1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

It's delightful moments like these that makes me love the renegade timeline.

kerleth, Vorian, DAT_NOOB and 5 others like this.
  2. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

'angels of their nature' since Steven Pinker wrote a book with something like that in the title (and probably before that, I can't be bothered googling). I think it's 10-15 years ago.

3. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

Agree to disagree.

012345 and moralrelativity like this.
  4. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

How do you think that would have gone? I seem to remember Lina being apathetic until it was time for explosions.

CTrees and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  5. TodaBruh

TodaBruh Fiction is life's spice <( ̄︶ ̄)↗

Pony land runs on magical girl bs.

6. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Depends on the anime.
    Nanoha is a great role-model.

7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

:confused: ...Huh. I always remember her as a short-tempered tsundere prone to dropping destructive magic on people at the slightest provocation (Albeit resulting in comedic-level cosmetic injuries...)

:oops: Might change the reference. Maybe a line about changing her costume...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Vorian and mastermenthe like this.
  8. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ Dystopian Hugs

Can someone remind me whats happening with orange lanterns in renegade.

cheers.

9. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

Randy is that you?

Xmaster3000, Jack of Olives and Ardy like this.
  10. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Grayven founded the Orange Lantern Corps in Tamaran, with ghe help of Hinon and Lysis, Kalmin's apprentice. Then he put Dox in charge of everyday operations while Grayven himself is supreme commander or whatever he wants to call it.

I believe most of the Orange Lanterns are Tamareneans themselves, and now there are some Controllers who Grayven allowed to also bind themselves to the Orange Central Battery and guide their own branch of Orange Lanterns.

kerleth, Vorian, Xmaster3000 and 5 others like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Nok
    Thank you, corrected.
    Grayven doesn't watch them.
    No, that's correct as it is. It's like a shoulder angel. How would you listen to an angle?

12. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

With my acute hearing so that I got it right instead of being obtuse.

13. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]

14. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

So who else? Talbot and Starfire?

Prince Charon likes this.
  15. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

No no, you have it right. I was confusing her with her Chinese knockoff, Megumin.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  16. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Is that how the Indigo's emulation works? I thought they just had some basic access to any colors.

Also, if Abin Sur founded it, does that mean he found maltusians willing to work with Indigo light since he went and continued as a green lantern? Just trying to understand the logistics of how the Indigo Corps is running itself.

Edit: I wonder how easy Paragon will find finding the Indigo Corps. He got Amon Sur arrested so he can't do what Renegade did to get their attention.

17. gjsponge

gjsponge dank memer

I came here to say i stopped reading the Paragon line quite a while ago, but damn, Renegade is still fire and i am always keen for its updates.

18. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

21st January 2013
    11:39 GMT

"RAAAGHH!"

I nod slowly as the berserker throws himself at the bars, held back only by the chains binding him wrist, ankle and neck. In virtue of the fact that the people of this city know that this isn't a voluntary state the metal rings around those body parts are padded in the hope that doing so will prevent injuries and allow them to one day rejoin society.

"Keep going."

The chief warden nods. "Yes sir. It happens to those who work in the mines, sometimes. They start out just getting a bit snappy, then a few days later they start attacking people in a frenzy."

"It always manifests like that?"

"As opposed to what, sir?"

"The intellectual sort of anger. In a mine, they could do far more damage attacking the shoring posts than they can by attacking other people with their fists."

"No, not that I've ever heard. I suppose that if it was really intellectual, we might not see it. Or not recognise it as special amongst other crimes."

"YAAAGHH!"

"Do they ever come out of it?"

"Supposedly. It's hard to feed them or clean them. They keep fighting when we drug them unless we give them enough to kill them. But we've got records which say that if they live long enough, the madness fades."

"How long?"

"Three years." He makes a negative gesture. "But miners are strong and tough, and it's hard for them to sleep like this. The ones who recovered were old. Easier to restrain, so it wasn't as much of a risk to hold them down."

"How often does this happen?"

"One or two a year. Sometimes none, on the good years. It used to be more, but the Dar a while back ordered the miners to rotate shafts so no one spent too long in the deeps. Cut it right down."

So there's something down there that's doing this.

"Did your people ever find anything that could be a source? Do the miners..? Touch a fragment of something, and that causes it?"

"It's a little difficult to ask them, sir. No one has ever reported anything, and there's nothing that stands out as being something the afflicted share with each other. Other than working in the deeps."

I nod. So, something down there… Maybe they get angry down there and that draws it to them? Can't be conducive to a healthy mental outlook, going that far down. Then the Butcher's Blood supercharges it.

Or it could be something else.

"Is it a problem if I try to help this one?"

"We're used to this, sir. His family has already mourned him."

Right, then let's have a look at you.

Ugh.

Yes, that's clearly not part of his usual mind state. We can see… Red light coiled around his wants, bypassing and subverting them. The part of us that is the Ophidian did not spend much time around the Butcher and didn't care at all for the effect he had on mortal creatures, so we can't tell if this is unusual or not. The underlying desires look like they're still there and are ready to fulfil their purpose, but we can't be certain about that until we give them a tug.

"AAAGHH!"

That made the whole network brighten. The Butcher doesn't want its influence to end, doesn't want them to stop raging, doesn't want them to remember anything else. Or perhaps we're anthropomorphising, and this is just what exposure to the Butcher does to people.

But if pulling doesn't work, we can try eating it. We reach in and pull the power in the strands into our maw, rather than brutishly yanking them aside.

This world is a waste of my time. I should just tear their miserable-.

Hah, hah, good try, push it out push it out of us.

We understand the rules. It needs to go somewhere. We could take these people to Turi, but Draan Del Daar didn't strike us as the sort of Controller who would make an effort to keep his living batteries alive. Which leaves Orion as a potential vessel. I don't like that idea, but exposing him to the red light was part of the plan all along. This just brings it forward a little. Alternatively… We could take them into the deep parts of the mine. Orion could gain exposure in a slightly more controlled way, and we could try to force the red light out of this man and back into whatever it is soaked into.

I take a step back.

"Not easy to remove. I'll have to talk to Orion, first. Can we get access to the deeps?"

"The Dar said that I'm to help you with whatever you want. And you're the one who dealt with that dust cloud; we could see the glow from here. So, yes. I doubt that safety is a problem for you."

"Not from mine works."

I head out of the secure asylum, ignoring as best I can the rage-filled screams from behind the other locked doors. An impressively merciful solution, given their level of technological development. Keeping them like this can't be cheap or easy.

Once I'm out of the building I fly up to where Orion is on overwatch, his arms folded across his chest.

"These wars are needlessly wasteful."

"No argument here. But building civilisation is a long road with more than a few bumps along it. If people can't learn from the horror, why would they try something different?"

"A council of despair." "I illuminate the path."

"It would be despair if I thought they wouldn't learn eventually. You were right, by the way. It's either the Butcher, or something close enough."

"The ruler who blew open the supervolcano needed only his own greed and pride. These miners labour long and well, and are rewarded with madness. I do not like this world."

"It's a bit of a fixer-upper. Listen, there's a few options for how to-."

"Which one restores the reason of the afflicted miners soonest?"

"The one where I transfer their rage into you."

He turns his astro-harness so that he's facing me.

"And you fear the result?"

"Yes."

"Will it be stronger than the ring will be?"

"You'll have less control, but… No. At peak draw, the ring will be stronger."

"Then do not think me too weak to withstand it, or too delinquent to avoid doing what I know is right. Take me to them." "Because despite my father, I am a hero."

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  19. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

So hyped for this..... Please don't skip the scene.

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'fulfill'.

I like how this shows that Orion, for all his faults, is truly a hero.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"Dal"

22. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Not with that attitude it isn't.

Not in his country, fellow Colonial.

23. Coltsguy

Coltsguy Colts fan. Anime fan. Breast and back fan.

You realize that's the entire reason they're there? Skipping it would literally be antithetical to the storytelling we've come to expect here.

24. Bigking321

Bigking321 Not too sore, are you?

Orion is making a good showing of himself.

Greatest weakness and problem? His rage.

Solution to helping some random people? Absorb their rage.

No hesitation. Let's do it.

Hat's off to ya you noble rage monster.

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...Well, I'd say that's a pretty good sign that they're on the right track. I can't imagine restraining him in the first place was easy, though. Still, at least he isn't spitting napalm. That might be bad...

I wonder how hard it is to tell the 'snappy' mood from their usual temper. Because I suspect whatever's causing this, it's drawn to those already disposed to anger.

Well, spitting napalm or being surrounded in flames of Rage might be a bit too blatant.

Fortunately, the Butcher's expression of anger is rarely so subtle. More of a drive to smash what's making them angry, to beat and rip and tear until the target is nothing but a red smear of meat and bone... :confused: Anything but subtle.

I'd be more worried about how long they'd survive in this state in the first place.

A lucky few. Not great for them.

And there's only so many ways to restrain them with any kind of dignity, isn't there? Too much slack, and they could manage to tangle and strangle themselves - or someone trying to help them - in their chains. Too little, and they're basically bolted in place, unable to do more than spit and snarl, and needing every human need taken care of.

And the longer the exposure, the worse it gets, and the more likely to overload them...

So it could be in the air, or conducted through the stone. Or even just be radiated from somewhere deep below.

A cultural thing, perhaps? Frustration over perceived low pay for hard work, or discontent at home that lingers into the work day...

Given how hard it seems to be for them to survive, that's honestly sensible.

I can just picture his desires. It looks suspiciously like a medieval version of Doom. :p The full on, memetic Doom.

So, the Rage is like a cancer upon their emotional networks?

Given how being near the Ophidian in full glory made people greedy and desirous, or Ion encouraging stubbornness and determination, I can see it.

He's seen worse thoughts during the process of gaining Enlightenment, after all.

And better to remove the root cause, than benefit from it. Just taking these unfortunates would strike me as more of a Renegade choice. No, not the other timeline, but in the mechanical sense.

I hope you're ready for what you might find.

Not with all his protective options, no. Assuming he even bothered to hang around during a cave-in, unless he weren't alone.

Wonder what he thinks of all that. Waste of time? Unnecessary mercy? Or can he see the compassionate reasoning for it?

And those who haven't experienced the deprivations or suffering would likely not understand why it's a bad thing either. A cruel cycle of trying to cast something grim aside, only for those who come after to find it anew like a shiny toy on the path...

Ah, close enough for government work.

He probably sees a little of Apokalips, in the constant warfare and scrabbling for more.

That's going to make a fair amount of spiritual noise.

Frenzied, rampaging New God with an energy weapon system capable of vaporising whole cities? What's there to be afraid about that? ;)

...Maybe like 0.001% of the intensity, I bet.

Hold on to that focus, Orion. You'll get through this.

Oh, yes. :rolleyes: No downsides to this idea at all. With any luck, it works and the victims are cured, while Orion gets a little taste of what he's going to have to figuratively wrestle down. Or they could inadvertently summon the Butcher, and Orion gets a chance to literally wrestle with his anger. :D Either way, they learn something.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  26. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Okay... That Line is just... Chills... Soo cool.

27. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

So..
    Wouldn't a Red Ring empowered Orion be pretty much number 1 with a bullet to be the new Destruction like Paul was for Desire? And isn't Destruction vacant?

28. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Zoat has a tendency, on occasion, to jump forward past events and then talk about them later, especially if they're not IMMEDIATELY vital.

He wouldn't skip over finding the cause, but jumping over putting the anger in Orion to just immediately see results is not out of the realm of possibility.

29. Mr Zoat

No it shouldn't.
    No, that's correct. The cities have experienced a degree of linguistic drift and don't all use the same word. See 'Caesar', 'Kaiser' and 'Tzar'. Or 'Dux' and 'Duke'.
    It's tomorrow. I'm not skipping it.

30. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

as hilarious as that would be, did that maybe get autocorrected from 'Maltus'?