1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

No, that's one's correct. "I thought that of orks" is slightly *casual* grammar, but it's still gramatically correct.

However:

'they assume that the Tau Empire'.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    I don't know what that word is supposed to be.
    No, that's correct as it is.
    I'm not sure they were in 2nd Edition.
    Thank you, corrected.

3. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Depending on how The Faultless One develops, them becoming an "Aengel" of The Greater Good, helping the philosophy to grow into a metaphysical force of Order/Faith in the Immaterium to counter the Ruinous Powers would certainly be welcome!

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yes, I rather imagine you do. This is far from a typical assimilation integration scenario. Still, sensible to use people less likely to screech 'Heresy Foul daemonic heresy!' when they see the giant being of metal.

...That is a very complex question. And I'm not sure P'Aul can answer it with any accuracy, metaknowledge or not.

...Holy shit, that's going right to the top.

...Kind of? :confused:

Furies are still beasts of Chaotic energies. Faultless here... Is decidedly anything but Chaotic.

Yeah, trying to 'civilise' Orks is a useless endeavour. Their own nature and reinforcing parapsychic field self-corrects 'abnormal' behaviour. It's also why they never seem to fall to Chaos, or suffer from Genestealer cults.

...Was he doing the Tau equivalent of hyperventilating? This has him so worried that he's having panic attacks? Shiiiit.

Probably not as reassuring given P'Aul's smooth forehead, but whatever works.

When the buck stops with you, expect a rough ride... :oops:

Oh, Tau do have souls. In the Chaos God's eyes, they're small, thin things with no real taste to them. But they do have them.

Like filling up a bucket of water with other fluids until all the water is gone...

...Please, don't try that. o_O I rather suspect it would earn the eternal enmity of whatever Craftworld that Avatar belongs to.

Accurate, but really understating the sheer enormity of the concept...

And why would Khorne give up his Gym Buddy? :p (That's a TTS side-gag reference, folks.)

Heck, there's even precedent for Humans becoming something... More. The Legionnaires as mentioned there, Living Saints, entities like the Sanguinor... Strange things can happen.

There's old fan theories of daemons of Order. Though they all vary in how and why and even what... Perhaps this guy could be one such possibility.

Perhaps that very mechanisation, that reduction of emotion and self, is what allowed Faultless to survive the birthing process without being eaten by another Warp entity. Such a place, a collection of feelings, would be like a dull, dark spot in the Immaterium.

To be fair, Big E does have... Opinions... About all manner of Warp entities. Not just daemons. Enslavers, Vampires, Astral Hounds and so many more... And most of them hostile to mortal beings.

In other words, play nice with Faultless, and they'll have no reason to be hostile.

The joy of apparently being the first of your kind.

...Yeah, that isn't going to be a fun road-trip.

I didn't expect this to be able to be kept secret for long, honestly. But having the highest authority of the entire Tau Empire wanting a word? :confused: That... Okay. It's not even going to be an easy discussion, simply because of all the unknowns involved. Still, at least the Faultless One is making themselves useful to the Greater Good, if only by encouraging better working conditions for their Human worlds.

...emergency field medicine is carried out on the scalded work force.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

There is literally nothing accurate in here...

The Emperor could exist because he pre-dated the Chaos Gods.

Khaine didn't merge with Khorne because that's not a thing.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    [​IMG]
    Chaos Orks were a Rogue Trader thing, but orks have been genestealer-compatible for the whole run.

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Also... Everyone congratulate this Paul on dooming an entire sector to a fate worse than death.

Because there is no debate about what happens in these cases. The Daemon Princes very existence in the Materium draws Real Space and The Warp closer and closer together till inevitably the planet is warped into a Daemon World.

8. monochromaticPrism

monochromaticPrism Getting out there.

If I understand the implications of the conversion correctly, they are going to be moving him around from world to world. Assuming he never stays anywhere too long that probably won’t happen. Also thus far he seems to be on the weaker end of Daemon Princes, which would impact the speed of any passive corruption.

That aside, if his nature really is closer to that of an avatar or stable Daemon Prince equivalents like Saint Celestine then it might not be an issue at all.

9. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Here's a thought: could the ring translation system serve to allow communication with a C'tan?

I don't mean one of the ones the Necrons messed with, I mean one of the ones still in a star somewhere.

Because I'm noticing that the Necrons went straight from being restricted to a limited area of space, to being at war, to being hostile to embodied C'tan and sealing both the shattered embodied C'tan, and themselves away.
    They cannot have checked every star in the galaxy, and if any C'tan didn't get caught by Necrons or warp threats, and if in their natural state C'tan reproduce, there should be a thin scattering of the species across the galaxy.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  10. Mr Zoat

They may not exist. 2nd Edition Necrons were rather different to both 3rd and... When was the next Necron retcon? The poc'tan one.

11. Tzeentch

Cue a number of Tau scientists and recruited psykers being tasked with the help of The Faultless One to create an enclosed environment safe from warp predators and the more vicious currents, so as to grow warp entities that aren't Chaos aligned, help them become strong enough to handle what lies beyond and guard the souls of the Tau Empire.

12. crazygrox

Assuming that Living Saints and the more powerful Machine Spirits are warp entities grown at the warp reflection of their physical location, rather than created as fragments of their associated god.

I think growing a useful warp entity might still take hundreds of years, and potentially a lot of worship, extreme mental states, and sacrifice of lives.
    I think taking that on as a deliberate project might be within the abilities of a society that has life extension (to make the span of the project seem more politically tenable), and which operates on a far larger scale than the scale required to create a warp entity.
    But I'm not sure that the Tau have those features at this time. Whether in longevity or scale. Do they?

13. Tzeentch

I like to think creating Tulpas is MUCH easier in places where the Warp is calm.... or at least calmer than in most areas, hence my idea of creating a specially prepared area for the purpose of the creation of such entities.

Besides, I find the thought of the Faultless One being something of a nanny to the developing "egregores" gathering healthy thoughts/emotions for the "little ones" to feed on and grow strong entertaining.

Course, given that Paul's shared on how The Emperor came to be, I wonder if the Ethereals might get the idea to replicate the feat, (minus the mass suicide part), seeking to create gestalt souls from the Tau dead, their souls preserved with the Faultless One's help, (or by any technological help if they succeed where the Thorians failed), which would then reincarnate as Tau with incredible strong souls.

And should it prove successful, the process would be repeated on a greater scale, over and over....

mastermenthe and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Wouldn't work, for a number of reasons. Most obvious of which being they would have to transport the thing through a warp rift. Which would fuck things up even worse.

To be absolutely blunt about this, people have tried to do this before. It's an easy and obvious way to power/protection. And each and every time it ends the same way because there's no other way it can end.

Also Saint Celestine isn't a Daemon.

She's a human soul that's durable enough to do what the Eldar used to do and re-coporiate after dying.

Cuchulin, Jaron and Tzeentch like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

I doubt it. They know that tau have much less of a warp presence than humans, and as such make terrible building materials for gods. If they don't believe the SI, they can check with warp-capable allies.

16. Tzeentch

It's not so much "gods" but rather stable Psykers that I was thinking of, creating gestalt souls who besides being naturally spiritually resistant to the daemonic thanks to the strength of their souls, can pass on their psychic traits to their descendants when they grow up, with said descendants being designated to receive gestalt souls as well, thus starting the cycle anew, which will continue for hundreds if not thousands of years until they eventually start producing "Anathema/Emperor" grade Psykers.

The process might be quicker with human souls though.

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The problem is that's not a thing that can be done anymore.

The Eldar fucking the Eye of Terror into existence functionally broke the Warp. Worse, the Chaos God's are actively working to keep the Warp broken. And because of this certain things that were possible to do before the Eye of Terror formed, just aren't possible to do anymore.

One of these things is forming new gods or entities like the Emperor.

It's why the Eldar had to create their own closed system outside the Warp to create Ynnead.

Ciber, Cuchulin and Jaron like this.
  18. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Does anyone have an image in mind for this Faultless warp entity?

I wonder if any Kroot shaman or spiritualist will have strong opinions about the way this entity integrates souls into its form, rather than tearing them apart.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  19. Mr Zoat

He looks like the Silver Surfer, but just a little off, the machine parts concealed but not gone.

20. crazygrox

I can't find it on the internet, and I haven't really read the tabletop editions, I'm mostly into the books, fanfics, and I once read the Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy rulebooks.

Though thinking of this has once again sparked another thought: thematically The Faultless One seems like it'd be into arranging for neglected or ill-used bits of machinery, or possibly ill-used people, to turn on those responsible for their poor situation, and kill them.

I'm wondering whether the personalityless pre-retcon Necrons are still supposed to all have been people that were converted at some point(I can find reference to human blanks being turned into necron pariahs that makes me think that may be the case), and I'm wondering whether Oldcrons had the sort of 'even their impossibly advanced self-repair systems are gradually running down and letting them fall apart under the weight of millions of years' aesthetic that I've seen some fics describe Necrons as having, or whether Oldcrons were supposed to be new-build technology the C'tan just recently created.

Because there are possible states of affairs where the Faultless One should have really good attacks to use on Necrons. If there's not enough stuff interfering with warp entities around.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  21. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

C'tan went from single God Beings to Shards when they got to....5th edition if I have my sources right.

In 3rd ed's BBB (Big Black Book, aka core rulebook) 'crons were lumped in with other xenos, before that they were 'chaos androids' and 'Necron Raiders' under 2nd ed stuff. They got their Full Codex under 4th, and the Dynasties show up in 5th, which puts New 'Crons sometime after 2008, same time they removed Pariahs as a unit.

Xmaster3000 and mastermenthe like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You got this idea from the TTS episode where that one guy mentioned making more entities like Big E and then having them breed, right?

Maybe human or alien psykers that strongly believe in the Greater Good could pull something like that off.

I think there was once a story in which some humans traveling through the Warp were helped by an entity that may have embodied the Greater Good.

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That wasn't humans, it was the remains of the Tau's fourth sphere expansion fleet.

And that event involved the Tau fleet getting stuck in the warp, and ritually sacrificing every single non-tau in their fleet. An act which the fourth sphere survivors have continued to repeat to any new non-tau auxillery's assigned to them.

So yea, if you want Chaos Corrupted Tau, that's how you get Chaos Corrupted Tau.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  24. Tzeentch

Hence my earlier mention of the possibility of an enclosed space fashioned for the purpose of creating beneficial warp entities.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's straight up not possible for anyone outside of the Eldar because doing such a thing requires Spirit Stones, Wraithbone, and billions of souls that are at least at the level of a moderate psyker.

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. Threadmarks: Xenopsychology (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

6 563 941.M41

"So what's aw this abawt, then?"

Gremlin reaches up with his right hand to scratch his right ear, his eye ridges raised in my direction.

Orkoids don't have eyebrows, or any other body hair. Other than a couple of days where I got him a hair squig and he had a lot of fun trying a bright pink rat tail and top knot. And their facial expression comes more from their mouth than their relatively small foreheads. He had to learn that gesture by watching me.

"Gremlin, you know more about the way tau politics works than I do."

"That ain't what I mean, boss. You bin flyin' around an' doin' stuff for the tau for years. They fawt you was a daemon when they met you."

"So..?"

"So what changed? Why's they treatin' Faultless Boy different?" He taps his right forenail on the table. "Can't be 'cos he's a daemon."

"I think it's more that they now know enough to be scared."

"So why's they invitin' awl a' us who bin spendin' time with him to T'au? That'd be a ded stoopid thing t' do if he was go'na make trouble, innit?"

"I said they knew better. I didn't say they knew everything. Honestly, it's unlikely that it's actually going to reach Aun'va."

"But takin' a fing off'f the dekkodakka list-."

"The what?"

"You know. They can't be part a' the Greater Good, so shoot 'em when you see 'em. Dekko, dakka."

I smile. "Well, then it would be the dekko dakka directory, wouldn't it?"

He visibly thinks for a moment. "Kritikul enkawnta krumpin kompendium."

I shake my head. "The 'en' sound is too heavy."

He grins. "Konkurrence?"

"Um… Ah…" I grin back. "Maybe?"

"Think aw'll tell awll a' the orks I meet, 'bawt how the bugboyz rank higher 'an us on that. Should deawl with that whole problem."

"Might be a bit 'high concept' for most warbosses."

"'The blueboyz think the bugboyz 're harder 'an you'. I think they'd get it."

I shrug. He's probably right, though I think they'd probably attack the tau for the insult rather than the tyranids. Orks are more attackers of opportunity than planners.

"But anyways, Undyin' Spirit's the one who decides who goes on an' off, yeh?"

"As I understand it, he makes the final determination. But he's the head of a council of very senior and very well informed people. I doubt that it's going to purely be him." I frown. "Are you worried?"

"Bit, yeah. I'm on the list, too."

"You mean the kompendium?"

He doesn't look amused any longer. "No. I don't."

I nod, and insert trivial small talk into the monitoring systems.

"Sorry. Look… I… I'm working for the Tau Empire because I think they're the closest thing this era has to a civilisation that I want to be part of. That doesn't mean that I'm not aware that they don’t always make the best decisions. If they rule against you, then I'll get you out and drop you off somewhere."

His ears flick as he stares at me contemplatively.

"Really?"

"Yes. You're my friend. You haven't done anything contrary to the interests to the Greater Good, and you've joined in our work enthusiastically. If they can't see that, they're the ones mistaken."

"Oh. Thanks, boss. Course, that… Does leave the question 'how'?"

"If they were going to kill you, then they'd just order Kais's team to sneak up on you in their stealth suits. So they either do actually want to talk to you themselves, or they're going to make a big show of it."

"An' if-."

"If they're going to make a show of it, then I guess I'm working for Farsight now. Ah, though I'd… Probably drop you off somewhere else. Otherwise… The tau can be pleasantly surprising in their rationality a lot of the time. Give them a chance."

"Yeah." He nods. "Alwite. So, same with Faultless Boy?"

"T'au has a much bigger population than Lar'shi. More high level experts. It's not like they've had the opportunity to examine a cooperative daemon before. In his case… He can't exactly die, he'd just get banished. But you know what tau are like with the warp; they'd probably just put him in a research institution somewhere isolated. I'm more worried about what he'll want. Or that they'll-."

"Try feedin' him souls like the Emprah?"

"It's something I want to be very clear about being impossible. We'd need a golden throne for a start, and we don't have one."

"Think I can back you up there, boss. Tau and sorcery don't sound like things that should mix."

"Thank you."

"Here, listen…" Orkoids can't really look awkward, either, but he's giving it a go. "Orks don’t have families. Got mates, some of them, but a yoof just gets grabbed by whateva mob's abawt and hit ovah the head 'til he does what he's tole. You… Took a little snotling, an'… Made me. Tort me. Like I'm someone with something to contribute. Valuable, an' a person an' that. An' we fight togevah and.. learn stuff togevah, and… I guess what I'm tryin' ta' say, is…"

He looks directly at me, his face relaxing.

"When is you gunna make an honest woman outa Tsua'm Raard?"

"Um, what? That's not where I-. You've been talking to Bo'ohk about human humour, haven't you?"

"Bit. I do like that you've put a lotta effort inta me, I just don't have the brain gubbins to think of you as a father or anything like that. No offence."

I nod. "None taken. So what makes you think-?"

"Come on, boss. You explainin' the plot of every human story where humans an' aliens pair off, an' the underlying psychological mechanism for why a human would do it, was a ded giveaway. An' how you keep remindin' her how you like tau better than humans. An' how you deliberately don't tell her what you actually want 'cos of her orders."

"You said something to her after I spoke to that genestealer cultist."

"She wasn't gettin' it. I just sed somethin' abawt the eldar they've got locked in there."

Dark Eldar don't last long in captivity, even in a null zone. We're still not really clear why. Slaanesh shouldn't be able to drain them when they're cut off from the warp, but I suppose that means that they can't sustain their bodies with warp energy either. Tau… Tend to leave Exodite worlds in their space alone these days, and I actually got to be present during a diplomatic meeting with officials from a Craftworld passing through the Empire, which… Went about as well as it could have done.

"I find eldar fairly unattractive, actually. In terms of personality-."

"But now she's thinkin' abawt you an' aliens like somethin' that could actually happen."

"Thank you for your wingmanning efforts. I'll remember it if we ever run into Uthan the Perverse. They're into orks."

He looks sceptical for a moment, then realises that I'm not joking. "Should be interestin'."

"Please tell me if Tsua'm actually says anything to you."

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'thing'.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"thing this"

"The tau"

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think that 'the' should be removed.

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

This has big annyoing-yet-sometines-sincere sibling energy. Perhaps the closest an Ork can come to a family relationship?