1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well I guess a demonic lord is a good country for a god.

Eiling, you've certainly changed and became as ugly outside as you were inside.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not the first time something from the comics happened offscreen.

Not really.

I also find it difficult to tell the difference between being a Nazi and being delusional.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  3. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Didn't see you see them in this chapter? They're at the end of literally every sentence, the tiny dots before the quotation marks.

moralrelativity and CTrees like this.
  4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I know it's unlikely, but I kinda want to see Paul work with Task Force X in the future. Maybe they could do things that the Justice League can't legally do.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    They gave him the same choice he gave Adams.
    Corrected for Universe 16.
    If they were damned anyway, what's the problem? And they aren't sold, they're in hock.
    Can do.
    Thank you, corrected.
    The only one being enslaved forever is Colin Thornton. The rest are under contract for the duration of the crisis.
    I like that, though it should probably lose the word 'technically'. Also, being physically killed would merely be inconvenient given that he's a demon.

Cuchulin, DAT_NOOB, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Is that part supposed to be repeating?

Assblaster5000 and Mr Zoat like this.
  7. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Bonus Points for the fact the head of Hell works for Paul. He's got them coming and going.

Downside is we'll see how many of those irredeemable villains keep their contract and end up living. They will have a full pardon, after all, and if they're irredeemable there might be some Plans in the future.

I will never be over how big a change from canon Paul's Paulphidion stage making Conner not hang out with the Forever People caused.

8. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

I do enjoy the idea of renegade actions actually being useful for a change.

In ME, it was just 'be an obnoxious dickhead'
    The idea of "I've decided to put morality aside for the duration of the current crisis so that I can focus on problem solving." appeals to me.

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

10. egooo

egooo Getting sticky.

To be fair, there are quite a few cases (ME2) where Renegade interrupt is doing a more efficient thing, resulting in killing bunch of enemies player would otherwise have to fight, through a ruthless cutscene.
    Like torching a krogan with some gas in a pipe (I wanna say, Mordin loyalty mission?), or that one time against Eclipse mercs on Miranda loyalty mission.

That is to say, even in ME those sometimes have appropriate depth. It isn't a warcrame if there are no witnesses you are a Spectre, after all.

11. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yikes. Well, Paul still has a godzilla threshold and global Anti-Life most definitely crosses it.

kerleth, Prince Charon, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Yes, but killing someone who is boasting that he intends to launch a universal jihad of conquest and cannibalism isn't really a morally dubious action. Same with taking a shot with Garrus's sniper rifle without asking or blowing up mercenaries you were going to have to shoot dead anyway.

13. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

ME2's renegade prompts were just action hero movie moments.

14. Windona

Eh, ME's Renegade moments were still better than KOTOR's cartoonishly evil Dark Side options. (Though the fish thing was darkly funny).

Though I get the impression Captain Atom knows what OL was planning and approved of it.

Ardy likes this.
  15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You know, it's too bad LePaul isn't someone who could just blast all the transmission towers at once from orbit.

Or call on the God of Technology to force the transmission towers to shut down.

16. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

What fish thing?

17. Vorian

Vorian Versed in the lewd.

kerleth likes this.
  18. Windona

From KOTOR, though I remembered a funnier option.

cereal_lurker and Ardy like this.
  19. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Why is Paul going through this rigamarole with contracts and pardons instead of just branding everyone?

Caerwen likes this.
  20. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

I mean, he could. But it's effortless not to. Sticking to the precise word of your threats has nonzero value. Not large, but positive, not zero.

kerleth likes this.
  21. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Because he wants the Suicide Squad to be a thing.

Villains agreeing to it and then sticking to the agreement sets precedent for Suicide Squad viability where mind controlling them all would not.

kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Also the contracts hold even in the event of his death, as far as we know branding may revert upon his demise, and it's poor combat planning to not take into account losses.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There's also the possibility that altering their minds would have negative side effects, since they'll be fighting a force capable of damaging minds.

Windona likes this.
  24. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

The pointed tooth is called a canine. The incisors are the ones between the canines with the straighter tops -- not so good for breaking skin.

25. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Does he? He seemed firmly against it when he first discussed it with Waller. If I remember right, at least.

kerleth, True Ninja and Prince Charon like this.
  26. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

Remember when Paul got demonized by ambient magic in Hell?
    He looks immune to this application of anti-life.

27. Threadmarks: Brim Stoned (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Jet Fighter

25th October 1998
    21:12 GMT -7

"Ohshitshitohshit!" The terrified man laying on the pavement grabs my shoulders as I crouch next to him. "You gotta call me an ambulance, man!"

I smile, grabbing the side of his coat with my right hand and pulling it up to reveal the hole.

"You're fine." I wiggle my right forefinger through the double hole. "See? They missed. Amateur gunfighters often do."

"Whu-?" He frowns in confusion, staring at me and then at his own coat.

I unhook my finger and then pat him across the torso before holding up my hand. "No blood. Are you in any major pain?"

"N-? No?" He frowns harder, shaking his head as if he can't quite believe what's happened. "I-. I was?"

"It might have skimmed you, I suppose. Bullets are quite hot when they come out of the barrel, and if it skimmed you then you might have felt a burn. Do you want a hand up?"

"Ah..?"

I move my right hand under his left armpit and then stand, pulling him half-willingly up with me. He takes a moment and then pulls away, patting himself down as if to… No, to actually reassure himself that he's not injured. After a moment of finding nothing he calms down a little.

"Ah. Thanks."

I smile a little more broadly. "Your attacker was so shocked that I just had to shout at them and they ran off. Not a big deal. Ah. Are you going to be alright getting home, or do you want me to call you a taxi?"

"Did you-? Did you get a good look at them?"

I shake my head. "Sorry. Between the bad lighting and the adrenaline, not really. I mean, if you want to report it to the police I don't mind-."

"Nah. No, I'll-." He manages to relax a little. "I'll go talk to 'em tomorrow. Right now, I just wanna go home and hug my kids. And… Change their curfew to Five PM."

He laughs awkwardly and I nod. "Sounds wise. You have a good evening."

He nods, turning to walk away. He gets about half way to the sounds and lights of the next street, then stops and turns his head back towards me. I wave, and he awkwardly nods and keeps walking.

Good job his brain wasn't quite dead when I got to him.

My right hand moves to the faintly glowing orange ring on my left ring finger. Yes, I could easily have captured the idiot youth who nearly killed him, but after something like this I think tracking them down and having a stern word with them… Helping them sort their life out, will really do more good in the long run. It was supposed to be a threat and they were genuinely horrified-.

I frown as I catch sight of a blond… Slightly ratty-looking man at the end of the road, where whoever that was I just intercepted from his premature meeting with his maker went. He ducks back when he notices that I've seen him. Not sure what that's about.

Now, where's the first-time gunfighter gone? I'm sure this would be easier on a world with an established superhero tradition, but… Needs must where the Devil drives. This city's enough of a mess that even a neophyte like me can find people to help, and… Not like there's much point starting again on this world's version of Britain.

Okay, start walking, ratty man apparently having disappeared. Compare my target's location with a local map… A bar. I haven't been here long enough to know whether it's a criminal underworld type bar or if he just wants to steady his nerves. I walk at a pace, hands in pockets and making good time. He was running, but he's not thinking straight. I could just appear next to him, but I don't really want to blow my own cover. Or prompt him to panic into a relapse. Let him calm down, then have a word.

Never really been a fan of bars. Music, too many people in close proximity, dancing and alcohol. Still, I can usually get a laugh out of the bar tender.

I sit down, and manage to catch his eye.

"Yeah?"

"Orange juice, please."

He stares at me for a moment. "You know this is a bar, right buddy?"

"Ah, I apologise. Orange juice, I'm a great tipper."

"Hahaokay." He ambles over to the bar's fridge. "You want ice?"

"In October? No, thank you."

He takes the cap off the bottle and pours it into a glass before putting it down in front of me. I pass him a twenty dollar bill before picking it up and taking a sip. Well… I… Shouldn't have expected freshly squeezed. The barman-.

"Hey."

I turn to my left, and it appears that ratty-man has followed me here. He's looking at me… Rather intensely-.

"Hello?"

"So, ah. How do you wanna do this?"

Ah. I've never really been sure how to handle this sort of situation. I knew… Los Angeles was basically America's Brighton, but it still…

Just have to learn to deal with it, I suppose.

"Ah. Look, I'm sure you're a splendid chap, but you're not really my type, and even if you were, congress in public toilets is extremely unhygien-"

"Ah, no, no-."

"ic-. Oh. Sorry, I-. Just assumed-." He looks as awkward as I feel. "I'd.. buy you a drink by way of apology, but I'm worried that would be giving mixed messages."

"No. Jesus. Look, I-. Saw what you did for that guy."

Ah.

"Are you a police officer?"

"I… Was."

I blink in bafflement. "What the heck did you do to get fired from the Los Angeles Police Department?"

"No, I was.. in the NYPD."

Okay… Nineties computers, but I'll manage-.

His right hand's gone under his coat, because… He just saw my eyes flash.

"That won't be necessary, Detective Stone-."

Who is listed as dead. Huh.

"Again, not wanting to give mixed messages, but you're looking surprisingly good for a man your age, who's been dead for fifteen years. Um. Are you under cover?"

His face hardens slightly. "How about we take this outside?"

"Um. Okay?"

I down my orange juice and then set the glass back down on the bar. Barman… It's a busy evening, and I think $20 for a small low quality orange juice covers the 'generous tip' part. I step back from the bar as Detective Stone gestures for me to go first.

The man I'm looking for is downing shots at the other end of the bar. He's not going anywhere. I nudge my way past the flow of people entering the bar and head out with a shrug. Other than myself, Detective Stone is the first sign I've seen that anything supernatural exists on the Earth, and I'm definitely curious what that-.

"Time to give the Devil his due."

"Um." I turn to face him as he raises his gun. "What?"

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

29. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Uh, what world is this?

And the hell kinda guy kills someone for saving a life? Dick move, Ex-Detective.

30. Awkward

Awkward Know what you're doing yet?

Is this the universe from the Lucifer show?