1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Yes, yes it is.

Want to calm things down? Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

2. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

I suppose Paul doesn't have sufficient investment in this planet to do the "give me ash" thing he used to extract all the plastic from Earth's oceans? If that worked it could be compressed and returned to the source volcano.

mastermenthe likes this.
  3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Because in any culture, imported clothing and fashion suggests richness and sophistication. Just look at how popular silk was back in the Medieval and Renaissance periods, when it's rarity made it incredibly expensive, having to be carried thousands of leagues from China...

Huh. :confused: And here I was expecting a frothing madman or a cackling, calculating schemer. Nope, just a young king who messed up?

And ultimately, the final say-so would have been his, wouldn't it?

Well, at least there's no immediate risk of further popped geological zits.

And really, interstellar trade would likely come in technology that can't be reproduced locally.

Or other precious materials. I doubt slavery is a currency either. Who'd need living people who don't like you, that you'd need to transport alive to where you need them, and are likely less efficient than synthetic workers anyway?

Now see, some people would be tempted to take advantage of a blank check like that...

Well, I'm convinced. Even a low level of empathic sight isn't needed to see how regretful he is.

And naturally, it was one of the most spinwards mountains that exploded, wasn't it? So that plume covers most of the inhabitable world...

Better a few nasty storms than seeing their world smothered to death by ash...

No point cleaning up the symptoms when the cause is still cooking, yes...

Ah, dumping a few million tons of shredded ice on it? :p Turn it into a giant snowcone?

See, when OL wants to move fast, he moves fast, doesn't he?

Hey, at least you weren't the final projectile that shattered his avatar. That would have been a trip.

...Huh. A literal plug? Hopefully noticeably softer than the rock of the mountain proper, so any pressure probably gets to work its way through eventually, slowly...

Oh, joy. Dusting. The bane of many a collector of stylish tchotchkes like gaming miniatures or robot models.

I don't know... how much of a rush are you in?

Heh. probably for the best. If Dox's design goes wrong, how would you know, short of catastrophic backfires?

...About on par with the shield you made to protect the NEMO Fleet that one time?

So you'll miss some of the stuff on the ground. But better to miss a little than catch something you don't want. Like trees. Houses. Livestock... People. :confused:

...And shit like this is why people start to worship Lanterns, you know.

Huh. How fortuitous. I guess shouting loudly at people worked?

I wonder how much of their little information-gathering success was Orion's part, and how much was Jade's? At any rate, once OL's done with cleanup, they can hopefully go pick up the macguffin and send it on back with Orion. Then OL can have words with the people selling nukes to people with little knowledge of vulcanology and potential geological disasters?

4. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

Didn't he do literally the same thing he's doing here? Make a large-ish construct and vacuum it up over time?

Ardy likes this.
  5. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Well, part of this would be easy to fix. Just filter the salt out of the water that's being used before spraying it. Still ash sludge, but not salting the earth.

6. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

"Good news, we found it. Bad news, it found Orion. He's uh... no longer controlling his rage."

It means that they should break up, and OL should reconnect with the Spider Queen.

7. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Well he certainly learned his lesson. Which puts him above most leaders who screw up I suppose.

…been watching spaceballs by any chance?

Nice to see he wasn’t just sitting around looking pretty.

8. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

I'm still catching up so I only comment when I feel I have to, and this qualifies. I love the subtle ways which Zoat has to show how different lantern interact differently with their rings. The short burst of intuitive information Alyn gets without a visible prompt as his need prompts it to share with him, combined with the very obvious manual requests he makes for more complex information. The extremely concise request of the Coluan and her ability to directly interpret a cortical dump.

I think that should probably be "I'd" for "I'd have tried acquiring.".

I love when invisitext has a link because it makes it so much less intrusive to search for. I miss when we could use a plug-in to outline invisitext, so we didn't have to highlight everything. Also, Zartok is definitely not blue, and feels much more Red or maybe Black than Green. I guess that I'm probably reading too much into an Easter egg.

9. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

depends on the plug. Also, this volcano already erupted.

10. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

I don't think the words "Normal human behavior" have ever made me laugh that hard. Thanks, Zoat.

Vorian, mastermenthe and Ardy like this.
  11. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

You shouldn't have been able to do this. The asteroid is not a sentient being with wants and desires that you can teleport to through the Honden. Just warp there normally. Or warp it to you. You want the asteroid, so you can have it, sure, but this goes against your established mechanism for greedyporting to particular sets of desires. Just shoot out an orange tether at FTL speeds through warp and yank it to you.
    This depends on the nature of the plug. If you go for a full seal, then yes, that just makes the pressure start building again, ensuring a second eruption further down the line.
    However if you put a tap on the side to it can just continue venting lava downhill as fast as it builds up out across some region of countryside you don't care about into the ocean to make more landmass, without spewing out ash clouds, then you've got a long term solution.

kerleth, Vorian, boo600 and 5 others like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

13. Mr Zoat

14. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

I really wonder what he's thinking of, and I now feel the sting of having caught up. At least for the Renegade's side. After the discussion between Sunset and Celestia I became invested enough that I decided to skip all the main story chapter to focus on this story line.

Ardy likes this.
  15. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

Controlled venting is such a wonderful solution. I have this theoretical idea for a way to make certain volcanic mountains IRL much safer to humanity by deliberately weakening one area of the mountain to ensure that its next eruption will vent in a harmless (or, at least, least-harmful) direction. It'll never happen, though, because it would involve explosively fracking the rock in the desired vent area, and it wouldn't be affordable unless we used nuclear fracking charges--which would have certain other issues involving "fission products" and "vast area dispersal" if the eruption isn't willing to wait for at least a century or two before happening...

Still, though, I think that being able to ensure that Mount Rainier vents to the northeast (where there's basically nothing to damage for a couple hundred miles) instead of towards Spokane or the Seattle-Tacoma area would be useful...

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  16. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Greedporting also covers areas where desires were present recently enough to linger, so the only explanation needed is that this was either a part of the planets orbital path or that one of the trade ships passed through that spot.

boo600 and mastermenthe like this.
  17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The second worst thing.

The first worst thing you could do is flash freeze it, because that would cause a combination of shrinkage and additional pressure buildup under the frozen part.

boo600 likes this.
  18. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

21st January 2013
    11:23 GMT

"Green Lantern Jordan."

Ub'x raises his staff in greeting to Jordan, while all Jordan does in return is frown.

"Do..? I know you?"

Ub'x looks… No, feels disappointed. Not.. sure what's going on there. Did he want Jordan to remember his criminal career?

"No, but I met your predecessor. A great man, Lantern Sur."

"Ah. Yeah." His frown deepens. "This is gunna sound like a strange question, but do you know Lantern Ch'p?"

"Yes. Quite well, actually, though I've been out of touch for a while."

He raises his staff, and Jordan nods.

"Yeah, I hear that. It's a full time job and then some. Okay, Grayven, you've found a… Purple Lantern. Why do you want Psycho Pirate's mask?"

I cringe theatrically. "It turns out that while Guardian Ganthet is working on a blue power ring, it's nowhere near ready for a field test. That leaves me at a loss for a source of hope."

"And you wanna use his mask? Would that work?"

"Won't know until we try. Making people feel emotion is what it does, but obviously it doesn't manifest actual constructs. I'm hoping that the feeling alone will be enough to count."

"So who's going to wear it? You?"

"No, I'll need to focus on using my yellow ring. I was going to offer it to Luna, on the grounds that she's touched the blue light before."

"I don't think it'll fit on her face."

"She's an immensely powerful magical demigoddess pony. I'm sure that she can manage to hold it on while she uses it."

"What, with her hoof?"

"No, her horn."

"What, you're just gunna stick it on there?"

"With her horn's magic. Look, I know perfectly well that there's no established procedure for releasing these things, and there's no way that Batman's taken it since it's a magic device and he doesn't do those. So either Giovanni's got it and I need to talk to him, or it's up here and you can approve its release. I hate to be a nag-"

"You allowed to say that word?"

"-but I doubt that having his brain exposed to all the evil on his planet is doing King Sombra any good, so if I could have a decision..?"

"And if I say 'no', you'll accept that?"

I look away, scratch my nose and shift my feet. "Yes."

Jordan doesn't look impressed. "That was on purpose."

"Fine. I'll accept it, and then open a portal to a parallel universe… Earth Fifty? And borrow theirs. I'm asking you because I'm aware that the League likes to keep tabs on me and I don't want to make that harder for you than it needs to be."

"Weren't you dating their Supergirl?"

"We went on one date and she treated it like a hostage situation."

"So you haven't told her about the pony."

"If you're not going to give me the darn mask, just say so."

He thinks for a moment. "Okay. But it's my responsibility. I need to be there every step of the way."

"You… Want to come to magical pony wor-?"

"No, but I'm going to anyway. Wait here while I get it out of storage."

Jordan flies off into the secure parts of the Watchtower. From which Batman presumably removed my access overrides after I rebuilt it… Two years ago? Huh. Doesn't time fly when you spend hundreds of years in the far future?

Ub'x looks around. "This looks like a Green Lantern Corps Sector House."

"That's because it is one, remodelled a few times. Humans have only recently reached the point where flying in space is a regular thing. Do you want to meet the people you'll be working with?"

"That's probably for the best. Though I do have another question."

"Yes?"

"You knew that Indigo Lanterns exist. You knew that we were founded by Abin Sur, and you knew that our corps is based on planet Nok. You even recognised me, though you were surprised that I have an indigo power ring."

"Yes?"

"But you haven't asked me to use the blue light on your behalf."

"No? Why, is that surprising?"

"Indigo Lanterns who are doing penance can use other colours of light."

What?

I frown. "How?"

"Their core psyches are still intact. But with their evil suppressed by compassion, the better angels of their nature are brought to the fore, shorn of the particularity of their vice."

What?

"They can use whatever colour related to what happened to get one of us to stick an indigo ring on them. Iroque relished the fear she saw in her victims, so these days she can use the yellow light."

"Her constructs are made more powerful by the people who fear her, and them?"

"No, when you use an indigo ring, it doesn't work quite like that. Her constructs are fairly weak."

I frown. Ah. I.. don't remember that from the comics, but… It was a while ago.

"So… There's… Someone who can use the blue light?"

"It's unusual, as our penitents are violent criminals. But there are one or two."

"Was there a reason why you didn't volunteer that information earlier?"

"Because I wanted to see how you would work around the problem before I let you know. You're not supposed to know anything about us."

"Okay." I glance in the direction Jordan flew off in. "So are you offering, or are we going with the mask?"

"Oh, we can try both. A mission of mercy working alongside the leader of the Orange Lantern Corps seems like a good way to introduce us to the wider universe."

"Good man. Grayven to Ghia'ta."

Her face appears over my ring. "Yes?"

"We need to go rescue my future sister-in-law's boyfriend. He sacrificed his mind by absorbing the evil from two evil magicians who were threatening her and her realm."

Her face metaphorically lights up. "They love one another?"

"They're each the only person the other has been interested in in a thousand years."

The space next to me crystallises for a moment before Ghia'ta steps through.

"Then in the name of love, let none stand before us!"

I regard her placidly for a moment.

"Magic girl anime is not a how to guide."

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Neruz, Turalon94, explbean and 150 others like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Add a " at the second sentence.

No, you love it.

"that having"

"spend"

I mean Hitler kinda made the people of Germany hopeful for a better future.

But it works.

20. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Bullshit.

21. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Actually there are worse role models that Anime Sailor Moon.

Manga Sailor Moon is... way too into sex.

22. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

angles
    I think? I've never seen this phrase before either way.

Xelloss likes this.
  23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Come, now, Jordan. It's not the first time you've met a talking zoomorph. Hell, one or two of your co-workers are such. x3 Still, at least Ub'X agreed to do this. Hopefully without too many strings attached.

I mean, he probably has a small amount of personal pride in it. Even if he's doing penance for it...

Of course that's where he starts...

At least he gets the logic of their equipment. I guess the Renegade filled him in beforehand.

Indigo, thank you. I mean, it technically is purple, but still...

...Ah, Renegade? Forgetting something about Indigo Lanterns? Honestly, surprised Ub'X hasn't spoken up yet.

...Sort of? Not sure if using it in a dream quite counts...

To be fair, Psycho Pirate originally carried multiple masks. Hayden simply melted them together, somehow, without destroying their power... Just imagine him carrying around a little bag of masks. :p

Honestly, Jordan, read up on the Ponies, before you end up offending someone?

...You can't even help making the horse puns, can you, Renegade? ;)

I doubt the locals appreciate it much either. And saving people is part of a Green Lantern's job.

I mean... Is their secure vault Boom Tube-proof? :sneaky:

And with any luck, Universe 50's Ganthet might have made better progress on a Blue Ring, too.

Well, you did come on a bit strong when you first met. And trolled her mercilessly.

<Implied Facepalm.jpg> I suppose with that face, the Renegade can pull it off nicely.

Oh, please do make him use the mirror. And then Boom Tube there. :V The troll-face will be glorious.

Wow, already nearly three years through the original five-to-six-year plan... It sure doesn't really feel like it.

Though your little Space Fleet project is going to be changing that up soon enough.

Ah, here comes the 'Indigo can copy other colours, you know.' snark.

The joy of a spotty memory for old comics.

I can just see Ub'X rolling his eyes at the Renegade...

Surprise! :V

So, filtered through a lens of Compassion. Like Enlightenment-lite.

One more 'What', Renegade, and people are going to drag out the Tenth Doctor compilations... :rolleyes:

So it's more like... Emulating it via a very weak colour-changing prism?

Amusingly, OL has also missed that, but I suspect he has the excuse that he hasn't really had a chance to discuss the matter with an Indigo Corpsman.

"...You didn't ask. And I didn't feel the need to offer."

Logical enough. Though I have to wonder what a blue-tuned Indigo Corpsman would be like...

For a second, I thought he was afraid of poking her, but then I realised: Ring Comms. :oops:

...Let's not mention that said evil magicians were the sister-in-law's alternate self and his fiancee's counterpart?

...My god, I can imagine the sparkly anime eyes...

Wow, she's eager.

At least she isn't copying their costumes.. Yet?

Well, looks like the Renegade's almost got the full house together. Just needs to borrow an Orange Corpsman and he's all set. After all, his Red Lantern owes him a few for cleaning out the British government's demon-worshipper problem. So that's a lock. Heck, having to deal with intelligent ponies might be a step up from his co-workers in the interim government. :D

The space next to me crystallises for a moment before Ghia'ta steps through.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  24. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Please tell me she did a pose.

25. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

What forum do you think you're on?

26. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Missing “
    ‘particularity’?
    ’Magical’?

27. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

ITYM "horse pucky".

28. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Do I need to explain the joke to you? With hand puppets?

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Grayven is once more wrong about a thing.

Magical Girl Anime is absolutely a how to guide.

30. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Please say she's in a Fuku!