1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Might want to warn her about Smiley, if he potentially exists, even if not sure. Just so she brings a ray gun with her just in case. If anyone can possibly ray gun the embodiment of a concept, or an elemental, it’s the Sivanas.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

That would risk biasing her study.

3. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

She’s smart. She can account for that. Plus, she can check if Smiley was lying/ telling the truth much more easily than finding the actual cause and she can be ready for a sentient being to try artificially biasing her results. That’s a problem with studies - they all assume there’s nobody behind the scenes pulling the strings and causing artificial bias, but for example a hospital or prison director can limit the patients that can be interviewed, and scientists have to account for that at the very least by saying they still suspect something fucky with their data. OL doesn’t know how powerful he might or might not be, and this seems like something an omniscient being could possibly mess with fairly easily by biasing the sample she ends up choosing in order to hide his existence. He also seems to be limited to Earth (since that’s what heaven affects), so telling her about him on Venus / in transit between Earth and Venus should be safe.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  4. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

If Smiley exists the study could work as a trap for him.

5. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Just because OL wants comic book super tech to be widely available and used doesn't mean the Sivana family can't keep the best stuff or their stuff for them selves, it just means that comic book tech in general becomes widely available.

Drode, Prince Charon and DrThoth like this.
  6. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Yes, and then months later it comes out that he's been sitting on a Kryptonian bacta tank all this time (they used it to fix Match and/or Kara IIRC). Who knows what else he's got up in there that he decided wasn't useful?

7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

To be fair, the purple healing ray is about as useful, and the only reason they needed the Bacta tank was because it had Kryptonian data built in, and was capable of working with super-tough Kryptonian bodies.

8. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

That doesent really mean he can share the technology though, earth seems really bad at reverse engineering alien technology and doesent do much more then putting it in suits. I also doubt we have the recources and industry required to produce any significant amount of them.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Give it to Ted Kord, the resident good super scientist who has experience with alien tech.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Korfayron

Korfayron Making the rounds.

Hopefully there is some outside influence like Smiley stopping humanity doing these things and humans aren't just a bunch of fuck ups.

Cuchulin, Ardy and DrThoth like this.
  11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In DC the watsonian answer is the same a the Doylist answer- Every day technology and society stay the same because the DC writers write it that way.

Bates, Maggin, Diddio, Morrison, Johns, Waid, Rucka, they've all made appearances in DC with author powers.

infinityDivided, Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  12. A_Bibliophage

A_Bibliophage Getting sticky.

The russian and chinese armies sure seem to be able to pull out reverse engineered and scavenged xenotech whenever they need to be plot relevant in DC. Maybe OL should look at what they're doing differently and compare it to the other countries he's been working with.

13. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Now I’m predicting their avatars actually show up to stop Paragon shaking things up even more. Weren’t the Time Tailors based on the writers too? I’m vaguely aware of them but that could be another element.

The first few updates of a new story arc generally aren’t what that arc is actually about, so we might not see pay-off or presumably Boss Smiley until later on. I can’t see how the title relates to this plotline, either. I’m hoping the doppelgängers referred to are Constantine and Golden Boy, but possibly there are mad-science or magical clones of Paragon and/or the Team making an appearance, which seems narratively too similar to the Young Offenders but we’ll see.

I’m curious if Smiley or other potentially esoteric factors behind humanity’s stagnation are an issue in Renegade’s timeline, or if his New Godliness somehow negates that so his spaceship initiative can actually work and become widespread.

Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  14. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thats different, they integrate alien technology into their own, but they dont seem to be capable to make any of it themselves .

Cuchulin and A_Bibliophage like this.
  15. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Thank you!

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  16. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Should he tell her about Smiley?

"Someone pulling strings in the background" would be an obvious explanation, but it might have been all a hallucination after all.

17. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Except that he could just tell her that “someone could be pulling strings in the background” is possible, but not mention it being Boss Smiley. We know, for example, that Vandal Savage was doing it too. That would keep him from creating a fake answer. He could even keep Boss Smiley secret so that results aren’t biased.

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

You.. want to make the mad scientist... More paranoid?

19. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

This way she has a target for her paranoia. She’s actually less paranoid since she knows where the danger is coming from. Otherwise, she may just find what Vandal Savage was doing, in Renegade, which should be fairly easy, and stop there.

20. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Knowing the source is only useful against linear threats; Smiley's indirect methods of influence mean that there'll be affirmation of a threat, and a broad range of potential threat vectors.

Cuchulin and infinityDivided like this.
  21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

At the very least she’ll be prepared, and won’t blame OL when she finds out he knew all along. Because she will, because Smiley can tell her and give her a reason to hold it against him - he’s known to be manipulative. At the very least leave her a way to emergency comunicate with OL if it gets more dangerous than she can handle. He can port in, grab her, and get her to safety now in a manner of nanoseconds. Bound to help with her paranoia. Tell her it’s in case Sheeda attack while she’s not in the bunker. She’s already wary of them.
    If secrecy is important, at least give your purposefully unknowing civilian helper a safety net to prevent all sorts of bad tropes. It’s fine if he doesn’t help other people, they can take care of themselves. But she’s not a fighter, and she almost died recently, so she’s vulnerable.
    OL is putting her in danger, and not telling her, or keeping her safe, which seems like an unheroic thing to do.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  22. Stsword

The Time Tailors, aka the Seven Unknown Men of Slaughter Swamp, seem to be author avatars, they look like Morrison (their co creator) and the renegade Zor had author powers going for him, for example he retconned Zatanna to be his daughter.

Which I thought could have been interesting- a Zatanna with the magic of stories.

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  23. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I almost never remember how they actually look like for some reason. I keep imagining the main Dr. Sivana as looking and sounding like Rusty Venture from the Venture Bros. His mad scientist daughter for some reason I keep imagining as a slightly nerdier looking Kamala Khan from Marvel comics.

I realize this is massively wrong in so many ways. I even know what they each really look like. But this keeps happening for some reason.

True Ninja and RagnarokAscendant like this.
  24. Stsword

Thaddeus Sivana and Thaddeus Rusty Venture do look alike.

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

You mean awesome.
    I still ship her with Dox.

Ardy and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  26. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

By the way, when did Dr Sivana get his magic eye thing? Is it a new 52 invention?

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

Baby steps. At least he thought about artistic ventures briefly and might think about them from time to time as he passes the artwork.

Ardy and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hehehe...

29. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but she's a hypercompetent supergenius with a entire family of supergeniuses to back her up. "civilian" isn't quite the right description.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  30. OrigamiPhoenix

OrigamiPhoenix Getting sticky.

How much does she already know about this topic? I'm pretty sure that her father's origin story had to have come up at some point while the Sivana Fund was going on.

Yeah, literally half his head is his jaw, so any society developed by a species like that will put significant value on dentistry.