1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Thou shalt not kill is for humans, isn't it?

I said it was the easiest way, not the only way I never implied it was the only way
    It's the difference between being put in the back of a beat cops car after being arrested and having an expensive parade celebrating the fact you where arrested.
    the easiest way to get him to heaven is to kill him via an angel and even if it wasn't costly to make a portal how you'd think the angels believe Paul (who has repeatedly insulted even his own gods) will react to being given orders from the silver city?

2. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

I think our arguments have gone circular. Can we stop them and sit patiently waiting for our beloved author to dispense another chapter?

Please?

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Minor but important correction, the correct translation is "Thou shalt not murder" not "Thou shalt not kill".

There is an distinct and important difference between the two from a moralistic standpoint.

Coda, Simonbob, WhiteNoise and 2 others like this.
  4. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

a bit more coherent now.
    huh. a reasonable, fairly polite debate. well done everyone
    *offers star-stickers, sips coffee*

Coda, Vorian, Jormuungaand and 2 others like this.
  5. Threadmarks: Angelic (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

28th January
    13:12 GMT -5

"I am not answerable to human law. Unhand me!"

Officer Danvers stares for a moment at the blonde woman in the female Superman costume and then turns his head towards me. "You wanna explain to me what this is?"

"Your daughter's room mate."

He frowns, then shakes his head. "She didn't say anything about having a room mate."

"Sorry, I'm being poetic. They're literally sharing a body. Or.. something similar to that. Not entirely sure why or how, reversing it is one of the things we're going to be working on."

He blinks. "What?"

"She says that she's Noriel, the Fire of God. A presently-disempowered angel."

"Then why is she-?"

"Assuming that she's not just crazy, because on New Year's Day she tried to kill me. And earlier today she tried to kill a group of suspects, two of my colleagues, four or five of yours and me again. I rather hoped that the whole 'sky is on fire' thing had rather got people out of the 'angels equals good' mindset, but if it hasn't then I'm just going to have to ask you to do your job and take this suspect to the police station."

"If my daughter's in there-."

"She's uncooperative and loyal to the leader of the group probably producing the Devil Jizz, who is her boyfriend. We can't control the shift between the two individuals stuck in there, so I'd much rather leave it set to the one who is being helpful. Once Buzz is in custody, then, if we can't immediately undo the spell, we can sort out a timeshare."

He hesitates then nods, holding the rear door of his car open. "Ma'am?"

She shoots me a venomous look, but enters the car of her own free will. Officer Danvers closes the door behind her before getting into the driver's seat and pulling away.

I raise my left hand to my ear, taking a look at the knife Ms Danvers dropped. My rune stone shows that it's definitely enchanted, though I don't know what it's supposed to do beyond 'something demony'. "Orange Lantern to team. Linda Danvers is in custody. She appears to have been merged with another individual and they're alternating control of their shared body."

"You sure she's not just crazy, Oh El?" Richard sounds more amused than the situation really warrants. "Because that sounds a lot more likely."

"The transition is accompanied by a physical transformation."

"Rose Canton changed physically when she switched over to Thorn."

And produced observable magic effects which her alter ego couldn't. Was she just feeding me a line about being that angel? Was anyone actually watching that fight?

"True, and it's possible, but the individual in question claimed to be the one angel I stabbed with the Sword of the Fallen, and not a lot of people know about that. If exactly what's going on in her head really matters, we can investigate further. In any case, Noriel -that's the name the other individual gave for herself- informed me that Buzz performed the ritual which bound the two of them together. Tempest? Cornwall? Is that something we can track?"

"Ah… We could track her back to the ritual site. I do not know if I could track the individual who performed the ritual."

"Huh. I probably could. Fire magic's not that hard to track. I've actually got more experience with it than anyone else on the team."

"Aqualad, if you wouldn't mind detaching Cornwall Boy? We can make a start on hunting down Buzz."

"I agree. We have not yet encountered enough resistance to justify our presence."

"I'm not complaining." Roy sounds rather pleased with himself for some reason. "The fewer fights break out, the less collateral damage, right?"

"Or they could all be getting ready to ambush us." Beryl sounds just as cheerful, and I find myself smiling at her attitude. "We've only got evidence of one person using Devil Jizz to pick a fight. According to the police interviews, all the rest of them were just getting high off it."

I rise up into the air, looking around with empathic vision to find Robert. As I sight him I note that he's a lot happier with his place in life than he was when we first met. He really likes being on a superhero team.

"Drug addicts are not known for being honest." Leonid sounds less amused. "Is not the demon threat significant enough that we are allowed to use truth compulsion magic upon them?"

"Demons as a whole, yes. But we haven't actually seen any demons yet. Just people using magic. There are dozens of augmentation drugs that dwarf could have taken to murder that man. Heck, Rag Doll could have done it with a knife. It's not really special."

I hear Wallace exhale. "I'd vote for someone who wanted to make truth magic part of police interviews. Y'know, if I wasn't going to miss the election by five days."

"Cornwall Boy, I have your location." I put one zeta tube construct down next to him and another in the burned street. "Transport to a site where Noriel used her magic available."

"Going through it now."

Transit in progress.

"Huh, yeah. Shouldn't be too hard to follow this."

I dismiss the zeta tube constructs, then transition myself to his location. "Cornwall and I will track Buzz down. I'll let you know when we find him. Orange Lantern out."

Robert nods at me, eldritch sort-of-fire flowing from his hands. Then he rises into the air, supported only by his conjured winds as he heads to where Noriel bombarded us from. "Up here, right?"

"Quite correct."

"Appreciate you giving me the chance to do this, but… How come you didn't get Doctor Fate on it instead?"

"Our mission is to prevent the distribution of Devil Jizz. Not to fight Triskele."

"But we could, right?"

"No idea. I can tell you her history and some of her better recorded feats, but exactly what her limits are? Pass. Don’t know. I don't think any fight is hopeless- "

He raises his hands over his head and slowly turns to take in our surroundings.

"-but it isn't a fight we're really geared up for, so I'd rather leave it for Doctor Fate and Angelica."

Or Mammon. I didn't think for a moment that he'd cut off the flow of Devil Jizz, as it's the thing keeping Rosacarnis on-side. But I did think that he'd prevent visible spill over. If Triskele has been bypassing his supply chain, he might be able to justify coming down hard on her. I imagine that Rosacarnis would appreciate getting rulership over the Succubae once she's gone. Or… Really, I don't have.. much of a problem with demon pacts as long as the people signing up know what they're getting into. Triskele doesn't even follow the letter of her pacts, but… If the people using Succubae Jizz got consent from their clients in advance and knew what they were giving their demonic sponsors, that's… Really no worse than most business contracts.

"Okay, those… Those are places we already checked with Aqualad. Did Noriel say anything about where this happened?"

"In a forest. Could be at the 'S'' marked site Robin found, but-."

"Yeah, that's her magic. But there's another place." He activates the holomap on his arm computer and points. "Right.. there."

"Right then." Ring scan shows nothing much at the site. "Transition in two, one."

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Oh Paul... Someone really needs to sit you down and explain about how Good and Evil actually exist in this universe...

7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Wait, so what is the place they’re looking for / found? Slightly confused.

8. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Nice to see some insight into Hell’s current politics that addresses the issues I brought up a few days ago.

I wonder if we’ll get another interview where Paragon tries to convince people of the fallibility of the Silver City, or at least that humans don’t have all the necessary/objective information to make value judgments. Third time’s the charm after all.

I know very little about Linda Danvers, though it’s amusing she shares a surname with Marvel’s superficially similar superhero. Where does the name Matrix come from exactly? I’m assuming the name Noriel is Zoat’s invention.
    Maybe she can join whatever Zauriel is doing nowadays- personally, I’m imagining an angelic road trip learning about humanity.

Ardy, Vorian and DAT_NOOB like this.
  9. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, that'll go over well with the judge...

Officer Danvers stares for a moment at the blonde woman...

Seriously, superheroes are involved. Why are you surprised?

Feeling a bit testy, OL?

Should this be 'Officer' for consistency's sake?

Did she grow six inches, change her face and hair, and gain two or three cup sizes?

I like how we could tell who was talking just by vocabulary.

Good to see some genre savviness.

Seeing one of the positive influences you had definitely improves the mood.

Reads a bit oddly. Perhaps 'the eldritch sort' would work?

"Appreciate you giving me the chance to do this, but…

He raises his hands over his head and slowly turns to take in our surroundings.

So, likelihood of Buzz being present at the second site, and a fight ensuing... Place your bets, folks!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  10. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yes, but if angels can be evil, can demons be good? In this particular universe not everything in hell is evil, and Mammon at the very least is somewhat controlled by Paul.

11. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Sort of random question, but have we seen a Paul in the 40k universe so far?

12. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

According to a link provided a few chapters ago, Matrix is called such because that’s what an alternate good version of Luthor from a pocket universe named her (Superman was dead before he grew up in that universe (as Superboy)) when he created her partially from an artificial life form called the “protoplasmic matrix” and with the synaptic pathways and original body of his dead love, Lana Lang. She then shapeshifted to be blonde and eventually left him.

Ardy and DrThoth like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

14. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

The 'good' guys kill innocent people and apparently have no free will, and the evil guys torture countless billions of people.

So... it's sorta like WH40K. It's not so much 'good' and 'evil' as it is 'evil' and 'even more evil', with the occasional 'slightly less evil' if you're lucky.

15. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Also, he’ll is currently getting better, due to demons not being explicitly evil, but sinful, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing if directed well.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You conflating the DC universal concepts of Good and Evil with the human decided morality of what good and evil is.

Also Paul thinks Mammon is, but Paul hasn't checked his control since before Wonder Woman hit everything in the area with that conceptual Truth wave. And I wouldn't bet money on the false desires Paul implanted in Mammon having survived that.

That "no free will" thing was disproven awhile ago.

Did you miss everything in hell being built out of tortured souls?

WhiteNoise and infinityDivided like this.
  17. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Kara's original pseudonym was Linda Lee.

In 1961, she was adopted by the Danvers, so Linda Danvers has been a pseudonym for Supergirl for decades now, even given a nod in the tv show, where she is Kara Danvers.

Ms Marvel/Binary/Captain Marvel/Warbird, aka Carol Danvers, debuted in 68, but didn't get superpowers til 77. If she had debuted as a superheroine with solar charged alien powers, well, but since she didn't I suspect it's just a coincidence.

18. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Yes it was an omake.

19. Buggy123

While i'm not a expert on what he did (that would be Zoat), they weren't false desires. OL basically took his soul, and forcibly reshaped it, turning it into something more suitable to his purposes. It's not some kind of mental overlay or brainwashing, it's more like a mix of assimilation and branding, and a truth wave wouldn't exactly undo assimilation, now would it?

IIRC, OL said that the only way he could think of for Mammon to undo it himself would be careful and extended introspection. So... basically exactly the same sort of thing that would change legitimate desires as well.

And as Mammon said, he isn't particularly upset by the changes (because of the changes), and so he's not going to do that. No struggling against it, or rage that they can't control themselves; that kind of mind control is silly. OL didn't impose a course of action, he imposed a conclusion, and that conclusion is that Mammon happily works with OL to their now-mutual best interests.

20. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Did Paul just hand over a known criminal (Linda certainly is) to her father in the police force? Hello massive conflict of interest? Was the knife enchanted with the stupid charm making all that hold it terminally stupid?

Jormuungaand likes this.
  21. Buggy123

OL isn't a helpless citizen cowering under the rule of corrupt officials. He's a well known superhero with substantial capabilities and has (kinda) good relations with the Justice League. If he finds out that Linda 'mysteriously' vanished from custody/had all charges dropped, OL could easily go 20 layers of authority over that officer's head and get him in a lot of trouble. And I'd be surprised if that officer didn't figure this out.

22. Chaoswind

The guy should have reclused himself the moment Paul told him the suspect was his daughter (IE he should have told Paul to hand her to another officer or to take her to the precinct himself if no other officer is readily available)... That he didn't is cause enough for concern.

Prince Charon likes this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Was there? Gosh, you people remember this better than I do.

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Actually, if I'm remembering correctly, it wasn't an omake, but a sort of side-note you posted. Something about 40K Paul being conflicted about branding people into being good, but the "good guys" having no problem with what Paul was doing to their enemies.

25. Maelgwyn

Maelgwyn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well Matrix was some sort of shapeshifting creation of an alternate good Lex Luthor partially patterned off Superman's physiology, apparently the name comes from her being a "protoplasmic matrix". As for Noriel, there's a Puerto Rican rapper by the name, so not sure if that's a coincidence or if our resident fallen has some hobbies they are trying to hide;).

Navi-Hank, Vorian and DrThoth like this.
  26. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Link?

Drode likes this.
  27. Chaoswind

It wasn't an omake... Unless he has a very strange definition of what an omake is... Then again I don't follow Mr Zoat everywhere, so if he posted it somewhere else outside the main thread, or it wasn't threadmarked, then I probably missed it.

I do remember someone asking Zoat about how Paul would handle things if he was in 40k and Zoat posting a meaty reply, but beyond that I got nothing... I am just following the motions and reading updates like a machine because best magic girl Zatanna got her heart broken in the mehragon timeline and the competency timeline.

WhiteNoise and Navi-Hank like this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It was a wave of conceptual Truth any mental change made to another being would be undone by something like that.

As to Assimilation, if Zoat was playing the rules for that straight, the Truth wave would have broken his control over any constructs he had out at the time. (Mind you he didn't because he had no ring)

29. Buggy123

How do you know a Truth wave works like that, and to that extent? Truth probably wouldn't affect permanent mind/soul alteration like assimilation; their 'truth' changed, and that's now their true form. There's no false mental overlay, control, w/e to affect.

I mean, if we're saying that it does that, why wouldn't it, say... revert demons to their 'true' pre-death human state? Heal any injury/death by restoring people to their 'true' form? Convert demon machinery back into the souls made to use it? Convert assimilated constructs back into the people they used to be?

Also, if it was that easy to free assimilated constructs, I feel like the controller(s?) researching them to see if they could be freed would have found that. It's not like they're unfamiliar with magic.

30. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

It would maybe reverse pure mind control of the sort where it’s like a “geas”, where you can try to resist it, but nothing happens - a mental compulsion. But the control Zoat used is different.