT the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

27. Handlewithcare

Paul. Paul stop coopting cults.

You're part of the friggin Ophidian. You play on the level of actual gods. People whorshipping you might have a point.

28. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

"He's the Chosen Avatar of Avarice! He must be the one to lead the Age of Vice to it's end!"

*Crowd cheers*

"You see, Paul? You see this? This is why we let Superman do the talking."

29. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

PLEASE. Clark is just as bad.
    Mr. IB[​IMG]

30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Is there anywhere on Earth that's safe at the moment? At least if your army is all together, it'll take less to protect them. Which raises all manner of questions about where they're going to muster the forces. Watchtower's still secret. Hall of Justice is in DC, right under the enemy's eyes. I doubt the Team wants the bad guys in their Mount Justice hangout...

And kill hundreds of brainwashed innocents. Sure, Wall, you go right ahead. I'm sure the jury will understand... :rolleyes:

And an object lesson is always useful, whether it be supplied by you or the foe.

Just think, if not for OL's kind offer, you'd soon be joining them down there. Assuming they didn't just shoot you where you lay.

And a bunch of giant orange-glowing buses are just a wee bit noticeable.

I expect the Tower will politely steer anyone not on the approved access list back to their mustering areas if they go wandering...

Hey, at least these Amazons aren't unleashing their super-science weapons on the world.

Oof. That last one is almost as scary as going toe-to-toe with Mannheim. Possibly moreso.

Well, then, maybe they just need a little push...

...That works. :p

I expect a little pushing and shoving as the more insecure try to establish some form of dominance.

Ah, the cult of Kobra contingent. What little there are present. Or at least the least fanatical about it.

What's the bet Kobra thought he could talk the Justified into falling at his feet? Pity it's unlikely that they'd just kill him.

For more explanation on that: The Kobra Cult. Basically, doomsday-cult stuff with veneer of Hinduist beliefs.

Which makes me wonder what they're up to in all this? Sitting around in religious bliss? Out there killing Justified? Who knows?

No doubt looking to sneak off. I doubt he trusts OL not to kill him, so there's a good chance he'll be one of the first to trigger the penalty clauses.

...Put that way, it sounds almost altruistic. Pity it came via violence and murder.

Which he would have been happy to do, being a power-hungry lunatic.

See, that's the problem with vague prophecies. Too often, someone might fit enough of the predictions to fool you into believing they're it.

...Yeah, Mammoth wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed even before he got Venom-Bustered... :rolleyes:

No, it's a time of transition. What, you thought it'd flip like a clock ticking over?

Ah, a little nudge to make sure they don't go off on a suicidal charge.

...I bet there's steam already rising off Mammoth's skull. :p

This is going to be a delicate round of people management, isn't it? Careful handling of each and every personality to make sure they don't get any independent ideas going... This is no time to have someone going off on their own tangent during a mission. And some of these fellows might chafe at being told what to do, after being the big dogs in the yard for so long at Belle Reve. I don't doubt there's going to have to be an example or two made before this is over...